• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Ruby Haze [Archie Sonic SI]

Chapter 29: Plucking Narcissus, Part 1
Ruby Haze
Chapter 29: Plucking Narcissus, Part 1

It'd been quite a while since I'd had to deal with performance anxiety. Usually, it kicked up something fierce before I was about to run a session of one of my regular campaigns, if I knew the stakes that night were going to be particularly spicy. It didn't matter how much planning I did in advance, when I did happen to plan how that night was going to go instead of playing it by ear, the anxiety that crept up in the leadup game time could ratchet up to nigh-intolerable levels. If I could get past that uncomfortable experience, then the game itself could proceed smoothly. Usually, my players didn't notice a piece out of place.

The reason this relatively inane worry came rushing back to my mind was that it was flaring up all over again, when the stakes couldn't possibly be higher. My scheme was explained to them all a couple of times over, so that everyone knew the parts they had to play. Simple in nature, difficult in execution, and it wouldn't survive contact with a stiff breeze, let alone Enerjak. I was expecting something to go wrong, but even if it didn't, I'd have to scrap the rest and improvise when he took to the stage anyway. I let myself get comfortable with the powers the Phantom Ruby gave me, and I knew for a fact that he outclassed them in every direction.

Just wait for the signal and go.

The forest floor of the Mushroom Hills were littered with dry, autumnal leaves, shed from tall trees that competed for space with colorful toadstools as tall as redwoods. I wished I had time to ask Knuckles about how the ecosystem adapted to the constant movement of the island, but the answer was probably magic. Between the gigantic mushrooms were more humble ones the size of houses, complete with doors and windows. I couldn't tell if the huts were made out of hollowed-out mushrooms, or were wooden constructions made to resemble fungi in case Robotnik's spy bots came snooping around. The robots that were sent by Enerjak weren't on the topmost shelf of intellect, but they had enough processing power to knock and ask the terrified civilians if they heard the bad news at gunpoint.

Like the Mushroom Hills, Charmy Bee was also an uncannily familiar sight. He was small, about two feet in height, wearing a yellow and black shirt with short sleeves the same shade of red as his sneakers. The determined-looking bug had his signature black helmet with holes for his antennas, complemented by round goggles brought down over his eyes to keep out dust. The young bug's thoughts were clouded in an aura of green, bright glints of Enerjak's influence poking out his eyes. Expanding my awareness beyond that first layer, I could perceive the enchantment as a dark, winding chord, coiling and twisting around the bee's natural thought patterns until one end bit the other.

This'll be better than what Knux and Vector are gonna do to get Espio back to his old self.

⟁ ♦ 90

I was almost grateful when Metal Sonic ran out of patience and started his rampage a few minutes earlier than he was supposed to. The echoing roar, heard for miles and carried down the mountain, was our starting gun. Figment gave me the visual confirmation that the super badnik was engaging with the concentration of bots at the Ice Cap mountain, while my familiar kept an eye out for when Mighty the Armadillo came out to fight him. That left Fiona with the Mechanix at Carnival Night, Vector and Knuckles in the Rainbow Valley, and finally myself over the Mushroom Hills.

The bee switched to high alert when he heard the sound, flying straight up, above the forest, to get a better view of the disturbance happening miles away.

"Huh? What the heck was that--?" I discarded the invisibility I'd been maintaining and enveloped the bee in a wave of ruby energy! "HEY!"

I ignored his plea and grabbed him, snatching the bee out of the air so he wouldn't go anywhere while I disabled the mind hex.

"I'm freeing your mind!" I shouted at him. "Think liberating thoughts!"

⟁ ♦ 88

Trying to defuse Enerjak's magic with finesse was a different experience than when I smashed it with brute force. The spell was a slippery and sinuous thing, guarded by large mental blocks that let it wriggle out of reach. Once I had its number, the Enerjak's rough handiwork would unravel at the pull of the Phantom Ruby.

Shoddy. Amateur.

Fix now, complain later.

Fine. Watch and learn how the master unweaves a mislaid spell.

Waves of magenta fog leaked into Charmy's mind, smothering and consuming Enerjak's magic like white blood cells on bacteria. Or a virulent disease out-competing a weaker infection. I double-checked the Ars Ixia for instructions on how to do this kind of procedure "correctly", reducing the amount of damage I did on my target, and one of the things I had to do was locate the part of Charmy that wanted this glamor to break.

"Espio, help me!" Charmy cried out, the young bee helplessly wriggling in my hands and beating his wings in a vain attempt to free himself.

I felt my grip on Charmy slip as the Phantom Ruby snatched the exposed hex by the tail. One rip, and it'd come apart. Unfortunately, if there was one thing I'd figured out, it was that the effect my magic had on people wasn't pleasant.

How did I think this was more humane? He's only a kid!

Am I so certain of that? Look closer.

Perturbed by that intrusive comment, I looked at Charmy deeper. When I grasped onto the mind control spell, a few memories shook free. I wasn't trying to pry, already seeing what I was doing as a significant trespass, but I automatically read the fragments of Charmy's life as they were presented to me.

A golden kingdom of domes, spires, and hexagons. A golden kingdom whose beauty is never tarnished, even as the rest of the world crumbles around what was once the honey-yellow jewel of the west. There goes West Mobotropolis. There goes the Wolf Pack Nation. There goes Sand Blast City. They all fall, and the Colony of the Golden Hive remains. A golden kingdom of peace, stagnancy, and--

--Expectations for me to stop playing around and grow up already, when I haven't even had the chance to see the world! Smell all of the flowers that Mobius has to offer! Live my own life! I like Saffron, sure, but thirteen is way too young for me to tie the knot and spend the rest of my life as a do-nothing king!

"Wait, you're thirteen?" I said incredulously, having automatically snapped back to the Mushroom Hills when I heard that.

I had to mentally skip over the bit about Charmy being a prince or something. That was odd, but it was already a thing in the British comic. Him being a teen was much stranger.

"How old did you think I was?" Charmy said, having been distracted from his attempt at escape. "You were gonna say I looked older, right? Right?"

How was I supposed to know this Charmy was closer to his age in the old Chaotix manual than not? He still looks like a child!

"…Younger," I answered hesitantly.

He frowned.

"Tell me it was at least eleven." I was quiet, trying to hold on to Enerjak's hex before it went anywhere. "Ten?"

