• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Mettle [Worm AU]

Interludes for 4, and 5. Can't change your votes. Choose wisely!

• Cherie [4]

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Kismet [4]

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Rey [4]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sarah [4]

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Coil [5]

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • The Butcher [5]

• Francis [5]

• Catcher [5]

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We here at Barnes, Hess, and Clements strive to set new standards in the fields of: Harassment, escaping consequences, blatant abuse of others, misuse of authority, slander, libel and our newly developed field of traumatizing individuals so badly they develop super powers. Barnes, Hess, and Clements has a combined three years of experience in the field and combines leading target research with expert backlash protection in the legal and social areas, alongside cart-Blanche use of Parahuman assets to enhance results.

Barnes, Hess, and Clements is not responsible for any backlash, blow-back, Carrie activity, acute cases of death, Megadeaths, dimensional/planetary destruction events or other consequences for engaging our services. Barnes, Hess, and Clements makes no claim to legality of services, all culpability is assumed by the client. Barnes, Hess, and Clements is an associate of Winged One LLC.

<3

Assuming for a moment that Winslow isn't actively malicious and that the trio have been meticulous about not leaving evidence... Good luck, Sophie.

Even just more like leaning in favour of the trio by having possibly a little unfairly strict evidence requirements and ignoring a bit of what little they do show would leave them badly off.

Not really two ways to interpret someone being punched in the face repeatedly while pinned to the ground, kinda clear cut there.

"Sophia Hess!"

Then, it stopped. I leaned over to look. Hey, it was the Principal herself. Nice.

Letting my head rest against the floor, I slowly spoke through fattened lips. "Hello, Principal Blackwell."
....Barnes, Hess, and Clements categorically refuses to take up lost causes.

Because that is entirely inescapable. The only way out for Sophia would be to cry Cape and try to claim Taylor had attacked her first, using a power to attack a Ward is a big freaking deal after all. But that's an insanely risky tack for Sophia to take, even if Piggot might give Hebert the hard sell, Sophia will be at best be only clipped by the bus.
Assuming for a moment that Winslow isn't actively malicious and that the trio have been meticulous about not leaving evidence... Good luck, Sophie.
Exactly. Sophia dun goofed.

And if Blackwell does try to bury this like everything else, that's going to be the meteor hammer that broke the camels back. It'd be the kind of experience with her in this (clearly combative) head-space she's at right now where you read about it in the paper later and shudder in hopes the Slaughter House Nine doesn't notice it. Or at least put a broad-head bolt into any remaining empathy or care for adults/authority other then her dad that still lives inside Taylor.

So... from Blackwells perspective, I think this would be the time to call the PRT contact and throw this bucket of shit their way to sort out. Call it 'above my pay grade' or something because physical violence in the halls against non-gang affiliated students is just plain over the line.

Edit: and now I can go to sleep happy because I got another chunk of a lovely story today!

No, Sophia would be flipped by the bus of revealing Taylor, and promptly hit by the other one of the bullying to cause trigger and using her powers to break into Taylor's home. Meanwhile what? Taylor gets put into the wards with a token probation while they have to do some training on the right and wrong place to user her power?

Sophia was sent to the hospital. Apparently, her hand was broken, and it was hard to answer questions while her metacarpals were close to breaking skin. I think they were just trying to get away from her.

She had seemed fine enough when fighting me, but I couldn't really argue that point. All I had felt from my face was a light tingling, burning sensation. Now it ached, and I was pretty sure I looked even worse than I felt.

"Taylor attacked me,-" Her face was a grimace of pain as she turned around, slowly getting off of me while lying smoothly. "She broke my hand."

I laughed. Probably not the best course of action, considering. Sophia wasn't even lying. I had attacked her, after a fashion. My forehead and hoodie, deadly weapons. Heh. I really wasn't sure what to say, and Sophia took full advantage of it. I didn't care too much.

"She's fucking crazy. Tried to take my books." Her wince of pain looked pretty real.

Sophia wasn't saying that I had powers, though. She had to know. Why not say it?

I had put the bare minimum into defending myself.

"Youw're full of shet." I was surprised at how much I had to focus on words to say them. "Punched me. Your fault."

Better. Sophia glared at me. Principal Blackwell made a call on her phone.

