1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

I Am So Totally An Evil Overlord [Original Setting]

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Darkened, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

SNIPS THE NSFW PICs....

This is a SFW thread... please make sure there are no NSFW pics?

2. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

[X] Blonde, with curves in all the right places and a bright sunny smile that fails to look menacing no matter how hard you try. Even though everyone always does what you say, no one ever really seems to listen to you. But a true man doesn't sweat the small stuff like that
    [X] Alexandria Costelle
    [X] Read the school's rules. Though it pains you to admit it, Miss Gunson defeated you handily. As a true man your pride demands you listen to the words of the victor.

I made a Name. We can shorten it to Alex for manliness.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  3. MrGazzer

MrGazzer Wabbit

Annnd Done.

I am thoroughly embarrassed.

We need a more noticeable banner to denote that or something.

Please, allow me to wallow in the horrible pit of my shame.

Shame.

4. Biigoh

Tanuki rubs nose with bunny... "Dun be sads... it happens to people."

5. MrGazzer

MrGazzer Wabbit

[img width=600 height=337]http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss242/chibiazura/blog/Nyan03-13.jpg[/img]
    [SHAME WALLOWING INTENSIFIES]

6. Introspective Tinkerer

Introspective Tinkerer Searching for their Answer

7. Biigoh

Why so sad, bunny?

8. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

[X] 1 Alexandria Costelle: (Larekko12)
    [X] 10 Anrietta Tristelle: (Silversun17, Robotninja, Nekraa, dreadis, mannan, Ct613hulu, redaeth, BFldyq, a2znut, Balatro Philologus)
    [X] 1 Eleanor Florian: (Grosstoad)
    [X] 1 Jolyne Angelina: (kinglugia)
    [X] 3 Joseph(ina) Joussineau: (Latewave, mishie, Xicree)
    [X] 2 Sasha Von Lustgarten: (Fellgar, MrGazzer)

[X] 10 Blonde (Silversun17, Nekraa, mannan, Larekko12, Guile, Ct613hulu, redaeth, BFldyq, a2znut, Balatro Philologus, Grosstoad, Carrnage)
    [X] 7 Not actually a girl (Fellgar, Latewave, MrGazzer, Xicree, kinglugia, Robotninja, mishie)
    [X] 1 NERD!: (Valette-Serafina, dreadis)

[X] 1 It seems you have a roommate. Surely if you wait in the room long enough she'll return. Who better to be your first subject on the path to conquest?: (Grosstoad)
    [X] 1 It's time to explore the school!: (Guile)
    [X] 13 Read the school's rules. Though it pains you to admit it, Miss Gunson defeated you handily. As a true man your pride demands you listen to the words of the victor.: (Silversun17, Fellgar, Valette-Serafina, Nekraa, mishie, mannan, Larekko12, Ct613hulu, Carrnage, redaeth, BFldyq, a2znut, Balatro Philologus)

Wanted to update tonight, but sleep calls to me. Votes locked and character sheet is up in the second post. I'll update when I get up.

9. MrGazzer

MrGazzer Wabbit

I have no idea.

My family does have a history of depression. But I feel much better now that I've slept on it. If it was depression, it was a very mild bout.

10. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

As much as it pains you to admit it, Miss Gunson defeated you handily. While you won't let that stop you for long, it's only natural that the loser follows the will of the victor, isn't it? Locating the book atop a bedside table you flip it open and sit down. The book begins with a note to the new students.

Founded in the year 758CL, Saint Isabelle's Academy is one of the oldest and most distinguished houses of scholarship on the
    continent. Our long traditions of excellence in the humanities, arts and thaumaturgical sciences have made Saint Isabelle's
    graduates famous across the whole of the Central Plains. As one of our newest students you are being invited to join a grand
    tradition dating back almost three hundred years.

It is our sincerest hope that your next four years at Saint Isabelle's Academy will be a time of learning and growth as you
    blossom into a marvelous woman worthy of this academy's name.

Sincerely

Dame Sylvia Elvinera
    Instructor of Thamaturgical Sciences, Assistant Dean of Faculty
    Saint Isabelle's Academy For Young Ladies

Bah! You're here so you can obtain the power you'll need to shatter the Earth, the sky and the stars themselves. No fancy academy could possibly change your nature or make you into some prettily wilting flower.

