• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Academy Nerd [ Isekai Progression LitRPG Mana ]

Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

{tr}
{td}{/td}
{td}
Nova, a scrappy orphan boy, dreamed of wielding magic that could shake the...

Sovrign

Getting some practice in, huh?
X1.jpg

Nova, a scrappy orphan boy, dreamed of wielding magic that could shake the world.
With a scholarship in hand, he set his sights on the prestigious Magic Academy.
No obstacle would deter him as he sought to master spells and enchantments,
ready to challenge any nobles or elites who trampled on him.
Unfortunately for him, he died, and now I'm stuck here.
Nobles? Run the hell away from them.
Princes & Princesses? No thanks, I have an awesome magical energy to study.
Unfortunately for me, my talents and skills are Legendary!
And every decent powerhouse wants to know about the new Prodigy.

Release Schedule: Daily at 9:30 PM GMT/International Time!

What to Expect:
Academy, School Life. Magical Skills, Nerding out.
Powerhouse, Royalties, Drama, Ego, Friendship.
Weak to Strong to Very very Strong.
Slice of Life.

Last edited:
Chapter 1: Isekai'd
Elbows jabbing into my sides, I stumbled forward, the impact a sharp sting against my ribs. Pain flared, a reminder of the fray I was caught in, but I pushed it aside, focusing on the treasure ahead.

It was a small price to pay, these jabs and bruises, fleeting discomforts for a prize that promised endless hours of escape.

The air was thick with the scent of anticipation, paper, and the sharp tang of adrenaline. Voices clashed around me, a symphony of desperation and desire.

"Out of my way!" The snarl came from behind, breath hot on my neck. I didn't need to look back to know the eyes boring into me were as fierce as the voice. But the world doesn't move, just cause for a shout.

"Got it! No, let go!" To my right, two figures grappled over a book, their shouts piercing the din.

I edged closer, every muscle tensed for the final lunge. The last two copies of The Song of Fire and Ice shimmered under the store lights, a jewel among stones. My hand shot out, but another snatched the book under my fingertips. My heart sank for a moment, the disappointment a heavy stone in my stomach.

But luck was on my side today. The two hands that reached for the last copy, entangled in a moment of confusion, their movements clumsy and desperate, as I heard their frustrated exchange.

"That's mine!"

"No way, I saw it first!"

Seizing the opportunity, I darted forward, my hand slipping between theirs to grasp the coveted book. The feel of the cover against my fingers was exhilarating, a tangible reward for my persistence.

I clutched the book closer to my chest, turning to make my escape.

A collective sigh of disappointment rose from the crowd, a wave of defeated spirits that nearly drowned my triumph.

Eyes followed me, some burning with envy, others resigned to their loss. But none dared to challenge me; the unwritten rule hung heavy in the air.

There would be another chance tomorrow, and no one wanted to risk being barred from the store.

Quickly, I navigated through the checkout, my movements brisk, my mind already racing ahead to the adventures waiting between the pages.

The bell above the door chimed as I stepped outside, the cool evening air a sharp contrast to the heated atmosphere I'd left behind.

As the sun set, bathing the sky in a vivid orange glow, I hurried back to campus, my steps quickening with excitement, nearly breaking into a jog.

People glanced at me curiously, but it wasn't unusual to see students rushing around here.

Friday had rolled around again, which meant the weekend was just around the corner— my favorite part of the week.

Tomorrow meant freedom, a break from the regular routine of classes and assignments.

But this weekend was special. The treasure I grabbed from the bookstore was safely tucked inside my worn college backpack.

Just thinking about it filled me with anticipation, mixing with the cool evening air, giving me an extra spring in my step.

The Song of Fire and Ice series had entertained me for so long, and now, with the end in reach, it felt like the perfect time to dive into the last book.

As I turned the corner, the familiar sight of the public park came into view, signaling I was almost back. The park was on the other side of the road, which meant that the campus was just around the corner. Just a few more minutes to go…

That's when something strange tugged at my senses— an instinctual pull that something was wrong. Something felt off as I eased my pace, scanning the surroundings.

A truck sped down the road, moving too fast for comfort. Its headlights flickered erratically as if in a warning.

My heart tightened in my chest, and my pulse thrummed in my ears.

Too fast. The truck is way too fast.

The energy pulsing through me made every sound sharper, every color brighter, heightening my senses as I stood frozen across the Park gate.

Checking the road the truck was passing through, my attention was caught by a big, brown husky. It dashed straight across the road, the fur catching the last rays of the sun, right in front of the fast-moving truck.

I watched, heart in my throat, convinced the dog would make it to the other side in time. Fate, however, had other plans.

The truck's horn blared, piercing the air. The sound startled the husky, stopping it dead in its tracks, right in the middle of the road.

In that split second, when time seemed to slow down, I considered the situation. Compared the value of a dog's life against my own. It was an easy decision.

Sure, I could reach the dog in time, but I was uncertain if I could save both of us.

In the end, it was just a dog. Not even mine. My life was more important than the dog. Many would curse me, but those are invited to try their luck.

Had it been a child in danger, the decision would have been straightforward. But for a dog? The risk wasn't worth it.

Still, my eyes remained glued to the scene, my body tensed for action despite my reservations.

Just as I braced for the impact, my focus snapped toward the commotion behind the dog.

A little girl in a bright yellow dress ran after the fluffy husky, pursued by an older woman with a striking resemblance—likely her mother.

My eyes widened as adrenaline pumped through me, quickening my already fast pulse.

The frantic expression etched across the woman's face betrayed her fear of losing her daughter.

"ALISSAAA!!!"

Her anguished voice tore through the evening, resonating with a mix of fear. The raw intensity sent shivers down my spine.

In that moment, everything else fell away. The question of risk, the weighing of lives, vanished. The need to act overcame any previous reluctance.

Without a second thought, my body surged forward, propelling me into action.

My bag slipped from my shoulder, hitting the ground with a muffled thud, forgotten in my rush as I surged forward.

Every muscle in my body tensed as I ran, my sudden movement drawing a collective gasp from the bystanders.

"Look OUT!!!!" someone yelled, as I propelled myself towards the danger

But it was just background noise to me. My entire being was laser-focused on the girl.

With each stride, I cut through the space between us, my heart pounding a fierce rhythm against my chest. One.. Two.. Thre…

Time seemed to slow to a crawl as I zeroed in on the girl and the dog, now mere meters away.

Not enough time… The thought was a whisper, giving a silent warning. Summoning every ounce of strength, I launched myself forward.

With the final burst of speed, I closed the distance, and my instincts took over completely.

Reaching the dog and the girl at the same time, I shoved them out of the path of danger with all the strength I could muster.

In that fleeting moment, scratches seemed inconsequential compared to the potential alternative.

With the girl safely clear, it was time to save myself, but my momentum was slowed down, and my doubts came true.

The truck was only a few feet from me. Its bright headlight was all I saw, and the sound of its horn was all I heard before it hit.

Shit! I'll never know what happened in… And the world turned black.

The first thing I noticed was the overwhelming stink that assaulted my nose, something awful, like rotten eggs mixed with garbage.

"Gross," I muttered, clutching my stomach as it churned in protest. Ugh, I think I'm gonna hurl...

When my lunch stayed inside me, I became aware of gentle rays of sunlight on my body and the hard floor under me.

Trying to ignore the discomfort, I cracked open my eyes, instantly regretting it as the sun stabbed through my eyelids like a thousand tiny needles.

"Ow, ow, ow, too bright," I whimpered, squinting against the glare.

