1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Manga Rec Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Selias, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Digital_Devil

Digital_Devil Attack and dethrone [YHVH]

Hundred Ghost Stories of My Own Death

It's an ongoing anthology horror series that I enjoy. Each chapter is framed as a ghost story told by Yuma, who has things going in his daily life that we only see slices of as the story goes along. Some of the chapters are really creepy and the art is very good at being creepy and unnerving. If you're a horror fan, it's definitely worth checking out.

2. Arc-on-Fire

Arc-on-Fire I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oyaji (2000) - Completed.

I'll be short with this one: it's grisly in the beginning, simple, but extremely heartwarming.

"Living in poor neighborhoods of Osaka, Kumada watch over his wife and two young children. He is huge and riddled with scars and he works hard, smokes and drinks of sake as if it were mere water, gruff and scary, he talks little. But Kumada deeply loves his family and will protect it at the peril of his life when members of a yakuza clan set on fire to his house to facilitate a real estate transaction. Jailed for the murder of those who failed to burn his people alive, Kumada was released fifteen years later and found his family. He will have to face the distrust of his children who know nothing of their father except that he had abandoned them. But he is determined to regain control of their education, starting with his son, a urchin abused by the tough guys of the district."

3. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

4. Digital_Devil

Digital_Devil Attack and dethrone [YHVH]

Bibliomania

This is an incredibly short (12 chapters) but kind of unhinged read. It's about a girl named Alice showing up in a room and a snake explaining to her that all her desires will be fulfilled inside this room. If she leaves her room her body will start to rot, and the father away she gets the more the rot spreads. She decides she wants to leave. Her room is 431 and her goal is room 000. The artwork is fantastic and since the rooms cater to any whim of the occupant the artist gets really creative. The detail in not only the rooms themselves but how Alice rots as she makes her way through the rooms is amazing. Definitely worth a read if you've got an hour to kill.

Somebody likes this.
  5. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Pseudo Harem.

It's... uh. It's a romance manga about acting.
    It's one of the few i've seen that doesn't fuck about with 'Will they or won't they' and doesn't bother with cliffhangers.

Also, it handles the entire 'graduation' scene in an absolutely perfect way.
    The boy is a year older than the girl. So he's going to graduate a year early.
    You have a whole chapter about how they're both worried about being split up by him going to uni and her being in highschool and they both state their resolve to stay together no matter what it takes...

And then they walk out of the school gates and he goes "Don't you have half-days all this week? Wanna hang out at my place?"
    Because he's not moving to another fucking country or something. They've been visiting each-other's houses all this time. Of course they can just hang out whenever they want. It was stupid for them to even think that they couldn't.

They do the same thing again when it comes to the "Will she join him at uni after she graduates or will she follow her dream to become an actress?" and they have a big scene where she tearfully says that she'll give up on being an actress for love and he says that she doesn't have to and he'll wait for her...

And then it cuts to her at the university entrance ceremony, because she's a teenaged actress who's claim to fame is a short film made in highschool.
    She's not fucking flying out to Hollywood.
    She had a photoshoot for a magazine and auditioned for a TV show. They didn't even take up a whole day.
    She has plenty of time for university while she searches for roles.

evildice, ZipLopz, Faralis and 3 others like this.
  6. Secret Secretion

Secret Secretion Hi!

evildice likes this.
  7. Secret Secretion

Secret Secretion Hi!

Tedama ni Toritai Kurokiya-san is an absolute delight. A gyaru girl finds herself interested in a very forthright guy who's tutoring her. She wants to tease him into falling for her, but as the boy has absolutely no brakes, her flirting tends to backfire and fluster her instead. Complete.

Spill it, Cocktail Knights! has an interesting background. The series was canceled, but the mangaka was unfazed and is continuing to publish on Twitter. Very interactive, he'll respond to English fans.
    The best friend of a crossdressing Magical Girl is the only normal person who knows her secret. She doesn't know her secret is blown, but she'll happily tease him for being a fan of her alter-ego. This is a lovely romcom, with a good mixture of sweet and horny.

