1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

RWBY the series discussion thread

Discussion in 'General' started by OverReactionGuy, Feb 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Want to discuss the series without ranting about it? Well, this thread is the place for it.

2. 2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful

2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful Aris

I'm surprised that Gabriel Blessing hasn't shoved Shirou into Remnant and turned RWBYPVC into his harem...

Happy as well that Lancaster is back on the table.

searcher8 and Trilonias like this.
  3. tighearnach

tighearnach melancholy

1:54
    Ruby: So these... Maidens... They're powerful fighters that don't need Dust to use magic.
    Qrow: Yeah.

Dust is magic, Maidens are magic. Aura and semblances are a different kind of magic.

4. rick1497

rick1497 Well worn.

Pretty sure she was just confused about magic actually existing. As in, they don't use dust, they use magic instead. Also, remember, she's fifteen years old, she doesn't know everything about the world. And she isn't always the most articulate about what she's thinking.

Also, still no answer about how dust is any different from the hundreds of fictional materials in most science fiction stories.

5. tighearnach

tighearnach melancholy

Then why do you think Qrow replied in the affirmative?

searcher8 likes this.
  6. rick1497

rick1497 Well worn.

Because he's trying to keep it as simple as he can. Also, he was madly poisoned, it probably effected his mind some.

7. tighearnach

tighearnach melancholy

How exactly was he trying to keep things simple? Sure, he wasn't quoting Ozpin verbatim, but he was answering any questions asked of him to the best of his ability, and he didn't seem to be dumbing it down at all. He references things being complicated, but that's in regards to (as far as we know) not wanting to talk about how his semblance made him not want to travel with the group, not in regards to how the maidens power works.

There is no indication at all the poison was affecting his mind.
    Sure.
    I'm not going super detailed, because I'm not an expert on material sciences, or most of the series that the materials you listed come from. I'm sure if you took the time to look for them, you could find those analyses you don't think exist.

Element zero
    Compound created by stars going nova, somehow produces a type of "dark energ,y a real concept that has little to do with what it's shown to do. Somehow, it's powdered form can cause individuals from almost every species we know of to mutate and gain the abilty to control "mass efefcets" with their brains.
    Very magical.
    Adamantium
    The original adamantium, the stuff in Cap's sheild, was made mysteriosuly, as ti bonded whielt eh scientist attemptign to recreate the mythologcial metal in Hercule's mace fell asleep. The resulting shield is so strong it needs cosmic power to destroy it.
    Very very magical.
    Naquadah
    Aside from being "wormhole resistant", it's scientific enough that I wouldn't complain (much). Different states, different isotopes, it's presented much more scientifically than the other elements.
    Middle of the road pseudo-scientific.
    Dilithium
    Pseudo-scientific gibberish from a show that didn't eve n try to be scientific most of the time.
    ♪Bounce a Graviton Particle beam off the main deflector dish♪
    Magic.
    Tylium
    Not enough information to say more than: FTL is bullshit.
    Pseudo-scientific at best.
    Xenothium
    Volatile explosive power source. Scientific enough, at least in comparison to the others I don't feel the need to examine further, especialyl cosnidering ti shwos up soemthing like twice (powering a suit, and powering a death ray, IIRC). I guess it should probably be radioactive?
    Acceptably pseudo-scientific.
    gundanium
    Mystery compound made with a mystery method, supposedly containing many "unknown materials". Pseudo-scientific at best.

I could also go on.

A lot of science fiction does try and have it's fictional materials remain within the bounds of what's possible, or at least what your average person who's forgotten most scientific knowledge they used to have thinks is possible. There's a reason it's called science fiction. However, lite science fiction generally doesn't, and every series you listed is lite sci-fi, or a less scientific genre. A lot of people prefer it that way. Still, shows like stargate still at least try and look scientific, and it doesn't seem to negatively impact their popularity. A good example of a "sufficiently explored phlebtonium" would be tiberium from C&C, which has what, to the layperson such as myself, looks like meticulous documentation of it's properties.

