1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Charm Learning Shard (Worm/Exalted) (COMPLETED)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Daniel Snuts, Apr 24, 2022.

1. omni001

omni001 Versed in the lewd.

So, lot of mixed feelings about this chapter. I think I'm just going to try listing them out.

Team BITN staying out of the fight was a mistake, a big part of why Capes are allowed to get away with so much and receive the protection of the unwritten rules is because they attend Endbringer fights. Them not showing up to an Endbringer fight in their own city even if it was just to make a showing and not otherwise do anything will ruin their teams reputation-

-is what I would say if they were from any city other than Brockton Bay where people actually followed or at least at the bare minimum paid lip service to the unwitten rules. Honestly the gangs of Brockton Bay wouldn't have changed their behavior either way so yeah, them sitting out the fight was definitely the smart call here. Just felt it worth bringing up.
    Also side note, I'm personally of the stance that Shadow Stalker could with either a sufficiently powerful Tinker tech weapon and/or Trump support allowing her to safely get in range, like Othala's invulnerability, attack the inside of their core and kill an Endbringer.

Side side note, I'm also of the stance that while Endbringers are powerful, should be treated like a proper threat, and that most Endbringer fights should end with the Endbringer winning, they are not straight up unkillable and making them so is just plot contrivance

Low Key serving as med evac was definitely a better use of her power than personally fighting an Endbringer, but I was hoping she'd use the Truce as an excuse to work with Bitch to send out a giant Fenrir.

Really sad Parian died, mostly cause I was looking forward too Taylor realizing that while she was going through all this trouble infiltrating the gangs to study their powers there was a Cape putting on free public power based shows she could have attended wherever.

I do not like the way Fenrir died in this chapter. Even if it's temporary, and I do really hope it's temporary, him dying while he and Taylor were on med evac purposely staying out of the fight simply because Taylor forgot to dodge Leviathan's follow up attack from his water shadow, an attack she noted existing earlier in the chapter right before learning his attack range was even longer than that via water laser, honestly feels like plot contrivance forcing Taylor to hold the idiot ball.

2. Zxzx24

Zxzx24 I trust you know where the happy button is?

People die during endbringer fights. Even innocent people and people who deliberately tried to stay out of the fight.

Taylor getting drive by'd is perfectly believable to me.

And she DID perfect dodge. Fenrir just cant.

3. Daniel Snuts

Daniel Snuts Know what you're doing yet?

That will be revealed as soon as she uses it, but she has other things on her mind right now.

Allow me to clarify: She had just as much business being in an Endbringer fight as canon Taylor, and none of her plot armor.

Yes, I'm aware that Wildbow claims to have rolled a die to see whether Taylor survived the Leviathan fight. I'm prepared to believe that. But having done that, he then had the option of writing a fight that Taylor plausibly survives.

He did not exercise that option.

Thank you.

I only wrote out a select handful of such announcements. Dauntless is in fact dead (it will be mentioned later in-story).

I haven't watched Tiger King, but I remember hearing about it. I don't think that guy would get along with (read: survive meeting) someone with Nekomancer's unshakeable belief in love and justice.

Inorite? Though it is not mercy that stays my hand, merely self-interest - if you dread having to read such a thing, imagine having to write it.

If you're confused, you should ask one of the exalted-knowers in this thread to explain the process of spirit respawn, and the two requirements for it to happen.

4. ses

ses Experienced.

Ah fuck it requires a year and a day to respawn, and also a Sanctum? I've never actually played 2e and my experiences with 3e were very much "Me only barely knowing the setting running it for friends even less familiar than me with no one to correct how wrong I am". After hours of trying to look it up and failing because 1 INT, I finally just PMd a friend. I'm still not completely clear on what a Sanctum is and how it applies to this fic, but a year and a day means RIP Fenrir. I hope Taylor at least knows all hope is not lost. Does a Sanctum require Taylor build him a shrine in realspace or does he just have an Elsewhere pocket dimension by default? My attempts to look it up were unclear. If it requires a cult than the E88 segment rebranding itself as Fenrir's Chosen after Kaiser's death takes on a whole new meaning.

