1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

SFTQ Story Dump Thread

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by SympathyForTheQuarians, Nov 4, 2022.

1. SympathyForTheQuarians

SympathyForTheQuarians Writes really fast

Hey everyone! I'm a VERY prolific short story writer, and I'm going to start cross-posting my stories here. I have over 40 short stories and one-shots so I won't post them all in order; it'll be to my preference and somewhat random.

However, new stories get priority!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  2. Threadmarks: Fallout 4: Rewrite
    SympathyForTheQuarians

Let's start with my rewrite of Fallout 4, shall we?

1 - Hello, Wasteland

Nora Miyamoto, the First Survivor, woke.

Perhaps "woke" was not the correct word, except inasmuch as cryostasis is technically a form of sleep. It would be more accurate to say she exited hibernation.

Regardless, such distinctions were not important to her. Not when her husband was right across from her and was rapidly waking up himself.

"NORA!"

"NICK!"

The two embraced for the first time since 2077.

Then they quickly got to work freeing the others from their pods.

-f4r-

NORA: So…this is all that's left?

CODSWORTH: Indeed.

MR. ABLE: Well, call me an optimist, but I think we can make this work.

NATE: How so?

CODSWORTH: We've got room for crops, we can scrap abandoned buildings for rebuilding materials…Sanctuary Hills is a bit of a fixer-upper, to be sure, but I agree with Mr. Able!

NORA: Alright, then. I guess that means we need to get a scouting expedition together.

MR. ABLE: I volunteer, and Russell and your husband should come too. We're all war veterans.

NORA: Fair enough.

-f4r-

MRS. WHITFIELD: I can't deal with this!

NORA: Yes, you can.

MRS. WHITFIELD: NO! This is just too much-

NORA: Listen to me, now. You CAN survive this. You were chosen by Vault-Tec to survive this. I want you to take a deep breath.

[breathe.]

NORA: Remember that all of us are in this together. We can make Sanctuary Hills into a model post-apocalyptic community. And as a homemaker, we could use your help starting up a school in the future.

[pause.]

MRS. WHITFIELD: A…school?

[laughter.]

NORA: We're still human, aren't we? And more people will come here. Eventually some of those people will fall in love. Give it five years, six max.

MRS. WHITFIELD: Oh my! I hadn't thought of that!

NORA: So what do you say? Can we count on you?

[pause.]

[acceptance.]

-f4r-

DESDEMONA: You're serious?

DEACON: Yep. Vault 111 just opened up, and all the residents came out. One of them, Nora, was pretty smart and got everyone armed with some abandoned Vault security equipment. Doubt they would've made it back to their homes otherwise.

DESDEMONA: Interesting. Thoughts?

DEACON: I don't know if we can use them yet - depends on how they react to the concept of synths. But I can give them a pitch, without directly mentioning our name.

DESDEMONA: And what about scouting duties?

DEACON: Glory has that covered. Things have been quiet lately.

DESDEMONA: Quiet is never good with the Institute. Still, you make an excellent argument. Do it.

DEACON: On it, boss!

-f4r-

INSTITUTE COMMITTEE MEMBER: So. The Vault has opened.

INSTITUTE COMMITTEE MEMBER: Should we acquire the residents?

THE ADMINISTRATOR: Not yet.

2 - Taking in Desolation

"Well, we made it here," Nick remarked mildly.

"Barely," Mr. Russell replied.

"Let's just see if there's anything we can use," Mr. Able chimed in.

Everyone except Nick and Nora had decided to go by their last names, for some reason. Perhaps because the desolation of the Commonwealth had made them want to forget their past lives as embodied by their given names.

"Hey, what's that up in the sky?" Mr. Able asked.

Both men looked up at Able's proclamation, and were incredibly surprised to see a vertibird. A flying one, not a rusty abandoned one.

What the…?

"I don't recognize the insignia on the side," Nick said. "Definitely not US Military."

"Not surprising," Mr. Able replied. At their quizzical looks, he explained: "I doubt the US survived the apocalypse. We're probably in the Republic of Boston or something."

"Actually, it's called the Commonwealth."

The three turned around and immediately pointed their guns at the newcomer, a bald man with black sunglasses.

"Woah, easy!" The man smiled and put his hands up. "I surrender, OK? Name's Deacon. Word around the Commonwealth is that Vault 111 opened up. I figured you guys could use a hand!"

"Bullshit," Nick retorted. "People don't just help each other out here. We haven't been awake long but we've figured that much out."

The man stared for a second, then laughed. "Damn, I'm getting rusty! OK, fair's fair. Name's Deacon. I'm with a group that you might be interested in helping."

"What kind of group?"

"Let me follow you back to Sanctuary Hills and I'll explain. You can search me and take my weapons if you want; just let me stick close! It's not good to be unarmed out here, you dig?"

The three looked at each other, and back at this "Deacon", before finally nodding.

-f4r-

"Kind of a lot to wrap your head around, huh?" Deacon asked conversationally as he poured himself a shot. "Nice booze, by the way. The pre-War stuff is hard to come by."

"Pre-War?" Nick questioned. "What does…"

"Honey, do you need to ask?" Nora's rebuke was gentle.

"…no, I guess not."

Nick and Nora had become the unofficial leaders of Sanctuary Hills - probably because nobody else really had any leadership qualities to speak of. So it was them who agreed to talk to Deacon and hear his pitch for "assisting" his organization.

Whatever THAT meant…

"So, you guys want a life like you had two centuries ago…or hell, a few days ago from your perspective."

"That would be nice, yes," Nick said. His eyes narrowed. "But don't try to sell us a bridge in Brooklyn."

"A what now?"

"…never mind."

"Look, I get the skepticism. But I'm not just here to give you something for free. We can acquire the technology to rebuild the Commonwealth, but we have to do something else first."

"What's that?"

"Capture the Institute."

Nick and Nora looked at each other, then back at Deacon. "What exactly IS the Institute, then?" Nora asked. "I'm not into destroying things I know nothing about."

Deacon sighed and poured another shot; he quickly downed it. "Got about an hour?"

"Sure…"

3 - The Railroad

2 weeks later…

NORA: Be careful out there, you two.

NICK: We will be.

MR. RUSSELL: Not to worry. I can handle myself!

DEACON: Don't worry, Nora. I know a thing or two about surviving out here. Your husband is under my protection.

NORA: He damn well better be.

-f4r-

Now was a good time to visit the Listening Station.

Nora Miyamoto had told nobody the truth, even after the end. She suspected her neighbors still retained much of their pre-war zealotry.

It did not seem wise or prudent to reveal that she was not Nora Miyamoto, but Wu Xiaoqi, and that this Listening Station had been her assigned reporting headquarters for the People's Security Bureau.

But…

There was no response. Nor had there been responses on the six other backup frequencies she had been assigned. That could only mean one thing: the People's Republic of China had died along with the United States.

She sighed, walked out of the Listening Post station, and returned to Sanctuary Hills.

My past is dead. All that matters is my community now.

"Well, hello there, Nora - if that is your real name?"

She froze when she saw Codsworth standing outside the Listening Station.

"What are you doing here? And why were you speaking Mandarin Chinese without even the slightest trace of an accent?"

She sighed again, more heavily this time. "Codsworth, float over here for a minute. We've got some things to discuss."

-f4r-

"Are you going to tell Nick?"

"No, I don't think so." Codsworth sounded pretty confident.

"Why not? Thanks, by the way."

"Were you still actively spying for the enemy, I likely would. But there is no more America, and no more China. What's done is done. Provided you agree to be loyal to our community alone, I shall not report the details of this incident to Mister Nick."

"Good." She paused. "You don't have to worry about me, Codsworth. I only care about Sanctuary now."

"Splendid!"

-f4r-

DESDEMONA: Would you give your life for a synth?

Nick: Well…

[pause.]

DESDEMONA: A different question, then. Nick, how do you feel about Codsworth?

NICK: Codsworth is a good guy. He's been a huge help to us while we got Sanctuary Hills up and running.

DESDEMONA: Would you give your life for him?

NICK: I wouldn't give my life for anyone but Nora. Doesn't matter if they're synth or a regular old human. Nobody matters that much to me but my wife.

DESDEMONA: Not exactly the answer I was looking for, but I understand where you're coming from. Welcome to the Railroad.

MR. RUSSELL: Great! Let's free some robots.

DEACON: Synths, please. Protectrons are robots. Glory isn't.

MR. RUSSELL: Fair enough, my apologies.

DEACON: Don't mention it. Let's get inside.

4 - The Vault and the Diamond

Mr. Whitfield felt relaxed, and calm. Such a sensation was indescribably wonderful after weeks of non-stop anxiety and fear.

"So…this is a Vault where people live?" It seemed a silly question to ask, but he still felt as if he was dreaming.

"It is indeed," the Overseer replied happily. "We've been around for over two centuries now!"

"And you'll admit us?"

"Probably, yes. Unfortunately a lot of our residents are still wary of outsiders, but since you and your wife are from a Vault that should be less of an issue. Hopefully."

Mr. Whitfield did not hesitate. "Done. We'll be here tomorrow!"

"Great! I'll get your work assignments drawn up. Welcome to Vault 81!"

-f4r-

NORA: We're sorry to see both of you go.

MRS. WHITFIELD: I feel so bad for abandoning home, but…I just don't feel safe out here. I don't sleep.

MR. WHITFIELD: And I've been drinking non-stop to deal with all of the stress. Vault 81 is just where we belong, Nora.

NORA: I understand. Keep in touch, and make sure to tell them to add us to their trade routes.

MR. WHITFIELD: Will do!

-f4r-

Andrew Duran, the Vault-Tec Representative, was happy.

Happiness was something he had last known in the days before the Great War. But here, as a bartender at his humble saloon in Sanctuary Hills, he had found peace again.

"Hey, Andrew!"

He smiled warmly as Nick came up to the bar.

"Howdy, Nick! The usual for ya?"

"You know it."

The shot was quickly poured and downed, and the two got to talking.

"Thanks again for letting me stay here," Andrew said sincerely. "Diamond City wouldn't let me stay because I'm a ghoul. Mr. Able wasn't exactly thrilled to see me either."

"Bigotry will not be tolerated in Sanctuary Hills," Nick replied firmly.

"You are such a nice guy! This is the happiest I've been in two centuries."

-f4r-

Diamond City looked weird.

Mrs. Able simply could not get used to the fact that the former home of her childhood baseball team had been turned into a city. Going inside, she was impressed by the ingenuity of the settlers, and truthfully - though she dared not express this sentiment aloud for fear of upsetting Nick and Nora - she approved of the ban on ghouls.

"So we're in agreement?" She asked Mayor McDonough.

"We are!" He replied happily. "Diamond City will be more than happy to trade supplies and people with Sanctuary Hills."

-f4r-

"What's it like? Waking up after two centuries asleep?" Piper asked.

"Different, but manageable," Mrs. Able replied. "The first week or so was the hardest. But I adapted, and truthfully I'm impressed by the resilience of humanity." She looked down, her expression clouded with regret. "Honestly, the thing I feel the most is guilt."

"Guilt?"

"When the bombs fell, only those who were approved by Vault-Tec were let in. Less than a dozen of us. The rest of our neighbors…well, they're probably ghouls by now. Or more likely dead."

She nodded. "Thanks again for sitting down for this interview."

Piper was thrilled. This was going to be a bestselling edition. An interview with a pre-war vault dweller? Nobody would be able to resist picking up a copy.

-f4r-

MR. SMITH: I can't believe you're still fat after two centuries, DiPietro!

DIPIETRO: Bite me, asshole!

[laughter.]

[toast.]

DIPIETRO: So, how's being a ghoul treating you?

MR. SMITH: You live forever, but a lot of people are prejudiced against ya. Oh, and eventually I'll become a mindless feral, and I hope to shoot myself before that moment arrives. You win some, you lose some.

