• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Gendered nouns, nonstandard and otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The average American needs the small routines of getting ready for work. As he shaves or blow-dries his hair or pulls on his panty-hose, he is easing himself by small stages into the demands of the day."

You know, seeing that, I cannot help but think that's a loaded way of asking a question. Instead of trying something provocative, why not something more neutral like 'He's taking his breakfast and reading the newspaper'?

I mean, rewording it in a less problematic way is also a solution.

that's a loaded way of asking a question
He's quoting something that's deliberately meant to mess with expectations and "prove" that using the word 'he' as a gender neutral is wrong. It's unfairly weighted to begin with. Not high literature. But that's okay, the 'he' thing still works just fine as far as grammatical correctness goes. It's just not how our brains are used to interpreting the information.

You know, seeing that, I cannot help but think that's a loaded way of asking a question. Instead of trying something provocative, why not something more neutral like 'He's taking his breakfast and reading the newspaper'?

I don't intend it to be provacative. This is a standard linguistic method of investigation. You find an example sentence, and you gather judgments from native speakers - judgments of grammaticality and judgments of markedness. The sentences used are often strange in some ways, but that's often necessary; examining corner cases like this is how you tease apart the various factors involved and distinguish one possible hypothesis from another.

He's quoting something that's deliberately meant to mess with expectations and "prove" that using the word 'he' as a gender neutral is wrong.
Yes, the sentence is constructed for that purpose. This is how science works. For our purposes, it's not meaningfully different from constructing a laboratory experiment. You have competing hypotheses, you gather data, and you compare the results to the possible explanations.

The judgments of grammaticality and markedness we've collected for this sentence are consistent with the suggestion that 'he' is not gender-neutral. It's possible for the data to be consistent with more than one hypothesis, though, so I'm attempting to clarify what your alternative explanation for the data is, to make sure I've understood it. Hence, my question.

Oh. Wow, that is a clunky way to ask the question. I would say that no, it is deliberately unreasonable to expect most people to know gender off of it alone. Sure, on average there are more females than males total in the USA. But it's a pretty narrow margin and isn't enough to go on. I'm not even sure that "average" still favors women if we're only talking a clearly working age adult, as opposed to children and retirees.

I only know from the context that it's deliberately subversive to expect this to be a woman. And I can't prove he's not male, really. Maybe he just has a job as a Rocky Horror actor? Or part of a punk band? The cultural average suggests this is a female's morning routine, but that's not proof of anything.
Sorry, missed this post earlier.

Okay. Earlier, I understood you to suggest that 'he' can be gender-neutral, but when used in that way when the gender is known, there is awkwardness. The quote is here (and the quote box links back to the post; the selection here is meant to be a citation, not the full context):
Besides, in that particular example you're reading something that clearly and obviously is known to have a gender. The psychological assumption is once the gender becomes obvious- as either male or female- you will default to using their gender appropriate pronouns.
So, if you're not suggesting that the gender here is known, what is the source of the markedness in this sentence - that is, why does it seem odd?

Again, my intention is not to be provocative. I'm seeking to clarify my understanding of your position.

I mean, rewording it in a less problematic way is also a solution.
The hypothesis is that "he" is a gender neutral pronoun, at least when used to refer to a hypothetical person or a person of unknown gender. For this to be true, people should think that there's nothing unusual about referring to a hypothetical average American who happens to be female with the pronoun "he." If this isn't true, then "he" is unlikely to be a true neutral pronoun--instead, it is a pronoun that implies that the default person is male. (Pepperjack is right about alternate hypotheses being possible, but I have yet to see any.)

Anyway, the less provocative example isn't very useful because if the claim that male pronouns are truly neutral were correct, that sentence wouldn't be provocative in the first place.

