• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

(SFW) Heroes of the New World - One Piece x My Hero Academia

Chapter 8
"Okay, first things first."

Izuku sat cross-legged on the mat, facing a kneeling Yamato.

"We're gonna need a pen and paper for me to make you a list of things to get." He cupped his chin. "Got anything to write with?"

"I do! Let me find something!"

Yamato got up and trotted over to her cupboard. After a few moments of very loud rummaging, she returned with an armful of bric-a-brac.

Izuku stared, wide-eyed, as she laid a wooden board before him, along with a roll of parchment, a set of charcoal sticks, some quills, and even an inkwell.

Yes. This place really was like old Japan. A land of Samurai and Daimyo, before the pirates took it over.

"Okay then," he said, picking up a charcoal stick and starting to write. "We'll be flying high over the ocean, so we're gonna need jackets to keep us warm, and a compass too so we can find our way…or one of those Log Posses from Oden's journal, only I don't know how to use one of those. We'll need food that can go in the jacket pockets, just enough to get us to an island. We should maybe get a map too, but we might not be able to get one without…"

He paused, as he saw how Yamato was beaming at him.

"You seem to think things through a lot, don't you Izuku," she commented, still smiling.

"Uh, well, it's a habit," he said awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. "I used to spend forever gathering info on heroes and writing it down. I used to nerd out about it…a lot…make that all the time…"

Yamato giggled. Ordinarily being giggled at by a girl would have reduced him to the depths of embarrassment. But this time it didn't. There was something…honest about Yamato, something sincere. It's like she was hanging off his every word, and loved every last one.

"Say Yamato," he said, remembering himself. "Have you ever gone to the inventory to ask for stuff?"

"Not really," replied Yamato. "Only for these clothes. The belt I made myself!" She pointed at it, grinning with pride. "If I needed anything else, I had to sneak in there. Before I got strong enough to just walk in, that is."

"You snuck around there?"

"Yes. After I declared myself Kozuki Oden, my father ordered that no one was to give me anything. I had to sneak around the crawl spaces and air ducts to get into places. Now I can just walk in and they give me anything I want, but that's just because they're afraid."

She was smiling, but her smile had faded somehow.

"Do you remember them? Those places?" Izuku asked. "I'd rather you not draw suspicion as to why you're asking for a spare Beast Pirate costume and well, you know, the essentials we need for when we get out of here." He said, explaining his reasoning. The white haired woman's eyes flashed as it came together.

"Ohhhh I get it! And no worries! I know those spaces like the back of my hand!"

Yamato grinned, and stood up to reach atop her cabinet, bringing down a sack. She took a candle from the cabinet, lit it with a match, then turned her attention to the wall beside it. Izuku watched, amazed, as she carefully pressed the edges of one of the wooden panels, until it came away and slid aside.

"And there we are!" she declared, grinning even wider as she undid her bulky belt, then took up the candle and sack. "Follow me!"

(X)

It did not take long for Izuku to lose track of time.

The crawl spaces were dark and winding, ranging from rocky caverns and crudely-cut tunnels through to gaps and crawl spaces. Izuku was fine with such places, but he had trouble keeping up with Yamato; who knew the endlessly-twisting network far better than he did.

All the same, he was glad he had gone. The crawl spaces seemed to go everywhere, and they were full of gaps and peepholes, allowing him to see the rooms and corridors beyond. It was like something out of a ninja castle.

The Beast Pirates, as he saw them for the first time, were most definitely not. They looked more like vikings or bikers than anything that belonged in an old Japanese-style castle. Each one wore a horned helmet and a heavy-looking fur cape, along with big belts and all manner of weapons and accessories. They were of all shapes and sizes, and all ages. Most of them were men, but he could see one or two women too.

Fortunately, it was late in the evening. Most would be in bed, or getting drunk down in the mess halls, or maybe doing late-night duties. They didn't seem like the most reliable types to Izuku, but then again, this was the first he had seen of them.

Then Yamato stopped, in a small space lined with floorboards on the bottom. There was a crack in the boards, with light flickering up through it.

"It felt so much bigger in here when I was little," she said, chuckling. The small space was quite tight, forcing Izuku to back up a bit, and carefully move around Yamato as she got into position, and peered down through the crack.

He couldn't see much, for there was little light. But he could see long racks, containing rows and rows of equipment. They had reached their destination.

"Okay, now which board was it?"

Yamato carefully felt around the boards, pressing them very gently, until finally one of them popped loose.

"There. You can tell them by the nicks."

She pointed at the board, and Izuku saw two divots in the wood. Holding the candle closer, he saw two marks.

"They're from my horns," Yamato explained, grinning.

"That makes sense," he whispered back, as Yamato eased up enough boards to make a hole, then began to wiggle her way down. She paused, grunted, then pulled back up.

"It's been a while, I got too big, haha," she chuckled, patting her…chest.

Izuku blushed. She wasn't too over-endowed for her size, but there was no denying that her chest was… quite large. It was a good thing Mineta wasn't there.

"Don't worry, I'll go."

Izuku carefully clambered around her, then eased himself forward through the hole,

The chamber was what it appeared to be; an armory or storage room of some kind, dimly lit, and entirely deserted. Long racks dominated the room, stacked with trays and boxes. Some of them were even labeled.

These pirates were better organized than he had expected. More like an army, for all their wild appearance.

"Can I get the sack?" he asked. Yamato handed him the sack, and he crawled forward, lowering himself down through the hole

"Careful you're gonna fall!" hissed Yamato. But Izuku let himself drop, his power rising with a thought. His fall halted, and he hovered in mid air, grinning back up at her.

"Ah, right, that," Yamato said, grinning back.

Izuku floated gently down, hovering just above the floorboards as he moved along the racks, taking what he needed. Two Triple-needled Log Posses, then a backpack, then two pairs of goggles, then a jacket. Having got all he needed, he searched again through the jackets, looking for one large enough for Yamato. He picked out one of the largest, then floated up to Yamato.

"Try this on," he hissed, passing it up through the hole. Yamato took it, and slid it on. It was a bit tight around her bosom, but it'll fit.

"It'll do," she whispered back.

"Right, now for a disguise."

He floated back down, and moved back along the racks. But there was no sign of any of those strange uniforms from before. His search took him along the racks, until he reached the corner of the chamber, where a door was set into the wall. There was light coming from under it, and the sound of talking.

