• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Swordstire

Know what you're doing yet?
If you were self inserted into Worm with Blank, and you somehow managed to kill the Butcher (assuming you have a Shard), would voices of the Butcher affect you? Would the Butcher's power even find you?

The question I really wanna ask is, with Blank, could you be the Butcher without hearing their voices?

If not, then could you suggest a power that could help with this problem from a CYOA?
My next bet if Blank wouldn't work would be Invictus. Not sure how that's work out tho.

If you were self inserted into Worm with Blank, and you somehow managed to kill the Butcher (assuming you have a Shard), would voices of the Butcher affect you? Would the Butcher's power even find you?

The question I really wanna ask is, with Blank, could you be the Butcher without hearing their voices?

If not, then could you suggest a power that could help with this problem from a CYOA?
My next bet if Blank wouldn't work would be Invictus. Not sure how that's work out tho.
Blank wouldn't help.

Basically, you kill Butcher, you either get Butcher power IF you're a Parahuman. If not? It goes to the nearest Parahuman.

So, are you a Parahuman with a legit shard is the bigger question.

Blank wouldn't help.

Basically, you kill Butcher, you either get Butcher power IF you're a Parahuman. If not? It goes to the nearest Parahuman.

So, are you a Parahuman with a legit shard is the bigger question.

I just edited the post, from most fics, they imply that Blank can provide an immunity to Master effects, but I just finished checking the description again and it doesn't say this. Do you know what does allow this? Or if it's a different Blank from a different version of the CYOA?

Which Blank? The Nerfed Version, the OG Version, or the one from Essence Meta?

I just edited the post, from most fics, they imply that Blank can provide an immunity to Master effects, but I just finished checking the description again and it doesn't say this. Do you know what does allow this? Or if it's a different Blank from a different version of the CYOA?
You have a legitimate Entity Shard? You get the Butcher's powers for all the good and bad because it's your Shard getting the plug-ins and going Host! I ish HALPING! Gib you MOAR POWER like you want.

And really, the Butcher's shard/powers ARE technically a power up IF your mind can handle the lack of sleep, the constant voices screaming at you endlessly.

You have a legitimate Entity Shard? You get the Butcher's powers for all the good and bad because it's your Shard getting the plug-ins and going Host! I ish HALPING! Gib you MOAR POWER like you want.

And really, the Butcher's shard/powers ARE technically a power up IF your mind can handle the lack of sleep, the constant voices screaming at you endlessly.
Sounds like a good time lol.
Butcher Shard just wants to help.
And yes, I'd have an entity shard. Not sure if it'll be part of the Warrior/Thinker network.

I'm not the biggest fan of butcher fics so I'd probably bypass the issue entirely- arranging the butcher to step on a mine or using that flaming teleport of his along with sawdust or something making him technically kill himself.

Still if you really want to do one I imagine telepathy, occulmancy or even exorcism could manage to deal with suppressing/banishing the voices.

yes? Not sure, does one of those provide protection from Master effects and the original protection from precognitive Thinkers?

If the CYOA is the one i'm thinking about, grab the OG version and Invictus, sure you hear the voices of a hundred maddened souls but you also aren't traumatised.

Also works if you grab Twins: Butcher, and spend a few points to just handwave the voices away and make yourself the only true consciousness

if your using CYOA v6 then the master defenses (mental barrier & sanctity of the mind) will, but Blank wont since it's for thinkers

Then I have no idea where the Master thing came from, I know I've just read a few that treated Blank that way in the past.

Do some master powers, have a Thinker aspect? Only way I can think of.

Do some master powers, have a Thinker aspect? Only way I can think of.
All powers have a Thinker aspect even if it's not obvious to the Capes/humans in question as "Thinker" is basically the ability of the Shards to observe the world of their host and in some case to provide knowledge/info back to their host.

All powers have a Thinker aspect even if it's not obvious to the Capes/humans in question as "Thinker" is basically the ability of the Shards to observe the world of their host and in some case to provide knowledge/info back to their host.
Outside of the shard thing. I know everyone in worm atleast has a Thinker 1 or 2 on them, like how Vista's power won't work on living beings because of the Manton Limit, so she could theoretically tell if there's person, animal or insect near her if she tries. And how Kaiser knows where his powers would come out. Like how everyone would technically have a Shaker aspect, like Tinkers practically being Shakers.

