• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Have you ever had strong emotional reactions from reading fiction?

Melfician said:
Another book who got me a bit sad and pissed at times was this book starring owls as characters. I remember it being dark as hell at times, characters died from left to right, it also contained racism amongst owls. it ended with the main character being shot down by humans while defending his family, the death scene was rather graphic if I remember it right. But I can't remember it's name, anyone here that knows it?

Guardians of Ga'hoole?

Strong emotional reaction....

Discworld. Men at Arms. Cuddy and Detritus are just full of all kinds of feels. Night Watch's final scene is also unspeakably poignant, but the entire book toned down the humor and cranked up the darker elements of Anhk-Morpork.

I swear, that entire series can make my eyes moist and my throat tight just by remembering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bawled for like ten minutes once I finished the Wheel of Time. Less because of the story and more because... it was over you know? Big part of my life for most of my life, and now its done.

Had to set Salem's Lot down and back up for half an hour at one point too, was getting too wigged out. Middle of the day in class too.

In advance, to RobotNinja...

If you find that Solar!Taylor too depressing over her Limit Break, don't read that fanfic. Either for a while to recover or longer. But at least Worm in itself has ended, so all I can say on THAT end is just replace Worm with a different blend of Worms if need be...

... And speaking of emotional reactions...

Personally, on Wildbow's latest web serial Pact. All I can feel at worst is outright depression over how Blake's situation is like, to the point of waiting for when he'd sing the song that ends the world. And even so, there are STILL times in which I can't help but read on...

... Even when I still try to promise myself on "try to read it ONCE it's finished!" Under the vain hope that if SPOILER! Blake lives, or get's at LEAST A Bittersweet Ending, that I can at least endure the thorns throughout the entire journey...

=

Now, on a more possitive note...

I remembered nothing but shear AWESOME when I read 'Halloween World The Halloween that Never Ends'. Though if I read it again, it's SO riddled with Tropes it's like reading an illegible script. At the time I read it...

... It felt like one HELL of an Awesome Bus ride! Then again, it's outdated now, and if I where to write a similar premise... I'd be listening to Stage/Mission 1 BGM, from the Mega Drive/Genesis version of "Terminator 2: The Arcade Game"

Hmm... Yes quite often.

I'm massively sentimental and likely to cry at emotional gut punches and grin like a loon when things go well. I just happen to like both types of experiences equally.

Also, to this day the only character which has gotten me truly utterly and completely ANGRY happens to be Stanley from 'A Streetcar named Desire'... I am usually quite able to share in the triumphs of both Villain and hero, the fall of victims and the despair of the afflicted make me interested, maybe sorrowful for them... but that one guy in all of fiction just made me MAD...

Yes. Its why I only read sci-fi and fantasy. Literature is both boring and too intense.

I cannot remember the last time I had a strong emotional response to a piece of fiction. Hell, I can't remember the last time I had a strong emotional response, period.

Now that I'm thinking about it, from what I recall the last time I cried was over a decade ago.

I remember a moment like that...

Eien no Aselia (Aselia the Eternal).

Transported to another world. Not for somethign fun or shenanigans either. Fighting. Having the character be closer with those he fights it. And at the end, when something threatens the world you came to like and that there is only one way to get the power to defeat that threat...

Would you accept the price of becoming an Eternal? To be forgotten by all? That history will literally rewrite itself as if you never existed? That you will forever remains a stranger to everyone you meet and that even if you meet others, they will forget you as you move on to another world? Even those you cried for and those who cried for you?

Had to admit, first time I read that? It's a hell of a shock when you understand what it means.

Chrono crusade was the first thing that ever had me crying birch tears at the ending.

It might be cliche at this point, but the Deathly Hollows got to me pretty hard.

Do visual novels count? Because if so... Heaven's Feel. Just... just Heaven's Feel.

So, the newest chapter of Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya 3 has just restored my faith in humanity. (chapter 37)

Why? Cause this chapter involves Shinji/Assassin killing Sakura, and Shirou is about to open a can of whoopass on his fucking shit head. I am so fucking hyped by this.