DIPIETRO: Fair enough. And what about the apocalypse?

MR. SMITH: It was horrifying at first, but I got used to it. Settlements popped up pretty quickly. And my ghoulification meant I was able to loot the Glowing Sea for supplies, unlike you smoothskins!

[laughter.]

[pause.]

DIPIETRO: Actually, that's a good idea. Maybe you and Andrew can do some supply runs there.

MR. SMITH: Not gonna happen. I'd rather die than go back to that place.

DIPIETRO: Why?

MR. SMITH: The Commonwealth is alive. It's chaotic and violent, but there's plenty of people. Civilization is slowly working its way back up. The Glowing Sea? It's a fucking graveyard. It's just a creepy place to go salvaging. Not doing it again, ever.

DIPIETRO: Fair enough.

-f4r-

The Committee of the Institute was worried.

The sudden opening up of Vault 111 had caused instability within the wasteland. They were a new factor. An unknown factor.

Action was now required.

"Let's send X6-88 on a reconnaissance mission."

"Agreed."

5 - Far Harbor

It was a cursed place. Both Nick and Mr. Russell were in agreement on that.

"This place reminds me of Anchorage," he remarked.

"Really?" Nick asked, surprised. "Not me."

"It's the ominous atmosphere. It feels like we're waiting for the other shoe to drop."

Nick thought for a moment, and reluctantly concluded that his fellow veteran's observation was spot-on. Far Harbor put him ill at ease. There was something intangible in the air that made visiting this place a distinctly unnerving experience. As if everyone was waiting for the opportunity to attack one another, but some unseen force was holding them back.

Still, they needed the support of everyone here if the Railroad's plan was going to work. Tinker Tom was very close to reverse-engineering the Institute's teleport technology after five solid years of research and failed experiments…but they needed the expertise of the synths here, not to mention the manpower. They simply did not have enough people to successfully storm the Institute on their own.

"Where should we start?"

"By telling us what you're doing here."

Their conversation was interrupted by an old woman with short gray hair approaching their boat. It was clear from her tone that she wasn't expecting them.

"We don't get many visitors around here," she said. "Name's Avery."

"Nick." "Russell."

"Pleased to meet you. So, what brings you all the way out here?"

Nick thought for a moment, and decided to play it straight.

"We're going to destroy the Institute, and we need some help from the synths."

"That so?" She asked, surprised. "Well, if you want to kill yourselves, there are much easier ways to do it."

-f4r-

NICK: I hate this place.

OLD LONGFELLOW: Nobody asked you to come here, now did they?

RUSSELL: There's just something off about it. Why do you choose to live here?

OLD LONGFELLOW: Bah. Pampered Vault dwellers.

[pause.]

OLD LONGFELLOW: What, you think we don't learn things from traders in Far Harbor? The Sanctuary ain't exactly been subtle. Nice new name, though.

NICK: It's not that. We've been to communities all over the Commonwealth. But this place seems really hostile to people.

RUSSELL: Exactly! Like there's a big sign up that says "don't come here".

[pause.]

OLD LONGFELLOW: There's a way about the land here. Far Harbor, she either takes to you or she doesn't. Seems like you folks ain't too fond of it, and the feeling's mutual. Keep moving.

-f4r-

CHASE: So you need our help destroying the Institute?

DiMA: That is not the purpose of this place. And it would risk those who are here.

RUSSELL: We're not going to force anyone to go. It's voluntary.

NICK: And it's not like we're going to blow the whole place up. We're going to capture and use it. New synths will still be made, but free from birth.

DiMA: No more slavery. No more terror. It is an appealing prospect. But the cost…

CHASE: Some in the Institute won't go quietly. We're going to have to kill.

-f4r-

X6-88: Why do you follow DiMA?

CHASE: Why do you follow the Institute?

X6-88: I suppose I don't now that I've been captured.

CHASE: You always have a choice. We won't force you to remain here. You'll leave disarmed and without your teleportation.

X6-88: A death sentence in this place.

CHASE: Then perhaps you should listen while I explain.

X6-88: Explain what?

CHASE: Why I used to do what you do, and why I don't anymore.

-f4r-

"You what?" Liam "Patriot" Binet's eyes widened in horror.

"We're not going to kill everyone here," Nora quickly reassured him. "We've got plans for using this place. And we're telling you this now so you can evacuate people."

Liam became slightly less worried. "So what happens after that?"

"We'll guarantee anyone safe passage to Diamond City if they choose to leave the Institute. Their skills will be in high demand in that settlement. And those who want to stay will be working under the Railroad."

"Hmm…" Liam thought. "I think that can work."

-f4r-

MRS. ABLE: You know something strange?

SMITH: What's that?

MRS. ABLE: I'm getting used to it.

[laughter.]

SMITH: I'm surprised! It took me a lot longer. I guess having friends from before helps.

MRS. ABLE: You know, it does. But I think seeing people get along despite everything has been powerful.

SMITH: I hear ya. Goodneighbor is a place near and dear to my heart. Made me feel like I belonged somewhere for the first time until…well, until I came to the Sanctuary.

MRS. ABLE: I have to admit, I wasn't fond of ghouls when I first met you.

SMITH: You're not the first! But we're not so bad once you get to know us.

MRS. ABLE: True enough.

6 - Fuck the Brotherhood

PRESTON GARVEY: I have to say, you're quite persuasive.

NORA MIYAMOTO: I get that. So are you in?

PRESTON: I think so, yes. We only have a few settlements under our control, and The Sanctuary, or the Republic of the Commonwealth or whatever you want to call it, seems like a good step forward.

NORA: We've got a bit of a problem to deal with first.

PRESTON: About that. You sure you just don't want to blow the Institute up along when your Railroad folks lead the charge?

NORA: Positive. There's too many useful things there. We'll take more casualties capturing it, but it'll be worth it.

[pause.]

NORA: But first we need your help with the Brotherhood.

-f4r-

ARTHUR MAXSON: We're leaving the Commonwealth.

BROTHERHOOD SOLDIER: What? But the technology-

ARTHUR MAXSON: Is coming for us, and there's nothing we can do. We can't end up like our fallen brethren in the Mojave.

BROTHERHOOD SOLDIER: I'm afraid it's too late for that, sir.

ARTHUR MAXSON: What? Why?

[DEATH: gunshot to head.]

RAILROAD DOUBLE AGENT: Because you're all fucking dead.

-f4r-

Nora and Nick led the impromptu army onto the Prydwen quickly. The Brotherhood recovered from its shock and began fighting back sooner than expected, and she needed to get the control room if she was going to enable the EMP device.

Luckily she was an expert technician and had managed to modify it from the original plans…

-f4r-

A blinding blue flash of electricity burst across the entire Prydwen. Thanks to Nora's modifications, the EMP charge disabled every single energy weapon on the ship while leaving the synths unharmed, all of whom were using gunpowder-based weapons per the instructions. The remaining Brotherhood soldiers either surrendered or were executed. Some of the more bloodthirsty synths executed a few Brotherhood soldiers by throwing them right off the Prydwen, which Nora turned a blind eye to.

In some ways this was an even bigger victory than the Institute. It would give them the tools they needed to get into and control the latter. At long last Tinker Tom's modifications to the teleportation technology were ready. But even moreso then the Institute, the Brotherhood were the enemies of their existence. And now they were well and truly dead.

It was time to take the fight to the last ones who still opposed them.

7 - Conquering the Institute

Eighty Eight, formerly X6-88, smiled as the Sanctuary guards spotted him and opened the gate to the Starlightville Settlement. Officially independent, it was also part of what Nora and Nick dubbed the Sanctuary Community. He liked coming here because it had a reputation as a place for outcasts that did not judge past behavior, something he appreciated.

"Hey there, Eighty Eight."

His eyes widened beneath his sunglasses. "Chase? What are you-"

It didn't take him long to realize, and he stopped mid-sentence.

"Yup," Chase confirmed. "Today's the day we recapture the Institute. Thanks for your help in throwing them off the trail, by the way."

Eighty Eight smiled. As far as the Institute was concerned, he was still X6-88 and and was busily hunting Railroad "agents" - most of which were dressed up former raiders. All the while he had slowly undermined the Institute from within, and today would be his masterstroke.

There was no point waiting, was there?

"See you soon," Eighty Eight bid farewell to Chase; the latter quickly nodded and he teleported back to the Institute.

-f4r-

INSTITUTE COMMITTEE MEMBER: What of the latest reports from the Coursers?

THE ADMINISTRATOR: They are a cause of concern. We must redouble our patrols to-

[teleportation.]

THE ADMINISTRATOR: Well. It seems we have been betrayed. Hello, X6-88.

EIGHTY EIGHT: It's Eighty Eight now. And today, the Institute dies.

THE ADMINISTRATOR: And so mankind's best hope for the future is destroyed.

NICK: Hardly.

DESDEMONA: We have plans for this place.

[EXECUTIONS: gunshot.]

-f4r-

MADISON LI: On behalf of all former Institute scientists, we surrender to the Republic of the Commonwealth.

DESDEMONA: Excellent. Now get back to work.

MADISON LI: Excuse me?

DESDEMONA: Was I unclear? We have clear need for all of your technology. We will simply ensure that it is not selfishly distributed.

MADISON LI: How do we know you will use it wisely?

DESDEMONA: I learned a thing or two from my visits to the Capital Wasteland.

[shock.]

MADISON LI: I…you…

DESDEMONA: Please just do your job, Madison - Doctor Li. I promise you it will be worth it.

-f4r-

Madison Li was slowly - slowly - adjusting to life under the Railroad. They seemed genuinely interested in using the technology to improve life in the Commonwealth, which was good, but…

…well, things were different. The Synth Retention Bureau was abolished and Justin Ayo had been banished from the Institute - the only one not given safe passage to Diamond City, though apparently he had made it anyways. In the SRB's place, the new Synth Rights Bureau did everything its predecessor despised: work to ensure synths remained recognized as equal beings.

She was surprised at the insistence synths had on being equals. In most respects they were entirely superior to humans, but they didn't like to be reminded of it.

After all, it was humans that had freed them.

"Thank you for coming to my office, Doctor Li." DiMA's greeting was warm, warmer than she would have expected. She could see why he was the leader of the Synths in the Institute.

"Of course. I wanted to get a chance to speak to you alone." She paused. "I have to ask, why keep the name Institute? You only changed the motto."

"Because I have no issue with the cause of advancing science," DiMA replied. "Only with the methods you used to keep Synths in bondage. Now that that is gone, the Institute can be used for its proper purpose: to advance the cause of Earth as a whole. Hence the new motto: Earth, Recreated."

"It's a good motto," she agreed. Not as catchy as ours, she added to herself. "So, are you ready to begin the interview?" DiMA nodded, and she placed the recorder on his desk.

"Who is DiMA?"

8 - Loose Ends

Cabot House was an unusually pristine place. Nora and Smith (the latter chosen to demonstrate Nora's philosophy and test the Cabots) both had to clamp down their envy as they remembered their pre-war lives.

"Well, look at us!" Jack Cabot said cordially as he poured them each some wine and sat down at the table. "Three artifacts from a time long past. Though I suppose our friend Nora is a bit more youthful compared to myself and Mr. Smith!

"It's been a hell of an apocalypse, huh?" Smith agreed.

"Indeed it has! Fellows such as yourself who have lived as long as I have without our secret!"

"You mean your serum, derived from your father Lorenzo?" Nora asked mildly. Jack froze, and Smith grinned.

"Here's the deal," Smith began. "We're bringing an end to the apocalypse in this little corner of glorious America. The Republic of the Commonwealth will be proclaimed in two weeks time, and what was once Parsons State Insane Asylum will be repurposed as a research institute. Your father will live under nicer conditions, with other minds to talk to."