"I'm gonna go ahead and focus on breaking this hex, okay?"

Suddenly, Charmy shrunk down to the size of a real bee and began whizzing around my head! With his escape, my grip on the hex came loose!

"Mom says I'm a late bloomer!" Charmy buzzed angrily. Then he flew away!

He can size shift?!

My enhanced eyes were just enough to keep up with where the minimized bee was going. Charmy dove down, and when I followed, I was buffeted with lasers from Enerjak's robots!

"You're making it a lot harder for me not to hurt you!" I said as I tried to ensnare Charmy in a net of crystal threads.

⟁ ♦ 85

Charmy flew around the net, which fell on a troop of robots instead. I flew down and swung my arms wide, battering more of the robots before they could react. When my eyes were off Charmy, he switched directions on a dime and darted towards me at full size!

"Then I'll hurt you instead!" Charmy shouted, and he turned and aimed his giant stinger!

"Charmy, no!"

He jabbed me in the chest with his dagger-sized organ!

⟁ ♦ 80

Charmy's stab went straight past the ribs, through a lung, and stopped close to the heart. The attack was a level of sheer viciousness I'd never expect out of Charmy on a good day. Then again, this wasn't a good day for anyone present.

The wound went a lot deeper than when I was shot with mere arrows, and venomous compounds were liquidating my nerve tissue.

⟁ ♦ 77

I collapsed to the ground, forcing Charmy's resolve to quaver. He got some distance from me and waved off the robots that were closing in.

"I'm sorry!" Charmy said, shocked by what he'd been forced to do to me. "Surrender now, and I'll ask Enerjak to fix you! How's that sound?"

I shrugged off the illusion of a crippling blow, which was only a little painful. I then honed in on the exposed part of Charmy that was rebelling against his violent compulsion, and stretched my hand forward until it locked onto his helmet.

"Hey! Let go of me!"

Crystal outgrowths formed from my hand across the surface of Charmy's helmet and goggles. The soft approach was only doing me so many favors, so I yanked the headgear off and smacked him. Hard.

"WAKE UP!"

⟁ ♦ 75

The hex shattered as Charmy spun, and the fight went out of him instantly. I got closer and held the woozy bee in one hand. He was free to take a rest, at the same time I was being encircled by Enerjak's mechanical goons. I attached Charmy to my back with a safety bubble and used my spare hand to whip out a machine gun from Null Space.

⟁ ♦ 70

It was a Frankenstein-style heavy weapon, cobbled together as a custom order from the hyenas. The shortened barrel and pistol grip were intended for someone whose hand wouldn't snap off from the insane recoil, making it easy for me to grind down the horde before they could return the favor.

Switching one eye to Figment's vision, I could see that the super-sized Metal Sonic was running into trouble. An avalanche of debris came tumbling down on the super badnik from the nearby village, slowing down his rate of attack.

Figment? What's going on over there?

My familiar got closer, focusing his vision towards a red dot next to a windmill. The foundation of the windmill quaked and crumbled, before falling onto Titan Metal Sonic as a heavy mass of rubble!

"Face me for real, you dust mite!" Metal Sonic bellowed.

The red sphere catapulted off the ledge, dropping like a hammer on Metal Sonic's head! Uncurling from his ball form, the black and red armadillo banged on Metal Sonic's hull with his fists and rattled the super badnik's entire body against the base of Ice Cap. Out of the brawl's participants, it seemed like the mountain would be the first to crack.

"Is this real enough!?" Mighty the Armadillo shouted.

Metal Sonic grabbed Mighty with his large manipulators and flung him into the snowdrift.

"You were holding out against me last time, weren't you?"

Mighty popped out of the snow, cracking his knuckles with enough force to carry an echo.

"I don't like to go all-out, in case the wrong person gets caught up in it, but Master Enerjak is commanding me to rip you apart!"

Metal Sonic fired up his thrusters and rammed towards him, claws bared!

"Feeling mighty confident, huh? Time to remind you why you needed a whole team to BRING THIS GIANT DOWN!"

Mighty rolled downhill to meet him in a clash. I stopped my split remote viewing when my machine gun was obstructed by another flying bee!

"Be cool, man!" the frightened bug cried out.

This new bee's attire was markedly different from Charmy's. He was wearing a blue helmet with aviator goggles, a long, red scarf, and a bee-striped bomber jacket.

"Outta the way!" I shouted at him, shooting down what looked like the last of the enemy robots. "It's dangerous out here!"

"Not without my best bud! Let 'em go, ya big lug!"

I stopped, lowering my weapon.

"You mean him?" I lifted up the snoozing Chaotix member. He was already out like a light.

The newcomer flew up in my face, waving his arms and pointing.

"Yeah, him!" I put Charmy in his hands. "Woah!"

"Please get him out of here. I'm trying to fix this whole thing and I'm on a time budget!"

The bee held Charmy by the wrists and flew upwards.

"You with the--"

"Chaotix and yes! Now move it!"

"Uh, sure! I'll take him back to his place in the Strawberry Fields while this blows over!"

"You do that."

"Thanks, dude! You're pretty alright for a--"

I warped to the garden settlement on the other side of the mountain range.

⟁ ♦ 65

In contrast to the rest of the island, which was undergoing (if not moving through) a winter season, the glass-roofed greenhouses of this iridescent region kept it nice and warm for its reptilian residents. Over half of what was commonly referred to as the Rainbow Valley was covered in this way, making its status as just another forest an impressively detailed façade. The geodesic domes were impossible to recognize as such from the ground or by looking at them from the sky, providing little glare as sunlight passed right through the strange, invisible materials that composed them.

It was obvious that the chameleons didn't want to advertise how much fine control they had over their secluded enclave on the island; all of that would've remained unseen if I didn't have the Phantom Ruby to tell me what was there and what wasn't. Including a pink chameleon girl with long hair, white gloves, and yellow boots. She was curled up in a bush. Eyes shut, breathing shallow, trying to be as silent as possible until the danger passed.

The chameleon hadn't noticed me yet. I walked forward, to ask her where the others were, when I realized that she was already too terrified to give me a straight answer.

I shifted my form, taking on the shape of a magenta chameleon. My disguise was closer to Espio as I knew him in the games than what I saw of him when we fought. This one didn't have his metal bracers, and his shoes were still green rather than purple.

"Are you okay?" I said gently, approaching the chameleon with a medical kit in my hands.