Blinking away the spots dancing in my vision, my pupils dilated in surprise as they adjusted to the brightness.

Sunlight? What the heck! Where am I? Where's the hospital?

My mind raced to understand the totally unexpected scene. After the crash, I expected to wake up to the clean, white ceiling of a hospital room and the constant beeping of machines.

Instead, I was outside, feeling the sun's warmth and breathing in a stinky air that didn't make any sense.

The reality before me was jarringly at odds with my expectations. Lost in a haze, my gaze drifted upwards, absorbing the blue sky that stretched infinitely above.

My breath hitched as I gaped at the suns peeking out from behind the clouds. There were edges of buildings in my sight, but I was not focused on them. T-two suns.

Two suns hung in the sky, defying all logic. Two fucking suns.

No way.

The revelation sent a shiver down my spine, a cold sweat breaking out across my back as the sheer impossibility of the scene before me began to sink in.

Truck, accident, two stars, new world… But I pushed aside the nagging voice that was shouting absurd ideas.

"This can't be happening. This... it's not possible." I tried to rationalize, searching for any semblance of sense in this bizarre scenario. Am I dreaming? Or... in a coma?

They were the only explanations that seemed plausible.

My eyes shut tight with a determined squeeze, my hands vigorously rubbing them in a vain attempt to erase the impossible vision before reopening them. Nope. Still there.

Since when are there two suns in the sky!?

I'm dreaming in a coma. It's alright. It's just a coma.

The first sun is hiding behind the clouds, and there, to the left, the sec— the second maybe-sun, smaller and more red, beams in the sky.

My mind took a deep breath as a thousand thoughts began racing through my head. I had to be certain, needed some sign to make sure this wasn't all just a strange dream.

Unlike what I might have been half-expecting, half-hoping for, the pain of pinching my forearm to test the fabric of this dream did not result in me jolting awake.

Ouch.

Of course, failure didn't deter me, my efforts escalated instead until my nails were digging into my skin and blood began flowing freely out of the resulting wounds.

The sting was unmistakable, the pain real, and the redness and blood too natural to deny. Oh joy.

With a heavy sigh, I focused on the tiny patch of red skin and the blood drops, unwilling to face the sight of two fucking suns hanging in the sky.

Was I running from my problems? Hell no. I-It's a... strategic retreat. And what the hell could I do to the suns?

The sheer absurdity of the situation coaxed a reluctant chuckle out of me.

Seriously, who needs two suns? One's enough to get a decent tan.

Bizarre skyline, with double the sunshine and none of the familiarity. This place is nothing like the hospital room I expected. Or my world, for that matter.

After taking a deep breath, I reined in my thoughts from spiraling out of control.

Instead, I focused on taking stock of the situation. Beneath me, the ground felt rough and unforgiving. I shifted, but all it did was to send a sharp pang of discomfort through my body.

Carefully, I pushed myself upright, wincing at the sharp jolt of pain darting through my skull at the effort.

The world around me came into focus, revealing an alleyway cluttered with heaps of refuse and discarded objects littering around me.

Piles of rancid food scraps attracted swarms of buzzing flies, creating a sickening hum. The air was thick with the smell of garbage, mingling with the faint scent of rotten eggs and something metallic, like the tang of blood.

Same as the refuse bins behind my dorm, only ten times worse.

Trying to make sense of my surroundings, I gaze around.

The cobblestones under my palms felt real enough, each rough, uneven surface a testament to the world's tangibility. My fingers traced the contours of the stones, their cold, hard edges grounding me in the surreal reality.

That's classic. Either I'm in Europe, or I really traveled to a different world. And honestly, I'm leaning towards the latter. The two suns were potent proof.

As tempting as it is to chalk this up to an epic lucid dream, it was time to face the truth, no matter how bizarre.

Shifting my focus from the cobblestone ground, I allowed my eyes to wander upwards, taking in the towering buildings that surrounded over the narrow alleyway. They were a far cry from the sleek, modern architecture I was used to, sporting a weathered look that screamed ancient.

These two-story structures rose up on either side of the alley, their walls constructed of rough brick and mortar. The windows, framed by once vibrant shutters, now faded, bore the soft patina of age, their colors muted but dignified under the twin suns' scrutiny.

A few shutters remained vibrant, a defiant splash of color against the otherwise muted palette of the alley, suggesting sporadic attempts at upkeep.

But what really caught my attention were the faded intricate details etched into their facades. Each one was different, with its unique carvings and designs.

"Meoww"

The sound interrupted my thoughts, causing me to startle in surprise.

My heart raced as I scanned the alley, searching for the source of the unexpected noise.

Turning towards the source of the noise, I spotted a small cat perched on a window sill, its sleek black fur absorbing the scant light filtering through the alleyway.

Its tail swayed gently from side to side while its piercing amber eyes bore into mine with curiosity.

I smile at the unexpected encounter, feeling a sense of normalcy amidst the strangeness of my surroundings. At least it's not a dog.

But the brief warmth of the moment was short-lived as my eyes were drawn to something unexpected above the cat. Strange letters hovered in the air, catching my attention with their otherworldly glow.

[ Cat Lvl 8 ]

If that wasn't strange enough, a disembodied voice, robotic and impersonal, filled my head, and a shaky, golden see-through screen fell over my vision.

'ding'
Congratulations! You have used the unique skill [ Identify ] for the first time.

Identify Lvl 0 -> Lvl 1

I reflexively whacked the screen with my hands, surprised, but it didn't flinch.

What the…?

Some constructive criticism would be helpful. Please let me know if I made any mistakes, and I'll fix them. I'm only human, I make mistakes.

Last edited:
Not much to go on so far but I really like the premise, depending on the character interactions and how you do the magic system I could see this being very good.

Not enough to go on. How good this is, will usually come down to three main things: world building, munchkinery(especially using ooc knowledge) and pacing.

Chapter 2: Myriad Languages ( Legendary Skill )
Chapter 2: Myriad Languages ( Legendary Skill )

"Hiss"

That sound, sharp and short, snapped me back.

The cat didn't seem too happy with my attempt to skim the air, looking at me as if I was the weird one here.

But my concentration was on the freaking videogame screen popping up out of nowhere?

I blinked hard a few times, trying to make sense of it all. At least the screen remained in place. So, this place is like a video game? Of course, it is.

That actually made a weird sort of sense. Not.

Maybe, just before everything went black, my last regret about not finishing my fantasy novel had twisted my fate, landing me in this bizarre, game-like world.

Pretty cool, if you ask me!

My heart kicked up a notch, buzzing with excitement as a million ideas started bouncing around in my head. I had to pause, though, take a breath, and not let my excitement run wild just yet.

Glancing back at the cat, now licking its paw, its black fur shimmering under the light, it seemed totally unconcerned about everything.

I just hoped that being Level 8 was not strong enough for it to kill me.

Trying to focus, I gave the floating screen another look. That's when I noticed a little light flickering on the edge, blinking insistently, like an alert.

Excited, I reached out, half-expecting my fingers actually to touch something this time. But no, my hand just waved through the air. Again.

After waving my hand up-down like a kid, I tried a different approach. If touch didn't work, then he would use his voice.

"System," My tone tinged with anticipation. Nothing.

'Status', A bit more determined this time. Still Nothing.

'Stats', Nothing.

Frustration bubbled within me, but I pressed on.

'Profile', I whisper. Nothing.

Then, I go on a spree as nothing seems to work.

'Window', 'Level', 'Inspect', 'Appraise', 'Status window', 'Status' Nothing.

