• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Regressed Master: Raising The Son Of Heaven Isn’t Easy (Xianxia/Progression)

What did you all think of the story so far?

• Superb!

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • Good

Votes: 39 41.1%
  • Ok, needs some work

Votes: 17 17.9%
  • Bad, needs a lot of work

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Wasted my time reading it

Votes: 4 4.2%

• Total voters
17: The Second Peak Master (II)
The main Travel path of the Azure Sky Sect was a complex yet simple one. Starting at Tiger Peak it went to Chrysanthemum Peak, Peach Peak, Osmanthus Peak, and Sky Peak before connecting back to Tiger Peak to form a circle.

To reach Plum Peak one had to take the forked path in front of Chrysanthemum Peak, while a path from every Peak led up to Lotus Peak. It connected the seven peaks passing through dense forests, over rivers, lakes, and even valleys, making it easier for disciples to reach other peaks.

Passing by the Sky Peak Wang Yang and Huajun finally reached the Gate of the Inner Sect. Last time they flew over it on flying swords, but this time he could see how massive the structure was. Even twenty elephants stacked wouldn't reach the signboard up there.

At the gate, Disciples from Sky Peak checked the tokens. Wang Yang showed his disciple token while Huajun showed the issued token from the Disciplinary Hall. Without any problems, they descended the Rising Platform to arrive at the innermost part of the Outer Sect.

Here, several pavilions with slanted tiled roofs stood high. The smooth stone path led towards the dotted pavilions in the forest down the slope. Disciples in all-black uniforms fastened by red belts and slip-on shoes walked past them.

Many eyes gathered quickly, but unlike the Inner sect, only admiration came forth here noticing their blue belts. Murmuring too distant to make out, Wang Yang came to a stop in front of a man with gray sideburns wearing black robes with a red belt.

"To think that not one, but two inner sect disciples would come to the Outer Sect. What can I help you with?" He was jovial until his eyes went to Wang Yang's token. "By heavens!"

"This is Wang Yang, he is looking for his friend from the same hometown. If Elder Si can help us with that, it would be enough." Huajun said.

"As you wish Inner Disciple Feng, and Inner Disciple Wang." Elder Si did a salute with a bow.

"Huajun is just fine, Elder Si." The Elder nodded with a smile. He turned to the disciples behind him and issued the order, while Huajun turned to me. "You won't ask how I know about her?"

"If Brother Xu talked about me, he should've also talked about Kexin too. They hit it off well in the line during that test." Huajun nodded, confirming that Xu Qiang indeed talked a lot.

"Well then, if I don't come back till you are done, feel free to go ahead of me. The process is the same, in case you feel stuck ask anyone with the cloud emblem on their shoulder and they'll help you." With that, Huajun went his own way.

Guided into a separate room in the pavilion nearby, Wang Yang sat on the cushioned seat, served with tea and some food on the side. His chest felt much tighter now. It felt weird not seeing a face he had seen every day since he could remember. There wasn't anything he felt like he could say to her at the moment.

Just then the doors slammed open. Kexin stood there, out of breath. She wiped the sweat off her forehead with the sleeve of her uniform along with the bangs. Then with a smile, she stepped towards him. This sight was very familiar to him, even this feeling.

"Aiya! Big Sister Kexin you are killing me!!" The ear-pulling had started.

"Big Sister? How come you didn't remember to visit your big sister in the first week, Huh?" She twisted his ear without mercy.

"I'm sorry!"

Some things in my life would never change no matter what position I have. Wang Yang didn't know if he should laugh or cry.

"I am sorry, ok? I didn't know I could come into the Outer Sect." These small protests were met with a cold shoulder.

"Even Xiao He came to meet me in two days. And here you are." Those words hurt more than they should've. But, Kexin didn't mean it in a bad way. "This is why I have told you to not go with the flow every time and keep quiet. At times you have to do things on your own."

Wang Yang knew it better than anyone. But, the scale of it had just settled in. If not for Kexin he would've lived his entire life in Baihe City. Tending to the fields and cows, watching the clouds from the rooftop, and roasting mushrooms in the forest once in a while. That would've been it. If she hadn't dragged him to the city that day, he would've never come to this Sect. he would've never got the chance to be the Disciple of a Peak Master.

"W-Why are you silent? Wait, did I pull your ear too hard?" The silence gave her the wrong message. "I am not angry with you. I just want you to be more careful now that you are in the inner sect."

Although quick to jump into action, Kexin always had good intentions in mind when it came to him. When she pulled his ear, the pain was substantial, but he had never stopped her. Even he knew that he did need some lessons from time to time to come back to his senses. And Kexin had always done that for him before he fell into trouble.

"I regret not coming sooner." He said.

"It's ok. Don't leave room for regret next time." She said, her hand patting his head. "Come by when you have time, don't slack on cultivating and studying."

"If I do that, the Master will punish me severely." Sword swings on an empty stomach were terrible.

"That's normal. I say the punishment should be harsher so you don't make mistakes." She said.

"Devil."

"What was that?" The fingers reached his ear in a heartbeat.

"…I said the awesome Big Sister Kexin is always right." He rested his case as she chuckled. Just then the bell tolled twice in the distance. Although far, it reached the room announcing the end of Afternoon Break.

"I have to attend a lecture on meditation, so I'll go now. You should return too." She said walking towards the door. Kexin opened the door but didn't leave, for a few seconds she stood there, her hand gripping on the handle.

"There is a way for the Outer Sect Disciples to enter the Inner Sect." Wang Yang looked up, only to see her back. This was a familiar scene.

"I'll enter the Inner Sect through that soon, Then… we can cultivate together like promised."

"Don't take too much time." At those words, she looked over her shoulder to show a smile.

"I won't. Improve as much as you can, or it will be sword training all over again." She said walking away.

"Now I am a bit scared." He smiled.

Wang Yang started training in the sword with his father first, but later Kexin joined. Later, she surpassed him in swordplay in a year and he has been chasing after her since then. Now, their positions had reversed yet again. And this time, he didn't want to lose. Holding onto that feeling he walked out of the room. There, Huajun stood by the door, waiting for him.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop." He was waiting outside when Wu Kexin opened the door. It seemed like she didn't notice him.

"That's ok." Wang Yang didn't mind it much. After all, it was Kexin's fault. But, he had a different question in mind. "You already did your task, Huajun?"

"Yeah. I met my wife. Though she had to attend a lecture and had to rush." Huajun laughed before stopping. "What happened, Wang Yang?"

"How old are you Huajun?" Wang Yang just felt a need to ask.

"Me? I am Thirty-Nine this year." The man who looked twenty years old said so with a smile.

"…" This man here was older than his father.

"I entered the Inner sect through the Outer Sect Competition after twenty-six years of cultivation. I have spent years here, and here I also met my wife." Huajun explained on the way back to the cliff. "My wife plans to enter the Inner sect soon. Hopefully, she succeeds after nineteen Years."

"Is that really how long it takes?" Wang Yang's focus shifted from age already.

"It depends on the Spiritual Root Rank. I could've entered much faster if not for my stubbornness in choosing the wrong path." Huajun said. "But, it still takes an Outer Disciple years to finally stand at the line normal Inner Disciples start at. There is still a chance that may not succeed."

"In that time the inner disciples would progress more." Wang Yang muttered.

"Yes. So, how does that make you feel?" Huajun's question made his brain churn.

Wu Kexin wanted to be a cultivator. More than him, more than anyone Wang Yang knew. However, fate decided to play a cruel joke on them.

"I believe in her. She's always kept her word." Kexin wouldn't give up no matter the situation she was in, so he wouldn't give up on her either.

"How good it is to be young. I am kind of envious." Huajun smiled as they boarded the platform to reach the Inner Sect Gate.

"Then, until next time." Huajun entered the Tiger Peak's path as Wang Yang ran back to Plum Peak.

When he reached the Peak, only an hour remained before nightfall. Today was the break day so he was free. But, for some reason, he couldn't sit in one place and ended up in the Courtyard again. There, he stared down the fearsome opponent. The Monk dummy. In the week he made zero progress. But, today he felt strangely confident.

Today is the day I beat this damn thing. With solid resolve, his grip on the wooden sword tightened. The long strides led him towards the fearful foe as the sword came down with unparalleled vigor. Three hours had passed since then. The beautiful moon sat high in the dark sky, yet he continued.

"Yeah… I can't do this." Wang Yang lay on the stone floor covered in sweat, gasping for air with his reddened hands.

