• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

This is the first time I have ever seen the claim that mineral content of water affects cooking. I mean it clearly does have effects on some things - soap lather, scale buildup, pipe corrosion - but cooking? Maybe a small difference in quantity of chemical leavening agents needed? Not sure if anyone has tried to measure it.
Generally the main effect would be WRT to consistency as opposed to quality. IIRC for bread Flour protein is the main variable factor with Hardness of water being a tertiary factor.

Generally it's not important enough to measure, but cumulatively every ingredient used can eventually total to a unexpected if minor results.

For me, certain yeast based recipe don't work properly, but that's due to the ambienmt temperature being off.

Given the past week's discussion about bread and flour when making parata paired with this video popping on my recommended likely because my recentish search for tortilla recipes I decided to post this video here because of the recipes and because they also mention how finicky baking can be at times.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnApthldLPY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSi7KaA8O2o

EDIT: Added a second parata video with extra details and explanations about making it.

Last edited:
Given the past week's discussion about bread and flour when making parata paired with this video popping on my recommended likely because my recentish search for tortilla recipes I decided to post this video here because of the recipes and because they also mention how finicky baking can be at times.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnApthldLPY

Random note, but "roti" is also mostly used to refer to unleavened bread. There's a leavened version called a "Khameeri roti", which literally just means something along the lines of "yeasted bread", khameer being the word for yeast. They're usually rolled out and have some parts of refined white flour added to them, usually equal parts or less refined flour to whole wheat. What he's made here is, I'd argue, more Khameeri roti than naan. Naans usually get pressed out into a vaguely round shape by hand, like with pizzas, with the fingers being used to press a pattern into them.

Also, high heat is important for both roti and naans. A lot of times, in order to puff up the roti, the semi-cooked roti is moved off the pan and directly onto the fire in short bursts. The high heat of the tandoor is also important in making naans puff up, similar to a Neopolitan-style pizza. You can improvise the same by flipping the pan upside down and holding it slightly over the flame.

Also also, while Indian naans are pretty famous, I'm personally more of a fan of more Central Asian ones. Roghani naans, Afghani naans, Tajik Non—they look fucking gorgeous and taste delicious too. More on the thicker side, though, and usually topped with sesame seeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back