1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm going to buy myself a 3DS

Discussion in 'General' started by Alexander, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

Exactly what it says on the title. After a long time of procrastination I finally decided to buy a Nintendo DS, and since it's out I'm going to buy the 3DS. The question is: what game should I buy first?

If you have suggestions for me kindly write them here. The game can even be from the old DS, it supports them too anyway.

2. Latewave

Latewave No one remembers who I am anymore.

Link between Worlds, Gunvolt, Kirby, Pokemonz.

3. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Etrian Odyssey (Any of them, I prefered IV but Untold isn't a bad starting point. Much like FF there's no need to play earlier games.)
    The game's a dungeon crawler with a custom built party of adventurers starting as a bunch of random thugs and building themselves into a legend as they explore an uncharted labyrinth. Untold has a more normal RPG mode with pregenned characters but a lot of the game's fun for me lay in being able to craft my own story around the characters.

The gameplay itself is fun as well, particularly the FOEs

Shin Megami Tensei IV
    SMT on the DS, what more need be said?

Are the two that come to mind right away.

4. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

If you never played The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64 then the 3DS rerelease should be your first purchase. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is also worth a look. Fire Emblem Awakening is probably the best turn-based strategy game on any of the current systems. I've heard good things about Kid Icarus: Uprising, but never had a chance to try it. Pokemon X/Y is pretty good, but whatever you do don't use the EXP Share item, it makes the game way too easy.

5. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

It also depends on what you like or no.

Kid Icarus Uprising is a great game. I would recommend it for sure.
    If you like Fire Emblem, there's Fire Emblem Awakening.
    Legend of Zelda A Link Between World is also good. Ocarina of Tiem 3DS too. It also has the Master Quest version too (as in, upgraded temples and double damage).
    Super Mario 3D Land is great.
    Pokemon X/Y may be recommended, but I didn't buy it myself.

And those are at the top of my head. What genre do you like anyway?

6. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Disgaea DS, Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Harvest Moon (Any or all of them), Dragon Quest (Any of all of them), Pokemon (Any or all of them), Scribblenauts, and Final Fantasy 4.

7. Alexander

Old school RPG. My hand to eye coordination isn't that great, so I appreciate games where I have more than one second to decide my next move.

8. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

I see, I see... Well, there's Bravely Default, but I need to warn you that the middle game gets grindy-like.

A shame about that problem. Kid Icarus has Awesome character banter, but since it's an action game...

9. Alexander

How much grim are we talking about?

I don't have a problem with action games. I own Dynasty Warriors after all. But I have a problem with elaborate combos, so I tend to avoid games where, to receive a great rank, you need to execute complicate buttons combination.

10. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

I don't have a DS, myself, but I've always wanted to play one of those zany giant robo crossover games. 2nd Super Robot Wars Z (if you like Gurren Lagan, Code Geass and Mazinger, among many others), or Super Robot Wars L and/or UX (if you like Evangelion and a bunch of other shows I've never heard of).

11. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Grind, you mean? Well, without spoiling... I would say it's because you need to do some repetitively that doesn't change much... Twice. I set up my party for auto-actions to powerlevel and brute-force my ways in boss fights for that part, but not everyone has the patience for it. Endgame cares more about how you set up your skills in the party than your level in the end.

And Bravely Default has great music if you care about that.

And if that's the case, then my previous recommendation then still works. I say go watch a level of Uprising on Youtube and see if it's to your liking.

12. Alexander

My bad, I read "grim" instead of "grind".

Well, those are a lot of interesting titles. Thanks guys. I'll give a look on youtube and see what catch my fancy.

13. Hymn of Ragnarok

Hymn of Ragnarok Well worn.

Shame about the reflexes bit, because the Castlevania games Aria and Dawn of Sorrow are some of my favorite games, although probably hard to find these days and only Dawn of Sorrow is on the DS. Aria is GBA.

Gameplay's not what I'd consider complicated (like DMC or Bayonetta) so you may be fine though. Mostly. Dawn, unfortunately, requires you to use the little pen to trace out patterns to seal away bosses. That may be a problem late game.

Although if you've never heard of either, do not go researching Dawn of Sorrow's plot. Or Aria to be honest. Dawn is pretty casual about Aria's main plot twist, both have been out for a while, so it's pretty easy to stumble across.

I know that's a lot of disclaimers for a rec, but they're pretty much my favorite games in the Castlevania series.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  14. Alexander

Watched trailers on YouTube. Impressions:

Etrian Odyssey: looks good, even if First Person's POV isn't at the top of my list. I always had a problem with high customization however.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: the only problem is that I heard Atlus made some "questionable" choices of re-design.
    Christ Louis, I don't care if you assume the form of a Gal girl in your free time, but your Demon Lord form. Oh God. And let's not talk about the Four Archangels!!!
    Fire Emblem Awakening: nice that when characters fight the field become 3-dimensional ;D
    Bravely Default: I somehow find it nostalgic...must be the graphic.
    Kid Icarus Uprising: uhm, no. Not my thing.
    Aria of Sorrow: I played it. Even beat it. Good memories. Are those end-game patters very complicated?

So many choices...

15. Alexander

Alright, I decided to prove Etrian Odyssey first. But which one? EO 4 or EO Untold?

16. helnae

helnae How delicious~

It's a shame you don't like action-ey games, because I'd recommend Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and probably the upcoming 3DS version of Monster Hunter 4. They're pretty fun and can give you a lot of playtime. I've got about 120+ hours played in MH3U, and I'm just a little more than halfway through the high-rank missions.

17. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Etrian Odyssey... eeeeh, never was interested in it. Can't help you there.

18. Hymn of Ragnarok

Hymn of Ragnarok Well worn.

Dawn of Sorrow? Been a while since I played and I'm honestly not sure how to quantify it.

For what it's worth, you can practice all the patterns before boss battles so it's not randomized or anything. It gave me some trouble and I generally think I'm pretty decent at this kind of stuff, good reflexes. Honestly, the worst of it is memorizing the pattern, getting that pen out of the DS, and then tracing it right.

19. Legend of Ruina

Legend of Ruina Moderator

Just double checking but the 3Ds can run games originally intended for the DS? Because if so I highly reccomend The World Ends With You, a quite fun game by Square Enix that is quite fun. The controls get a bit odd at times and you have to pay attention to and interact with both screens at once sometimes but it is an utterly amazing game with a good if somewhat esoteric story and a lovely soundtrack. Also it's old enough you can pick it up for 20-30$.

20. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

Borrowed my friend's copy of Link Between Worlds, and it's fantastic.

The graphics are surprisingly good, and the gameplay is fluid and great.

21. Alexander

Upon further considerations (and a look on the prices) I decided to switch to Fire Emblem Awakening, with the reasoning that "classic are classic because they work" 8)

22. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Any opinion on others games you checked out, by the way?

23. Alexander

There are look great, but personally I am a sucker for games with great plots. And with numerous safe-points but that's beside the point.

24. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Well... Fire Emblem Awakening doesn't exactly have the greatest of plots, but it's still alright.

Cu Roi likes this.