Carefully, Izuku eased himself closer, and listened.

"So hear the rumors?" came a raspy noise. "Heard there's gonna be a big announcement at the Fire Festival this year."

"Oh yeah?" came another male voice, one more grungy in tone. "Like what?"

"Not sure, but it's gonna be big. Something about bolstering our forces. All I know is one of the ships under King's command came back from an island in the New World."

"Got a clue from where? I raise."

"Tch, fine. I call ya. It's been hush hush... but... " A yawn.. "If it's enough that Lord Kaido would send King out there... I'm betting it's Devil Fruits. Plural."

"Why's that?" Grungy asked.

"Well, weapons and that sort is more up Queen's alley, you know how he is.." There was a pause, and the sound of chugging. Drinking.

"Faaaaa... and like, it wouldn't be so hush hush about it... wouldn't need a big announcement so... I bet Lord Kaido might hold some kind of tournament... and all of the Non-Headliners have a chance to fight it out for these. He holds them at the Fire Festival sometimes."

"Well, count me in. You could be set for life selling one of those in Paradise. Imagine how one can sell in the New World."

"You thinkin' on selling? Better to eat'em and become a Headliner! That is, if it is Devil Fruits. For all we know it could be new weapons or some shit. And three eights and a Jack. Eat'em."

"Cute." Grungy toned.

"Gaaah shit! Four tens?! You tricked me!"

Grungy laughed at Raspy's displeasure in losing as Izuku floated away from the door. He turned back around, and headed down the next row. Various odds and ends, glasses…horns! He stuffed a pair in his sack, and continued along the row, eventually reaching a door.

COAT ROOM

Izuku grinned. He opened the door, wincing as it creaked. He paused, glancing up at Yamato, who was already putting the boards back. He looked back towards the other door, where Grungy and Raspy were. But the door remained closed. They hadn't heard him.

He slid the door all the way open, and floated through. Inside there were indeed coats, arranged on racks along the walls.

"How many animals did they skin for these?" Izuku mused aloud as he reached out, setting the candle down on a ledge before grabbing one and trying it on.

Too small. He put it back and tried another, and another, until he found on that fitted right. He stuffed it into the sack, then grabbed the candle and floated out, closing the door behind him. Above, Yamato pulled aside the boards as he floated up to her.

"Okay, got our stuff." He said with a grin as Yamato nodded.

"I was half worried there. Your flying quirk is very handy!"

"Tell me about it." Izuku replied as she put the board back in place. "Come on, let's go."

"Kaido's lair is at the top floor, near the Castle section." Yamato whispered as they began to shuffle backwards. "You'll need to make your way there... and find the air ducts. The attic-crawl spaces there are already filled up and destroyed."

"Why's that?"

"Because I used them to ambush him in the past. They got wrecked, and the work crews filled them in."

Izuku nodded. That made sense.

"Got it... air duct, top floor, Castle Section. Just gotta make my way there without anyone noticing."

"Better to know the lay of the land first." Yamato replied. "Think you can do it?"

"Yeah, I can just fly out your window, land somewhere unseen and go about my business there outside the Skull Dome."

Izuku took a deep breath. Step one was complete. Now for step two.

"Back to your room, change into my disguise, then take a wander around Onigashima," he mused aloud.

Chapter 9
Spytand Malice glared, as his fur-clad subordinates hurried about their duties.

"Keep it moving!" he barked. "Lord Kaido wants these stores stowed by nightfall!"

The pirates did as they were told. Malice watched them as they scurried along the wide corridors, lugging wooden boxes between them. The boxes were open, leaving their contents visible as they passed. Bags of rice, ginger roots, enormous daikon radishes, fresh fruits; ice boxes full of fresh fish and meat, whole squid, enormous crabs and lobsters. Bottles of vinegar, soy sauce, fine wine and a dozen things he didn't recognise.

Food. Not the usual faire, which would be stored down in the basement for the rank and file. No, this was the finest food; the best that Wano had to offer. It would be stored in pantries and cold rooms inside the castle, to be inspected by the chefs, and then prepared for the highest of the Beast Pirates. The All-Stars, his fellow Flying Six, their various hangers-on, and Kaido himself. All would feast on this food and drink, amid the merrymaking of the Fire Festival.

And it was his job to make sure it got stowed safely.

He watched in silence, the minutes ticking by. On and on the pirates scurried, lugging their loads, or scurrying back for more.

He hated this job.

He knew that it was technically an honour, and he was in no position to refuse anyway. But that didn't make it anything less than a chore, and a stressful one at that. Every creak of wood, every clink of bottle-on-bottle, made his teeth clench. Any bottle dropped and broken was one less for his fellows and superiors to drink; not to mention a mess needing cleaning up. And mess was not tolerated, not in the cavernous corridors of the inner castle.

They wouldn't drop anything. They knew where they were, and what would happen to them if they did. But that didn't make it any less annoying.

Malice seethed. He should have been out on the sea, with the wind in his face and ships at his command. He should have been bringing in more loot, getting himself noticed.

But he couldn't. Kaido had called a halt to the raids, and ordered all warships to be repaired and restocked. More weapons and supplies were being brought in from Wano; cannon, shells, muskets, bullets, gunpowder, even timber and parts. All that, on top of the festival preparations. His fellow Flying Six had been run ragged, with Queen and Jack breathing down their necks all the while.

And King, of all people, had been sent out on a special mission. A mission that had the lower ranks abuzz with gossip. King the Wildfire, the longest-serving of the three All-Stars, and many reckoned the strongest. Malice had never seen his face, let alone knew where he came from, or what he was truly capable of. But according to rumour – whispered or drunkenly blathered – Kaido had found him in a World Government laboratory.

Regardless, for him to be sent out at a time like this, it had to be something important. And the gossips were all whispering the same thing.

Devil Fruit.

The thought of it made him shiver. Devil Fruit, the mysterious fruits found all around the world. One single bite granted a wondrous power, some commonplace and some terrifying, but each one unique. Some merely altered the consumer's body, while others let them transform into animals or mythical creatures; and a rare few allowed control of an element. The price in every case was the same. Those who ate a Devil Fruit would never again be able to swim. No one knew how or why, it was what it was.

Devil Fruit. Was it possible?

A flicker of movement drew him from his thoughts. He looked along the line, half-expected to see someone struggling, or something about to fall. But there was nothing to see. The line was moving along, just as it was supposed to.

