1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Charm Learning Shard (Worm/Exalted) (COMPLETED)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Daniel Snuts, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Ruy

Ruy Know what you're doing yet?

Canon Eidolon definitely would not. Fanon Eidolon definitely would.

Eidolon wishes he had Tohu's power, Tohu can copy Eidolon + Glaistig Uaine + Anything else + In Built Endbringer Brute Mover Package.

KenNM, Tigereey, Xaliuss and 4 others like this.
  2. ses

ses Experienced.

Oh huh. I forgot Scrub existed and also didn't realize his trigger wouldn't be butterflied away. The haircut matches the art of him on the wiki, I assumed that the pageboy haircut was butterflies on Valefor's part and that sunglasses indoors was a hint about the hypnotic gaze.

Dakkah, space turtle and Zxzx24 like this.
  3. Zxzx24

Zxzx24 I trust you know where the happy button is?

As a result of his trigger Scrub has white hair that has traces of white smoke coming out of it. This smoke also billows from his eyes, ears, nose, and mouth, along with a glow emanating from the mouth.[10][11]

Surprised he wasn't outed immediately.

space turtle likes this.
  4. Akuma-Heika

Akuma-Heika The Devil Exists Within

I thought they gained the status from collecting enough data to 'evolve' (for lack of better word...upgrade themselves maybe?).
    Trying to figure out how this happened. Did she express a desire to be 'healed' in Taylor's presence?
    Wildbow canon, IIRC
    Which spell is that?

I nearly choked on the rice cracker I was eating when I read this lol

I thought they were made/converted by the Deathlords, or is it partly column A part column B? If it was the Neverborn (and they were conscious enough to plan and design the change), why can't they create new Keter souls wholesale?

Is Clone!Tay truly powered by the Neverborn instead of Shards like Taylor? Can she learn Necromancy like Taylor can Sorcery? If yes, things will get even more crazy!

Some of the Sins of Death which generate Resonance can be broken even when following their principle (pre-emptively attacking Creatures of Death is the one I am thinking of), and the Neverborn can directly add Resonance for shits and giggles...but that usually requires acquiring their direct attention. Also tying back in to above question and if Tay is likewise drawing power from Yu-Shan/Malfeas (or more specifically, her Shard is)

Same way Tay did; its not guaranteed death, and can also just be guaranteed screw up to an important task rather than life-threatening.

Really curious if she actually is, and if so, what that means for Taylor

Starmetal Tattoos? Can she convert wp into motes?
    Really reminding me of Raksha undergoing Calcification

Incest pairing...I see you are a man of culture *insert meme pic* :p

First part, canon Eidolon...definitely possible for him to do so subconsciously if Zion's comment was true and thus Eidolon was petty enough to wake up Behemoth for a challenge, and rather than stop from the horror of his actions, his subconscious keeps waking up more, and if one falls, he replaces it.

Second point is now something I would really like to know :p

Guessing no list for potential powers of dead capes, and silence being confirmation for Aster's death

space turtle likes this.
  5. zapking5

zapking5 But I don't want to have a title!

It is pretty certain that Eidolon's shard was controlling the Endbringers. I see that as his shard being an evil genie on the backend though, I don't think Eidolon could directly control the Endbringers if he tried to get a power for it.

space turtle likes this.
  6. Ruy

Ruy Know what you're doing yet?

We saw him do stuff pretty consciously in the last chapter.

It's ok for Eidolon to be the fanon version if the author wants it. But the canon one was the one that on meeting Glaistig Uaine considered whether giving himself as a ghost would improve humanity's chances of victory.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    Xaliuss, space turtle and zapking5 like this.
  7. Zxzx24

Does anybody actually read this story?

She was slicing her wrists to regain willpower from cuffs power.

Edit:
    The spell is Birth of Sanitys Sorrow.

Atypical, Cheiromancer, Ruy and 3 others like this.
  8. Daniel Snuts

Daniel Snuts Know what you're doing yet?

Butterflied into slightly less obvious manifestation - such that sunglasses to cover the glowing eyes is enough.

