• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

QQ Book Club

Sorry, I've had to deal with idiots spreading that bullshit to "show" how terrible my religion is. That it's utter and complete bullshit just pisses me off even more.
I would just like to quickly point out that the Church in Pullman's book is less like the actual Church, and more like if the Inquisition met up with the people conducting the witch trials, and they had to invent new heresy all the time to remain current. The books are anti-dogma more than anything, and the antagonist usurped the name of "Voice of God". This seems more akin to the televangelists that sell healing on the TV, only more sinister by far.

I will not say I personally support any religion, but I think it's entirely understandable to be religious. What I can't stand is people getting exploited by those their faith lead them to trust, and it is the abolition of such an exploitative system that is the purpose of the "good guys" in the books. If they too are misguided at times, that is simply human nature.

I would just like to quickly point out that the Church in Pullman's book is less like the actual Church, and more like if the Inquisition met up with the people conducting the witch trials, and they had to invent new heresy all the time to remain current. The books are anti-dogma more than anything, and the antagonist usurped the name of "Voice of God". This seems more akin to the televangelists that sell healing on the TV, only more sinister by far.

I will not say I personally support any religion, but I think it's entirely understandable to be religious. What I can't stand is people getting exploited by those their faith lead them to trust, and it is the abolition of such an exploitative system that is the purpose of the "good guys" in the books. If they too are misguided at times, that is simply human nature.

Ok, if that's what the books are actually about, then sure. I might read them at some point.

That... That never happened. That's a common myth. Science and religion were never opposed, some of the greatest scientists have been religious ffs!

Wow I thought you were parodying people that made these arguments, only your later comments made me realize you were actually genuine. Poe's law.

Wow I thought you were parodying people that made these arguments, only your later comments made me realize you were actually genuine. Poe's law.

Oh, hey, look.

Someone that doesn't know jack shit about history and doesn't want to learn.

How about you fuck off and let the adults talk?

Someone that doesn't know jack shit about history and doesn't want to learn.

Here's a bit of history: Your god never existed and never created humanity. None of the miracles attributed to God by various religions, from the creation of the universe, the earth, life, or humanity have the slightest scientific evidence backing them up.

How about you fuck off and let the adults talk?

Go speak to your imaginary friend in the sky, asshole, or else you can go chop off heads of unbelievers in the Middle East. Go tell Hypatia (whom you skinned alive) about how religion and science isn't opposed.

... Moving... On...

Decided to reread ASOIAF because hey. It's been a while.

So that's what I'm doing right now. Reading A Game of Thrones all the way through A Dance with Dragons.

So that's what I'm doing right now. Reading A Game of Thrones all the way through A Dance with Dragons.

Why would you torture yourself like that? Don't get me wrong, they're great books, but so much shit goes down in them. Reading the Red Wedding was sad enough the first time around. I myself would only reread the sections with Tyrion. Because the Imp is always pure gold, and now I can imagine Peter Dinklage throwing off those lines. Arya and Asha Greyjoy are also good sections for rereading. But not the whole thing.

Why would you torture yourself like that? Don't get me wrong, they're great books, but so much shit goes down in them. Reading the Red Wedding was sad enough the first time around. I myself would only reread the sections with Tyrion. Because the Imp is always pure gold, and now I can imagine Peter Dinklage throwing off those lines. Arya and Asha Greyjoy are also good sections for rereading. But not the whole thing.

Because I'm running an ASOIAF quest.

So I kinda need to brush up on the source material a bit.

Because I'm running an ASOIAF quest.

So I kinda need to brush up on the source material a bit.

That's a good reason. Perhaps the only reason to subject yourself to a full reread :D

But, in the line of dark gritty fantasy (that is slightly more optimistic than GoT), I'd direct you to the works of Joe Abercrombie. Particularly his novel Best Served Cold, which showcases a lady mercenary on a roaring rampage of revenge like Beatrix Kiddo, on a setting similar to Essos.