But the more I thought about it, I guess Master powers are practically Thinker powers, since they have to give information on the person they're using it on. Like Regent, who has to know your nervous system to use his power, or his sister Cherish having to hear your emotions to twist them. Or they can function blindly, like maybe Regent can make you twitch without really knowing what part of you they are twitching.

I guess there really is only a few Master powers that Blank might not mess with, like the Butcher.

Actually makes me wonder if the Butcher can possess you, even with an entity shard, if you have Blank. And how would Blank function on Strangers like Mama Mathers, would Blank protect you from Aisha's Protection power?

I mean Tattletale can still get info from you right, through face to face conversation, or from making model of you from the way you speak, expressions and mannerisms?

Amy can still manipulate your biology, even if she can't scan and see you while she's doing it..right?

Actually makes me wonder if the Butcher can possess you, even with an entity shard, if you have Blank. And how would Blank function on Strangers like Mama Mathers, would Blank protect you from Aisha's Protection power?
Because Butcher isn't possessing the human.

The Butcher effect is a plug in, a power pile, that gets added to the shard of the killing parahuman when the Butcher dies, if there is no parahuman killer, it goes to the nearest parahuman shard.

The parahuman shard gets a 'small' portion of powers/abilities from each of the previous holders of the plug in. It's just that included along with the powers/abilities are mental copies of the parahuman hosts, a good number of whom were driven insane by their predecessors.

So, if you have an Entity shard and you KILL Butcher? Your Entity shard gets the Butcher plug in, complete with ALL the insane mental copies... THIS is what drives the new/next Butcher insane.

Blank just gives you immunity to being pre-cog/post-cog/Super Sherlock Holmes deductions.

Contessa style Mental Modeling MAY still work to a degree based on what info that can be fed into the shard by the host.

Aisha's power is an aura of FORGET ME that is either ON or OFF... it affects everyone that remembers her.

Amy can still manipulate your biology, even if she can't scan and see you while she's doing it..right?
Yes.

if you want to deal with butchers, the easiest is the canon way: cut their limbs off chuck them in concrete in the sea so they can't escape. or, more simply, chuck them into a different dimension, not your problem anymore

now, if you want to gain butchers powers without the voices, you cant, the voices are baked into the power itself, as such its neither a master effect or thinker affect. theres only two methods of gaining the powers without the voices in my opinion

1. have a shard that has the ability to manipulate its own powers, a self trump, this way your shard can then "fix" the butcher shard addon to remove the voices

or 2. be the fairy queen, ive no doubt the fairy queen would simply have the butcher shard disconnect into all the different component shard powers and become their own individual shades of hers, thus removing the voices issue

now, if you want to gain butchers powers without the voices, you cant, the voices are baked into the power itself, as such its neither a master effect or thinker affect. theres only two methods of gaining the powers without the voices in my opinion
Or be a member of the Teeth.

Because that's the unspoken rule that the Butcher shard works on currently. If you're in their in group then you don't get the voices making you go mad. I mean sure they'll still be speaking to you all the time, but they won't be maliciously campaigning against your sanity. Anyone else gets to froth at the mouth until they go back to the Teeth(either to join them or be killed by the Butcher approved inheritor)

I'm not the biggest fan of butcher fics so I'd probably bypass the issue entirely- arranging the butcher to step on a mine or using that flaming teleport of his along with sawdust or something making him technically kill himself.
FYI, that doesn't work; it goes to whoever kills them, regardless of how they die. Cherish drove Quarrel to suicide and she still inherited the Butcher. And apparently if someone who can't inherit (like the Simurgh) kills them, then it gets passed to the nearest Parahuman.

Blank doesn't affect Master Powers.
Most versions of Blank just render you invisible to 'Scan' types or ''Predictive' types of powers. Basically powers that scan/sense you or powers that 'Model' you and your behavior in order to predict you.
Like Simurgh, Dinah, Gallant, Contessa, Regent and Cherish.
It wouldn't affect Simurgh from hitting you with TK, or Regent from triggering your nerves or Gallant from hitting you with a Depresso Beam, but they would all be doing it Blindly.

Powers that rely on communication with your Shard to gain information would be Nerfed as well, if you had a Shard.
Like a lot of Thinker powers, like Coil, Jack Slash and Fairy Queen.

