• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Insecurities & Hurdles

Weisser Ritter

Smug anime swordsman
A topic about your insecurities and hurdles in life and proposing how you could be more confident or do better.

Let's make a game out of this. You post an insecurity and/or hurdle about yourself and the next person who wants to post has to give some (constructive) advice to the person above. Then they get to post one about themselves.

EDIT: An addendum, if you feel like it you can also quote a previous post besides the one above just in case you really feel like it's necessary to comment on it. I'm not restricting anyone in that aspect.

Normies without life issues get out reeeeeee, etc.

An example:
Poster 1 said:
I'm the target of many jokes in bad taste, but I can't act offended about it because it'll only make things worse, and I see no way to stop them.
Poster 2 said:
Try empathizing with those people, befriending them, and then tell them about your worries in private, where they don't feel pressured to agree with their peers or would think you're pitting them against your other friends. Get them to see your point of view in their time, and after that trust is built they will likely defend you.

If you don't think that's possible, then just don't see them. If you can't not see them, then ignore them.

Seems pretty simple, right? No? Well, no worries, just try it out.

I'll start:

I find it pretty hard to control myself in a conversation. I'm kind of like Greg from Worm in that I babble and say stupid shit without thinking it through, and very often those comments are out of line and make me look bad.

Stupid-stupid, use profanity in a professional environment stupid, superstitious stupid, political stupid, or socially-awkward stupid?

I find it pretty hard to control myself in a conversation. I'm kind of like Greg from Worm in that I babble and say stupid shit without thinking it through, and very often those comments are out of line and make me look bad.

Care less what other people think. That or if you say something that sounds weird play it off as a joke.

Care less what other people think. That or if you say something that sounds weird play it off as a joke.

I don't think this addresses the heart of the issue though. I think some introspection is in order. For instance, you should ask yourself "Where is this coming from?" and "Why do I think/believe this?"

Also, I've never really read Worm but if this "social awkwardness and profanity" manifests as outbursts at specific people
than I think communication would be key. Just be upfront about any disagreement before it can morp from awkward one liners to a full on fight.

I'm not normal, but having been depressed for over 20 years, I don't imagine there's anything anybody here could tell me that I haven't already heard.

A topic about your insecurities and hurdles in life and proposing how you could be more confident or do better.

Sounds like what you need is to think more and react less. To that end, look up "mindfulness". Practicing mindfulness can develop the skill of detaching from one's stream of consciousness and observing it calmly, without getting overcome by the urge to act on or react to any particular thought or feeling.

I am an Aspie that has a father that was part of the National Guard, a mom that was self-employed then school aide then teacher, and an annoying brother who -during his teen years- couldn't decide on what part of the political spectrum he was on... on top of having a creepy psychologist (who once entered our house without my parents at home, my brother and I brought out the baseball bats when that happened), a school district that was at best indifferent towards someone like me, and an intense dislike for politics in general.

My insecurities and hurdles are legion...

I... have a particularly nasty quirk that I have kept private for over a decade: Whenever I get stressed, I become upset, unhinged, and/or angry. The worse the stress, the worse I get upset, unhinged, and/or angry... then there is the times I get a 'stress induced breakdown', where it can look like I'm suicidal to a trained child psychiatrist even though he knew that it wasn't in my nature. I've spent a few weeks/months in a mental hospital after my parents messy divorce because of one such breakdown.

I also don't do angry well, as my little brother and my dad can attest as they've seen me when I'm genuinely angry (and they'll tell you, it's fucking scary).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back