RWBY doesn't try to be scientific at all, and it doesn't try to present Dust scientifically. It isn't a science fiction series, it's a fantasy series with advanced technology. With it's generally pretty terrible consistency and less than stellar animation, making it hard to tell what dust can or cannot do.
    Monty Oum is even on record as having said dust is basically ground up materia, and referring to Weiss's sword's different cylinders of dust as accessing different categories of magic.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  8. rick1497

rick1497 Well worn.

So you consider various things like dilithium and element zero to be magic. Well, that's a completely different discussion to be had, and I don't feel like arguing that Star Trek, and other science fiction shows that don't have fantasy elements, don't have magic in them with you, so I'll just stop here.

On the other thing you pointed out, RWBY is definitely a science fiction series. I looked for a definition of science fiction and found this.

"Works of fiction that use scientific discoveries or advanced technology — either actual or imaginary — as part of their plot. "

Other definitions I have seen have mentioned them being part of the world or part of the setting, not just part of the plot. Personally, I would consider the airships we see, robot armies, a communication system that has no problems with any size of data, antigravity, cyborg prosthetics, and sentient robots to fit the advanced technology, either actual of imaginary description. So yes, it is a Science Fiction series. It is also a fantasy series. These two things do not contradict each other.
    Do the C and V stand for Coco and Velvet? I'm not entirely sure, since they were fairly minor characters. I know that the V could, potentially, stand for Nora. Also, is the P for Pyrrha or Penny?

Of the two major F/SN stories that Gabriel Blessing has written, neither of them has any more harem in them than the series they are crossed with. Hill of Swords actually has fewer harem elements than Familiar of Zero has. A couple of girls are attracted to him, but fewer than were attracted to Saito and Shiroe doesn't end up with anyone, he dies alone in the distant epilogue. As for In Flight, those elements were forced by the Sekirei crossover. If he were to write a F/SN RWBY crossover, it probably wouldn't be a harem story.

As for Lancaster being on the table, I don't have a problem with that ship, but I did ship Arkos, so I'm not as thrilled as you are. Still, it was my second choice for a Juane pairing, and one of my top two choices for a Ruby pairing, and Ladybug would get in the way of my favorite Blake ship of whatever BlakexSun is called, so I don't have a problem with it at all.

9. 2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful

Nora is for Ren. PVC is Pyrrha, Velvet, and Coco.

10. rick1497

rick1497 Well worn.

So why are you including Coco and Velvet in the probable harem? They're minor characters that barely get any screen time. Also, Gabriel Blessing doesn't have a history of including every woman in a series in Shirou's harem, so it seems like quite the random assumption to make.

11. 2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful

In Flight, A Hill of Swords, etc... He only doesn't take waifu from characters that already have them, like Ren and Nora, or Guiche and Montmorency.

12. rick1497

rick1497 Well worn.

Hill of Swords: he didn't include Louise, Agnes, Tiffania, or Tabitha, all of whome played a prominent role and none of whom had canonical love interests that were available. Heck, two of them were interested in the character Shirou replaced, and were not interested in Shirou. He had fewer love interests than the canon character he replaced. And he didn't end up with any of them.

In Flight: Shirou didn't end up with Miya who wad no living love interests.

So no, Shirou doesn't just get a harem of ever female character without a love interest. There are legitimate criticisms of Gabriel Blessing's works, but you are misrepresenting them.

tighearnach, Sydonai and daimahou like this.
  13. kahna1234

kahna1234 So many lovely little darlings to play with~!

I'm just here wondering which of the Salem faction is going to do the heel-face turn.

I'm fairly sure Roosterteeth pretty much stated that one of the Salem faction is not wholly invested in Salems plan and is going to end up joining the good guys/anti-Salem faction.

From what we've seen so far, I'm going to go out on a limb and say its Cinder.

14. rick1497

rick1497 Well worn.

Emerald seems a bit more likely to me.

15. kahna1234

kahna1234 So many lovely little darlings to play with~!

Cinder has generally seemed not all that into Salems plans and the way she is being treated all throughout Vol 4. She also got severely creeped out by Tyrions frenzied killing of a grim.

16. rick1497

rick1497 Well worn.

She wasn't into being horribly wounded. Her problems were do to physical pain, not being unenthusiastic. Remember, she had no problems destroying Beacon, I don't see her getting cold feet now.