Tattletale would be unaffected for the most part, since the vast majority of the Information Gathering is done through Lisa's biological senses.
It would limit some of the Logic Leaps that are due to a combination of Postcognition and her Shard communicating with other Shards.
But in person, her power would still read you like Hollywood Sherlock Holmes, but it wouldn't reach Super Sherlock Holmes levels of reading.

The Worm CYOA V1 of Blank however is a slightly different beast.
That bullshit is low key reality manipulation.

You would still be completely vulnerable to all Thinker powers, but none of them can ever be used NEGATIVELY against you.
Contessa could ask 'Path to Killing MC' and she would be answered '404 Path Not Found' or it would flat out lie to her and make her think it's possible but the fallout would be unacceptablely catastrophic.
But she COULD ask 'Path to getting MC a Harem/Rich/Long Happy Life' and her power would happily comply.

Jack Slash would basically be slightly off in ALL of his interactions with you, to the point where his every plan and instinct leads him to fucking up like he has really bad luck.

Simurgh would probably just ignore you, or make helping you contribute to some of her plans.
But you personally would be fine.

For some reason though, Coil and Tattletale are excluded from being affected simply due to Fiat.

For the Butcher question however, no.
If your MC has a Shard, Blank will not prevent it from possessing you if you kill the Butcher.
If you don't have a Shard however, you don't even need a Perk to not get possessed.
The Butcher only possesses Parahumans, so it would grab the nearest Parahuman.

You would need something like the Mental Fortress perk to be flat out Immune to Master/Stranger powers.

Invictus would just make you have infinite willpower.
You could resist and fight back Master and Stranger effects like an Anime Protagonist, but you wouldn't be outright immune.
Butcher could still possess you, but you could shut out the voices through Sheer Batman Levels of Willpower.

Invictus would also synergize with having a Green Lantern Ring to the point of not even needing to ever charge it, you would be basically a nuclear reactor of Willpower with Invincible Constructs.

Last edited:
Blank doesn't affect Master Powers.
Most versions of Blank just render you invisible to 'Scan' types or ''Predictive' types of powers. Basically powers that scan/sense you or powers that 'Model' you and your behavior in order to predict you.
Like Simurgh, Dinah, Gallant, Contessa, Regent and Cherish.
It wouldn't affect Simurgh from hitting you with TK, or Regent from triggering your nerves or Gallant from hitting you with a Depresso Beam, but they would all be doing it Blindly.

Powers that rely on communication with your Shard to gain information would be Nerfed as well, if you had a Shard.
Like a lot of Thinker powers, like Coil, Jack Slash and Fairy Queen.

Tattletale would be unaffected for the most part, since the vast majority of the Information Gathering is done through Lisa's biological senses.
It would limit some of the Logic Leaps that are due to a combination of Postcognition and her Shard communicating with other Shards.
But in person, her power would still read you like Hollywood Sherlock Holmes, but it wouldn't reach Super Sherlock Holmes levels of reading.

The Worm CYOA V1 of Blank however is a slightly different beast.
That bullshit is low key reality manipulation.

You would still be completely vulnerable to all Thinker powers, but none of them can ever be used NEGATIVELY against you.
Contessa could ask 'Path to Killing MC' and she would be answered '404 Path Not Found' or it would flat out lie to her and make her think it's possible but the fallout would be unacceptablely catastrophic.
But she COULD ask 'Path to getting MC a Harem/Rich/Long Happy Life' and her power would happily comply.

Jack Slash would basically be slightly off in ALL of his interactions with you, to the point where his every plan and instinct leads him to fucking up like he has really bad luck.

Simurgh would probably just ignore you, or make helping you contribute to some of her plans.
But you personally would be fine.

For some reason though, Coil and Tattletale are excluded from being affected simply due to Fiat.

For the Butcher question however, no.
If your MC has a Shard, Blank will not prevent it from possessing you if you kill the Butcher.
If you don't have a Shard however, you don't even need a Perk to not get possessed.
The Butcher only possesses Parahumans, so it would grab the nearest Parahuman.

You would need something like the Mental Fortress perk to be flat out Immune to Master/Stranger powers.

Invictus would just make you have infinite willpower.
You could resist and fight back Master and Stranger effects like an Anime Protagonist, but you wouldn't be outright immune.
Butcher could still possess you, but you could shut out the voices through Sheer Batman Levels of Willpower.

Invictus would also synergize with having a Green Lantern Ring to the point of not even needing to ever charge it, you would be basically a nuclear reactor of Willpower with Invincible Constructs.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back