Anyway, the less provocative example isn't very useful because if the claim that male pronouns are truly neutral were correct, that sentence wouldn't be provocative in the first place.
I would prefer to say that the example "he's taking his breakfast and reading the newspaper" provides no useful data, since the competing hypothesis make identical predictions about the expected judgments of its grammaticality and markedness. In order for the utterance to be useful, the hypotheses under examination need to predict different judgments, so that the results can distinguish between them.

are consistent with the suggestion that 'he' is not gender-neutral
It's also consistent with the widely held belief that English is the weirdest and most self contradictory language in the world and every possible rule it has can easily be destroyed with a bit of time and effort. Seriously, yo, English is a fucked up language. Anyone arguing otherwise ain't got a clue of this shit.

... Not gonna lie, that made me feel a little dirty. But that was still following The Rules of English. Somehow.

So, if you're not suggesting that the gender here is known
I'm suggesting the the gender can be reasonably assumed- at approximately the moment the pantyhose go on. Blow drying is uncommon for men, but not unheard of. Wearing pantyhose is pretty rare.

The "average American" line offers literally zero clues as to the gender, in the same way shaving doesn't. Both sexes (and I do mean sexes here, not genders tend to shave at least sometimes). So the qualifier that makes gender appear obvious is the pantyhose. Where this is most likely either a woman, or a male to female transgender (and thus entitled to the 'her' label). But just because at this point you're at least 95% certain doesn't mean it's a known absolute fact.

that is, why does it seem odd
It seems odd because you're presented with a scenario that seems to clearly indicate a man at first. The writer uses the word "he". It is assumed, as a part of English, that 'he' is used with an 'unknown or male'. The author of a given piece of work automatically knows the sex of their character.

Or at least should. I mean. He's writing this story. She should be aware of the characters to that degree at least. Not telling is deliberate sabotage of the readers' expectations. Which is why that entire short story is totally proper English (follows all the rules) but carries a level of shock. Because the writer deliberately set out to misdirect the reader.

that sentence wouldn't be provocative in the first place
Not hardly. Simply the part where the writer lies to the reader about metaknowledge of the story in order to evoke a surprise reaction is enough. Gender need not be an invocation at all. But the expectation is that the writer knows this is a female (probably) and deliberately lies to the audience by setting up with the word "he" when said writer knows he should use the known gender.

Not that the writer lying to the reader is an inherently wrong thing... it is a *wonderful* tool if used well. And a shitty asspull if used poorly.

But it is the deliberate twisting of the English language to serve a purpose, and by definition that means the usual rules can't apply.

Take this little gem that's probably older than all of us:

The complex houses married and single soldiers and their families.

Everything about this sentence is correct. But it's a pain in the ass to figure out. Because you're deliberately abusing the language to make it not make sense. My language professor told me it's actually easier for foreign speakers to figure out than native English speakers.

Reread it as "The building offers shelter to soldiers and their families."- which is the way the English Reader is trained to expect the English Writer to present this. This is the clean and expected way, and when that's broken things get hard on the reader. So it is with the use of 'he' leading up to the reveal that the story is about a woman. More or less.

Now that you've seen that, go back and look at the original piece and see if you can read it the way you were trying to before, or if you just auto-understand the meaning.

It's basically a seeing eye puzzle.

See what I mean? You can follow 100% proper English and make it a whole lot harder to comprehend than the use of 'he' in its neutral pronoun status.

Last edited:
The complex houses married and single soldiers and their families.
Got it about two seconds. Put another way, the compound shelters soldiers, both married and single, as well as their families.

I'll get to the rest of your post in a bit.

I would prefer to say that the example "he's taking his breakfast and reading the newspaper" provides no useful data, since the competing hypothesis make identical predictions about the expected judgments of its grammaticality and markedness. In order for the utterance to be useful, the hypotheses under examination need to predict different judgments, so that the results can distinguish between them.

Well, yes, obviously the judgment that it's provocative comes after the fact--as a hypothesis, you'd want to phrase the distinction in a more neutral way. But it doesn't seem like anyone is actually disagreeing that that passage sounds odd and provocative.

It seems odd because you're presented with a scenario that seems to clearly indicate a man at first. The writer uses the word "he". It is assumed, as a part of English, that 'he' is used with an 'unknown or male'. The author of a given piece of work automatically knows the sex of their character.

