• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Mixed Family (SFW, SI, Slash) - A Chronicles of Darkness/New World of Darkness 2e Crossover Story.

Interlude Two: Our Dear Crossover Character
Interlude Two: Our Dear Crossover Character

Note:
Avoid this Chapter if you do not know what Fate/Grand Order and the Nasuverse are.

There is a saying: Be careful what you wish for.

The Clock Tower's Magi, on average, are less powerful than the Magi of the Pentacle Orders and their enemies, the Seers of the Throne - Awakened Magi in the Chronicles of Darkness can cast the equivalent of True Magic in their sleep, playing with timelines in ways that CHALDEA can never conceive of, as the rules of the 'Nasuverse' did not permit it.

More importantly, they can resurrect the dead if they are good enough; move souls around between universes - No, sections of one big Multiverse - and then resurrect them, and the most important part of the sales pitch I was given when I was reincarnated was that they were actually invested in the fate of Humanity and many of them want the best possible future for it.

It was only later that I found out that it was only because not only was there no Counter Force protecting Humanity, but the grand majority of Supernatural Forces were hostile to it in some form; there's no grand destiny for Humanity unlike in the Nasuverse, flawed as it was.

And now I am stuck in the Chronicles of Darkness, as 'Prometheus' instead of Kirschtachia Wodime, trapped by my own hubris and the deception of others.

I am more powerful than I ever was as an ordinary Magus in my universe. I have the potential to be even more powerful, enough to exceed the Twelve Lords of the Clock Tower from my own universe, by pursuing the Awakened, Supernal Magic that exists in the Chronicles of Darkness world. But the price is to be part of a society where even the 'good guys' engage in active immorality and boast about it because 'we are at war'.

In the Nasuverse, the truth is already revealed; Magecraft is dying and it is a race to reach 'The Root' before Science reveals all mysteries then brings Mankind into a golden future several centuries from now. My crime was to be impatient to end all Human suffering and blame Humanity's current nature for it, prompting me to turn all Humans into Gods through Alternate Timeline shenanigans.

For this, I was punished by being forced to see the answer to this question: What if more people thought like I did?

I am currently in my home in Infinity City, one of the lightest spots in the Chronicles of Darkness. In my Sanctum - The Awakened equivalent to a Magus' Workshop - I sat beside the sunlit window, reading a book on a Victorian chair with carved flower patterns on the wood around its velvet upholstery. But not even the comforts of home can distract me from how I am stuck in a society where the restraints on one's conduct are such that casually killing each other, in relative openness, is winked and nodded at and casual manipulation of Nonmagi - Sleepers in their parlance - to the point where their politics, their lives, and their relationships can be preyed on without consequences, all in the name of Mass Awakening (both accomplishing and preventing it), is encouraged.

I want to go home; my real home in the Nasuverse, in the Clock Tower, where assassination attempts were at least clean and the methods did not involve forces anathema to Humanity or casually involving masses of civilians.

But if I leave this universe behind, if I give up on it and Humanity a second time, I will be repeating the crime that ended in my death, the sin that made my reincarnation into this living hell possible.

Do you want to know what I am talking about? Play Fate Grand Order, which is a work of fiction here, and let me tell you that the people in this world, these Chronicles of Darkness, have suffered and inflicted more pain than the people in the Nasuverse, where people like Kiritsugu Emiya, the Magus Killer who himself planned to use Magic to ensure a utopia, were supposed to be a rarity, not depressingly common as it is in this universe.

A knock at the door and I casually open it with telekinesis; the safeguards against using Magic casually are much lighter here than in my home universe.

As I anticipated, it was Erisse who entered, bringing with her Daniel, my new apprentice. His choice to join the Order of the Silver Ladder was due to my explaining their ideals and debunking their stereotypes about them, and I am grateful to have someone to share my burden with, even if it was with someone reincarnated from a world where both the Chronicles of Darkness and the Nasuverse were works of fiction subject to heated debate by so-called fans who flamed each other for the most nonsensical of reasons.

Never mind the would-be critics who pointed out plot holes both real and fake and used them to say that the story/lore/characters as a whole were bad. Whether they were correct did not matter - What mattered was that with all due respect to Daniel, he might still see me as a fictional character and not a person and I didn't know what to feel about that -

"Well, I'll be dropping off DanDan here," Erisse was saying now. "Don't get too lost in your thoughts now like he does sometimes."

"Don't worry, I won't," I said back. "I forgot both of us have 'Insert Privileges' for a moment there."

I then waved goodbye and then gently gestured Daniel to come inside before closing the door to my home, a concrete townhouse with a roof of red brick that through careful application of Space and Spirit Magic, was much larger inside than it was outside.

As I sat back in my chair and gestured to Daniel to sit on a smaller one on the other side of a round red rug and a small glass table, I asked him, "A question before we get to improving your prowess in Prime and Forces - How old do you see yourself as? You were an adult, no older than 30 when you died from the pandemic in the 'Real World', but your physical body is that of a teenager; just slightly younger than the Master of CHALDEA when he took me on."

Daniel answered, "Hmm… I actually don't know. All I know is that I don't date anyone younger than my mental age or older than my physical age; too many legal and ethical problems that way. Why, do you want to treat me as an adult?"