No matter how many times he struck this dummy, it wouldn't even dent it. It was like solid iron. In the end, he got hurt while practicing again. He had lost count as to how many times he swung the sword on this monk's forehead with Qi or without Qi. Yet, it was of no avail.

Am I not strong enough right now? The thought seemed plausible, but it was interrupted by someone else.

"You are training during break?" Sun Lingling, who was passing by the courtyard, stopped in her tracks.

Wang Yang sat up and turned to her. The sword still in her hand. However, she wasn't here to practice.

"I had time, so thought of giving this a try again. Haven't made any progress on this for long." He said, heaving a big sigh.

This wasn't the first time she had stopped by on her way to the kitchen, but she never spoke and went on her way after a glance. But, as Wang Yang got ready to swing his sword again, she walked into the courtyard.

"Raw power isn't the answer." She said.

Wang Yang looked confused, if he had to break something in half, power was the only thing that could help. Without another word, Sun Lingling picked up a training sword. Standing in front of the dummy she brought the sword down. The arc was graceful. The slash was slow enough for a child to dodge, yet reached the target in a blink. The moment the sword tip landed on the Dummy's forehead. It split in two, the two cleanly cut halves falling. She looked back to see the wide-eyed Wang Yang.

"It is about precision and control. The dummy is held together by a trigger, if you put in proper force using Qi, it will open." Sun Lingling threw two training swords up. When they came down, in a flash she slashed at the two in quick succession.

"Only Raw power will never be as useful on its own. A sword user needs to have control over his strength and not squander it." One sword shattered into splinters, while the other was split straight vertically. "During our bouts, if I do not control my power, the swing that knocks the sword out of your hand could break it into pieces. However, the objective is to disarm you, so I only use that much power."

Wang Yang didn't doubt that one bit now. The swords she had blasted so easily were wooden swords only in name. These swords were unbreakable, just like the monk.

"Here, try it again." Sun Lingling pushed the split monk together, and with an audible click, it looked as daunting as ever. "Only use fifty percent of your normal strength and restrict the Qi from strengthening your arm by thirty percent."

"Those are very precise numbers." He doubted it would be as easy as it sounds.

"If you don't learn to be precise with Qi and strength usage you will run out much quicker at the early stages. In bouts that could lead to defeat, and in battles death is certain." Sun Lingling stepped back to let Wang Yang have a clear view of the dummy.

He started to focus and stepped up. Watching him, she thought of how long it would take him to nail it down. It took her five minutes to figure it out.

It should take him about another day or two to get the correct combination once. A few more weeks before he can do it with every swing. Her focus zeroed in on the raised sword.

It came down in a straight line, showing a little experience and understanding of the weapon as the edge remained straight. His body leaning forward to shift his body weight behind the swing. With a resounding thud, the dull blade struck the wooden forehead, yet it sounded like the clash of iron. What followed was a situation neither of them expected.

The two halves of the dummy fell as his sword hit the stone floor at the same time.

"Oh… I did it."

So we got genius sword girl, and an MC who is somehow even better... I do wonder, though, how large our fake/orginal MC's inevidable harem/rival mess will become. He's already at two (maybe three?), and he's barely even started cultivating yet.

How nice to see a more traditional "Xianxia" on QQ. That being said the protagonist info is definitely starting off a bit slow. We know more about his student and a rando guts man than we do about LM even if we're mostly in his head.

While it is nice to slowly set up the puzzle pieces don't forget to actually attract us to the character himself.

Enjoying the read so far, thanks for the story.

18: The Second Peak Master (III)
It should take him about another day or two to get the correct combination once. A few more weeks before he can do it with every swing. Sun Lingling's focus zeroed in on the raised sword.

It came down in a straight line, showing a little experience and understanding of the weapon as the edge remained straight. Wang Yang leaned forward to shift his body weight behind the swing.

With a resounding thud, the dull blade struck the wooden forehead, yet it sounded like a clash of iron. What followed was a situation neither of them expected. The two halves of the dummy fell as his sword hit the stone floor at the same time.

"Oh… I did it." Wang Yang looked at the scene in wonder. He didn't expect to do it on the first try. "Thanks for that."

"… It's nothing." Sun Lingling's words were dry, however, her mind tried to understand what happened.

Was it Luck? The answer seemed plausible. Wang Yang put the dummy together. He went a second time. His form remained the same, yet the dummy didn't break.

"…That was a little off." Sun Lingling noticed him getting close to the precise number. Those words prompted him to try again, and this time he succeeded. After that, he tried ten times, and he succeeded five times.

That's much better than my first ten swings. Sun Lingling saw Wang Yang sitting on the ground. He ran out of Qi.

"If you had asked for hints from Master. You would've completed this on the very first day." She said, unable to understand why he bore through it for seven days.

"I wanted to. But, I felt like this was a test for me… so I tried to do it myself." He said, wiping his sweat away.

I suppose there was a test, but it wasn't this. She kept quiet about it as speaking out of line could hinder his progress. Li Muchen had his way of teaching.

"You've done well so far. Much better than I expected." Sun Lingling was never wrong when it came to swords. Yet, he did prove her calculations wrong.

Even if the first strike was a fluke, being able to zero in on that feeling and recreating it wasn't easy. He should be commended for that achievement. However, his gaze held a sense of surprise towards her.

"Is something wrong?"

"Ah… well, how should I say it…" Wang Yang rubbed his cheek. "You seem much kinder than expected?"

Sun Lingling kept to herself. Since becoming disciples and living under the same roof, the number of times he had seen her could be counted on one hand. And this was the longest he had heard her speak. Before this, she had yet to talk with him directly.

But, not only did she help him, she also praised him when he succeeded. It made Wang Yang realize that he had the wrong impression.

"I apologize if I came off as rude. My focus has been on cultivation." She said.

"That's normal. Even though I want to cultivate day and night, it isn't easy to sit down for long." His wandering mind had become his biggest enemy.

"If you have a goal, it will help you focus." She said.

"A Goal?"

"Yes. What do you want to achieve by cultivating? It can be simply becoming immortal, becoming powerful, accumulating wealth, understanding the world, helping others, or for something vain. As long as it motivates you, any goal is good." Sun Lingling had a goal, and that helped her get up every morning to cultivate and do what she could.

Wang Yang on the other hand had no goals, even before coming to the sect he lived day to day. He never yearned for anything.

"You can take your time. A goal you can dedicate your life to can be as hard to find as it can be easy." She said.

"Thanks a lot, Senior Sister Sun." Wang Yang smiled.

"Senior Sister?" A flash of surprise appeared on her face.

"You were Master's first disciple, so you are the Senior Disciple." He smiled.

"Very well then. I hope you find your answer soon, Junior Brother Wang." Her voice still sounded dry, but Wang Yang got used to it.

However, seeing the opportunity he decided to ask a question that had been on his mind. The technique Sun Lingling always used to end their matches was very intriguing to him.

"The disarming technique that Senior Sister Sun uses, is it your own?"

They've had the matches every other day since then. And so far, he couldn't understand how she did that. Because even if he knew it was coming, he could never spot when it happened.

"It is Master's." She said.

"Hmm? When did Master teach that?" Wang Yang wondered if he had missed any lectures. Because she was able to use it from the first day.

"He didn't." The answer confused him. How could she learn something he hadn't taught yet?

"Speaking of Master, how much does Junior Brother Wang know about him?" She asked.

"I don't know a lot. But, Master has a lot of admiration from everyone in the sect. I also heard a few of the things he did, and his standing in the sect. He is an awesome and respectable person. Much more than that, he seems kind and understanding. Though he does punish without reservation." Wang Yang still wanted to know more, especially after the things he had heard. "I wonder how strong he is right now."

"Master is strong. But, he could've been much stronger if not for the slow speed of cultivation. Even then, he trained with sword, alchemy, and has great achievements in Formations." Sun Lingling said, bringing his attention to her.

"I guess, the heavens are fair." Wang Yang was reminded of his father's words. A man can't have everything.

His Master had the drive and intellect, but his cultivation speed held him back. Kexin had ambition and dreams, yet she didn't get the talent. Yet, without any drive or ambition, he had acquired a position many dream of.

"Do you believe that?" It wasn't Sun Lingling's question, rather the strong voice that made him flinch.

"There is no need to answer that. I will take my leave now." She walked into the eastern wing. Leaving the confused Wang Yang alone in the courtyard.

Her steps were measured and made no sound, the sleeves of her robe fluttered with each move. In silence, she entered her cultivation room. Placing her sword into the storage ring, she picked up the sword she had left on a stand. Taking a seat on the cushion, she closed her eyes.