Impatiently, you flip through the book to the table of contents.... Names of past graduates far less amazing than you, school rules you won't follow, descriptions of classes you'll never take. Worthless! To think that a book such as this dares place itself in front of you! But you've decided to read it from cover to cover and a man who is so fickle as to abandon a book like that is no man at all! No matter how much of the day this takes, you'll read and read!

[ ] Charging forward recklessly is the truth of a man's passion. There's no reason to spend more time than you need on such a task as this. Just skim through quickly. Gain Perk: Natural Genius
    [ ] A lion uses all of its strength, even when hunting a mouse! Someone who can't pour their soul and passions into something as pedestrian as a book like this could never challenge a true battlefield. Gain Perk: Diligent Scholar

------------------------------------------------

You're interrupted, a few hours into your reading, by the creaking of your room's door. A head of messy silver-hair pokes its way inside. The girl adjusts her impossibly thick glasses for a moment, stares at you, and proceeds to perform one of the best terrified mouse impersonations you've seen and dash out of the room.

“I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry!” Bah! A true man takes what he wants without apologizing. If she actually entered the wrong room she should at least proudly claim it as hers and demand you switch, “I thought this was my room and umm.... i'ts C17...”

You have no time to deal with this sort of insincere nonsense! And she's probably just your roommate anyway. Standing up you stride boldly toward the door and tear it open. Crossing your arms under your chest you stare down at the girl in front of you. It is kind of nice to see someone who looks less physically incompetent than.... You refuse to be distracted!

“Stop cowering! No roommate of mine can be that shy! If you're a real man then step forward into the room and claim it as your own! You have to have at least that much authority! And apologizing, what kind of man apologizes for anything!? Take what you want and damn the consequences! Crush anyone who dare stands in your path and claim supremacy over all before you! So what if this is the wrong room, now step in here and demand I leave!”

The girl steps backwards a little, as another few heads poke out of the hallway to stare at you.

“B... But I don't think I'm a man....” Disgraceful. Pathetic. Well, a true conqueror can turn even a mouse like this into a murderous killing machine eager to plant a knife in her master's back!

“You think? Or you know?! Well, which is it?”

“I umm....” she absently brushes one finger against her chest, granted that the girl doesn't really have much visible there, “I'm... more or less certain that I'm not a man?”

“More or less?”

Her eyes dart to either side, staring as onlookers poke their heads out of their rooms before falling to the floor. Her hands seem to be shaking a little bit in fear. she hyperventilates for a few moments before finally speaking up.

“I'm not a man?”

“Louder! I can't hear you yet!”

Finally fed up, she adjusts her glasses, and stares you straight in the eyes.

“I'M NOT A MAN!” Oh ho! So there is a spine in there after all. Though it's buried a little deeper than you'd like.

“Well said! Just like that! That's how a real man does it! Now, step inside and demand your place roommate!” You grin, flashing her your most impressive evil smile as you proudly announce yourself to the world.

“Be grateful for the one who will share a sleeping place with you for the next four years is none other than I, that proud conqueror who swallows the sun and chases down the moon, that noble villain who endlessly marches forward, challenging the entire world. Yes, I am none other than the illustrious Anrietta Tristelle! Hitch your dreams to mine and follow along in my wake and together we can conquer even the night sky!

Now, praise your good luck and introduce you....”

That's odd. The girl seems to have scurried away midway through your speech. At least the rest of your audience is still staring at you with something resembling the appropriate awe. Now, where is she.... Oh! That girl over there running down the hallway in tears. You sigh as she stumbles and trips. How hopeless.

[ ] Bah! A true man cares not for the women and children crying in his wake. You couldn't call yourself evil if you didn't make a girl cry every now and then. Besides a true man would never seek to watch his comrades' tears. Onwards to magic before you miss the time for the initiation ceremony. Proudly accepting the consequences of his actions, a man marches endlessly toward his goal, proudly shouldering any sins.

[ ] A man doesn't run from his few mistakes; he bares all and embraces the truth! Not that you really made a mistake or anything like that... The point is that you should chase your probable roommate down and bring her around! So what if you'll probably miss your first chance to learn magic, get in massive trouble or expelled? A true man puts his responsibilities before even his ambitions.

kffs, gammoregan and pepperjack like this.
  11. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

[ ] A lion uses all of its strength, even when hunting a mouse! Someone who can't pour their soul and passions into something as pedestrian as a book like this could never challenge a true battlefield. Gain Perk: Diligent Scholar

[X] A man doesn't run from his few mistakes; he bares all and embraces the truth! Not that you really made a mistake or anything like that... The point is that you should chase your probable roommate down and bring her around! So what if you'll probably miss your first chance to learn magic, get in massive trouble or expelled? A true man puts his responsibilities before even his ambitions.

