• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Little Light of Mine

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

A young raven-haired teen lies sleeping on a hospital bed, the fluorescent lights making her...
Chapter 1

My_Game_Account

Getting sticky.
A young raven-haired teen lies sleeping on a hospital bed, the fluorescent lights making her pallor all the more deathly. An aurora of light surrounds her, constantly shifting between the colors of the rainbow.

A beautiful, nine-sided crystal ring appears on her finger. One face glows suddenly with a bright red glyph, drawing in the red wisps of light that were dancing within the girl's aura. A moment later, the next face burns with an orange symbol, and the third face glows yellow. Soon the first seven faces have bright symbols inscribed upon them, each having absorbed a particular part of the aura. The aurora fades as the seven faces draw out the colors, but just before it vanishes, it flares with a brilliant white, and the eighth face of the ring begins to shine with the same white. The ninth glyph remains inactive, dead.

The flash of light startles the man sleeping in the chair next to the girl. Seeing that his daughter is no longer wreathed in the light, he rushes out of the room to the nurse's station.

"Nurse, something changed in my daughter's room. She stopped glowing."

The nurse drops the clipboard she was looking over and begins to stride purposefully toward the room. "Mr. Hebert, please wait outside the door. I need to make sure this isn't dangerous to her or anyone else."

Mr. Hebert watches nervously as the nurse checks all of his daughter's vitals. She completes her task in short order and gestures for him to join her at his daughter's side.

"Mr. Hebert, all of Taylor's vitals show significant improvement. She seems to be doing better--in better health than most anyone I've ever seen, in fact."

"Does that mean she'll wake up soon?"

"I'm afraid I can't say. If I hadn't seen the lights before, I would say she's only sleeping. But if I had to say, I think this is a good sign. When Doctor Cassandra comes through for midnight rounds, I'll tell her about the changes. In the meantime, you should get some rest too. I'll call you if there's any change."

Mr. Hebert nods, but doesn't leave his daughter's side.

---
January 13, 2011, Thursday.
---

The first thing I notice on waking is how solid my body feels. The second thing is the hospital smell. The hospital? Why am I here? I feel better than I have in a long time. Looking to my left, I see my father sleeping in a chair and poke him awake.

Suddenly, I am engulfed in a hug. It's doubly strange: I know how my dad hugs--they are as rare as they are powerful--but this one doesn't even rock me.

"You're okay, you're okay!" He pulls back from the hug and looks me over. "Are you okay?"

"I think so. What happened to me? Was the bus in an accident?"

"You were attacked at school! Is the bus the last thing you remember? Wait, I think the doctor should be here asking that and checking on you. Let me hit the call button. Panacea told me this was some sort of cape effect, either from a cape who helped you or...or from you triggering."

My stomach drops. I know from reading online that becoming a cape rarely involves a happy experience... I search my memory, but everything after the bus is a blank. Meanwhile, Dad's still talking.

"Armsmaster stopped by yesterday. He wants to meet you and talk to you about what happened. The police want an interview as well. They searched the house, so your room might be a bit of a mess."

A nurse enters the room, comes to my bedside, and checks all the monitors.

"Good morning, miss Hebert; it's nice to see you awake. My name is Sable. How are you feeling? Any aches or dizziness?"

I take a moment to consider my body before responding. It's as if my whole being were denser, more solid than before in a hard to describe way. "Everything seems to be working, but my body feels a size too big and I'm missing some time. My dad said I was attacked at school but the last thing I remember is being on the bus. Am I going to be okay?"

"Don't worry; you're going to be fine. I'll note this down and tell the doctor. Do you have anything else to tell me?"

"I think that's everything." My stomach growls loudly in disagreement.

The nurse smiles at that. "I'll tell the doc to check in on you and then we'll find you some food." With that, she leaves the room.

This gives the chance for an awkward silence to descend. For the first time I notice I have a ring on. Not knowing what else to do, I start to fiddle with it. "What are you?" I ask myself. I nearly jump out of the bed when it responds.

"Object classification: Power ring, designation B5GS. Current charges: Red 23%, Orange 23%, Yellow 30%, Green 23%, Blue 23%, Indigo 24%, Violet 23%, White 0%, Black 0%. Current purpose: Assist in any task put forth by Lantern Taylor Hebert. Ability: Manipulation of the GLOW."

"Lantern, power ring, glow? What the hell?"

"Lantern is the designation given to anyone who wields a power ring. GLOW is the basis of the emotional electromagnetic spectrum, a fundamental aspect of the universe Each of the nine lights has abilities unique to themselves."

Dad interrupts: "I only saw seven lights when she was brought in. What happened to the other two?"

"The White and Black light can not be shared. They must be created independently by the ring user. The White light is produced via mastery of the seven basic lights. The Black light is charged by killing Sapient beings."

"I won't kill to charge you! You can forget that right now." The words flow from me before I fully think of them.

"Understood. The ring is yours to use as you see fit."

"I don't know why I was expecting an argument. Are you an AI?"

"No, I am a Crystalline General Intelligence"

"Wha-" I am cut off by the doctor knocking on the door and entering the room.

"Alright, Taylor, I'm Doctor Martin. Sorry to interrupt, but it looks like everything is in order. Your missing time is probably from the head wound you came in with, which seems to have been completely healed, perhaps as a side effect of your trigger event. Be careful, especially because you don't know if this is a one-time thing or if you will always heal so rapidly. Your balance may also be off, because of your increase in muscle mass. When Panacea used her power to check, you had no remaining injuries, so now that the lights have gone we believe you to be healthy. Do you have any concerns?"

"No, Doctor Martin. Thank you, and please tell Panacea thanks for looking at me, since I doubt I'll get to meet her."

"I will tell her. Now, we're going to do a memory test to make sure everything checks out, then you will be free to go."

/\\/

The doctor was right: I almost fall the first time I go up the stairs, though not from lack of balance. My legs are just more powerful than before, way more. It's a really weird sensation, every movement getting more momentum than what I'm used to. I also slammed the door to my room when I intended to just push it closed. I open it back up and yell sorry down at dad.

Dad was right too: my room is a mess. The clothes hamper had the clothes dumped out, the desk with my computer had the drawers pulled open. My bookshelf had been emptied, with all my books stacked on the floor. I see the journal I kept is missing. Good, maybe the police will use it. With a small huff, I set to cleaning up. As I climb on a chair to clean the top of the bookcase, the arm gives out, sending me tumbling down. On instinct, I say ow, before realizing the fall didn't hurt anything but my pride. Hope dad didn't hear that.

The cleaning doesn't stop at my room. It feels like I'm taking in the house with new eyes, and I don't like it. Dust everywhere, cobwebs, and a carpet that needs to be vacuumed. Mom would have been disappointed in us. Cleaning was a family thing when she was alive. Before, it would've really been a chore, but now, it seems like my body won't tire, or at least not from cleaning the house.

It's the little things. Even after rubbing clean every available surface in my room, the guest room, and a good part of the bathroom, none of my muscles ache. On the contrary, I feel warmed up and ready to do more. I can't help a smile getting to my lips as I go down the stairs - carefully - to continue with the living room.

My god, how did I not see the state of decay our house is in? It's like I had blinders on for the longest time.

"Taylor, you should be resting. Not doing housework," my father admonishes after he gets off of the phone.

"I feel fine. Grab those soda cans off the living room table. I'm going to clean in there next."

He gets a faraway look in his eyes for a moment before shaking his head. "Alright, but if you feel tired, promise you'll stop."

---
January 15, 2011, Saturday.
---

"Armsmaster is coming to visit me today!"

I'm almost bouncing while saying this. My dad gives me a strange look, his eyes following me as I pace around the living room while stopping from time to time to look through the window. Still nothing but snow and an empty driveway. He lets out a small laugh at my nervousness.

"I know, Taylor. I made the appointment and this is the third time you've reminded me."

"No, dad, you don't understand. My favorite hero is coming to see if I am okay! I've dreamt of this!"

My dad smiles. Soon, we hear the distinctive low hum of Armsmaster's motorcycle. Dad goes out to meet the hero and I watch from the living room window for a moment, until they disappear around the side of the house. We really should get that rotten front step fixed. He leads Armsmaster around to the back door into the kitchen.

As I enter the kitchen and get my first proper look at Armsmaster, I can't help but think he has a commanding presence. He stands around six feet tall, and with his perfectly trimmed beard and dark blue and silver power armor, he cuts the figure I would expect from a leader. Then he smiles at me and all of that melts away.

"Miss Hebert, it is nice to meet you. How are you?"

I feel my cheeks go incandescent as I manage to mumble the word, "Fine."

Seeing that I am having trouble speaking, my dad intervenes. "Why don't we all sit down?"