His eyes narrowed. "We'll let your family stay immortal, but you can't use your scientific abilities to undermine the Commonwealth. And you need to hand all of your serum research data over to us."

"What?" Jack managed. "But the serum-"

"Will be reproduced, and used as we deem fit," Nora interrupted. "We won. We defeated the Institute, and now we're in charge."

Jack stared at the two of them for a moment. The Cabots did not survive this long without knowing which way the wind was blowing, and he could see the writing on the wall.

"Very well," he said after a moment. "I pledge the Cabot family's full cooperation with the Commonwealth, provided you keep my father away from the rest of us."

"Agreed." Nora offered her hand, and Jack quickly shook it.

-f4r-

"Honey, we need to talk."

"About what, sweetie?"

"About the secret Listening Post we just found."

Nora froze.

"I'm sorry, Nora," Codsworth said, floating into the room and addressing them as casually as he normally did now. "Nick was rather insistent once the Listening Post was discovered. It appears your code name was in the database."

"Honey, how could you do something like this? A Chinese spy?" Nick seemed more incredulous than hurt, but there was some of the latter creeping in as well.

"What's done is done," she said. "Nothing excuses it, but it's not who I am anymore. China and America are both dead. The Sanctuary and the Commonwealth are the future."

"Indeed they are," Codsworth agreed.

"It's going to take some time for me to process this," Nick said.

"Take all the time you need. But remember that we've got work to do."

-f4r-

JOHN-CALEB BRADBERTON: "So, these Institute scientists…they are to be my companions?"

RUSSELL: Yes. Sorry, but we can't let you die. You have too much useful knowledge. But we understand why you're lonely and bored. So in addition to those scientists, we're also going to show you a movie once per day.

JOHN-CALEB BRADBERTON: "A movie?! It's been centuries…very well. I will cooperate. And I am greatly looking forward to the change in routine."

RUSSELL: We figured you would.

SIERRA PETROVITA: Hey! What about me?! I help you find this place too!

RUSSELL: You'll be keeping him company as well. Don't worry about that.

SIERRA: Hooray!

9 - Rebuilding the Commonwealth

"And that is why the Mayor is and always has been under the employ of the Republic and the Sanctuary as the former unit X7-62." Piper was confident. There was no need not to be.

The citizens of Diamond City stared in shock at the revelation.

"He's a synth?!" Not too long ago a mob would have been tempted to tear him apart for this, but things were different under the Republic, which Diamond City had begrudgingly agreed to be annexed to. Synths were everywhere, and all were open about their status. With a few exceptions like DiMA and Nick Valentine, none could be told apart from humans - but people were gradually accepting this rather than living in fear of the fact.

"Indeed he is," Piper replied. "And he's been doing everything he can to make Diamond City a better place."

"Folks, I only found out about this recently," the Mayor said in his most reassuring voice. "I've already agreed to step down. Just know that I did everything for the good of our people."

"The ghouls might disagree with that!"

"In three months time, a referendum will be held on Diamond City's non-human ban," Piper announced, quieting the crowd with shock once more. "You can decide for yourselves whether or not you want to let them in. In the meantime, we will continue restoring Goodneighbor to ensure it is up to the same standard as Diamond City."

"Who cares about a bunch of ghouls?" Someone shouted, to murmurs of agreement.

"The Republic does."

And that settled the argument.

-f4r-

AVERY: I can't believe it. You actually got rid of the Fog.

OLD LONGFELLOW: And agreed to let the Children of Atom seal themselves inside their little tomb.

NICK: It won't be a tomb. They've got crops and canned food. They'll be fine.

AVERY: Away from all of us. Finally, we can have peace.

OLD LONGFELLOW: Long live the Commonwealth. Never thought I'd say that, but you've earned the phrase.

NICK: Agreed. Long live the Commonwealth!

-f4r-

2 years later…

The Whitfields stared in shock at the outside of Vault 81.

"You've…you've rebuilt everything!" Mrs. Whitfield could not keep the awe out of her voice.

"We have!" Nora said cheerfully. "After the Commonwealth, we'll take care of the surrounding land. This is a great day for all the inhabitants of Earth."

"And Vault 81…?" Mr. Whitfield asked nervously.

"The door will be opened, but you and all other residents will be able to keep your current homes. You'll also be free to close the door in the event of war of natural disasters. I've already worked out an agreement with the Overseer."

"In that case…" Mr. Whitfield cleared his throat. "Can we go visit home again?"

"Of course!"

-f4r-

Sanctuary Hills was beautiful. Not just because of what its residents had rebuilt, but because of what it represented.

The tricolor of the Commonwealth - equal horizontal bands of gold, white, and green - flew proudly overhead, and all traces of allegiance to the former America were gone. The colors represented rebirth, and all fervently embraced that mission.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the Whitfields!" Mr. DiPietro greeted both of them warmly. "It's only been, what, two hundred years?"

"It's great to see you again!" Mr. Whitfield greeted him warmly. "Want to get a drink at Andrew's Bar?"

"Sounds like a plan to me!"

Epilogue: A Meeting of the Minds

8 years later…

The view from the Lucky 38 was spectacular.

Gabriela Lopez, Nora Miyamoto, and Mary Wu were about to argue a lot, but on that subject they were in unanimous agreement.

"Care for some joints?" Gabriela offered. Both accepted the proffered marijuana cigarettes and the three began staring at one another once the first hits had been exhaled. The stares were not the pleasant ones of cannabis-induced camaraderie, but instead spoke of grim determination.

"So, what comes next?" Mary Wu spoke first. "The Capitol Republic is ready and willing to discuss trade agreements."

"Same here," Gabriela replied casually, taking another hit off the joint as she did so. "We can agree on some major things - slavery is abolished across all the former America, and we have no problem giving ghouls and intelligent super mutants equal rights."

Her eyes narrowed. "But we're not doing democracy."

"Indeed we are not," Mr. House chimed in from behind his eternally smug computer monitor. "My autocracy has produced excellent results for all of the Empire of New Vegas. We have no need for your democracy. Perhaps it produces agreeable results for you, but it does not for us."

"Well, I guess we have a starting point and not much else," Nora replied, putting down the joint. "How about this: we agree to reduce trade barriers between the Empire of New Vegas, the Republic of the Commonwealth, and the Capitol Republic. We also agree to forever abolish slavery. Everything else - territory claims especially - we can work out later."

"Sounds good to me," Gabriela agreed.

"Not perfect, but we can make it work," Mary also agreed.

And so the New Vegas Treaty of 2299 was born, and with it the apocalypse began to come to an end.

"Began" being the key word. For war…war never changes.

3. Threadmarks: Thank You, Overseer
    SympathyForTheQuarians

Not biting yet, eh? How about a little something else then...

THANK YOU, OVERSEER: A FALLOUT STORY

A lore-filling look at how Vault 101 came to be, and what happened after the bombs fell.

Author's Note: Some dialogue is lifted verbatim from the in-game computer entry for Vault 81. This dialogue is marked with {these brackets}.

Working titles for this story were Vault 101: Behind The Scenes and We Live in the Vault. I like Option C the best but YMMV.

1 - 23 Oct 2077

The advertisements were wrong about the line.

When the bombs fell the most salient message communicated by Vault-Tec was proven correct. But on posters advertised near Vault 101 a calm, orderly crowd was depicted walking into the Vault. As if the order that had defined civilization would not instantly fall apart the moment the nukes started flying.

It did, obviously.

-v101-

Later, Mrs. Gomez found herself thinking about the soldiers the most. She understood the desperation of the people demanding to be let in, but she could not comprehend why the soldiers had been so loyal when the bombs had destroyed them as well. Why spend your last moments on Earth holding back a crowd? Why not join the crowd in trying to break into the Vault?

But they did not, and those on the Scenic Overlook were denied access. A handful were given just the right amount of radiation poisoning to turn into ghouls when Springvale was nuked, but most died of said poisoning (two or three making signs and futilely protesting outside the vault door before their ends).

What was done was done. The Vault was sealed, and its story began.

-v101-

Overseer Andersen -

{We'd like to thank you for accepting your new role as Overseer of Vault 101. This program, as you know, represents a critical research opportunity. The work we do together will lead to a better future for humanity- not only in these times of uncertainty, but far into the future, whatever it holds.}

Your experiment will involve the permanent closure of Vault 101. A story is to be provided to all residents that the world outside of Vault 101 is completely uninhabitable; false radio broadcasts have been recorded and provided for you to this effect. In the event that any person successfully escapes Vault 101, you are to provide doctored evidence that shows them immediately dying of radiation poisoning upon existing the Vault. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES are escapees or survivors to be admitted into Vault 101.

The only circumstance in which it will be acceptable to open Vault 101 is if the Breeding Protocol is activated by one of your successors. Vault-Tec estimates that it will take between 200-400 years for the population of the Vault to collapse due to inbreeding unless the Genetic Diversity Experiment is successful. You are to maintain scientific research on the Genetic Diversity Experiment for as long as Vault 101 continues to exist. Should it be unsuccessful, the Breeding Protocol will be activated, but this will not become an issue in your lifetime.

Thank you again for joining us along this exciting journey. We will be closely monitoring all of your results from Vault 100.

2 - The Isolation Experiment

"There's nothing left up there." Overseer Arthur Andersen made the pronouncement as solemnly as he could. "The Vaults are the only surviving trace of human civilization."

"How is that possible?" The woman the Overseer remembered as Mrs. Gomez spoke up. "There were others up there with us-"

"They died," the Overseer said firmly. "All that is left now are the Vaults. Our children will be born in the Vault, and they will die in the Vault."

"What!" Another person shouted. "How is that fair? We cannot go without ever seeing the sun again!"

"We have no choice," the Overseer replied. "Vault 101 is all that is left to us."

Some were skeptical, but the faked radio broadcasts - combined with the naturally authoritative reassurance of the Overseer - were able to successfully sell the lie. And thus the experiment began.

2 years later…

The human mind generally prefers an open space as a frame of reference. Even the extremely agoraphobic require a delineation between the outside and the inside. And so after two years in the permanent underground, psychological problems began to crop up.

-v101-

PSYCHOLOGIST: Tell me more about the dream.

MRS. GOMEZ: It's strange. I imagine myself outside, right before the bombs dropped, but there isn't anybody else outside with me. Then I look up, and the entire sky is the Vault ceiling. It's scary, and I think it's scary because the sky isn't there when I really want it to be.

PSYCHOLOGIST: Why do you think the Vault ceiling scared you so much?

MRS. GOMEZ: Because I wanted to see the sun. More than anything, I wanted to feel the sun on me. I…I still do. I really, really miss the sun.

-v101-

A MESSAGE FROM THE OVERSEER

I know many of you have expressed sadness at being unable to see sunshine again. I share your pain. But I must remind you: there is nothing left up there.

Please speak to any of the three Vault 101 psychologists if you need assistance with this trouble. I ask that you not let it interfere in your work duties.

Remember: your children will be born in the Vault, and they will die in the Vault.

- The Overseer

3 - The First Escape

8 years later…

Megaton was chaotic, vibrant and new.

Nora Gomez knew the broadcasts from the vault were a lie the moment that she stepped inside the crater. It was obvious people didn't have much, and the wall wasn't fully finished yet. But there was community, just as there was in Vault 101.

She could get used to this.

"Hey, Nora!"

She smiled as Felipe Vargas made his way over to the Crater Waterer and sat down next to her, ordering a beer as he did so. Rough as things were up here, having a bar really made things easier to deal with.

"So, how are you likin' the apocalypse so far?" He asked conversationally.

"It's not as bad as the Overseer said it would be, that's for sure!" They both laughed.