'Hey, can you work?' Nothing. Desperation crept into my voice as nothing worked.

Stupid. Thing. Start. Fucking. Working. Damnit! Arghhh!

Silence was the only reply, the floating text unyielding, taunting.

Frustration mounting, I paused, taking a moment to gather my thoughts. That's when it happened—a slight shift in my mind as if a door had creaked open, revealing a sliver of understanding.

It wasn't about physical gestures or spoken words; it was about intent, a mental push against the invisible button he felt in his mind.

Concentrating with all my might, I envisioned my mind connecting with it, grasping it firmly. The mental effort was tangible, like flexing a muscle I never knew I had.

With a click, I felt a sudden rush, a connection forming as if I'd grabbed hold of something.

Tentatively, I 'poked' at the flickering dot with this newfound mental grasp.

The connection felt real, a thread of energy between my mind and the mysterious interface. And then, just like that, the previous screen began to dissolve, and a new screen came to life with far more information.

Name: Nova
Titles: Traveler, Heroic

Class: —

Level: 0

Stamina: 58 / 80
Health: 42 / 100
Mana: 95 / 130

Note: 100 is the usual standard for level 0.

Stats:
Strength: 6
Vitality: 5
Dexterity: 9
Constitution: 6
Spirit: 7
Mind: 5

General Skills:
Empire Standard Language ( Common ) -> Myriad Languages of the World ( Legendary ) Lvl 0
Identify ( Unique ) Lvl 1

My eyes darted across the display, taking in the array of information that seemed to swirl before me like a whirlwind of possibilities in the same see-through golden screen.

I feel the corner of my lips lifting slightly as I read the screen. Hell yeah.

Ok, so it's like an RPG, but everything feels like real life. But why is my screen showing name Nova? I'm not…

Then, the memories flooded my mind. A lifetime of images and sensations, each more vivid than the last.

The knowledge I got was hopeful and depressing. Hopeful cause it was a life of hardship, but joyful and depressing cause the boy is dead.

The former occupant of this body was named Nova. He was from the Emberwaste Province of the Dracarlon Empire.

I saw glimpses of Nova's life, filled with laughter, friendship, sorrow, and hardship. Saw faces I didn't recognize, places I had never been to yet somehow felt a deep connection to. Soon, the memories coalesce into a narrative.

The bad news for Nova was that he was an orphan. Without knowing his parents, the only person close to him was a fourteen year old girl named Sofia. Another orphan.

When he turned sixteen, he, along with every other child of the same age, was tested for their magical aptitude. It was standard practice in the Empire not to waste any potential subject.

Luckily for him, he quickly got a scholarship to study at the prestigious Magical Academy.

Today, the boy arrived at the Corehaven, the city where the Sapphire Magic Academy of the Empire is located.

After that, the memory abruptly ends. The last thing in it is the blur of something across his eyes.

And I'm now in Nova's body. Damn… What a mess. I don't even know how the original Nova died.

After the memories ended, the screen quickly vanished, and I felt the link to summon it quickly at the back of my mind.

An extra limb that had seamlessly melded with my body, a strangely comforting addition as if it had always been meant to be there.

Pushing aside the lingering sensation, I focused on the here and now.

There was no other option for me but to assess the situation and adjust accordingly. Inhaling deeply to steady myself, I scrutinized my new body.

Nova bore the same build as me, his frame honed by the physical demands of life as an orphan. Beneath his fair skin, there lay a hint of muscle, though not enough to brag about. In simple terms, the body was Lean.

The clothes I'm wearing look well-used. A soft gray shirt, a little loose around my shoulders, showing it's been worn for quite a while.

The pants are better off, dark enough to hide most marks, but you can see they've been patched up here and there. They're snug, fitting me just right.

The boots, though frayed, have been cared for, the leather still holding strong despite the creases telling of long walks.

The clothes were actually good for an orphan teen doing odd jobs here and there. But…

Definitely not suitable for the Academy.

And then there was the smell that clung to me, a potent reminder of the alley I found myself. Ignoring the discomfort, I had more pressing matters to attend to.

This... this is who I am now. Nova.

As I debated my next course of action, my gaze fell upon my discarded bag nearby, its contents strewn haphazardly across the ground.

My heart skipped a beat at the thought of losing what little money the original Nova saved. Quickly, I dashed over and gathered the scattered belongings, careful to avoid the filth that littered the alley floor. Thankfully, dusting removed most of it.

Rummaging through the bag, I found a few meager possessions— a change of clothes that were slightly less worn, Nova's best and only good pair, a traveler's cloak that had seen its fair share of journeys, and a small pouch containing a handful of coppers and a couple of silvers.

Hefting the weight of his coin pouch, I frowned. It wasn't much, but it would have to suffice for now.

There was another pouch at his belt containing only two coppers.

Robbery didn't seem like the cause of my situation; everything was still here, untouched except by the grime of the alley. With a weary sigh, I shelve the death to the back of my mind.

I pause, considering my options. The idea of cleansing myself of the grime and filth that clings to my skin is certainly appealing, but my coin purse is running low, and I don't know any cheap bathhouse around.

They would likely require more coins than I want to waste…

First, my savings were from the original Nova's odd work here and there in a small town. Already, the cost of living will increase the price of the bath in a city, and factoring in that I'm in the Magical City of the Empire., it would be costly. At least twice or thrice.

Second, the baths are typically coupled to add value to a service. Like staying in an inn, then we also provide a bath. Common people already have their arrangements. So, dedicated bathhouses are frequented by tourists or high-class people with money to throw. So I might end up spending around a silver on it. Forty percent of my money.

The Empire's coin system was metric, making it easy to understand. One gold coin is a hundred silvers, and a silver one is a hundred coppers. I didn't know if anything was above gold, as the original Nova only dealt with the common coins.

With a sigh, I make the practical decision to prioritize my limited resources. While a bath would be refreshing, I can't afford to squander what little coin I have on such a luxury, not when there are more pressing matters at hand.

I'll make do with what I have for now.

Instead, I focus on my immediate goal: reaching the Academy. I'll find alternative solutions along the way to clean myself.

The letter of scholarship. It was my most important document for now, and the details were stingy. I only had to prove my identity and get accepted at the academy.

Going through the paper wasn't a complete waste of time. The scholarship would cover his stay and classes, so he wouldn't have to worry about money. That was a relief, as I could splurge a little.

A faint smile played on my lips, silently thanking the original's talent.

After going through the memories, I've gained a clearer understanding of the world and the people, and a plan began to take shape within my mind.

Time to find a guide to take to the Academy.

I transferred all the coins from my belt pouch and placed them in the bag.

After a small search, I put some metal scraps in the pouch to make it seem more full.

With the two suns high in the sky, it looked around noon.

I had around half a day to find a bathhouse and the Academy in the new city.

A guide is good, and I already have experience procuring someone cheap.

The road was paved in cobblestone. The buildings were brick and wood, only a few more than two stories high, with their windows using foggy glass. Still, each is different and unique with no consistency.

For me, it was like I had traveled back to Medieval Europe.

Emerging from the dim alley, my pulse quickened at the sight of two men beside the alley.

The first, a broad-shouldered silhouette against the fading light, his stance casual as he leaned against the brick wall. The smoldering cigarette dangling from his lips, the smoke curling lazily upwards. His attire spoke of rugged streets; the fabric of his jacket frayed at the edges, telling tales of many a confrontation.

Beside him, the second figure, gaunt and wiry, seemed almost to fold into himself as he hunched over, fingers sifting through... some coins scattered at his feet. Their clothes, mismatched and worn, whispered of hard times and harder lives.