The leader of the Protectorate takes a look at our wooden kitchen chairs before slightly shaking his head. Doubting our sitting option could handle his armor?

"Thank you, Mr. Hebert, however, I will stand. Now, do the two of you understand why you are receiving a visit from the Protectorate today?"

"Because Taylor triggered with powers?" my father ventures.

"Not just that, I would still be here even if she had not triggered. In cases like this, the Protectorate wants to ensure the safety of the individual that was harmed. Taylor, if you do not feel satisfied with the job the police are doing, or believe that you are still in danger, I am here to help."

I'm sure the words are rehearsed and said every time he visits a family but it's still good to hear and he makes it sound genuine.

"I am okay with the job they are doing. Most of the bullies were arrested so I feel safer. Dad told me it was public that I got powers. Do we have to worry about gangs attacking the house?"

"No, Miss Hebert. Although capes have been attacked before with no provocation once outed, it is rare. The public tends to overstate how often parahumans are strong-armed into groups as well. Have you made enemies of gang members?"

As much as the other students participated in the bullying, no gang was ever involved as far as I know.

"I haven't. I am just a little paranoid because this is all new."

Armsmaster purses his lips for a second. "Although understandable, try not to get carried away with it. Now for the second reason, I am here, do you want to be a hero?"

"Yes", I nearly shout.

My reaction seems to startle Armsmaster.

"Why so vehemently?"

I breathed, calming myself a bit. The answer felt obvious, but I didn't want to sound like a kid. What I had gone through had changed me and, more than anything, more than a sturdier body and a talking ring, my mind was set. I needed a Hero for so long; now, I have the chance to be one.

"Because I want to be able to help people that fall through the cracks or get ignored by the system that should be helping them."

A slight smile appears underneath his visor and he nods at my words.

"In that case, may I pitch the Wards program?"

"Yes," my father says. His face is slightly ashen. I simply nod.

"The main mission of the Wards program is to give young Parahumans a safe place to train in the use of their powers along with the experts to guide them. You also get access to training programs for Hand to Hand Combat, Emergency Medical Technician, and Fire Fighting. There are basic proficiency requirements for those required courses. You can even gain college credits early through courses offered by the program.

"It seems you may be more interested in the awareness campaigns Wards attend at schools or the charity drives. We have many events that would allow you to meet those who need help and those in charge of helping them. Also, the public relations department has a budget set aside for each Ward in case that Ward has an issue they want to pursue.

"Now, how much do you know about your powers? We have facilities on PHQ for power testing and training. They are open to any parahuman."

I take a second to think about it. The ring mentioned a light-based power and I am starting to get vague impressions of what I might be able to do. My body was stronger and felt different, but that could just be me being fit for the first time in my life.

"Not much, between shopping for clothes and going to the police station yesterday I haven't messed with my powers. I feel like I could do something but I don't know what. I was also afraid of damaging the house."

"Good, you have more sense than many. The Wards recruitment bonus tends to be used on repairing property damage."

"What about school? I have been studying, trying to get out of Winslow. I wanted to transfer to Arcadia."

I can't keep the hope out of my voice while saying this: Arcadia has been my way out for so long, but this time it was within arm's reach.

"If you become a Ward, you would attend Arcadia. I will certainly put my weight behind transferring you, even if you do not join."

"Armsmaster, what is the parent's role in all this?" my father asks.

"The parent gets to decide how she interacts with the program. For example, every month you determine if she can go on patrol, how long she can stay on base, and help pick her advanced classes. Some things are mandatory for young parahumans though, such as a physical and mental health check, along with therapy sessions.

"This is nearly all the time I have allotted for today's meeting. Remember you don't have to agree to anything to use the facilities for training. It is meant to be a safe environment. Here is my card. The number on the front goes directly to my secretary's desk. Just tell him your name and you will be put through to me or he will assist you. The number on the back is the non-emergency number for the Protectorate. I hope to work with you in the future."

I take the laminated card, a small smile finding its way on my face. It's a simple design, the hero's name and number in bold steel-blue letters.

Dad returns from walking Armsmaster out, a lost look on his features. "Well, Taylor, what do you want to do?"

"The training sounds good and I want to help people. It's just... I am still on the fence about joining. I feel like I should focus on school. My grades need to be back up above the C average and working with more teenagers isn't very appealing. What if one of them is another Emma?"

"Then you report them to Armsmaster and tell me this time, instead of letting me find out from the police! Between us, we could nip any bad behavior in the bud. I am glad you want to focus on school and I will gladly let you focus on school, but if you plan to help people, I want you in the Wards program. It's safer than going out alone."

Thinking over the last two days and how suddenly everything has improved, I guess one more chance at socializing with people my age wouldn't be so bad but I'm still unsure. "Can I have tomorrow to think it over?"

---
January 16, 2011, Sunday.
---

Apparently, the ring can put me to sleep on command and wake me up in the lightest sleep cycle. In other words, I am now a morning person. Waking up at five a.m. gives me plenty of time to eat a breakfast of fried eggs and toast. At eight I leave a note on the kitchen table for dad explaining I am going to the library and expect to be back around eleven.

The library is the largest in the state. It seems rather out of place on the old main street: a pretty four-story building with a tiny diner butted up against one side and an antique shop on the other. I sigh in relief as I pass through the door. The glare from the snow was hurting my eyes.

The bored-looking receptionist never glances up from her book as I walk past her to the computers. Fortunately, very few people are here so snagging a seat is easy. The plan for today is to find out more about the Wards. I suppose treating it similar to a job interview would help me get a feel for the organization. Who leads the branch I will be joining? What skills and experience are appreciated when you join? What will I be doing other than patrolling? And so on…

I open the text editor and web browser then begin to take notes. It is easy to find some answers; for example, Aegis is the leader of the local Wards. It's much harder to find out what skills might be valued. Time seems to fly by as I engross myself in work. At ten-fifteen I start to print out my notes before heading to the bus stop.

As I unlock the door and walk in, I can smell fresh lemon and ginger in the air. I can also hear dad in the kitchen cooking. "Dad, I'm home!' It's been a long time since he last made us a meal.

"Wash your hands, then come eat."

After our over-seasoned lunch, while I'm still going over my notes, we hear a loud thump outside. After a few moments, there is a knock on the front door. Dad goes to answer it.

"Sorry about your step. I fell through it."

I recognize the voice immediately and her presence makes my fist clench. Can't I even escape at home?

"Are you okay? Who are you?"

"My name is Madison, and I am fine, Mr. Hebert. Is Taylor home? I really need to talk to her."

"No, I don't believe she is." He says, a hint of menace in his voice.

"Can I leave a message then?"

I walk from the kitchen to the living room door in order to tap dad on his shoulder.

"It's okay, I'll talk to her. What do you want, Madison? Let's get whatever cutesy new trick this is over with."

"I came to apologize," she mumbles.

That brings my thoughts to a standstill. The police officer told me Madison gave me CPR after Sophia attacked me but I never thought she would apologize. It seemed more like a way to keep from getting attempted murder charges.

"You can save it. I'm not interested. Was that all?"

The small girl seems to shrink in on herself. "No, I wanted to see if you were okay and I was going to tell you what is going to happen to me."

I set my jaw before answering. I really don't want to do this right now.
"Madison, thank you for giving me CPR, but can you think of a reason I would want to see you?"

A little bit of hope shows in Madison's blue eyes. "Yes, I'm a cape now."

"You shouldn't be telling me that. Do your parents know? Tell them. Just... go home!" I slam the door, then slowly breathe out, almost trembling.

I turn to my dad with tears in my eyes. He gives me an awkward yet welcome side hug as we head to the living room couch.

"I know it's silly but I always hoped Emma would apologize. I hardly cared about Madison or Sophia, they were never my friends..."

I trail off. Thinking of my former best friend was still hard. Even after almost a year of bullying, even after the attack, the years we spent together won't simply disappear. I push away the sadness, targeting my attention on the future.

"What if she plans to join the Wards? Maybe that would be a good thing. We could keep an eye on her and make sure she straightens up."

"So you decided on joining?"

My joining the program seems important to him and I know it is to me. I stare right into his eyes, mine still teary, but I muster as much resolve as I can into my voice.

"Yeah, I want to be where I can do the most good, and I found out they'll hire tutors for me since I've fallen behind in class. With the money on top of that, it's too good to pass up."

He nods slowly, a faint frown on his thin lips.

"In that case, I'll call Armsmaster and make an appointment for joining. I think I will even tell him about the newest little parahuman that I just met."

Thank you to HeirToGallifrey of reddit and Juff of the Cauldron discord. I have two more chapters complete. I was wondering if I should post them now or wait a day? Also, could I get someone to help me bounce ideas for chapter four? I have a very rough draft of it but feel stuck.