Only if they evolve into a useful cycle-tool.

That's the Stone of Comfort she got from her little Cecylene demesne, VEE couldn't pull that off even if she tried.

I'm glad someone else thinks it's as funny as I do.

No, same shard, expressing itself as "evil solar clone = abyssal". Just mentioning the Neverborn to explain why abyssals be like that.

9. ses

ses Experienced.

Off topic as per usual for the wee hours of the morning, but I was reading through the sid charms after reading through some Exalted developer posts expanding and explaining how fate works, and I feel the need to facepalm so hard it leaves a mark. Multiple people in this thread have tried to make guesses for what Charm PtV would lead to when it's "Of Things Desired and Feared". It's almost literally Path to Victory. I don't know why people were guessing things like Wise Choice when this charm exists. In my defense I didn't know about it until I read it a few minutes ago because I'm ride or die slut caste and I've never read the Secrets charms very closely.

Eyemore, space turtle and KonradC like this.
  10. Threadmarks: K.01
    Daniel Snuts

Legend has strong opinions about the battle, and does not hesitate to share them. 'Disaster', 'loose cannon', 'shambles', 'coordination failure'. I let the words wash over me, and wait for him to wind down before I speak.

"Consider: If I had told you this morning that we could ensure the death of Behemoth, but only at the cost of 76% casualties, what would you have said?"

He lets out a sigh and slumps in his chair.

"I would have said go ahead. A victory, after all these years? The morale boost alone would be worth it. In less than two years, it will-" his face twists in a grimace "-it will turn a profit, in lives spent. You are right as always, Rebecca."

That is not entirely true. Parahumans are not as fungible as all that. Even beyond the obvious differences in power, one must consider their skills and temperament, the level of integration with their Agent... suffice to say, someone who has survived two Endbringer fights is far more likely to survive several more, and contribute meaningfully. And we lost a lot of veterans today.

Some would say that the Triumvirate sits atop that pyramid, at 100% survival odds. I disagree. There is no such thing as 100% survival odds, Hero taught me that years ago. But statistically, it's undeniable that most casualties are usually newcomers.

It's unfortunate that we have to waste lives like that, but Contessa and Number Man both agree that it is necessary. Without the culture of 'everyone goes', participation would gradually evaporate as the least useful cohort would bow out, citing their inability to make a difference. Leaving a new least useful cohort in their place, and repeating until we lack the numbers to put up a fight at all.

Though from a different point of view, no one has truly been able to make a difference until today. In that sense, the sacrifice was very much worth it.

Still, I'm not entirely without regrets of my own. If I had- but no. 'An unconventional power that will either ignore Endbringer defenses, or do nothing at all' was a pattern as old as the Endbringers themselves. Until now, it was always the latter. You let the hopefuls take their shot and be disappointed. To dedicate resources, or even attention, to their attempts was a foolish waste of time. Until now. If I hadn't given up hope, if I had treated the two-hundredth freshly-triggered optimist as eagerly as the first...

Legends speaks up again, still looking down at the table. "Who is she? She must have been the target last time too, but she didn't fight then. Why-"

"I don't know," I interrupt.

He looks up at me in surprise. "Didn't you talk to Contessa?"

"I did. When I asked her the same questions, she shrugged."

"She's invisible to Contessa? Like Eidolon? The equivalent Agent, in a natural trigger?"

"No. If she was, Contessa would have said so. Instead, she said nothing at all."

"But-"

I sigh. "I'm going to explain this once, and then we will never speak of it again.

"Esper is visible to Contessa. Contessa is following a Path for dealing with her, a Path that requires that the rest of us know nothing of her. If we were meant to know anything, or do anything, she would have told us. So we will not try to contact Esper. We will not try discover her whereabouts, or her identity. We will not speculate about her motivations or actions, past, present or future. Not the PRT, not the Protectorate, not Cauldron. We will act in all ways as if Esper does not exist."

"That's... I'm not sure I can avoid thinking about the pink elephant. Not when it killed an Endbringer."