No, the movement was on the other side of the wide corridor. Malice looked, and saw a pirate hurrying along, eyes straight ahead, seemingly heedless of what was going on around him.

Malice regarded him for a moment. It was a young man, not much more than a boy, with curly green hair and a round, soft-looking face. Not the sort of person he would have expected to see in the horns and cape of the Beast Pirates. Even as the youth drew closer, and Malice saw hard muscle and scars, he seemed very young.

Were the Beast Pirates letting children join now? Ulti and Page One May have joined as children but they have been the exceptions and more than proven themselves, despite Ulti's boorish personality and Page One being her doormat.

A clatter brought his head snapping round. Two pirates carrying a box had stumbled, the sake bottles within it clattering around inside. Fortunately none of them had been damaged.

"Careful with that!" he snapped, looming over the luckless pair. "That sake is for Lord Kaido and the All-Stars! For every bottle broken, a broken bone! Understand!?"

"Yes Lord Malice!" babbled the pair. "Sorry Lord Malice!"

"Get on with you!"

Malice glared after the pair as they hurried away, their fellows scurrying along behind them, heads down, not daring to meet his gaze.

It felt good to be so feared. It felt good to have such power.

Then he remembered. He looked round, but there was no sign of the green-haired youth from a moment ago.

Malice's lip curled. He was annoyed, and he wasn't quite sure why. He hadn't seen that boy before, but it wasn't like he actually recognised any of the pirates. There were too many of them for that. It wasn't even particularly suspicious that he was there; there were plenty of other pirates running around running any number of errands. To have stopped him, even just to ask him, was more trouble than it was worth.

He knew why. It was because of her. Yamato.

He glowered at the scurrying pirates, venting a little of his frustration. It had been days since he had seen Yamato making off with that tuna, and still he didn't know what she was up to. Still she was hiding in her room, only coming out to meditate on the beach or to get more food; and always it was enough food for two.

And still she hadn't challenged her father!

His fellow Flying Six had been of no help. None of them took him seriously; at least not over this. They all thought she was just taking her time getting ready for her next bout with Kaido.
Malice supposed that was the most likely explanation. But what if it wasn't? What if something else was going on? Did she have someone in her room after all? If so, who or what was it?

He shook his head, and glanced down the corridor. He could see the end of the line, moving slowly towards him. His task was just about complete. Once everything was stowed, and the pirates were dismissed, he could do a little snooping.

Except he couldn't. He would have to go and find Queen and Jack, the other two All-Stars, and see if they needed anything done. With Onigashima in chaos as it was, slacking off would not look good. The last thing he wanted was any of the All-Stars after his blood.

Especially if he was to take one of their places sometime soon.

So he waited, forcing himself not to tap his foot, until the last of the boxes had been lugged along the corridor, and the last empty-handed pirate had scuttled past him. He sighed, then strode down the corridor, and down the stairs. He knew where Queen would be.

His journey took him out of the castle, and onto what the island's inhabitants called the Live Floor. The floor itself was on the Skull Dome's ground level, and was in effect a town in its own right. The buildings were in the Wano style, with white walls buttressed in oak, and wide pagoda roofs. The street itself was paved in wooden planks, and soribashi bridges led away to other streets. It was mostly deserted, but for lines of pirates scurrying back and forth with their heavy loads. During the Fire Festival it would be swarming with pirates; some enjoying themselves out in the streets, others inside the buildings, and the private rooms within.

And upon the balcony where he stood, he would perform; for the adoring crowds below.

Malice looked around. It did not take him long to find the one he was looking for.

"Keep those crates moving! Drop one and you won't be around to complain!"

Malice steeled himself, then headed for the nearest stairs. By the time he reached floor level, he was still there.

"Zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom…ohhhhhhh…"

Queen the Plague turned slowly to face him; his obese form creaking as he moved. He loomed over Malice like the living nightmare he was, his tiny eyes staring out from the flesh of his swollen head, sitting atop rolls of fat that had long since taken the place of his neck; if he ever had one.

It was all Malice could do not to shudder. In a world full of bizarre things, just looking at Queen made his stomach churn. That enormous figure, its bulk partly concealed by black and white striped overalls, the scarred torso heavy with muscle, the legs tiny, almost stick-like. One arm was mechanical, a memento of a battle Malice had never seen, and the other was long and fat, reaching down to his tiny legs. Upon its fleshy should was emblazoned a Jolly Roger in black, with the word QUEEN emblazoned under it; in case there was any doubt as to who it belonged to.

"Ohhhh…" cooed the thick, purple-painted lips, between which a smouldering cigar was perched. "It's Spytand Malice…come with spite and malice aforethought. What's up with a malicious marine? You come to challenge me?"

The painted lips split into a smirk, followed by a shriek of laughter; the fat wobbling, the blonde top-knot and moustaches bouncing as Queen guffawed at his own joke. Around them, the pirates continued with their lugging, not daring to look.

"The upper kitchen supplies are stowed, Lord Queen," replied Malice, with all the dignity and respect he could muster. "The upper kitchens have everything they need."

"Do they now?" Queen leered down at him, making him want to run and hide. "I sure do hope so, Mister Spiteful Malice. You know how Kaido likes his sake."

Malice knew better than to correct the mispronunciation of his name. Survive long enough in the upper ranks of the Marines, and you had a fighting chance of surviving on Onigashima.

"And you know, Mister Spiteful Malicious, how I like my oshiruko," declared Queen. "Methinks they'd better not run out on the night, or tonight, or in the next hour. 'Cause we all know whose fault it'll be."

"I saw it all go in, Lord Queen," Malice replied. "And I saw it all stowed. The cooks know how you like it."

And they did. Just as they knew what would happen to them if Queen had to go without his favourite food for more than ten minutes.

"Funny, 'cause you're the one fulla beans these days!" quipped Queen with a laugh. "Sneaking around the place, stalking Yamato. What's wrong, Spiteful Malicious? You taken a shine to Princess Oden?"

He struck a pose, bringing his mechanical hand to his ear to 'listen'. The pirates paused, for what felt like forever, and then started laughing. Malice knew it was as forced as it sounded, but it still made him want to kill something.

"Lord Queen, she's acting strangely!" he insisted. "She keeps taking food for two people, but she never leaves her room! And she hasn't challenged Lord Kaido in days!"