Dohohoho~

Mousy henchwoman, get.

EDIT:
    Options:
    - Natural Genius: Ease of study, lots of time to goof off, simple
    - Diligent scholar: When you actually put time in studying, you get lots of bonus, complex (can study all the time, or goof off and occasionally study)

- Leave her alone: That's it, you get studies on time
    - Chase her: You might get a Social Link! Or not, but you certainly might get in trouble

12. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Oh right, currently looking for any image that would fit the main character's look as described. Anyone who posts a good find will earn .5+ protagonist points. Preferably not using any character I can actually recognize from an anime/etc.

Key points are mostly blonde, kinda ditzy looking and 14ish.

13. Tempest

Tempest Not too sore, are you?

[X] A lion uses all of its strength, even when hunting a mouse! Someone who can't pour their soul and passions into something as pedestrian as a book like this could never challenge a true battlefield. Gain Perk: Diligent Scholar
    [X] Bah! A true man cares not for the women and children crying in his wake. You couldn't call yourself evil if you didn't make a girl cry every now and then. Besides a true man would never seek to watch his comrades' tears. Onwards to magic before you miss the time for the initiation ceremony. Proudly accepting the consequences of his actions, a man marches endlessly toward his goal, proudly shouldering any sins.

14. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

[X] A lion uses all of its strength, even when hunting a mouse! Someone who can't pour their soul and passions into something as pedestrian as a book like this could never challenge a true battlefield. Gain Perk: Diligent Scholar

[X] A man doesn't run from his few mistakes; he bares all and embraces the truth! Not that you really made a mistake or anything like that... The point is that you should chase your probable roommate down and bring her around! So what if you'll probably miss your first chance to learn magic, get in massive trouble or expelled? A true man puts his responsibilities before even his ambitions.

15. MrGazzer

MrGazzer Wabbit

Boob version:
    [img width=600 height=600]http://s8.postimg.org/r715wd21h/sample_efca014a59e26016995efa95b7a0eaee.jpg[/img]

Adorable version:
    [img width=600 height=450]http://safebooru.org//images/621/a5bd8f785a42c28b72e14d99c17ab934df0857cd.jpg?626363[/img]

16. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

[X] A lion uses all of its strength, even when hunting a mouse! Someone who can't pour their soul and passions into something as pedestrian as a book like this could never challenge a true battlefield.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1798492
    http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1771371
    http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1761305

It's surprisingly difficult to find good pics. Also, MrGazzer, your first pic doesn't show unless one use the link to find it.

17. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

[X] A lion uses all of its strength, even when hunting a mouse! Someone who can't pour their soul and passions into something as pedestrian as a book like this could never challenge a true battlefield.

[X] A man doesn't run from his few mistakes; he bares all and embraces the truth! Not that you really made a mistake or anything like that... The point is that you should chase your probable roommate down and bring her around! So what if you'll probably miss your first chance to learn magic, get in massive trouble or expelled? A true man puts his responsibilities before even his ambitions

18. MrGazzer

MrGazzer Wabbit

Rehosted it, should be fixed now.

19. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

20. Carrnage

Carrnage Well worn.

[X] Charging forward recklessly is the truth of a man's passion. There's no reason to spend more time than you need on such a task as this. Just skim through quickly. Gain Perk: Natural Genius
    [X] Bah! A true man cares not for the women and children crying in his wake. You couldn't call yourself evil if you didn't make a girl cry every now and then. Besides a true man would never seek to watch his comrades' tears. Onwards to magic before you miss the time for the initiation ceremony. Proudly accepting the consequences of his actions, a man marches endlessly toward his goal, proudly shouldering any sins.

21. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

((Not quite seeing anything that's a perfect fit in images. One or two might work, but I'll leave the decision open until you actually get magic and take it to a vote.... If you ever manage that and nothing perfect comes up in the interim.))

People—when they're not so blinded by your obvious awesomeness to think straight—naturally tend to assume you're a genius. Well, you obviously qualify if you say so yourself. But the truth of the matter is that you simply chase down new knowledge with the same determination you'll one day use on conquering the world. Once you deem it necessary to know something, you go to every length to master even the smallest details about it. Day by day, you conquered your parents pocketbooks and acquired more and more research materials.