Somebody and evildice like this.
  8. Somebody

Somebody Experienced.

Here's one: Kemono Giga.

MangaDex Summary:
    Yashima is a city of 2 halves. Upper Yashima is where the humans safely live in their homes without much threat or worry. Lower Yashima on the other hand, is where humans who aren't so lucky live alongside the half beast-like beings known as kemono, and creatures known as makatsuhi. Creatures without any emotions or signs of intelligence that seem to function purely on instinct, and prey on humans and kemono alike. The only thing protecting humans from makatsuhi are the kemono of Zero Squad. A special class within Akatsuki Academy that gathers up kemono with special powers and trains them on how to use their powers to protect the humans and kemono alike from the threat of the makatsuhi. The problem is that humans see kemono as dangerous beasts just like the makatsuhi. Yuu is a human who has always had impossibly bad luck wherever he goes. On his way to a new school, he gets kidnapped by kemono who hold a grudge against humans, gets attacked by a makatsuhi, and is helped by a kemono named Riko. The next thing he realizes, Yuu has been transferred into Zero Squad and is forced to learn to fight.

This is the story of Zero Squad and their battle to find their place in a world that sees them as a threat.

TL;DR: Ridiculous Crime-Magnet teenager joins High-School Superpowered Furries and Scalies desperately needing to justify not getting a 9mm lobotomy by acting as government-sponsored kill squads to keep local monster populations low.

Why am I reccing it: 1) Good art.
    2) Good Plot.
    3) Monsters that are actually monstrous.
    4) Implications of somebody ripping off Hitler (it's fine, the plagiarist is both an asshole and someone whom Hitler would've given a sharp nod of approval for the shape of his beliefs, before attempting to conduct an aforementioned 9mm lobotomy and getting brutally torn apart).

evildice likes this.
  9. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

This little manga called "My Home Hero"

It's an absolutely brilliant blend of mystery, criminal mind games and wholesome.

The basic premise is that a middle-aged salary man struggling to connect with his daughter, overhears his beloved daughter's current boyfriend talking on the phone. Turn out, he's an absolute yakuza scumbag, and says on the phone how he's going to kill the man's daughter, just like he killed several other young women already.

So, the middle-aged salary man kills him, and using his amateurish knowledge from being a mediocre mystery novel writer, disposes of the body.

Of course, the yakuza know he's connected with the disappearance of the young guy. Then it's all about mind games, trickery, and trying to outsmart each other as the yakuza try to find a culprit to blame the death of one of them on someone, and the middle aged guy tries just to protect his family.

It's like a mix of Death Note and Breaking Bad, but wholesome. Heartily recommended.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    Imabot and Secret Secretion like this.
  10. Endless Sorcerer

Endless Sorcerer Experienced.

The anime adaptation is currently airing too.

Guardian Box likes this.
  11. Guardian Box

Oh shit really? Is it any good?

12. Endless Sorcerer

Endless Sorcerer Experienced.

I've only seen the first couple episodes and haven't read the manga.

Couldn't really tell.

13. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Got a new rec

Eiyuu to Kenja no Tensei Kon
    Reincarnated • The Hero Marries the Sage ~After Becoming Engaged to a Former Rival, We Became the Strongest Couple~

Yes, yes, I know. An average-looking Isekai given the title, Mega? What the fuck? But I'll point out it's not a isekai from modern Japan like usual.

Also, the first chapter is like, ridiculously good. And the chapters after are funny. Artist do good on faces. Not much so far, but I damn hope the manga remain good.

Guardian Box, Biofan09 and evildice like this.
  14. evildice

Diabetes risk level: HONEY-GLAZED DONUTS.

This is a damn cute couple.

AckSed likes this.
  15. Guardian Box

My finely honed weeb instincts are screaming at me that there's a fifty-fifty chance of the story continuing being great, or shitting itself completely in the next few chapters.