Not a second later her breathing stabilized. Taking in the Qi through her lungs Sun Lingling connected the abundant gaseous Qi in her dantian to the sword using the pathways leading to her palms. A serene calmness dragged her mind deeper into the water. Drowning, yet the water wasn't disturbed by her breath. She wasn't breathing, or moving. The light got further away each second until there was only darkness.

At that moment, Sun Lingling had lost control of her body. Then, the light returned. Rather than the cultivation room, she was in the courtyard painted in an orange glow. The one in her Master's residence.

In front of her was a Monk Dummy. But, it wasn't the clean one she had seen before. This one had numerous dents and slash marks on its body. And it wasn't the one made for precision training.

"Brother stop, you are hurt!" A sniffle came from the left as terrible frost bit into her body.

She wanted to look, but her head didn't move. Instead, the hands gripped the familiar handle of the sword tight to gather energy. Her hands burned as if she was holding a rod of melted iron. Yet, the body moved and heaved the sword above.

"I can't do that Jiahao. I have to train." The words that left her lips weren't hers. The voice too, belonged to her Master. But, unlike the usual calm and serene tone, there was a tinge of anger. Not at anyone else, but at himself. "I can't stop right now."

The sword came down. The blade shook because of the trembling hands, yet it didn't sway from the arc. With a resounding clang, the sword left an inch-deep gash in the body of the monk dummy.

"Your hands are bleeding! Brother, stop!" Her gaze turned, catching the red-haired boy cry. He looked about a teen, the crimson eyes full of worry and tears.

"It's all fine. I have to do this. It is the only way." She could barely make out the boy's face.

"You don't have to… Stop hurting yourself."

"That's not correct Jiahao… If I don't push myself to my limit, that would…… be on me…" The vision blurred and soon darkened.

The consciousness came and she looked at the golden ceiling. The moonlight entered through the window illuminating her bandaged palms. They stung still, the legs had no strength yet the body moved. Pushing the blanket aside, she walked using the sword as a cane. The slow steps took her through the corridors of the eastern wing into the courtyard.

There, the beaten monk dummy waited. Each step was filled with pain, yet her mind was calm. Like a lake with no ripples. She stood in front of the dummy. The sword drawn on shaking legs. An iron sword felt like lifting a mountain. The body cried to stop, yet the person didn't. The creaking legs widened into a stance. The sword stayed upright like his back.

Unlike my junior brothers and sisters, I don't have talent. My cultivation root is useless and my body is weak. The voice rang in her head. It was calm and accepting. What takes me months to learn, they can do that in an hour. That is the difference. I understand that.

But, the talent I lack can be bridged with hard work. I don't want them to hide their achievements from me out of pity or fear that I will get angry.
Her entire body burned as if she were in the middle of a furnace. Even more than that, I want to prove that my Master was correct in choosing me. I want to pay back for the belief showed in me.

The sword was raised above the head. One step forward. A downwards swing. This was a basic move. However, the monk dummy in front was split in two down the middle. The cut burned as if a flaming sword had passed through it. Mimicking the monk, the body landed on the floor with a thud. The pain came in at once, but it was ignored.

"I did it… after years…… finally… I've proven... Master was right." The silent cry of happiness was overwhelming. That sense of accomplishment that only came after years of dedication, was unknown to her.

To learn a single sword technique that his Master gave him. The words that assured him that he could. He did everything he could to make those words come true.

Opening her eyes, Sun Lingling rested the sword carefully on the stand. Wiping the sweat off her face she stood up. It didn't matter which sword of Li Muchen she touched, it was all the same. The hellish and dedicated way of training. The dulled sense of pain and crushing agony of being untalented. It was there every step of the way.

But, that didn't stop him. Every time he talked about doing something, he did it by the end. No matter how much it hurt or the effort required. That reminded Sun Lingling of the person very dear to her. She exited the room and walked down the corridor. The sword in hand brought an old conversation back to her mind.

Sis, can't we play now? She was twelve years of age.

After big sis finishes her training.

Don't you train every day? You even get hurt.
She was a little brat who didn't understand anything but playing.

I lack the talent, Lingling. I know that it isn't something I can dictate. But, the hard work I put in is for me to decide. If I don't do enough, that would be on me. She showed a big smile every time. If I go easy on training I'll get hurt during battles. Do you want Big Sis to get hurt?

No… Please don't get hurt.
That was the last thing Sun Lingling wanted.

I don't want that either. Getting hurt isn't good, if my face gets a scar, who will marry me? That is why I train hard. After all, there is a guy I have to pay back for a defeat. She smiled, patting her head.

A guy?

Yeah. A really stubborn guy who defeated me. This time I'll go to his sect and challenge him. I'll take you along too. I am sure you'll like him.
Sun Lingling looked forward to that. How about training with me, Lingling? It is better to start early.

I like playing with dolls.

Then we'll buy a lot of them when we travel.
Her sister would laugh before getting back to training.

Two years later they were about to leave for Azure Sky Sect. Her sister received a letter of challenge in a piece of white bamboo.

I can't turn my back on a proper challenge. After this, we'll go to the Azure Sky Sect. The sister left after hugging her.

That was the last time she saw her sister, leaving behind only her sword. Three years after she met the man they talked about almost every other day. And now, she was learning from him in a twist of fate to avenge her sister.

Sun Lingling opened the door on the north side of the courtyard. Inside was a Monk dummy. Just like the one she saw through the sword. Placing it on the stone floor. It was heavy, a lump of metal really. Drawing her sword, Sun Lingling took the same wide stance.

One step forward. And a downward slash. Just like she had seen in that resonance state. The Dummy split clean in two. The melted iron dripped on the ground from the halves. The technique that took her Master years to learn, she did it in a few hours while being in a lower minor realm. It was the same for the things her sister learned through months of practice.

Sheathing the sword, she pressed it against her forehead. Trying to feel the warmth of the person that once held it.

"The heavens are anything but fair." Her whimper was lost in the late night's cold breeze.

Yea a lot of chinese plattitudes are... less effective when there's a demonstratable difference in raw worth, AKA Talent. Because if you're not talented, you're not worth anything. 'Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard', but how often do we see Talents in Xianxia who aren't also working absurdly hard themselves?

19: The Second Peak Master (IV)
The next day arrived with a clear sky, the bright sun giving its blessing to the land below as the roosters let out their cries pointing their beaks at the early birds. The residents of the Plum Peak Main building were stirred awake.

Wang Yang left his room and headed for the well in the garden to wash his face, it took him a few minutes to reach the main kitchen after that where he found Sun Lingling picking up a few jade bottles of nutrient pills for the day. However, his master, Li Muchen was nowhere to be seen.

"Master left the Peak and said he would not be back before the day after tomorrow. He wants you to follow the given schedule." Sun Lingling delivered the message.

"I see…" Wang Yang became dejected. He wanted to show his master that he succeeded in the Dummy Test, however, nothing could be done about that right now.

Waving his hand over the golden array, he wanted to have some braised pork to start the day. Yet, nothing appeared. Confused, he opened the cabinet below the array to take out a scroll. It had the list of all dishes in the array with the number of plates left, it was updated each night and there had yet to be a mistake. Today, it showed that there should be three plates of Braised Pork in the array, but there were none.

Master only eats one plate at a time, and he doesn't eat meat in the morning. So, who ate the three plates? Wang Yang glanced at Sun Lingling who walked out of the kitchen. It wasn't her, she had yet to eat a single dish and wasn't the type to sneak around.

The worst part was that, aside from the braised pork other dishes were missing too. Chicken, duck, soy sauce fried noodles, and the tanghulu. Half of everything was missing.

"A food thief is targeting our Peak. But, who could it be?" Wang Yang bit his nail at the big mystery. If this continues, they'd run out of food in no time, wouldn't their Master be angry at them for not doing anything?

We have to catch that thief before he takes all the food away before Master comes back. Above all, Wang Yang didn't like the medicine-like taste of the Pills.

"Before that I have to finish the schedule." With solid resolve, he broke off the chicken leg.

While Wang Yang plotted to capture the thief, Li Muchen arrived at the Outer Sect City. Led by a nervous disciple from the Sky Peak, he entered the Xu Inn's main pavilion. In the middle of the enormous hall, the entire management of the Inn stood with their hands cupped in front of their chest.

The tall man at the forefront looked up, his back parallel to the ground. Dressed in blue silk robes, the man had a sharp face and was the caretaker of the biggest and most luxurious Inn of the Outer City. The first son of the Xu family and next in line to succeed it, Xu Ye. The servants behind him sweated, he would only come down when an important guest came which was rarer than the red moon. However, today's guest was much more than important.

