• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Calamity Ascendant - Return of the Black Queen [Berseria/Zestiria] [Complete]

5.9 Coronation
As the fanfare fell silent, an expectant silence took hold of the crowd. For the first time in history, a king would be crowned before the public instead of presenting himself after the fact. Hyland's nobility stood by in part grudgingly, being granted prime positions along the road yet forced to mingle with the common folk.

It was a different ceremony indeed from what the elderly recalled, for the prince did not walk alone; flanking him were two fixtures of the realm, the kingmaker and her confidante. Alisha Diphda was rarely referred to as princess anymore, her eternal youth driving home the differences between human and hellion. By her side walked Hyaci Maltran, named Hellion's Harbinger and in charge of keeping up good relations between the people of Hyland. No knights beside them were present, a clear message to any would-be assassins: where they stood guard, none would succeed.

The procession went through Ladylake's main street as men, women, and children watched on reverently; the future sovereign met their gazes where he could, offering gentle smiles. He had grown up in peace and tranquility, even though illness took his father far too soon.

The stage erected in Ladylake's main plaza stood pristine, untouched by the crowd except for two small groups. One man and one woman finished off the line of onlookers, their vibrant hair since turned grey by a life of exertion and combat, if less of the latter over time. Fourty years had left their marks on Shepherd Margaret and Sorey both, but neither would care for the lasting peace they brought; their bonded seraphim stood with them, as did their children. A boy and a girl flanked Margaret while Sorey was surrounded by an entire throng of fair, blonde women, all eerily reminiscent of their mother. Alisha favoured them with a faint smile as the procession passed by.

A faint buzz of whispered conversations had accompanied the yet-prince, but petered out entirely once he climbed the wooden stairs. Alisha and Hyaci followed two steps behind, but it was the princess who bade her nephew to kneel. And he did, only to be bathed in golden light from above. Alisha nodded to herself and began: "Thou hast sworn kindness and justice upon the peoples of Hyland, human, hellion, and seraph all. Will thou uphold thine oaths now, when the realm seeks its sovereign?"

"We shall, to the best of Our ability," his highness replied easily, eyes closed.

"And will thou stand in fair judgement of all matters brought before thy gaze?"

"We will, so We swear by Our very soul."

The crown had rested on a pedestal right by their side; as the final response was given, Alisha carefully lifted the band of red and gold from its pillow. "Then by the grace of the Great Lords, open thine eyes and behold thy people, Your Majesty." The crown was settled on his head and he rose, having kneeled for the last time in his life. Bright eyes beheld the silent yet awed crowd.

Moments passed, then the slow clapping of hands broke the silence; both shepherds offered their congratulations, their example opening the floodgates as roaring cheer erupted. What hellions were present howled, seraphim and their partners cast fireworks, feet were stomped everywhere.

Hyland would enter a new era, that everyone knew. Yet few realised that with this monumental change, many smaller ones would follow. The old guard, those who grew up never knowing hellions and fearful of them, were on the decline. Another generation or two and few if any would remain. Change continued to affect all, bringing with it prosperity.

5.10 Love
It was still odd to be the assertive party, Edna felt. They all experimented a little with how forward they liked to be over the years, but right now neither Symonne nor Laphicet were in any condition to be demanding. She held them both close to her chest, one hand each carding through their black and golden hair respectively. The tears had dried, but they would take a long time to recover.

Then again, so would she; Edna's heart ached ever since the day her bond with Sorey just faded away. Before she knew it, her friend had breathed his last at seventy years old. Margaret followed him just the previous day, a few months later. Lives spent in the pursuit of a dream took their toll on both of them, and now it was time to say goodbye; Edna wondered if she ever wanted to be close to humans again if this was how much it hurt.

Laphi stirred, having taken less of a hit than Symonne who was Margaret's dearest friend. His eyes slid open to reveal exhaustion, but he favoured Edna with a fond smile nonetheless. Then he cuddled closer to the both of them, a quiet comfort the girl seraphim appreciated.

"I'm starting to get what Zenrus meant back then," Symonne muttered. "I never thought it'd hurt that much. When someone gets killed, sure, but it's, she, she got to live a full life and passed away in her sleep. Two beautiful children and a half-dozen grandchildren, her dream come true. Why, then?"

"It always hurts," Edna informed her gently, pressing a kiss to her girlfriend's crown. "As long as you have a heart that loves, it will hurt."

"Indeed," Laphi agreed in a soft tone. "Life without pain is not worth living, or so an irreverent witch apparently said long ago." Both girls knew who he meant, just like he and Edna knew that Symonne still missed old Nica, or Magilou; the reminder found her head leaning against Edna's chest again.