So, I sat in the Principal's office. My father had been called. I had been given a pack of ice to hold against my face. It burned, in a more pleasant fashion. If I melded ice together with something, could I make it melt?

Things made more sense. Emma had left me because she wanted to be a cape groupie. Sophia got Emma, I got Greg. It didn't quite seem fair. Did I have to kill a few people to get that sort of leverage? Sophia was a "hero".

Yeah. What a bunch of laughs. Sophia being a hero was amusing in the same way that dead baby jokes were funny. The shock value was great. Just like dead babies.

But it also meant I was in pretty serious danger. She was vindictive, and willing to kill. What did that mean for me? She was willing to invade my home, and target my things. Would she go after Dad, next?

What could I do to shut her down?

I could kill her. That was an option. If she was dead, she wouldn't be able to go after Dad. Reporting her to the PRT seemed useless, if they weren't already aware of her conduct. I hadn't really felt too much when she'd broken her hand on my face. Mild satisfaction? Pride that my strategy had worked, maybe?

I was somewhat worried about not being worried about it. I could join up with the Wards? I had already been looking into it. What would that do? Oversight didn't seem very good.

I wanted to laugh in Blackwell's face. Her bowl cut was ridiculous. Deciding against it was a chore, but I managed.

"Miss Hebert. Are you alright?" She asked, not unkindly.

"Mm." My eloquent rebuttal didn't seem to phase her, so she went ahead and kept speaking.

"Your father will be here shortly. Would you like to talk about the events that happened?" She glanced at her computer, typing. Maybe I could catch them if I paid attention.

"I want my flute back." I said, carefully arranging my words over my lips. I was tempted to chew on them because of how fat and numb they felt.

"Excuse me?" She said, taken aback.

"I want my flute back. Sophia took it. I want it back." I raised my voice. What could I meld together? Could I meld computers? She had some plaques on the walls. I could probably meld those within a few seconds.

"Is that why you started the fight? Because you thought Sophia had taken your flute?" She made a sympathetic face while tapping away at her computer. Tap, tap, tap.

If I combined keys, would I be able to make different letters appear? Could I make more than one appear at the same time? "I didn't start that fight."

"Of course you didn't. Could you tell me what happened from your perspective?" She smiled. I didn't like her smile, it reminded me of Mr. Gladly.

"Sophia wanted to know what I had said to the teachers about her bullying me." It was getting easier to speak properly. "She threw me against a locker, and I headbutted her."

"Okay. At what point did you break her hand?" Her voice was calm. I didn't like it. I didn't like her.

I considered lying, saying that she punched a locker and missed my face. It was most likely a more "realistic" answer, given that she'd essentially done something quite similar. What were the alternatives? Hey, by the by, I'm a parahuman. Good way to get dragged in on questioning. Assaulting a Ward, was that a criminal offense if they assaulted you first? I didn't know enough law, and the lawyer I had known was not one talking about parahuman law.

"She must have punched something. I didn't notice what it was. I think I heard the bones breaking." I avoided the question, "Am I going to get punished for her injuring herself?"

Principal Blackwell paused typing, looking at me. "Winslow has a zero tolerance policy. Sophia will be suspended for one week, and you will also be suspended for one week. You could press charges, if you wanted. So could she. You might have to be held back a year, so I'm hesitant to put any more punishments in place that might exacerbate that."

Translation: I really want you out of my school. Please graduate already.

It was amusing how I had gone from almost skipping a grade to being what was swiftly becoming a delinquent. It was funny how the teachers enjoyed me asking questions in middle school, and now teachers looked at me with disappointment, if at all.

I couldn't even make a joke about the zero tolerance policy. It managed to do stand up all on its own, and attract an audience.

We waited there, her tapping away at the keyboard. I sat there, thinking about things I could infuse with my power, holding the ice pack to my face. If I put a pillow and an ice pack together, would it stay cold if I made it be cold? Wherever it went, would it start melting? Random thoughts about my power, because nothing I had really mattered too much aside from Dad. Could I meld humans together? Could I make Sophia Hess a better person? Was it even possible to make her a better person? I tentatively decided it was not.