The young woman jumped up with a frightened yelp. Once she'd identified me as a fellow chameleon, her body relaxed, and her eyes went to my accessories.

"You're from the homeland!" she said, relief clear in her voice. "Like Espio and Valdez!"

The homeland? Was it because I copied Espio's ninja gear? I wasn't exactly sure what she was talking about, but I didn't have time to disagree.

"What happened here?"

She grabbed onto me like a life preserver.

"You have to help us! Espio betrayed the Rainbow Valley to invaders!"

Seemed like Espio had, under Enerjak's orders, revealed where the rest of his people were hiding. With the Rainbow Valley's proximity to Nekronopolis, devoting his forces here for the specific purpose of rounding up the stealth-inclined chameleons made sense.

"Espio isn't in control of his actions," I explained, as I checked her over for injuries.

"I-I don't understand."

She doesn't have anything useful. Move on.

Not. Yet.

"His mind's been taken over by dark magic," I answered. "Don't worry. I'm here to help."

"Who are you?" the pink chameleon asked, taking a step back. She let out a wince of pain, then shifted her weight more on one leg than the other.

Espio, Valdez. Noticing a pattern.

"My name is Inigo. What's yours?"

"L-Liza," she stammered out.

"Liza. Can you walk?"

One of her legs was injured. Probably caused by her running, losing her balance, and falling.

"I don't know."

"Try this."

I went to my medical bag and pulled out a crutch that wasn't there before. Having a couple of staves in Null Space, it only took a mote of magic for me to adjust one of them into something she could use to get out of here.

⟁ ♦ 64

"T-Thank you, Inigo."

I looked her in the eyes, to make sure she was still with me.

"Liza, I need you to take cover in the outskirts of the Rainbow Valley. The robots can't see you without another chameleon pointing you out. Tell the same to any other chameleons you run into that they need to make themselves scarce. Do you understand?"

"Yes. I… understand."

"Did you see where Espio went? Or the Chaotix?"

Liza gestured in the direction of the largest camouflaged domes. From that direction, I could hear the muffled shouts and other sounds of active combat.

"They're all at the Botanic Base! Please! You have to hurry!"

I broke into a run towards the dome, leaving Liza to handle getting to safety on her own. Breaking through one of the large, triangular windows of the greenhouse with a shoulder barge, I discarded my chameleon cover and rammed into the nearest robot I could.

"What took you so long?" Vector called out over the cacophony of the fight.

The crocodile took off his headphones, aimed the peripheral at the robots, and hit 'play'. The result was a sonic blast that knocked a line of them off their feet!

How has he not deafened himself by accident?

How should I know?

I wasn't asking you!

In the Botanic Base, a multileveled complex where living spaces were much more compact and densely populated, using any of my firearms was completely out of the question. I grabbed one of them by the neck and slammed them into the next, hard enough that I was left holding little more than an aluminum skeleton.

"Charmy was trickier than he looked!"

"But you got him back, right?"

One of Enerjak's bots fell atop the yellow plunger of a large, cylindrical capsule, like the kind that Eggman used to hold animals in the games. Several of them had been strewn about the inside of the greenhouse village. When the button was pressed, the capsule ruptured open, and several panicked chameleons went running out.

"Yeah, he's taking a rest in the Strawberry Fields! What're those containers?"

"The mechanauts are using Robotnik's leftover Prison Eggs!" Vector stated. "Hit the button on top and they crack!"

I tossed the metal frame and stretched my arm and hammered another one of the Prison Eggs open with my fist, freeing the chameleons inside them. They scrambled out of the Botanic Base, through the exit doors and up the walls towards the vents in the roof.

"Did you stop Espio yet?" I asked.

"Have you seen the new moves he's--!" Vector ran towards me! "LOOK OUT!"

"Your life is forfeit to his will!" Espio cried.

I looked up and got a kunai lodged in my jugular!

⟁ ♦ 60

Ow. Honestly, Charmy's stinger was worse. I removed the knife from my neck and cleared my throat. Looking upwards for a second time, I could see Espio the Chameleon was spinning like a top midair, throwing shurikens and other sharpened implements as he jumped from treetop to treetop. Knuckles was in hot pursuit right behind his friend, trying to catch him from the air and punching through any mechanauts that got in his way.

It beats calling them "robots" all the time.

I need to wrap this up and move on to the last one. Then I take care of Enerjak.

"FREEZE!" I shouted at Espio, a command followed by the sensation of a frigid wind that caused him to lose his concentration and drop!

⟁ ♦ 58

"You have no command over me!" Espio proclaimed.

Espio performed a ukemi, landing on his hands to zero the damage from his fall and converting the rest of his momentum into a spinning roundhouse kick to my jaw!

⟁ ♦ 55

I cast my hand out and put a portal on the wall where Espio was about to land after his counter, causing him to go from sticking on a nearby wall to falling from the ceiling.

⟁ ♦ 52

"Knuckles! Hold him still so I can--!"

"I've got it!" Knuckles shouted. He glided upwards and punched his friend in the stomach.

"Oof!"

Being exhausted by Knuckles and Vector chasing him before I got here, Espio was done. I ran to the chameleon, putting my hands to his head. The spell was identical to the one on Charmy, scrambling Espio's priorities so that he valued the word of Enerjak above all. His friends were a disorganized mess of feelings cast into second place, which meant they'd normally be near the top. I didn't have time to pry further, even if I wanted to.

"Let's try that again." I drowned out the fighting to swifty deprogram Espio while Knuckles and Vector covered me. "SNAP OUT OF IT!"

Since it worked last time, I smacked Espio to make the counterspell stick.

⟁ ♦ 50

The Phantom Ruby destroyed the hex, purging the most blatant and odious elements of Enerjak's influence from Espio's mind. His body went slack when I was done, by which point the Botanic Base had gone still.

"Is he back with us?" Knuckles asked.

I set Espio down on the ground, as gently as I could.

"Yes and no. He's back to normal, but he's not gonna be up again for a couple hours."

"We will keep guard over him," a new, more mature voice said.

Turning around, I saw a blue chameleon with red gloves and a matching red beret. He looked old enough to be Espio's older brother, or maybe his father. I could see flat-out invisible things, including the other chameleons, and I didn't notice this one at all.

"He's safe!" Knuckles said, noticing my guard was raised. "That's Valdez. Espio's mentor."