Imabot likes this.
  16. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

I wish I could give a stronger recommendation for Hello, Melancholic!, but it’s still worth a read. It’s… let’s say, heavily inspired by Bocchi - introverted musician getting lured into a band by an extroverted cutie - but it’s much shorter, and ends with the two of them actually hooking up. The one problem I have is that it ends too early, going right for an epilogue instead of letting us see them as a couple. But hey, it does tell a full story in fourteen chapters, which a lot of manga fail to do after ten times that many.

evildice likes this.
  17. DestyNova

DestyNova Getting sticky.

Mermaid Princess's Guilty Meal

Run The Little Mermaid through a horror filter

18. evildice

https://mangadex.org/title/e83c326b-921b-45ff-bc0c-d667bbfe64cc/kanojo-mo-kanojo

Kanojo mo Kanojo

Boy with crush on girl A gets confessed to by girl B, so he comes up with the creative solution of two-timing -- but only with both girls' fully informed consent.

It has the energy of a crack shitpost but played entirely straight. They say a joke punchline, then take it seriously in the narrative, over and over again.

Ended recently; last chapter has been translated & posted.

It was quite fun if you like that energy.

19. AckSed

AckSed I trust you know where the happy button is?

Kanojo mo Kanojo also features Saki as the 'first' girl, for whom the term "bisexual disaster" was never more fitting.

Berserk869, Biofan09 and evildice like this.
  20. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

[​IMG]

Dark Summoner to Dekiteiru is fun.

It's a jrpg-themed fantasy story about a devil summoning black-magic user and a priest, and the futile struggle to stop constantly thinking about sex.

21. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

How did that post claim it was an isekai?

22. evildice

Wrong tab, my bad!

23. AckSed

Non-lewd, but really damn fascinating: Dinosaurs Sanctuary.

The story goes that a breeding population of dinosaurs was found on a remote island and brought back to be the star of the zoos, until a tragedy occurred and the popularity of dinosaurs plummeted, leaving smaller zoos who had taken on these exotic animals struggling for funds. This is where our main character Suzu enters the story, taking a job at said zoo because she's really into them.

One-half Aquatope On White Sand, one-half illustrated guide to the care and feeding of extinct species, it's meticulously well-researched (the consulting paleontologist has a section in the back of each volume outlining his findings on, say, why Triceratops might have sat like a cat). Recommended.

Secret Secretion likes this.
  24. asdfzxc920

asdfzxc920 Making the rounds.

I have a bunch of good ones that haven't been mentioned yet:

Girls und Panzer: Ribbon no Musha
    It's Girls und Panzer, but with actually good writing. The fight scenes are relatively grounded and believable, the characters come up with some genuinely clever plans (which the anime then ripped off), and in general all of the characters feel a lot less one-dimensional. Also it's extremely lewd, holy shit.
    Completed.

Do Chokkyuu Kareshi x Kanojo
    Mangadex sums it up pretty well: "Meet Shinichi Honda and Mako Wakamiya. One’s a boy, and the other’s a girl. But both don’t hesitate to say exactly what’s on their mind IN CAPITAL LETTERS."
    It's short, hilarious, and generally one of the best non-harem romcoms I've ever come across.
    Completed.

Solte the Traveler
    High fantasy Roadside Picnic. Our protagonists are on a quest to reach the center of a magical wasteland full of reality-warping anomalies and strange artifacts, while being pursued by an elite military squad. Only a few chapters are out, but it's pretty great so far and the author (Mizukami Satoshi) has an amazing track record.
    Ongoing.

Melancholia
    A short-story collection by Dowman Seyman (Voynich Motel, Nickelodeon, Oddman 11). I... really can't explain exactly why this is so amazing without spoiling the whole thing, unfortunately.
    Completed.

Hakumei and Mikochi
    A slice-of-life manga about tiny lesbians in a tiny town full of talking bugs and rodents. Extremely comfy, and has some beautiful art.
    Ongoing, licensed.

Murcielago
    A serial killer and her little girl sidekick are hired by the police to hunt down and kill all the other serial killers. It's packed with gory action, and almost every arc begins and/or ends with an explicit sex scene.
    Ongoing, licensed.