The moment I stepped into their line of sight, the cigarette dropped from the first man's mouth. Their complexions turned a shade paler, eyes widening as if they'd seen a ghost.

Is there something wrong with them? I glanced over my shoulder, half-expecting to find the cause of their fear. With the cat observing him like waiting for a good show.

Remembering the Lvl screen that I glimpsed above the cat, I turned to the man, expecting the same screen to give him some details.

I rubbed my temples, frustration simmering beneath the surface. "Come on, Identity, don't fail me now," I muttered under my breath, squinting at the two figures.

[ Human Lvl 7 ]

[ Human Lvl 8 ]

Some constructive criticism would be helpful. Please let me know if I made any mistakes, and I'll fix them. I'm only human, I make mistakes.

Overall, it's a good start, but like previously mentioned, still not too much to go off of. I'm sure more world-building is inbound, so I'm not too worried about it though. I'm definitely interested in whatever magic and talent systems you have worked up; I'm always curious as to what ideas people come up with there.

2 minor things: first, the threadmark title has the wrong chapter number; the index shows 2 chapter 1's. And second, I do find it a little odd that there wasn't more concern from the MC on Nova's cause of death, and that he didn't immediately suspect foul play when apparently he died in the middle of an alley. Granted, he clearly has a lot to grapple with and be distracted by considering his transmigration into a different world and new abilities, but still. Laser-guided amnesia and character ignorance/lack of paranoia can get misused in stories really easily, especially in situations where they should be much more careful, so I'd just advise caution against using that too much.

All in all though, it's good so far, looking forward to what you have coming up.

Overall, it's a good start, but like previously mentioned, still not too much to go off of. I'm sure more world-building is inbound, so I'm not too worried about it though. I'm definitely interested in whatever magic and talent systems you have worked up; I'm always curious as to what ideas people come up with there.

2 minor things: first, the threadmark title has the wrong chapter number; the index shows 2 chapter 1's. And second, I do find it a little odd that there wasn't more concern from the MC on Nova's cause of death, and that he didn't immediately suspect foul play when apparently he died in the middle of an alley. Granted, he clearly has a lot to grapple with and be distracted by considering his transmigration into a different world and new abilities, but still. Laser-guided amnesia and character ignorance/lack of paranoia can get misused in stories really easily, especially in situations where they should be much more careful, so I'd just advise caution against using that too much.

All in all though, it's good so far, looking forward to what you have coming up.

Thanks for the feedback. Changed the title, sorry didn't notice.

About the second, Thank you for pointing out. I would add a little more contemplation about the death. Though there is fight in the third chapter as you would read. Still, I agree that a single line is less for the matter now that you have pointed out.

Thanks again for your feedback. Your comment makes all the effort worth it.

Chapter 3: Life and Death
Chapter 3: Life and Death

Maybe the skill is not involuntary, and I had to concentrate a little for the words to appear. I would have to experiment with it later.

While I was busy with the skill, the men gathered themselves from the earlier scare, and the second one was wildly gesturing at me.

Whispers slithered from the men's direction, their voices a low hum of urgency. "იხილეთ უმჯობესი პროდუქტები," Followed by a hiss, pointing a trembling finger at me.

The stranger's words, a jumble of sounds, left me more bewildered than ever.

"I don't understand," I stumbled in English, my voice laced with confusion, expecting my words to fall on deaf ears.

But to my astonishment, as the words formed in my throat, I sensed an unfamiliar energy coursing through my throat.

The words that emerged were not English.

Instead, they flowed effortlessly in a foreign language yet somehow imbued with a sense of familiarity.

'Ding'
Congratulations! You have used the Legendary skill [ Myriad Languages ] for the first time.

Myriad Languages Lvl 0 -> Lvl 1

Soon, I was able to understand what the man was shouting.

"—alive, lad? You should be dead," the stranger's voice cut through my astonishment, cold and sharp.

His words sent a chill down my spine, the implications of his knowledge about Nova's death weaving a tapestry of fear and confusion within me.

Sweat beaded on my forehead, the hot air doing little to soothe the sudden heat flushing my face. Their familiarity with death, perhaps even their hand in it, hinted at a danger I was unprepared to face.

I was expecting the perpetrator to run away when there was no theft. Who would have thought they were waiting just outside?

I swallowed hard, the realization hitting me. If they had been involved once, they wouldn't hesitate to silence me again. My mind raced, searching for an escape that wasn't physical—words, perhaps, were now my only weapon.

The cold grip on my shoulder tightened as the second stranger's voice, rough as gravel, sliced through the tension. "We should kill him again, Kurt," A sinister undertone weaving through his words like venom.

I could feel every muscle in my body tense, the instinct to flee coursing through my veins. My heart pounded against my chest, a frenzied drumbeat urging me to act.

I took a step back, entering the alley again. Sweat trickled down my spine, the afternoon air doing little to cool the heat of my fear.

"Do you really need to kill me?" I asked, the words flowing smoothly in their language, the skill activating instinctively, my voice steady despite the tremor of fear that danced along my spine.

"A man paid a few golds to watch over a dead body… I don't think he would like to know the corpse walking away."

"Maybe we could renegotiate the deal?" I said, hoping to defuse the situation.

"Don't joke around, lad. I'm sure the man will compensate us nicely for helping him fix his mistake."

The second man had already started to move to pincher him.

There was no more reason to talk to Kurt.

In a burst of desperate courage, I lunged forward, aiming a swift kick at the man's knee. My foot connected with a satisfying thud, sending shockwaves of pain through my leg and into his.

Kurt stumbled, surprise etching his features as he grappled to maintain his balance.

Not waiting to see him recover, I spun on my heel, attempting to dash past them towards the fleeting safety of the city's crowded streets.

But the other was quick, his movements honed by a harsher world than I knew. He had started moving at the same time as me.

His hand shot out, grabbing a fistful of my shirt, yanking me back with a force that winded me. I crashed into his chest, the air whooshing out of my lungs.

"We're not done with you yet," he snarled, his breath hot against my face.

It was bad enough that I had to stop my stomach from expelling.

Panic surged within me, propelling my limbs into frantic action. I jabbed my elbow backwards, feeling it sink into soft flesh. A grunt of pain was my reward before I was roughly shoved away.

Stumbling back, I scanned the alley for anything to use as a weapon. My hand found a discarded pipe, its cold metal a small comfort. Swinging with all my might, I managed to land a blow on the Kurt's arm.

The clang of metal against bone echoed in the narrow space, a fleeting symphony of desperation.

But they were coordinated, their bodies moving with a sync born of practice.

A fist connected with my cheek, stars exploding in my vision as I tasted blood. I swung wildly, my attacks becoming less about strategy and more about survival.

As the fight dragged on, my energy waned, their blows coming faster and harder. I stumbled, falling to the cold ground, the pipe clattering from my grasp.

The world spun, a dizzying carousel of shadows and pain. I curled into a fetal position, arms wrapped around my head, waiting for the next kick, the next burst of agony.

But it never came.

The silence was deafening, the anticipation of pain a sharp contrast to the stillness that enveloped me. Daring to hope, I cracked an eye open, the world coming back into focus through a haze of fear and confusion.

There, in the middle of the alley, sat the level 8 cat I had noticed earlier, its tail flicking with casual indifference. Beneath its body, the two thugs lay unconscious, sprawled in a heap as if discarded by an invisible hand.

Relief flooded through me, leaving a trembling laughter in its wake. The cat, for reasons I couldn't fathom, had intervened on my behalf, tipping the scales of the fight with an unexpected grace.