Chapter 2
January 17, 2011, Monday.
---
Paperwork, paperwork, and more paperwork. This is not how I expected to start my day. The full physical wasn't as annoying as this.

"Sergeant Davidson, am I almost done?"

"Yes, Lantern, that was the last set of forms. The rest of this is for your guardian. Are you ready to begin powers testing?" He gathers the forms and leads me out of the conference room.

"Yes, I can't wait. I still barely believe that I have powers." I spot Armsmaster waiting for us outside a room labeled testing room one, along with the doctor that performed my physical.

"Lantern, glad to have you with us," the doctor says. "First up today, we will be testing if you have enhanced reflexes or endurance, as well as determining your base physical fitness." She smiles reassuringly. "Come in; each test is straightforward. There are two reflex tests. First is a sound test. Second is a lightbox test. Please have a seat."

"So I just press the button when I hear the tone?"

"Correct, we will be doing the test six times so that we can get a proper baseline. Prepare… Begin."

\//\

"I'm sorry for trying to bite you, Armsmaster."

"You did warn me that the red light was rage. It is best to have these things known now, rather than finding out when it could put someone in real danger. I am glad you were able to come back to your senses without being restrained. What happened?"

"I don't know… One second I was fine, then the next I was angry, angrier than I've ever been. Like I was letting out everything I've ever been mad about all at once. I... I don't like Red very much."

"That is understandable, how are you feeling now? Are there any lingering effects?"

"No… Well, I am a little shaky but I think it's from adrenaline. I want to continue." It's hard to keep my voice level while saying this.

Armsmaster looks at the doctor who nods in approval. "What was the next set?"

"Orange and Avarice, but I want a minute to prepare for this.

"Take your time, we have most of the day."

"B5, please activate Avarice." The top half of my bodysuit changes from silver to a glowing Orange. This time I'm prepared for the wash of emotion, mostly.

The Orange light is… dry, for lack of a better term. Like a vault that hasn't seen anything new in ages, and I'm the newest acquisition. The light suffuses me, latching onto my desire to impress Armsmaster. It becomes a physical need: a fundamental, driving force. I begin dumping that need into the ring, doubling and redoubling the power output. I'll show him just what I can do.

The orange aura burns brighter and brighter, forcing the doctor and technicians to look away. When the outside of Armsmaster's helmet polarizes, the need to impress him starts to fade. I switch back to the neutral costume quickly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to blind you. I wanted to show off a little, but that was too much."

"If all that energy can be directed upwards it will make a wonderful homing beacon. Good job."

Blushing at the praise and unsure if Armsmaster is being sarcastic, I cast about for something to distract from it. "Yellow and fear are next."

"On Doctor Sarah's advice, you may skip testing this one, at your discretion."

"It's okay, this is the last negative emotion. The others should be more fun and I'll have to deal with fear eventually. Besides, what's the worst that could happen?"

A cold chill climbs my spine as I ask B5 to activate the Yellow light. I become aware of fear. It's a palpable thing, drenching the room. Why is there so much? It's overwhelming, and I feel like there's nothing I could do to lessen it. Visions leap unbidden to my mind: the light eating away at bonds of trust, turning friends and family against one another. It's so close: all I would have to do is reach out and make it a reality.

My stomach turns and I force the light away, doubling over. Armsmaster is suddenly at my side, calling over the doctor, and I'm dimly aware that I'm rambling. "It's too much... there's so much fear and it's trying to drink it in but it's not enough."

He cuts me off, putting one hand on my shoulder and the other on my back. "Breathe, Lantern. You are safe. Just breathe." The mantra grounds me and I slowly regain my breath. As I calm down, Armsmaster takes a knee beside me. "We are taking a break. In the meanwhile, the doctor will look you over."

I force a weak smile. "I'll be okay. I think the ring was trying to recharge itself with the ambient fear. I wasn't expecting so much."

"Lantern, may I ask the ring a question?"

"Go ahead."

"B5, what are the ways you can be recharged?"

"This ring can be recharged by several methods. For the seven basic lights: First, a charge station can be built. Second, ambient emotion may be drawn in from the atmosphere. Third, a person may be drained of the required emotion.

"For the two advanced lights: To charge the White Light, all lights of the basic spectrum must be mastered. The Black Light is charged by killing sapient beings. "

As the ring finishes, the doctor cuts in. "Your pulse is slightly elevated, but your temperature is still normal. Pupils are dilated. Looks like you just had an acute stress response."

"Thanks, doctor. I'm starting to feel better. Armsmaster, I already told B5 I won't kill to charge the Black Light. I'm going to take draining people off the table as well since that sounds like it might hurt people badly."

"Don't be so quick to dismiss draining. It may be situationally useful. For example, if you are dealing with an attacking villain, you might drain some of the rage from them so they are no longer motivated to attack," he says.

"Oh, I hadn't considered being able to stop. B5, would I be able to stop draining?"

"Yes."

"Well, I guess I wouldn't feel so bad about using that. I would still rather make a charge station. How do I do that?" A blueprint appears above the back of my hand. Armsmaster steps behind me to look at it.

"Well, that is deceptively simple, if expensive. Twenty pounds of clear quartz, seven large diamonds, and nanometer precision. The machine shop can probably help you, but if they don't have the tools then come see me in my lab; I should be able to fabricate the necessary equipment. Is this the only blueprint you have?"

In lieu of answering B5 displays several more blueprints fanned out behind the first. A gun, two types of robots, and a spear are the first few. The very last is a spaceship.

"It looks like most of the components can be manufactured normally, but you need to make the power sources. That should make your tinkering budget stretch just a little." He grimaces. "That will be offset by how much your power sources cost."

"Am I really going to have a budget large enough to make this stuff?"

"Yes, although you may have to space out some purchases over months."

"Awesome! Can you recommend what I should build after the charging station? I was thinking of either the translator or the spear."

"I would recommend building the translator as it appears so simple and one of the rings. Both are relatively cheap and would net you some income from the PRT if they could be used by others. I would even buy a translator. The money would go back into your tinkering budget."

One of the test overseers interrupts. "Are you ready to resume testing?"

"Yeah, all the rest of them are positive emotions so it should be easier. Willpower is next." I try to activate it without asking B5 but I just can't feel it well enough to. "B5, Will, please." My costume changes to green and I feel my spine straighten. I almost want to stand in parade rest.

"This is much better than the others have been so far, just for the lack of pull on my emotions." I try to pool Will above my palm. It's hard, like trying to run up a steep hill, but I manage. The light fades as soon as I stop focusing on it. Now that I have a bit of a feel for the light I make a rope out of it. I also focus on putting more Will into it. It takes three minutes to fade once I leave it alone. The testing on the Green light progresses quickly; only three more colors left. "B5: hope, please."

There is a brilliant flash and feedback. I'm lifted into the air and remain floating. "B5, what was that?"

"An interaction of the Green and Blue light. They directly empower each other. Hope can empower any of the other lights, but it is recommended not to do this at your current level of expertise."

I gently land then take back off. "I can fly! Can I fly with all the lights? B5, what powers are the same across all the lights?"

"Ring function check: Flight, Environmental Shield, Kinetic Shield, Hard Light Construct, Environmental Playback, Electromagnetic Scanning, Energy Absorption and Expulsion, Technology Interface, Universal Translation. All systems functional.

Locked Systems: Deputy Protocol, Subspace Storage, Star Map Database"

"That is an impressive list and seems to have no theme. You are sure you did not build the ring?" Armsmaster asks.

"I didn't. Dad said I was still knocked out when it appeared and he was asleep."

"It is too bad he would not submit to an MRI, but it's understandable. Your powers are more varied than even most grab-bag capes I know of. If I did not know the story I would think it was made by multiple tinkers instead of being one tinkertech-like projection."

I very pointedly switch back to my neutral silver costume. "Now for the Indigo Light of Compassion." As the change takes hold, I can feel the light throw every pain I have ever caused into sharp relief. The time I hit a boy for pulling Emma's hair. The times I lied to my dad about how my day had been. The times I tried to hurt Greg's feelings and missed the mark. I stand in the light of compassion and am judged. I am found wanting, but I sense that compassion is forgiving if you are willing to put in the work.

"This is the light I want to use. I don't even need to switch to love to know. Compassion is the hero's light."

Armsmaster chuckles at my declaration. "It is a very powerful motivation. Each of them is if directed properly. Finish the last one and we can move on to other tests. The question-answer session at the end of this should be fascinating."

/\\/

"This cafeteria is number three out of five. Number five is open to the public, so please avoid it until your debut," Armsmaster says as we set down to eat.