"Oh, now that is just so strange, and so suspicious!" drawled Queen. "Maybe somebody ought to do something about it?"

He paused. The air around them was icy cold. Malice knew what was coming.

"Bzzzt! Wrong! Get outta here Spiteful Malicious the princess stalker! You're as bad as King!" roared Queen, amid the cheers of the pirates. "Why don't you try talking to her! If you think you'll survive!"

Malice turned on his heel and stormed away, teeth gritted, ignoring the hoots of laughter, and Queen joining them.

"Marines! Ever the dickless stiffs ey boys!" He mocked with his fellows as he laughed. "Now get back to work!" The obese giant then barked, humming off as Malice marched away, his teeth sharpening into canines, his gripped hands feeling the claws forming at his fingertips.

He would kill that one. Yes, for sure. King was someone he respected. Sure, Jack was weaker, but he would not enjoy killing any of them like he would enjoy killing Queen the Plague.

When the time was right.

And once he had figured out what on earth Yamato was up to.

Chapter 10
A day and change of exploration, and Izuku felt utterly dissatisfied.

He sat in the mess hall, keeping to himself as he ate. Around him the pirates hustled and bustle, stuffing themselves with food and drinking to the gills. So far no one had even noticed him, let alone bothered to speak to him.

Izuku had done nothing to draw attention to himself. He had joined in with their work, lugging food and drink up from the docks and stowing it in the various pantries and freezers. The latter had been a surprise. He had not expected to see electricity in a place such as this; but clearly they had it. More to the point, he had made a note of all the important locations throughout the Skull Dome; as the island's main geographical feature was called.

All the while, he had kept up his cover; a greenhorn pirate, who had the sense not to think himself overworked. He did as he was told, with head lowered and no complaint, never looking anyone in the eyes. He had gotten some odd looks from higher-ranking pirates, but none of them had said or done anything. Most of the other pirates were older than him, or at least looked older, but he had scar and muscle enough to match any of them.

The one thing he did not do - dared not do - was join in their merrymaking. The barracks were awash with beer, rum, sake, and liquor he had never heard of; the air thick with tobacco smoke and other scents he didn't recognise. He had never seen men and women carry on like that, drinking and smoking themselves into stupor.

Fortunately, he didn't have to stay there. Every night he crept back to Yamato's quarters to sleep; unnoticed all the while. Her apartment was in what looked like a neglected area of the fortress, where no one went unless they had to.

It felt…lonely just thinking about it. No one seemed to care if Yamato were even alive, let alone what she might be doing. And the rest of this place too, these people. What sort of life made them want to drug themselves into oblivion at the end of the day?

He shook his head, driving such thoughts away. Now wasn't the time. The Fire Festival was due to begin that very evening. But for the watch he had acquired from the inventory, he would never have guessed that it was already late afternoon. The weather outside was dark and stormy; as it always was on Onigashima, it seemed.

He glanced at his watch. Time to reconvene with Yamato, and go over the plan one last time.

He finished his meal, then stood up and put the plate on the allotted tray, forcing himself not to look at the small children gathering up plates and bowls from the other tables. Their clothes were ragged, and there were cuffs on their wrists; not unlike the ones Yamato wore. They kept their heads down, working in silence as the pirates ate and drank and laughed all around them.

A loud crash almost made him jump. He glanced around, and saw a boy of about ten sprawled on the floor amid a sea of broken crockery; surrounded by laughing and jeering pirates.

Izuku looked away. There was nothing he could do, no way he could help them. He had to escape. He had to get Yamato out of there! He had promised her!

He strode out of the mess hall, the ugly laughter ringing in his ears. He had come to understand why Yamato was so contemptuous of the Beast Pirates; why she would rather be a prisoner than be one of them.

And they weren't the worst, not by a long shot. Yamato had warned him of the others, those who led the Beast Pirates in Kaido's name. The Flying Six, and the three All-Stars above them, whom the pirates spoke of with dread.

Of the former, two he had seen already. Sasaki, a rotund man with an under-bite jaw and a mane of green hair; an easygoing fellow from the look of him, whom his subordinates actually seemed to like.

And Spytand Malice, a man who might have been good-looking if not for the permanent scowl that made Sir Nighteye look jovial by comparison. Izuku had seen him only once, and had been glad not to see him again. He had barked and cursed at his hapless subordinates, and generally looked as if he wanted to kill something.

And he had heard the one called Queen the Plague; tremors in the floor, bursts of song, and barks of cruel laughter. From what he had overhead, Queen was the technological genius behind the Beast Pirates; the inventor of many of their weapons. His concerts were also, from what he had heard, not to be missed.

But he too was feared. They were all feared. The lowly pirates feared their officers, and the officers feared their own superiors.

Izuku felt a little better as he exited the dome. The dome was enormous, like a mountain carved into the shape of a horned skull, with inner caverns big enough to house whole towns. It had taken him days to map out its interior, finding all the tunnels and stairwells and elevators; though he had yet to find out how they were generating electricity. Otherwise, the part that had truly interested him was a little place at the back, near the ventilation system.

His route took him round the side of the dome. Fog hovered over the river moat that encircled the dome, while ocean mist drifted in from the mountain range the encircled the moat in turn. Onigashima really was a place like no other; a natural fortress, all but immune to attack. Izuku had wondered more than once what it would take to storm that place. What army, what host of heroes, could have fought their way through all that?

All at once, he reached his destination. There, above him, was the chalk mark he had left behind on the rock of the mountainside. He glanced around, making sure no one was watching him, then took to the air. Float carried him upward, the cold wind whistling around him as he accelerated. For hundreds and hundreds of meters he ascended, rising above the fog, until he reached the open window.

He loved flying, as he had loved few other things. But Yamato's window was a welcome sight. It was the only warm place on all of Onigashima.

"Ah, you're back!" declared Yamato. She was kneeling by the bed, their equipment arranged upon it. Two backpacks stuffed with food, and topped with rolled blankets. The two Log Possess, and the goggles too.

"Yeah, just need a break before the mandatory assembly," he said, sitting down by the bed and taking off his horns. "Some big announcement by Kaido himself."

"I see." Yamato scooted over to sit beside him. "Shall we go over the plan one last time?"

"Yeah." Izuku turned to face her. "We wait until Kaido is passed out drunk, as late as we can get it to make sure everyone is asleep. Right before sunrise at least. ."

