• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Announcing Reader Mode and User Activity

tehelgee

The stern gaze of justice.
Administrator
alethiophile installed two new addons for the forum.

Thanks to RichardWhereat we now have a new threadmark system that gives us a reader mode. This is the same threadmark system that SB/SV has, having been developed by Xon and all. You might need to reorder your threadmarks.

The User Activity addon allows our users to see who is viewing a thread, though it currently appears beneath the post editorNVM LOOK AT OPTIONS FIRST DUMMY.

Last edited:
I love Reader Mode, I always felt it was one of the few things missing here. But is it just me or is the search button gone?

Uh yeah, uh oh O.O

tehelgee, the search function seems to be missing?

The index rebuild was taking forever, so alethiophile suspended it for the time being, to be completed overnight. As a result, search is temporarily disabled until the index rebuild is complete.

Huh, you know, it was literally earlier today (like 45 min before the site went for upgrades) that I noticed that we didn't have a reader mode.

Now if my good luck can continue, I'm gonna go notice that SB's text editor is still eons behind...
Maybe it's the tinyMCE editor? I seem to recall that having to do with something. Buttons on mobile, or some such.

Great! Now how do I make it go away entirely?
Should be simple enough to add a custom rule to your ad-blocker. That would only work for that computer, but you'd never see it on there.

Or, like.... On SB/SV, it is definitely easy enough to ignore. But I think that over there, it appears under the post editor box, whereas on my screen just now it appears between the page navigation buttons (or rather, where the nav buttons would be) and the post editor. So maybe it's not quite that easy to ignore. But still.

It'll always show you reading the thread yourself, but others won't see it.
I would suggest that this is a bug worth reporting (or an enhancement worth requesting, depending on your point of view) — partly because of the confusion shown here, and partly because this could conceal a real bug in which privacy settings are not respected, should one arise.

For uBlock, I believe the appropriate rule should be
Code:
###uaThreadViewContainer

For Stylus or other CSS-matchers (which I prefer to use for UI tweaks):
Code:
#uaThreadViewContainer { display: none; }

Users who are viewing this thread

Back