I heard, rather than saw my Dad come in. His angry voice carried. The secretary attempted to talk to him, and he discussed the finer points of her responsibility in not defending me. Or bowled her over with his controlled fury. One of the two.

He was directed to the office, and entered, closing the door carefully behind him. His actions did not belie his anger, but his face did. He looked at my face, and cringed. Was it at shame, or did it look that bad? "Please sit down, Mr. Hebert. Your daughter got in a fight with Sophia Hess."

"One of the bullies." I supplied, my voice low. I gave him my hand, and his hand was trembling. He slowly sat, gripping my fingers with his own.
"One of?" She glanced at me. Tik tak, away at the keyboard.

I hesitated. Emma was still my friend, in Dad's eyes. She was someone who could be trusted to look out for me, we were as intimate as best friends got, where sleeping over at each other's houses and maybe we'd drifted away a little in high school, but that wasn't that big, right? She'd still cover for me.

"Madison Clements and Emma Barnes." I murmured.

Dad's anger was gone from his face, but his hand trembled even more. "Emma? Taylor?"

Confusion had replaced it, along with quite a bit of shock.

"Yeah. Sorry. Since camp. That's why we haven't talked." I threw out the words piecemeal, trying to force my way through them. "Sorry."

"No, it's- It's okay. Sorry for not noticing. For not asking." He used his free hand to rub at his face.

"So, your claims are that Emma Barnes, Sophia Hess, and Madison Clements have been bullying you?" Blackwell interrupted, frowning. "All stellar students, in their ways. I can see Sophia, she has been in my office for detentions often enough, but I will need proof for the others."

I belatedly wondered if Sophia had left my folder of evidence alone. There was a fat laugh waiting to happen.

"No. No evidence," I said, staring back at her.

"Then I apologize, but I am unable to take action. If you report future incidents, we can take things further. Until then, however, you and Sophia are suspended for the week." Tak, tak tak. Click. She was done.

"So my daughter gets a suspension for defending herself?" Dad's voice was incredulous, anger welling up again.

"As I said over the phone, Sophia's hand is broken. My hands are tied, Mr. Hebert. If you want to call the police, or bring up charges, you can do so. I do not recommend it." There was a tinge of warning in her voice. Oh. She knew.

"I know some people in the media. I think they'd be real happy-"

"That's fine. Thanks for your help, Principal Blackwell." My father blinked at me as I stood, offering my hand to her. Blackwell looked at me oddly. At least she was looking at me. She shook my hand cautiously, and then I turned back to Dad.

"Can we go, Dad?" I squeezed his hand, looking at him with a frown. It probably didn't come across very well.

He frowned. "Alright. Okay."

We walked out of the school together, my steps a little more awkward with the ice held over my eye. It would be a hard talk. I asked him if we could get ice cream. He said yes.

Last edited:
This is where things will start diverging significantly from canon in a lot of aspects.

This is where things will start diverging significantly from canon in a lot of aspects.
Yeah, no kidding.

About the best outcome at this point is that, with the dam broken, Taylor can just tell her dad... everything. Even the power. I mean, at this point the only thing that has value in her life is her father, and thanks to Sophia being willing to kill and the PRT/Protectorate not being willing to intervene, the only things that can defend Danny are Taylor and himself. Meaning he needs to know. He needs to know that Sophia has powers, is willing to kill. Needs to know that Taylor knows that because of her own power letting her have insight into the matter. He needs to know that the PRT/Protectorate have clearly (as Taylor sees it, reality may/does differ) just been allowing this to happen, so that he doesn't go running to them like a good little citizen.

As things stand, Sophia is hurt, her combat ability impaired by the damage to her hand. She's not likely to make a strike immediately, but it's clear that Taylor's home isn't safe from intrusion by Sophia. With her knowledge of the electrical weakness it might be possible to make this no longer true, but even then, her father has work. At the very least, setting up something so Taylor's and Danny's rooms aren't vulnerable to Sophia phasing in to slit their throats while they sleep sounds like a good plan to me.

But then, an ice cream parlor isn't exactly the best place to discuss things like that.

Hell, the most effective response would probably be to tell Danny and then head to the press with the whole thing, take the offensive before the PRT/Protectorate can really start covering their asses or Sophia can recover to make a strike. Sure the PRT/Protectorate will be pissed, but fuck them. Once Danny is a public figure in this case, the PRT/Protectorate will be obligated to defend him from Sophia.