It was propaganda. It was propaganda. The revelation that the Overseer had deliberately lied to everyone about how survivable things were outside Vault 101 had shaken Nora to her core. Oh, to be sure, things weren't easy out here, and life in Vault 101 was the height of luxury by comparison. But the situation was definitely survivable, as Megaton had aptly demonstrated.

"You know, I should tell you somethin'." Felipe paused. "Remember how I said I was a custodian before the end of the world?"

"Yes?" She asked, curiosity piqued.

"Well, once I was at Vault-Tec headquarters, doin' a deep clean. And…well, I heard something through the vents. Two executives, I'm willing to bet. Talkin' about the Vaults as…experiments."

"…what kind of experiments?" She had lost all interest in her drink and was now staring at Felipe intently.

"Different ones for different Vaults. Apparently the whole point of the program was to have the Vaults be tests of human nature."

"Those bastards!" Anger flowed through her. "We're not fucking guinea pigs, we're human beings!"

She paused.

"Wait…that means that the whole point of my 'experiment' was to keep me down there forever."

"Why do you say that?" Felipe asked.

"Why do you think? I told you, they made false broadcasts that said everything up here was dead. In retrospect, obviously designed to scare us into staying down there."

"Damn. Well, I'm glad you made it out."

"Shows what Vault-Tec knows!"

Felipe laughed. "Damn right!"

Nora laughed along with him and did her best to forget about the seven year old daughter she had left behind in Vault 101.

After all, the child was safer there.

-v101-

"HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!"

"Why would Nora do this?!"

"I don't understand! She was so smart!"

The Overseer had had enough. "EVERYONE, QUIET!" It took a moment, but silence descended on the room. "Thank you."

"What happened today was a terrible tragedy. But it will not and cannot change the facts of our situation. And the facts of our situation dictate that Nora Gomez walked into certain death. It is now incumbent upon us to move on with out her here with us."

"That's my wife you're talking about!" Ricardo Gomez stood up, indignant at the dismissal of her fate.

"And if it were my wife, I would feel the same way!"

"You don't even have a fucking wife, Arthur. OR kids!"

Overseer Andersen's eyes narrowed dangerously. "Sit down, Mr. Gomez, now, before you do something you regret."

Ricardo Gomez glared death at the Overseer, but said nothing more and sat down.

4 - As Time Goes By

The Overseer's Office

22 September 2127

Death was a persistent foe towards the end. The Overseer needed to stay alive for at least another hour to dictate the future of the Vault, but the Reaper seemed to behave as an impatient secretary would have before the War.

"Alright…Natalia…do you understand?"

"I do," she replied.

"Good…now you need to know about…the true purpose of this Vault."

"True purpose?"

"The…terminal…read the message…"

-v101-

NORA GOMEZ: Megaton has really come a long way.

FELIPE VARGAS: You can say that again! Fifty years since the bombs fell and we've got a damn city! Makes me proud.

[pause.]

FELIPE VARGAS: So, do you regret leaving?

NORA GOMEZ: Hell no. Why would I?

FELIPE VARGAS: All the food, the comfort, the luxury…

NORA GOMEZ: Luxury is overrated. The wasteland is life.

-v101-

Natalia Wong did not want to be a lone dictator.

In the two weeks since the Overseer's death, funeral, and her succession, she had been pondering the contents of Vault-Tec's message to them. And one thing that was clear to her was that she would have preferred someone else to share this burden with. But as her father was fond of saying: life is about facts, not preferences. And so she found herself as the guide of a grandiose human experiment in ego by herself.

It would be a strange experience. But she would accept it and her role, for she would not have been selected by Overseer Andersen if she was not capable of doing so.

-v101-

Thank you all for your kind words at Overseer Andersen's funeral. Through the last fifty years he has guided us as we have built the model post-apocalyptic community, and his contributions to Vault 101 shall never be forgotten.

As your Overseer, I will do my best to live up to the great expectations placed on me by his legacy. Accordingly, we will continue the wise and prudent policy of isolation first implemented by him. Having seen both past records and current outside readings, I can confirm that the world outside Vault 101 will remain uninhabitable for at least another seven centuries, and likely longer.

Remember: We were born in the Vault, we live in the Vault, and we will die in the Vault.

-v101-

October 2177…

"And, so, one century ago today, the world outside of Vault 101 was destroyed."

The teacher looked closely at all of her students to make sure none were dozing off.

"Our wise Overseer, who has lead the Vault for the past half century, has affirmed to us all that nothing remains for us outside of this safe haven. Remember that all of you were born in the Vault, live in the Vault, and will die in the Vault."

-v101-

February 2183…

As we reflect on Overseer Wong's passing, let us remember to follow the ancient book of Genesis and "be fruitful and multiply." Procreation is a moral obligation in a Vault with as small a population as ours has. Even moreso since there is a strong likelihood we are the
    only surviving Vault in all the world. The Genetic Diversity Experiment remains the most important project for any Vault resident of scientific inclination…

…I am refusing all requests for the "Collaborative Leadership" proposal put forward by various Vault residents. Discipline is an important part of any society, and obeying the edicts of the Overseer is and always will be a guiding principle of this Vault. With that said, I share your concerns and will do anything I can to alleviate them within the framework of our governing model…

-v101-

A/N: Since some are probably curious: Natalie and Stephanie Wong aren't "related" in the traditional sense, but they are parallel universe counterparts for one another. Think the Lutece twins, but with more iterations.

5 - Megaton

December 2240…

ANNE PALMER: I'm still not quite sure how you managed to get the Overseer position.

OVERSEER JAMES HOLDEN: Chalk it up to a misinformed desire to persuade.

ANNE PALMER: Well, you're finally in a position to open the Vault. What are you going to do?

JAMES HOLDEN: Move slowly and carefully.

-v101-

"You want to go outside?" Maria Gomez was clearly horrified by the concept.

"Not permanently, or even more than a few times," Overseer Holden quickly clarified. "But we need to in order to sustain ourselves. The Genetic Diversity Experiment has not yielded fruitful results for us."

"What are you proposing?" Someone else asked.

"A small expeditionary team," the Overseer explained. "We will find out what, if anything, is outside."

"We'll need to prepare first, obviously," Anne Palmer interjected. "We need some idea of the sorts of radioactive mutations we'll encounter…"

-v101-

Looking back years later, Anne remembered the protesting skeletons the most. Seeing sunlight for the first time was shocking, of course, but it was expected. Something about the souls who had been denied entry to Vault 101 had a very real impact on her.

Not as real as the raider bullet that tore through her hand, however.

"We need to get to Megaton!" Officer Smith said after dispatching the last of the crazed killers.

-v101-

The city spoke of improvisation.

The Vault was cleanly structured, neatly built. Megaton was the product of annihilation, reborn as an ugly misshapen phoenix. And all the while watched over by that nerve-wracking sentinel, the undetonated nuclear bomb.

"I don't know how to feel about this…place." James Holden felt it the most diplomatic term.

"It's pretty different from the Vault," Officer Smith agreed.

"They seem like nice enough people, though," Anne Palmer said, raising her bandaged hand that the Megaton doctor had patched up for her. "Just folks trying to get by. But it does take some getting used to."

"How'd they end up using bottle caps for currency?" Overseer Holden wondered aloud.

"It makes sense," Anne replied. "They're made of aluminum, so they last a lot longer than the worthless pre-War money. And you can't make new ones, at least not easily."

The Overseer nodded, and the three of them went back to drinking in the newly-christened Moriarty's Saloon. Another novelty of the post-apocalypse: being served drinks by a 14 year old bar owner…

6 - Retreat and Isolation

2258…

ALPHONSE ALMODOVAR: The disappearance of the Overseer is clear evidence we should have never opened the Vault in 2241! Total isolation is the only solution.

VAULT CHORUS: The folly of Alphonse! O nuclear-drenched land, you are the way forward: we see the Rivet, the Megaton, the Museum. From the fires of death is born the life of atomic sunrise!

ALPHONSE ALMODOVAR: Keeping the Vault open is simply too dangerous. There is STILL a large population of raiders directly north of Vault 101's entrance! We must preserve our way of life, and the only way to do that is to re-embrace our original mantra: We Were Born In The Vault, We Live In The Vault, We Will Die In The Vault.

VAULT CHORUS: We will die in the Vault! Such is the fate dictated to us by the immovable might of genetics. Perhaps one generation, perhaps two: in the end all will die or become so bred through folly as to make no difference.

ALPHONSE ALMODOVAR: I firmly believe the inbreeding issue is solvable. The Genetic Diversity Experiment now has numerous samples from outside the Vault, and we can use these to truly tackle our inbreeding problem in earnest. But we have all the samples we need, and we certainly do not need to keep the Vault open a day longer!

VAULT CHORUS: The children! How must we lie? How must we explain if we do not lie? For to lie to one's children is common, but no less tragic for its ubiquity.

ALPHONSE ALMODOVAR: As far as the youngest generation is concerned, the Vault has always been closed. These expeditions never happened. It's what needs to be done to ensure the continued survival of our community.

[SO THE DECISION IS MADE.]

-v101-

ANNE PALMER: So you want me to lie for the rest of my life?

ALPHONSE ALMODOVAR THE OVERSEER: Yes, I do. And I don't want it, I'm ordering it as the Overseer.

ANNE: Alphonse, are you sure thing is the right thing to do?

OVERSEER: Yes. Positive. Now can you keep your mouth shut?

ANNE: Alphonse-

OVERSEER: Yes or no, Anne?

ANNE: ...yes.

OVERSEER: Good. See that you do.

7 - As Time Continues To Go By

2269…

"Why must you continue to lie to the children, Alphonse?" Beatrice was feeling melancholy.

"Why do you think, Ms. Armstrong?" And Alphonse was sick of this conversation. "We were born in the Vault-"

"But we didn't always live in the Vault!"

"WE DO NOW!"

"Why are you so certain that your way of thinking is correct?"

"That is not your concern. I am the Overseer, and you must do what I say!"

"Hmph. Inbreeding will be the death of us."

Before the Overseer could continue the argument in a more one-sided fashion, Beatrice stormed off to be alone in her brooding.

2273…

AMATA ALMODOVAR: Can I ask you something? It's about the Vault.

LONE WANDERER: Yeah, sure, Amata. What's up?

AMATA: Do you ever get the suspicion that the older adults are lying about it?

[pause.]

LW: I think I know what you mean.

AMATA: Remembered what you told me about your tenth birthday party? What Anne Palmer said?

LW: Yeah. "It seems like only yesterday that your daddy came."

AMATA: What did that MEAN?

LW: I've…always suspected. That maybe dad wasn't from here. But he shuts me down every time I bring it up and acts like I'm crazy.

AMATA: You're not crazy. Something's going on. But I guess it doesn't matter, since my dad will never open the door.

LW: Yeah. And there's nothing left out there anyways. Or if there is something, it was bad enough that my dad brought me here.

AMATA: We'll never know for sure.

LW: Nope.

-v101-

A/N: I find it weird that the Lone Wanderer NEVER suspected they weren't born in Vault 101 after Anne Palmer's remark, so I've rewritten things so that they do suspect but don't know for sure until James leaves.

Epilogue: We Die In The Vault

JAMES THE FATHER: Well, today is the day.

JONAS PALMER: I still think this is a terrible idea.

JAMES: Be that as it may, I cannot leave this undone.

JONAS PALMER: Well, good luck then, I suppose.

-v101-

LONE WANDERER: You see? The Enclave will kill you if you leave.

OVERSEER AMATA ALMODOVAR: My god…I had no idea it was so dangerous out there.

LONE WANDERER: Take it from me, you're safer inside the Vault. You'll need this, though.

AMATA: What is it?

LW: The Forced Evolutionary Virus, modified slightly. You can use this to prevent most genetic defects associated with inbreeding.

AMATA: Thank you so much.

[hug.]