Or at least should. I mean. He's writing this story. She should be aware of the characters to that degree at least. Not telling is deliberate sabotage of the readers' expectations. Which is why that entire short story is totally proper English (follows all the rules) but carries a level of shock. Because the writer deliberately set out to misdirect the reader.

Not hardly. Simply the part where the writer lies to the reader about metaknowledge of the story in order to evoke a surprise reaction is enough. Gender need not be an invocation at all. But the expectation is that the writer knows this is a female (probably) and deliberately lies to the audience by setting up with the word "he" when said writer knows he should use the known gender.

Not that the writer lying to the reader is an inherently wrong thing... it is a *wonderful* tool if used well. And a shitty asspull if used poorly.

I think you are confused. The example isn't a piece of fiction, but a statement about the way average Americans start their day. The "average American" referred to isn't a fictional character, but a conglomerate--a hypothetical "average" person.

a statement about the way average Americans start their day
Oh. Well then. As a piece of fiction intended to get a reaction, it at least had merit.

Now it's just shit. The "average American" doesn't have a job where pantyhose are much of an option. Pants are the default because most jobs don't treat skirt wearers well. Let alone pantyhose. And this whole thing grossly misrepresents what things are like in this country for the majority- aka, the "average".

It failed entirely to mention the subject making sure the 2.3 or whatever children are up and getting ready for school or daycare. Seriously, leg shaving takes a long time... he'd have to get up three hours before the kids did to pull off this routine if it includes that. Just as a single example amongst many.

Then again, I suppose this thing doesn't say he shaved his legs. But the implication is there.

So. No. If this is a "statement about average Americans starting their day" then it's done by a moron. Which I also can't rule out. But be real here, we all know this was just a piece of fiction used to make a social message, not any kind of legitimate attempt at portraying the American Lifestyle.

Is English a second language for you? Because that, or lots of experience with language word games, are the most common reasons to get that easily.
I am a native English speaker. I've always had an interest in language; perhaps more relevantly (or perhaps not?), I have a bachelor's degree in linguistics.

To be fair, it might have been three or four seconds. I'm not always the best at judging time.

These can be called "garden path sentences," because the listener is metaphorically led along without being able to see where they're going. I think they're pretty fun. One of my favorites is, "the horse raced past the barn fell."

I'm suggesting the the gender can be reasonably assumed- at approximately the moment the pantyhose go on.
Thank you for clarifying. That's what I'd thought you meant at first, but I couldn't be sure.

The author of a given piece of work automatically knows the sex of their character.

Or at least should. I mean. He's writing this story. She should be aware of the characters to that degree at least. Not telling is deliberate sabotage of the readers' expectations.
I agree with these statements, but I disagree that they apply to this example in the way I think you mean. As you say, "the average American" offers no clue as to gender; I might even go so far as to say it's ungendered. The average American is not a specific, concrete person, but rather an abstract person, and as such can have no gender.

Accordingly, I don't read this author as dishonest - at least, not in a world where 'he' is a gender-neutral pronoun.

It seems odd because you're presented with a scenario that seems to clearly indicate a man at first. The writer uses the word "he". It is assumed, as a part of English, that 'he' is used with an 'unknown or male'.
I agree with you that in the case of a concrete individual, the reader's expectation would be that that (1) the author knows the gender of the person, and that (2) the author wants to avoid ambiguity, and the violation of the reader's expectations would be sufficient explanation for the markedness of this sentence. If the author knows the gender, then he must be using 'he' to refer to a male; it's the only option that fits.

However, in the case of a subject with no concrete referent, both options remain open. In fact, I would suppose that the reader to expect the author to be using 'he' in its (hypothesized) role as a gender-neutral pronoun. "The average American" is no more male than they are female.

If the markedness of this sentence is the result of reader surprise - from the suggestion of a female-associated activity performed by a gender-neutral subject, perhaps? - then I would expect the same judgement of markedness from

"When one shaves or brushes one's hair or pulls on one's pantyhose [...]"​

To me, at least, that sentence is not equally marked.