Gonna be honest, I'm thrilled that Taylor got out what she did here. It's the most productive thing she's managed to do about it, and opens the path to potentially getting Danny as a proper supportive relationship in her life again.

1.X (Piggot)
1.X

Emily Piggot hated her job. Paperwork. Loose sheafs on her desk, one or two pieces had fallen onto the floor. It was a disorganized mess, and she stolidly worked her way through it. Skimming where necessary, stamping, signing off, always more.

The windows were something she enjoyed wiping down, every so often. It was a ritual of monotony, to get away from her work. Perhaps "enjoyed" was too strong a word, but it was something "productive" that wasn't reading over the newest sequence of events that she played no part in. The windows were pristine, so she didn't have a real excuse right now.

Emily also enjoyed the brief moments where she could get up and play with her office golf set. The putter was right next to the 4 iron, and she ran her hand over each with a smirk. For now though, it was back to work, so she looked at her desk from the other side. It was harrowing in its effort to be deeply uninteresting. A frown pushed its way on her face as she picked up the mug.

But, her fingers rubbed at the cup's surface and she smiled in spite of herself.

'I RATE YOU BELOW THE COFFEE MACHINE', stated the mug in blue, bold letters against a grey background. Clockblocker was a good kid. A nightmare for public relations. He'd definitely regret his name in two years or so. She briefly pondered on the potential rebranding opportunities for him, but gave up almost immediately. That was their job. Not hers.

Her job was just to apologize for that bit of stupidity when it had happened, and bring down the wrath of god. Or something like it.

It was more like it when it came to Shadow Stalker, and she grimaced as she sat back down, trying not to think of how it would have been so much easier to simply let her go a bit too far a few more times. The public opinion would have protected her far less, she wouldn't have gotten that lawyer, and she wouldn't have the damned girl on her hands. Why couldn't she be like Vista or Gallant? Even New Wave was better than this.

It was a poison pill and a media circus waiting to happen. Armsmaster agreed, but Shadow Stalker did "good work", and was smart enough to stay in the media's eye when she did so. A villain here, saving civilians there. She was a bit brutal in takedowns sometimes, but nothing that could be construed as excessive force.

Shadow Stalker showed up promptly to her psych sessions. It was suspected she was simply telling them what they wanted to hear, to some extent. However, there was some element of cooperation involved. Perhaps she was making strides. She doubted it.

Emily concentrated back on her work, casting Shadow Stalker out of her mind. A report on the Undersiders here, a report on E88 making another push. The Merchants appeared to be taking more territory as well.

She missed Recon and Patriot.

They had been transferred a few months to Austin, after Hoyden died in an attack. Things were getting worse in Chicago, too.

They were essential to bringing in Shadow Stalker without a fight. Crime had gone down, and had gone back up when they had announced their departure. Armsmaster had been left scrambling, forced to change his routine and work twice as hard. He didn't complain, he never did. It kind of pissed Emily off. She wished he would complain. It would make her feel infinitely better.

He probably just complained to Dragon.

Too many lovebirds for her liking. Back to work.

The work was annoying. The normal government of the city shoveled responsibility whenever they could. It wasn't their fault, it was SWAT's fault. No, no, it wasn't SWAT's fault, it was the PRT's fault.

That was the majority of the work, saying, 'No, this is not our fault, please take this, shove it back to your superiors, and take care of it.'

Time-consuming and just plain rude. She returned the favor, brusquely replying in each circumstance. Tapping away at her keyboard.

Her phone buzzed.

Legend:
Are we still on? If you're busy, we can reschedule.

She knew he was being polite. Politeness, meant more for her benefit than his. She could hear it in his voice, not wheedling, not blaming, but calm and friendly. Even though it would be a huge inconvenience to him, he'd do it if she asked.

The man was a walking stereotype. Sometimes it irritated her. Kindness, physique, intelligence. If he didn't have powers, he'd still somehow be a beautiful icon. The thought that she outranked him was a farce, and one he never breached or pushed, because he was nice. Sometimes she wished she didn't know him, so she didn't have to try measuring up.

