1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

An Expansive Forge (Celestial Forge V3/The Expanse.)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Reece, Dec 10, 2021.

1. vgasdofija

vgasdofija I trust you know where the happy button is?

One of the things that seems to be a problem with CF fics is that they can enter a sort of spiral where they give a new power, explain it and its effects, and the word count from that explanation gives a new power, which needs a new explanation, etc. The narrative bogs down and very few things actually happen.

Perhaps give the main character here the ability to hold back skill downloads and effects so that he can go and do things, then have some clearly delineated downtime to run through the various goodies he picked up.

R.A.G., Slayer 10321 and thethomas like this.
  2. Retric

Retric Getting sticky.

Personally, I would suggest companions should be severely limited somehow. Anything from they can’t leave the warehouse to costing more points or even gets locked until a constitution gets finished.

3. thethomas

thethomas Everyone's twin!

The exponential word count for back to back successful rolls would prevent that problem. The 4000 word count likely would too, but I feel like the exponential increase that resets when a draw isn't affordable would mesh better with the descriptions of his power activating. Could use it to inject some suspense regarding its function. The side effects seem to be mellowing, then he gets his biggest pull yet and it doesn't floor him, or cause any easily noticable reaction despite there being a hyper-perceptive scientist right beside him. On the other hand I imagine that exponential would lock him into repeated successful draws unless the CP income is also altered so it might be better for Reese to just veto stuff when necessary. Don't wanna use it to escape a difficult to write scenario though; defeats the purpose of creative writing exercises like celestial forge.

R.A.G., xachariah and Reece like this.
  4. Hydraphur

Hydraphur Gone for Good

Reece, are you all right? There is no news for a long time(

Omni, woodzrox and thethomas like this.
  5. Reece

Reece Iceberg Slim is my role model

I'm still kicking. Just working on my dissertation right now. I've been breeding transgenic flies, and they've been dying very frequently, or not breeding at all. Which means I need to really deep dive on the lines that lived, which means a lot more data analysis than I thought I'd be needing to do. Which is a pain. I'll try and post here and there where I can though :)

Dgr11897, tlhgeek, Rope and 11 others like this.
  6. woodzrox

woodzrox Not too sore, are you?

I'm kinda curious about those flies now, not gunna lie...

Ame, Omni, thethomas and 1 other person like this.
  7. Reece

Reece Iceberg Slim is my role model

I'm trying to see if I can fix the overgrown synapses that characterise Lou Gehrig's (ALS) disease. I'm knocking down the Rab8 gene which causes the overgrowth of the synapse, then dosing with Trolox to see if that prevents, or even rescues the synapse and stops the disease symptoms.

I altered three lines at three points - 23007, 3229 and Rab81 - and then bred then with each other to prevent any particularly nasty mutations from biasing results, and to prevent any issues with off target knockouts. All fairly simple. Except! The little bastards won't fuck. I've managed to create the least horny flies of all time, even under ideal food, temperature and crowding conditions they refuse to lay any fucking eggs! Only the 23007/3229 and 3229/1 crosses are viable, and only barely. So instead of just tracking larval crawling to measure the effect of the drug; I'm going to have to deep dive and look at larvae contraction size, speed, and rate. Because I ran out of time before a proper dissection and synapse observation could be done. Which is irritating since I had wanted to look at the physiological effect in detail, rather than the behavioural. But, needs must.

8. woodzrox

woodzrox Not too sore, are you?

*Nods head* Yep, all I got from that was that you have shy flies that don't like voyeurs.

Rope, Juwon Oh, Ame and 8 others like this.
  9. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

I know nothing of biology, so I'm gonna assume they won't fuck because you tweaked their neurology just enough they feel awkward. :V

Juwon Oh, Ame and Omni like this.
  10. Omni

Omni I trust you know where the happy button is?

Now I am thinking of 28 Days Later setting but with Lust instead of Rage as the Primal Impetus.....

Zombie Apocalypse of a kind I really regret thinking of....

XavierRaijin and Ame like this.
  11. Jamescc1

Jamescc1 Versed in the lewd.

man looking into the distance "Fucking zombies" ?
    Other man "but still the tittes on that one"!

XavierRaijin, K_Will, Reece and 2 others like this.
  12. Wolf67

Wolf67 Not too sore, are you?

you can post this in spacebattles or/and sufficientvelocity to get more readers and comments even the NSFW in QQ gets more people than here.

0110001, Omni and Rezreep like this.