"We are honored to have you in our humble establishment, Immortal Bian Que." Xu Ye said at the sight of the white hair man, he was the only one who dared to meet the blood-red eyes.

"It is a pleasure. Though I apologize for coming on short notice." Disguised as Bian Que, Li Muchen sounded much more polite, yet equally threatening.

Using the Thousand Faces Technique of the Myriad Assassin Troupe, he altered the shape of his face and body using acupuncture needles and heat, for the hair and eyes the Thousand Face Mask was used, the artifact he previously used to change his entire appearance. Now, he had the technique that the artifact was based on.

"Our duty is to serve, Immortal Bian. Please come by as you wish." Xu Ye didn't budge at the tone, he had long gotten used to it. "We have prepared the Divine Grade Room for you, if anything else is needed, please ring the bell to summon the servants."

"I will. Then, I'll be on my way to the room." Li Muchen knew his way around the inn, it wasn't the first time he came in as Bain Que here. And Xu Ye knew what to do when dealing with him.

Climbing the stairs to the fourth floor, he passed by murals on the walls depicting the clash of Mythical Beasts and vases that showed their aged charm, this floor only had four rooms even with the impressive size. The eery silence was filled by the soft melody of the zither that came in with the formation, pushing open the Ironwood door he arrived in the silent hall.

The floor, polished to a mirror-like sheen, laid with ornate carpets woven from the silk of celestial silkworms, each thread shimmering with ethereal light. A low, lacquered table was in the middle, half-filled with exotic fruits and glowing elixirs arranged in delicate porcelain vessels. Several doors led to other rooms, and in front was an open balcony with a variety of spiritual herbs to fill the room with a refreshing scent.

The decorated room was the least of his worries, Li Muchen had to complete three tasks within the day, and one of them was already in the process. Short on time, he left from the balcony on a red flying sword, a few guards around the Inn noticed him leaving, but none raised an issue this time.

When he reached the Inner Gate, the disciples bowed and let him pass. Word had already reached them of Bian Que's visit, so none stopped him from reaching the Chrysanthemum Peak. Landing on the foot of the Peak, he climbed up the stairs under the curious eyes of the passerby, on his way to the actual pavilion this time but he knew he wouldn't have to. The path that passed through the tall bamboo forest was where the expected meeting happened.

"Welcome to the Chrysanthemum Peak, Brother Bian." The Vice Peak Master of Chrysanthemum Peak, the woman who turned the most wasteful peak in the sect into the second most profitable one, Elder Gu Fei had rushed to meet him partway to the Pavilion. "Your habit of coming unannounced is as charming as ever."

"Not as charming as you, Sister Gu." At his words, Gu Fei closed the fan in her hand to show a smile.

"Compliments won't get you a discount, Brother Bian." Gu Fei walked closer, her proud nose just a few inches from his shoulder. "This perfume however may get you a profitable deal."

"Again with this matter." Li Muchen sighed.

"Well, Peak Master Li's personal blend is a coveted product." Gu Fei took a step back and opened her fan. "Many women in the sect are willing to empty their purses just to have a scent similar to his on them."

"Are you one of those ladies, Sister Gu?"

"Well, Brother Li's face is indeed my type, but his ambition is lacking for my tastes. With position and connections like that, there is so much Brother Li can do, yet he refuses to leave his peak for years on end." Gu Fei shook her head in dismay. "So, should I take it as a rejection again?"

"Indeed, he told me the blend on the terms that I can never sell it." Li Muchen gave her a hint.

"That's too bad, so what is Brother Bian here for? Another set of Alchemy cauldrons or special barrier devices like last time?" Gu Fei moved onto the matter at hand on the spot.

"What I am looking for is Peak Master Chen's Spiritual Root Tester. The latest one." Li Muchen saw her sharp eyebrow raise before the expression returned to neutral.

"That would usually take a month, but for Brother Bian, I can push a few people back. The usual price is 30,000 spirit stones, however, since it is a joyous occasion, I'll lower it to 28,000." Her eyes scanned him from head to toe.

"I do not know what to do with such a big favor." Li Muchen expected this.

"Just do not forget about it, Brother Bian." Gu Fei was willing to make compromises, but only for people she knew would make her a profit. And Bian Que stayed at the top of her list. "I'll have it delivered to your Inn room before the sun sets, it is the usual one, right?"

The ever-elusive alchemy genius has stepped out of his cave and decided to take on disciples. A new wind is about to blow over the Continent. The fan hid her smile, but her amethyst eyes looked forward to the future.

"Yes, then I'll take my leave. If I ever make up my mind regarding your proposal, I'll contact you." Li Muchen tried to get away before he was roped into something else.

"Brother Bian has my transmission token, so there isn't a need for any formalities between us. If you had contacted me, I would've brought the device to you personally."

"I can't trouble Sister Gu like that." Li Muchen stepped back.

"You can, Brother Bian. You can." She stepped forward.

"If it weren't for the glint in your eyes, I would've thought that you were flirting with me, Sister Gu." Li Muchen had long been a target of those fox-like eyes.

"Who knows, maybe I am?" Closing her fan, Gu Fei showed a captivating smile before shaking her head. "Let us have some drinks next time, I have a good pot saved up."

"I look forward to that." Li Muchen turned to leave. He had no intentions of ever having a drink with Gu Fei.

Such an interesting man he is, just like him. She smiled already knowing his intentions. If only Peak Master Li was half as ambitious as him. Alas, Heaven doesn't create all men equal.

Li Muchen and Bian Que had a solid friendship, but only a few people knew that. Even fewer knew that Li Muchen helped Bian Que in creating an antidote for Yin Dandelion Poison, however, the man made it look like he wasn't involved at all. In the end, Bian Que received the glory. That didn't mean the man didn't have talent. He shot up from a small-time alchemist without a sect, to an Alchemist every Sect wanted to recruit. However, he had always rejected and stayed hidden, only showing up before something big happened.

"It looks like he finally going to make a move of his own accord this time." Gu Fei chuckled. Turning around, she went back to the main pavilion, her hips swaying with allure.

Li Muchen flew over the Inner Sect gate and heaved a sigh. He had completed three plans with that meeting with Gu Fei. First, the Spiritual Root Tester, with this he could finally plan his cultivation schedule. Second, the word of his visit would spread around, not only in the sect but also beyond. Gu Fei won't leave that chance to advertise Chrysanthemum Peak using his name like always. The secret identity, Bian Que, was coveted by many people. So, within a few days, every sect on the continent will know that he has come out again, and that will gather their attention.

The third plan was to create a smoke screen for his actual plan. The flying sword pointed downwards, leading him towards the Outer Sect. Leaving the main pavilions aside, Li Muchen went to the Disciplinary Hall's Outer Sect Branch. There, under the canopy made of leaves, Wu Kexin was sweeping the fallen leaves to the side of the stairs.

In another ten minutes, this will be done. With a week of work done, I'll get a spirit stone. And with the help in doing laundry and cleaning the dining hall, that'll be two more spirit stones this week, if I keep it up like this I'll have an extra 12 spirit stones on top of the ten from the sect. Kexin's mind stayed focused on the plan she had made.

"In three weeks, I'll be able to get my hand on a calming pill bottle. That way, I'll have better chances at succeeding at connecting the meridians." Her fingers did feel a little numb as the nails looked a little rougher than usual, but envisioning the bright future ahead, Kexin hardened her resolve to move ahead.

"Using calming pills early can build a dependence on them." Li Muchen said making the young girl flinch in place, the broom in her hand broke in half because of this.

"U-Um…" She looked back, unsure as to who he was. Despite her displeasure, Kexin tried to maintain a neutral expression.

His robes look expensive… he surely isn't a random person. Any rash actions could end up as a disaster for her, after all, she was only a normal Outer Sect Disciple.

"Bian Que, does that ring any bells?" Beyond the playful tone, Kexin recognized that name.

The genius Bian Que was an orphan from the Rising Sun Dynasty who rose to fame after treating the previous emperor before becoming a Cultivator on his own. His name spread across the continent in recent history and he was held up as a model physician in the Dynasty by many.

She had heard that name again recently, but the person associated with that name didn't match the appearance of the one in front of her. He was ethereal and beautiful, with his silky black hair and calming hazel eyes. Nothing like the devilish looks of the white-haired man in front of her, however, even with an entirely different eye color, she could spot the similar gaze from that day.

"Second… Peak Master?" Confused, Kexin could only see him smile.

"It is good that picked up on that." Li Muchen had deliberately let Kexin hear that name. "You must be wondering why I came here, right?"