Tearing innocent words from helpless pages, you devoured each book in turn. (Well, you only literally devoured the one and, despite how manly and evil a learning method it seemed at the time, that only made you sick.) The result of your daily endeavors is twofold. Firstly you've obtained knowledge far exceeding your years in several subjects. While people find you strangely ignorant of other things, when it comes to the things you know even professionals are dazzled by your brilliance.
    (Choose four topics, no topic may be selected more than twice.)

[ ] Economics- Money is the root of all evil! You who seeks the darkness naturally had to delve into this pursuit.
    [ ] Theology- The church is a powerful force of good in this world. “Know thine enemy” is a wise expression indeed.
    [ ] Mathmatics- The purest form of logic, a true man can surely make even numbers change before his raw might!
    [ ] History- Many in history are deemed great men and monsters. How could you outdo them all if you didn't even learn of their feats?
    [ ] Magic- When all is said and done, nothing is more appropriate for a dark lord than the power to set one's enemies aflame with a thought.
    [ ] Literature/poetry- Seeking to better understand the darkness in man's heart you sought the heart's greatest translators. Unfortunately it was a lot more sappy introspective bullshit than true wisdom!
    [ ] The Natural Sciences- Refusing to follow any laws, nature's or man's, you sought out the former that you might overthrow their tyrany and replace them with your own iron grip. You're still working on that one.
    [ ] Write-in- Oh? Is there some knowledge darker yet than any of the topics above? Naturally you're already a master.

The second benefit is that you've learned to focus on studying to the exclusion of all else. You almost named this, your first true technique as an overlord the “All Seeing Conquere'r Book Severing Eye” but the truth is that this fearsome study method outdoes any name you could possibly grant it. Primitive and powerful, your study habits are merely a natural extension of your personality whose pure barbaric manliness defies any name.

Merely reading passively does not suit you. No, you must tear into every page, chasing each word down until it surrenders and begs you to take every last speck of wisdom it has to offer. Only then will you turn the page, abandoning those poor shattered words amidst a tortured sea of notes in the margins.

This is this skill that you use to ravage your student handbook. You just have to lie well enough to convince yourself studying is manly give your all to even this flowery and... and.... girly text.

Perk Gained: Diligent Scholar: Contrary to appearances you're actually quite dedicated when you're motivated enough to try.
    Training for any cognitively demanding task or skill takes roughly twice as long but becomes several times more effective.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [X] 5 A man doesn't run from his few mistakes; he bares all and embraces the truth! Not that you really made a mistake or anything like that... The point is that you should chase your probable roommate down and bring her around! So what if you'll probably miss your first chance to learn magic, get in massive trouble or expelled? A true man puts his responsibilities before even his ambitions.:

You're an amazing person and you've never done anything in your entire life you regret! Still, this puny wallflower does seem to be your roommate. The important word in that sentence is, naturally, 'your'. Rather, it means she belongs to you! And you're just the kind of greedy tyrant that won't tolerate her possessions being anything less than perfect.

So what if you're running out of time for initiating yourself into magic? So what if you end up missings the matriculation ceremony? From the start those were just things other people decided. That they'd blithely assume a free-spirit like you would play along is simply their own poor thinking. They better well make time for you if you need it. Naturally there's only one thing to do.

“WAAAIITTT!” You chase after your erstwhile roommate, turning your gazelle-like tread to your natural advantage and managing to almost close the distance without tripping more than once! A silver-haired pair of glasses glances back to see you charging at her, then turns and starts running even faster and crying even louder.

More and more heads pop out of doorways as your fellow new students attempt to identify the commotion. Well, this is only natural! Yes, more and more attention. Let every eye focus on you and behold the style of a true monster! Still, this silver haired girl seems to have discovered your one weakness. How unlucky, or perhaps this is her cleverness at work.

“Wa... it... up....” Your lungs burn and barbed needles of pain jab through your legs. But still you run. 30 feet, 40... just like the hunters in your species' distant path you chase your opponent longer and harder than any being was ever meant to run. No, you will not surrender to mere biology! Through sheer willpower you surpass your body's limits, chasing your prey awkwardly down one flight of stairs, then another then toward the front door.

Finally your silver haired prey grinds to a stop, panting, out of breath and looking appropriately terrified of your presence. Eager for the kill you dash toward your roommate. And yet....

