1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wuxia/Xianxia/Xuanhuan Self Insert

Discussion in 'General' started by Graeme404, Jan 10, 2023.

?

Which Genre works better in Avatar

1. Wuxia

19 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Xianxia

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Xuanhuan

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Who cares?

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. Graeme404

Graeme404 Not too sore, are you?

After many years of thinking and pondering on writing fanfiction I think I finally got the bug and a particular obsession for this Chinese originated concept for stories.

That said my first works will admittedly probably be... rough.

To help with that if anyone has any games or stories (even fanfiction) that would help with learning more about the Cultivation category that would be very helpful. It would be even more helpful if you all had any ideas you would love to share.

Cause some of the ideas I had percolating in my head included an idea for a self insert into the avatar: last Airbender OR Korra as a powerless normi. Not content with being a potential peon for the powers-that-be I could stumble upon or intentionally TRY to cultivate.

The real issue though wouldn't be progression, cause GRIND (you see the progression!) BUT rather if it would be more interesting to use the more grounded Wuxia or the more fantastical Xianxia/Xuanhuan. I'd even thought of having it be progressive, start more grounded and as it gets into higher stakes inch Wuxia into Xianxia/Xuanhuan. So many ideas!

In any case the general theme on any story would be to grind and rise above my station. Cause screw the Avatars. Screw not being born with the gift to play with a primordial element. I have been at my lowest before and the only person whom I found to lift me up stares back at me every morning in the mirror. Judging, "have you done enough?" "Are you done?", "Is that it?"

Whatever your motivation, self disgust, hatred, love of self, fascination or even just because you enjoy the results of hard work. Hell, all of the above. Cultivation stories remind me that I. am. not. done. yet.

So ya, kinda fascinated by them lol.

Anyway would love to talk about this genre and potential stories and even crossovers.

Thoughts?

Alejandro7u7 and ArsMagna1337 like this.
  2. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

That's what Ideas and Discussion threads in the CW Indexes are for, like this Xianxia thread in the NSFW CW Index

ArsMagna1337 likes this.