I agree, however, that in the world we live in, there is an expectation that the referent is male, and I agree that this expectation seems created by the use of 'he.' To me, this suggests that 'he' is a masculine pronoun, used in cases of unknown gender as a default, but not capable of being used in gender neutral contexts without an implication of masculinity.

My explanation of the markedness would be that it comes from a conflict between the masculine implication of 'he' and the feminine implication of pulling on one's pantyhose. 'He' is compatible with an unspecified gender, but not, apparently, the implication of femininity.

Slightly ninja'd:

So. No. If this is a "statement about average Americans starting their day" then it's done by a moron. Which I also can't rule out. But we all know this was just a piece of fiction used to make a social message, not any kind of legitimate attempt at portraying the American Lifestyle.
I don't believe this is relevant to the grammatical inquiry. Either the sentence is marked, or it isn't. Reader expectations play into that, but author intentions do not.

Edit: Screwed up my irrelevant tangent under the spoiler. It's fixed now.

Last edited:
an abstract person, and as such can have no gender
Point. And an interesting way to look at it. I think I'll enjoy following this train of thought. Mind you, this is train of thought... don't expect everything to be cohesive.

When one shaves or brushes one's hair or pulls on one's pantyhose
Yeah. That isn't as marked. But also note you used the word or, not the word and. You've made the statement into a plural instead of a singular. I'm thinking of these as three people now. Which, interestingly enough, revealed a subconscious bias I didn't know I had.

I automatically default to "male" when I hear "shaving". Which when I think about it makes sense. Most shaving commercials? Directed at men. Men do generally shave more often than women. We kinda have to... facial hair grows much faster than other body hair, and it's more visible in daily life.

But still, it's a clear subconscious bias that I hadn't thought about. And it serves to exaggerate the dissonance of the little word trap that writer gave.

Now, we know that "one" is a sometimes valid gender neutral pronoun. No controversy there. Except that it's ugly and most people avoid it.

Let's alter your alteration. Back to "he".

"When he shaves or brushes his hair or pulls on (his) pantyhose" When phrased this way, I am still interpreting this as multiple individuals, and I find no special markedness. That final "his" is redundant, but that was redundant from the "one" as well. We sort of automatically assume people wear their own clothing unless specifically told otherwise. Someone else's would be an important detail the author is supposed to provide us with.

But if we alter it to "and" (which is back to the original writer's standard) instead of "or", then all of this sounds like it belongs to one person's life...

"When one shaves and brushes one's hair and pulls on (one's) pantyhose"... I actually find this sentence odd. Because the shaving made me think "man" and the pantyhose made me think "woman".

It's the same swapping in "he". I don't experience a problem with the "or", but I do experience it with the "and".

Interestingly enough, swapping out one/he for 'she' still reads smoothly, because that reminds me that "oh, yeah, women shave." Although even that... it's weird to think of her shaving as part of her 'daily routine'. Is she a bikini model or something?

Huh... That is fucking diabolical...

but author intentions do not.
When an author is setting up to deliberately mess with the readers' mental expectations, then his intentions very much matter.

After all- this is English. You have a BA in language studies, you should be more aware than most that in this language there's always a way to break it. And this one breaks incontrovertibly nongendered pronoun like "one", at least from where I'm sitting. It breaking "he" as well would be expected.

Last edited:
Yeah. That isn't as marked. But also note you used the word or, not the word and.
Was it not "or" in the original?

The difference it makes is interesting, but this wasn't a deliberate alteration on my part (nor, unless I'm mistaken, was it an alteration at all).

Again, this post is an initial reaction. I'm still digesting the rest of your post, and may respond to it shortly. Unless I pass out.

Was it not "or" in the original?
Oh. It was. Fuck. I shouldn't do these thinkings when tired and running on train of thought. Usually I do a fact check reread... Either way, it *is* interesting how the word "and" completely alters the whole affair. but the whole thing is as follows.