She nodded, although her vigilance had dropped, this didn't make sense. Why would he go through the trouble to disguise and meet an Outer Sect Disciple like this? The visit seemed too suspicious. However, the question was beyond anything she could've imagined.

"Wu Kexin, would you be willing to be my Disciple?" She never thought of anything like this even in her wildest dreams.

MC gotta put in the work to build other-mc's harem... Makes me wonder how many people his disciple seduced in the original timeline, and if they ever reciprocated.
Also interesting to see MC's alt identity. And seemingly how it's more popular then his original? Or at least more well known

20: The Second Peak Master (V)

"Wu Kexin, would you be willing to be my Disciple?" Li Muchen's question froze Kexin's brain.

That proposal came out of nowhere. Why would a Peak Master be willing to take in an Outer Sect Disciple? Especially when the disciple in question had Earth Grade Low-Rank Spiritual Root. There had to be a reason for this, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. This was the famed Second Peak Master of the Azure Sky Sect.

Wait… could it be that? Staying in the sect for a week, Kexin had learned a few things that turned her stomach. Does he want me to be his lover?

According to a few senior sisters, good-looking female/male cultivators who lacked talent used their beauty to entice rich and talented male/female cultivators. That way, they'd get extra resources and use them as a crutch to support their low talent, while the strong cultivators get to have their fun. In some rare cases, high-ranking cultivators would often approach the target themselves. Cultivation was a long and arduous journey, some cultivators sought to enjoy some pleasures of life over the centuries, and it helped the less talented ones too, at least the willing ones.

Was the Second Peak Master such a person? Kexin couldn't have ever imagined that the man who looked so ethereal and otherworldly would take part in such a practice. This was the Master of her little brother, waiting in front of her with a smile after such a proposal.

Yeah… who am I kidding? However, Kexin knew the real answer. She knew her looks and was proud of them, but they weren't enough to attract someone like the Second Peak Master. The real reason was something she wanted to run away from, yet there was no helping it.

"Did… Wang Yang ask for this?" She couldn't even look up.

What else could there be? But, if he did ask this, does that mean he doesn't believe in her? Although she had known how long it could take for her to reach the Inner Sect on her own, Kexin chose to keep it from Wang Yang so he doesn't do anything like this, but he found out and did exactly that, at least in her mind.

"He didn't." Li Muchen said.

"W-Wait… so is it really that…?" Kexin's face burned crimson.

"Yes, I do want you to be my disciple." Li Muchen double-checked the sound restriction and camouflage array around them before continuing. "It is because your spiritual root is a special one."

"Special?" From what she understood it was average at best in Outer Sect.

"I never expected to see another one in my lifetime, but here we are." Solitary Plum Tree, although low in rank, it was a rare wood-type spiritual root. "According to ancient texts, this spiritual root is one of the first few to appear, and the first of its element. That is what makes it special."

Kexin had a lot to process, but even if it was the first of its element, what did it bring to her? It was still a low-ranked root in the end, it was not enough to get Li Muchen's attention.

"How is it… special?" Yet, she wanted to know more.

"Plum Blossoms can bloom even in the harsh winter, they are associated with resilience and strong will. If the cultivator's personality matches with the Solitary Plum Tree, their chances of going over their limits increase. It'll be hard still, but you can climb much higher than you think. And you are the perfect disciple for me." Li Muchen said.

"Perfect disciple?" Stunned, Kexin couldn't take her eyes off him.

"Because I've faced the same situation as you. So, I have experience with that Spiritual Root." He didn't say it outright, but she understood.

She couldn't find any hint of lies in his words. This was one of the strongest cultivators of the sect, did he really have such a low-ranking Spiritual Root? Although Cultivation was a path full of uncertainties, the slow speed of low-ranking spiritual root was almost certain. The moment a cultivator got his Spiritual root others could guess their limits more or less. For someone like Kexin, that limit was rather low. So, how could someone like that reach such a high position?

"I was very devasted when I first found out about my root, however, someone extended a helping hand to me. So, today I want to do the same for you." Even if Li Muchen's spiritual root was trash compared to his fellow disciples, his Master had always been his biggest support. Now, he wanted to do the same for Wu Kexin, but he wasn't like his Master.

"That…" Kexin felt overwhelmed, everything she could want was before her. With a low-spiritual root, her only chance at reaching the inner sect in the fastest time was to get a master from there, and now it was within arms reach. If she took this hand, it would all work out.

"So, what will it be?" Those words were like the devil's whisper.

"I…" She clenched her hand. "I am sorry."

As expected. Li Muchen looked at her trembling figure. It took a lot of willpower to do that.

"… it is not that I don't want to. But, if I do, Xiao Yang will be in trouble because of the rumors." Kexin tried to explain, fearing that the rejection would anger him.

"You know about the useless chatter going on in the inner sect?" Li Muchen leaned closer, it had come out finally.

"A friend told me about it that many are questioning his position. If I become Second Peak Master's Disciple, he'll get into more trouble." She had only heard of it last evening, because of Wang Yang's Spiritual root many inner disciples aren't happy with his position.

His connection with Kexin was also clear from his visit to the outer sect and information wouldn't be hard to find, if she becomes Li Muchen's disciple at a time like this, many fingers will be pointed at Wang Yang again.

People love to gossip even if they know it has no truth to it. I don't want to make things harder for him. Kexin gulped facing the silence as his lips parted.

"So, you are willing to give the easy way forward for him?" He said.

"For the first time in his life… Xiao Yang is serious about something. I don't want to take that away from him." Kexin was surprised when they talked about it yesterday, that is why she hid the truth from Wang Yang.

"Other cultivators will laugh if they know what you have rejected." Li Muchen's tone turned cold.

"They can. If I fail, I will only blame myself and no one else." But, she didn't budge.

Kexin already understood the drastic results this could have, if she was lucky, she might be expelled from the sect without anything else. Many cultivators were known to be ruthless, and what Li Muchen did in front of her, although to save them from Demonic cultivators, was very cold-blooded.

Right now, her fate was in his hands. But, of course, if he was anything like the Second Peak Master in her mind, there wouldn't be any danger for her or Wang Yang.

"That's good." He smiled, and it soon turned into a chuckle seeing Kexin's legs tremble like a newborn chick.

"Cultivators can stab their blood siblings in the back for a stalk of herb, and here you are letting go of a golden opportunity that many would kill for even after what I told you before." The entire conversation on the way to the caravan, letting her see the hardship of the Outer sect and every word that was spoken in the past few minutes was for this.

Although Li Muchen had heard a lot about Wu Kexin from Wang Yang, a person could change when facing adversity, for better or worse, but Kexin didn't budge. Even at the risk of her own life, she thought of Wang Yang's situation first.

"Does it matter now? I have blown the best opportunity I could've gotten in my life." Her words turned more casual since she felt it couldn't get any worse.

"Will that stop you from moving forward?"

She matched his eyes for the first time, gathering all her courage. "No. Even if no one believes in me, I'll keep going. I will stand true to my promise."

"Don't worry, I believe in you." Li Muchen stepped forward, his hand reaching out.

"Second Peak Master…… you'll believe in me?" Kexin bit her lip feeling the hand on her head.

"I will." Li Muchen had been in that position himself.

A disciple with low talent surrounded by geniuses, the doubt and question about self-worth that ate away at one's mind, the sleepless nights and sweat-filled days without progress, in times like these he never asked for a miracle that could grant him talent, all he needed was someone to believe in him, that pillar of support was all he ever needed.

I believe in you Muchen, even if Heaven abandons you, I will not. For Li Muchen, that pillar was his Master.

"Even if you don't believe in yourself, I'll believe in you. That, I promise to you today." Now, it was his turn to become that pillar for someone in need.

Kexin trembled. Her gaze fixed on the floor, she did her best to hold in the tears, but it didn't help. Coming from the Second Peak Master, this meant a lot to her, if someone like him believed in her then it didn't matter how impossible it seemed, she'd never be able to give up.

"From now on, I'll come to the outer sect and teach you once a week." He said.

"W-Wait, what?" Kexin's head snapped upwards.

"Think of it as an investment in a good prospect before they enter the Inner Sect, many Inner sect elders do it, so it isn't against the rules." Li Muchen smiled.

"What if someo-"

He pressed her lips shut with his finger. "No one has to know, it'll be a secret lesson. Since you have rejected being my disciple and entering the inner sect directly, this is the only way I have to support you now, of course, that is if you want to." Li Muchen gave her some space to think.

"No! I want to! Definitely want to!" Kexin jumped at the chance this time.