The closed hand falls on your head like a hammer, a gentle admonishment to do better. People say that true men let their fists do the talking, so naturally you understand perfectly.

“A proper young lady does not run in the halls. Is that understood; Miss Meleran, Miss Tristelle? ” Pinned under Gunson's intense glare, the only thing you can do is nod. Your silver-haired roommate seems to be too busy doing her best imitation of an out of breath tomato too even move. Hah! Shame, how quaint. Still experiencing mere mortification is clearly just the kind of weakness you'll need to train her—Meleran was it—out of if she wants to be your minion.

Yes! You'll use Miss Gunson's timely intervention to drag Meleran back to your room alone so you can thoroughly reeducate her. Grinning proudly you move to take her by the hand and pull her away.

“And where do you think you're going Miss Tristelle.” You freeze, inches from Meleran's arm. Gunson continues in a tone that's just a little too calm, “I trust a girl with your well established academic credentials would not forget the fact that she has somewhere she needs to be. It would be... unfortunate if you had such difficulties.”

“Of course not!” you respond at once. Best to clear up this misunderstanding now, “I'd simply decided to do chase down my roommate inste...” Gunson's fist does a wonderful job at communicating that she doesn't care to hear the rest of your explanation.

“Strangely,” you continue, “I feel as if the most logical step on my path to greatness is to go perform the initiation ceremony.” Laughing proudly, and struggling not to pant for breath or let anyone see how faint you feel at the moment, you turn and march out the door. Obviously you pay no mind to any of the eyes staring at your back, any of the girls already starting to gossip about the chase or Meleran's quiet sobbing.

Still, this initiation ceremony itself leaves you with a dilemma. From what you understand there's a certain religious value attached to the act of learning magic. Despite how obvious it is that any self-respecting evil would master the arcane, common fools mistake magic for a gift from the gods. Indeed all those half-assed heroes who've earned the title “saint” seem to have been passable magicians.

Can you really partake in such a baptism? The ceremony seems to be a time of purification, of renewal where your slate is wiped clean and you're officially reborn as an innocent. For someone as uprightly evil as you, is it really alright to bow to such a sacrosanct ceremony?

[ ] Tradition has its value as well. If you didn't extend good the smallest respect, could you really call yourself evil? Play along for now. This is just a learning experience so you can make your own super-evil manly initiation ceremony of brotherhood later.
    [ ] Well, you shouldn't ignore tradition entirely, but as a dark lord you should plan to go into this with your own properly evil spin on this. Such free expression is the mark of a true man after all.
    [ ] You refuse to accede to such a foolish tradition. Enter and demand at once that they let you skip the ceremony. A conqueror must always be an iconoclast, even if it means she never gets to learn magic.
    [ ] Write-in

kffs, gammoregan and pepperjack like this.
  22. Grosstoad

[X] Theology- The church is a powerful force of good in this world. “Know thine enemy” is a wise expression indeed.
    [X] History- Many in history are deemed great men and monsters. How could you outdo them all if you didn't even learn of their feats?
    [X] Magic- When all is said and done, nothing is more appropriate for a dark lord than the power to set one's enemies aflame with a thought.
    [X] Literature/poetry- Seeking to better understand the darkness in man's heart you sought the heart's greatest translators. Unfortunately it was a lot more sappy introspective bullshit than true wisdom!

We have to take Magic, and those who does not know History is doomed to repeat it.
    Lit/Poetry helps our character, since she is someone who craves public attention, literature and poetry might influence her public speaking ability as well...
    Knowing the weight of words, whether to incite the intellectual elite or the common rabble.
    I'll round up with Theology for a rhetoric-spouting charismatic overlord type.

On the other hand, a Magic-History-Math-Economics is an interesting type of overlord as well. More of the Maou from Mao-Yuu, though.
    Unsure where to combo Natural Science, maybe with Math, Magic, and Medicine, for a Mad Scientist type?

[X] Well, you shouldn't ignore tradition entirely, but as a dark lord you should plan to go into this with your own properly evil spin on this. Such free expression is the mark of a true man after all.

23. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

[X] Economics- Money is the root of all evil! You who seeks the darkness naturally had to delve into this pursuit.
    [X] Mathmatics- The purest form of logic, a true man can surely make even numbers change before his raw might!
    [X] Magic- When all is said and done, nothing is more appropriate for a dark lord than the power to set one's enemies aflame with a thought.
    [X] The Natural Sciences- Refusing to follow any laws, nature's or man's, you sought out the former that you might overthrow their tyrany and replace them with your own iron grip. You're still working on that one.
    [X] Tradition has its value as well. If you didn't extend good the smallest respect, could you really call yourself evil? Play along for now. This is just a learning experience so you can make your own super-evil manly initiation ceremony of brotherhood later.

Money Talks bullshit walks. Be The Renaissance Man and break from the Past with the full understanding of the world of nature magic, logic, and economics. Beside Math and econ should synergise. Nat Sciences and Magic should synergise. Get better with Nat sciences by learning how to flout them and vise versa.

24. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

[X] Economics- Money is the root of all evil! You who seeks the darkness naturally had to delve into this pursuit.

[X] History- Many in history are deemed great men and monsters. How could you outdo them all if you didn't even learn of their feats?

[X] The Natural Sciences- Refusing to follow any laws, nature's or man's, you sought out the former that you might overthrow their tyranny and replace them with your own iron grip. You're still working on that one.

[X] Tradition has its value as well. If you didn't extend good the smallest respect, could you really call yourself evil? Play along for now. This is just a learning experience so you can make your own super-evil manly initiation ceremony of brotherhood later.

25. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

[X] Magic
    [X] Magic 2

[X] The Natural Sciences
    [X] The Natural Sciences 2

Slight vote change. Focusing is a good idea.

[X] Well, you shouldn't ignore tradition entirely, but as a dark lord you should plan to go into this with your own properly evil spin on this. Such free expression is the mark of a true man after all.

But that doesn't mean we should bend our head.

26. Carrnage

Carrnage Well worn.

[X] Magic
    [X] Magic 2

[X] The Natural Sciences
    [X] The Natural Sciences 2

27. Grosstoad

Hmm, there is that focusing thing...
    Good catch, red & Carr, I totally missed that and read that as you can't vote twice on a subject.

28. Latewave

Latewave No one remembers who I am anymore.

[X] The Natural Sciences- Refusing to follow any laws, nature's or man's, you sought out the former that you might overthrow their tyranny and replace them with your own iron grip. You're still working on that one

29. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Calling the votes now as follows:
    [X] 6 Magic: (redaeth, Carrnage, Larekko12, Latewave, Grosstoad, Ct613hulu)
    [X] 5 The Natural Sciences: (redaeth, Carrnage, Latewave, Ct613hulu, Larekko12)
    [X] 3 Economics- (Larekko12, Latewave, Ct613hulu)
    [X] 3 History- (Latewave, Grosstoad, Ct613hulu)
    [X] 2 Magic 2: (redaeth, Carrnage)
    [X] 2 The Natural Sciences 2: (redaeth, Carrnage)
    [X] 1 Literature/poetry- (Grosstoad)
    [X] 1 Mathmatics- (Larekko12)[X] 1 Theology- (Grosstoad)

[X] 2 Tradition has its value as well. If you didn't extend good the smallest respect, could you really call yourself evil? Play along for now. This is just a learning experience so you can make your own super-evil manly initiation ceremony of brotherhood later.: (Larekko12, Ct613hulu)
    [X] 3 Well, you shouldn't ignore tradition entirely, but as a dark lord you should plan to go into this with your own properly evil spin on this. Such free expression is the mark of a true man after all.: (redaeth, Carrnage, Grosstoad)

30. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Perk Gained: Specialist

You studied economics, the art of buying and selling, the ways the prices of goods change and their values. You've learned to use market forces to twist the hearts of men, to press down on the people with an invisible hand they can scarcely comprehend.

Knowledge Gained: Economist (prodigy)

You studied history: the rise and falls of empires, the triumphs of darkness and, uggh, of light over darkness. You read of the empire in its pristine state, expanding across the continent for hundreds of years ago before the last real emperor was assassinated by the most recent dark lord and the ten years of darkness he brought. You studied how Saint Isabelle—whose school you now attend—defeated him and his hordes of goblins, but couldn't restore the central monarchy.

You studied the hundreds of years of petty wars between petty countries that have followed. It disgusted you, to realize that the world you'll conquer isn't even going to be properly united in opposition to you, but you learned nonetheless.