"You will do well enough. Contessa has ensured it." Either that or she will kill him in the near future. One member of the Triumvirate, or possibly even all of us, is also an acceptable sacrifice. Let him work that out for himself, or not.

"Should we even be discussing it this much?"

"Yes. This is exactly the conversation we are meant to have." I hesitate, but I can't resist adding one more word: "Obviously."

He chuckles. "Of course. Including my foolishness, and your condescension."

I smile back at him. "Exactly."

A common flaw of Thinkers, that I admit to falling prey to occasionally: 'It was obvious to me.' Unless, of course, Contessa is playing a deeper game, and we're meant to go against 'orders'. But I believe that she's not manipulating me in this instance - which is admittedly something she could easily manipulate me into believing.

Whatever ends up happening will of course be ultimately beneficial to the cause, but there would no doubt be dire consequences for the transgressor. No natural trigger could be said to be entirely well-adjusted, and Esper struck me as worse than most. Approaching her without precognitive support would be incredibly dangerous.

No, these are exactly the things I shouldn't be thinking about.

"Does it ever bother you, the way we've completely given up any semblance of free will?" Legend asks.

"I've given up a great many things."

"That's not an answer to my question," he notes, his voice gentle.

"...Yes. Yes, it does bother me. If you can think of a way, any hypothetical scenario where we could have benefited from this level of precognitive knowledge without shattering such fond illusions... then please don't tell me. I'd like to avoid thinking of the pink elephant."

I can still eke out a fragment of free will within the bounds of predestination. By resolving not to interfere, I can ensure that I will not become the one who was doomed from the start.

Panacea knew her civilian identity.

---

"Coming to you live from the hottest new tourist destination in America, Colin Oestermann. Colin, what is the situation in Brockton Bay?"

"You must understand, the people living here are those who decided to stick around and tough it out after Leviathan attacked. They've been through this before, and proved that they could handle it. There is some fear that this is the start of a new pattern of Endbringer behavior and that the city will be attacked again, but most of the people I've spoken to are determined to rebuild once more."

"Despite that, I understand that there has been some talk of officially abandoning the city?"

"Yes, that's true. However, the idea was never seriously considered, because the tourists started arriving almost immediately. People from all over the world are coming here, people who have lost friends and family to Behemoth or the other Endbringers. The concrete plinth sealing away Behemoth's remains was originally simply meant to contain the radiation, but it has become a monument."

"So they are hoping that the tourist industry will be enough to revitalize the city?"

"Yes, but there was also the concern that people would not stop coming just because the government pulled out. Crowds surround the monument day and night, and people are already starting to call it the 'Mecca of the West'. Brockton Bay will remain - whether as a US city or a lawless shantytown on condemned ground."

"Speaking of the law, Brockton Bay is also famous as one of the worst cities in the country as far as parahuman crime is concerned. Is that still a concern?"

"That is a bit of a concern, yes. Although very few of the old gangs survived the upheavals of the last few months, new ones have moved in to take advantage of the power vacuum. But while the local Protectorate suffered heavy losses the attack, Esper herself has been spotted patrolling several times, and whether out of fear or respect the villains are keeping well away from the area around the monument."

"There is another big concern, which I alluded to earlier when I called it the 'hottest' tourist destination: Hot in more ways than one. Tell us about the radiation situation, Colin."

"I know there are many tall tales out there, but the truth is that it's quite safe to visit. As long as you bring iodine pills and bottled water, a week in Brockton Bay right now is no worse than getting a CT scan. You obviously wouldn't want one of those every week, but there is a team of Tinkers working to sanitize the city as we speak. They promise that they will have the radiation down to normal background levels before the permanent residents can receive a dangerous dose."

"Thank you Colin. Later tonight we have an interview with one of those people: Former villain Dr. Atom, who says that the death of Behemoth made him reconsider his life choices and gave him hope for the future.

"After that: Is Bakuda's greatest crime the key to room-temperature cryonics? We talk to the chairman of the Human Longevity Foundation, which has recently published startling results on the fine structure preservation of amethystization. If you didn't understand any of those words, don't worry. We didn't either.