-v101-

Amata was there when the Lone Wanderer closed the Vault door for what she knew would be the final time. It was strange, knowing she would be the last person to ever look at the entrance leading to the Scenic Overlook.

But she also knew this was for the best. The Enclave couldn't get to them if they kept the Vault door closed. The Vault was safety, peace. Her father had been right all along.

And so as she smiled sadly at her childhood friend while the Vault slid closed forever, she said the mantra aloud for all who had gathered to hear:

"We were born in the Vault, we live in the Vault, we die in the Vault."

-v101-

500 years later…

"…and, so, class, remember the example of the All-Seeing Almodovars. The Vault is all that is, all that was, and all that ever shall be. What lies beyond? It is not our place to say, nor are mortals to find out until they have Opened the Vault. But there's no need to rush that! We will all pass on eventually, and the 101 Precepts must be memorized before the break! Remember…"

"We're born in the Vault, we live in the Vault, we die in the Vault…" the class recited.

"And?"

"We must always thank the Overseer." The class finished.

"Good! Class dismissed. Thank you, Overseer!"

"Thank you, Overseer!" The children returned the farewell before running out of the classroom.

4. Threadmarks: 12 Protheans
    SympathyForTheQuarians

[On second thought, I think I'll just post some of my lesser-commented on works first.]

Javik is born centuries earlier, and is preserved on Ilos alongside the Prothean scientists. After perfecting time travel, they send him back in time to undo extinction - all while he is haunted by a recurring dream. Based on La Jetee and 12 Monkeys.

12 PROTHEANS: A 12 MONKEYS/MASS EFFECT STORY

Based upon the films La Jetee by Chris Marker and 12 Monkeys by Terry Gilliam

-12p-

1 - Awake to Emptiness

Author's Note:
    Section title is taken from The Years of Rice and Salt.

-12p-

The dream lasts perhaps a minute at the most.

The soldier is drowning, falling deeper into the bottomless abyss. Then all of a sudden he is in the desert, on his knees, as another Prothean prepares to execute him.

-12p-

Javik woke.

He was expecting an army to greet him. For the legions of his brethren who had been preserved to immediately brief him on preparing for the next Cycle.

Instead he looked up to see a cage had been built around his pod, one just large enough to allow him freedom of movement. He panicked, until he saw a dozen Protheans on a viewing screen.

That was a good sign.

Or so he thought!

-12p-

PROTHEAN SCIENTIST #1: Good. You're awake.

PROTHEAN SCIENTIST #9: We have much work to do, Javik.

JAVIK: What is happening? Where are the others?

PROTHEAN SCIENTIST #3: There are no others. We are all that is left.

[shock.]

[horror.]

JAVIK: How is this possible?! There are thousands of pods here!

PROTHEAN SCIENTIST #3: We were asleep for over 400 years. The VI deemed ourselves and you the only ones worthy of preservation.

[pause.]

Javik. I see. And why have you not initiated a sensory transfer with me? Why am I in this cage?

PROTHEAN SCIENTIST #12: We have an assignment for you, Javik. A dangerous one, not involving the Reapers but the Past itself.

Javik: Explain.

PROTHEAN SCIENTIST #5: Certainly.

2 - 20,000 P.E. Is The Past Too

The Prothean Empire at its height was an indescribable wonder.

Even Javik, despite his strong military discipline, found it hard not to be in awe of the Prothean Empire at the very apex of its power. The lesser races were servile, and the wealth of thousands of worlds flowed back to the golden jewel of all the Empire: the Prothean homeworld of Pahtariak.

It was so wonderful. Unfortunately, he had more important things to do than gawk at the accomplishments of his species.

-12p-

In the scientist-ran iteration he did the following:

JAVIK: You mean it's not 20,000 P.E.?

MILITARY ADVISOR: No, Javik. It is 15,042 P.E. 20,000 P.E. is the future.

JAVIK: No. 20,000 P.E. is the past, too.

MILITARY ADVISOR: Yes, the biological transfer indicated as such. So what is your purpose here, warrior from the future?

JAVIK: To warn of the Reapers.

MILITARY ADVISOR: The what?

JAVIK: This will take some time to explain. I recommend cancelling any obligations for the remainder of the day.

MILITARY ADVISOR: Very well.

-12p-

The scientist-ran iteration wasn't unsuccessful, per se. Indeed, it accomplished what it set out to: the Protheans began examining the Relays more closely, and learned that the Inusannon did not create them after all.

But as they had later learned via careful and exhaustive analysis, that iteration was a time loop that was always meant to happen: the causal equivalent of a self-fulfilling prophecy. For some reason Javik could simply not be more than vaguely instructive or he would have created a paradox.

So they kept that one, but decided to give Javik permission to attempt his own solutions.

It took him a few tries to get it right.

3 - Doing It Wrong

45,000 P.E. (Two centuries before Reaper arrival)

In the first iteration he did the following:

JAVIK: We must prepare! The Reapers are coming, and they will destroy us all!

MILITARY ADVISOR: The evidence you have presented is irrefutable. The Empire will begin work immediately on new ships while maintaining strict secrecy on the true reason we are doing so.

Result:

The Reapers were defeated, but at the cost of 98% of all living Protheans and over 99% of the subject species. Society degraded into a primitive, pre-spaceflight form. When First Contact was made with the next Cycle of aliens, the latter subjugated the Protheans as slaves.

Eventually, the Protheans broke the chains, but by then they were too culturally conditioned to servitude to ever build an empire. They become equals in a classless society that emphasized planet-based localism.

This was unacceptable, so the timeline was closed off and the process restarted.

4 - Warning Everyone

In the second iteration he did the following:

He put himself back in hibernation at a different location for the following Cycle, and left himself for the primitives of the Cycle.

Result:

An abomination known as "Synthesis". On much Javik and the scientists argued, but they were in unanimous agreement that they would, under no circumstances, allow the Protheans to become half machine. Such a thing could NEVER be permitted.

So the timeline was closed off and the process restarted.

Meanwhile…

HARBINGER: Nazara.

NAZARA: Harbinger.

HARBINGER: Travel feels unusual.

NAZARA: I sense it as well, first one. It is as if…as if time is hurt. I do not know why that sentence occurred to me, that seems the most appropriate way to acknowledge it in my mind.

HARBINGER: I agree.

NAZARA: You do?

HARBINGER: This…time anomaly…it appears to be a rift in the fabric of space and time itself. It could undo the Cycles before they ever began.

[horror.]

NAZARA: We must fix it at once!

HARBINGER: We do not know how to track what caused it, and we never will.

NAZARA: …oh.

HARBINGER: Indeed.

5 - The Reapers Arrive

In the third iteration he did the following:

Succeeded for the quarians, but not for the Protheans.

A glitch had occurred in the time travel mechanism and he had been transported to a reality where the quarians had conquered the entire galaxy with the aid of some sort of supernatural book that allowed them to kill anyone they wished. His stasis pod (he found himself awakening in a bunker on what the new inhabitants called Eden Prime, for a reason he could not explain) was activated long after the Quarian Era had begun.

Result:

Quarian eternity. Not a Prothean eternity, and therefore unacceptable.

6 - The Reapers Arrive Again

In the fourth iteration he did the following:

Succeeded for the Salarians, but not for the Protheans.

Again that infernal "Death Note" (as he now knew it was called) had been used to conquer the galaxy in the name of the Salarian Empire. The Reapers had been defeated startlingly quickly, to the point of making him feel slightly insecure. The Salarians respected him, but clearly thought of themselves as being above Protheans. And truthfully that arrogance was likely warranted…

Result:

Salarian eternity. More productive than a quarian eternity, as the vision of the Empire was based on science rather than Vengeance. But as with the previous loop, Salarian dominance was not what the scientists were looking for.

7 - The Reapers…You Get The Idea

In the fifth iteration he did the following:

SCREAMED IN FRUSTRATION!

Another timeline had appeared, one where slavers had conquered the galaxy and defeated the Reapers by writing their names down! How did Reapers even have names?!

Javik was not a sensitive person, but the Eternal Batarian Empire unnerved him still. Slavery perpetuated not for might or conquest, but purely for hedonism. It was more disgusting than horrifying, if he was being honest.

Result:

Obviously undesirable, even with Empire defeat. So the timeline was closed off and the process restarted for what would turn out to be the last time.

8 - The Correct Loop

In the final iteration he did the following:

Found himself drowning in an ocean. The dream fulfilled itself in what turned out to be the waters of Kahje - he recognized hanar surrounding him and rescuing him from drowning.

For days he basked in the adulation of the hanar, relishing the ridiculous worship of his people that they practiced. On the end of the fifth night, he was taken to his final destination.

In his last moments, he selfishly reflected that he would have been happier living out his days in Kahje.

Epilogue: The Dying Dream

[SCENE: Desert.]

PROTHEAN RESEARCHER #6: Do you know where you are?

JAVIK: The desert where I must die to fulfill the causal loop, and ensure our peoples' victory over the Reapers.

[pause.]

JAVIK: It still does not make sense to me.

PROTHEAN RESEARCHER #7 [loads gun]: It is time travel, it does not have to make sense to be true. I am glad you are accepting of your fate. Know that the name Javik will be remembered for all eternity.

[execution.]

[salvation.]

-12p-

And so Javik died a hero to his people. And when he arrived in the Multiuniversal Afterlife shortly thereafter, he was immediately acclaimed as one of the greatest Protheans to have ever existed across all the multiverse, including those who had built the Empire. For he had defeated the Reapers by manipulating time itself, and given the Protheans of his reality an eternity to rule.

All in all, he could've done worse.

5. Threadmarks: A Big Empty World
    SympathyForTheQuarians

A BIG EMPTY WORLD: A FALLOUT STORY

An adaptation of the cut ending for Old World Blues.

1 - Joining The Club

COURIER: I want to join the Think Tank.

KLEIN: JOIN us?! Become one of these LOVELY brains?! Why that's…that's a good idea. Yes, it would be quite interesting.

DALA: It would be marvelous to have another to speak to after all this time. One not felled by Mentats addiction!

8: [I am NOT addicted! I can quit anytime I want to!]

BOROUS: SUUUUUUUURE you can! And I'm the King of England!

KLEIN: YOU ARE?! Why haven't you gotten us more funding? More personnel, make some noise in the British…what were we talking about?

COURIER: Me joining the Think Tank. And it sounds like you need me.

0: Ooooooh, look at this skinsuit, thinking he is the most important thing since nuclear fission.

COURIER: Look, you've all been cooking in that brain juice for two centuries. Don't you think you could use a new perspective?

[pause.]

[agreement.]

-abef-

COURIER'S BRAIN: Rest in pieces, skinsuit!

0: Indeed! I can hardly shed a single tear.

KLEIN: And now that that annoying interloper has been FRIED TO A FUCKING CRISP, let us begin the EXPERIMENTS!

BOROUS: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! That is the explosion of SCIENCE!

COURIER'S BRAIN: Will you silly fools calm down for just one moment? We must begin our research.

KLEIN: Yes, that sounds good. Research. Research of the Mojave!

2 - Experimental Research

Cass was a singing, dismembered head.

It was pointless to pretend this was impossible, since it was literally happening. But it was still fucking annoying.

It had all started two days ago, when something strange began happening at Mojave Outpost. Two of the NCR soldiers stationed there had found their heads cleanly severed from their bodies, with not so much as a single drop of blood to be found on the dirt. And more bizarrely, they were still alive, and singing a pre-War song called Papa Loves Mambo.

Then the force field had appeared.

Nobody could escape. The heads never stopped singing, and a few people had killed themselves to be free of the infernal racket. But by the end of the week, those that hadn't had joined the singing chorus.

That had been a month ago. Now Cass was singing Big Iron with the other heads, wishing desperately that someone could find a way through the force field and shoot all of them. Their bodies were decomposing, but they needed no food or water. They just sang.