"She once told me that I'm right here, right now because of every choice I made. I still don't understand how she can be so content when things could have been better."

"They could have been worse as well," Laphi countered. Then he nudged Symonne. "Besides, Margaret will be back." Both girls perked up in surprise, only to be given a mischievous smile. "You may have forgotten over the years, but within her rested a powerful soul and great compassion. The pattern seems to hold, so give her a thousand years to reincarnate. I'm sure she will remember us all when the time comes." For while she built on the legacy of Artorius, the 'Lady Shepherd' carved her own legend into history just fine. Just like Sorey had, now remembered as the 'Lord Shepherd'.

Despite the dour mood, Edna found herself intrigued by her boyfriend's certainty. "How so?" she inquired after a moment's hesitation. He became thoughtful in response.

"Do not mention this elsewhere, but I think we found Eleanor. The Eleanor." Both girls blinked at Laphi, who shrugged. "We don't know for sure yet and she doesn't display any awakened memories, but you remember how Alisha's youngest has an uncanny talent with the spear? She grasps the style about as easy as breathing, the same way Margaret learned Arthur's style in record time."

"...she's six," Edna deadpanned. Laphi snorted.

"Your point? Alisha was distraught about it because her girl is too young, but she seemed happy to practice the motions. No six-year-old should be that precise yet. Which is why I asked you not to say anything. The timing fits, though; Eleanor Hume died a good fifty years after Artorius and Aifread, both of the latter came back after roughly a thousand years, and now... well, you get my point." They did, even if it still sounded ridiculous.

Symonne changed the subject then, barking out a soft laugh. "Can we talk about how those two were breeding like rabbits for a moment? Alisha sure abused being forever fertile, but a dozen children?"

"I'm more amazed they all look like her," Edna quipped back. "Twelve girls, all blonde and svelte." They all chuckled over that, fully aware how hard-pressed the aging Sorey had been running herd on his ever-growing clan. The fact they all resembled his wife so much probably did not help. "Do you think that was the Malevolence making her traits breed true?"

"Possible," Laphi reasoned. "Some of the doctors looked into it during her later pregnancies, but no one could make any conclusions. That aside, how are they doing?"

The question went to Edna, who shrugged. "They're dealing, and they have each other. I'd rather be here with you two for now." Her life as godmother to the entire Diphda clan was certainly not an easy one; Symonne grimaced however, clearly aware she ought to be with her own godson and goddaughter. Edna kissed her possessively. "And neither of you is leaving, whether you want to or not."

Her demand did not disperse the dour mood entirely, but it helped. They made themselves more comfortable on the recliner they settled on, looking out at sea; the great temple built above what was once Aball was a remarkable structure, though just as reclusive more often than not. Edna enjoyed the hands clasping around her own or drawing lazy circles over her sides, as well as the warmth and closeness. She felt more safe than anywhere else.

As she mused, Laphi indulged his curiousity: "What are the other seraphim doing?" With Edna unresponsive, Symonne fielded the question.

"Phi and Eizen went to travel a bit, and Zaveid went along with them. Odd group, isn't it?" Edna and Laphi snorted, fully in agreement. Symonne flashed a smile as well. "Thought so. Mikleo is... I don't know, actually. Edna?"

"Locked himself up in a room and didn't come out for a week," she murmured, once again aching. "He took losing Sorey the hardest, but he is recovering."

"He returned to duty a month ago, right?"

"Right. As much grief as I may give him, he takes being a firekeeper seriously."

"Unlike Phi, who just ran off," Symonne quipped into their exchange. Edna shrugged at her.

"It's his blessing, so he can take a break whenever he wants."

"Fair."

"And to be fair, we do not need two shepherds right now," Laphi reasoned idly. "One who wields the flame is enough." Neither girl called him out for defending his counterpart; Edna knew he liked to pretend hostility, as did Phi, but they had grown to a cordial indifference about each other. So she ruffled his silky hair instead, not that he complained. He was not wrong either, Sorey and Margaret raised an entire generation of people willing to step up, their own descendants first among them.

She knew she ought to ponder what to do next, but another thought kept nagging at her; Zaveid and Velvet separated amicably many decades ago, yet here Edna was still happy with both Laphi and Symonne. She felt it was time, though the prospect of actually saying it almost cut off her voice, turning it into a soft murmur: "I wanted to tell you something."

The soft noises she earned in response transitioned into curious looks when Edna kept her silence, trying to work up confidence. She pushed her boyfriend and girlfriend back a bit, holding each by one hand and meeting their sunken gazes. Now was not a good time, but the words wanted out. Edna took a deep breath, failed to calm down, and spoke anyway: "My true name is Hephsin Yulind."