RIP Dauntless. Hopefully he just got Amethyst'd during an attempt to lure Levi-chan into the zone paralleling canon. Then at least Taylor might learn Order-Affirming Blow in the future.

Continuing to mourn the loss of Nekomancer. Gone too soon. I'm not even memeing I'm genuinely far more emotionally attached to this throwaway joke character than I should be and I don't know what's wrong with me. She's just too perfect.

>for just a moment your brain malfunctions

Hmmm

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  5. Zxzx24

That's kind of a shame. I would have loved to see Nekomancer inexplicably continue the Canon worm storyline in the background of Taylor casually munching down on powers. Would have been hilarious.

Nice catch.

Though it also annoys me.

Because the only time Taylor fails in this story is when the hand of god reaches down to personally lobotomize her.

6. ses

ses Experienced.

I know this is supposed to be a hint and author really wants me to guess right for Ballistic's charm but the only charms I can find that's exactly 80 hours of training time (Confirmed to be exactly 80 hours and not 88 by the statement "slightly more than rune/dragon") AND costs more than the 20 motes of Hell-Walker Technique are Oath-Shattering Strike and Shroud-Crossing Miasma, the capstone for Infernal Monster Style and an Abyssal Sail charm to let you enter the Underworld. But those are the most completely pointless charms possible, and there's no tortured logic I can find to even vaguely link it to Ballistic. There's no Underworld in the Wormverse, and the only thing Oath-Shattering Strike does is let Taylor break her own vows and get got for that, which she can manage just fine on her own. Is the joke that she'll use OSS to unchain Dragon? That seems extremely unlikely to me and again, not even vaguely in the same realm as Ballistic even with Simurgh shenanigans.

This is driving me insane. Please have mercy. Speaking of Martial Arts charms though, Horizon-Hurling Tactic/Crack the Sky would be absolutely metal and I really really hope that it's the martial arts charm that lets you throw somebody literal miles because that's awesome. Actually wait, you can throw inanimate objects too. Okay that's my new top guess even though it explicitly fails the "Draws more power than Hell-Walker Technique" hint.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  7. tronax

tronax Know what you're doing yet?

A true hero! Batman lost a fine mentor figure in this chapter :(

It's this kind of behavior I imagine every time I think of a realistic "hero of light" figure that gets things done outside of PR sessions. Could be a fine comic relief character too.

8. GiantAnteater

GiantAnteater Know what you're doing yet?

Taylor still can, at any point, give herself dots in Exalted lore, and find out for herself IIRC. She just need to stumble on the idea first.

space turtle likes this.
  9. Paralein

Paralein I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah. The instances where Simmy has quite obviously intervened in Taylor's life are already numerous enough that this was my reaction to this too. She obviously has plans for our girl.

10. Dakkah

Dakkah Know what you're doing yet?

Entirely unrelated question: Can Taylor learn charms from folk stuck in Greyboy bubbles? (Assuming their powers were active as they were caught. Because I could easily see Cauldron 'feeding' her that way, as her absolute belief in the notes would make her rather easy to recruit if not control.)

space turtle and Saafi05 like this.
  11. GiantAnteater

Since Nekomancer didn't have plot armor, and actually murdered several people in horrific ways while caping, she wouldn't have lasted long on the streets anyway. Death by an anonimous sniper maybe?

space turtle and Zxzx24 like this.
  12. Daniel Snuts

Daniel Snuts Know what you're doing yet?

She could.

The passage you were looking for may be found in Rolls of Glorious Divinity: "A slain god without domain or sanctum perishes utterly, as if slain by the Ghost-Eating Technique." ('god' and 'spirit' may be used interchangeably in exalted)

Look at this chad prediction master, who's getting a cookie I've been waiting three months to hand out.

Oh dear, it looks like they accidentally used salt instead of sugar in the recipe.

Snatch had the ability to freely teleport objects within ten yards of herself, as long as they were smaller than a cubic foot and weighed less than two pounds. She triggered very young, and her villain career consisted entirely of bragging about her shoplifting exploits on social media.

She found out that the name she innocently picked for herself was a noun as well as a verb far too late to change it.

13. ses

ses Experienced.