I lay there, a moment longer, letting the absurdity of my savior wash over me. A cat, of all things, had saved me from a fate I dared not contemplate.

Gathering the remnants of my strength, I pushed myself off the ground, each movement echoing the recent violence in a symphony of aches and throbs.

My bag, discarded in the fight, lay a few feet away, its contents spilled again. I gathered it hastily, cramming the escaped items back into its depths.

With a wary eye, I turned toward my unexpected ally, the cat. Its gaze held a weight, an intelligence that seemed almost mocking in the aftermath of the fight.

Maybe Lvl 8 cats are really scary enough to handle two grown men?

Taking a cautious step forward, I extended a hand in gratitude. "Thank you, Little kitty. Maybe you would like some food..."

A hiss sliced through the air, Its ears flattened against its head, and its eyes narrowed, the message clear: don't come near.

"Alright, alright," I conceded, taking a cautious step back. "But the offer stands. If we ever cross paths again, I owe you the finest dish a cat could wish for."

As much as the cat had turned the tide in my favor, I harbored no illusions about the fickleness of its kind. Cats were creatures of their own whims.

There was a man who had paid the wastrel to watch over, and he could be coming any second. Would I trust my life in the paws of the cat?

Better to run as far as away I could. Turning on my heel, I hastened my steps.

The cat's intervention had given me a second chance, a reprieve I had no intention of squandering.

Damn this crazy world. Why he could he not enjoy a normal laid back life…

But for now, survival was the sweetest victory. I quickened my pace, the desire to put distance between myself and the alley drove me forward.

Better to stay in public places than in a secluded alley.

After turning onto the larger road, I moved toward where I could see more people.

After running for quite some time, the pain in my legs accumulated from overexertion. I slowed my pace, and my heart settled down, the fears decreasing from this many people around.

However, even amidst the relative safety of the people, the specter of death loomed ominously. There were not many options for me in this situation.

Asking the guards for help was risky. There might be corrupt guards who would betray me, especially since the man apparently has gold coins to throw around. It only takes one informant and I would find myself in another alley. The academy is the only place that should be safe.

After deciding my next course of action, I observed where I had run. The people were scowling at me and keeping their distance with hands in front of their noses.

Maybe after a bath…

This area seemed too affluent for my scheme, and there were also guards patrolling the venue. After a quick look, I moved toward the poorer buildings, a quick pace to remove myself from here.

From the number of glares I was earning, I wouldn't be surprised if the guards moved to throw me to the slums.

I strolled down the bustling streets, my eyes darted around, taking in the sights and sounds of the city.

The sun hung high in the sky, casting short shadows on the cobblestone paths. Merchants called out their wares, their voices blending together in a cacophony of commerce.

"Fresh fruits! Juicy and ripe!" called out a man, his voice carrying over the crowd.

"Step right up! Get your handmade crafts here!" shouted a young woman, the excitement evident in her tone.

With some sneak glances at the people, I constructed an average of people.

Almost all of them seemed to fall within the range of Levels 5 to 20, with only a few above.

Most of the merchants boasted levels in the twenties, while the children registered at a humble Level 0.

Anyone below 14 seems to have Level 0 in their stats, as I observe around the people.

[ Identity Lvl 1 -> 3 ]

The skill upgrade screen was a noticeable surprise, and I noticed that the strain it was putting on me had lessened considerably.

The memories were incomplete, so I didn't have the stats of the original. If there was even one.

At least I should be near level 5. Most teens are around that level.

But there is nothing related to the system in the memories. I can only assume that the system didn't share those memories…

After leveling my skill and overusing it, my brain started feeling tired.

Maybe it was just in his head, or because of using those skill, I wasn't sure. To check out the higher-level folks, I had to really concentrate on them for a second.

[ Dwarf Lvl 41 ]

My eyes snapped toward the new identity but continued my gaze, not wanting to appear nosy.

As far as Nova knew, the world had many beastfolks and other fantasy creatures.

Making a mental note to steer clear, I still glanced to get my first glimpse of a Dwarf.

Stout stature and broad shoulders, with a long and bushy chestnut beard, cascaded down his chest in a tangle of wiry strands, giving him a rugged appearance. He was strolling along with a young lad, animatedly talking.

Clad in sturdy leather boots and weather-worn trousers. Perched upon his broad shoulders, a hefty hammer head peeked out from behind.

As the duo passed me, I diverted my attention.

Soon, I found myself in an area that resembled an old town district packed with people and vendors hollering for attention. Despite my concern, I didn't let my guard down.

And soon, I was rewarded for my efforts. A pickpocket attempted to reach into my bag, I swiftly grabbed their wrist and twisted it, forcing them to stop.

"Nice try, lad." Looking at the fear-laden eyes of the boy before me, I followed his gaze.

One of the guards was looking our way, and I realized the reason.

Laughing off the matter, I tighten my hold and move away from the area, "Little brother, I told you not to touch me. I am filthy due to an accident…"

After carrying the wooden statue of the thief, I stopped near an empty spot.

"You're lucky I was searching for someone just like you…" I trailed off, glancing down at the still shocked face.

"Hey? Are you listening?" With a snap of my fingers in front of the face, the boy's eyes finally regained clarity and focused on me.

"Huh…?"

The soft exclamation was all I heard as the boy stupidly looked at me. Why is he so much in shock? Is it his first time getting caught?

"I'm Nova." I offered my hand with a warm smile.

The kid was around eleven, maybe twelve. My actions took him aback, but the kid quickly regained his wits.

It wasn't ideal, but I needed someone smart who wouldn't hesitate to take the offer of a stranger. And, more importantly, someone local. With my age advantage, I had to search for someone younger. I was short on time.

And I don't need the best. Only the cheapest. Which locals wouldn't know about the Magic Academy? Hopefully, he has some inside ideas about the local shops and businesses.

"Ah… my friends call me Liz." The boy… Liz said while ignoring my hand.

"What. You are a girl?" I suddenly yelled.

"Of course, I'm a girl, brother," Liz said, using my earlier lie.

"And you have friends?" I asked subconsciously with a raised eyebrow.

"Hmph! What do you mean?!" Liz retorted, her cheeks flushing with a mix of indignation and embarrassment. "Of course I have friends!"

I raised my hands in surrender at Liz's look, recognizing the fire in her eyes. "Okay, okay, no need to get defensive. Just making conversation," I said, trying to diffuse the tension.

Liz huffed, "Well, I have friends."

"Wanna earn a quick buck?" I proposed.

"No…." she hesitated, then suddenly her arms crossed defensively.

I don't know, but I felt like the girl thought something stupid.

"Do you know your way around the city?" I asked the pickpocket.

"Yeah, I'd say so," the girl responded, her eyes skeptical but losing those defensive look.

"And the way to the Academy?" I suggested, seeing her eyes light up with understanding.

Smart kid.

"Are you a new student in the Academy?" The girl said in a much more respectful tone.

I gave a simple nod, not denying her words. A small lie would do.

This time, she looked straight at me, not at my possessions.

I can work with that.

"And you want to go to the Academy?" the girl said.

"And a bathhouse. Any cheap one around?" I asked as I started walking in a random direction.

"Sure, it's not a problem. I know all the places very well. It's just…" Liz hesitated. "I need to earn money to help my sis. You see, mister, my sister is sick, and I need to earn money to buy her medicines. It's not that I don't want to help, but no one employ a twelve year old and…" Her eyes were getting moist.

I rolled my eyes. I can already hear the extra emphasis on her need.