"I'll explain to the others what has happened," Valdez continued.

Vector put his headset back on once the last of the Prison Eggs were smashed open.

"Thanks Valdez! Think you guys can take things from here?"

He gave the crocodile a curt nod.

"The invaders have left enough weapons lying around that we can take care of the stragglers. Go now. You have other places to protect."

"He's got that right," I replied.

I snapped up another portal, this one going to what remained of Carnival Night's Hall of Mirrors exhibit.

⟁ ♦ 45

"You'd make a killing delivering pizzas with these!" Vector joked.

"Vector…" Knuckles started.

"Just trying to lighten the mood," Vector said, less enthusiastically than before. He walked towards the portal. "Things are getting pretty intense, you know?"

"Don't sweat it, Vec. We'll beat this guy."

Vector turned around to give Knuckles a high-five.

"You know it, Red! See ya on the other side!"

Vector stepped through the vortex. I turned to Knuckles.

"Do you remember what to do?" I asked him. "In case this doesn't go as planned, or… in case Enerjak gets the best of me."

I had just enough time to write down a short list of stuff he needed to deal with after beating Enerjak, in case I didn't make it. Once that was done, I gave it to Figment and made a secondary one for the Freedom Fighters to receive.

If I died, or turned into something else, then I wouldn't leave them all empty-handed.

"Of course I do!" he shouted. "Now go save Mighty like you said you would!"

Figment sent me another update on how Mighty and Metal Sonic were doing. The mountain village was damaged by their duel, looking like an avalanche or two had blown through. The mountain itself had taken more than its fair share of bumps and scrapes. Mighty was covered in bruises, but still standing. Metal Sonic's mecha state was down an arm, and his eyes had gone from red to green.

"Will do!"

Figment, fall back to Carnival Night!

My familiar bobbed his head and took off for the staging ground for the trap. I exited the Botanic Base through one of the broken windows and took to the air, heading northwest towards the snowy mountain. Which gave me a short-lived view of Nekronopolis.

It was plain to see that Enerjak was a big fan of the classics. The buildings were dark and brooding, hewn out of slate, pumice, and granite by magic. Several towers spat out plumes of noxious smoke, if for no other reason than to add texture to the atmosphere. Zipping past the evil fortress, but not so close that I would be in range of the mechanauts manning the laser cannons, I transmitted a psychic message directly to Metal Sonic.

"Hey Metal! Need some help over there?"

I gave him the power-up. Ergo, I was free to patch myself into his senses. Same as with Figment. I switched one of my eyes to what the badnik's cameras were looking at, which was Mighty, partially blocked by a 'LOW POWER' warning.

Metal Sonic sluggishly swiped his remaining arm at the armadillo.

"Wrapping up my end of the deal!" Mighty caught the arm, which became a liquid metal enveloping his body! "This organic still needs air! If he suffocates, then I win!!"

I flew faster, preparing to make another portal and save Mighty if he didn't back down.

"Killing wasn't in the deal, Metal! You're supposed to knock him out at the most!"

"You're really cramping my style, man!"

The metal mass reshaped itself around the armadillo, solidifying into a long cylinder that Metal Sonic braced against the nearest rock. Mighty went tumbling down the shute, as the super badnik's HUD pulled up a rangefinder widget. His targeting computer skimmed over the nearby peaks, then stopped at the lava-spewing Red Mountain at my back.

"Metal, what're you doing!?"

"It's Metal Sonic 2.5! Not to be abbreviated! And I'm out of juice! If you want him knocked out, then you take care of him yourself!"

Metal Sonic fired the cannon before I could object, launching Mighty high into the sky! The force of the shot caused the cannon and the rest of his transformed state to liquify into inert metal. The super badnik climbed out of the remains, his new body the Mechanix made for him and a scrap-eating grin being all that remained.

"You guys gave me a repair job, I played the distraction! You shot at me with a missile, I shoot at you with a missile! We're even, and I'm out of here!"

Metal Sonic rocketed away from the island, leaving us to whatever fate had in store.

"METAL!" I called out, to little avail.

"One last thing!" Metal Sonic shouted in my head. "CATCH!"

"Catch? What the hell is he--?!"

I was cut off by Mighty barreling into my chest as a dense ball of pain!

⟁ ♦ 40

The ground became the sky, and vice versa, over and over again, as we both went spinning into the base of the volcano! The ground became all-encompassing when we drilled through the slope on impact, the sky replaced with the luminous reds of the lava reefs!

⟁ ♦ 30

Mighty landed on a rocky cliff inside of the mountain's hollow, spacious interior, but I didn't stop rolling until I was falling over a shallow pool of magma!

"Fire shield!" I cried out! "Fire shield!"

⟁ ♦ !!

I breached the molten rock with a hot splash and a tremor of force from the impact. By the time I'd clawed myself out of the thick, viscous fluid, I was over a foot taller and over a hundred pounds heavier than I was moments before.

"Not now!" I growled. The intense geothermal activity mixed with the lack of sunlight down here were the perfect catalysts for me to become a dragon once more.

Mighty rose to his feet, staring down at me.

"You again?" Mighty said, putting up his dukes. "Raring to go another round already?"

"We can do this the easy way, but I have a feeling it'll be done the hard way!"

Mighty leapt off the cliff, driving his fist into the ground hard enough to cause another quake! All around us, the floor spurted out even more geysers of magma!

"Same here! I'm finishing the fight you started! And this time, I want you to stay down! PERMANENTLY!"

- - -

This is the fic's two-parter! I know folks were expecting the Enerjak fight to happen this chapter, and to be honest, so was I! However, I didn't want to speed through the Chaotix boss rush when there was so much action to cover! So I split them in two, and the next chapter will be the second half of Plucking Narcissus!

All of these areas on Angel Island are locations that more or less exist on Archie's treatment of the place, but weren't quite getting their fair shake. Some of these aspects (such as the Rainbow Valley and Botanic Base being the same) were very late additions from Super Sonic Digest #2. It's generally understood that the name changes were done for legal reasons, but I took advantage of them to make the story more exciting!

I'll try not to drag-on with the next chapter. See you then!

Did you know I have a Patreon and Ko-Fi? You would have earlier, but I only now realized I forgot to put them in my signature! My bad!