That's a good reason. Perhaps the only reason to subject yourself to a full reread :D
I appreciate this reasoning as well, but I must personally say that I hate works where the sympathetic people die all the time. It's one thing when the author kills off a few of the dozen or so people you're rooting for in a clash, it's another entirely when basically all the people you like, apart from a couple or so, are unceremoniously murdered. It got spoiled for me that every character i liked apart from Tyrion, and to a lesser degree Arya, would die sad and pointless deaths. I simply stopped reading then, finding pleasure in other works of literature instead.

I've been meaning to give my copy of The Complete Illustrated Lewis Carrol a proper read, and that's quite a project, really. I read fast, but with exams coming up those are sadly my main focus for now. I would recommend it to anyone not looking for grim and bloody 'entertainement' though, and for practical advice if you find yourself hunting snark, or if you are hunted by the Jabberwock, Bandersnatch or Jubjub bird for that matter.

Apart from that, my reading habits have been more of the electronic media variety in later years. I do not regret this, as many people on this page and others should be (or are already) published. I do not believe derivative fiction falls under the purview of a book club, however.

I appreciate this reasoning as well, but I must personally say that I hate works where the sympathetic people die all the time. It's one thing when the author kills off a few of the dozen or so people you're rooting for in a clash, it's another entirely when basically all the people you like, apart from a couple or so, are unceremoniously murdered. It got spoiled for me that every character i liked apart from Tyrion, and to a lesser degree Arya, would die sad and pointless deaths. I simply stopped reading then, finding pleasure in other works of literature instead.

This! So much this!

Got a book from a library once, can't remember the name of it, but it was a decent story... right up until the PoV character gets ganked halfway through.

I've been meaning to give my copy of The Complete Illustrated Lewis Carrol

Oh frabjous day :D Really, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass have to be two of the greatest things in English literature. And despite its whimsical nature, they are really stories meant for older kids and adults. I got an excellent hardback edition of those two stories as a birthday gift when I was around ten. I tried reading it, couldn't make head or tail of it, and tossed it aside. I came back to it in high school, and it has been one of my favorites since.

Oh frabjous day :D Really, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass have to be two of the greatest things in English literature. And despite its whimsical nature, they are really stories meant for older kids and adults. I got an excellent hardback edition of those two stories as a birthday gift when I was around ten. I tried reading it, couldn't make head or tail of it, and tossed it aside. I came back to it in high school, and it has been one of my favorites since.
I believe the original draft was bedtime stories and similar, and when the parents of little Alice Lidell read it they insisted it could be published as a novel.

I also believe many children could be at a much more advanced reading level than they are encouraged and allowed to be, in many respects. When I was a child of six, I felt that books of an 'age appropriate' level were entirely too simple, and I remember my classmates being handed books with twenty pages of six-word sentences describing mundane situations while I read novelizations of the story of Jeanne d'Arc and more. I believe good childrens stories could also be good entertainment for adults, if they accept that there will be little death and romance. It is incredibly important that children are allowed to read good books in general, developing their love for literature and stimulating their cognitive development.

I believe the original draft was bedtime stories and similar, and when the parents of little Alice Lidell read it they insisted it could be published as a novel.

I also believe many children could be at a much more advanced reading level than they are encouraged and allowed to be, in many respects. When I was a child of six, I felt that books of an 'age appropriate' level were entirely too simple, and I remember my classmates being handed books with twenty pages of six-word sentences describing mundane situations while I read novelizations of the story of Jeanne d'Arc and more. I believe good childrens stories could also be good entertainment for adults, if they accept that there will be little death and romance. It is incredibly important that children are allowed to read good books in general, developing their love for literature and stimulating their cognitive development.

