1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

News and Headlines...

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Nov 11, 2016.

1. killgore444

killgore444 Versed in the lewd.

wasprider and evildice like this.
  2. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Goood, goooooood. No more startups with no product!

Guardian Box likes this.
  3. Hyp3rB14d3

Hyp3rB14d3 Suspicion!

4. John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

5. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

He fell victim to the biggest addiction in the world today: attention. He wanted a bigger hit, and now he's paying the price.

6. aabbcc

aabbcc Well worn.

At least it wasn't for world of tanks.

7. Darrenb209

Darrenb209 Only way to survive is keeping your eyes on screen

Has World of Tanks ever had a leak? I'm only aware of the half-dozen Warthunder leaks.

8. John_Oakman

evildice likes this.
  9. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

See, I'd sign up to kill a fictional character (or her husband) for $2,500.

That's an excellent fanfic commission advance.

=====

EDIT: thread topic tax

[​IMG]

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-04-multidrug-resistant-bacteria-supermarket-meat-samples.html

Walkir likes this.
  10. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

11. evildice

wasprider and Imabot like this.
  12. evildice

13. John_Oakman

14. evildice

Needed more Cheemo therapy

Imabot and CrunchySharpie like this.
  15. John_Oakman

16. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

lunardraco, Imabot and Raven1138 like this.
  17. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

So, here’s the thing I don’t get: Why did anyone expect a different outcome? From what I understand, NFTs are, on a fundamental level, a way to digitally establish ownership of unique assets. But, like, we already have that in the real world. It’s called property. And most of it isn’t worth almost anything. I can go out and pick up a unique stick, one that has never been seen before in billions of years of life on earth and will never be seen again. And if I tried to sell it to someone for a penny, they’d roll their eyes and keep walking.

Why did anyone think NFTs were going to be any different? Why did people throw down the price of houses on mass-produced shitty furry art you’d have to pay me to hold on to?

OverMaster, Imabot and evildice like this.
  18. evildice

Because it's blockchain sticks and the people are either stupid or using it to launder money.

OverMaster likes this.
  19. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Probably by the same brain worm of how product/company/"visionary" X will disrupt the industry despite having no clue what said item is. Much less ignoring the warnings of it being little more than a pump and dump scam. Even the closest thing to an established NFT group, Yuga Labs, has had no success in showing a purpose for NFTs outside of a ponzi scheme between various digital games/metaverse projects fizzling out or being hacked and their celebrity members of BAYC becoming the butt of every joke.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    OverMaster likes this.
  20. John_Oakman

Because some tik tok influencer told them it's the best thing ever and surely they're not lying or talking out of their ass...

lunardraco, OverMaster and Raven1138 like this.
  21. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

The only one of these things that makes sense to me is the money laundering. Like, I can’t imagine the level of charisma needed to stand out on the street corner with an industrial-sized printer that was spewing out reams of randomly-colored hideous monkey art and somehow convince someone a given one was worth $5. It’s the kind of thing you’d use to establish someone as a supernatural critter. But put it on the internet, and people are willing to put down a mortgage on them?

evildice likes this.
  22. John_Oakman

Yep, the internet. Before the internet you have to find the fools. Now the fools will find you and throw their life savings at your harebrain scams.

23. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Money laundering is probably a chunk of it, but people running pump and dump scams is probably another chunk.

Marketing for NFTs tends to rely on at least implicitly comparing themselves to crptocurrency. When Bitcoin went gangbusters, other cryptocurrency's saw an influx of people thinking that they'd do the same, and people who want to get rich quick and don't think everything through are the perfect target demographic for the people running pump and dumps.

Amazon Climber likes this.
  24. evildice

Pump & dump requires a level of market legitimacy which you can't get unless there's another factor putting capital into trades -- either legitimate market activity (for stocks) or a separate scam which leads the way.

For Bitcoin, it was ransomware. The money pumped into Bitcoin by ransomware demands was eventually enough to make it look like a valid investment, and from there speculators started voluntarily putting money into it.

With NTFs there must have been some market-makers who put in trades to stimulate activity (and legitimize the market), then the laundering happened along side whatever idiots thought it was a real thing.

I would expect that by now (or starting soon) there will be laws about transaction transparency which make that market less attractive for laundering, and once that stops happening, then the market will collapse entirely.

25. aabbcc

aabbcc Well worn.

Like all sorts of collectibles you mean? Baseball cards, comics, stamps, you name it. A mass produced product that's selling the idea that at some point age & attrition will take out most other owners and your own shitty copy will be worth thousands more than what you put in.

The value is not in the paper or ink, it's on the artificial scarcity and the perception that it's special, even if the publisher could just churn out another ten thousand tomorrow if they felt like it.

NFTs are a more blatant version. The 'good' is a worthless digital signature that means absolutely nothing in on itself. The value is in the hype. People are willing to pay money for it, and with demand, people are willing to pay more money for it.

Things have value because people say they have value, and they stop having value when people stop giving a shit about them. It doesn't matter if it's a bar of gold or a chunk of bits.

That, of course, falls on the same trap as those comics and baseball cards, nobody gives a shit about an unpopular issue, or a baseball card of a nobody, as the market is saturated only a rare few are considered to have any value beyond the initial buy craze. In the same token, nobody gives a shit about an individual NFT after the bubble pops, and as the market saturated, the initial idea of NFTs keeping value for long like other art assets became a pipe dream, but there was always another NFTs, so it became, basically, unregulated & fast-spaced stocks. Buy new, sell to the next sucker before the bubble bursts, take the money to the next asset and repeat. The digital monkey does not matter, the signature saying you have the rights to that particular copy of the monkey doesn't matter, what matters is that an asset with a brief window where people say it has value, and you might be able to use to make money with buying and selling it.

With cryptocurrencies bursting tho, the NFT market that was inherently tied to them went down badly, and the NFT saturation made it worse. The race-the-bubble game stops working when the bubbles keep getting smaller and the money you get out of it deflates to be less than what you put in, so NFTs pretty much died.

Amazon Climber and evildice like this.
  26. John_Oakman

27. bryanfran36

bryanfran36 Experienced.

28. Blackgutter

Blackgutter Versed in the lewd.

It was the famous site where people flashed random people at back in 2009.

Amazon Climber and bryanfran36 like this.
  29. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

vyor and evildice like this.
  30. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

vyor, Amazon Climber and evildice like this.