I've made a new boilerplate message to go at the end of each chapter, and it'll look like this:

♦ Want to support my work? ♦
PATREON | KO-FI
♦ Join the W2 Workshop Zone for previews and updates! ♦
W2 Workshop Zone Discord

This chapter has been brought to you by the following patrons and beta readers: Captain Nameless, C-Moon, Dr.doom360, Hellatrix, Justquestin2004, and N'Oni!

Thank you all for the continuing support!

Last edited:
Datafile #3: Golden Hive Colony
ENTRY #3: GOLDEN HIVE COLONY

A beautiful flower on Northamer's western coast, the Golden Hive Colony is a city state whose contemporary existence is rooted in the most recent Day of Fury, in the early 3100s. The Queen Bee Dynasty is rumored to go as far back as the Forgotten Wars, though with practically zero records from this period surviving into the modern day, that may simply be Golden Hive-sponsored propaganda. This polity of pollinators has prospered where others have withered on the vine due to a combination of shrewd diplomacy and a motherload of money.

The founding myth of the Golden Hive is one of generosity. The colony began as a humble, agrarian hive, whose inhabitants were gifted with green thumbs and the benefit of foresight. After the Day of Fury unleashed an earthquake, the rivers receded, and the forests were stripped barren of life. While the bees were spared further hardship due to their sizable granaries, which were meant to feed the hive during harsh winters, the same could not be said for the Wasp Colony. For generations, wasp warbands would raid bee farms to plunder their harvests. The wasp hive was taken to the brink of starvation by the famine, so weakened by hunger that they could not so much as raise a sword against their former victims. Rather than take their revenge, the bee colony accepted the wasps into their hive as their own.

From this act of kindness, the seeds of an unbreakable alliance were sown. The unified colony traveled the deserts and prairies further south, establishing peace accords and economic ties with their neighbors to survive the harsh seasons following the Day of Fury. The bees made for good negotiators, and the wasps were their security against aggressors that might bully the miniscule bees into less than ideal arrangements. To this day, the demographics of the Hive Guard is skewed towards wasps whose families have been protecting the colony since its inception. The fortuitous discovery of rich gold veins near their colony after the disaster were seen as a sign that this new hive was destined to blossom. The world-famous gilded hexagons of the Golden Hive Castle were erected as the hive entered its golden age, and a creative arts renaissance was quick to follow. I've been told that their mead is to die for.

While a majority of those living in the Golden Hive are bees, followed by wasps, one doesn't have to look far to find ants, beetles, butterflies, or moths. Numerous mobians have immigrated to the hive in order to escape the strife plaguing the rest of Mobius. The Golden Hive has practiced neutrality for much of its history, opting to stay out of the Great War to continue this tradition. Hoverver, it has been rumored for years that the colony took money from mobians and overlanders alike under the table. Such an arrangement couldn't be made with Robotnik, as he's unlikely to be satisfied with a few drops of gold at a time when he could ransack the whole pot. The fortifications of the bees and their sheer distance from Robotropolis would make such a prospect an expensive one, rivaling how much he'd have to gain in the first place. Rather than invade now, Robotnik has settled for closing the distance over time, building up his passion project of West Mobotropolis and breaking down the Golden Hive's former trading partners. This embargo by process of elimination has not yet borne fruit, but being steadily isolated from the rest of Mobius has caused the citizens of the colony no small amount of distress.

The Queen Bee is the supreme ruler of the colony, though this absolute power is rarely expressed by overt means. Queen Melissa Bee, while a well-renowned patron of the arts, may not be diverting all of the money in the cultural enrichment budget towards commissioning grand works to keep her bees busy. The Rebel Underground, an infrequent pain in Robotnik's western front, may allegedly benefit from the Queen Bee's patronage as well. King Winsome Bee, in spite of presenting as another foppish trophy husband, has been an active participant in the intrigue games of the major guilds that have weathered the tumultuous Robotnik Era. Their daughter, Princess Apollina "Polly" Bee won't be of age to ascend to the throne for another decade, but it's common protocol to marry off an eligible male heir to a merited merchant princess so that there's a viable Queen Bee backup. He selected Saffron, heiress of the textile guild; an arranged marriage with someone Prince Charmant was already close friends with was expected to make the whole process run more smoothly.

Prince Charmy's acknowledgement ceremony has been indefinitely postponed for reasons undisclosed to the public. He has not been seen outside of the castle in over six months.

This is the third datafile, in which I gave myself two challenges.
1. Make the Golden Hive interesting, even though they only appear three times over three issues they aren't the main focus of and are then summarily killed offscreen, giving me effectively nothing to work with.
2. Don't use the word "honey" once. Until now, that is.

I was so annoyed by the whole Golden Hive amounting to nothing after being introduced at the drop of a hat that I determined I had to do this. I did so much bee research (as well as some light research on Switzerland and Florence) that it isn't even funny, but I am now armed with a swarm of bee puns to name future characters.

Next update will be revisions to Chapter 29, followed by work on Chapter 30.

Update!

I had to go back and make some revisions to Chapter 29 because the part with Metal Sonic and the SI was difficult to parse. Not just for readers, but for me on a reread. So I went back, and it should be easier to tell what's going on there.

Now I can work on the next one!

Chapter 30: Plucking Narcissus, Part 2 New
Ruby Haze
Chapter 30: Plucking Narcissus, Part 2

When one guy declared to the other that they're not going to stop fighting until at least one of them was dead, that tended to be when the conversation ended. Mighty and I were past the point of talking this out, staged to duel in an active volcano for Enerjak's amusement, and the subtle bits of the Ruby were locked away while I was in dragon mode. It didn't matter that the sun was out there, because the dire conditions of Red Mountain and the light being blocked were 'close enough' for me to go weredragon. I'd need to bring the armadillo around to see things my way by force, kicking and screaming.

"Bring it on!" I roared, driving my hand towards him!

My arm swept wide, scraping against the walls with a long claw swipe. Mighty ducked out of the way, charging at me with a reckless haymaker of his own! I flapped my wings, taking myself upwards as he punched a large dent into a cliff face. Both of our attacks triggered steady trickles of magma to leak out from the sides of the molten pit, the 'safe' sections inside the volcano to dwindle. The environment was definitely too much for me to survive as my normal self, so I had to work with what I had in dragon mode.

I delivered a jab to the back of Mighty's head while his back was turned, but my hand bounced off an incredibly dense concentration of subdermal plating. The armadillo's shell deflected the attack like it was nothing.