"But first: In the studio with me is Phil Armstrong, president of the Atomic Advocacy Association. I understand that things are looking up for the AAA, Phil?"

"Indeed. In the past, our two greatest obstacles were concerns over Behemoth, who did occasionally target nuclear plants, and alarmist myths about radiation. Not only do we not have to worry about Behemoth any more, but millions of people around the country are educating themselves about radiation as they contemplate a pilgrimage to Brockton Bay."

"So we will be seeing more nuclear power plants springing up in the future?"

"I certainly hope so. Now that we know that Endbringers can be defeated I would encourage everyone to focus on more long-term problems, like global warming. If we can reduce our dependency on coal and oil-

---

Business has been good lately. Esper footage is selling like hotcakes - good footage from a proper camera, not a blurry red dot in the sky from some pilgrim's shaky cellphone. It takes preparation and dedication to get such shots, but there are worse jobs than sitting on a rooftop all day waiting for a celebrity to fly by.

A noise behind behind me makes me turn around - and drop my camera in shock! (This is why you always keep the lanyard around your neck)

"Esper!" I exclaim.

"Stranger," she greets me in turn. I instinctively start to fade in alarm, but stop when she narrows her eyes at me. It doesn't work so good when someone is looking straight at me.

The sensible thing to do would be to apologize for using my power on her. I almost succeed, but what actually comes out of my mouth is "I'm sorry, but would you mind answering a few questions?" It started out as an apology!

I just couldn't help it. To be the first person to score an interview with Esper... I reach for my phone - despite my earlier thoughts about cellphone footage, the camera around my neck is currently useless, as it can only capture still images of things very far away.

I somehow lose my footing and fall. Well-honed instincts have me dropping my phone and grabbing for my camera, cradling it against me and twisting around to cushion it with my body. The camera is far more expensive than the phone. Pain shoots through my left arm as I land poorly. But the camera is safe, so I breathe a sigh of relief. It is far more expensive than a hospital visit, too.

By the time I pick myself up and find my phone - it fortunately survived the impact on its own - Esper is reading something written on a small piece of paper. Her brow is furrowed in concentration, and I can make out her lips moving beneath her mask as she sounds out the words. Whatever is written there, it causes her to snort in amusement as she crumples the note in her fist.

Dammit! If I had been a tiny bit faster to recover my phone, I'd have footage of the world's greatest hero struggling with literacy. The prices I could get from special ed foundations alone...

Esper looks up to see me filming her. "I'm not here to give interviews," she says. "I'm here to kill Endbringers and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of Endbringers."

She uses her baton to gently push down on my phone. I take the hint and stop recording.

"You owe me," she says, and I nod fervently. A soundbite like that has already paid for my vacation this year.

---

Apparently that's Esper's public persona now. Not what you'd have picked, but what the notes say, goes. The optimal thing to say would have been 'I'd like to thank Jack Slash for teaching me to strike things at a distance. Behemoth would not have died without his efforts.' But that was never in the cards. Jack will get what's coming to him, and it's not a fulfilled soul price.

You used to fret a lot about where the hell the notes were coming from, but there was a note the other day saying 'stop trying to figure out where the notes are coming from'. Like all notes, you trusted it and did exactly what it said, and it worked out to your benefit. It's so much nicer when you don't have to fret over things like that.

That happy conviction last right up until you fly out of Aisha-range, and remember where the notes come from. You heave a deep sigh. But it was enough of an interview to secure the guy's soul price (gotta respect a man whose soul price is to do his job well). Not that a Stranger power weak enough that you can actually study it in action would be very useful, but it was tempting enough for him not to suffer the happy little accidents Aisha has been arranging for his colleagues. Can't have people tracking Esper's whereabouts too closely.

Taking into account how much leisure time you currently have, you'll perhaps get around to studying him sometime next year. As the de facto monarch of what is simultaneously an utterly ruined, mildly radioactive wasteland of a city, and the most popular tourist destination on earth, the amount of free time you have is negative infinity. Just taking over and doing things right for once sounded like a good idea at the time, but it turns out that being a ruler - an actual ruler, not just some asshole sitting back and skimming off tax revenue - is a fucklot of work.