And sang, and sang, and sang, and sang…

-abef-

KLEIN: RESEARCH REPORT!

0: The heads sustained themselves for six months before expiring. In that time, they sang through nearly all of popular recorded music going back to the 19th century.

COURIER'S BRAIN: Splendid! And the inhabitants of the Wasteland?

DALA: That is not a concern. The force field has been expanded, and nobody may exit or leave. We can continue our experiments.

COURIER'S BRAIN: Then let us turn to Mr. House!

-abef-

HOUSE: There are not words available in English to describe by hatred for the six of you.

DALA: Come now, Robert, don't be so glum! You're one of us now!

HOUSE: Only after you forcibly removed me from my life support chamber, brought me here, and put my brain in one of these accursed jars! Now I am stuck with all of you for eternity!

KLEIN: STUCK?! WE CAN'T GET STUCK! We have WORK TO DO!

BOROUS: All work and no play makes…how does it go again?

COURIER'S BRAIN: Imbeciles.

HOUSE: If there is a god, I pray that he will kill me now.

3 - Run Goodsprings Run

"What in the heck is that up in the sky?" Doc Mitchell asked.

"Beats me," Sunny Smiles replied. "Seems like-"

She said nothing else before a hexcrete block that had fallen out of the sky crushed her, killing her instantly.

"HOLY SHIT!" Mitchell exclaimed! "EVERYONE, RUN!"

The townsfolk who had been gathered around to witness the strange aerial phenomena immediately scattered at Mitchell's directive. Alas, it was not enough to save them, for the Goodsprings Force Field had already been activated.

Mitchell lasted the longest. The very last hexcrete block lingered over his form for a moment as he said the Lord's Prayer, and then he was no more.

-abew-

BOXCARS: This doesn't feel right.

JOE COBB: Don't tell me you actually feel sorry for these assholes? If you do, I might have to break your legs again.

BOXCARS: No, boss, nothin' like that. Goodsprings got what was comin' to 'em. It's just…

[pause.]

JOE COBB: Spit it out!

BOXCARS: The way it happened feels…off to me. Kinda ominous, you know?

JOE COBB: Actually, yeah, I get that. They all just got crushed by shit fallin' out of the sky. It's weird.

BOXCARS: We should probably keep our eyes-

[force field.]

[hexcrete.]

[death to the Powder Gangers.]

-abew-

KLEIN: RESEARCH REPORT!

COURIER BRAIN: We have received some fascinating insights into the human body's ability to tolerate crushing.

HOUSE: You are sadistic barbarians.

BOROUS: Barbarians! They go RAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR.

DALA: Come now, House. Surely you can see the scientific value of our work?

HOUSE: No, truthfully, I do not. There is no scientific value in torturing people for your amusement.

COURIER: You will come around in time, Robert.

HOUSE: Curse all of you.

0: Curse us all you want, but you're kind of stuck here, so you better get used to us!

4 - Primm And Proper

BEAGLE: What do you think all of this crazy nonsense is about anyhow?

WASTELANDER: Beats me.

BEAGLE: I'm nervous. We can't leave the Mojave, and now I have to-

[X-RAY ZAP]

-abew-

COURIER BRAIN: Fascinating. We have perfectly replicated the results of a nuclear strike without any of the components required for one.

8: [WHEN WILL WE DO MORE SONIC EXPERIMENTS?]

HOUSE: May I make a suggestion?

[pause.]

DALA: Of course you may, Robert. I am pleased to see you participate.

HOUSE: Perhaps we could consider terraforming the wasteland.

KLEIN: TERRAFORMING?! Do you have ANY IDEA how much time and resources that would take for a single experiment? And what would be the purpose? We already KNOW humans can live in nuclear-free environments!

DALA: I agree. It is not a fruitful use of our resources.

HOUSE: Typical dross nonsense. If I may ask, what is the purpose of ANY of your experiments?

0: To obtain data, obviously.

HOUSE: Data for what? What are you going to accomplish with all of this?

DALA: Personally, I am of the opinion that science is its own reward.

HOUSE: You cannot be serious.

0: Come now, quit being confrontational! One day our experiments will yield results that are beneficial to all of humanity.

HOUSE: Such as?

KLEIN: THE GLORIOUS LIMITS OF HUMAN ENDURANCE!

BOROUS: Indeed! It is so fascinating to see how many ways humans can die, and how far they can be pushed!

COURIER BRAIN: Robert, you must accept the state of things. You are not in control of our direction.

HOUSE: Yes, I am PAINFULLY aware of that.

5 - The End of Jacobstown

It was the end.

Marcus knew that Jacobstown was doomed the moment the accursed satellite began looming above them. The twisted, sadistic science experiments that had laid waste to the Mojave were now coming for them. He hoped it would simply kill them all instantly, as it had the unfortunate souls of Primm. But what had happened instead was far worse: it drove the Nightkin insane.

"GIVE ME STEALTH BOY NOW!"

He sighed as he bashed the brains of yet another deranged Nightkin in. They were tearing Jacobstown apart, and he had already given the order to abandon it.

The Mojave was dead, and science had killed it.

-abef-

0: Fascinating creatures, the nightkins! Like super mutants, but less stable, dependent on brain-altering Stealth Boy technology.

BOROUS: They are BIG! And PURPLE! Just like my MOTHER-IN-LAW!

DALA: One wonders how the Master managed to keep control of such an…unstable group of individuals.

HOUSE: If you six are any indication, instability is no impediment to action.

DALA: Must you continue insulting us for all eternity? It grows tiresome, dear Robert.

HOUSE: If you don't like it, you could always just kill me.

KLEIN: AND WASTE THAT BRAINPOWER?! NEVER!

8: [SONIC EXPERIMENT]

COURIER BRAIN: Not to fret, 8. Our next experiment will involve the Black Mountain Radio signal. And it should be a fruitful one indeed!

6 - Black Mountain Madness

Raul Tejada was not having a good week. He thought escaping from Tabitha's custody would be the start of something new, but so far it had been nothing but nonstop horror. He cursed whatever horrible being was conducting all of these deadly experiments.

First, he had to escape Black Mountain. That was difficult enough already with super mutants, but these damn experimenters had also unleashed carnivorous brahmin on the Mojave. Brahmin that were large enough and strong enough to give DEATHCLAWS a run for their money! Somehow he had managed to evade them, but he had nearly lost his arm.

But that wasn't enough. Oh, no. He made his way to Camp Searchlight, hoping the radiation would encourage people to leave him alone. But people weren't the problem. The problem were yet MORE carnivorous creatures, this time plants. He had barely escaped with his life, again, only to be washed away by a sudden and massive shift of the Colorado River.

Now he was on Scavenger Platform, surrounded by angry lakelurks who were circling said Platform and waiting for the opportunity to eat him.

Who in heaven did I piss off enough to deserve this?

-
    abew-

HOUSE: Please don't. You don't understand what Vegas represents-

KLEIN: PORN AND GAMBLING! We have a more noble purpose.

HOUSE: …excuse me?

COURIER BRAIN: Come now, House. Surely you can admit your own feelings towards Vegas are colored by your experiences as a capitalist.

HOUSE: Perhaps, but it is still a Jewel worth preserving!

0: A compromise? Perhaps we can keep the Tops as an experimental subject residential dwelling.

[sigh.]

HOUSE: I suppose that's the best I'm going to get. Very well.

7 - Stripped Bare

Yahweh would have approved of Gomorrah's experimental "punishment".

Notorious as the most sleazy and disease-prone of the three casinos, it had been chosen by the Think Tank to be the target of a prototype STD. Said prototype STD was a fungus that grew within genitalia and eventually caused death via violent rupture.

It had taken less than a week for every prostitute in Gomorrah to get infected, and the former strip club now looked like something out of a horror show.

Not that the White Glove Society was spared. Oh, no. The Think Tank had correctly deduced that the casino practiced cannibalism, and so they were fed the remains of experimental subjects. This was not the most healthy human meat, and before long members of the White Glove Society were sick with a wide variety of aliments. The research data was truly fascinating.

On the other hand, the Tops was doing fantastic.

-abew-

SWANK: Doesn't really feel like it's happening does it? I've been pinching myself a lot lately, but I guess this ain't a dream after all. Ring-a-ding.

CUSTOMER: I'm just glad I got here when I did.

SWANK: Don't forget that you only get to stay here if you spend. We're being generous, but you're due to gamble or buy a drink today.

CUSTOMER: Oh, fine! Give me a shot of the house rum.

SWANK: Will do!

-abew-

COURIER BRAIN: We must expand the scope of our experiments beyond the Mojave. Starting with those uncivilized ruffians calling themselves Caesar's Legion!

BOROUS: YES! DEATH TO THE NEW ROMAN EMPRIE! The old one was bad enough!

DALA: Perhaps Rome does not have to die. Perhaps it can be…reformed.

0: Intriguing. Please, do go on.

8 - Goodbye Legion

Caesar was proud of the Lunar Roman Empire.

He still wasn't quite sure how he (and his entire Legion) time-traveled to Ancient Rome. He was still surprised to learn that there was an Ancient Rome on the moon. But he had taken advantage of the opportunity, and soon all of the Earth's satellite would be his!

GLORY TO CAESAR!

-abew-

COURIER BRAIN: Well, we seemed to have pleased the New California Republic with the Legion brain-scrubbing.

HOUSE: I must admit, this is the first thing you've done that I wholeheartedly approve of. Caesar's Legion was an abomination, and brainwashing them all into believing they are part of a lunar-based ancient Roman Empire does seem fitting.

KLEIN: WE'RE NOT DONE YET! Those damn self-righteous Californian skinsuits are JUST as ripe for experimentation.

0: What exactly did you have in mind?

KLEIN: They love the pre-war world so much? How about we GIVE them the pre-war world, forever and ever! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

-abew-

Dr. Stainislaus Braun was very intrigued.

"So," the little girl said to the projection of the Courier's Brain, "you want to expand Tranquility Lane?"

"In a manner of speaking," the Brain replied. "We wish to…attempt a real-world experiment involving it."

Her expression brightened. "That sounds like fun! Who are you going to try it on?"

Upon being sent the files on the New California Republic, he/she laughed out loud. "That sounds wonderful! I'll send you a copy of my code! I can't wait to see President Kimball get brainwashed!"

9 - Goodbye NCR

Mayor Aaron Kimball knew something was wrong.

He really had to think to figure it out. But once he did, the doubts crystallized in his head:

* Where did Tranquility Lane come from? It was all any of them had ever known, and all their history books mentioned. But…didn't someone have to create it at some point?

* How could millions of them fit into one street?

* Furthermore, how did that street go on endlessly?

There was only one other person who shared his suspicion: a homeless man whom he sometimes saw as he walked out of his house early in the morning.

"We're not supposed to be here!" He would say. "None of this is real!"

But how could it not be real? He had been Mayor of Tranquility Lane for seventeen years, like First Mayor Tandi before him. All of the history books confirmed that. Everyone he knew confirmed that.

So why did he find himself thinking about the homeless man so much?

He doubted he would ever have a satisfactory answer.

-abew-

KLEIN: What comes next, fellow researchers? THE WORLD IS OUR OYSTER! Our OYSTER, I say!

0: Well, there's your answer! We can experiment on anyone we want! Maybe we could all each do a different part of the country!

DALA: A splendid idea! The more places we have to experiment on, the more valuable our data!

HOUSE: I will experiment on space travel.

BOROUS: SPACE! THE FINAL FRONTIER!

0: Where'd you get THAT line?

BOROUS: You know, I…don't know. It just sort of came to me. Does anyone know what a "Star Trek" is?

ALL: No.