"The average American needs the small routines of getting ready for work. As he shaves or blow-dries his hair or pulls on his panty-hose, he is easing himself by small stages into the demands of the day"

There's no "and", granted. But the phrasing of "The Average American needs" is very much singular. Going with that instead of "average Americans need" does push the language in that direction. There's also the other singulars despite this needing to be pluralized.

You're absolutely right that reading after it has been fully pluralized- something I missed- takes away the problem. But it also takes away the ability to use "he" at all, at least as I'm reading it. If you're thinking "plural", it doesn't have any marked language.

... Of course, if you're thinking plural, then the correct word is they.

Of course 'he' is incorrect! So is 'she', and 'it'... they all fall apart under scrutiny because they're all the wrong tense. "They" still holds up perfectly. It's plural, even if some people use it in the singular much to my annoyance and begrudging admittance that it's still valid English, even if it is slang.

I'm not sure about 'one'. That's a neutral pronoun that looks weird as fuck to me even when used correctly.

Anyway... I will now edit the whole thing to be both grammatically and conventionally correct now. Unless I typo or miss something.

"Average Americans need the small routines of getting ready for work. As they shave or blow-drie their hair or pull on their panty-hose, they are easing themselves by small stages into the demands of the day". That last part looks weird, too. That it's a singular in a sentence of plurals... but it's also correct, near as I can tell, because of the expansiveness of the word "day". "Their days" would also work. Still. My brain's fixed on marking this as special for some reason.

I knew I sensed something off about that whole thing, and it wasn't the gender layer. Except maybe in the shaving part while seeing it as a singular instead of multiple individuals.

I still stand by my statement of "diabolical".

... Maybe I should do random sleep deprived guesswork more often... yeah, it was so embarrassingly wrong that I want to delete the whole thing... but it DID let me trip and land face first on the real answer.

Last edited:
I only know from the context that it's deliberately subversive to expect this to be a woman. And I can't prove he's not male, really. Maybe he just has a job as a Rocky Horror actor? Or part of a punk band? The cultural average suggests this is a female's morning routine, but that's not proof of anything.
I'm saying no to that, the cultural average suggests it's talking about someone of unknown gender. The average idea of shaving in the morning gives a male after all while putting on pantyhose gives female, blow drying his hair has a female tendency after all. Although you seem to have partially tackled this issue since then in realising they aren't all true for every hypothetical individual but rather used to increase uncertainty.

"The average American needs the small routines of getting ready for work. As they shave, blow-dry their hair or pull on thier panty-hose, they are easing himself by small stages into the demands of the day."

The issue is you're arguing the variant with He is somehow more valid than that variant, if people read that the majority would almost certainly simply come out without knowledge of the gender, there would be no surprise or having to think because there is no default assumption of masculinity that is unsettled by the panty-hose. In fact I believe something like the following fits best with your claims, where you swap to female pronouns when describing primarily female actions and while that modifies the first he into being distinctly gendered and it also clearly demonstrates the second he is used for an unknown gender.

"The average American needs the small routines of getting ready for work. As he shaves or blow-dries her hair or pulls on her panty-hose, he is easing himself by small stages into the demands of the day."

Also as an aside your argument that there is no need for a true gender neutral pronoun for contexts where the gender is clearly known is invalid, there are cases when concealing the gender of a known individual without lying about their gender is desirable and in that case using the "he" is clearly fundamentally opposed to that goal as when describing a known individual "he" is presumed to refer to a male which is not conducive with avoiding implications of gender.
... Maybe I should do random sleep deprived guesswork more often... yeah, it was so embarrassingly wrong that I want to delete the whole thing... but it DID let me trip and land face first on the real answer.
Actually your post just seems to have avoided the question of how it applies to singulars via modifying it to use plurals so the issue disappears as you're attacking the sentence and not the validity of "he" as gender neutral in that sentence. You've also failed to provide any reason why the singular they is slang other the you don't like it either, slang is perfectly capable of evolving beyond that so starting as slang is irrelevant, plenty of more modern words did the same thing, such as "gay" for instance which really isn't a slang word for homosexuals anymore and just an informal one. If everybody uses a piece of slang then that means it's no longer slang, being slang requires something being non-standard and generally context specific after all, something like the singular they or gay as homosexual are standard and unremarkable pieces of language, something like "hippie" that came out of pretty much nowhere is a word that was slang without prior meanings and quickly lost that title as it became a word, it stopped being a slang method of describing particular people and became the standard method of doing so.