"That was dirty!" Mighty growled, yanking his hand out of the hard stone.

Mighty whirled around and rushed me a second time, after which came the most brutal brawl I'd ever experienced. I had a feeling he'd be the most difficult member of the Chaotix to deal with, and in spite of that I'd underestimated the level of danger Mighty the Armadillo represented. He'd swing at me, I'd try to swing back with the same level of intensity. Joints popped, ligaments stretched, bones were rattled, and muscles burned. Each attack drove another quake through the volcano, kicking up clouds of ash and lumpy pillars of igneous rock. Several of those boulders would make their way into our hands as blunt instruments with which we'd use to pummel one another until they turned to rubble.

Our fight gradually traveled far away from the crater, the rising tide of magma causing what were once stable rocks to float and ferried us further into the subterranean caverns deeper into the volcano. These tunnels were hardly dark, illuminated by the burning embers, hanging torches, and red hot skulls along the cliffs that expelling infernal gouts of flames. The odor of sulfur and brimstone was overwhelming, and the ecosystem was infrequently broken up by machinery from Robotnik's failed conquests. When I thought that the hostile terrain would give Mighty pause, he rolled off one of the natural ramps and skipped across the magma on his shell to deliver a nasty uppercut!

Savage kicks, bites, headbutts, and fireballs were thrown in for variety. There was little finesse to either of our techniques. I wasn't that experienced at hand-to-hand, having eventually drifted towards using melee weapons before the claws came in, but right now I had five knives on each hand and I was rapidly running out of reasons not to use them. I could tell that Mighty rarely had the opportunity to fight with other people at his level, having to steadily unwind more and more of the mental restraints he'd bound around his strength to avoid hurting anyone. Restraints that were steadily wearing away.

I had to admit, I was less worried about Mighty's well-being after he punched me in the head hard enough to snap one of my horns off.

When an opening made itself known, I raked my claws across Mighty's chest. The end result was a couple of gashes and only a light trickle of blood.

"That hurt!" Mighty yelled, from the fresh pain of the grazing wounds.

I thought Metal wore him down! How is he this strong?!

He's going for a grapple!

Mighty stretched his arms wide for tackle, but I snatched his extended hands and pushed Mighty towards the magma before he had the chance!

"You're not giving me a lot of options!" I shouted, struggling to pin him down with my mass.

Exposing the armadillo's lungs to the fumes leaking out of the volcano was the only 'gentle' way I could secure a knock-out. At first, it looked like I had enough of a size advantage to bring him to his knees, but Mighty wasn't budging. At all.

"You really thought your weight class was gonna carry you through?" Mighty asked, in an unimpressed tone. His eyes were bloodshot from smoke, and he was seeing red. "Pathetic!"

Suddenly, Mighty rammed me in the stomach and burst free of my grip! With the wind taken out of me, I was unable to stop him from grabbing me by the arms and pulling them, hard, until the rest of my body was dragged along by the momentum of my elastic limbs!

"I thought you'd be a better workout!" he groused, before bringing my arms upwards and bashing my body onto a stony plateau with enough force to go through it!

I went straight back into the molten drink, my eyes awash in a bright orange glow as I fought against the waves to resurface!

"You're gonna make me feel bad if this is too easy!" I heard Mighty taunt as I went under.

It was hard to describe the viscous current as anything less than perilous, more akin to a boiling mudslide than anything approaching water.

"Ha! Not so invincible after all, Scarlet!"

Bruin? Barbe Vis?!

I couldn't even sputter out a response. I clawed against the fragmented ceiling of the magma river, but the rocks above me made me feel as though I was on the wrong side of a frozen lake. My wings were more of an impediment than anything else, dragging me further down into the geothermal riptide.

I was resistant to being instantly fried by the magma as a dragon, but without my force field or any other magical intermediary to protect me, that meant I was drowning instead of burning. Drowning experiences were becoming a recurring note, but I didn't know if I could pull myself out of the drink this time.

"If you're serious about helping us, then let me know when you're willing to man up!"

I just need more time to fix everything!

"Yer big n' strong, so what're ye holdin' back fer? Put yer back into it!"

I'm trying!

Trying isn't good enough! I can't help anyone if I'm weak!

♦ !̵!̷

I surged through the magma with a renewed vigor and tore right through the surface! With a wild snarl, I ripped open more rents in the tenuous earth below and filled the air with destructive streams of fire!

"Throwing a tantrum?" Mighty said coyly, eyes flashing green. "Why don't you fly over here and face me like a mobian!"

One of those thrashes was different from the rest I did for show. I stomped down on the edge of the rocky platform where Mighty stood, flinging him towards me! He rolled into a ball, and I used my tail to lash him back against the crumbling pillars with a vicious bounce.

I noticed a pattern as we fought. Mighty would roll up into a ball to block, and pop open again when he was ready to counter. That wasn't working for me, so I changed the rules.

Mighty rebounded, and I struck him again with a two-fisted swing. He hit a half-melted mechanism that sunk into the magma. After a third battering with my foot, Mighty uncurled from his ball form and kicked off the wall with his feet!

"Take this!" Mighty called out, trying to slam two fists down on me!

I brought my hands forward, one over the other, and snatched the armadillo from the air! Pressing my hands together, I rolled him back into a ball once more!

"Put me down!" Mighty shouted, unable to uncurl with my hands keeping him trapped!

Being a superpowered armadillo, Mighty's shell could clamp down with tremendous force. The muscles that made him tighten up into a sphere were much stronger than the ones that'd let him open again. With my hands locked on him, he was invulnerable and helpless.

I raised Mighty over a jagged hunk of hard stones that caught my eye, and bashed his carapace against them. Repeatedly. Harder and harder, causing scuffs and bruises to crop up across the surface of his unbreakable defense with each impact. His shell could be as tough as he wanted, but with nowhere else to go, the rest of that force was running through his relatively unarmored body.

I wasn't fighting Mighty like a mobian. That wasn't in me.

I wasn't even fighting him like a man. I was far past that.

I was fighting like a monster, and a loud crack was all I needed to know that this fight was over. I set Mighty down on a stable rock, suspended over a sea of molten death. A wet, ragged cough from the armadillo told me he was at my mercy.

"Ray…" Mighty muttered weakly, before his eyes slowly closed.

Ray? Did something happen to--?

It was enough to rouse me from my enraged state.

Mighty! If I killed him--!

