1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Necro Day!!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by Xryuran, Oct 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Xryuran

Xryuran I'm so hard right now... Hard boiled that is.

Recently I've noticed a long dead thread get bumped back to the surface to much applause. With old and new readers both finding the story and enjoying it together.
    I propose a day, maybe a couple times per year, that the no necro rule is relaxed so some of these old stories that have long died but are still wonderful can be found by new audiences.
    Of course you would have to put some guidelines like a minimum post count or perhaps do if a Fandom at a time so the front page isn't over whelmed.
    I believe that this would be a way to bring old and new users of the site together as well. Many of us that have been on this site for years remember all these stories but the newbies would be lost if we ever made reference to them.
    Sure a recommendation thread works if you know what your looking for but many of my favorite finds were just browsing through the front pages. Shadowclonier even suggested that we could give it a catchy name. Maybe give it a little hype a few days before so people can start looking for threads to introduce again.

2. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

I vote no.

KinKrow and Silvercrystal like this.
  3. Silvercrystal

Silvercrystal That’s no moon! It’s a Moderator! Moderator

I thought that was last week? Given how many necros we had. :V
    also not a fan of the idea.

4. daniel_gudman

daniel_gudman KING (in land of blind)

I'm against it, in that it's an extra layer that will confuse a rule that is observably not intuitive. So it will probably like, triple the amount of regular necromancy. Edge cases like people necroing threads a few days off the target timeframe, or conversely reporting posts for necroing but it's during the special window that's okay... sounds very annoying for everyone involved.

Frankly, a tightly-focused Recc Thread, "stuff on this board that is dead and/or complete", would probably accomplish 90% of what you want to do here without needing any particular rule changes. Maybe you could do a thread like that instead

Arzte and MissileTeatime like this.
  5. ThatCatMan

ThatCatMan Man of Cats

The mods will come to our houses personally and break our keyboards with sledgehammers if we type anything other than RIP, F, or o7.

apocolypse1011 and searcher8 like this.
  6. Cubbyhb1

Cubbyhb1 Theoretically Capable of Sleep

As a person who uses Sufficient Velocity, and thus knows that the no necro rule is entirely pointless, I say you aren't going far enough!

macdjord likes this.
  7. Arzte

Arzte Lady Of Chaos

Removing the necro rule outright I feel would increase the number of low-effort posts made in an attempt to thread bump. The necro rule on here is already pretty generous, from what I've seen discussion on a thread tends to die out well before someone would perform a necromantic post anyways, I fail to see the use case here outside of bumping a thread with more recent posts.

8. daniel_gudman

daniel_gudman KING (in land of blind)

Yeah SV doesn't have too many people who go around replying to twelve-year-old threads with "bump"

That uuuh would be a concern with the crowd around here I think.

9. impossiblearchitect

impossiblearchitect Building 「that which is the strongest」.

I mean, SV does have a rule against that explicitly, though. Necros aren't against the rules, but necros with zero-content posts are. You're allowed to revive old threads so long as you actually have something to contribute.

apocolypse1011, macdjord and Arzte like this.