It is interesting to read this. English is a curiously weird language. Interesting to compare with German to since we actually tend to use the female pronoun for unkowns quite often, also as a polite form of speaking while disregarding the actual sex/gender of the person.

This is due to "Sie" (Germ. "She") double working as a plural in a similar way to "you" and also being used as a polite way of saying "Du" (Which is the casual "you"), mostly used in Letters/E-Mails with Job related stuff or when talking to a teacher or someone older, or someone you don't know much. In this case "Sie" can mean any gender/sex amusingly.

I'm not sure if "Sie" didn't start as a polite second singular, as many words which are now used were politer in the past as you can see with "Damen und Herren"

It may have been used as poth potentially, politeness was much more important in the part after all, but I do think it is more important what a word is used for right now, instead of why people in a far away past made it originally for. Plus, if "Sie" wasn't used for females in the past... it would make me wonder what its precedessor was?

attacking the sentence
Not attacking the sentence. Correcting its grammar. It's using singular to describe a plural (the plural being Americans). Either switch the whole thing to plural, or switch to describing a singular. But as it's written in that sentence, of course the gender neutral 'he' doesn't work. Neither does the other gender neutral 'it'. Neither does the gendered 'he'. Or 'she'. Or pretty much anything other than 'they', which has a plural meaning. Hehe. Pun.

you're arguing the variant with He is somehow more valid than that variant
Singular 'they' is a slang term. 'He' is the term that's been officially used for centuries. While it's certainly possible- even likely- for the language to evolve in some way that makes 'they' more valid and 'he' less valid, we're not talking in hypothetical futures. We're talking in 'right now'.

But for right now, the word 'they' is merely a form of slang. The fact that 'they' is messy to use is what contributes to it staying a slang term, and also why I don't like it. Which seems to be a common sentiment since, as I have pointed out before, people are attempting to invent new gender neutral pronouns to avoid using it. A lot of the same people who avoid using 'he' because of their politically driven bias. You eliminate the half assed gender politics, and 'he' is a perfectly valid and functional word.

Still, the code on this particular example sentence has been broken. No singular pronoun- regardless of its gender orientation or complete lack thereof- is appropriate for it. You'd be better served to find another example. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples out there.

German to since we actually tend to use the female pronoun for unkowns quite often
I did not know this. Huh. I'm guessing people don't get angry over its supposed gender bias the way some Americans do over the word 'he'?

Last edited:
Not attacking the sentence. Correcting its grammar. It's using singular to describe a plural (the plural being Americans). Either switch the whole thing to plural, or switch to describing a singular. But as it's written in that sentence, of course the gender neutral 'he' doesn't work. Neither does the other gender neutral 'it'. Neither does the gendered 'he'. Or 'she'. Or pretty much anything other than 'they', which turns it plural.
No, it's using singular to describe a single person of indeterminate gender. It's not using it to refer to Americans, it's using it to refer to an individual American. You can turn it into a sentence about Americans but it's about a single member from that group, sure it's about someone unknown from that group but it's still not about multiple people from that group.
'They' is a slang term. 'He' is the term that's been officially used for centuries. While it's certainly possible- even likely- for the language to evolve in some way that makes 'they' more valid and 'he' less valid, we're not talking in hypothetical futures. We're talking in 'right now'.
And "They" was used for centuries before that so that argument is useless, language never cared about people making stuff official anyway, only what people actually do. You've also yet to provide anything to demonstrate that it's slang other than your own statement that it is. When I attempt to google it I find reams of stuff on how it's a valid and correct use for the word, sure it has issues but that doesn't change the fact people have been using it that way for centuries and that nearly everybody uses it that way now.