Not necessarily work for Esper - Esper needs to be aloof and mysterious and worshipable, and occasionally be spotted flying above the pilgrim-heavy areas to keep predators at bay, because no one wants to fuck with Esper. But her presence is rarely useful otherwise, because being fawned over by adoring crowds is pointless.

No, you do the behind-the-scenes work of governing in the guise of 'Esper's most trusted minion', an unassuming older lady who, unlike Esper herself, won't be instantly recognized and mobbed wherever she goes. And, as the situation demands, in the guise of her third, fourth, seventh and ninth most trusted minions. Did you mention that you have no free time whatsoever?

You sigh again as you shapeshift, change clothes, and summon the first of your 'fellow' minions to give his report. While by far the most common reaction to Esper's presence is amateur photography, followed closely by blubbering, useless gratitude, a small minority of people man up and ask if they can help. Such people form the non-you part of the new civil service of Brockton Bay (calling it 'the sovereign nation of Esper' outside your own head is just gauche).

Of course, such minions aren't reliable. They're not Loyal. Some of them may theoretically have had the death of an Endbringer as their soul price, but you didn't go around and plant seeds of Loyalty in them ahead of time, now did you? So far there's been exactly one person whose soul price was to 'faithfully serve the great Esper', and she's a teenager with no useful skills whatsoever.

So yes, there are going to be bad actors, seeking you out under false pretenses to benefit themselves, and you can't even use soul's price to weed them out. After all, just because someone's greatest desire is to become filthy rich and never have to work another day in his life, doesn't necessarily mean he will steal to achieve that, or even slack off more than usual.

Luckily you have an invisible minion who can go around looking over people's shoulders. She's been invaluable in rooting out corruption, even if you currently wish she didn't think she was quite so funny.

"It's the fifth one," your chief of police is saying, showing you several pictures of a corpse, taken from various angles. "Clean tox screen, no injuries or disease that my coroner was able to find. Just dead. It's definitely parahuman involvement."

"Don't worry about it," you tell him.

"Don't worry about it? They've all been members of our organization! Someone is targeting-"

"You don't have to worry about it," you say slowly, "because you haven't been embezzling Esper's budget, now have you?"

While you expected him to show some reaction to the revelation, you did not expect him to freeze up like a deer in headlights, with a look of horror on his face. Oh dear. It seems like your invisible minion missed one. You briefly close your eyes and sigh. You really don't want to have to find another chief of police. The guy is good at his job and capable of initiative, for all that he's apparently also terminally stupid.

"Do you believe in an immortal soul?" you ask him.

It takes him a moment to recognize that he is being spoken to. "Well, uh, I suppose yes. I'm a christian man."

You nod sagely. "You know, when I asked Esper what her power did, she told me it cleaves souls asunder. I don't know what a theologian would make of such a claim, but-" you gesture towards the corpse pictures on your desk "-there's clearly something going on there, that did not take place in the physical realm."

He doesn't respond, unless looking like he's about to throw up can be considered a response.

"Look," you say placatingly, "if your department were to receive a large anonymous donation by this time tomorrow, I would not necessarily have to inform-"

He nods and dashes out the door before you can even finish, pale as a sheet. You really hope he's not stupid enough to make a run for it. That would waste even more of your time.

"Next," you tell your uniquely faithful teenage secretary.

---

Finally, long after darkness has fallen, the last minion is dealt with and your day as a bureaucrat is at an end. Which doesn't mean that you get any free time. In the wake of Behemoth, villain group BITN has switched from doing heists (who is even left worth robbing?) to claiming and defending territory. Because while Esper's patrols make her the hero of the people, someone has to be the villain of the vital infrastructure.

No one wants to fuck with ShatterbirdBanshee any more than they want to fuck with Esper, but she can't be everywhere at once, hobbled as she is by the need to not destroy everything around her. You probably spend more time as Poltergeist than in any other guise.