Thankfully, he has led me to a corner table where I can see everyone that approaches. I nod in acceptance, still blushing over what occurred with the violet light, as he continues.

"I wanted to speak with you about the parahuman that came to your home. The Protectorate is aware of the person, but when we questioned her, she claimed to have nothing to do with healing you. Your father mentioned that she did not demonstrate any power. How likely would you say the claim to be parahuman was an attempt to intimidate you?"

"I don't think it was. It seemed more like an attempt to get me to sympathize with her. The way she worded it was like I should care about her just based on sharing it in common, not a threat."

"And you have indicated a willingness to work with the person in question, even considering your history?"

"Yes, but I won't put up with her bullying again. Not after seeing where it leads."

Armsmaster faces me sharply. "If you work with the Wards I expect you to go through proper channels and report her. As a probationary Ward, she would be held to strict standards of conduct. This will not be like your school."

I look at him intently, trying to spot some tell of deception. When I find none, I lower my gaze. "Okay, I'll trust you."

"On a lighter topic, your school transfer process has begun. You should be sitting placement tests starting this Wednesday. Wards normally are only required to attend classes for half a day but during your placement, you will be attending full days. After you have finished eating, I will escort you to the Image department."

/\\/

Each of the three women in the cramped office has a pageboy haircut. Other than that, it would be difficult to think of them as similar. Lydia Susanna, public relations admin, is short and has a grandmotherly smile. Edith Head, costume design, is tall and gangly looking, with hair so black it looks like an inkpot. Anna Wintour, media presence, is severe-looking, with straight brown hair.

I look up from the last nameplate into Mrs. Wintour's scowl. Faces like that stopped affecting me after so many times in Principal Blackwell's office trying to report bullies. Mrs. Susanna stands up and walks around her desk to greet me.

"Hello, dear, we just finished going over your file. Come, sit down and please call me Lydia. Would you like a peppermint?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Now, I understand from the forms that your uniform changes your clothes and creates a mask. Do you have any control over the process?"

"Oh, I haven't tried to control it, but what should I change?"

"Edith, what do you think?"

"She needs a bigger mask. You can't hide an identity behind such a tiny mask."

The moment Mrs. Head says it, I focus my intent on changing the mask. With the help of B5, I turn it into a copy of Armsmaster's helmet.

"You can do power armor! But should we do power armor? No, I think not. I'll need to design something from the ground up." Mrs. Head begins mumbling to herself and drawing.

"Well, it looks like we got her started. It will take about two days for her to have anything for you. Now let's go over what type of identity you will be presenting to the public. I was hoping you would be willing to act a bit bombastic after you get comfortable in the Wards. Do you have any concrete ideas on the personality you will show?"

"I want to be approachable, but I'm not sure what that means. And 'bombastic' is the opposite of my personality. I don't think I could pull it off. I could be the strong silent type. That's more of my speed."

"Silent? Oh goodness no, that would be such a waste. However, approachable is a good place to start. Mrs. Wintour, do you have any ideas?"

"We could always use a happy-go-lucky Ward. Whatever we end up with, let's try to avoid dour types. Can I see your smile?"

I give her my best fake smile.

"You are going to need to practice a better smile. This one has far too much grimace in it. We are also going to have to do something about the way you enter a room. You hug yourself as if a shadow is going to bite you, then stare anywhere other than a person until forced to meet a gaze. That is not the way of power!"

I bristle at this but remain silent.

"Now about your name, Lantern, it's simple and to the point. You shine light where there is darkness. It's not a bad name, compared to some. We may want to change it to better suit your cape persona, however. Have you considered Power Ring or Aurora? Both are more cheery and lighthearted, if you'll pardon the pun."

"I'm a little attached to the name. It's what my ring calls me."

"Agree to attend my parahuman etiquette class and I will not try to convince you to change it. I'll also argue in favor of keeping it to my boss."

"Etiquette, so I would learn what? When it's okay to offer food to a hero in a full face mask?"

"Among other things, yes. I would also teach you how to behave at formal functions in uniform and how to hold yourself like a hero. You will of course be required to take something similar, a week-long course by the PRT. It will have none of the subtleties of my class. But it becomes unnecessary if you join me."

"I don't see the harm it could do. Do you need me to sign something?"

"Not yet. It's a lower priority class; just look for parahuman etiquette when you get a class list. Now we just have to convince Mrs. Susanna that the name is worth keeping.

The woman in question peers over her half-moon glasses with a steely gaze. "I hope you have good arguments because I very much prefer Power Ring."

/\\/

I leave the image department with a grin and two peppermints. The copy of Armsmaster's helmet has been changed again to a large silver domino mask that extends from my temples along my cheekbones, to accentuate the angles of my face and further obscure my identity. Sergeant Davidson is waiting at the door.

"Lantern, your guardian is waiting to take you home. Let's get you over to a changing room so you can get back in civvies."

I wave goodbye to Sergeant Davidson, then turn to Dad. "How was work? I know they surprised you this morning when they called you in."

"It was okay. Someone got caught stealing on a job site. They needed me to sign off on firing him. Since I was already there I caught up with some of what I missed. Nothing else exciting. Were you okay alone today?"

"Yeah, I got to see Armsmaster again. Had a little fun flying around and blowing up gel targets. You know, the usual stuff you do at a superhero base." I enjoy dad's stunned look a bit too much.

January 19, 2011, Wednesday.

I wake from a dream muddled and confused. It begins fading as soon as I try thinking about it. Shrinking crystal planet? B5, what time is it?

5:01 A.M.

Too early. I fall back asleep.

/\\/

I get my first look at Arcadia High School and it's a study in contrast to Winslow. Where Winslow had gang tags and yellow flaking paint, Arcadia is a pristine white building with a grass lawn. I follow the signs to the office at the center of the campus.

"How may I help you?" asks the older gentleman behind the desk.

"Hi, I'm here to take some placement tests."

"Ah, you must be Miss Hebert. I am Mr. Reese. Your test will be administered in the ISS room. Three doors down." He points a thumb behind himself. "I will be in after the first bell to give you one of the tests. Do you need anything else?"

"No, I'm fine." I head to where he pointed. Upon entering the room I see another student has already arrived. He is dressed in a well-fitted business suit and has a head of fiery red hair.

"Hello, I am Alexander. Are you Taylor?"

I nod, unsure how it would go over to ask him why he is dressed up compared to other students.

"Good, Please call me Lex. I'm your escort to lunch today. I just wanted to meet you so that you knew to wait for me. Mr. Reese is forgetful about that type of thing. Lunch is at eleven. We have a couple of minutes before classes, if you have any questions about the school." He gestures for me to sit down and does so as well.

"I guess the thing I'm wondering most is, how are the teachers?"

"Most of the teachers are good. I dislike the world issues class. Mr. Cameron is very lax with discipline. The best class is algebra with Mr. Yates. You will see why if you get stuck on a problem." Lex's voice is very placid, making me want to respond in the same way.

"Maybe it's just the way that world issues classes work. The one at my old school was like that as well. Do you know about the art class?"

"I have a friend that takes art. She enjoys it, says it's controlled chaos. I can introduce you at lunch. I have to get going now. The bell is about to ring.

As Lex is leaving Mr. Reese enters.

"Mr. Reese, could I have a late note for first period?"

"Sure Alexander, give me a second. He sets a test packet on my desk. Don't open that yet Taylor, gotta read the rules to you first."

/\\/

"Alright, Taylor, pencil down. You can finish this test when you come back from lunch. Place your scantron into the book and close it. Let's head out, I have to lock up the room."

"What about Lex? He was supposed to take me to lunch."

Mr. Reese grins. "He is very punctual. I would guess he is already waiting."

Mr. Reese proves to be partly correct. As we leave Lex is coming down the hall. He smiles charmingly when he reaches us.

"I see you are ready to go. Want to be one of the first ones in line?" We wave goodbye to Mr. Reese.

The walk to reach the cafeteria is rather short and spent in idle chatter about our favorite classes. It's so relaxing that before I notice we are sitting down with food across from a beautiful brunette.

"Taylor, this is Tess. Tess, be nice, Taylor is new."

"I will have you know I am a consummate professional," she says with a disdainful snort. She immediately breaks down into giggles. "Sorry, I have to practice being serious for a future job. Nice to meet you, Taylor. What brings you to Arcadia?"

"Some stuff happened at Winslow that gave me the chance to switch. So I took it."

"Oh my gosh, are you Prismatic?" Tess whispers.

"I honestly have no idea who Prismatic is and why would I be her?"

Tess gets a suspicious look. "She's the new hero that healed a girl by putting her in a prismatic bubble. Everyone knows that all the heroes eventually end up at Arcadia. If you went to Winslow how have you not heard of her? She is all the students are talking about. It happened on the first day back from Christmas break."