But the rest of the time she was very glad to call him her friend.

Emily:
No, you won't be imposing. I'm just doing grunt work anyway.

She opened the window, leaving a handprint she would clean up later. Within thirty seconds, Legend was there, waiting for permission. She rolled her eyes, waving him in. "Let's get lunch. I'm tired of trying to work my way through this."

"That sounds good. Are we eating out, or in the cafeteria?" He smiled at her, and she chuckled.

"I'll get indian next time. This time, the cafeteria." It was a routine for them. They never did end up eating out, although Legend had brought baked goods from Arthur, and she'd had to reciprocate. All very hush-hush, of course. If one of the most morally upright people in America, if not the most upright, were to be seen giving Director Emily Piggot dewberry tarts, there could be rumors.

And that would be terrible.

They ate together, talking about heroes. She asked him how Recon and Patriot were doing. Still making time for each other? He nodded, smiling. One of the success stories of the Wards, back in their formation.

She mentioned the increased rate in crime, he talked about ways to help out. For a moment, he looked tired. Emily picked up on it, changing the subject.

How was Keith doing? Was he doing well with Arthur? What was his favorite food? Idle chatter, that was a safe spot to avoid the stresses of work.

He answered gratefully, cheeks creasing in a smile as he talked about how Keith was so ready for school, and had really loved the snickerdoodles. She waved a hand, said she'd make some more. It was idyllic and a much needed reprieve for them both.

They finished, exchanging hugs before he left, and she had to go back to her grunt work. Another week before they'd meet again.

The stress was already building. Shooting people was easier than this shit. More time, spent trying to figure out what was their jurisdiction, what was their jurisdiction, except when that department could look good off of solving something easy, in which case it was their jurisdiction most definitely.

Then, the email came.

Emily Piggot put her head in her hands, breathing in and out slowly. She rose from her chair, picking up the 4 iron, placing the golf ball down on the turf. She walked to the window, opening it. Carefully, deliberately, she walked back to the ball.

Then, she split the timeline. In two of them, she swung as hard as she could.

In the final one, she walked back to her desk, putting the golf club across her legs. It was childish. She knew that. A waste of her ability.

In one, the ball crashed through a window. In another, a car. Emily delighted in the bit of chaos, the break from monotony and time wasted with bureaucracy. She knew she should feel guilty. Nevertheless, she waited until the timelines collapsed, watching them slowly fade as things began to focus back into a single one.

Wow I did not see that coming. Awesome.
No kidding.

That has so many knock on effect's it's boggling my mind.

Plus it means a story with Coil non-existent (most likely) so that makes things so much more intriguing. And it's all established here by one frustrating moment in Piggot's day. (though I wonder if 'piggy' remains the insulting nickname the Wards have for her...)

Edit: Actually, are the Wards run by Piggot here? Or are they officially under Armsmaster's bailiwick?

A Parahuman Piggot who isn't a colossal bitch? I am intrigued. Did she trigger at Ellisburg or is she a Cauldron cape like Coil.

Splitting the timeline three ways is significant as well, that is potentially quite significant in terms of the usability of the power. However it looks like there may be a time limit to how long the split lasts, which would certainly counter most of the benefits.

Splitting the timeline three ways is significant as well, that is potentially quite significant in terms of the usability of the power. However it looks like there may be a time limit to how long the split lasts, which would certainly counter most of the benefits.
Nevertheless, she waited until the timelines collapsed, watching them slowly fade as things began to focus back into a single one.
Thats another oddity. It 'fades' rather then snapping like a rubber band. For all that, its kinda nice to see Emily getting things handled nicely, it's a rarity.

I'm kinda guessing Legend might have been involved in the timeline changes based on the interaction, but frankly considering their lines of work that's a weak guess.

Only the second Cape Piggot I've seen but the first one I've seen that's had the ability since before the start of the story. Very interested in where you go with this and loving this story a lot so far. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Thats another oddity. It 'fades' rather then snapping like a rubber band. For all that, its kinda nice to see Emily getting things handled nicely, it's a rarity.

I'm kinda guessing Legend might have been involved in the timeline changes based on the interaction, but frankly considering their lines of work that's a weak guess.
Possible explanation.