I was honest when I said, "I do. Daniel Palaiologos, born to descendants of the actual Palaiologos Family in this universe instead of just impostors, you might just save this world; no, you and your group might have the potential to save multiple worlds, though none of them would be the Nasuverse, as it is pre-saved; Humanity there will eventually ascend beyond Magecraft, Science, and True Magic, something I failed to appreciate in my previous life."

Some bitterness attached itself to my voice as I said to Daniel, "If you know the differences between the Chronicles of Darkness and the Nasuverse beyond a surface look, you should know by now that I am stuck in a hell of my own making. So as an Insert whose group has built on the achievements of multiple Reincarnates to accomplish a permanent shift in the status quo so early, I want to talk to you as an adult to another adult - Help me return home in exchange for me enabling you to be as powerful as you can be."

My apprentice's features shifted a little, looking at me directly, lacking the energy and enthusiasm that had driven him before. He wasn't eager, but why?

He gave his answer as he said, "As your apprentice, I'll prepare some tea and sandwiches - Direct me to the pantry. But for now, I'll be blunt; bringing you back to your section of the Multiverse will require me to be the Hieromagus, a Mage more powerful than even the hundreds who had reached Archmastery. Now let's discuss the path to that over tea, shall we?"

------

Tea, sandwiches, and a few slices of strawberry shortcake had been prepared, and I, Kirschtachia Wodime, was busily discussing with Daniel Palaiologos, my new apprentice, the cosmological differences between our sections of the Multiverse.

"In the Chronicles of Darkness," Daniel said, "Archmastery is a level where you can casually do what Goetia in Fate/Grand Order needed the death of all Humanity to accomplish - The creation of a new Multiverse. There are hundreds of Magi with that level of power who are not able to use it due to the fear they may accidentally rewrite this universe and erase something they care about or because they can negate each others' changes in a twisted version of Mutually Assured Destruction."

His eyes glinted with the reflected light from the window, where the sun had risen to its late morning, as he continued, "Kirsch, not only is the Hieromagus supposed to be even more powerful than that, where he, she, or they, can casually unmake concepts and reduce them to mere theories, but the concept is from the First Edition of Mage the Awakening, meaning that there may be no Heiromagus, not even as a hypothetical."

Why was that sort of power needed? I already knew, so I answered.

"In the Nasuverse, Humanity produces the Counter Force, aka Alaya, which protects the Human Order, aka its existence in the past, present, and future," I remembered not just my lessons, but my research on Kinoko Nasu himself and my reading of his works. "Humanity is predestined to reach the stars, become beings that transcend both Magic and Science and create the 'Age of Will', where they become like this universe's Archmasters, but less prone to infighting and negating each others' actions."

Daniel chuckled and spoke, "So, basically, like your plan to turn Humanity into miniature Gods, only it would have happened naturally, without you hurrying it. Honestly, the greatest villains in the Nasuverse - The ones who are Magi - seem to do what they do because they want to save Humanity while screwing over people. Quite unlike the villains in the Chronicles of Darkness, many of whom have contempt for Humanity and want to enjoy being depraved assholes."

He sighed and added, his tone that of the adult he mentally was, "And by that, your actions in your home world were villainous, but you don't deserve to be stuck here because of that. The problem is, due to your being reincarnated into the Chronicles, and using Magic from there, the Counter Force might reject you - It won't count you as Human or part of the Human Order unless convinced otherwise or brute-forced."

I nodded and said, "And it's going to be harder than the 'Ordeal Call' facing CHALDEA in the current story arc in Fate/Grand Order; the one translated from the Japanese server."

Daniel gave his own nod and spoke, "Yes, Kirschtacia Wodime, very much harder. So yes, I need to be the Hieromagus, if such a being can exist, to bring you back to the Nasuverse, much less clear up the legal and social ruckus that you having been dead for real will cause."

Then he grinned and continued, "Your turn to suspect me of something now, considering how if I become the Heiromagus, there will be no way to keep me accountable, right?"

Shaking my head, I answered, "Actually, no on both counts; I already have a way to make sure you uphold your end of the bargain even if you attain near-omnipotence."

And the young man knew I was speaking the truth; he knew me well enough to know that I was famous for only sticking to plans that I believed were possible to accomplish. It's just that, just like my earlier plan of making Humanity divine, I believed it was perfectly possible to bring down Daniel Palaiologos even if he attained the power of the Heiromagus.

After all, just because the Nasuverse shared space with the Chronicles of Darkness and the Old World of Darkness didn't mean that all three sections of the Multiverse had a monopoly on knowledge and power.

And just to remind him of that, I dropped a metaphorical bombshell, "Calvin and Hobbes, the famous comic strip? It's real. Bill Watterson himself met the reincarnation of Calvin in this universe when that Reincarnate became Governor of Ohio…"

And just to remind him of that, I dropped a metaphorical bombshell, "Calvin and Hobbes, the famous comic strip? It's real. Bill Watterson himself met the reincarnation of Calvin in this universe when that Reincarnate became Governor of Ohio…"
Ah this does amuse me greatly. The crossover we were always hoping for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back