If no one knew that Li Muchen was teaching her, then there wasn't a need to worry about the rumors spreading about Wang Yang, and she can have the benefit of having a proper teacher. No one would raise questions after she proved herself and joined the inner sect the proper way.

"Excellent. You may have this now, but be sure to keep this hidden too." Li Muchen handed her a storage ring. "It has the new cultivation method you'll study from now on and Spirit stones for expenditure, so don't bother with chores any longer."

"Master… you already knew…" Kexin didn't know how to feel about this, she felt like a rat in a wheel all of a sudden.

"Being prepared for all possible outcomes is the only way to go." He smiled.

Kexin gulped, she dared not ask what other outcomes he had planned for regarding her. To distract herself, she formed a connection with the ring as instructed, inside was a single cultivation method Azure Sky Cultivation Method, Variant 1 it had a weird name, but her mind focused on the assortment of swords inside, with a pile of jade bottles, some more books as thick as her head, and most importantly, the piles of spirit stones.

"M-Master… isn't this a lot." Kexin felt scared for her life. If someone knew she had this many spirit stones, she wouldn't make it to sunrise.

"I know a thousand spirit stones are a lot for the Outer sect, but you need not worry. I'll see that no flies get near you." He said.

Before she could ask, footsteps approached them, given the time Kexin knew exactly who it was. Her friend has arrived just like every day to chat with her, however, unlike his usual smile, the brown-haired youth stopped dead in his tracks upon meeting the red eyes. Li Muchen allowed him into the Array on purpose.

"A disciple from the Sky Peak, huh?" He stepped closer, and with each step bullets of sweat slid down the dark-skinned youth in black uniform.

"L-Lu Liang, Disciple No 13 from the Fifth Hall of Sky Peak greets Immortal Bian." His head almost touched the ground when he bowed.

"Greetings to you too." The name Bian Que was well known, and being associated with it came with many benefits. "I won't disturb your talk, be sure to give Ning Fan my regards when you go back."

With a wave of his long sleeves, Li Muchen vanished into thin air. Only after an entire minute did Lu Liang look up, still covered in sweat, his eyes landed on the equally dumbfounded Wu Kexin, but her surprise was different from his.

"S-Sister Wu, I have to complete the task given by Immortal Bian. I'll see you some other time, goodbye!" Just like that, the only friend Kexin had made from the Inner sect ran away with his tail between his legs. This was when Wu Kexin understood what Li Muchen meant about keeping the flies away.

"If Master does it like this no one will come near me, let alone flies." Her face twitched, but soon a resolute look appeared in her eyes. Squeezing the ring in her palm, she vowed to keep her promise.

"I won't make you wait for long Xiao Yang." She smiled, going back to her dorms wondering if she'd have to pay for the broken broom.

Why couldn't she have become a disciple of the immortal bian instead so there would be no rumors

Would also imply that Bian is now under that sect or intending to join0get closer to it. The other seats would be more cautious of him in the future.

21: The Second Peak Master (VI) New

Fifth Dormitory, Sky Peak.

On a Peak covered with a lush green forest full of tall trees, a singular path scaled up before branching into off into directions. Lu Liang ran up this path to rush into his dormitory, it was a simple two-floor black pavilion with a slanted stone roof where disciples and instructors lived.

Some greeted him on the way, but he couldn't even register them. Almost stumbling over the stairs to the second floor, he caught himself with a huff and turned right, with a bang he entered the fourth room on the left side. The door slammed on the door, scaring the black-haired youth sitting at the table.

"I am so done for… I might die… I might die this time…" Ignoring the sharp glare from the young boy, Lu Liang fell flat on his messy bed, crying tears of bitterness.

"Were you caught two-timing again?" The boy turned back to the table, fixing his grip on the horse hair ink brush.

"No… no… this time it is worse." Lu Liang buried his face into the silk pillow.

"Did the girl you mess with have a Master? Well, you reap what you sow." The youth's tone was dry as a bone, with a hint of amusement.

"Don't be like this, Yuzhe! I thought she was just a normal frontier town girl with good looks, who would've thought that she would attract Immortal Bian's eye." Lu Liang flinched as the stool Yuzhe sat on clattered against the wooden floor, but without a word, the youth walked towards the door. "H-hey, where are you going?"

"To the Dormitory head so I can submit a room change application." Yuzhe said.

"Stop right there, you brat! How can you be so heartless without even hearing anything?" Lu Liang jumped off the bed and clung to the boy's leg.

"Let go of me you old man, I already have enough troubles to deal with!" Yuzhe tried to walk out of the door, but his strength wasn't enough and he was dragged back in.

"About the Iron Wood Forest incident, right? Your entire Hall had to take the fall for the head's mistake, huh? Both you and I have to suffer so wrongfully, is there really any justice in this world?" Lu Liang shed crocodile tears.

"Don't try to paint yourself as the victim you pervy bastard. I already warned you not to mess with Wu Kexin because of her links with Second Peak Master's disciple." Yuzhe tried to pry him off his legs but failed.

"I am not stupid enough to touch her, I was just planning to make her fall for me before doing anything." Lu Liang met Yuzhe's narrowing gaze. "I swear on my dantian, if I am lying I won't make any progress for the next ten years."

Lu Liang's body gave out a red glow as he felt shackles wrapping around his body, it felt like the weight of a mountain was on him, but only for a second as the oath he took came into effect. However, Yuzhe's gaze only narrowed.

"Why were you acting like you were caught forcing yourself on her?" Veins popped up on the young boy's face.

"I was scared, so kind of overreacted, sowwy~!" Lu Liang avoided the sharp gaze.

"If you don't let me go right now, I'll make you." Yuzhe's fist took on a silvery luster as his Qi flared up.

"Aiyo, so cold." Lu Liang moved back as quick as he had caught him.

Yuzhe closed the door and walked back to his study table, picking up the brush he continued from the last line on white paper, with small and precise strokes he wrote refined yet easy-to-read words. A short silence fell over the room as Lu Liang rustled into his bed, compared to Yuzhe's bed and area his side looked like a pigsty.

"Are you writing a letter to your sister again?" Lu Liang asked.

"I wasn't able to in the past week because of constant remedial tasks."

"All you talk about is weather and the mundane tasks. Write something interesting for once."

"I don't have experience in exaggeration, above all, she enjoys knowing these, a normal day-to-day life is like a fairy tale to her." Yuzhe said finishing the letter, leaving it on the desk for the ink to dry, he stood up and stashed away the supplies with care.

"What a weird pair of siblings." Lu Liang rolled over on the bed watching him fold the letter into an envelope. As Yuzhe was getting ready to leave the room, he spoke up. "Have you thought about Elder Ning's offer?"

Yuzhe halted his steps. "Not yet."

"You are wasting the best opportunity of your life. If you had chosen already, you wouldn't have been caught in the strife of two Hall heads with this incident." Lu Liang sat up on the bed. "You are a model disciple in Fourth Hall, but because you were in the wrong place you had to suffer on account of someone else."

"…Do cultivators time to do these things with Demonic cultivators roaming free?" Yuzhe couldn't understand the infighting.

"High-ranking cultivators have all the time in the world, but we do not have that." Lu Liang said. "So, choose before the situation gets worse. Peak Master Zhou is breathing down everyone's neck in this case because the Second Peak Master found it."

"…I think it would've been the same regardless of who found it." Yuzhe said.

"You are a new kid so you don't know, they are known as the Dragon and Tiger of Azure Sky Sect. I wouldn't be surprised if even harsher punishment is meted out after the investigation is completed, just so Second Peak Master can't intervene or complain about it." Lu Liang lay on the bed. "After the last Disciple Selection when Senior sister Sun rejected Peak Master Zhou's offer and joined Second Peak Master, the situation is tenser than ever."

"…I'll think about it." Saying that Yuzhe walked out of the room, closing the room behind him. Descending the stairs, he stood by the main entrance for a moment letting others pass by.

"The Righteous cultivators aren't as righteous as you used to talk about Father." He muttered holding the letter close to his chest, with a sigh he marched towards the Disciplinary Hall at the top of the Peak.

"The requested item is in here, Immortal Bian." Xu Ye personally brought the delivery to my inn room.

"You have my gratitude." I said.

With a bow, he left me alone. Closing the door, I walked into the bedroom. Sure to close the door and windows shut, a few formations to avoid any interference or eavesdropping were laid down. Under the bright light from the stones stuck to the ceiling, the spiritual root tester was placed on the wide sandalwood bed. The white slab had a dim light running through the numerous inscription lines, it had recently been used to check for any problems.