Epilogue: War Of The Sciences

17 years later…

Amata Almodovar opened the door to Vault 101, the blank expression on her face reflecting her current mind-wiped status.

"Greetings, Think Tank," she said robotically. "We welcome you to our home, and will now evacuate to make room for you."

She and the other residents of Vault 101 marched single-file outside the Vault and to their likely deaths while the Think Tank set up its eastern base of operations.

And so the experiments continued. When the Capital Wasteland was exhausted, the Commonwealth was next.

And it was there that they met the Institute.

-abew-

SHAUN: Well, it looks like we're at war.

MADISON LI: Indeed. Can we defeat them, though?

SHAUN: Perhaps. Perhaps not. We would not have had any chance at all if my mother had not sided with us and eradicated the other factions. Now, however? It does appear that we have a chance.

MADISON LI: A chance isn't a guarantee.

SHAUN: What in life is?

-abew-

And so the battle for the future of humanity and science began.

6. Threadmarks: May She Guide You
    SympathyForTheQuarians

MAY SHE GUIDE YOU: A DEATH NOTE/LAST OF US STORY

On an ordinary day in Haven in 2037, Yara picks up the Death Note. She quickly gives it to her mother, and the world is remade in Her image. AU - darker than DOTW.

1 - A Black Book in Haven

Yara did not know what to make of the strange black tome.

It seemed an Old World book, so her initial instinct was to throw it in the nearby fire. But something about it compelled her to pick it up.

"So one of your freaks got it! Ain't that fun!"

Yara turned around, and immediately screamed the loudest scream of her life.

Her mother quickly came to her side.

"Yara, what's wrong?"

"D-D-E-M-M-O-N!"

The demon…sighed? "Always with you humans…"

"Yara, please, calm down. Use Her strength to calm you."

Yara took a deep breath, and did her best to calm her nerves. "When I p-p-p-i-cked up this black book, that DEMON shows up!"

She pointed at thin air, so her mother retrieved the book from her hand.

Once she did so, she shouted "DEMON!" and immediately made for the Council of Elders.

Leaving Yara alone with the demon.

"Well, that was kinda awkward, huh?" The demon laughed.

Yara was speechless, clearly petrified with fear.

The demon sighed, again. "Oh, for fuck's sake. Here, let me explain. That book is called a Death Note. You can kill anyone with it as long as you have their face and their name."

Yara was not the most devout believer. She was skeptical of the fervent devotion many of her fellow Seraphites embraced.

Was.

In that moment, she knew she had been wrong, and immediately stood up and bowed.

"Demon, thank you for giving us this blessing. We will use it to create a new world."

She rushed off to join her mother, leaving Deridovely extremely confused.

"Well, I guess this will keep me from getting bored…"

-msgu-

ELDER #1: It is a blessing from Her.

[agreement.]

ELDER #2: We must use it to cleanse the Wolves.

[agreement.]

ELDER #3: Now begins the scouting mission.

[agreement.]

-msgu-

2 - Wolves Don't Look Up

Lev ran.

His sister and mother had betrayed him. Called him by the accursed deadname. So now he ran.

Where to, he did not know. But he would not live under the eternal rule of the Scars.

Scars. Not Seraphites.

-msgu-

3 months later…

Spying was laughably easy.

Maria the Seraphite had always taken her training seriously. And combat was indeed terrifying. But spying? The Wolves were so bumbling and inept at navigating the Old World ruins that her activities hardly warranted the term.

They left their soldier manifests at abandoned gates. They wrote their full names down in letters to friends and family members - not often, but enough for her to learn. From the skies above the cities - unstable, but navigable - she could see and hear all. She disliked using Old World audio devices, but the exceptions for soldiers and scouts were clear. Another two weeks and she would have every-

"Whatcha doin'?"

"GAH!"

She screamed at the unexpected voice, which had sneaked up on her without so much as a footstep. Now how would-

Oh.

Ugh.

"What do you want, demon?" She make no attempt to hide the contempt her tone was laced with.

The demon, called Derisively, laughed. "What do you think? I gave you freaks the Death Note cuz I was bored. So I'm following you around." It paused. "Still can't believe you think it was some divine blessing."

Maria took a deep breath. "Prophet, give me strength to bear this demon."

The demon laughed again. "Oh man, you people are priceless! Here, I'll try somethin' else. What are you going to do after the Wolves die?"

"What do you think?" Maria asked sharply. "Rebuild the world in Her image."

"You're gonna have to kill a LOT of people to do that."

Maria paused. "Explain."

"You think the WLF are the only ones rebuilding - or at least surviving? I'm a shinigami, Maria. I know about the world."

"Then who else is there?"

For the third time, that accursed, enraging laugh found her ears. She was losing her patience. "Who else isn't there? There's the slavers down in Santa Barbara, the guys in Jackson a little ways down south, the Albuquerque QZ is independent of FEDRA and still running…I could go on!"

Maria paused, thinking about her answer. At length it came to her.

"All will fall before Her might. Technology will die before the purification that is necessary to redeem us."

Deridovely didn't laugh. Instead, he was silent for a moment.

"Didn't think you guys had it in ya," he finally said. "Fair enough. Good luck with the killing."

Then the demon left.

-msgu-

MOTHER: Are you troubled, child?

YARA: Aren't you, mother? Lev-

[rage.]

MOTHER: DO NOT SPEAK THE NAME OF THAT ACCURSED HERETIC!

[fear.]

YARA: Sorry. No, mom, I'm fine.

MOTHER: I know you miss the heretic. But remember, we must stay true to Her path. All that cannot are dead to us.

[silence.]

[acceptance.]

-msgu-

Maria the Seraphite is an OC. I felt the need to create one since the mom doesn't strike me as a soldier.

-msgu-

3 - Death To The Wolves!

On the appointed day, the Wolves died.

-msgu-

The problem of the corpses had been anticipated, but it was somewhat mitigated by the presence of infected in nearby buildings. The Wolves were fed to them in short order, stealth keeping the Prophet's soldiers hidden from them.

Once the Seraphites moved into the Stadium, the first of what would be called Destructions began.

The televisions and movies were set aflame in glorious bonfires. The books were kept, but access to the Library was restricted to the Elders and those that they approved of. All traces of WLF insignia were erased.

One week later, the Seraphites were ready to begin the Purification.

But first…

-msgu-

"STOP - IDENTIFY YOURSELF BEFORE APPROACHING"

The sign sent fear through Lev's entire being. Still, he did his best to remain composed as he held his hands up and approached the wall.

"Stop right there! That's close enough. We'll me you outside."

-msgu-

TOMMY: So, you used to be one of them Seraphates?

LEV: Seraphites.

TOMMY: Right, sorry.

LEV: Yes, I was. They are becoming more powerful, and I escaped before they implemented their plan.

TOMMY: Plan?

LEV: The Washington Liberation Front. They're dead by now.

[surprise.]

TOMMY: What do you mean?

LEV: You'd think I was crazy if I told you, and it's not important. What's important is that I can help you! I have skills! I can-

TOMMY: Woah, woah, kid, calm down. We'll let you stay, no need to worry. We don't turn kids away and you look like you can handle yourself - you remind me of Ellie, actually. In fact, why don't you go introduce yourself? We can talk tomorrow.

-msgu-

ELLIE: So you left because you're trans?

LEV: Yeah. I…didn't know what the word was.

ELLIE: Neither did I at first. The whole "LGBTQ" thing was a mind-blower when I found that old gay rights history book.

[pause.]

[crying.]

[hug.]

ELLIE: Woah, hey, hey, hey. I'm here for you.

LEV: I…everything was a lie. I don't know what to believe. I don't know what to think.

[pause.]

ELLIE: …I can relate.

LEV: What do you mean?

ELLIE: Promise you won't tell?

LEV: Promise.

-msgu-

4 - Purification and Isolation

Maria laughed as the Old World building came down.

It was full of infected, unstable and clearly on the verge of collapse. So they had used Old World explosives gathered from the WLF base to demolish it after retreating to a safe distance.

They could hear the screams of some the infected as they were burned alive or fell out the crumbling building to their deaths. It was quite wonderful.

And soon, the rest of the Purification would begin.

-msgu-

RESIDENT: This is bullshit!

MARIA THE LEADER: No, it isn't. Our scouts have confirmed what the ex-Seraphite is saying. The whole WLF just died one day, with zero warning.

[pause.]

RESIDENT: Ok, fair enough. But that still doesn't explain this emergency town meeting you suddenly called! Some of us have jobs to do.

[sigh.]

MARIA THE LEADER: Do I need to spell this out to you? ALL THEY NEED ARE FACES AND NAMES!

[pause.]

MARIA THE LEADER: We're isolating. Effective immediately, nobody is allowed outside or in as soon as the patrols return. We'll move away infected corpses and burn them.

[horror]

RESIDENT #2: That's a death sentence!

MARIA THE LEADER: Then I'll do it myself! We can't risk anyone being captured! NOBODY LEAVES JACKSON!

[silence.]

[acceptance.]

-msgu-

"Parent issues suck, don't they?" Ellie asked conversationally as they smoked the joint.

"They do," Lev agreed, taking a puff on his own.

Eugene had died of a heart attack not too long ago - supposedly the stress had gotten to him. And while exploring an abandoned library, Ellie and her new friend Lev had found weed!

GLORIOUS WEED!

It was now their secret hangout, and their favorite place on Earth.

"So…" Lev seemed uncertain. "Have you…"

"No." Ellie was firm.

"You're sure?"

"Of course!" Ellie got annoyed, but not at Lev. "I can't ever forgive him for that. It wasn't his choice to make!"

"…sometimes parents make bad decisions," Lev said after a minute.

Ellie laughed. "Yeah, that's true. He's not my dad anymore, though. Not after that."

Lev was silent, as he agreed with the sentiment.

-msgu-

5 - The Old World

WARNING: Deadnaming.

"They're here."

-msgu-

Maria the Seraphite could not contain her glee!

JACKSON! The center of heresy itself, now to be put to the torch!

"May She Guide Us." The prayer was automatic, but she meant it.

-msgu-

MARIA THE SERAPHITE: "PEOPLE OF JACKSON! YOUR TIME HAS COME! SURRENDER SO WE MAY LIBERATE YOU FROM THE OLD WORLD!"

MARIA THE LEADER: "GO FUCK YOURSELF!"

And so it began.

-msgu-

About two hours in, Ellie realized which way it was going to go.

"LEV!"

Finally she had found her friend, and was terrified to see him being confronted by a huge Seraphite.

"You cannot escape from us, Lily. You are a woman of the Prophet, and will always be a w-"

The Seraphite said nothing more as Ellie quickly put a bullet through the back of his skull.

"LEV! WE NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE!"

Lev was in shock, clearly in terror of his past coming back for him. Without saying another word, Ellie grabbed him and ran to the nearest breached wall.

"IT'S LILY!"

"KILL HER!"

They tried, but Ellie's survival skills were nothing to scoff at. Amid the chaos of the Fall of Jackson, they (barely) managed to escape.

Few others did.

-msgu-

MARIA THE SERAPHITE: And so we execute this heretic, knowing that her body will fertilize the Earth, as the Prophet intended. Have you any final words, heretic?

MARIA THE LEADER: Not quite.

[spits in face.]

[shoots.]

[end of Jackson.]

-msgu-

"WHERE IS THE DEATH NOTE?!?!"

"I do not-"

"HOW COULD WE HAVE LOST IT?! FIND IT NOW!"

-msgu-

"Man, that was hilarious!" Deridovely couldn't stop laughing.

"Sounds like it!" Ryuk agreed. "Those idiots actually lost their Death Note in the Jackson assault! A beautiful irony."

"Agreed. Deal me in."

-msgu-

Without the power of the supernatural, the expansion stopped.

But its bloody legacy would never be forgotten. And a beacon of technological hope in the post-apocalyptic world was wiped out forever.

