• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

A Second Chance. What's going on?

[]You'll find it. The one point holding all of the winds together. And you'll break it.Gain Lightning Affinity
[X] Unlock Wind Affinity NAO GOGOGOGO (Spend the 5 points)
[X] Debris? Seriously? You can run on arrows. Wind? Debris? A hurricane? These aren't attacks. They're a road forward. Use the winds to buffet you into the air, make the debris into your stepping stones and close the distance in the blink of an eye. Since he probably doesn't want to hit himself with debris there shouldn't be any effect right next to him. As soon as you're clear smash him with stinger.

Force was bought because it was so cheap. Going deeper is nice, but I'd rather get the affinities that work best with our crazy agility (Lightning and wind). Likewise we just unlocked wind affinity to buy this post and have more than enough points at the moment. lightning affinity isn't unlocked yet and (given the lethality of lightning) potentially a bit harder. It's a question of spending 5 points vs doing the right event-type thing AND spending 5 points.

If we win this fight we'll probably get another round of upgrades, because boss and that unlocks either Lightning Quick Threads or With Heaven's Tread

Last edited by a moderator:
[]Go with the flow. Allow yourself the be moved and strike back. Never allow them to take your freedom again. Gain Wind Affinity

Latewave. That was beautiful. You have outdone yourself. I am proud to be a part of this thread, and glad I could be here to read this.

[X]You'll find it. The one point holding all of the winds together. And you'll break it.Gain Lightning Affinity
[X] Debris? Seriously? You can run on arrows. Wind? Debris? A hurricane? These aren't attacks. They're a road forward. Use the winds to buffet you into the air, make the debris into your stepping stones and close the distance in the blink of an eye. Since he probably doesn't want to hit himself with debris there shouldn't be any effect right next to him. As soon as you're clear smash him with stinger.

[X]You'll find it. The one point holding all of the winds together. And you'll break it.Gain Lightning Affinity

Should we also buy water affinity now? There is going to be a lot of water in the air. And I can't thing why we wouldn't also buy water affinity right after this anyways. It works great to improve one of our weaknesses. Going over the water could potentially screw us but with this we might have enough "affinity" to simply run atop the water. Only thing holding us back then is flying and burrowing speed.

Want to see what we get for lightning/wind first. Buying water would drop us to 0 points left if we need to upgrade something else.

Darkened said:
Want to see what we get for lightning/wind first. Buying water would drop us to 0 points left if we need to upgrade something else.

I'm not seeing any way we would actually need to upgrade anything. An affinity on the other hand yeah. Its great. If it works how I think then being in the element provides fluff advantages.

Howling spiraling winds crash against you while you try to stay upright. Aside from the fact you can't really move this attack doesn't really seem to be doing all that much. Sure, the buffeting screaming winds are taking all of your attention and you can't really see well enough to tell where Van is. It's just not all that impressive or good as an offensive move. Even that trick with the water did more damage to you.

Ow. A tiny cut appears on your arm. What caused that? Ow. A cut appears on your face. Then another and another. Slowly gaining more and more cuts. It's not debris. The wind is slowly turning into a cutting force. It dawns on you what Howl is actually doing. It's razor sharp wind. It doesn't have to be that great of an offensive power. It's got your movement locked down while slicing you up. You're dealing with the death of a thousand cuts. You need to get out of this wind.

There has to be some sort of trick holding it together. There is not any sort of perfect attack or perfect defense. The winds press down upon you in many ways. From the sides you get pulled to the back and ejected to the middle again. Going to the front just sends you flying backwards. You try to make your way backwards and you feel it. Where all of the winds come together and push forward. Where just a small spot isn't perfect. Where you can feel no pressure forcing you away. You keep running up against that wall of wind, trying, failing to make your way though. But you can't give up. You'll keep fighting on. You'll face it head on.