(I didn't want to start a new thread just for this one scene.)

I spent a whole year half depressed because of Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus.
But I really enjoyed them!

L'Étranger (translated as The Outsider in my copy; Wikipedia lists it as The Stranger) triggered my first episode of depression, though I'd been heading in that direction for years. Not really suitable as a prescribed text for year 11s.

Saya no Uta gave me nightmares (well, a nightmare, that resulted in me screaming for about 10 minutes straight after waking up). Abe's Oddysee did too, but since I was 6 when I played it that doesn't really count (my cousin had zero clue about age-appropriate entertainment).

I was hit pretty hard by the endings of Inversions and Look to Windward.

More recently, The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi, Lost and Delirious, and the Touhou fanmovie Diamond in the Rough all made me tear up. But that's not a bad thing.

The thing that made me cry the most, and it still does, is Touhou Fanmade Touhou Osana Reimu and Touhou Reireimu, here's the entire Playlist. Just watch it. Don't look at other episodes picture, just click the video, and enjoy...

Another stories that gave me feels and/or pity toward the characters is, Koishi Komeiji's Heart-Throbbing Adventure part 6 & Part 19 (4/9), Sanae backstory & that battle, and Diamond in the Rough Episode 20c/Epilogue.

If your curious about KKHTA episodes, sorry, Youtube took most of the episodes down, currently someone is re-uploading English sub from the Spanish sub, the only episodes missing are Part 6 - 8 and Part 10 - 11.

Of course!

I still remember as a kid being utterly unable to handle the Smurfs frantically hoping it'd be an episode without Gargamel.
(then somewhat older similar impressions with "Once Upon a Time ... Life" "Alfred J Kwak" "The animals of Farthing Wood")

The last strong reactions I had to Ancillary Justice, really empathizing the "that's one pissed starship"

.. and the Sheperd's Crown . Man I love that old snapperdoodle.

Last edited:
Endless 8 made me cry too. In rage, but I cried.
I just fell asleep. Literally, I fell asleep about halfway through #5. Seriously, you could cut out #3 through #7 and the story would literally not lose anything.

And the ending was just such an anticlimax, it made the whole thing into a joke.

Yup. Song of Saya is pretty great as far as horror stories go. It's also very nauseating.

I've had 2 Crowning moments of Awesome in fiction so far, one of them being when Harry Dresden fights his way through red court vampires with Susan. The other was in a book called Achaja, but since it's a polish book nobody here will know it, so it doesn't really matter.

Getting erections from hot prose isn't very difficult. I mean we have a NSFW section here and everything. On the other hand there's also the NTR and Rape and that almost never fails to evoke bad feels in me.

Speaking of bad feels I own a book that's not fiction, in fact it's an autobiography that's in essence a huge bad trip from the beginning to the end.

It starts with a girl whose parents were drug addicts. Then she gets adopted by a christian nutcase. The girl is starved and has to steal money for food to stay alive. For every little bad thing she's punished, and the description of torture is always very elaborate. Sometimes she's forced to choke on a chair leg, sometimes her feat are beaten with a wooden stick in a way that's incredibly painful, but leaves no trace, sometimes she's forced to eat soap, or other detergents (because of this book I don't find the threat of washing someone's tongue with soap funny at all, but rather horrifying).

At some point a dog enters the household and when he shits in the house the girl is forced to eat it. There was also a thing where to avoid suspiction because the girl is so thin she's forced to eat lard. The diet isn't changed from a piece of bread every now and then but instead, lard. I know from experience that eating a little bit too much fat is unpleasant, so eating lard to put on weight had to be horrible.

Of course the girl gets out of that abusive environment at some point, otherwise there would be no book, but guess what? Just as she gets out she gets roofied and raped. Then she meets a guy that's a complete scumbag who gets her pregnant. Really the only nice thing that happens in the book is that the girl finally manages to put the christian nutcase on trial.

The fact that this was an autobiography and not a piece of fiction had to be the biggest downer for me. Hey, at least if I want to write a torture scene or child abuse at some point in the future I've got realistic reference materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back