Before using it, I checked the artifact to see for anything that could bring me trouble. Recording or Data transmission arrays, Tracking arrays, and many more methods that Gu Fei had used to grasp Bian Que's whereabouts in the past. Although she stopped using them after the first, there wasn't a loss in checking every time as she would add them when people least expected them.

"Good, I can finally get back to cultivating after this." Not cultivating for seven days straight left me feeling weird, as it may have been the second biggest break I had taken since becoming a cultivator. Especially since I had such a strong spiritual root now.

Diving head first was the last thing that should be done because of the unknowns, but now I can. Without wasting another second, five spirit stones were inserted into the slots and my hand rested on top of the Spirirual root tester. The inscriptions of the slab shone bright, drawing in a Stream of Qi from the spirit stones, the device guided it towards my Lung Meridian using the pathway from my right palm, and then passing through other meridians it arrived at Mind Realm Gate.

I lowered my defences to let it enter my mind realm where it reached the spiritual root. Being familiar with the Mind realm made it easier for me to see the process myself, the tester used the Qi from spirit stones to see the absorption rate of the Spiritual root, if one spirit stone was used it would be Mortal Grade with 35 % consumption for Low Rank, 70% for Mid, and 100% for High. Two spirit stones for Earth Grade, three for Heaven, four for Divine, and finally all five for Immortal.

I hope there are some clues about this Black lotus in the database. Chen Zhipeng used the most complete database of Spiritual roots shared among the Four major sects on the Western Continent, and each time any sect discovered a new root it would be included without fail. If nothing is found about it with this tester, I would have to look for clues elsewhere.

As expected, things didn't go smoothly. "This is troublesome…" Sweat gathered on my brow, I knew it was possible but to think that the worst-case scenario happened.

The Black Lotus absorbed the entire stream of Qi from the stones, if the tester hadn't cut off the trail it would've absorbed even the Device's vital Qi used to transfer the information. Thankfully, the defense system of the device worked as intended, any other device would've become useless by now.

However, a new problem stood before me. Going by the rate of absorption alone it should be Immortal Grade High Rank, but that shouldn't be it. Just like my previous Root, this one had extraordinary abilities, the special ability to absorb Qi.

It would be hard for the device to make an accurate evaluation because of that. To confirm my thoughts words formed on the white slab using the light from the inscription like thousands of ants moving across the land.

Spiritual Root Name: — (Not in database)

Dominant Element: Wood

Secondary Elements: Water, Earth.

Root Alignment: Extreme Yin

Cultivation Method Recommendation: No matches…

Although I couldn't find the thing that mattered, this was more than enough. I already knew that this root was above Divine grade, that itself was more than I could ask for. With this, a suitable cultivation method could finally be chosen.

I've been so eager to cultivate that the list of all Wood element Cultivation methods was already prepared, even after excluding the ones below Heaven Grade High Rank the list had over a thousand methods. Testament to Wang Yang's dedication to always searching for a better cultivation method to give me, with the extra information and my knowledge of what suited me, it didn't take long to cut down the list to five choices.

Supreme Wood Venerable's Sutra (Divine Grade Low Rank)

Divine Garden's Path (Divine Grade High Rank)

Vicissitudes of the Lone Flower (Immortal Grade Low Rank)

World Covering Banyan tree. (Divine Grade Mid Rank)

Azure Sky Cultivation Method, Variation One. (Heaven Grade High Rank)

Among these methods, I have used two before regression and one that I was still using. Azure Sky Cultivation Method, Variation One is a cultivation method made solely for me by my Master based on the original. It took a lot to part with it before, but even among the high-ranking methods that could cause war if known, this one suited me the best.

Somehow, I feel relieved. The method made by Master wasn't lacking even with its low rank, in truth it was made to be low rank for me specially.

It allowed the user to control the amount of Qi they absorbed, but because of my low rank, I could only increase the value by half. This time, I have a high-ranking spiritual root, not to mention its ability to suck in qi like a wide-mouthed Winged Whale. Even if it has the lowest rank on the list, it is the safest option as I know the most about it, with its help my meridians and pathways won't be overwhelmed by the drastic increase of Qi either. The ability to reduce Qi Absorption will come in handy for the first time.

Exiting the bedroom, I opened the door right beside it. It was a similarly well-lit vast room, but aside from a cushion in the middle and an inscription-filled room, nothing else could be found. The Divine Grade room of the Xu Inn had a cultivation room per room, all equipped with a lesser version of the five-element array to help provide an optimal atmosphere for the guests.

"It is finally time for me to start cultivation." With bubbling excitement in my chest, I got ready for what was to come.

Join the Patreon if you are interested in reading ahead.

I'm glad we can finally see him get some progress. A lot of set up has taken place, just need to leave things in the oven to start paying off.

His fellow disciples are going to be shocked once he starts making progress again.

22: The Second Peak Master (VII) New
Exiting the bedroom, I opened the door next to it. Inside was a well-lit room, but aside from a cushion in the middle and inscriptions that ran through the white floors and walls, nothing else was there, not even windows. The Divine Grade rooms of the Xu Inn had a cultivation room, each equipped with a lesser version of the five-element array to help provide an optimal atmosphere for the guest.

With the white jade token placed on the cushion, it took a few minutes to set the array to gather wood, water, and earth Qi using the spirit stones. As the Qi formed a low-hanging fog on the floor, I took my seat and closed my eyes. Knowing how hungry my spiritual root was for Qi, I cut the absorption rate down to 25%, it was the lowest my method allowed, before this I had always used it to increase the absorption rate.

Nevertheless, my breath calmed soon after I followed the familiar pattern, two long breaths in, holding them for five seconds before releasing it all in three quick bursts before repeating. I was like a fish in water, the Qi came in through my nose entering my Lung meridian, having practiced this method for centuries made it easier to guide the Qi through the meridians, everything was working fine until the stream of Qi entered the Dantian where I had to condense it.

A dantian was a metaphysical storage for Qi, not visible to the naked eye but it did exist. The spiritual root and mind realm, these two were a part of the person's soul, similar to them Dantian only became active when a cultivator started their journey becoming the shield for the mind realm and the spiritual root. The moment Qi entered my Dantian it reached the Black Lotus, in reaction the ominous-looking flower stretched its roots looking for more. The absorption rate shot up about ten times in an instant.

"Quckh!" The taste of iron reached my tongue.

My ears rang, sending a piercing pain through my head as if someone had hammered in long rusted nails inside while hitting me straight up once in a few seconds, the lungs were half filled with blood making it harder to breathe, but the flow of Qi wasn't interrupted, if anything it was increasing as my pores opened up. Violent coughs erupted soon after. Something hot dripped down my chin, cracking open my burning eyes, the red in my vision confirmed it.

"Kaack—!!" Blood, my blood stained my clothes and the white floor.

My entire body was burning up like a furnace. It hadn't even been ten seconds, but my meridians and Qi Pathways felt like they were twisting in place, it was like someone had poured molten iron inside them. The spiritual root dictated the absorption of Qi, but no Spiritual root participated in the process. However, my root wasn't simply participating, it was trying to kill me.

I have to break the cycle, if I don't this won't end with simple damage. My body could inflate and end up exploding if I didn't stop this soon, the best case scenario was ending up with destroyed meridians, in other words, a cripple.

Staying conscious took its toll, the only way to end the cycle was for someone to stop me or my body moving subconsciously. The latter was my only hope, being with Wang Yang for years had trained my sense of danger to an unusual degree. The moment my mind registered the danger, my body moved on instinct to counter it.

My hands clamped down on my nose and mouth, cutting off the major flow of Qi as I stopped the array using my mind. However, the problem was far from over, the meridians and Pathways were still overflowing with Qi.

Many people say that the worst pain is one that affects the soul, and I agree. It wasn't half as painful as this when I was trying to find the cure for Yin Dandelion, the first time I felt pain like this was facing the Disaster God before dying, but compared to that, this was bearable.

"The world may try… but the only one who can stop you, is yourself." Forcing the numb tongue to move, I chanted this over and over. "Do not lose focus in the face of pain, do not fret while… facing adversity, to gain enlightenment in life should be your sole purpose."

Tranquil Pond Technique. A secret Buddhist technique to strengthen the soul and clear the mind even in the face of great pain, imprinting it in my mind beforehand was the right choice as this technique had helped me always.

The soothing warmth washed over me, drowning the pain a little, it wasn't much but now it felt more bearable as my focus shifted. Clear energy left my dantian. The stream connected to the closest Meridian and started to draw in the Qi towards the Dantian, emptying the pathway along the way. Leaving the meridians like this would continue to make the situation worse, so, the Qi under my control reached the next meridian and started to drain it too.