He held up his watch to show her. Yamato held up her watch, the one he had nabbed for her along with his own. Being too small to fit on her wrist, she held it in her hand instead.

"I'll be in the air vent near his room, while you attack him."

"And while he's distracted, you get the key," Yamato mused. "My father tends to take his trousers off when he's drunk in bed."

Izuku paused, caught off-guard by the comment.

"So…it's in his pants then?"

"Yes. Whenever we fight, he always pats his trouser pocket. You should probably swap it, so he doesn't realize right away."

"Right…" Izuku murmured, hand on his chin. "So long as he goes straight back to bed and doesn't check…"

It was getting late, too late for this. They had only hours, yet still they were finding holes in the plan. This was going to be one hell of a gamble.

But he couldn't think of anything else. It was a chance they were going to have to take.

"I'll keep him distracted," Yamato urged. "When I fight him in that state, he never bothers to put his trousers back on. You'll have your chance."

"Right." Izuku nodded, deciding once again to trust her. "So, all I need to do is get into the vent and get into place. The only worry is the Flying Six and the All-Stars?"

Izuku glanced up at the small air vent embedded in the wall near the ceiling.

"Too bad I can't use that," he commented. "But you said these air vents are a different network."

"They are. I checked myself this morning."

"Oh well. Can you get to his room okay?"

"Of course!" Yamato grinned. "No one will stop me, not when I come to challenge him."

"They really won't?"

"Kaido gave orders. No one is to fight me unless I call them out openly. He wants to be the only one to beat me."

"Got it." Izuku looked at his watch. "I'm going to take a little rest, then I'm gonna head to the assembly."

"I'll get something to eat for myself and 'meditate'." Yamato got up, taking Takeru in hand and tightening her rope belt. "You rest up Izuku... tonight's the night."

"I know." He got up on Yamato's bed and rested against her pillows. As he closed his eyes, he heard the door slide shut.

(X)

Izuku awoke, and glanced at his watch. It was almost time for the assembly.

There was no sign of Yamato, so he got up, tidied the bed out of habit, then dropped out of the window; floating down to ground level.

The main entrance - the Skull's jagged-toothed maw - was swarming with pirates heading inside. Izuku fell in with them, head lowered, silent amid the hubbub. Many spoke too loudly, while others swigged from bottles; the stench of rum heavy in the air. It was enough to make him miss the Tokyo Subway, even at rush hour.

He clenched his fists as he trudged on. He was a Pro Hero from another world, alone in a hive of honest-to-goodness pirates; Villains of the ocean waves.

"Keep a calm mind," Yoichi spoke in his ear, with a voice that wasn't real. "Do not give yourself away. Observe, but move unnoticed."

Izuku looked around. Pirates swarmed around him; those stationed on Onigashima, and those brought in from mainland Wano, all mingling and chattering amiably; or as amiable as people like them could be. No one paid him the slightest attention.

Then he saw the signs. They were all trooping towards the Live Floor, whatever that was.

"So what's going to be on the Live Floor?" he asked, looking up at the gruff-looking pirate next to him. The pirate, a much older man, sneered down at him.

"Lord Kaido's making an announcement," he replied. "From his castle."

"But before that, Lord Queen's gonna sing!" chirped a female pirate with a shapely figure. She'd be attractive, but for the scars and the eyepatch. "I've always wanted to see him on the Live Floor! Everyone talks about it all the time! He's so amazing!"

"Okay then." Izuku replied, facing ahead as they continued on through the tunnel. So the Live Floor was in front of the castle…the castle he needed to infiltrate.

Better to stick around until the assembly was done. With all those people around, it shouldn't be that hard to sneak in.

As he entered, the first thing Izuku noticed was that the Live Floor had the openness of a stadium. It was large, with countless rafters and balconies as many more pirates were taking their spots and places. Bridges connecting various floors around them, all styled in old Japanese pagoda style, with electrical lighting all around them. During his scouting, Izuku hadn't come here, both due to his 'duties' as a pirate, and that the doors to the Live Floor was cordoned off, likely due to whatever Queen is up too. He can see the many banners and colorful lanterns all around as Izuku began to climb up some steps, being funneled to one section of the stadium-sized room.

Up ahead, Izuku can see it.

The first two floors, but it was styled as a castle with several balconies and a large stage. No doubt for Queen, but the balconies look much akin to a platform for public speakers behind the railings.

Kaido would be there.

Izuku felt a shiver of anticipation as his group slowed to a halt as he was against the railing, feeling pressed against it as many other pirates were taking their stand. There weren't any seats.

He can hear the droning noise of the ambiance within this giant chamber as Izuku felt the ground shake and he jumped up.

"Earthquake?" he said, mostly out of habit. No one bothered to respond. They probably couldn't hear him.

Then he saw them. In one corner of the Live Floor, an open space populated by enormous shadows. They were tall, taller than buildings, with long fangs and curving horns.

"What are those?" Izuku asked, tapping on the older pirate's shoulder. He looked down with a sneer, then scoffed as he saw where Izuku was pointing.

"Talk about green," he growled. "Those are Numbers. Artificial giants Lord Kaido bought sixteen years ago." He replied. "They're stupid, but they get the job done; when the job is killing and eating people."

He turned back to his fellows. Izuku blinked.

Artificial giants?

Killing people?

He turned away, trying to ignore their strange, bellowing laughter, and tried to make sense of where he was.

The castle was massive, about as wide as the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building's base, and he couldn't tell how tall. There were balconies and verandahs, even then filling with people.

But these were different. They didn't dress like Beast Pirates. Some of them were even wearing traditional Japanese garb; or something like it. Some in totally unique attire different from the authentic Japanese asthetic or fur cape and horns.

Who were they? Other pirate crews? People from Wano? But if they were from Wano, why would they be there? Yamato had made out that Kaido was oppressing them.

Or were they with that fellow Orochi? That made sense.

He lowered his eyes to the floor, looking around for an exit. THere were two doors, to the left and right of the castle; both of them packed with pirates streaming in. From what he knew of the layout, he could get into the castle from either of those doors; and from there, into the ventilation system.

He drew a long breath, and then another. This place was huge, overwhelmingly so. How could there be a giant mountain shaped like a skull? And how could it have such intricate architecture? A castle the size of a skyscraper, a performance floor the size of a stadium, a port big enough for dozens of ships, and countless more besides.