Calvert dying was the timeline divergence, the extra stress and now stray shard caused Piggot to get the power instead, slightly different naturally but basically the same. How you get from there to friendship with Legend is trickier, but it could result from an increased drive and greater focus on support. Maybe they just sent Legend to help with things going worse with Nilbog and they really met as a result of that?

Oooh.

I likey.

Slightly irritates me that it foreshadows something that's gonna happen in one of my fics, but hey, shit happens.

Temper

I got a mint chocolate milkshake. Dad got a half-pint of something called fishbait. Came with gummy worms, so it was funny. I even smiled.

We went back in the car to eat. Well, I slurped. And talk.

Dad wasn't happy. That was a given.

He did, however, wait until I finished my smoothie, and he finished his ice cream. I asked for and received a gummy worm.

We sat there, the AC blowing. It was hard to figure out where to start. It terrified me, to think of what he'd say. When it had happened, when I had realized it, I thought I could put it off until later.

Why not? It wasn't like it was too important. I hadn't gone out or anything. I hadn't done anything with my power. Then, things were stressful for him at work. So I hadn't told him then. I didn't want to tell him now, either. Would he be disappointed in me? Would he hate me for what had happened? Had he noticed that I'd lost the flute?

Had he noticed what had happened to my room that night?

It just wasn't the right time to tell him. It never would be, and I could keep putting it off, and off. And then what if something bad happened? I, well, shit.

I opened my mouth, then closed it.

Dad held his hand out for the smoothie cup. He took it. "Take as long as you need, Taylor. I'll listen to whatever you have to say."

He stepped outside, and I watched him walk to the trash can, throwing the plastic and paper away.

I took off my hooded sweatshirt. I felt hot, prickly, itchy.

The door opened, and he entered once more, sitting down next to me.

I was surprised how much emotion was in my voice when I spoke. "Dad?"

"Yes?" He replied. His voice was calm. I couldn't tell if he was angry or not, and I wiped tears away.

"They stole Mom's flute. I'm sorry." Tears welled up, and I just couldn't stop them. "I'm sorry."

"I figured it might be something like that." His voice was sad, he was staring down at his splayed hands. "I'm sorry for not noticing. I called Gram. I thought we might have left it there. Before."

His lips cracked into an awkward smile. "She sure chewed me out."

"Mm." I couldn't really laugh, I knew she despised him. Made him feel like crap whenever she talked to him. Mom had threatened to cut contact, and it had gotten better. She couldn't do that anymore, so it got worse. I doubt that's what Mom wanted, but those were the facts.

"Why bring that up now? Was that what started the fight?" He questioned me. Coaxed, really. I wasn't really sure where to start all of a sudden, when I'd had all the emotion of a stone with Blackwell.

"I uh-" shit. Shit shit. Okay. This was something I could do. "When they stole the flute, they did things to it. They crushed it, bent it. I think they threw it in some kind of rotting trash and let it sit there. I begged Emma to return it." I watched his face, and the telltale signs of anger showed. Of course.

Dad looked up at the ceiling of the car, and breathed in and out. He repeated the process, then looked back down. His brows were pressed together, his hands were in fists, but he slowly unclenched them and spoke. "I'd like to call Alan and tell him about this."

"Please, dad. I, I need to do this." I held the sweatshirt out to him. "Can you hold this?"

He was puzzled. Understandably. It seemed like a leadup to a bad punchline. "Uh, sure. What, like this?"

It took him a moment to realize that the sweatshirt wasn't moving. Then, it collapsed inward on itself, and it was cold against his fingertips. Then, the sleeve weighed as much as the amount of metal in it. Then normal.

He stared down at it. I looked at my lap as well, fingers fidgeting. I didn't really want to see his face. At least the first bombshell was over with.

"You have powers?" His voice was a raspy croak. I curled my legs up against my chest, wrapping my arms around them.

"Yeah." I said, into my knees. "They gave it back to me, and I fainted. I woke up at the nurse's office. I took it home, cleaned it, and hid it."

The grossly oversimplified explanation was easier. "I kept trying to figure out how I could fix it, and I kind of- knew? I could combine things. I could make them be like the other things they were combined with. It was easier when they were similar, so I melted candles together and used them as a sort of model."