A few well-placed questions and her castle of lies would shatter into a thousand pieces. She was scarily good for a kid but still only twelve years old or so.

But the girl reminded him of his childhood as an orphan on Earth.

I guess that is what happens when someone grows up on the streets and has access to skills.

Another time, I would have played with the girl at her own game, but not today. Tired from the whole death and journey, I was looking forward to a long bath. Even worse, I'm on a tight schedule to enter the Academy unless I want to waste my money.

"Cut the crap. I will pay you. How much do you want?"

Still with a tear-streaked expression. "I normally get twenty coppers after a good afternoon's work, mister."

"Sure, did they also promise you a potion of eternal beauty? Maybe I should take my money somewhere else…"

Liz reigned in the sad expression. "My sister is really sick—."

"Three,"

"Seven," Liz replied with a steady voice.

"Five. But you would answer some questions for me."

"Sure, but seven. Medicines are really expensive."

"Five. One copper now and four when we're done. That's final."

It was already an outrageous price for half a day of work. Equal to some adults. From what I knew, ten coppers a day was average for low skilled workers.

"Alright, You got yourself a deal, Mister Nova." Her grin was back.

I took a copper coin, careful not to let her peek inside my backpack.

Nova had brought all his savings, but most of it was used coming here.

The academy would provide all his expenses when he entered.

I'll have to get a job to earn money. And the girl should have some information for me.

The coin disappeared in Liz's hands. "Where would you like to go first, mister?"

"I need to visit the bathhouse first so you can choose the best route. What is the rate of the cheapest bathhouse?"

Liz nodded, a mischievous glint in her eye. "Yeah, there's one that's pretty sketchy, but it'll only cost you twenty five coppers."

My heart skipped a beat at the mention of the price. "And the other one?"

"The reliable one is fifty coppers," Liz replied, her tone matter-of-fact.

Fifty coppers?

Last edited:
Sorry about that author, I should've just been patient; you hit everything i was thinking about and set fertile ground for even more. It was fun to read this chapter, the combat, the acclimation to new surroundings, and the "friends in low places" part too. I think that last part has a lot of potential, I always enjoyed the "street-smart and skilled prince" character archetype. Thanks for the chapter, looking forward to more. :)

Chapter 4: Relaxing Bath & Hidden Talents
That's... more than I was hoping to spend. Almost twenty percent of my money.

The sum was significant, half a week's work by any commoner's standard, and Liz's next words cast a shadow over my newfound wealth.

"Isn't that too much?"

"You do realize that bathhouses are for the rich, right?" she said, her tone laced with incredulity. "Most commoners use rags and buckets."

I glanced at her and thought about her words. "What's so sketchy about the cheap bathhouses, then?"

Liz's face contorted, her expression morphing into one of pure distaste. "The water is reused without being cleaned, even though it may look clear. Let's just say that I wouldn't trust the cheap ones."

Her tone triggered memories of my past life, working part time in the hustle and bustle of the service industry still fresh in my mind.

With a heavy sigh, I gave in, understanding what she was hinting at without her saying it outright. It made sense to rely on someone who knew the place well rather than stumbling around on my own. "Alright, let's avoid those."

Liz turned to see me as I sighed. "You have money to pay, right?"

I patted my backpack, the clink of coins offering reassurance. "I do have money, just not sure if it's wise to spend that much."

A part of me is reluctant to diminish my reserves for a single wash, even though it would be good. But another part of me really wants to get rid of this smell.

"Well, it's your money. The next cheapest one would be this way," Liz said, pointing in the direction they were walking in.

We walked up to the bathhouse after a few turns. A single-story sturdy structure of weathered stone and dark wood. Above it, a sign carved directly into the stone read: "Serenity Springs Bathhouse."

Despite its age, the building exuded a sense of elegance, its thick walls promising shelter from the day's heat. The entrance was marked by a heavy wooden door, worn smooth by countless hands.

The moment I stepped into the bathhouse, a wave of cool air washed over me, a stark contrast to the midday heat outside.

My eyes took a moment to adjust to the dim interior, illuminated by shafts of light that streamed through high windows.

The space was larger than I had anticipated, with a vaulted ceiling that echoed the quiet sound of our footsteps on the tiled floor.

To the right, a series of wooden benches and hooks lined the wall, presumably for guests to leave their belongings.

The air was fresh, tinged with a subtle scent of cedar and lavender, suggesting cleanliness and calm.

Ahead, the room opened up to a wide desk that spanned the width of the area, serving as both a reception and a barrier to the bathing areas beyond.

Flanking the desk were two doors, each marked with clear signs indicating the separate areas for men and women.

Liz and I made our way to the desk, our footsteps echoing softly in the spacious room.

It was only when a soft clatter drew my gaze to the side did I noticed a young man, no older than his early twenties, busily arranging towels on a lower shelf.

[ Human Lvl 6 ]

His movements were hurried, perhaps a bit clumsy, as one of the towels slipped from his grasp, prompting a muttered apology to the inanimate object.

After we crossed half the distance, he jerked his head toward us. Standing up, a look of mild surprise crossed his face. "Oh, I'm sorry, didn't hear you entering," he said, betraying a hint of nervousness. "The receptionist is on lunch break right now. But I can help you!"

Hearing about lunch made me think of my empty stomach. His stomach felt like a hollow drum, reminding him he hadn't eaten anything since morning.

The guy came over to us quickly, almost tripping over his own feet in his eagerness to assist us. "It's, uh, quite odd to have customers at this hour," he commented, then immediately blushed, his eyes widening as he realized how his words might have sounded. "I mean, not that it's odd for you to be here! I mean, we're open and happy to have you!"

Liz and I exchanged a knowing look, finding the situation a bit funny.

After the brief pause, Liz spoke up, pointing at me, "He needs a bath. How much for one?"

I took a moment to look around at how neat everything was, noticing the towels neatly placed on the shelves. But focused on the man after a quick look around.

The man's eyes took in my disheveled state, a frown growing on his face. "For a full-service bath, including our finest amenities, it's one silver coin," he started, his pitch gaining momentum as he listed off the benefits. "You'll have access to the exclusive spring-fed pool, a variety of handmade soaps, and—"

Before he could continue, Liz stepped in. "Just a basic bath, thanks. How much is that?"

The man paused, the beginnings of a sales pitch dying on his lips. There was a momentary droop in his shoulders, so slight I almost missed it, but he quickly recovered, plastering a smile on his face. "Of course, the common bath area would be fifty coppers. It's still a wonderful choice," he added.

I can see why he is not manning the reception. His reaction might have been due to missing out on a commission or perhaps the pride in showcasing the best of what they had to offer. Either way, his recovery was almost smooth.

"That'll work," I said, pulling out the coins from my bag and handing them over. His smile was now a touch more genuine as he accepted the payment.

I then chimed in, looking between Liz and the worker. "I'll go ahead with the bath, and Liz will wait here. That shouldn't be a problem, right?"

The man's response was immediate, his eagerness to please evident. "No problem at all," he assured, his smile returning. "Please, make yourself comfortable in the waiting area while I show him to the bath. Right this way, please," the man said, pointing to the left door.

"Don't take too much time…" Liz shouted as I moved away.

"Yes, yes… I will do it fast," I waved my hand.

After moving down a hallway, he turned to follow a double door. Despite the traditional appearance, he opened the door to a room that struck a contrast with its somewhat modern touch.

Directly ahead was a large, steaming pool carved from stone. Wisps of steam rise, blurring the boundary between water and air.