The air feels greasy, is the guy trying something new? The hairs on the back of your neck are standing up and the world becomes lightning. An unlucky bolt hits you dead on. But it's not, your body aches with unrestrained power. Lightning arcs and spreads from you as it thunders ominously in the background. Is this what an affinity for an element is like? The wave of lightning shatters the attack you've be dealing with.

You take a look around and see Van. The umbrella is smoking and he's waving around his hand like it's been burned.

"That. hurts. Lightning is a bitch to deal with you know. Enough that I don't like throwing around bolts of it. And then here you are making lightning bolts strike you and you don't have a mark on you. Well a mark from the lightning anyways. Something about this isn't right. Artifacts don't just gain new tricks like that. Actually now that I think about it, yeah they kind of do. But that's not the point. I was going to beat you up a bit and then leave you here."

He takes a look at the smoking umbrella and his own hand.

"But, you're strong. Too strong for me to let you go. I can't let you get in my way. I'll throw everything away if I can bring her back. And now, I can tell that you will. I'm sorry for this. It's not personal. It's just business."

The idle spinning and twirling that characterized the movements of his umbrella are gone. It's held straight and with an economy of motion that he didn't seem to have possessed before this moment. The glowing red snake seems to have grown since you last got a look at him. You can tell this screams bullshit power up. This isn't a shounen god damn it. Defeat does not mean friendship.

Gabriel doesn't count.

Van holds out his umbrella in front of him and the wind causes him to surge forward towards you. You prepare to swing at him when he gets closer but the wind blows upward sending him into the air. He does manage to kick you in the face as he flies upwards.

"Stinging Rain"

The water around you starts floating into the air and forming into bullet shapes as they start firing off at you at high speeds. You manage to dodge most of them but you get clipped several times. You look up at the floating Van. You wonder how in the world he can hold on well enough to actually float.

You need to get up there. You don't have any real ranged options and can't do anything from here. You need to get into his face. You take a second to look around. Fence to Window to Ledge to Roof. You run towards the fence dodging more of the rain and the puddles on the ground trying to attack you. You make it to the window barely taking a few of those raindrops to the face. The ledge you nearly fell off. And then you come face to face with Van on the roof.

"Drown"

And then you realized how much water in the air there was. Enough that there wasn't any air. Even now you can feel the water forcing you backwards off the roof. You could survive but you know you'd break something. As you fought the current that even now pushes you to your doom, a stray bolt of lightning connects with you. Vaporizing the the flood of water coating you.

Another lightning bolt whizzes by you as you smell burnt flesh.

"Stop with the fucking lightning. It fucking hurts."

Van's body is smoking. The hand not holding the umbrella is still crackling with unspent electricity. His flesh is blackened and burnt all down his arm.

"This is starting to get annoying."

You've been drowned, sliced up, and slammed around by wind. He does not get to complain about a few bolts of lightning.

And then you punch him in his face with stinger. You think you might have broken his nose.

Now what?

[]Press on the attack
[]Wonder about the lightning bolts that keep saving your ass?
[]Figure out if Gabriel will ever be useful
[]Punch him in the face again.
[]Write in.

[X] Water affinity... which we could have used this time.
[X] Make this fight mobile. Just because he wants to stay in his little area of influence doesn't mean we want to. Start running to get onto the roof tops. Get some distance from this guy for now. Look for a better way towards him. If there isn't one? Well we can always make one if the area the fight is happening in keeps changing.

Now what did this show us about the consequences of holding back? How about next time we just pick up the affinities that are relevant in a fight when said fight is happening and we have a chance.

Okay we have some wind and lightning moves now. Looks like wind is supplemental and defensive mostly while lightning is more focused on can't touch this. Meaning we currently aren't a fun guy to play around with in melee. Might as well pick up the next affinity and see what we get from it.

What would be the cost to fuse force-shield and shocking Latewave?

[X]Punch him in the face again.

Some days, simple is best.

[X] Lightning works, and shuts down things like fine motor control. Activate shocking, press one hand against his heart and another against his arm.

We lack much offense, but electricity hurts, shuts down motor control and he can't block it with the umbrella if it's coming from that close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back