She was pleased.

-msgu-

Surprise!

My stories were getting too formulaic. Needed a twist in this one.

-msgu-

6 - Nomads

2 months later…

"I don't understand this book at all."

"Which one?"

They were in a tiny hamlet called Youngsville, north of Albuquerque. It appeared it had not been struck by the outbreak, and had only been abandoned when supplies ran out.

Books had been left behind, however, and it was one called Ready Player One that was giving him so much confusion.

"Here, let me try reading it. I'll see if I can explain."

-msgu-

Six hours later, Ellie was visibly struggling too.

"Ok, so electronics could create imaginary worlds…"

"Like dreams?"

"Like dreams," Ellie agreed. "And I think this story is about…people creating an imaginary world to escape from the one they were living in."

Lev's confusion visibly grew.

"People wanted to escape from the Old World? Why? They had everything they needed!"

"They thought they did," Ellie countered. "But it looks like all of this fancy technology…kind of made them miserable."

At that, Lev stared at the book for a moment, then abruptly burst out laughing.

"What's so funny?"

"I'm sorry! It's just…" He took a moment to compose himself.

"I guess the Prophet wasn't really wrong after all!"

Ellie stared, then laughed as well. "Guess not!"

-msgu-

One month later…

"That's close enough! Stay where you are. We'll have a guard come meet you."

Ellie and Lev stopped, doing as they were told.

-msgu-

7 - Albuquerque

"This place is weird."

"You can say that again."

They were being held in the processing area for the Albuquerque Quarantine Zone. But things were a bit…off.

The "FEDRA" insignia had been replaced with new signs stating "Albuquerque Independent Quarantine Zone". But curiously, the American flag still flew, and the soldiers still wore FEDRA black and blue. From what she had seen, however, they were much nicer than their Boston counterparts. They were friendly, didn't abuse their authority, and had been very nice to both of them.

It was weird.

Finally someone came into the small room they were in.

"Sorry I took so long!" The man cheerfully greeted them. "Busy day in the QZ. We've had to plant some more crops to make up for the population boom!"

Lev and Ellie stared. The man laughed.

"Oh, let me guess. One or both of you is from one of those ghastly FEDRA zones, maybe back out east. We don't do things like that here. Let me explain."

"About six years after the outbreak, things started falling apart. FEDRA made demands of us that would have led to starvations or expulsions. So I made a decision."

He grinned widely, and leaned in as if to tell them a secret.

"I, Colonel Martin Wong, declared the Albuquerque Independent Quarantine Zone and told FEDRA to fuck off! Now I'm the Head Administrator."

"Woah!" Ellie laughed, thrilled by the revelation. "That's so awesome! Good to see not all of you military types are evil."

The Head Administrator's expression became clouded - perhaps with regret, perhaps with contempt. It was hard to say. "Too many of them are. Too many of them forgot the oath we sore as soon as we entered the pre-outbreak military. Not me. We keep order, but we don't oppress the people. We're our own Zone. And…well…"

"Well what?"

"You can't stay. You've got 72 hours."

"What? No! We can't go back out there!" Ellie was feeling stressed out; she'd gone from worried to relieved to worried again way too quickly.

"Sure you can. And sorry, but this is the way things are." Martin Wong sighed. "Look, we'd love to take everyone in, but this place is basically a paradise. So we have to be a bit xenophobic. Not too much - that's why you've got the 72 hours. But we can only feed so many mouths. I'm sorry. The discussion is closed."

The Head Administrator stood up and walked out, leaving the two alone with their thoughts.

-msgu-

I always thought TLOU was a biiiiiiit to harsh on the feds because of its hidden libertarian streak. Don't get me wrong, fuck 'em, but I don't think they would immediately turn into the cartoonishly evil villains they are in TLOU. Some would retain a conscience. Albuquerque is my answer to that.

-msgu-

8 - 72 Hours

Begrudgingly, Ellie had to admit that the colonel was right.

This place was a paradise. Felina was all the proof she needed of that.

The mythical final episode of Breaking Bad had been scheduled to air just before the infection hit. Ellie was a huge Breaking Bad fan and had always found it difficult not being able to watch the final half of Season 5, as it had not been released on DVD at the time of the outbreak. But even pre-outbreak adults had only seen up to Granite State.

Pre-outbreak adults outside of Albuquerque, that is, where the show had been filmed and backup copies had been located soon after the outbreak. Once independence had been declared from FEDRA, everyone got to watch the finale. Including, of course, visitors to Albuquerque.

"So what is it everything you hoped for?" Lev asked conversationally. They were staying it what had once been an extended-stay hotel. It was run-down by pre-outbreak standards but luxurious by their own.

"And more," Ellie said. "Everything just wrapped up so perfectly…I'm so glad I got to see it."

Lev nodded. Then he decided to get to the heart of the matter. "So, where are we going tomorrow?"

"South," Ellie replied.

"South?"

"Well, we can't go back north because of the Scars," Ellie explained. "Odds are they've been able to at least hold onto the Northwest. And Jackson…"

She trailed off as she remembered her friends and family dying in horrible terror and fear. All they had worked for, torn asunder by those motherfucking Scars…

She pushed the thought aside. "There's nothing left up there," she said. "Scars are killing everyone they see who doesn't become cavemen. So we head South."

Lev regarded her for a moment, then nodded.

-msgu-

"Thanks for visiting! You can come back in one year."

Ellie and Lev waved as the gates to the Albuquerque Independent Quarantine Zone shut behind them.

"Well, I guess we're heading south, then?" Lev was nervous.

"South," Ellie replied confidently, and led the way.

9 - Meanwhile…

The Seraphites spoke of the Man With Blond Hair.

In what had once been Jackson, a new community emerged: New Haven. The former residents were disabused of their misguided beliefs and shown Her compassion. Medicine was kept, as were some books, but the filthy video games and movies that they consumed had been destroyed. Some complained. They were ignored. If they persisted, they were killed. If they ran, they were killed slowly.

Except for the Man With Blond Hair.

It was a rumor at first. Seraphites disappeared, and survivors of the disappearances spoke of a man with blond hair who had taken them.

Then the disappearances continued, and bodies were left behind. That was when the letters became capitalized.

-msgu-

Before the outbreak, Sarah had once played a video game called Mass Effect 3. Tommy had been in the room at the time but he hadn't been paying attention to it, taking care of work activities on his phone. One line from the game was now burned into his brain, however, from a character whose name he could not recall:

"The embodiment of vengeance. I am the anger of a dead people, demanding blood be spilled for the blood we lost."

Tommy lived to kill Seraphites. They had taken everything from him - Marie, Jackson, everything. And so now he would bleed them as often as he could.

To his annoyance, he usually had to make the deaths quick. There were a lot of them, and they were always looking for him. But they never found him.

They might one day, but he would take a LOT of them with him first.

-msgu-

Maria the Seraphite was the Enforcer.

The Death of Technology (or the "Fall of Jackson", a phrasing that was strictly prohibited but still sometimes used) had been a huge boon for their people. Hundreds of heretics had been shown the light of the Prophet. It was the fulfillment of Her vision.

And yet…

The Man With Blond Hair nagged at her still. He fell for no traps or ambushes. He was as quiet as a mouse. He-

"Hey there."

She turned around, and her face went white as a sheet when she saw a man that she knew was him. The blond hair, the gun…and the hatred in the eyes that bore into her very soul.

"Really? You get spooked that easily? Thought you were supposed to be the 'Enforcer'." He removed the safety from his gun. "Guess you'll go down just as fast as the rest!"

"Accursed heretic!" She shouted. She was dead now, might as well make a point. "The Prophet will punish you when your mortal life comes to an end!"

"Maybe," Tommy said neutrally. Then, without warning, he pointed his rifle downwards and shot Maria the Seraphite right in the gut.

She collapsed to the ground in agony.

"But until then, I'm takin' a lot of you with me. Enjoy the slow death. It's better than what you deserve for fuckin' taking Maria from me."

Maria the Seraphite was left to bleed out over the course of an hour as the Man With Blond Hair strolled away, ready to claim another victim.

-msgu-

Yara's entire being was fear and regret.

Fear of the monsters she had created with her discovery of the Death Note. And regret, constant regret, that she had let her mother take it from her.

The Seraphites were savages. She saw this clearly now, but she dared not speak the words aloud. And escape was more difficult now that so many had been attempted.

She sighed, and went back to her woodworking. This was life, the life she had made for herself with her short-sighted foolishness.

She hated that damn demon Deridovely so much.

10 - Truth Or Consequences

"I still miss that place."

It had been four days and Lev had not complained yet, so Ellie thought that was remarkable restraint.

"Me too," she agreed. "Finally getting to see the end of Breaking Bad-"

"Don't forget the testosterone!" Lev chimed in. "It was nice of them to let me take some."

They fell into silence for sometime, until they finally came across a city sign that was…unusual.

"Truth or Consequences? What the fuck kind of name is that?" Ellie wondered aloud.

"Who knows," Lev replied.

Ellie was silent, and stared at the sign.

"Something wrong?" Lev asked.

"This feels like a sign, for some reason."

She took her backpack out and dumped the Death Note out without picking it up.

"You said someone needs to touch it, right?"

"Yeah," Lev replied.

"Well I didn't. I saw it on a table and managed to scoop it into my backpack with a vase."

"How did you know?"

"I didn't. It just felt…creepy to me. Like I shouldn't put my hands on it."

"Why would they leave it lying around like that?"

"It was Marie's house. They were probably going to use it as a base of operations…"

"…oh."

They said nothing more as Ellie dumped the Death Note in front of the city sign, carefully keeping her limbs away as she did so.

"This thing is more trouble than it's worth," she said firmly. "Let's keep moving."

-msgu-

Like Youngsville, Truth or Consequences was in surprisingly decent shape.

Not as good as the former, obviously. The infected and raiders had left their mark. But they found an undamaged middle-class house not too far from the city sign. It was good enough for short term.

"Let's stay here for awhile," Lev said once they had settled in. "Looks like someone came here before us and burned down the two houses next door for safety. Should help us out."

"Agreed," Ellie said.

Epilogue: New Friends

2 years later…

"Mark, are you sure this place is alright?"

"Relax, Nora. We haven't seen anyone for miles. And a town called 'Truth or Consequences' seems like a good sign."

Mark and Nora did not notice a black book on the ground, for it had vanished years ago. But they did make out the singular house with the burned out husks directly next to it.

-msgu-

LEV: That's close enough!

MARK: Woah, sorry! We didn't know the place was occupied.

ELLIE: Well, it is.

NORA: Is there anyone else in this town?

LEV: No.

NORA: Well maybe we could trade for supplies then? Here, we'll take out our weapons and put them on the ground.

[disarmed.]

[pause.]

LEV: That was stupid.

MARK: Not everyone is out there to kill you. We try not to be like that.

ELLIE: How the fuck did you survive this long?

[laughter.]

NORA: Albuquerque kicked us out!

[pause.]

ELLIE: Alright, fine. Come on in, but let us frisk you first so we know you don't have any holdout guns.

MARK: Deal.

-msgu-

"I'd rather not talk about why, if that's all the same with you." Mark was polite, but clearly uncomfortable at the notion of talking.

"Fine by me," Ellie replied. "The past sucks. But…"

"But what?" Nora asked?

Ellie paused, gathering her thoughts.

"This place is out of the way," she finally said. "Albuquerque doesn't conduct raids here anymore because they already got most of the food supplies. But we've taken some trips and got a decent supply of our own together. There's…probably enough for all four of us."

Mark smiled. Sensing the moment, he raised his glass of water.

"To new friends?" He proposed the toast.

Ellie nodded. "To new friends."

Thus the four broke bread together, creating a new bond separated from the pain of the past.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022