The late great Terry Pratchett had some harsh things to say about people who try to 'dumb down' books for kids. Some direct quotes from Hogfather on the subject:

There were lessons later on. These were going a lot better now she'd got rid of the reading books about bouncy balls and dogs called Spot. She'd got Gawain on to the military campaigns of General Tacticus, which were suitably bloodthirsty but, more importantly, considered too difficult for a child. As a result his vocabulary was doubling every week and he could already use words like 'disembowelled' in everyday conversation. After all, what was the point of teaching children to be children?

They were naturally good at it.

Ok, if that's what the books are actually about, then sure. I might read them at some point.
Eh for the most part. I would argue that its more against organized religion and blindly following religious dogma. Considering events throughout the series especially something that happens in the third book (I think) its definitely not against spiritualism in my opinion.

... Moving... On...

Decided to reread ASOIAF because hey. It's been a while.

I honestly only hate Feast and skipped it the last time I did a reread.

Hmm, anyone here read any of Bujold's Vorkosigan series? Or Eric Flint's 1632 series?

Hmm, anyone here read any of Bujold's Vorkosigan series? Or Eric Flint's 1632 series?
I found 1632 and 1633 decently good. Past that it goes all hydra with the plot threads and it's quality is all over the place. If you can still find Flint's 'Mother of Demons' that used to be on Baen's free library, I recommend that as well. I will concede though that MoD scratched a particular itch of mine with culture clash and alien views on humans.

I found 1632 and 1633 decently good. Past that it goes all hydra with the plot threads and it's quality is all over the place. If you can still find Flint's 'Mother of Demons' that used to be on Baen's free library, I recommend that as well. I will concede though that MoD scratched a particular itch of mine with culture clash and alien views on humans.
I do agree about that... but then, that's what happens when the author invites others into their playpen... and while I have not read 'Mother of Demons,' I have read an even earlier trilogy of a somewhat similiar premise... Alan Dean Foster's 'A Call to Arms' of the Damned series. Well, it sort of follows from what I think you're describing.

I do agree about that... but then, that's what happens when the author invites others into their playpen... and while I have not read 'Mother of Demons,' I have read an even earlier trilogy of a somewhat similiar premise... Alan Dean Foster's 'A Call to Arms' of the Damned series. Well, it sort of follows from what I think you're describing.
ADF's work has a very different feel to Mother of Demons. MoD is kind of a sci-fi proto-1632. Ship sent to study planet crashes, the humans have to build their own settlement and society, and it's intercut with the native intelligent life and the eventual reveal of humans to them. I found it to have a nice mix of enough comfortably human-like thoughts that the aliens are relatable instead of being starfish, and alien assumptions and perceptions that made it interesting.

It's Flint's first novel, so it's often a bit rough compared to his later work, but I still liked it. Speaking of, I managed to find it - apparently the free library is still around, just hard to find. So goahead and read it online.

Ah, alright. Thanks~ I'll have to read it... checking it out now!

wait is this where we post our goodreads and talk about how great Terry Pratchett and Jim Butcher are?

Then I feel compelled to mention the excellent, if heavy on the world-building side, The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer. It's both really good and with some 'small' alterations excellent material for QQ.

Now I'm curious, who here has read 'Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillian'? Or 'Wizard Squared'? 'Apropos of Nothing'? 'Heroics for Beginners'?

I hadn't read what Sleep mentioned though. Hmm.

Personally, I've read 'Don't tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain' but haven't read 'Wizard Squared' or 'Heroics for Beginners'. Are you talking about 'Sir Apropos of Nothing' by Peter David? For personal recommendations other then popular authors people like Jim Butcher, Brandon Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie and George RR Martin (on the fantasy side of things) I would also recommend 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' and 'The Goblin Emperor'

Personally, I've read 'Don't tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain' but haven't read 'Wizard Squared' or 'Heroics for Beginners'. Are you talking about 'Sir Apropos of Nothing' by Peter David? For personal recommendations other then popular authors people like Jim Butcher, Brandon Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie and George RR Martin (on the fantasy side of things) I would also recommend 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' and 'The Goblin Emperor'
By Peter David, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back