It was like nothing he had ever seen or imagined. Onigashima was an architectural marvel, up there with I-island!

THe lights suddenly dimmed, and the crowd began to roar. Coloured lights flickered on and off, and the roaring grew even louder.

"He's heeeereee!" shrieked the woman from earlier.

"Here he comes!" yelled an overexcited pirate. Izuku clung to the railing, trying to steady himself as the pirates surged forward, the crowd undulating back and forth, bumping him all the while.

The lights flickered and flashed, and the words GOLDEN FESTIVAL appeared above the main stage. And above that, a horned skull atop of four bones in a skull-and-crossbones Jolly Roger, the word QUEEN written under it.

The crowd cheered again as drums began to rattle and thud. Izuku had to cling hard to the railing to steady himself. The noise was deafening, worse than anything he could remember. He could even smell beer being tossed around.

"ALRIGHT EVERYONE!" yelled a voice Izuku could not see. "IT'S TIME FOR THE FIRE FESTIVAL TO BEGIN! TO KICK THINGS OFF! YOU KNOW HIM! I KNOW HIM! THE ONE. THE ONLY!"

Something erupted from under the stage. Izuku gaped as a gargantuan man dropped lightly onto the boards, striking a pose as he landed. He was enormously fat, with blonde hair in a long braided topknot, his eyes concealed by goggles. All around him, backup dancers in fur capes and matching goggles formed up.

"THE PLAGUE! QUEEEEEEN!"

The crowd roared. Izuku clutched his hands to his ears, drying to block out the noise. The pirates around him were jumping up and down in mad delight. That woman from before was squealing, hearts in her eyes.

He could hardly believe it.

"ALRIGHT THEN!" Queen belted, hand on a mic, and he snapped his fingers. "Hit it!"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxDTilDaIKs

The lights dimmed, and the music started up. Izuku could hear the crowd chanting, moving in time with Queen as he hunched over, arms low, moving from side to side in a one legged jump. His dancers doing the same.

"Zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom zoom~"

The lights flickered in time, changing colour with every zoom.

"I'll be too popular if I keep my chunk~"

"So I won't be thin, it's just my FUNK!"

"Zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom zoom!" the crowd changed in unison, matching Queen's moves, dancing as one.

"I may look fat but I'm a musclehunk!" he roared, twirling with a grace that should not have been physically possible, his muscles rippling with every movement.

"I can sing and dance, cuz that's my-!"

He leanr out to the crowd, hand on his ears and holding out his mic.

"FUUUUUUUUUUNK!" roared the crowd in reply.

Izuku winced. He had never liked concerts, not like this.

On went the tune, Queen dancing in time, his backup dancers striking poses around him. Finally the song reached its climax, fireworks erupting all around him.

"Yeeeeeeaaah!" Queen roared. "Get excited ya mangy wenches and sons-of-bitches!"

He grinned, leering out as he pointed at the crowd as the fireworks died down, the crowd cheering.

Izuku felt the woman slump against him. He looked up, worried, but there was a look of utter bliss on her face.

"Lord Queen...called me...a mangy wench~" she stammered, hugging herself.

Queen breathed, wiping his brow as he walked up around the stage, grinning as he chomped on an enormous cigar.

"Can I get a yeah!" he yelled into his mic, Izuku winced at the feedback, but the crowd didn't care.

"YEAH!" The crowd belted.

"Can I get a Yeah!"

"Yeah!"

"Can I get a 'What'!" He brought his hand to his ear, beaming as he played the crowd of pirates in the tens of thousands like a fiddle.

"WHAT!"

"What?"

"WHAT!"

"I say 'Yeah' you say 'What'!" Queen added. "Yeah!"

"WHAT!" The crowd bellowed.

"When I say 'What' can I get a 'Yeah!" Queen grinned. "What?"

"YEAH!"

Izuku jammed his hands against his ears, grinding his teeth.

"What?"

"YEAH!"

"Yeah?"

"WHAT!"

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah~!" Queen yelled.

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT~!"

"What?" He said softly then.

"YEAH!" The crowd yelled but in a softer tone.

"Oh yeah."

"Oh what!"

"What yeah!"

"YEAH WHAT!"

"What?"

"YEAH!"

"Fuck you." Queen finished, pointing towards Izuku's direction as the boy felt his heart stop for a moment before he laughed. He heard a squeal, the woman from before... and other women in the area howling.

"Oh please do! Lord Queeeeen!" the woman shrieked, waving as she shoved Izuku aside. "Pleeeeaaaahehehehese!"

She slumped, foaming at the mouth... and Izuku just let her drop to the floor.

Queen laughed, walking around on stage.

"Okay then!" The lights were coming back to normal. "How's everyone doing tonight?"

The crowd roared their approval.

"I figured as much! It's the annual Golden Festival after all! So for the next couple'a'days, you get to drink, eat, and party the day away! After all, y'all worked hard, so time to party hard!" He grinned, hand on his hip. "We also got some important news to announce tonight!"

(X)

High above within the crawl spaces, Yamato peeked from a hole, gazing out onto the Live Floor.

She sat, her Kanabo close by, watching the horde of pirates enjoy Queen's little jig. Her eyes scanned the crowd, searching for some trace of Izuku.

Nothing. She moved along the floor, staring down through the crack, but there was no sign of him anywhere.

She had to find him. She had to see him move towards the castle's first floor. Once she did, she could make her own move.

So…where was he?

(X)

"But first! We're gonna do a roll call, ya know who you are!" Queen bellowed, pointing towards the balconies and private rooms where pirates loyal to Kaido and high ranking officers sat.

High above in the rafters, Malice sat leaning against a beam, hidden in the shadows, glaring down at the obese All-Star.

"Let me hear it from your guts! The best of the best! Headliners!"

The pirates on the balcony cheered back, the pirates below joining in. Malice could not help but feel nostalgic. He had been one of them, not so long ago. They were pirate captains who had bent the knee to Kaido, usually after being crushed in personal combat.

Not like him. Kaido had not persuaded him with violence. He had known what he was getting himself in for, long before he had reached Onigashima. Those Headliners who objected to his presence, or who got in his way, had paid with their lives; their blood proof of his worth.

"And next up! Give it up foooor!" Queen posed, pointing towards an empty box as Malice rolled his eyes. "The Flying Siiiix!"

Silence. The box was empty, and Malice knew why. The Flying Six had their own quarters, and were keeping the Fire Festival in their own way.