Knowledge gained: Historian (prodigy)

You studied the natural world, learning that all things fall toward each other, that the Earth revolves around the Sun and is, in fact, a sphere no matter how flat it looks. You studied inventions: the printing press and the flood of books that came with it, machines and scattered bits of knowledge. Not knowing much math has hurt you here. But still you read of those intellectual tyrants who dared rise up against orthodoxy and convention, who carved their names and their discoveries into history.

Sure, you respect those puny intellectual giants—even if so many of them have been 'good guys' with the church—but you've grasped their secret. More than any knowledge, you’ve learned the fundamental methods of researcn. You learned the value of falsification and controlled experimentation. Naturally you’ll soon surpass those famous scientists and truly make the laws of nature bow before you!

Knowledge gained: Scientist (prodigy)

Mostly though, you studied magic. Magic—not science or history or math or literature—is the skill that defines a dark lord. Every one in history, pathetic as they seem next to you, has stood head and shoulders above their brethren as a mage. Of course you've learned, everything you could without being able to actually do magic yourself or read much theology.

You know that magic is seen as a gift of the gods—though you don't really know why—that the potential for it lingers in everyone and doesn't change throughout a mage's life. You learned that each mage has three elements, but that almost all mages just have one of a small set of incredibly common elements: earth, fire, wind and water. Most mages only have the same element three times. nd a mage who has one element that’s even a slightly rarer is almost certain to be quite powerful. (Obviously, you'll have three different non-standard elements, and if you don't, you'll just figure out how to punch your soul until you do. That's just how a real man works.)

Knowledge Gained: Thaumaturge (Expert)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fortunately you know just what's required of you in this ritual, so it isn't hard to prepare yourself ahead of time to give the manliest evilest answers you can. You take a few moments to plan, not to catch your breath or wipe away the sweat from your earlier chase or anything like that which you don’t need to do. Then you slam open the large doors of the magic building—far larger than any of the others on campus—and stride inside.

With only a few complaints about how late you are, you're quickly ushered down a rickety flight of stairs into a dark basement room. Quietly the door locks behind you, and you're left alone in silence.

Ostensibly because magic is that which illuminates the void, the ceremony always begins in darkness. Really, you can't help but think it's simply to unnerve those silly virtuous oafs who haven’t yet abandoned the light. Most applicants are expected to be fairly ignorant of the process, and the actual ritual isn't really necessary to initiation. The only real magic here is the circle of glyphs your sure is somewhere in this room. The rest is just showmanship and intimidation.

You laugh at such pathetic tricks. You’ll devour any such petty darkness that dares attempt to scare yoU! The pure black of your soul could easily outshroud this mere absence of light. Yes,

darkness matches you! Light is just an annoying convenience so those who aren't real men don't lose their way or run into each other!

Purely to spite you and your darkness, a single candle sparks into orange light in front of you. Dimly it flickers in the darkness, desperately striking out against the shadows all around. You bite back the urge to snuff it out on principle.

“The supplicant may approach.” The voice tries to sound deep, but its owner can't be much older than you and it just ends up squeaking a little. At this point you're supposed to be intimidated, or humble if you know what to expect. Instead you lift one leg high and stomp the ground as loudly as you can. Savoring each storm-like footfall you march forward, smirking at the unseen face beyond the candle's flame.

A second candle sparks to life behind you, then a third, leaving you at the center of a triangle. They’ll mark the perimeter of the glyphs then, showing those administering the ritual where not to stand. You can’t really see much of the glyphs engraved on the floor below, not that you need to when you could easily draw them from memory.

“The Saint was born in light. In light he grew and it was light that he brought forth to smite the evils of the world. Thrice-blessed in light was the Saint.”

You fight back a yawn, waiting for the sermon to end. You're the only one who's allowed to be so melodramatic after all. Blah blah blah. Your first element is the element of origin. You'll be able to create anything of that element with your power. Maybe it'll be dragons. Or darkness, or undead. Or dark undead dragons....

“Supplicant, enter the light and allow the Saint's blessing to awaken your own. Now speak. What is your origin? What shall you bring forth?”

You grin, even as the glyphs below your feet start to glow a soft white, revealing more and more of the room. You can feel it swelling up inside of you, burning brighter and brighter, the word echoing through you ready to burst out. Technically you should stay silent until the power won't let you, but screw that; you're better than silence and the ritual presumes ignorance so it’s not actually against the rules at all. Not that you’d care if it were.