"Um, I haven't been back to school until today." Is she talking about Madison? Armsmaster said she was ruled out.

"Not to cut that short, but Tess, I think you should drop it. If Taylor is Prismatic she can't tell people she just met. If she is not, we should believe her on her word. I know how you get with anything that resembles a mystery."

"Aw, that's not nearly as fun. Lex, you're such a spoilsport."

"So are you two full-time students or do you have work base after lunch?"

"I have work base. Tess is a full-time student because she aims low."

"The Head of Mom's company is not low. Taylor, don't listen to him! We manufacture most of the computer chips used on the east coast. He is just jealous because my life goals are more attainable than his. He wants to make equipment for the PRT that will make them equal to parahumans."

"I never said that! I just want to reduce the death rate in the PRT. Anyway, my work base is with Star Labs, in the metamaterials department. I am learning how to handle a metal alloy that takes on the properties of whatever it's touching. Doctor Ivo has some amazing ideas for it. He is pretty sure we can make it grow by adding...Hey! Tess, don't kick me. This one was interesting I swear."

"Yeah, whatever you can technobabble when I am not around. You know most people can't follow what you do."

"Oh right sorry, Taylor. If I rant just tell me to stop. I would appreciate it." He gives a sheepish smile.

"Um sure, I don't mind if you want to tell me about science stuff though. As long as I can ask questions. I think it is time to get back to class."

/\\/

I get home to be greeted by the sound of a ringing phone.

"Hello, Hebert residents. Taylor speaking."

"Miss Hebert, this is Sergeant Davidson, Ward's liaison of the PRT. We have you down for a nine a.m. meeting this Saturday, January 22, 2011. Is that a good day for you?"

"Yes!"

Lantern Colors and abilities
White/Life:

Emotional Spectrum Dominance: The white light is the first light and in essence, all of the other colors of the emotional spectrum combined. As such, a user of a white ring can generate any color of the emotional spectrum and use the powers of each color.

Overriding: White Power Rings can "override" rings of other colors, temporarily turning them into White Power Rings also.

Resurrection: White Power Rings also have the notable power to bring recently deceased beings back from the dead.

Red/Rage

Rage Plasma: The Red Lantern can vomit plasma, which has been described as napalm and acid mixed together, it burns away at anything. It can be surmised that is the effect of the internal rage on the blood. These flames burn even in space. The effect it has on living beings allows it to ignite the flames of rage in a victims' blood and has the effect of burning through an energy aura of an opponent as well as corrupting other power rings depleting them at an accelerated rate and greatly weakening the structures they create.

Rage Transformation: All Red Power Rings bring about an odd transformation within the hosts being, almost every change varies from wearer to wearer. Said transition can be as menial as a simple costume change to as dramatic as a full-on biophysical metamorphosis. The alterations are more than skin deep, those with exceptionally strong fury can become physically and emotionally more powerful than the average feral lantern. Even retaining some small part of their mental stability while developing new powers unique to themselves.

Blood Portals: A unique quality of the Power Ring, is their capacity to open portals out of the red lantern's plasma blood. Enabling the wielder in question to traverse interstellar distances in an instant.

Blood Replication: Red Rings give the user the ability to copy the powers of others by sampling their blood.

Orange/Avarice

Identity Usurpation: Orange light is capable of creating avatar Orange Lanterns of the beings killed and consumed by orange light, literally stealing their identity postmortem. This avatar is an avarice-corrupted version of its former self, possessing no thought pattern besides the insatiable greed. They can act individually when released from the ring.

Yellow/Fear

Instill Fear: An opponent's fears can be laid bare by delving into their minds. The power only works on the direct emotion of fear. This allows them to create the energy constructs of an opponent's worst nightmare. Also, once that fear is exposed, the ring's ability allows the wielder to amplify the fear to the point of irrationality and true horror on the part of the victim and conversely empowering the ring wielder.

Solar radiation: The yellow light can imitate the sun's rays and empower those who need sunlight.

Green/Willpower

Emotional poison Immunity: Masters of the Green light are difficult to emotionally manipulate and will not be driven mad by the other lights.

Blue/Hope

Being in direct range of the emotional aura of a blue lantern allows them to charge an outer power reserve, by the sheer hope of the lantern its power will remain constant. The empowerment extends to even the stellar reactions of stars, allowing one to reverse the age of a dying star to that of a relatively newborn star. Solely empowered by the hope of the population that relied on it, in turn empowering the Blue Lantern who then collects and uses it for the purpose of transformation.

Healing: The rings show a considerable ability to heal the injuries of others, more so than any other power-ring has demonstrated.

Indigo/Compassion

Emotional Spectrum Emulation: A power unique to the Indigo light is that it can emulate the other energies of the emotional spectrum. This ability has been shown to allow the wielder to copy the power of other power rings with the exception of Black or White.

Discern Motivation: In effect with healing and restoring damaged or destroyed bodily tissue the ring has the effect of laying bare any and every horrific thing the individual they're restoring has done in their life.

Exorcism: Using the light of compassion Indigo lanterns can expunge any possessing entity laying within another individual.

Teleportation: The Indigo light allows the unique ability of teleportation. The distance that can be traveled depends on how much charge the ring has.

Forced Empathy: The Indigo light forces those without emotional or moral depth to feel for those whom they've wronged in the past. This usually manifests as chains and manacles that bind the person in question, while erasing their initially sociopathic character. The intent of this was to convert some of the galaxy's worst criminals and felons to feel for their victims, eventually leading to a form of redemptive reconditioning in those who've been enslaved to the Indigo light.

Violet/Love

Crystallization: A Violet lantern has the unique power to crystallize others with the power of love. This power is not fully understood but they apparently put the victim in a form of suspended animation. The power is great enough to crystallize an entire planet in a day.

Black/Death

Emotional Reading: The Black Lantern rings are capable of scanning a being's current emotional state and where it falls onto the Emotional Spectrum.

Life Extinguishing: The Black Lantern rings are capable of taking hold of a person who had been killed and resurrected, putting them under their control.

All rings:

Power Rings have the ability to affect and use fundamental forces of the universe, including gravity, radiation, heat, light, and blasts of concussive force. The ring can also create fields of force formed from an energy bound by the user's intent. The limitations of such use are the skill, knowledge, and imagination of the ring-wearer.

Energy Blasts: The ring can be used to fire blasts of energy or create weapons. The ring can project beams of force powered by the intent of the user.

Force-Field Generation: The ring can create force fields to protect the wearer and others. The ring creates a force-field around the wearer, protecting themself from the hazards of the void, including filtration of stellar radiation and microscopic particulate matter which would ordinarily be fatal should the space debris strike the ring wielder at high speeds. An atmosphere appropriate to the ring wielder's biology is created inside the force-field, body temperature is maintained and waste products are removed. Gravitational stresses which could cause injury are stabilized for the ring wielder.

Energy Constructs: The ring can form constructs of energy. The ring is a weapon capable of transforming the wearer's thoughts into physical constructs through the wearer's mastery of the GLOW. A Lantern can create any particular item or construct that they can imagine as long as they have the mastery of the light necessary to conjure it into existence. Items created by the rings are not indestructible and are only as powerful as the intent of the Lantern creating them.

Environmental Playback: Upon request, the ring can recreate a holographic environment based on data in its memory banks. The ring wielder can observe events, but the wielder cannot alter the outcome of the playback. Objects in the playback will appear in the full spectrum of colors, regardless of the wielder's level of expertise creating simulacrums. The ring will automatically end the playback if outside interference warrants the wielder's undivided attention.

Flight/Levitation: By the manipulation of anti-gravitons and directed molecular movement, the ring allows the user to fly at incredible speeds. In space, a Lantern's speed can be significantly greater and can approach 80% of light speed in normal space. Flight is possible at velocities exceeding light-speed. In atmospheres, air friction is not a hindrance, since heat is either absorbed or reflected by the ring's field. A Lantern has been known to fly as fast as Mach 10 in the atmosphere by creating an aerodynamic envelope around his body. Towing others, usually within a bubble, his speed is limited to twice the speed of sound or 1440 mph.

Energy Twin: The ring allows the wearer to create an "energy twin" of themself that can travel far faster than the wielder's physical form. While the energy twin is active, the ring wielder remains motionless, their life force is needed to guide the twin. The twin can not alter its surroundings, and may only be perceived by another wielder of the emotional spectrum as a ghost-like image. Any knowledge gained by the twin is transferred back to the wielder's physical form upon recontact with the body. As a rule, a wielder can not create actual, independent duplicates of themselves.

Ring Duplication: Most rings are capable of duplicating themselves. Each duplicate typically shares the capabilities of the original ring. Each duplicate still needs to be recharged by a power battery.