She could tell the exact moment the words registered; first their eyes widened to a comical degree, then Laphi blushed a bright scarlet while Symonne simply stared. Edna squeezed their hands until they recovered, her momentary worry dispelled by loving smiles. "Kyurib Ishuk," Symonne answered her before Laphi did the same.

"Geb Imesh."

"...and just who named you 'Kind Light'?" Symonne teased immediately, to which the boy shrugged.

"My silly sister."

"Figured that much," Edna quipped before sizing them both up and repeating their true names. Then she leaned forward to claim Laphi's lips. She knew she ought to wait some more, let them recover, but for now she wanted to bask in the moment. Say their names over and over, delight at hearing her own name repeated time and time again. The future could wait. For now she would enjoy what they had.

Huh. We're approaching epilogue. Feel like I should save my thoughts for after the final chapter.

that said, I'm willing to bet half the reason Sorie died at 70 is because Alisha wore him out. Poor (lucky) bastard.

5.11 Hope
"Who would have thought to see humans, hellions, and seraphim here, united as one?"

"Oh yes, indeed." Zui Fuu grunted at Zenrus in amusement. "And all it took was two new gods." They chuckled, more out of elation than actual mirth; both malakhim were positively ecstatic over the recent changes.

The ivory rapig flapped her wings to keep up with Zenrus' pace as the two continued their round through the heavenly steppes. Ancient dust was cleaned away by the new arrivals and excitement ran strong. "Has it really been a hundred years already?" Zui mused once they had some distance to everyone. "It feels like yesterday that I ascended to Innominat."

"What's a hundred years to the likes of us?" Zenrus retorted kindly, and he was right; they both felt their age. Then however, he chuckled. "How cute of the boy to think all of us could become dragons, though." Zui's squeaky laugh joined his moments later.

"Well, now he knows better. Then again, if we actually asked, one of the four would probably spare enough power for us to bridge the gap. Hyanoa, most likely."

"The old softy." Zenrus huffed again before shaking his head. "But no, I'd never want to become inert like they have to be for so long. Being born too weak to ever reach dragonhood naturally is a boon I quite enjoy, regardless of the heartache it carries. We have this conversation every few thousand years, don't we?"

"We do, not that it ever stops being relevant." They began to ascend white marble staircases, the realm hidden within the earthpulses contorting under Zui's will to see them to their destination sooner. "The six we have now make a good group. Perhaps the malak Laphicet will rise again one day, but we definitely need no more than seven. I hear literacy reached ninety percent of the population recently?"

"It did. We have seen a resurgence in bonds between humans and seraphim, too. You should come out of your hidey hole more often, piggy."

"I will consider it," the rapig retorted with a snorting grunt. She paused as they reached the penultimate chamber, the highest point any being could reach in this realm; before them stood the heavenly gate, having been closed for over fifty thousand years. "Maybe now there is time," she continued idly, "now that change has come at last. First with the rise of Maotelus, then the resuscitation of Innominat and birth of Minkkubi. I took a great risk that day, but it paid off in spades."

"Agreed, old friend. Agreed." Zenrus settled in front of the closed gate, ancient eyes resting on its nondescript structure. "I am still puzzled where it truly began, to be honest. At what moment were these events set into motion?"

Zui shook herself as she settled next to him, accepting a friendly pat on the head. "Who knows?" she replied. "You could make a case for it being the day Maotelus was forcefully bonded to the last Lord of Calamity, just as you could name the birth of Claudin Asgard. The Age of the Gods, Age of Chaos, and Age of Harmony have been defined by great personalities from beginning to end."

"Mhm. I like to think Claudin would be happy. His dream is finally becoming reality."

"As is ours, Zenrus. We lost Claudin, Artorius, Eleanor, and Magilou to time and strife, but we retained Minkkubi, Innominat, Maotelus, Margaret, Sorey, and Alisha." Zenrus faltered at the mention of his late ward's name, but a soft smile played around his lips nonetheless. The boy had proven himself in peacetime, far more so than during the struggle. Zui carried on after a moment: "On that note, I told you so. That makes fifty-three for me and thirty-one for you, Zenrus. You should hedge your bets on dreaming gods more often."

"...you're still counting?"

"I have a lot of free time, you know?"

They shared another laugh, gazes still glued to the inert gate. Last of the malakhim who passed through in eons past, having waited fifty thousand years for it to open once more, their dreams were about to come true.

"It's still closed," Zenrus commented in the end. Zui grunted.