Besides, they couldn't stand Queen either. The only exception was Black Maria, but she had no apparent desire to rise. She seemed content to be where she was.

Then again, she could afford to be. She was Kaido's favorite courtesan, and far more dangerous than that role implied. Malice knew better than to underestimate her, or the others. The too-jovial Sasaki, the too-lax Who's Who, and the petulant Ulti and her doormat of a brother, Page One.

The arena was still silent. Malice could hear a cough or two.

"Kiddiiiiing!" Queen chortled. "Those dickless killjoys never come around do they!"

The rest of the auditorium laughed, and Malice ground his teeth. "Not once ya know, for all those newcomers out there! Just for tonight just forgot about those absolute maroons ey?"

He twirled, and pointing up towards the Numbers' Corner.

"Now let's give it up for the meat and potatoes, the monsters of the Beast Pirates!" Even the back up dancers pointed. "The Numbers!"

The collection of artificial giants, their minds ruined from experimentation from Punk Hazard all roared and laughed, their eyes agleam in their dark corner. All eyes fell on them, eyes full of fear.

Malice knew that fear. At his first Fire Festival, many years ago, they had gotten loose and eaten some of the pirates. But King had put them down, backed up by Jack; beating them so badly that they coughed up their last meal; some of them still alive.

"Okay then!" He pointed towards another sky box. "Alright! Let's give it up for the people of Orochiii!"

(X)

Izuku was rubbing his ears, both from the endless noise of the stadium, and the roars of those giants that seemed to tower over even Gigantomachia...

He couldn't make out a word Queen was yelling. But he could feel his Danger Sense tingle as the Numbers gazed over the crowd. The pirates feared those things, and Izuku didn't blame them.

"-at should be the end of it!" Queen declared. "Now then! I-" Queen paused, a female pirate pointing at his leg.

"What now I-" Queen knelt down, hand to his ear as the dancer whispered a message.

"Hmm. Okay!" THe dancers fled the stage, and Queen stepped aside. "Now then, without further ado, let's get on with an important news announcement! Delivered from the man himself!"

The crowd roared their approval, Izuku squeezing his eyes shut against the nightmare cacophony. Why did people enjoy events like this?

"Here he comes" Yoichi said in his ear, as Izuku opened his eyes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxYSVyWHENQ

The doors behind the stage slid open. Izuku stared as an enormous figure marched out. He was tall as Queen, but broad, lean, and muscular, with a fur cape and long braided hair, his mouth hidden behind a metal mask.

It was Jack the Drought, just as Yamato had described him.

Behind him came another figure; this one just as tall, but not as broad. His entire body was covered in black leather, tied tight with heavy-looking belts. Black-feathered wings hung from his shoulders, and flames flickered around his neck. From behind his spiked mask, dark red eyes glowed.

"Lord King!" chanted the crowds, as he took his place to the right of the door, opposite Jack. "Lord King! Lord King!"

So that was King the Wildfire. Izuku had not quite believed Yamato's description. It seemed too extreme, too bizarre. Yet there he was.

The chanting stopped, as footsteps thundered from the door. Izuku stared, in horrified disbelief, as another shape stepped through the door.

"KAIDO! KAIDO! KAIDO! KAIDO! KAIDO!" roared the pirates.

He was enormous. A literal man-mountain, at least seven metres tall. His arms were thick with muscle, lined with scars, and emblazoned with dragon-scale tattoos. His horns were ivory-white, and long enough to impale a grown man. Midnight-black hair billowed down his back, matched by long and intricate moustachios, and a short, neatly-trimmed beard. He wore dark brown pants, held up by a heavy rope belt similar to Yamato's own, and boots heavy enough to crush a man's skull. Upon his right shoulder was an enormous spiked kanabo, an elder brother to Yamato's Takeru, longer than a Tokyo subway car.

Izuku could not think. He could not tear his eyes away. Never, not in all his years, in a world of wondrous quirks, had he seen anything quite like it.

And his form was as nothing compared to his eyes. Yellow slits, glaring out from under a heavy brow, the eyes of…no, not a predator. Greater than a predator. Worse than a predator.

Izuku shuddered, his stomach churning with an ancient, instinctive dread. This wasn't like All for One. Even he hadn't been like this. Even he, at his most dangerous, had never radiated such power, such inhumanity.

To look upon Kaido was to look upon one who was the master of his own destiny. Here was a man who knew that no one, not on the whole island, could threaten him. This was his island, his kingdom. This Onigashima, and the land of Wano beyond it. This place was his and his alone, and no one resided there except on his sufferance. He was a man who needed no one.

"So that's... Kaido..." Izuku murmured.

This was Kaido. This was the man he was about to cross.

This was Yamato's father.

As Kaido reached center-stage, another man scuttled out to join him. This one was much shorter even than the All-Stars, about half their height, with broad shoulders. He was not at all appealing; his face marred by a large underbite, his enormous head bald but for purple sideburns, decorated with a small, ill-fitting crown; one that did not match the elegant kimono he wore.

"And the Shogun," Yoichi confirmed. "Kurozumi Orochi."

So that was Orochi. There was the man who had conquered Wano with Kaido's help; the man Yamato had told him about. The man who had crushed his own homeland, enslaved its people, tore iron and coal from its land and poisoned its air and water; all to feed the war factories, that the Beast Pirates might have ships and weapons.

Kurozumi Orochi, a Shogun of nothing. Izuku was sure of that. There was no way a man like that could have inspired others, or led them to victory. Only by Kaido's power could he have succeeded; and only through Kaido's good graces could he rule.

He had ruled, by taking the throne that belonged to the Kozuki's, shooting it's patriarch dead in the oil pot, then his wife and and children in their own burning castle.

Just as Yamato had told him, with that terrible shame in her eyes.

Kaido raised his free hand, and the chants stopped. All was silent. The enormous hand fell, and Queen slipped his microphone into it.

Even he seemed afraid as he stepped aside.

"Today…a new era is born!"

Kaido's voice rolled over the cavern like an ocean wave. This was not Queen's crude shrieking, but true power; a voice that could command armies, and conquer nations.

"Today, is the turn of the tide! For on this night as we feast and celebrate the achievements of our efforts, a new power is rising! And I see the potential for that power…in all of you."

He scanned his narrow eyes over the crowd.