You also totally failed to address the point that "He" is not suitable as a gender neutral pronoun because it inherently has gender bias and avoiding any gender bias can be a requirement when using gender neutral terms, simple examples can be found and historical examples of it's gender bias causing issues due to being unclear on whether it's referring to males or anybody can be easily found.

Claiming that 'he' has an "inherent" gender bias is your thing. You prove it. It's hard to prove a negative, after all. I assert that it can totally be used without inherent gender bias, and you have to prove it can't. Not the other way around.

Simply the fact that he is used is all the proof I need until you prove otherwise. I've shown, specifically, why it doesn't work in that example you've given despite its use as a nongendered singular- that reason being that no singular at all would be appropriate. It's a plural statement requiring plural pronouns. Either find a new example where it doesn't work, or admit I'm right.

Everything you're saying now is just ignoring me and what I'm saying. I'm getting tired of your utter refusal to actually listen to me. Disagreeing? Sure, that's fine, but at least actually pay attention.

Last edited:
Claiming that 'he' has an "inherent" gender bias is your thing. You prove it. It's hard to prove a negative, after all. I assert that it can totally be used without inherent gender bias, and you have to prove it can't. Not the other way around.
The fact it's been used as a masculine pronoun for at least as long as English has been considered English? The fact it being used as a masculine pronoun has led to issues in policy due to gender based discrimination even in government? How even simple sentences such as "I'm marrying him" or "He paid his bills early that month" would get near everyone to assume they're talking about a male? What kind of evidence do you want? There's also stuff like this for actual studies but you'd likely consider those worthless as they're about whether the use of masculine pronouns such as "He" give a masculine bias in gender neutral usage as you seem to contend it is a masculine pronoun at all.

Also again, you keep claiming the singular they is slang and that's a point against it but failing to provide anything to actually show it's slang.

*sigh* You're still not listening.

The fact it being used as a masculine pronoun has led to issues in policy due to gender based discrimination even in government?
Dude. THAT is the fault of gender based discrimination. Don't blame the word, blame the people responsible for the discrimination. The whole "all men are created equal" thing should, by your logic, have included black men as well as whites from day one of the US Constitution. How long did it take to correct *that* particular oversight? The answer is far, far too long. Same deal here. The word is, at best, an excuse used as a justification. And you should feel ashamed of yourself for using an ugly fact of human history in a discussion like this one. You're treading in Godwin's Law territory here.

you seem to contend it is a masculine pronoun at all
I... don't think you meant to use the word "contend" here. Since my stance has been pretty much the opposite. And I have never claimed 'he' is not a masculine pronoun. It is. But only sometimes. In the same way 'fawn' only sometimes means a young deer.

I simply point out the fact that it has another function. It's also the gender neutral pronoun most widely known and accepted in English as a language. And there's no need to change this. Much to the apparent hate of certain political forces.

"I'm marrying him" or "He paid his bills early that month" would get near everyone to assume they're talking about a male?
Well. The former example is clearly spoken by someone who knows his gender. I hope. I mean... how often does someone get married without knowing the gender of his spouse? I'm not saying it's impossible, but if others simply assume he'd know his spouse's gender, then they (a plural here) would be perfectly justified in that assumption.

Therefor: of *course* you, rightfully, assume he's a man, based upon the fact that his presumably long term significant other just called him a 'he' instead of a 'she'. I could refer to the spouse as a he as well, and be within grammatical correctness, since I don't know either of their sexes. Did so in the prior paragraph, in fact...

As for the latter. Depends on whose talking about 'him' paying the bills. Does our unknown gender 'he' know the person paying the bills? If so, then yes, we have every reason to assume he's speaking about a man. If not, then we don't know about the gender of the bill payer, and he is a perfectly valid gender neutral word to use.

"He" is an unknown and/or undefined gender neutral. If you know his actual gender, you use that instead.

If what you're talking about has no automatic gender. Re: college professor you've never met and who has 'professor' listed as their name instead of Mister/Miss/etc... then you use 'he' as well. And can probably assume said professor is a little full of themselves.