--Then it'd be a mercy compared to letting him stay under Enerjak's control.

He wouldn't be my first. He won't be my last.

I never wanted to--

"I left you alone for a @#$% hour, and this is what you got up to?!"

My train of thought was interrupted by a very irate Archimedes poofing onto my shoulder!

"Archimedes? What're you doing here?"

"Making sure you don't go too far. With beating the hex out of Mighty or renovating the whole Queendom."

"Queendom?" I looked around, taking in details that I was previously too distracted to take stock of. This new crop of tunnels that lined the interior of the volcano, rather than being vacant, contained numerous small buildings of an unmistakably Hellenistic style. I thought it was a trick of perspective, but these structures were miniscule. "Oh no."

It didn't take long for me to figure out that those were fire ant tunnels, as mobians similar to Archimedes were scurrying around to repair the parts of their village that were the most impacted by the seismic activity. Tears and rents had ravaged the place, and more sections had unglued themselves as we spoke.

"Welcome to the Molten Mounds. I'd roll out the welcome mat, but as you can see, we've got our hands full trying to avoid a total collapse."

I looked at the damage, stunned.

"Did we do all of this?"

Archimedes let out a frustrated huff.

"Red Mountain's been actin' up since you-know-who came back to town, but you two gettin' into a slugfest down here sure as Aurora didn't help any." He looked towards Mighty, a flash of concern appearing across his face. Before I could say anything, Archimedes teleported to Mighty's side to check his pulse. "He's alive. You broke a couple of bones stopping him before he brought the whole place down, but he'll walk it off."

"That's all I needed to know."

Archimedes' antennas flickered back and forth, faintly glowing in the cavern. A handful of fire ants separated from the rapid response swarm and carried Mighty down into the tunnels to safety.

Is he talking to the other ants with those?

"The Queen ordered an evac to the deepest parts of the island until the tremors pass. It's bad down here, but it'll be much safer than what's happening topside."

His antenna twitched again.

The fire ants are psionic. Archimedes has been relaying intel back to someone else.

"If I knew you lived in the volcano, I would've tried to move the fight away from here," I said after a pause, which I needed to process that new information.

He shot me another annoyed look.

"I didn't expect to see you down here, either. Enerjak has a bone to pick with our kind, and the Fire Ant Council was hoping he wouldn't notice we were still around."

I glanced around, trying to figure out where I might be able to assist with the evacuation in spite of my more ponderous size and limited toolkit. Another tremor ran through the tunnels, followed by a green luminance, and I saw a clump of the ceiling come loose! I reached out and grabbed the loose rocks before they could land on a group of fire ants trying to flee from the disaster. When the whole roof looked like it was about to give way, I froze the ceiling in place with a blast of ice.

"That's not gonna last down here!" I shouted to them. "Move it!"

Numerous fire ants in light armor crawled out of the holes in the tunnels and stacked atop each other, interlocking their limbs so as to construct new support beams over the ceiling. I took to the air and raised my hands up to assist them and hold the roof up, but I could feel a mounting pressure pushing against us.

The pressure intensified, the overhead space giving way until my feet were back against the ground. Struggling against an occult hand that was pushing down on the mountain. If there was any doubt before as to who was doing it, a psychotic cackle ran past the tunnels and through my mind.

Enerjak! Set aside your feud with the insects and face me!

Are you nuts?! We can't fight him down here!

"Scarlet!" Archimedes called out. I turned my head to see that he was gesturing towards a large tunnel that wasn't there before. "This way!"

"Not… yet!" I grunted, trying to buy as much time as I could for the fire ants to escape. The wounds I'd picked up against Mighty were taking their toll, and I was brought to my knees from the accumulated pain!

"Oh, for the love of--!" Archimedes hopped onto my snout! "We're all out except for you!"

My vision was briefly covered in red smoke, and when the smoke cleared, I saw that Archimedes relocated us to a new cave that was covered in cyan stones and bright blue crystals outgrowths. In front of us were a series of ancient echidna ruins and a red, glassy sphere on a stone altar, surrounded by bands of gold.

"You're a real load to lug around, y'know that?" Archimedes grumbled. He used my nose as a springboard to reach the ground.

When I identified my face as having a cartilaginous nose again, I noticed my snout was gone. Then, my wings and tail. Looking up, I could see that the ancient echidna teleporter had a large skylight above it, transforming me back to normal. The energy that built up in the power gem attached to the Ruby released at once, and instantly restored me.

⟁ ♦ 50

"Take the warp pad," Archimedes said weakly, having been exhausted by the jaunt. He crawled over to the side of the teleporter and smacked it, causing a red beam of light to fire straight through the skylight. "The plan we cooked up to take care of Dimitri isn't gonna fly while he has his eyes on us, so I'm giving you a shot to try your idea first."

I approached the lightbeam. I could only hope that they got the machine ready by now, because I only had the one shot to get him towards it.

"Dimitri was Enerjak's old name, wasn't it? Before he went cuckoo for chaos energy."

Archimedes let out a tired chuckle.

"You catch on quick, don't you? My predecessors jotted down Dimitri as the brother of the first Guardian, and the reason we have a Guardian in the first place. Because no matter what intentions they had going into it, for good or for ill, not everybody can handle unlimited power when they have their hands on it."

I nodded, understanding his point. Enerjak was something I could still become.

I will never become him.

That's not as comforting as you think it is.

I channeled the power of the Phantom Ruby through my body an additional time. From the heart, which I bade to beat faster, allowing the energy flowing through the rest of me.

What's going on?

I have half a tank of energy, and you need fifty rings to go super.

Don't forget, I also need seven chaos emeralds I don't have.

It worked fine in Efrika. I need another edge that'll make me stand up to Enerjak's whole
'turn me into salt' thing you mentioned, no matter how long it lasts!

That wasn't a super state. It was a cry for help! And
I answered.

You're… what, the Phantom Ruby's autopilot?

I felt something bristle at the notion.

I'm me. I'll help out again, but this time, I don't even have rings to hold my form together!

Can't I burn the power gem? Heavy said it could mess with spacetime. Mix that with the Phantom Ruby, and… I don't know, fake a super mode?

Wishful thinking. No power gem could give you that much power… but it might be enough to protect you from Enerjak for one attack. Then it'll be worthless.

I can work with that.

You keep saying I can't hold back. Losing your nerve?