The edges of the pool are lined with smooth stones and rounded unevenly. Maybe due to use.

To the left, a row of wooden stools and buckets is neatly arranged beside shallow basins.

The stone walls were adorned with hooks for clothing and towels, and the room boasted a practical, clean design that was efficient.

"Before you use the pool, I recommend using the water from these buckets to wash off any excess dirt," the man instructed, pointing to the buckets arranged neatly along the left wall. "It will ensure a more pleasant experience in the bath. The soaps are along the walls. You've got it for half an hour."

---

Stepping back into the main hall, I found the two turning. I've changed into my nicer clothes: a white button-down shirt and trousers.

"Feel better?" Liz asked while checking me out.

"Much," I answer, feeling refreshed after changing into clean clothes.

But I noticed the smirk playing across her face. "At least you won't smell like the back alley anymore."

I rolled my eyes at her words. "Har-har, very funny. Let's go before wasting our time."

"I hope you enjoyed your visit! Please come again," the man called out as we walked toward the exit.

"Thank you, we definitely will," Liz replied, offering a wave.

---

As we stepped out into the hot afternoon, Liz turned to me with a curious look. "So, how about that tour of the city now?" she asked, a hint of excitement in her voice.

But before I could even open my mouth to reply, a loud rumble echoed from my stomach, betraying my hunger.

Liz tried to stifle a laugh, her eyes lighting up with amusement. "Sounds like someone needs to feed the beast first."

I couldn't help but laugh, trying to hide my warm cheeks. "Yeah, I guess exploring the city would be cut short."

"Come on, then. Let's find you something to eat. There's this great little place I know. They serve the best burgers in town," Liz said, her voice full of promise as she began leading the way. "I will also explain anything interesting we come across."

There was nothing much other than what I would have expected along the way. Smithies, vendors, apothecaries, merchants, and guards all everyday things that I expected.

There isn't much to do in the streets anyway. Disappointed that I didn't see anyone using magic or skills before reaching our destination.

"Here we are," she said, a smile spreading across her face.

I followed her gaze to a cozy three-story building ahead. Pale blue walls with a white pearl door and windows with glass panes. It looked pristine, charming, and damn expensive.

Above the double door, a large sign in white letters announced: Wandering Knight.

"Can I even afford it?" I asked, giving Liz a quizzical look.

"Don't worry about it. This place is the best in town, second only to those fancy spots where the nobles go," she said, puffing out her chest.

I teased, "So, it's not the best?"

Liz shot back with a smirk, "Got the coin for the best?"

"Touché," I muttered, hearing the retort. Seeing her confused look, I clarified, "It's an acknowledgment when someone says something clever."

I watched as the girl nodded her head, murmuring my words to herself. "Touché, Touché, Tou… Yeah, I like the word."

It dawned on me then that my translation skills couldn't handle certain nuanced words. Was it because of the absence of similar words in the Empire's language?

Looking at the smiling girl, I realized I may have introduced a new word to the Empire. Let's hope it didn't catch.

As we stepped into the bakery, a bell above the door rang. The air inside was filled with the aroma of roasting meat and fresh bread.

The girl behind the reception turned around to look at the door, and I noticed a flicker of confusion and a smile flash across her.

Liz skipped ahead of me as she made a beeline for the girl.

I followed her at a sedated speed while observing the tavern. The interior was a cozy mix of rustic charm and warmth, with wooden beams overhead and tables scattered around.

Half of the tables were filled with people, most of them looking quite well off.

Using my [ Identify ] skill, I glance at the people to check my hunch.

[ Human Lvl 29 ]

[ Human Lvl 25 ]

[ Human Lvl 37 ]

Panning across the view, most of the patrons were at a higher level than he had observed in the city, and he recalled the word about it being second best.

As he turned toward the counter, he checked the girl with his skill.

[ Human Lvl 11 ]

The girl behind the counter was notably charming, with her hair pulled back into a practical braid, her simple attire accented by two small, shiny earrings that caught the dim light.

She appeared to be in her late teens, a good six years older than Liz, almost on the brink of womanhood.

Isn't she too old to be her friend?

Then I looked at Liz, expecting to see Lvl 0, but stopped in shock as the words flashed above her.

[ Human Lvl 9 ]

No. No. NO. Oh Shit! I'm in deep trouble. Deep, deep trouble.

Seeing the result, I remembered the conclusion about my [ Identify ] Skill. Every child that looked below fourteen was Lvl 0. There was no exception other than the one standing in front of me.

And exception meant trouble magnets in all the fictions I had enjoyed.

Stupid, I should have checked when she tried to pickpocket me...

Sorry about that author, I should've just been patient; you hit everything i was thinking about and set fertile ground for even more. It was fun to read this chapter, the combat, the acclimation to new surroundings, and the "friends in low places" part too. I think that last part has a lot of potential, I always enjoyed the "street-smart and skilled prince" character archetype. Thanks for the chapter, looking forward to more. :)

Actually, I only added more common thugs, like from a average isekai, there to take advantage of a young man. But after your advice decided to change it about original's Nova death. Your advice definately improved the novel. So thanks for that.

Chapter 5: Wandering Knight Travern
Chapter 5: Wandering Knight Travern

Cool down. Liz is just a kid. Even if she has levels for whatever reason.

Just need to extract myself from here, and I'm good to go. Maybe end it on a good note.

A sense of unease lingered at the back of my mind. Yet, with a conscious effort, I shelved those concerns, at least temporarily.

Ignoring the potential implications of Liz's level for the moment, I focused on the immediate situation.

Liz turned to me as I came near the counter. "Come on, let's grab something to eat; you're going to love it here."

The girl turned to me with a smile, but I noticed her eyes scrutinizing me. "Ah, you must be the friend Liz has been talking so much about. Welcome to Wandering Knight; I'm Sara," she said with a smile.

Her scrutiny was subtle, but I noticed the flicker of interest in her eyes as she looked me over.

What did the troublemaker tell her about me?

"Nova," I replied, matching her smile with one of my own. "I can only imagine what she's told you. Hopefully, nothing bad."

"No, no, nothing bad, I assure you," she said but didn't elaborate. "But enough about that. What would you like to eat?"

Turning towards Liz, I sought her input, keen on making this meal memorable for both of us. "What's your favorite here?" I asked, trusting her.

Without hesitation, Liz said, "The shepherd's pie is unbeatable! The cook makes it with this secret blend of herbs that's just amazing."

"Then we would have two shepherd pies, Sara."

Liz looked at him as if she were wondering if she was seeing a ghost.

I almost rolled my eyes. It wasn't like I was a cheapskate. Right?

Sara also looked at a loss for words for a moment, "Oh, you are treating her?"

I shrugged at their looks. "Well, she has been helpful so far, and her favorite dish is as good a recommendation as any."

Sara's initial surprise quickly morphed into a warm smile. "Really? Well, two shepherd's pies, then," she confirmed with a nod. "Please, take a seat, and I'll bring them out to you."

I know the perfect spot." Without further ado, Liz and I made our way to an empty table in a secluded corner, giving a nice view of the room.

"Here we are," she announced, a note of satisfaction in her voice. "Far from the madding crowd, but still watching everyone."

"This is perfect, Liz," I admitted, impressed by her choice. "How did you know about this spot?"

She shrugged, a playful smirk on her lips. "Let's just say I am almost a regular in Wandering Knight. You pick up a thing or two."

A regular? Doesn't seem to match her pickpocketing skills. Maybe…

"You get a cut for each dish, don't you?" I said, giving Liz a sidelong glance. "If she's going to charge me extra, I'll deduct it from your pay."