"In time, surely, the peaceful union of humans, malakhim, and even hellions will make this gate open. The better question is what we will find on the other side, what the seraphim will think of us." A group of three lamias scaled the stairs, but quickly retreated upon spotting them; all Forton sisters deferred to them with boundless respect after learning their age. Zenrus chuckled over both their behaviour and his own thoughts.

"It will take a few more centuries, perhaps millennia, before this gate will open. We need lasting peace after all. Then again, I doubt their opinion of us will be problematic. With what I learned about Minkkubi, they will have a lot to answer for." Such as cursing mankind and malakhim with forced evolution through Malevolence, at the cost of their sanity.

"True, true." Zui grunted in amusement again. "I am not sad for them." Zenrus quite agreed with her; in fact, the thought of these old seraphim shaking in fear at the prospect of Velvet Crowe's imminent arrival brightened his mood even further.

But ultimately, that was a consideration for later. Even if just for a moment, they could celebrate. Zui had been right, Maotelus and the wider world were saved. Even more than saved, improved really. No one knew what the future may bring, but for the first time in eons the two malakhim could feel truly hopeful. A future awaited.

THE END

Thanks for the Story,

I thouroughly enjoyed every single bit of it. It was a ride, but the ride was fun and enjoyable, even if it has to end.
So all I have to say is, that I'm happy this Story was as good as it was and it didn't disappoint.

Checks ping list

Ah. So it comes to an end. Alright.

It was a fun story. The first time I feel where someone's blended the Berseria and Zestria into a proper story. When I found this story I was surprised by the quality- and kinda disheartened that so few people were commenting on it. But hey, that's the non lewd stories on QQ for ya.

Anyway, I think my biggest gripe with this story was that simply it was obvious from the start that Velvet would win. There was no doubt about that- elevation to god status and her ruthlessness and building up a support base assured that. I didn't know how it would end, but I did know that Velvet wasn't going to lose. And I'll be honest, I don't think the story could have been written around that. It was a natural continuation story wise that she wouldn't be stopped- still surprised me with some curveballs like Magilou biting the dusto- ergo I was more interested in the characters around her and how they would react to her.

Enter Sorey and the ghost skost crew. And all the other magic ghost people. This was a more interesting bit in the story for me due to it tackling more interesting society and culture stuff regarding Seraphim, Hellions, and humans interacting with them. That was a fun but with the seraphim run bar, and using the hellion run church to spread the faith. As well as tackling the culture clash with Sorey running into Hellions that aren't insane monsters. Poor boy was thrown for a loop.

There was also actions and consequences done interestingly. Such as the Magilou bringing in Symmone with kindness, and that eventually snowballing into Rose and Dezel biting it. Not everything was sunshine and daisys, yet I feel like the negatives (Magilou dying) should have been explored a bit more than they were- but that's a smile gripe in the midst of things.

Overall, a very fun story if your familiar with both Zestria's and Berseria's tale. Would read authors other works. Started up something and ended it when it needed to. We didn't wrap up the epilogue of everyone (Velvet) but we didn't really need to when this story was more about exploring Desolation and Laphi living it up a bit. And to that I say "Jolly good show."

Anyway, I think my biggest gripe with this story was that simply it was obvious from the start that Velvet would win. There was no doubt about that- elevation to god status and her ruthlessness and building up a support base assured that. I didn't know how it would end, but I did know that Velvet wasn't going to lose. And I'll be honest, I don't think the story could have been written around that. It was a natural continuation story wise that she wouldn't be stopped- still surprised me with some curveballs like Magilou biting the dusto- ergo I was more interested in the characters around her and how they would react to her.
I agree. It was obvious from the start because Velvet is simply a force of nature. That is why I never even tried to put the result in doubt; the narration itself acknowledges it. The question was never if she will win, but rather how costly her victory will be.

Another piece of fiction had an interesting view on the matter of characters as powerful as Velvet and Laphicet. That at some point, they transition from being characters more to being plot devices. That is a decent bit of how I used them here. They got to be themselves, but the effects of their mere presence rippled around them, changing the world.

This was quite intentional, really. Desolation is a rich world if you put in some work to polish it. I had a lot of fun exploring how the sheer potential in Velvet's and Laphi's presence and old knowledge changes the paths of Zestiria's various characters.

Thank you very much for the detailed and glowing feedback.

Would read authors other works.
Be a bit careful with that, though. I am still learning and improving; the quality of my works declines the further back you go. Each one taught me a few valuable lessons, but that did not help the given work itself.

That said, you can find me under the same name on SV, though I mostly have some Quests there. FFN has me under Nar0n. In addition, my next project starts on Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back