No. Those limiters were put there for a reason, and the black streaks on the Phantom Ruby mean they're irrevocably broken. I need to do this fast, or I'll be unraveled by the chaos force for writing a check I can't cash. End of story.

I took a deep breath. In, and out, feeling my power well up. Accepting that the only way I could stop this madness was to confront it head-on, I stepped through the stream of light.

The teleportation effect was unlike anything I'd experienced, even when I was using the Phantom Ruby to get around. I felt my whole body become weightless, my constituent atoms suspended midair before being transmitted in a straight line though the volcanic mountain and towards the sky.

All of that upwards momentum was suddenly halted in its tracks when a gauntlet wrapped in gold and lapis lazuli snapped its way around my neck.

"At long last, I've caught the meddlesome pest that's been vexing me."

My eyes fluttered open, and I was face to face with Enerjak. An echidna in gold and blue armor of a vaguely Egyptian bent, with a helmet that framed emerald green sclera and a wide grin fit only for a madman. In his other hand, Enerjak held a green scepter capped with the head and sharpened beak of a predatory bird.

My first instinct, the same as everyone else's, was to bring my hands around his and try to break free from his grasp. Around us was the eye of a mounting storm, the black clouds that have metaphorically hovered over the island making their existence more literal.

"An overlander?" Enerjak observed, his voice possessing a strong, enervating quality to it that demanded one's attention. "I was told by my new prelates to expect a dragon, but such ignorant lessers are bound to make mistakes when left unattended. Was it your kind that sent that irksome machine to test my power?"

"Hands off!"

Enerjak tossed me away, and waved his staff ostentatiously.

"You presume to make demands of a divine being? Since you went to the effort of overcoming my four champions, and making quite a show of their defeats, I'll let you have your piece before rendering judgment!"

I halted in place midair, the two of us standing high above the island.

"I'm giving you this one last chance to stop whatever sick game you're playing. You have no right to subjugate others to your will, regardless of what powers you possess!"

Enerjak laughed. When I tried to look him in the eyes, all I saw were eleven green chaos emeralds. They were separate, individual chaos emeralds, and yet, they were also a single whole in the shape of an echidna. Both at the same time, and something else.

In fact, looking at Enerjak almost felt like I was looking at--

"Is that all you sought to expend your words on? A futile appeal to morality that has no bearings on the rights of a god?"

I slowly shrugged. I didn't expect it to work, but I could feel that I needed a few more seconds before I was ready to really kick off. The Phantom Ruby was glowing brighter, my curly hair sticking up on the ends. The power gem on my hand melted away, like another ring fueling my stone of power. With its dispersal, I felt an invisible energy barrier enclose my body, denser than anything else I'd put together.

"You aren't a god, Dimitri. You're an echidna in super mode with delusions of grandeur."

His manic smile drooped, yet it remained beyond the proportions that his face should be physically capable of supporting. The dark clouds drooped ever closer, and I could see that Enerjak was toying with an emerald green bolt of lightning in his hands.

"I will not broker such disrespect from a hairless ape. Have you anything else to say before I have that irreverent tongue of yours cut for flippancy?"

"One last thing."

"Then say it, and prepare to face the wrath of a god!"

Ready?

Ready.

Then let's do it!

♦ !!

We shoved our fingers into Enerjak's eyes, creating a direct connection to the emeralds in his body! Feeling our power gem barrier rapidly evaporate under a torrent of emerald green lightning from the sky, we ran through the fastest incantation in our entire life.

"TheServersaretheSevenChaosChaosisPowerenrichedbytheHearttheControllerexisttoUnifytheChaos!"

We were wondering where the Master Emerald was supposed to be in this dimension. This version of how the game was played, and how the pieces were arranged on the board were much different from what we were expecting. Enerjak helped us answer that question.

"MASTER EMERALD! HEAR OUR PLEA! LEND US YOUR POWER!"

This universe didn't have a Master Emerald yet, because Enerjak was holding them hostage. We felt somewhere between seven to eleven jolts of limitless, infinite chaos energy jolt through our hands, through the veins, past the soul, and into the Phantom Ruby.

▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ !!

We disengaged from Enerjak and forced the boundless expanse of energy to settle down before it could split us in over half a dozen directions. We didn't have enough of a grasp of the Master Emerald's power to wrangle all of the constituent emeralds away from Enerjak, but we had just enough pull to use them as a jumpstart. Tikal's Prayer was the best way we had to get them to listen to what we had to say.

"What are you doing!?" Enerjak demanded to know.

We released all of the energy that'd accumulated at once, exploding into a brilliant star of mystical power! An inhuman dynamo, a magenta blaze of phantasmal chaos energy that burned like the plasma of a ruby star.

All of our doubts and divisions were set aside, as we were now unified in purpose.

Enerjak was knocked backwards by the energy we were putting out. Without a set of rings controlling the flow of power, nothing was holding us back now.

Which was bad because, in spite of the light show, this wasn't all the way to a genuine super state. This was a neon imitation. Enough to put on a good show, a good front, until we completely fizzled out. The candle that burned twice as bright burned half as long, and we were an infinite amount of times burning past twice as bright.

Were we Infinite? It took us a moment to decide that we weren't. The name didn't suit us.

We were a Phantom Scarlet, because that's all that we'd be if we didn't wrap this up quick. Blast shadows imprinted on the walls of history.

"Showing you what we're made of!"

♦ ꝏ

- - -

Not too many notes for this chapter, save to note that the initial section takes from multiple Angel Island-adjacent levels. Lava Reef and Red Mountain were significantly implied to be close to each other, if not the same location, so I wanted to showcase that. The Ice Cap in Sonic 3 and the Ice Cap in Sonic Adventure were more or less the same place, so why not Lava Reef and Red Mountain? The Molten Mounds where the Fire Ant Queendom lived were also nearby, so I brought them together as a cohesive region.

Next up, the finale of the Enerjak arc!

Next up, the first Super Scarlet Special: Shattering Narcissus!

Thank you all for reading.

♦ Want to support my work? ♦
PATREON | KO-FI

♦ Join the W2 Workshop Zone for previews and updates! ♦
W2 Workshop Zone Discord

This chapter has been brought to you by the following patrons and beta readers: Captain Nameless, C-Moon, Draconic Hermit, Dr.doom360, Justquestin2004, and N'Oni!

Thank you all for the continuing support!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back