1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome back to QQ. The search function will be unavailable for some hours until the index has been rebuilt.
    Dismiss Notice

Reporting Etiquette

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by LurkingInTheDeceit, Jun 24, 2020.

1. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

Scenario here: When you’ve come across potential rule breaking and there’s more than one post involved, but someone uninvolved with the rule breaking has handily compiled some of the rule breaking posts in one message, should you report the uninvolved parties compilation post so moderators can get a quick overview or individually report all the problematic posts?

2. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

For me, I usually just report the most egregious, then make a note there are more in the thread.

rocket501 and LurkingInTheDeceit like this.
  3. LurkingInTheDeceit

I do that too, I just wondered what would be easiest for moderation and whether reporting a non-rule breaking post might be a forum Faux pas for some reason.

4. Generic_Generica

Generic_Generica Verified kōhai Moderator

The staff don't care if you report multiple rule-breaking posts, just don't be an asshole about reporting.

IE; don't brag about or outright threaten to report someone in threads on the forum in an attempt to use the moderation staff as your personal cudgel, don't report literally every post in the thread, that sort of thing. Just use your best judgement.

5. LurkingInTheDeceit

I guess it’s a case by case thing, if someone has gone to the trouble of quoting a load of people to tell them to knock it off then there’s generally not much point of reporting unless they continue. If they continue, I can just report that continuation with some context included. Totally with you on the bragging or threatening thing btw, reporting someone and telling people about it feels way too confrontational for me to ever do.

6. GLH

GLH Really?

I've been told that reports on Xenforo are kind of like posts in a thread. So you can include quotes, urls, and lots of details. I've also been told that it's always better to include too much information than not enough info, as the more details you give the mods, the easier it is for them to figure out what is going on. Reports also show what was in the post as it was reported, so if a user deletes or edits the post, the mods can still see what was reported at the time the report was made.