Mind Alteration: Though the ethics of mind tampering may be debatable, sometimes it is necessary. As the power ring relies on thought and intent to operate, mind tampering is not impossible. The difficulty lies in properly applying the power. There lies a risk of catastrophic damage to the mind should missteps be made. A ring wielder can use the power ring to erase portions of an individual's memories. The ring can also be used to beam information from the ring wielder to another. Lanterns have used this technique to share information during combat situations.

Energy Absorption: The ring can absorb and store most other energies. Doing so does not replenish the normal store of energy the ring has. A ring that needs recharging but contains a store of electricity could only discharge that electricity.

Wormholes & Spacial Warps: The ring grants its wearer access to wormholes in space, enabling the ring wielder to rapidly cut time and distance needed for transport. Black holes can be navigated by experienced ring wielders.

Limited Cellular Regeneration: Rings have the ability to heal physical injuries.

Electromagnetic Scanning: The ring has a wide range of detection abilities based on the imagination of the user. If one can conceive of it, they can probably detect it. Most normal electromagnetic phenomena are within the range of the ring, including radio, television, infrared, ultraviolet, and high-frequency band communications.

Xenolinguistics: The power ring acts as a universal translator.

Material Alteration: A Lantern's uniform is not made out of fabric. It is created by the Ring whenever the wearer wishes to wear it. It automatically appears over the wearer's normal clothing and vanishes when the wearer intends to return to their civilian attire. Most Lanterns wear similar uniforms that are programmed into the ring by default. However, each Lantern is able to adjust their uniform to fit their own needs, personalities and whims.

Emergency Beacon: A Lantern in distress can use their power ring as an emergency beacon. The alert can be directed to another Lantern's neighboring sector, or it can be a Corps-wide alert.

Homing Beacon: A homing beacon in the power ring can lead one Lantern to another. The ring can be ordered to disguise itself to elude power ring wielding trackers. Most often ring wielders will allow the beacon to signal their location to others.

Green light upgrade. Invisibility and Phasing now belong only to Will.

Invisibility & Light Refraction: A ring wielder can render themselves invisible by willing the ring to bend light waves around their form, as well as that of the power ring. Presumably, a similar action allows an experienced ring wielder to create objects of other colors.

Phasing: The ring allows its wearer to pass through solid objects. Which objects not penetrable are not known, but it may depend upon the strength of the wearer's intent and the density of the object's molecular structure. The wielder can pass through the fourth-dimensional gap or dissemble their own molecular structure.

Pocket Dimension: Within the ring exists the possibility of an entire world.

Security Protocol: The rings can be programmed. They are coded to the wearer to make them unusable if stolen.

Preset Conditions: Commands can be stored in the ring to be executed at a later date, even if the bearer is not wearing the ring.

Thought Relay: Otherwise known as a telepathic link. Ring wielders can link minds together to communicate at the speed of thought.

Search Probes: A user is capable of sending probes through their Power Ring that are tasked with locating specific targets or individuals.

Galactic Encyclopedia: The ring contains enough information storage to cover every byte of data encountered.

Chapter 3
January 22, 2011, Saturday

---

The room is tidy and well organized. There is a mail shelf going from the floor to ceiling on the left wall and on the right wall is a bunch of charts and schedules. The man behind the desk is just as neat. His business-casual clothes look freshly ironed.

With a small snap, Sergeant Davidson closes my new flip phone to get my attention and hands it over. "That is to be treated as a business phone. You can get a new one issued each year. If you lose them more often than that, you will have to pay for a replacement. Do you have questions about anything?"

"I was wondering why some classes I take are so short? Weapons handling is only for five days and CPR is for one. It just seems like they should take longer."

"There are advanced versions of those courses — Advanced Tactical Guns and ACLS. Most of your required classes are going to be like that. While I am thinking of it; Mrs. Wintour wanted me to remind you that you were going to take Parahuman Etiquette. Do you still want to?"

I smile, thinking of the conversation between Mrs. Wintour and Mrs. Lydia. It was nice having an adult completely on my side. "Yes, I made a deal with her. I'll do my best to keep it."

"In that case, you will need to complete a few classes before picking more. Your father signed off on the maximum number of hours that you are allowed to be in uniform: six hours on weekdays and nine hours on weekends. That covers any classes you take as well. Speaking of, I was hoping to slip you into the CPR class today before you meet the on-base Wards. How about it?"

/\\/

"I am not nervous about meeting them. They are just heroes; each with at least several months of experience, if not years at most." I hate the way my voice goes high in pitch at the end of that sentence.

"And each of them has been right where you are now. They know what it is like just starting out. You could probably ask them what their first days were like if you want a conversation starter," Sergeant Davidson replies.

We are standing in a hallway adorned with pictures of the current Wards roster. Each Ward looks suitably heroic in their portrait. The doors on either end are thick metal things. It reminds me of an airlock. I shouldn't be nervous but going into the Wards area is different when everyone is going to be there.

Sergeant Davidson has already hit the doorbell to the Wards common room. After a moment the door slides aside to reveal Aegis the leader of the Wards. He is in his rust-red costume with a matching helmet, both with silver-white trim, and a shield emblem on his chest. I can't see his mouth but his eyes crinkle like he is smiling.

"Hey, welcome, and come in!" He steps back and I see four of the other Wards sitting around a long table chatting. Aegis is the only one with his helmet on. Everyone else is wearing domino masks. Even as I notice this he is removing it; revealing long beautiful black hair that is almost as nice as my curly locks.

"Lantern, I am going to be in my office if you have any questions or problems come get me." Sergeant Davidson instructs me before entering said office.

I mutely nod to him while holding a polite strained smile.

"Want to come meet everyone?" Aegis offers.

"The redhead is Dennis, Clockblocker in uniform."

Dennis gives me a winning smile and removes his mask but remains silent.

"Gallant or Dean is the one in the futuristic knight's power armor."

"Nice to meet you. I look forward to working with you," Gallant says.

"That just leaves Vista, Missy and Kid Win, Chris." Both wave.

I take an empty seat by Vista. She wears a costume with a skirt covered in wavy, swooping lines. Her panels of body armor are forest green. Kid Win wears power armor colored red and gold.

"I go by Aegis or Carlos. The other three Wards take that as a cue to remove their masks. I know that is a lot to remember all at once but you are not expected to. How would you like us to address you?"

"Oh, um I guess by my real name, Taylor. But my cape name is Lantern." I dismiss my mask.

"We can do civilian names today, but you'll need to get used to calling us by our in uniform identities soon."

"So, I hear you're a tinker…" Chris says leadingly.

"Kind of? I am actually a grab bag. I work with crystals and emotional light energies made by my ring. They said I was a shaker and a tinker leaning more strongly to shaker because I don't understand how my stuff works and I can combine solid matter in weird ways. I have several more things I can do but they are all part of my shaker power"

"I will have to show you the lab later. Oh, have you taken the lab safety course yet? If not we will need to get a technician for… I mean, do you want to go to the lab after we all have a chance to get to know each other? Sorry, I should have asked, not told. I am excited because you are the first tinker I have met my age."

My smile becomes more genuine on hearing how nervous Chris sounds. It is good I am not the only one bad at this. "Sure, Armsmaster already cleared me for something I want to make for each of you! But I want it to be a surprise."

"Oh yeah! We get presents!" Dennis says with an enthusiastic fist pump. "Can I have mine first?"

"I think I will give them out in the order I see everyone. So maybe?" I say hesitantly.

Dennis sighs theatrically without letting his grin slip, "I guess I will wait my turn then."

"So Taylor, what are you looking forward to most about being a hero?" Dean inquiries.

"I am hoping to enjoy outreach work. I know the patrols cause a dip in crime but helping on a personal scale is just more appealing."

Missy perks up from where she had been leaning on the table. "That is mostly what I take the lead on. We've been letting PR choose all our community outreach work but if you have something you want to do I bet we could make it happen."

They let the youngest person on the team take the lead? I wonder how good she is at the job? Must at least be good enough. At the same time, those thoughts flit across my mind, my expression hardens. "An Anti-Bullying campaign. I am not ready to talk about why, but I would like to make people think twice before bullying others."

"It's okay, you can tell us when you get comfortable, but you might consider that real testimonials are a way to get a crowd of students to take you seriously," Carlos adds. "Do you have some questions for us?"

"I was wondering where Shadow Stalker is? I was looking forward to meeting her."

I can hear the distaste in Missy's voice. "She got caught on an unscheduled patrol. That normally would have gotten her console duty but she wasn't using the tinker-tech arrows the PRT gave her for her crossbow. She was using real ones. Sergeant Davidson said she's either going to juvie or a boot camp set up by the Protectorate."

