• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Daily Crashing of QQ

Server filled up when it created a temp copy of the database for the nightly backup.
Note that the server would have plenty of room for this function- the site db isn't taking up all the space or anything. It's other things, like the Image Proxy Cache (this is the primary culprit), and the other database copy used for Xenforo 2 testing (yes, this is still happening *eventually*) that are also taking up space.

It happened twice in a row, we think we got a temporary fix by assigning the last of the spare space to the partition.

It's also accelerating our plan to move to a new host, as our findings are showing that the current hosting provider is also a big factor on why our emails to people are failing (there are other people using the same provider sending spam, triggering some blacklists to on-again-off-again block the entire provider's email).

What happened during the "dark ages"?
There was a period where SB was increasingly unreliable and slow. The mods imposed a series of increasingly draconian thread size limits (down to 20 pages max at the worst point) because longer threads impose heavier costs on the database. A fair number of members bailed, and SV was created as an alternative when it looked like the site might well fail altogether (though most of the traffic moved back once the problems were fixed; SV didn't really get popular in its own right until the Athene Incident a while later).

Should I be backing up fics I like?
No harm in it, but there doesn't seem to be any real threat of the site going down. 'Disc full' is only a fatal problem for a site which is either unsupported (so there's no one to fix it) or extremely resource-strapped (so they can't even upgrade to a larger storage option).

Athens incident what's that?
In 2014 Spacebattles staff announced the retirement of a well liked supermoderator.

Only it turns out she didn't retire, she was "retired". The staff told her in a message she was fired, and told her that they would be lying to everyone to avoid drama and saying she retired. Then they posted the retirement announcement thread before waiting for a response from her.

Shit hit the fan when she leaked what the staff privately messaged her in her "retirement" thread.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/athene-retiring.295647/?post=13984793#post-13984793

Last edited:
In 2014 Spacebattles staff announced the retirement of a well like supermoderator.

Only it turns out she didn't retired, she was "retired". The staff told her in a message she was fired, and told her that they would be lying to everyone and saying she retired to avoid drama. Then posted the retirement thread before waiting for a response from her.

Shit hit the fan when she leaked what the staff privately messaged her in her "retirement" thread.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/athene-retiring.295647/?post=13984793#post-13984793
Between the SB 'Dark ages' and the 'Athene incident' it is starting to look like a hidden magical hentai world secret history that only magical people can access or something.
How should we call this one if it continues? Partition Query? Imaginary space Separation?

Last edited:
A fair number of members bailed, and SV was created as an alternative when it looked like the site might well fail altogether (though most of the traffic moved back once the problems were fixed; SV didn't really get popular in its own right until the Athene Incident a while later
No, this isn't right on several levels.

1) Squishy made SV because he was permabanned from SB in 2013 (possibly late 2012, but I don't think so) and wanted a similar debate forum. Server problems and the Athene Incident are reasons that people jumped ship and SV reached critical mass, but the reason Squishy made the site? No.

2) Service was still crappy when the Athene Incident happened in 2014. The switch to XenForo seems to have been mid-2012, but Kier was an absentee owner and there were still issues (part of the fallout of the Athene Incident was that Kier sold the site to The Observer, who was able to fix shit - this despite the fact that TO was the one responsible for the Athene Incident in the first place).

3) SV went online during the Athene Incident; Squishy rushed the timetable in order to take advantage of the anger.

Marcrawsky, ogami-kun: it's "Athene", not "Athens".

Last edited:
QQ has been stably going up and down and up and down and up and down for the last few days. Huh.

Is the server slowly cowgirling someone?

(I know the actual reason, yes, I've read the rest of the thread, I just wanted t make that joke ever since QQ crashed again today)

So, the site went down at around four, and just now came back up a little after ten. That's a full quarter of the day it's been nothing but 502 errors. If saving all of the images to the backup is causing the site to be down 25% of the time, do they really need that thorough of a backup? Or am I misunderstanding the issue here?

Since it looks like this is going to keep happening for the near future I'm wondering.

Would it be possible to temporarily disable the automatic backups and have them done manually when someone is sitting there ready to get the server back up right away?

5~6 hours long for me this time and for the last three days (I think? I remember this being the third) straight starting at the exact same time to. I was wondering if this problem was unique to me. I knew that the 500 errors are for server side though so not like I can do anything about it. Good to know both my computer and phone aren't misreading the error or whatever though so there's at least one speck of silver. Was assuming it was some bizarre fuckery happening during a server backup making it trip over itself and paranoia resulting in the backup being every 24 hours or some form of code to let things settle and retry if failure occurs.
[Edit]
10 minutes...
[/Edit]

Last edited:
Yeah, no offense, but this is getting a little worrying….is there anything that we members/posters can do to help the mods with this? I'm aware that I probably can't do much (especially since website/forum management might as well be a foreign language to me), but I'd like to at least ask if there's anything I can do.

5~6 hours long for me for the last five days straight starting at the exact same time to. I was wondering if this problem was unique to me. I knew that the 500 errors are for server side though so not like I can do anything about it. Good to know both my computer and phone aren't misreading the error or whatever though. Was assuming it was some bizarre fuckery happening during a server backup making it trip over itself and paranoia resulting in the backup being every 24 hours.
We got a reason earlier but the temp fix only worked for one day.
Server filled up when it created a temp copy of the database for the nightly backup.
Note that the server would have plenty of room for this function- the site db isn't taking up all the space or anything. It's other things, like the Image Proxy Cache (this is the primary culprit), and the other database copy used for Xenforo 2 testing (yes, this is still happening *eventually*) that are also taking up space.

It happened twice in a row, we think we got a temporary fix by assigning the last of the spare space to the partition.

It's also accelerating our plan to move to a new host, as our findings are showing that the current hosting provider is also a big factor on why our emails to people are failing (there are other people using the same provider sending spam, triggering some blacklists to on-again-off-again block the entire provider's email).

If the issue is actual data space why not lock down (and/or purge) the image threads? I'm pretty sure even those most implicated in these would rather see them blocked for a week or two rather than these daily hours-long 502s that affect the entire forum...

If the issue is actual data space why not lock down (and/or purge) the image threads? I'm pretty sure even those most implicated in these would rather see them blocked for a week or two rather than these daily hours-long 502s that affect the entire forum...
Given their size/number actually purging the threads would (to the best of my knowledge) basically destroy the server, there's a reason why Xenforo (1 and 2) just hides stuff that's deleted. Unless they need to do it to comply with a court order/stave off unlimited legal troubles the threads aren't going to be hard deleted.

Hope it stops soon.
Would be pretty sad if it didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back