Man, imagine if you needed to sleep.

11. Zxzx24

Well thing established. So... what now?

Limit break finally maybe?

12. Vealie

Vealie Versed in the lewd.

How is this story so good

Syruk, SecretCervix, garnax and 10 others like this.
  13. queermunist

queermunist Cummunism Will Win!

And of course, Taylor will learn nothing from this and not apply the lesson to how she's been failed by local institutions in her own life.

14. Saltade

Saltade Verified Salty

Trainwrecks are entertaining and Nazis are always good at being trainwrecks

15. zapking5

Legend doesn't know about Contessa.

Interlude 14.5

16. ses

ses Experienced.

I mean that's less of a problem for you than literally anyone else in the world, most likely including Teacher himself.

I'm guessing Flechette is RIP from Behemoth's expanded aura. Who else? Rachel is probably rip along with Kid Win. Miss Militia should probably also be RIP. Half expecting the only survivor of the Wards/Protectorate to be Clockblocker and Defiant. And Defiant only because he needs to pay off his Dragon bullshit.

Genuinely surprised there was no mention yet of where the E88 mortals are. I actually really do hope they can continue their thing under Taylor's guidance.

I also just want to point out that everyone is treating Taylor as a mindless power monster when she's apparently sacrificing her full 12 hours of powerstudy she gets a day for civil service. Honestly I wouldn't do that beyond VEE'ing some of Evil Taylor's leadership lackeys and importing them in.

EDIT: Wait no she hasn't digested Shatterbird yet, she's probably getting at least 8 hours in, but I doubt she can fit the full 12.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    Lis91, Ruy, lurkinglurker and 5 others like this.
  17. Dread Pirate Gilligan

Dread Pirate Gilligan Getting out there.

Taylor's guidance? But, everyone knows that Taylor is dead... Killed by that crazy colored gang that is half ex-S9 members. Why, they even collected on the bounty for her kill order on live T.V. - She has to wait until she gets a power that allows her to assume a ghostly form before she can go back to leading the former E88 mortals again. ;)

Right now she is more likely to have them suicide themselves attempt to avenge her against her Poltergeist persona.

18. omni001

omni001 Versed in the lewd.

Oh good, path to pyrrhic victory bullshit.

Interesting chapter otherwise, I wonder if the intern is Madison and Taylor just forgot about her?

19. ses

ses Experienced.

That has the problem of being stupid though. Contessa-hours are literally the most valuable commodity on the planet, even with Cauldron's terminal retardation she has better things to do than play silent bodyguard.

Honestly having it be Madison would be very cool and I'm totally not biased by any master!Taylor/Madison fics that already exist, but it's not and you know it.

20. Amberion

Amberion Know what you're doing yet?

Because despite some rough spots of dramatically stupid behavior, Taylor is internally consistent as a character, and the author has an imagination to keep the plot moving forward with interesting events and doesn't get bogged down with irrelevant trivia.

21. Flashbunny

Flashbunny Not too sore, are you?

True. It's pretty common for him to know in fanon though, because it's just so pointless that they hid her from him that people forget.

22. zapking5

They do pretend to him that they unfortunately can't take down the Nine and other things around those lines, which wouldn't really work if he knew about Path to Victory. Presumably he doesn't know about Clairvoyant either.

I'm not really sure why they bothered considering Legend basically did nothing after Cauldron was exposed, but they can't pretend to be unable to solve certain problems that they deliberately allow to exist if they tell him about Path to Victory.

riaantheunissen, Eyemore, Ruy and 3 others like this.
  23. snthsnth

snthsnth Versed in the lewd.

One of the best parts is that it doesn't get bogged down with the 'how will they perceive me' bullshit that most Wormfics struggle with. Identity compromised? Make a new one. Found out by group X or person Y? They disappear from the story as Taylor ignores them. Defiant/Armsmaster is her most consistent adversary, as he just hasn't died yet.

The long term consequences are pretty much always that Taylor becomes more powerful and her adversaries and useless allies die.

24. Amberion

Amberion Know what you're doing yet?