Guns and Stamps
    A story about supply officers in alt-history WW2. In the course of their duties, they have to put up with corrupt officers, increasingly sketchy equpment, enemy raids, resistance fighters, and more...
    Completed in Japanese. The English translation is about halfway done and may or may not be abandoned.

The Dragon, The Hero, The Courier
    Pretty much the same premise as above, but with couriers in a generic fantasy setting. The writing's a bit more formulaic, but it makes up for it with some really good fanservice and fast updates.
    Ongoing.

25. Secret Secretion

Secret Secretion Hi!

Seconding. It's absolutely incredible how funny two incredibly straightforward people giving it their all can be.

evildice likes this.
  26. AckSed

I have found the most pervy manga by a female author since A Devious Eguchi-kun and Eguchi-kun Doesn't Miss A Thing.

The Method to Open Her Lock is an early work by the manga-ka responsible for How to Discipline Shishunki-chan. It's wild.

It reads like she read Maison Ikkoku, ate a fistful of aphrodisiacs and drew everything that flowed out, even as her other hand was busy elsewhere; in the first chapter we've got boobs and bare kitty, with main girl Chitose developing an exhibitionism fetish her first day at school and subsequently having to retreat to the toilets. Does our male lead Haruma try to be a nice guy? No he does not. In fact he tries to get closer, confesses in the second chapter... but he's also a randy teen and it's a romcom, so it's at the worst time.

When I got to Chapter 3, and the spiked drinks and the non-con yuri, I knew I was in for a ride.

Edit: as of Ch. 11, we've had (literally sweet) omorashi, body-pillow frigging and now smell and sniffing fetish, on top of a steady stream of panty shots, no-panty shots, poky nipples and soft, inviting cleavage and thighs. Nakata Yumi is truly cultured.

Edit edit: Ch. 37 and Chitose's older sister reveals what the basics of high-school relationships are: hotdogging zettai ryouko before jizzing on the tights, and eyeball licking.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  27. Amazon Climber

Officially sold on the series after Chapter 5. You know, when he romantically lets her piss in his cupped hands.

28. Amazon Climber

Quality Assurance In Another World is basically Sword Art Online written by someone who read the complaints about SAO being designed by an idiot, then said ‘hold my beer.’ And it’s glorious. I mean, it’s not a one-for-one match; they have no idea why their logout button disappeared, how to get it back, or what happens if they die or suffer one of the fates worse than death a glitchy game can impose on a player. But I’d call that a strength rather than a weakness. Plus, the main character cheeses the threats he’s facing rather than trying to fight them like a fantasy character, starting with killing a giant dragon by stunlocking it with explosive barrels, and only keeps going from there.

29. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I keep hearing that this is good, but I went to check it out and it was mid, but then I hear this... and that doesn't sound like what I read at all?

Is it Kono Sekai ga Game da to, Ore dake ga Shitteiru
    By Usber?

Cos that's the only thing that comes up when I search 'quality assurance' on my usual manga site.
    On another site there's Kono Sekai wa Fukanzen Sugiru, by SATOU Masamichi, but there's zero chapters available.

Ugh, all these isekai with similar names, and the translations of the names to english jumble them enough that it's hard to tell which is which.

Amazon Climber likes this.
  30. Secret Secretion

Secret Secretion Hi!

I will never pass up the opportunity to recommend Only I Know This World is a Game! The LN is better than the manga in my opinion, but it's manga enough to count for the thread. Pick a bug, any bug, New Communicate Online has it. Kill an NPC, not only will it wreck your quest, it'll wreck your save file, and the NPC won't even have the decency to stay dead. No, they weren't resurrected, they're just badly coded. If you see their ghosts, just pay your respects. There's misspellings, weapons in the wrong weapon types, skill hitboxes that overlap with the person using them, weapons and enemies coded with incorrect values... New Communicate Online isn't even an online game, they just thought MMOs were popular, tried it, flubbed it, and then sold it as a single-player game. It's a very funny read, especially the wiki sections detailing bugs.