They were emergency candles, and I think that qualified.

"Things calmed down for a bit. They toned it down. I- I thought maybe they'd started to leave me alone. I wanted to be a hero, so I started getting metal, and making kind of armor. I can make the armor weightless, so I figured I could use, uh, metal from wherever. The junkyard. And stuff." There was a rusty cast iron pan in the sweatshirt, moulded like clay into a really awful breastplate.
"Then, I got some notes. Someone knew I had powers, and told me to meet them at one in the morning. In the docks." I hugged my legs tighter. "I went."

The glance at his face was a bad idea. Dawning comprehension followed by irritation.

"They broke into my room while I was gone. Sophia did. She broke all my school stuff. They stole the notebook I was using to plan, and the flute. Again." I paused, and he took it as the end of the story.

"I didn't hear a thing-"

"Sophia is Shadow Stalker, Dad." I interrupted him, wanting to get the last bit out. "She knows and she's killed people before."

"Killed?" His voice wasn't exactly filled with belief. "Are you sure?"

As sure as mystical glass-shard-shadow-vision makes me.

"My power also lets me, uh, see things. I could almost feel them. I saw her dropping someone off a roof. Shooting people with a crossbow. I think it only works on people with powers." Hey Dad I can kind of read minds of people with superpowers kind of you know who also does that yeah the Simurgh so we're basically best buddies.

"You're sure?"

Yeah the shadow spectre lady had some handy dandy slideshows while I was getting punched by Sophia's good hand. Fuck. I really didn't want to ruin this conversation. I felt like closing down, I just wanted to cover myself up, and be behind something.

If I did that, though, what would I do? Sophia might go after my dad. She might come after me. I had to tell him.

"Yeah. Pretty sure. I really think she's a gigantic sociopath or psychopath or whatever it is. She's crazy." Letting my legs go, I pointed at my sweatshirt. "That's, uh, how she broke her hand. She punched me, and hit the hood. I made it act like the metal that's in there."

Surprisingly, he smiled. "I'm glad. I'm not glad that you didn't tell me about this beforehand. I'm not glad that you didn't tell me immediately when this happened with Emma."

"But I'm glad you're telling me now. I don't want to lose you, Taylor." Dad didn't add the second part. He didn't need to. "Good job defending yourself. What do you want to do about school? I don't know how much a superhero makes, but I want you to get an education."

Superhero.

The word made me feel happy, warm. I could be a superhero.

"Well, I'm suspended for a week. I could uh, catch up on school work." That made him a lot happier, and he was nodding a little. "And I kind of want to find ways to test my power."

Dad admittedly did not look as happy about that. The thought about me testing my powers had led him to the obvious conclusion. "I- I don't want to see you in danger, Taylor."

"What if Sophia comes after me? Or you?" I looked up at him, arms by my side, glasses askew. "I don't want to just let her try to hurt me."

"You're not going to go try fight gangers." That wasn't a question.

"No." I answered, hesitant, hoping. The pause felt like forever, as he sat there, thinking.

"We'll see what we can do. Tell me about your power. Maybe we can come up with some things for it." He opened his arms, turning awkwardly to me. I imitated him, and he hugged me. I melted into it, feeling tension drain. I had missed this.

Dad let me go, he sat back, and I started talking.

Ellisburg wasn't a success, but it wasn't a massacre/routing. Some important capes died, but the evacuation was a lot better overall, courtesy of the founding wards. Emily Piggot was awarded her position after showing heroism in combat. Legend met with her on a semi-regular basis afterward and they struck up a friendship. She asked him out. He turned her down.

Patriot and Recon are Miss Militia and AdministratorChevalier.

At points in canon where Danny tries to talk/listen to Taylor, things become claustrophobic and panicky for her, very quickly. He tries at points, and it's honestly sad to see. This Taylor is more comfortable with enclosed spaces, and doesn't have the support group of the Undersiders.