Liz's reaction was instantaneous, her eyes widening in mock horror. "Come on, Brother," she said, "I can assure you the price will be extremely fair. And I don't get any commission."

We continued to talk while I tried to steer the conversation light.

Sara approached our secluded table after ten minutes, balancing a tray with practiced ease.

"Here we are," Sara announced as she placed two steaming plates of shepherd's pie in front of us, the golden crust of the pies breaking slightly to reveal the succulent mixture of meat and vegetables beneath.

She then gently placed the glasses of mead next to our plates. "And to complement your meal, our house mead, brewed right here in the city. It's got a hint of spice to it that I think you'll find quite refreshing. On the house," she added with a warm smile.

"Thank you, Sara. This looks incredible," I said while surprised by the free drinks. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to pay for them indirectly.

Sara smiled. "Enjoy your meal. If you need anything else, just let me know."
I noticed her gaze lingering on Liz for a moment before she returned to her duties.

After the hearty meal, we stepped away from the Wandering Knight, and the reality of the city around us came back into focus.

Liz, with a newfound spring in her step, seemed eager to continue our tour of the city.

"Where to next?" she asked, her eyes sparkling with anticipation.

But my mind was made up. I hesitated for a moment, then spoke with a sense of finality. "I think it's time for me to head to the academy."

Her expression faltered, a shadow of disappointment briefly crossing her features. I could see her trying to mask it, but the change was noticeable.

It was an easy decision, and in the back of my mind, the rationale was clear: exceptional people like Liz, with their unique capabilities and mysteries, needed to be approached with caution.

I didn't have the resources —neither the time nor the money— to delve into the complexities of her world. More so, getting too involved could lead to me getting tangled in her world.

It seemed wiser, safer even, to step back now, to end on a high note after sharing a meal that held meaning for her.

Hopefully, it will help me in the future when she becomes a big shot.

She nodded, a forced smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. "Right, the academy. I did promise to show you the way."

As we walked toward the eastern edge of the city where the academy was located, the city's landscape gradually transitioned from the bustling market streets and lively taverns to the more serene outskirts, where the majestic silhouette of the academy loomed in the distance.

The walk was silent, with Liz turning quiet, but soon, I saw a large building ahead.

"That right there is the Sapphire Academy. It's a straight path from here on," she said after a moment when she noticed the building.

"Then you should go back," I said, looking at the tall, majestic building in the distance.

Liz stopped and turned to me. "Are you sure? I promised to take you to the Academy," she said, gesturing toward the road that led straight to the academy's grand entrance.

I rolled my eyes, hearing her words. "Come on, you're the kid here. You don't have to walk just to return back. How hard can it be to follow a straight road."

Before she could continue, I had already taken out my coin pouch.

I was sixty coppers poor from today, only paying ten coppers for our meal, but I was sure that Sara had actually provided a discount to me.

After already spending that much, I decided to splurge a little. Taking out twenty copper coins. Money is always the best gift for strangers.

Even though I spent a silver today, it was not my first time living at the edge, and a normal meal would only cost two coppers, so I still had money for a month if I had to pay for my food.

"Here, take this," transferring the twenty coppers to her.

"It's more than the deal," Liz said.

I shrugged, "The money is yours for the help. If you don't want it, you can return it to me,"

She clutched the money tighter and retorted, "Fine, but only because you insist. I'll consider it as my tip."

I didn't insist that much. I felt my lips twitch at her eagerness to take my money.

"Yeah, yeah. Now go back and take care, Liz. Maybe I'll come see you later."

She smiled, a little delight returning in her eye. "You better. I'll be expecting stories of your academy adventures."

With a final smile and a wave, Liz turned and started back toward the city. I watched her for a moment, then turned toward the Academy.

The academy's walls stretched high, but the building inside stretched higher.

There were also other structure that I could glimpse from the position.

[ Human Lvl 33 ]

Even the guards are at a higher level than the city. There were other guards on all the gates and some more patrolling, but only one stood outside.

"Hello!" I reached the gates and smiled at the guard.

The guard scrunched his brows as he nodded. He looked like the type that did not want anyone to bother him, so I got straight to the point.

"I am supposed to join as a student. Here is my acceptance letter."

The guard gives me a scrutinizing look. He accepted the letter and scanned through it.

"Hold on a moment," The guard grumbled, his voice carrying an undercurrent of begrudging duty. He turned slightly, calling over his shoulder to someone inside the gates. "Hey, Jules! Get over here and give this a look, will ya?"

Another guard, previously unseen, emerged with a strong stride and took the letter. After a moment, his gaze lifted to assess me - or more accurately, Nova - from head to toe with a critical sharpness that seemed to pierce through any facade.

"Looks to be in order," Jules conceded, stepping aside with a gesture to follow. "But we'll need to check your mana signature before you enter."

I nodded, suppressing a sigh of relief as he followed the guard through the gates to my new start in life.

Just a small one liner of what you don't like. Point it out and I would improve it. Thanks for reading!

Seems solid work to me for now, however you can do better at the loss of story pacing /speed;

mind you its not for everyone, yet you could have expanded on the Wandering Knight a bit more, was it full? How were the other patrons dressed? Smell in the air from the fireplace and kitchen, etc.

Example:
The tavern had a fireplace in the parlor which just so cracked as he walked by and spewed out a handful of sparks that rained to the rustic hewn stone flooring like glitter before he made it to the tavern bar masterfully crafted from an oak block displaying a branch knot at the gable end which was just perfect for someone to hold onto.

Further, you can describe a bit how other people carry themselves, do they seem confident, stressed, annoyed, why?
Do they seem confident, because one guy just so happens to have a sword on his hip (in a scabbard). The cook in the corner, looks like he can handle that knife not only in a cooking environment, with how precisely he minced that meat for the shepherd's pie, for myself I'd be fearful for any of my fingers at that speed. (Then proceed to popup the level of the cook). How do people tell time? Have you seen any clocks?

When you see other patrons of the Wandering Knight are there commonalities, eg. (sometimes) workers of the same location will dress similarly, come and leave as a group for example.

This Sara, ask her why its called the Wandering Knight? What can you hear other patrons talking about? Something interesting or just mundane drivel? Ask Sara or Liz followup questions. Anything new you see, that you can't explain, you're in a completely different world, let your character show some curiosity beyond what observe / identify shows up.

Interesting start but not enough to say anything about the story - what you have so far could be the prologue for a great long novel, or an indication your pacing is too slow, or just a style of story I dislike but you hooked me so good start, although you have a bunch of screwy mess going on with the money/economy. This is unfortunately common in LitRPG stories but I hope you won't have many more mentions of how much things cost, or if you do work out a rational system first.

I think this introduction would have been better with more characterization and description of the city, the characters and what the MC can figure out about the world, and less about how much stuff cost (even if the numbers you had made sense, which they don't) or the levels of other characters (as much as LitRPG stories seem in love with those numbers). For example, while I assume you meant the MC to come off as generous, throwing at Liz 4 times the already quite generous fee he offered comes off as stupid, reckless and not valuing money not a generous poor person.

Also you keep mentioning the level of the characters he meets, but don't mention anything else about them. Some description of what they wear, how they look, etc... not just "level 33 guard" would be nice.

The story is exceptional. The only thing lacking is what the above commenters advised. There's no depth to your story. We don't know the description of the Mc or anything else, really.

And, for the love of god, please don't make him a wimp. The way he died saving the girl is dreadful enough and foreboding.

Although,that's my opinion. You may discard it if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back