"Oh, I knew she had the whole antihero thing going on but I thought she used blunted bolts. I'm sorry to hear that."

"Yeah, we are all sorry that happened to her but it was her choice. She knew she was already on thin ice," Chris says.

There is an awkward silence no one seems to want to intrude on so I force out another question. "Next, I was wondering what Dean's real power is. Chris said I am the only tinker our age he has met but the public thinks Dean is a tinker."

Dean lets out a small laugh. "It is not the biggest secret, but try not to spread it around. Chris made the armor with Armsmaster and maintains it for me. I see emotions and I can throw blast of concussive force that change the emotions of the one hit."

"Huh, I wonder if our powers are related. My concussive blasts don't change emotions though." I look at Dennis, "And I am guessing you can't really stop time by holding your breath?"

"Is that one still around! The PR team was proud of that. No, I can stop time for whatever I touch. One minute minimum and fifteen maximum. I don't control the length of time so be careful about working around stuff I freeze. As you can tell, they like us to keep our powers secret so villains don't know exactly what they are up against."

"Speaking about villains and time. It's time for a patrol," Carlos says. "Taylor, what's your next class?"

"I don't have any more classes today. I already went through CPR class this morning. I have a meeting with the Director at two."

"Ah, Dean and I are on patrol. Dennis is on Console watching us. So do you mind hanging out with Missy and Chris until your meeting?"

"I don't mind, do I get to see the tinker lab now?"

"We should get your room chosen before we go to the lab," Missy says.

"I need a few minutes anyway. What I was saying earlier is that we need a technician for safety reasons. So you won't be able to enter the lab immediately," Chris says.

"Then yeah, picking a room seems like a wonderful idea. See you guys after your patrol?"

"See you then," Carlos agrees. Dean waves.

"Let's go to the kitchen first. I'm hungry. Follow me." Missy turns to walk backward while talking to me. "Okay, best thing about the kitchen is that Sergeant Davidson will let us get anything. As long as we all meet the requirements of our health tests. You see the list beside the door? Just write what items you want on it. Dennis usually writes the fresh veggie list. I think the only thing we don't get is eggplant."

I was expecting something opulent but the kitchen is fairly standard though very large. There are two refrigerators and an unplugged deep freezer. Plenty of counter space, cabinet space, a sink, and an electric stove. Pretty sure the long table where I met everyone is for dining.

"The left fridge is for food you don't want to share, the right one is communal." She opens the right fridge and pulls out a big plate full of cherry tomatoes, sliced bell pepper, sliced cucumber, and whole mushrooms. She scoops a handful of each into a bowl with a flip lid. "Do you want anything?"

"Um yeah, I want to get some of those vegetables as well." This time I see space bend as she reaches for the bowls on the other side of the room.

She shows me a mischievous smile while handing the bowl to me. "Using powers outside of prescribed areas is prohibited. So be careful about that kind of thing. Come on, I have to show you the entertainment center next." I quickly grab some bell pepper and cucumber then let her put the plate back up. We go back into the common area.

This time I notice my surroundings now that I don't have a gaggle of anxiety-inducing peers to keep an eye on. There are several doors, one for Ward's liaison office and one for the Ward's leader. Boys dorms and girls dorms each have a door. On the opposite end of the room from the kitchen is a bank of four large monitors. Dennis has taken up residence in the fluffiest chair I have ever seen in front of the monitors.

Missy sees where I am looking. "Yeah, that's the console. Unless you are interested in video games I can wait to show you the entertainment center."

"Never played one, but those Digimon commercials I have seen are interesting. It might be nice to raise a virtual pet. Yeah, maybe later."

Missy's face scrunches up like she smelled something bad. "Ew, no, those games are too realistic. You have to clean up monster poop. We do have the latest one though so you can try it out if you want."

We go to the table to eat our food. As we are sitting down Missy asks, "So who's your favorite hero?"

"Easily Armsmaster, I have never had such a good first impression of someone and he lived up to it again on our second meeting."

Missy points a bell pepper slice at me. "I don't mean to knock your choice but he is so blunt. Velocity is better because he is nicer."

"I might agree with you later when I have met him but I doubt it. Is that who your favorite is?"

"Hmm, just out of the locals. Doctor T. O. Morrow is my favorite overall. I love old science fiction and him creating the first A.G.I. was so cool."

We lapse into companionable silence while we finish eating.

Missy takes my bowl, "Why don't you go chat with Dennis while I rinse these. I'll be back in a sec."

As I walk closer to him there is a sudden tingling across the back of my arms. I look down to see a groove cut into the floor. Once I am past it the tingling stops and I can now hear what is showing on the monitors. It is just Dean and Carlos interacting with a group of teens. It looks like they are in the gift shop. They are fully suited up so I should try to think of them as Gallant and Aegis.

"Hey, how are you liking things so far?" It takes me a second to register that Dennis is talking to me because his eyes never move from the screens.

"It's nicer than I expected. The online stuff had me thinking I was going to walk into everyone acting like the military."

"Some advice for dealing with the Director, act like it is. She was a PRT trooper before her injuries. Yes ma'am no ma'am can get you pretty far with her."

"What's wrong with her?"

"Sorry, that's all I know and I'm not about to ask. None of my business. But you have been doing great so far. The little q&a session has me thinking you tried to be very prepared."

My hands suddenly become very interesting but I am not sure what to do with them. "Thanks! I looked up a few things." There is a crackle and from behind me as Missy crosses the sound blocking line.

"Taylor, are you ready to pick out a room?" She asks.

/\\/

"So, do I need to know any rules before we go into the lab?"

"Eh, just don't touch what he's working on and don't press any buttons. The technician should fill you in on everything else. And don't forget to use in uniform names around the technician. " She presses the doorbell three times.

An annoyed-looking man opens the door. "Vista, Lantern, good to see you again. Don't go past the tape until you are suited up. Lab coats, safety glasses, and Peaked Bouffant Caps for everyone.

Lantern since you haven't taken the required safety course yet, the rules are don't touch any sharp objects, or any exposed wires. Don't press any buttons. If the tinker tells you to run, drop everything and run. I am here to make sure your visit to the lab goes smoothly. If you need anything ask me and if you ever need a second pair of hands I'm usually a phone call away."

"Mr. Teach, you forgot to introduce yourself to Lantern and the sign-in sheet wasn't outside. Do you know what happened to it?"

"Yes, Kid Win took it to the cleanroom to write down what he has been working on."

Now that Mr. Teach has switched his attention to Vista, I take the chance to walk around the room. My first time in a tinker's lab is...oddly disappointing. Unlike on tv shows, with the clean lines and glowing everything, there is technology just strewn across two tables. It's hard to tell that it's Tinkertech.

The other two steel tables are clean and bare. The most interesting thing about the room is the wall of tools. It's fully decked out with hanging hammers, screwdrivers, and pliers. Just every basic tool I know and many odd-looking ones I have never seen before. More than a few look like dangerous weapons rather than tools. Just as I am about to take a closer look at a metal sphere on one table Chris comes in from the double doors at the back of the room.

Instead of his power armor, Chris is dressed in blue coveralls and has on a red visor that covers his eyes.

"Hey Kid Win, You normally have all four tables full of projects. Why is it so clean in here!?" Vista shouts.

"I finished some modules for my alternator-cannon and got that thing in for review. I just don't need that much room for now. It's so clean because I am going on a stress testing and maintenance cycle to save up my budget for a big project. Also because I was told we are getting a new tinker. I remember what it was like chasing my first few projects around the lab." He grins nostalgically. "I needed all the space. So want to see some tinker-tech in action?"

I don't try to disguise my enthusiasm. "Yes please!"

He opens a drawer under one of the tables and pulls out his iconic hoverboard. He sits the board on an empty table. "I have to test a new computer and teleportation system I made. It uses nanomagnets instead of silicon transistors and quantum superpositioning to move the object. It's going to help me teleport stuff into the field. The villains won't know what hit them when I can resupply in the middle of battle!

Just keep your hands away from the drone when it teleports, it dislikes living things. Now, these drones are the proof of concept for my next build. If you watch above the hoverboard, the drone should appear there flying. 3… 2… 1…"

There is a high-pitched whine and the metal sphere is teleported but drops most of the way to the table before catching itself. Confusingly Kid Win looks disappointed with the result but he gives a small smile when Vista cheers.

"Lantern, would you like to make something?" He asks.

"I made a translator for Armsmaster to study. I was hoping to make some for the rest of the team. As for me, everything else I want to build is a multi-day thing."

"Just tell me what it takes and I am sure we can scrounge it up."

"It's thumb-sized quartz crystals and single-board computers. I need five of each"

Kid Win goes to collect the items, setting them on the last cleared table.