Ellisburg wasn't a success, but it wasn't a massacre/routing. Some important capes died, but the evacuation was a lot better overall, courtesy of the founding wards. Emily Piggot was awarded her position after showing heroism in combat. Legend met with her on a semi-regular basis afterward and they struck up a friendship. She asked him out. He turned her down.
Did Legend introduce her to Cauldron? "Here's a solid, dependable, good soul that could help us" style? Or did she approach them on her own/did they approach her? So, was Legend not Out already? Or is Fit Piggot just so damn sexy that she thought she had a chance?
Patriot and Recon are Miss Militia and AdministratorChevalier.
Lack of bug name gives me the impression that he's administering something else? Pure thinker, no master aspect? Or did he still get bugs, but that part of it is downplayed?

Legend was not out yet, unless I have my timeline wrong. (Married to Arthur for 6 years in interlude 14.5, Ellisburg happened in 2001,) He absolutely could have come out earlier than that, and it does make sense (I also thought Ellisburg happened earlier than that, for some reason.) but if he did in canon, I'm going to handwave it until it's proven to me. I like that little foible, where he could needle her about it occasionally, but he doesn't, because he's Legend.

Has bugs, slightly different than Taylor's. Picked his name to go with Patriot's, and downplay the bugs.

Has bugs, slightly different than Taylor's. Picked his name to go with Patriot's, and downplay the bugs.
If he can sense and control face mites, the bug aspect can be really down played. Like, to the where no one would know unless he wanted them to. He could even use it to do a passable impression of the Butcher's ability to see blood vessels (in this case, sensing the locations of people) and a decent aiming ability as demonstrated by canon Taylor's "point gun at bug on a person" schtick.

Dad let me go, he sat back, and I started talking.

I do not like to engage in 'chan like behavior' but I am sorely tempted to whip out a 'made of win' picture for this.

Absolutely, totally thrilled at this development and the way it was executed. All my hugs.

Heres an idea for Taylor's armor that I had:

Aerogel - very light weight, heatproof, electrically it's an insulator
Trauma plates from bulletproof vests - take impacts like nothing else
Chain mail - flexible, strong, knife proof

Put together, it's flexible, lightweight, and protects against guns, knives, baseball bats, fire, and lightning.

Heres an idea for Taylor's armor that I had:

Put together, it's flexible, lightweight, and protects against guns, knives, baseball bats, fire, and lightning.
Two problems there with Aerogel. It's a great idea... but we don't know if Bet managed to develop it, and even if they did, how is Taylor going to get any? Sure a little bit of it would go a long way, but the stuff is not easy to make IIRC.

The Trauma plates and Chain mail are both less difficult to find. Chain mail would be roughly what she's implemented right now but definitely see the Trauma plates as a solid potential upgrade. Just keep in mind Trauma plates work by shattering.

We know that the canon Cannonblade could shoot cannonballs, so, at the very least that means that moving parts are a-okay as far as her power is concerned. At the very most, it means that she can affect chemical reactions in objects she's combined.

I can't think of something off the top of my head to take advantage of that, but I'm sure there's some way to munchkin it.

We know that the canon Cannonblade could shoot cannonballs, so, at the very least that means that moving parts are a-okay as far as her power is concerned. At the very most, it means that she can affect chemical reactions in objects she's combined.

I can't think of something off the top of my head to take advantage of that, but I'm sure there's some way to munchkin it.
Chevalier can also enlarge his gear (sixty foot cannonblade, anyone?). So Taylor could actually build a scale model of what she wanted, keep it in her pocket, then bulk it out when needed.

I still think she could also screw over the Trio with merged items that she could let them steal.

Like another flute or something similar, merged with a lit firecracker. The firecracker goes off once it separates itself from the other item, safely in Sophia's backpack.

Remember, combining power?

Flexible and strong are handled much more effectively just merging a normal shirt in, ordinary fabric is easier to get and better than either of those at it really. Strong and knife proof we've already seen is handled great by just using a vaguely armour shaped piece of metal, because thick plate is stronger and much more knife proof than chain mail. Good for taking impacts too, but you could probably merge in a foam suit or something for that more easily, have the merged metal plate make up for the lower strength. That or just merge an actual bulletproof vest in and don't screw around. Lots of things make solid insulators, none of it's too useful without a grounding point, just paper would be far more cost effective as an electrical insulators too.

So that's what, take the current armour and add paper for good electrical insulators and possibly a bulletproof/foam vest for helping impact reduction? But yeah, chain mail and aerogel aren't that easy to get, exploit the combining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back