14. Dread Pirate Gilligan

Dread Pirate Gilligan Getting out there.

"God, Theo, you are so fucking pathetic! Do you think you're ever going to get me off with this pathetic little worm of a dick!?"

"...no..."

"Don't you wish you had a giant wolf dick to nail me with? Don't you wish you could take me doggy style all night!?"

"...Wait, what?"

"Don't you wish you had a giant wolf dick!?"

"...yes, but please don't tell me why I want one..."

Theo cries out in pain as his pants rip...

15. Whitesnake Pelinal

Whitesnake Pelinal Like a dream without a dreamer

Only the dankest of meme magic can save him now.

16. GiantAnteater

Bubbles will always be near our hearts... specifically our lungs.

17. Whitesnake Pelinal

Whitesnake Pelinal Like a dream without a dreamer

I'll raise my bubbler to that!

18. omni001

omni001 Versed in the lewd.

So Bubble's is permanently dead now, well I hate that. I liked this fic enough up to this point to keep reading and see where this goes but, yeah.

19. PlasticSoldier

PlasticSoldier Experienced.

Taylor can just make a new wolf companion, right?

20. Requiem_Jeer

Requiem_Jeer I trust you know where the happy button is?

She should be capable of empowering a new Spirit-tied pet, yes. I'd wager she's not likely to do so for a while.

21. ses

ses Experienced.

Again, Contessa can I-win-button you regardless. The notes don't open any attack avenues to Thinkers that don't already have God powers.

This requires Scoured Perfection of Form, Verdant Emptiness Endowment only makes you peak human by maxing out your stats and skills. It doesn't achieve anything that can't be theoretically achieved by working out and gitting gud.

22. Zxzx24

Yep.

Hm. Bitch got taken out, I suppose it remains to be seen if she will die or not.

space turtle likes this.
  23. Dread Pirate Gilligan

Dread Pirate Gilligan Getting out there.

...I mean, maybe a Swedish penis pump workout? ;)

24. GiantAnteater

Theo does not need any more dots in Loser or Gullible.

25. Dakkah

Dakkah Know what you're doing yet?

Oh I know, once you start involving the utter bullshit that's Contessa or Simmy there's very little that you can't rationalize in story. However, once you start theorycrafting along the lines of GB feeding, you have to take it a step further and think about *how* she would get into such a position, since I kind of doubt that such horrors are left not only exposed but unguarded (Though I suppose she could go for another Lung Harem infiltration.)

Zxzx24 likes this.
  26. space turtle

space turtle Not too sore, are you?

So Taylor is about to go either very depressed or very vengeful.
    Maybe both.
    Narrative forces indicate rage, but I reckon Snuts has the writing chops to put together a compelling sad sack arc.
    Not sure which will be more painful to read though :/
    Further slide into the realms of “like the S9 but smaller” or many pages of tears and self defeat /harmful activities.

Please don’t keep us guessing, but that grim dark tag has me nervous

27. Alucard 109

Alucard 109 Not too sore, are you?

Something I haven't seen anyone considering is, where is Tay's place in the Empire without fenrir? As far as they know, she's unpowered now

Caerwen, Zxzx24 and space turtle like this.
  28. ses

ses Experienced.

Kaiser's dead and she has Purity mastered, which means she's the secret power behind the throne of one of the two splinter factions. I've been wondering whether she's going to attempt to keep the two halves together.

29. Lis91

Lis91 Getting out there.

obv it's not really a problem for Low Key but the death of 'Fenrir' makes me curious about whether capes ever lose their power

like for example what if the Siberian wasn't an indestructible immovable object? if the projection was poofed would Manton have simulated a replacement? are there capes with a one-chance-only type of power?

there's Leet who is canonically the closest to a cape losing his power (Eidolon doesn't count)... and he is notably absent from the recruitment list for everyone except Bakuda

be sad if Low Key is kicked out after all the successful indoctrination ooooooooooor I guess she can just be Theo's full-time girlfriend now?

30. OldSpartan

OldSpartan I trust you know where the happy button is?

She can empower another beast I believe. Just wouldn't be Fenrir. She still has the power, the dog itself however is dead.