“I can feel it! That dark power burning inside me howls!” you fight the knowledge, pushing it off to extend your moment of glory and let you finish your speech. It burns inside you, filling you to the point of agony with power waiting to erupt. “Whispering to me, it cries out with an awesome power, loud enough to shatter the lands and overturn the seas. My origi...” you almost finish before the glyphs’ power carries you away on a surge of impressions.

The knowledge pours over you like a breaking wave, and you unders, forming full fledged in your head even as the word escapes your unwilling lips.

What shall you create?

[ ] Candy

[ ] Glitter

[ ] Dandelions

[ ] Dresses

[ ] Fireflies

[ ] Sunshine

[ ] Write-in (1PP, subject to QM approval)

The glyphs flare blinding bright as the word escapes your lips and then fade into darkness once more.

… no. That's wrong. That's wrong. It's not supposed to be something that pathetic, that embarrassing, that girly, that... that weak. You're not like this! You're strong! Evil, cruel, monstrous, manly! This isn't you! The ritual's wrong. Someone just made the glyphs wrong and now you're stuck with the wrong element. So what if that shouldn’t be possible. This is just a freak accident and it’s not your origin at all.

And yet, your silent protests already ring hollow.

The student performing your initiation says nothing for ever so slightly too long. Finally sounding, as if even she can't believe this absurdity, she speaks.

“So it is written.”

Another voice, older and surer picks up on cue.

“When the Saint came, he carried the laws of men and god on his back. Into the lawless world he cast them. His justice freed the wicked hearts of men, strengthened the Saint to persevere against the dark and let the Saint make whole the shattered lands of men.”

Already the glyphs begin to glow again. This time it'll work right! Yeah, you'll get a real element to bestow, something worth using. The power to bestow allows you to grant some quality to the world around you, to make things like your power. If the Saint had justice then you'll get cruelty or darkness or awesomeness or something. This will work right.

You don't bother with a speech. Best to get it out as quickly as possible, to wipe out your previous failure from everyone's mind and let them know the true horror that stands before them. You rush out the words, diving into the glyphs power before it can truly overtake you and shouting your second element defiantly to the room.

What shall you grant to the world?

[ ] Cuteness

[ ] Sparkles

[ ] Pink

[ ] Smiles

[ ] Write-in (1PP, subject to QM approval)

No. No. No. This is wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Everything here is wrong. They're screwing with you. This is just some elaborate trick. You won't believe it! You don't. You, you... you're not crying. You won't cry. You won't let them beat you. Fine? They want to humiliate you with this show? They dare stand against you like this? Set you up to fall? You refuse to accept such a fate.

Some part of you tries to run. But the initiation flows through you, the glyphs’ power is wakened but not yet finished and you cannot escape. The magic swirls around you, holding you in place, a part of the circle until you’re fully initiated. Besides! You're not a coward. You'll face all challenges, all comers and crush them! That's what a dark lord should do, that's what you do! So what if there’s something wrong with the glyphs or, or, with you! You’ll just crush that obstacle too!

Tightening your fists and baring your teeth you don’t pay the least attention as the third speaker says her part, introducing the element of destruction. This is the power to erase something from the world. You focus all your thoughts. Light, that’s it. You'll destroy the sacred light itself! You refuse to accept anything less. Gathering every scrap of will you have, every moment's passion, every ounce of dedication you focus solely on the light itself. And yet, the glyphs push through you and the truth escapes your lips.

What shall you destroy?

[ ] Dirtiness

[ ] Anger

[ ] Aversion to hugs

[ ] Masculinity

[ ] Write-in (1PP, Subject to QM Approval)

That didn't happen! You said light. You said light! You suck in a deep breath as your third answer is written.

“Nine times was the saint blessed, thrice in beginning, thrice in becoming and thrice in ending.”

You refuse. You refuse to accept this world that's marked you so! You struggle against the invisible power that holds you in place with everything you have. So what if you're weak? So what if you have no stamina, so what if you're stuck with that shitty magic!

Unable to escape, you can’t help but laugh at the absurdity. No, this is good!. A proper dark lord shouldn’t have the world make their ascent easy. They shouldn’t get darkness handed to them on a silver platter. A true man grabs darkness for herself, wraps it around her and makes it beg her to take command. So what if your magic sucks; that just means you get to crush one more thing on the road!

“And three curses did the Saint bear....”

Your plant your feet firmly in the circle, cross your arms underneath your chest and smirk at the fire. This is a battle between you and the world, but isn’t that just the way it should be?

Next >>