"B5, activate Indigo, please. The first time I did this I used the green light of will. It took several tries before I understood how to let my ring help me." I pick up the tiny computer and crystal with a construct enveloping them in the Indigo light. What part of compassion do I want to focus on? I could give them a gift because they have shown me kindness. I could want to help them be better at communication, helping them do their jobs. Is that the only way the rings will improve things? I am not very good at this. I feel stronger compassion for them because they have shown me kindness so I will focus on that.

Similar to what I did when making my mask, I let B5 do the heavy lifting. The objects seem to become insubstantial, then merge, forming a circuit pattern inside the now spherical, glowing Indigo crystal.

"Armsmaster already tested a few things. It can be four inches from your skin and still translate. The translation is two-way and can be turned off by thinking or asking it to. The gem will reshape itself to within its current mass so if you want to make a bracelet out of it you can. It is as flexible as cloth or as rigid as metal and Armsmaster couldn't break one, even with his power armor helping." I can't keep the pride out of my voice while telling him about the features. I hold the gem out for him to take.

"So do either of you know another language?" He asks.

"I can cuss in Japanese," Vista volunteers.

"Of course you can, and no you don't get to curse at me in Japanese."

"Sorry, I barely passed Spanish last year and I'm not doing so well this year either."

"That's alright, the other feature is neat as well. I could use this as an omni-tool." He changes the gem into a small hex wrench then a screwdriver used on glasses.

I continue making the other translators while Kid Win places his in a scanner.

"Warning Indigo Has Fallen To 9% Charge. Indigo may now only be used in emergencies or with a command to override this safety measure."

"B5, what are my charges?"

"Current charges: Red/Rage 24%, Orange/Avarice 25%, Yellow/Fear 36%, Green/Will 16%, Blue/Hope 23%, Indigo/Compassion 9%, Violet/Love 23%, White/Life 0%, Black/Death 0%."

"You mentioned that your power works off of emotional light energy. What happens when you run out?" Chris asks.

"B5, can you answer that?" I inquire.

"Functional systems will be Energy Absorption, Energy Expulsion, and Universal Translation. The unit may be recharged at any time and will continue attempting to recharge from ambient emotion."

"Oh yeah, now I remember! I can actually still fly but I would be doing it without any protection. When the power testing staff found that out they asked that it be put under 'in an emergency only'."

"Meeting with the Director in twenty minutes."

"Crap! Thank you, B5. Could one of you show me how to get to the Director's office?"

"One moment! You haven't filled out the sign-in sheet. Please do so, otherwise I'll get in trouble for letting you in the lab. Just your name and creating translators as the reason for visiting. Time arrived and time leaving."

Mr. Teach holds out the clipboard to me. It is the work of a moment to fill in what he asked for.

"Thank you, now Vista can escort you up. Kid Win has more paperwork to do."

"Bye, thanks for showing me the lab. So Vista, how much of a hurry are we in?"

"Basically, run!" She bolts for the door.

I take a moment to collect the gems I made. Unfortunately, there are only four, including the one I gave to Chris. Then I follow Missy at a much more sedate pace. I don't want to get my lab privileges revoked for running around!

/\\/

"Oh! Before I forget, will you give Clockblocker and Gallant their gems? I am going to make Aegis one after the meeting."

"I think Clock would prefer for you to give it to him. Kid Win and I won't show ours off and Gallant should be getting back around the same time you are done with the director."

"I will hold on to them in that case."

"Lantern, the director is ready for you," the secretary calls.

"Wish me luck, Vista."

"You'll be fine, good luck."

With that, I try to relax and head into the director's office.

The door swings shut behind me. I come to a stop standing between a regular leather chair and a reinforced steel chair. The director's office is spartan. She has one small tree setting in the corner. Her bookshelf is full of reference and legal books. A picture on her desk is facing fully toward her where I can't see it. Her desk is sturdy-looking metal. The woman herself is… fat and her bleach blond hair is in an unfortunate bowl cut.

"Lantern, please sit."

I offer the director a small smile as I sit, which she doesn't return. Instead, her steel gray eyes bore into me like she is dissecting me. She nods after a moment seeming to have found whatever she was looking for.

"Welcome to the Wards program, Lantern. Here you will find camaraderie and expectation in equal measure. Your peers have in the past treated you cruelly. You will see that Wards are held to a higher standard. If anyone behaves out of line I expect you to bring it up to Aegis, if the problem is not resolved you will escalate to Sergeant Davidson. Should Sergeant Davidson fail to address the issue you are to escalate to myself and Armsmaster.

You have spoken of being able to work with someone who has wronged you. We are considering adding Madison to our roster however, I am hesitant to do so. Do you know what a probational Ward is?"

"No ma'am."

"It is a Ward that found themselves in trouble with the authorities. In exchange for not going to prison, they offer to perform the community service of being a hero. I have just had one such Ward show themselves unfit for the role and they have been remanded in custody. I have no interest in adding another such unstable element to the team. Do you believe that if given the opportunity Madison would fall in line?"

"Um, I'm not sure, but she always seemed like a follower. Her pranks were more annoying than anything. Not very creative. That's all I can give you personality-wise."

"Let me put it another way. Given the chance would you trust her with your life and could she trust you with hers?"

My eyes widened in surprise. "I would… if I was… I don't know. I would need to get to know her as something other than a bully before I would be comfortable answering that."

"In that case, you are cleared to work with her on a trial basis. Thank you for your honesty. Now, why don't you tell me about yourself? I have the numbers and statistics of you but not the personality."

I studied for this type of interview. I settle back into my chair and prepare to thoroughly bore the director. "For a while now my life had been on a downward spiral. My mother died then my best friend turned on me. But I plan to give this second chance my all. I am going to try and reinvent myself. I am already making new friends at Arcadia and I think I made a good impression on my new co-workers. Hopefully, with the help of the staff, I can become an asset to the program."

"If given the order to leave civilians in danger and retreat would you?"

… I may not have prepared as well as I thought.

/\\/

As I make my way back to the Wards common area I can't help mulling over one of the questions she asked me.

"Tell me about a time you intentionally hurt someone."

Am I going to be able to hurt people in the defense of others? On the surface, the question seems easy. I say yes, but I don't want to add more pain to the world. I am not a pacifist and I am not exactly going to be punching the evildoers like some bad Saturday morning cartoon. I shake my head to clear my thoughts. I scan my new Id on the door and let myself into the common area.

"Until I should die, until I should break,
not a god, not a devil my soul shall take.
If I should lie to betray myself,
then I would damn myself, and my soul forsake."

Chris sounds pretty good. They have a section of wall slid aside revealing a big flatscreen Tv. I should have wondered why all the chairs and the couch were facing that direction. The Tv has a Karaoke machine plugged into it. Missy sees me first and waves me over.

"Hey Taylor, come have a listen! And some pizza! I'm singing next."

"What song is this?"

"Control by VNV Nation."

As the song ends Dennis takes the seat Missy vacated. I take the chance to give him his gem while the next song is being picked, explaining again how it works. He removes his orange ribbon ear piercing from his right ear and places the gem close to it before reshaping it to fit as a hoop earring.

"Do you wanna be a hero in the sky?
High adventure, higher pay, join the Space Marines today
Yeah, you're gonna be a hero in the sky"

"Oh god not again," Dennis says. All of the boys start quietly booing Missy. But it just seems to fuel her, she sings louder.

"Hey Taylor, seriously thank you for the translator. It should help a lot. I can think of a few times it would have saved some trouble. Remind me to tell you later. For now, can I talk you into singing a song with me?"

Okay time to reinvent myself! "Sure what song do you have in mind?"

"Good Morning Sunshine by Alex Day"

I tune back in just in time to hear Missy belt out the loudest line yet.

"Do you want to kiss some foreign dames?" She crowed.
"On a hundred worlds or more, there's just still one kind of WHORE!"

I choke on my drink and soda dribbles out of my nose. I turn to look at Dennis. "Is she allowed to sing that?"

His grin is huge as he says, "Of course not, you want to tell her?"

"Now, hero is a four letter word
Just another term for fool, we should learn well in our school
Yeah, hero is a four letter word"

Okay, now I see why everyone was booing. Anti-hero and anti-military. I don't think we are the target demographic for the song. But it made me laugh, so I clap for her.

As Dennis and I are going up to do our song Carlos gets called into Sergeant Davidson's office. The upbeat tune starts and I let Dennis take the lead. All the other wards are singing along. No one seems to notice when I stumble over parts of the song. As we sing the last verse Carlos makes his way out of the office.

"My turn," he shouts! And just like that, we pass most of the evening. I do end up making Carlos a blue gem before we all go home. I use my hope for the future to fuel it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back