In fact. That's an excellent example. "If you know his actual gender, you use that instead." I establish he's someone whose gender I don't know, and use the nongendered form of 'he' in the process. And there is no confusion. There you go.

you keep claiming the singular they is slang and that's a point against it
I keep saying it's slang because it is slang. Let's visit an online dictionary.

a type of language that consists of words and phrases that are regarded as very informal, are more common in speech than writing, and are typically restricted to a particular context or group of people.

Yeah. Singular 'they' seems to fall into that overview.

But you're making things up about my opinions again. You should really stop doing that.

I don't consider it being slang to be a point against it at all, and never claimed otherwise. If you were paying attention at all to what I'm saying, instead of just reading it to look for ways to attack me, you'd know that. Some of my favorite words started as slang. In fact, all words on Earth ever without exception started as slang. Or they're from conlangs that never become popular enough to even gain the status of 'slang'. There's nothing wrong with this at all.

The point against singular they is that it's sloppy, often confusing in grammar, making it numerically nonspecific opens up even more problems in the already messy blur between singular and plural in English... and it's already part of that whole they're/their/there mess. Plus it's the most common plural word in English, and has all those variants like 'them' which will bleed into singular if it gains support. All desire toward simplicity in language screams to avoid giving this word yet another function.

There's the overview of my problems with singular they. Its slang status is related only for the fact that it remains slang due to these listed issues. And I'm glad that it remains slang, again for those above reasons. But we've drifted into tangent territory. Discussing the merits and flaws of singular they is another conversation entirely. For here, it's enough to know that it's slang (which only means it's not widely accepted) and that I'm glad it's not widely accepted.

Last edited:
The fact it's been used as a masculine pronoun for at least as long as English has been considered English? The fact it being used as a masculine pronoun has led to issues in policy due to gender based discrimination even in government? How even simple sentences such as "I'm marrying him" or "He paid his bills early that month" would get near everyone to assume they're talking about a male? What kind of evidence do you want? There's also stuff like this for actual studies but you'd likely consider those worthless as they're about whether the use of masculine pronouns such as "He" give a masculine bias in gender neutral usage as you seem to contend it is a masculine pronoun at all.

Also again, you keep claiming the singular they is slang and that's a point against it but failing to provide anything to actually show it's slang.
You can't argue with TanaNari, Xilph. He does not accept logic, and cannot be reasoned with.
It is a waste of time.

Actually, logic and reason are almost the only things I do accept. It's emotional responses and political bullshit that I roll my eyes at.

Actually, logic and reason are almost the only things I do accept. It's emotional responses and political bullshit that I roll my eyes at.
Alright.

Assumption 1) The word "Neutral" means "To be without bias".

Assumption 2) The suffix "Less" defines an absence of the word it's attached to.

Assumption 3) The word "He" is used to identify a known person as male.

Disprove any of these.

Why would I? They're all true. But irrelevant. He does have a gendered meaning, there's no debating this.

It also has a nongendered meaning.

And it's on you to disprove that. Seeing as I've used it in example as a nongendered several times thus far.

Why would I? They're all true. But irrelevant. He does have a gendered meaning, there's no debating this.

It also has a nongendered meaning.

And it's on you to disprove that. Seeing as I've used it in example as a nongendered several times thus far.
I do not care, this is logic.

Assumption 4) The word "He" is not used to identify a known person as female.

Disprove, or accept.

Edit: Assumption 5) "Male" and "female" are genders.

Last edited:
You cannot use a nongendered word to identify someone as gendered. That's kinda the literal definition of being a nongendered word. Can't use the nongendered form of 'he' to identify a person as male, either. You're identifying that either don't know his gender, or you know this is a blanket statement that applies to anyone in a circumstance.

"If someone tries to enter this door, you stop him."- The identifier in this sentence is "anyone entering this door"- which may include men or women. And that's valid English as an unknown or irrelevant gender scenario.

'He' has a gendered homophone, sure, but that's a different (if similar) meaning. Homophone. It's a thing. Stop pretending it's not.

Apparently German does the same thing with a feminine pronoun that also runs double as a gender neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back