I think(and this is just my opinion, and my preference in stories, and other people's opinions may differ, and that's totally valid too) but the problem with SI's or other type of stories which use formats like gamer or celestial forge or cyoa power manipulation, or tinkering, is that the authors frequently get bogged down in 'what i'm building' or 'what i'm making' or 'what powers i'm constructing, how they work, how i can effectively leverage them', etc, and they do chapter after chapter, which is 90% of this stuff, and the plot goes absolutely nowhere, and they've lost me in the first few chapters.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    Xaliuss, Eyemore, Lis91 and 7 others like this.
  25. Edifier

Edifier Trusted within thoughts.

I think battleforge dances around all those pitfalls very gracefully.

26. omni001

omni001 Versed in the lewd.

What master Taylor/Madison fics are these that are not biasing you?

27. Daniel Snuts

There's the cookie. That would be a very profitable thing to announce, as opposed to things that everyone already knows.

Back in school, I never understood the idea of a reading comprehension test. "How is this a test? The answers are right there." I was intellectually aware that there were people who somehow didn't always get full marks on those, but it didn't really sink in until earlier this year, when I started getting comments from people clearly reading a story I didn't write, but which was superficially similar to the story I did write.

Oh right, Legend knows about Number Man, not Contessa. Blargh. I'd try to remake it with Eidolon as the interlocutor, but Eidolon was busy hiding/recuperating/sulking and really doesn't want to talk about Esper and things that may or may not have happened between them. Ever.

Two words: Fenrir's Children. In one stroke Evil Taylor managed to make them so toxic she doesn't want to reinfiltrate and take over again.

I mentally refer to her as "new and improved Taylor 2.0: Less introspection, more self-awareness".

This fic is all about getting them powers, though. The combo used to defeat Behemoth is something I spent a lot of effort and attention on constructing - in the planning stage, and then it required a bunch of plot to get everything in place. Compared to the typical example of the 'power-accumulating' genre, I'd say my main advantage is that I carefully made the main character not story-crushingly overpowered, instead of the opposite of that. Though the genre itself ensures such things are fleeting, as we can start to see here closing in on chapter 100.

28. ses

ses Experienced.

I mean I appreciate the emotional knife, it was masterfully executed. I guess I just didn't see it as breaking her positive intimacies towards the rank and file and her desire to care for her people. I'm going to miss Alex and Sven and Fake Swede and Big Brain. Feels weird to me that now that she's finally in a straight up leadership position with the power to decide such things she's not making an active effort to ensure that whites are the ones rebuilding civilization. Too much of a retread of post-leviathan?

I was the same way too about reading comp in school, but I botch my reading comp skill checks juuust often enough for me to hate and berate myself for being a moron.

space turtle likes this.
  29. snthsnth

snthsnth Versed in the lewd.

No, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. It's the danger of any kind of leveling/power growth/tech improvement fic. There's a bit of interesting stuff at the start where the MC will be learning what the system is and what it lets them improve. That honeymoon phase is meant to be left behind and real life resumes, with a plus one.

Look at the Iron Man films, the tech making part went down with each new film, character interaction and plot were the focus going forward. The new tech would get shown off, but you wouldn't watch Tony making the MK50, he just has it now.

Now look at the updates for a gamer fic that has a game focus. 3.5k words total, 1k story, 1.5k powers, 500 '+1 word', and 500 updated status.

Celestial Forge on the other hand, my understanding is that it's designed to pad the wordcount. Something like every 10k words you get a new power IIRC. Utter retardation from a storytelling perspective.

gustyeagle, garnax, determind and 5 others like this.
  30. space turtle

space turtle Not too sore, are you?

I cannot wait for some people to put 2+2 together and work out that it takes twice as many hits to kill an EB as a parahuman. And three more than a regular old human!

The Fallen will suddenly seem a lot less crazy when they claim the EBs are gods/angels when they have twice the soul of anyone that isn’t Eidolon / Fairy Queen.

Haven are gonna have a bad time learning humans are worth far less, but at least it proves the whole “soul” thing!

Eyemore likes this.