Such complex and small-scale manipulation inside the body was the reason Azure Sky Cultivation Method Variation One was important to me, the other cultivation methods would've guided me to expel the volatile Qi from the meridians, but doing that would make me suffer a backlash for the broken concentration on top of the accumulated damage. The result would be some twisted meridians which would require a few months of rest and expensive Heaven-Grade Soul strengthening pills, the damage to the body was easy to deal with. However, with this cultivation method, I could take the boon equal to the suffering, which was only fair.

Normally, the suffering would far outweigh the boon, but not this time. Regressed to a lower realm now, the countless insights gathered throughout years of rigorous cultivation lay within my memory, so unlike a normal cultivator who had to gather these insights while absorbing Qi, I only need sufficient Qi and the insights will fall in place, however, this type of cultivation was equally dangerous as this was part of the reason for the jump in the absorption speed.

The stream of Qi that entered my Dantian started to stick together, and soon a thick fog formed resembling clouds, the color of these clouds darkened as they condensed further till they could no longer hold their shape, and the collapse resulted in the rain of a million droplets of Qi, that rained down like a storm, but this was only the first step.

Cultivation resulted in two things, the nourishment of the soul and the strengthening of the body. The presence of Qi alone nourished the soul, but strengthening the body depended on the effort and skill of the cultivator, especially in the Golden Core realm where the most important parts of the human body, organs, were strengthened.

I have never done this without meditating, but still, the process remains simple.

The liquid Qi left my dantian in a stream, circulating between the twelve meridians in a constant cycle. The organs connected to these points were the core of the body, their strength was the most vital part as it was the last stage of body strengthening for the Qi Cultivators. Strong organs make a strong person, it was true even for cultivators.

The Heart's pumping strength, the Liver's filtration of poisonous substances, the digestion ability of the stomach, and the kidney's effect on blood, all these properties helped a cultivator live better and absorb the strong pills while increasing their natural immunity. The liquid Qi used the meridians to enter the organs and start repairing any damage sustained till now before strengthening them.

Beads of sweat rolled down my face as the pain started to come back again, there wasn't any room for accidents so I strengthened the Tranquil Pond Technique and continued the process. After two hours the Qi was reeled back into the Dantian where it started to compress, in the Golden Core realm one had to turn the liquid Qi into a solid form and fill the dantian 90% with a hollow center to reach the Peak of the realm.

Clumps started to form within the liquid and sunk low to land on already solidified Qi, soon the liquid Qi turned into a golden sludge. Using the Qi pressure to vibrate the entire layer, the clumps started to close in, and the water in between started to escape upwards. Now a thin layer of liquid Qi sat above the solidified Golden Qi waiting for the next round of absorption.

Being hasty wouldn't help, even if I want to continue right now. I hadn't even cultivated properly and my dantian had 75% solidified Qi in it, making me jump from the 6th refinement of the Golden Core to the halfway point of the 7th refinement layer.

I had never seen such speed in my life, but the danger was equally great. The absorption rate of the spiritual root had far exceeded my expectations even after suppressing it, part of it was the root's ability and the other was my insights into the realm. However, my body was far too weak to support this speed, it had cultivated using an earth-grade spiritual root thus my meridians and pathways only matched that grade, and they aren't strong enough to support the changed root right now.

Although the chances of things going this were high, not trying would've been much more damaging as the only way to find more about this spiritual root was to enter a secret realm, and to enter that I would need to be at least at the 5th lamp of Soul Formation Realm.

If I simply continue this, it wouldn't be long before the growth halts or I become a cripple, both weren't good endings. The only way to circumvent this was to either get new meridians or strengthen the current ones, with my identity the first option couldn't be followed, so, my chips rested on the second one.

I apologize in advance Iron Body Deity, it looks like I'll have to dig your grave much sooner than I expected. Desecrating a respected figure's resting place wasn't something enjoyable to me, but it was necessary if I wanted to execute even half of the plans in my head.

"I'll be sure to put it to good use…" I paused for a moment hearing the low but strong tone. "My voice changed back."

The pressure on the acupoint must've been undone because of the violent muscle spasms and constriction due to pain. If it affected the vocal cords then other areas should be the same, in the full body the situation became clearer. The slanted shoulders, one protruding outwards more than the other, the left arm looked longer than the right by a few inches, but the worst part was the face.

In the mirror's reflection, Bain Que's strong, masculine features confront my original face's softer on the left, more soothing appearance. Bain Que's sharp eyebrows and narrow eyes exude authority and determination, contrasting with my original face's defined jawline, cat-like eyes with double eyelids, fair skin, and a small, inviting mouth. While Bain Que's traits had more strength and character, my original face's natural beauty proved universally attractive. Although my choice leaned more towards the Bian Que look, my original face has helped me a lot in tough situations.

But it does bring me trouble because people don't forget me even if they have only met me once, I guess the excess Yin Qi did have an effect after all. Leaving the disadvantage out, the silver needles helped me bring Bian Que's look back together in a minute.

It was a blessing to have this technique as it changed my real body instead of veiling it with an illusion, something that can be seen through. The technique even helped in manipulating the musculature to change the body shape by a good margin to provide another layer of illusion, with this I won't get discovered because of the Artifact's limits again.

"No use crying over spilled milk now." Eating a Heaven Grade healing pill, I began to circulate the medicinal Qi through the pathways to repair them while also giving some care to the meridians.

The current objective was to bring them back to their original state before leaving for the Iron Body Deity's Grotto Heaven. I did plan to bring the disciples there as it only helped cultivators in the first three Major realms, but because of my situation, the plans need to change. The lightning rod called Wu Kexin wouldn't be enough on her own.

I have to add more fire so the smoke catches Zhao Jun's attention. After cleaning the mess on the floor, I changed into a fresh red robe before leaving the room.

All of the tasks on the list for today had come to fruition, only the new one remained now but that wouldn't take too long. Knocks came from the main door, when it opened Xu Ye bowed slightly, his hands in the front. Behind him were a few servants with their eyes glued to their feet.

"We are here to invite Immortal Bian for dinner."

The sun had already sunk a while ago, in a way he came later than usual because the Lesser Four Element Formation was in use. More time than intended had passed because of the issues that came up, staying here any more would be delaying things for no reason.

"I have somewhere to be, so maybe next time." I said in a clear and concise manner

"We'll prepare a grand feast for Immortal Bian the next time."

From the looks of it, he had already done that this time, but he'd put that food to good use so I could leave without worries

"Before I leave, there is a piece of information that might interest you." I said.

Waving his hands, Xu Ye sent the servants behind him away. With the two of us being the only ones on the floor, his expression turned serious, although he had always been a cautious type, he never missed information from any source, especially when it came from someone important like Bian Que.

"The smell of rotten wine is strong in Qingyun Province these days."

His eyes widened slightly, even his poker face wouldn't help as looking for this information was at the top of his priority list. The rotten wine was a code word for Demonic cultivators, and this bunch made a new stronghold in Qingyun province around this time. Previously, the plan was to use them as combat experience for the disciples, now, I'll use them as bait. Of course, someone like him wouldn't simply take it and go.

"…Why would Senior Bian tell me this?"

"It is compensation for keeping your nose out of our business." This was the best response and the one that made the most sense given how Xu Ye was.

Letting him snoop around my disciples and plans wasn't ideal, he already knew of the close friendship between Li Muchen and Bian Que, which made the entire thing easier as this threat would make more sense if it came from Bian Que, someone known for his selfish and rude behavior.

"Immortal Bian and Peak Master Li have nothing to worry about, The Xu Family is forever loyal to the sect. I hope Immortal Bian can pass the message on to Peak Master Li." He bowed, and although it looked like he was trying to let the storm pass, I knew the message had reached him.

The Xu Family was loyal to the sect, but Xu Ye's loyalty lay elsewhere and the same became true for the Xu Family as of late. After all, Zhao Jun was the one who supported him in reaching his position and the two were from the same generation, this information would reach that guy and get him out of the sect before the fixed time.

"I'll be sure to pass the words on through the token. Though I wanted to meet him, that guy was too enthusiastic about gathering herbs for his disciples. Then, until next time." I said, walking past him.

"Until next time, Immortal Bian."

He didn't suspect a thing about Li Muchen being missing, no one would because it took years of repetition to build these alibis and recognizable habits that had now become a part of me. Looking at the silk pouch in my hand, I smiled.

It is time to force the soldier into making a move of his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back