"Before we begin our days of celebration, a gift has befallen us. One earned by our efforts, our might, and our power!" He looked to the side, nudging his head. "For those newcomers to the Beast Pirates, I bid thee welcome to Onigashima."

"And I say eat my ass buddy." Daigoro grumbled in Izuku's head. A movement in the corner of his eye drew his attention, and he saw a group of female pirates pulling a cart across the stage. The top of the cart was covered with a white cloth.

"Thanks to our new business partner in the New World," Kaido declared, "we have acquired the power to break the stalemate. Big Mom, Shanks, Whitebeard, the Marines! None shall stand against us."

The cart was brought before Kaido, the women bowing in respect. The horned pirate lord acknowledged them with the briefest of nods, and they hurried away. Kaido grabbed the white cloth, and with a flourish pulled it away.

The crowd gasped in awe, as they saw what was sitting on the cart. The cart was piled with cushions, upon which sat ten large apples, their skin covered with a pattern of rings.

"Those are Devil Fruits! King really did grab them!"

"And we have ten!"

"But wait, why do they all look the same?"

"Yeah they're supposed to be different right?"

"This," Kaido held up one of the apples in his fingers, "is a SMILE. Now, for whoever shall consume this whole, a chance to receive its blessing. But be warned."

His voice became a growl.

"For you shall never swim again after consuming this artificial Devil Fruit, and the chances of you receiving its boons are low."

He fell silent, his words hanging in the air like a storm cloud. Izuku found himself wondering what would happen if the fruit's boons did not transfer.

It was not a pleasant thought.

"Who here will gamble with fate, for a power beyond their wildest dreams!?"

The crowd erupted into a frenzy, pressing forward towards the stage, arms thrust out to receive.

"Toss it to me!"

"Over here! Over here!"

"I want it!"

Izuku glanced about, amazed and horrified. Why would they take such a chance? What sort of power could be worth that risk?

Kadio took one of the fruits, and tossed it out into the crowd. The crowd closed in around it, clenching shut like some sea monster's mouth, as the pirates fought tooth and nail. Heedless, Kaido took another, and threw it out in turn, this time to a different area. Again and again he threw, each time to a different balcony or area of the floor. The seventh, the eighth, the ninth…

Kaido's eyes scanned over Izuku…and for a moment, they met. His green, and his slitted yellow.

He threw. Time seemed to slow down as fruit flew through the air towards him.

Izuku caught it, staggering back under the impact. It was large, about the size of a cantaloupe. It looked harmless, but he felt a tingle in his head, his Danger Sense…

He ducked, a clenched fist whistling over his head.

"Give me that!" snarled the pirate whose fist it was. Izuku dropped it and fell to the floor, scurrying away as the pirates started fighting over it. He pulled himself up on the railing, and watched as the pirates tore at eachother like wild animals, grabbing and pulling at the fruit.

Finally, the gruff pirate from before managed to bite into it. His eyes shone with a strange light as he tore at the fruit, biting and biting like a man possessed.

"Damnit!"

"Fuck I wanted it!"

The crowd dispersed, grumbling and muttering. Gruff kept on eating, grinning from ear to ear as he swallowed more and more of the fruit.

Then he gagged, the core dropping from his hands as he clutched at his chest, staggering towards Izuku.

"H-Hey! Are you okay!" asked Izuku, in reflex. The older man slumped to his knees, coughing and spluttering. His hands grabbed at his shoulders, his bald head slumped.

And then rose, his face split into a wide, manic grin, eyes wide and bloodshot. He burst out laughing.

"Hehehhee…HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What… what is this?!" the man shrieked through his laughter, and more coughing. "Why aren't I transforming?! Why is nothing happening?!"

The laugh was not natural. It wasn't like any laugh Izuku had ever heard. It was pained, forced. His face was a mask of faux-glee, but Izuku could see his eyes, and what was really there.

Fear. Hopelessness. Despair.

And the laughter. Izuku could hear it all around him. He looked, and saw the crowd parting, gaps opening up as the pirates backed away from those who had eaten the fruits. They were writhing in agony, shrieking with that same crazed laughter.

"So that's why they're called SMILES…" Nana said in his head, and Izuku gulped. Before him, Gruff brought his hands to his face.

"T-That means I lost my chance!? I can never swim again?! Hahahahahaha! What kind of sick joke is this man?! I never did anything wrong or anything! Hehehehehehe!"

The man threw back his head, and shrieked with gut-wrenching laughter. Tears ran down his face.

"WHY HAHAHAHA! WHY CAN'T I-Kehehehehehe…stop… LAUGHING HAHAHAHAHAHAA! MY FACE HURTS! I'M SMILING SO MUUUHAHAHAHAHAHA! SO! SO MUCH! THAT IT HURTSHEHEHEHEHE! IT HUUUUURTS~!"

Izuku's heart ached for him, for all of them. True he was a pirate, and there was no telling what he had done. But he didn't deserve…that. This… for the rest of his days.

And up on the stage, Kaido stared down at them, with a look of mild disappointment.

Izuku gripped the railing, his anguish turning into rage. These were his men, who revered and trusted him. Yet he…

"This is how…you treat them!?" he snarled under his breath, glaring at Kaido.

"Hey!" Queen barked over a new microphone. "Anyone of you able to transform yet! Or you all a bunch of duds!"

"There." King spoke for the first time, pointing to the upper level. Kaido followed his arm, his eyes fixed on a man staggering to the front by the railing, on a higher-level pagoda. He was tall and broad-shouldered, with pink gear tattoos with the letter "C" on them, and long wavy brown hair.

Izuku gaped at the sight. The man's stomach was now the head and forelegs of a lion, the head roaring, the paws swiping at anyone who got too close. The man struggled to control his new appendage, as the pirates around him looked on, faces alight with horror.

"You there!" Kaido bellowed, glaring at the man. The lion-stomach-head-thing seemed to have froze up as well. "What's your name?"

"H-Holdem! My name is Holdem sir! I serve in Wano as a Sheriff in Bakura Town, Lord Kaido sir!"

Kaido looked around once again, taking in the nine sufferers, and the one survivor.

"One in ten… as expected I suppose."

(X)

"One in ten! Father…when I thought you couldn't get any lower!"

Through her latest peephole, Yamato stared down at the crowd, at the nightmare playing out before her.

Never, not in her darkest moments, had she imagined such a thing. Never, not even when he burned Kozuki castle, had she thought him capable of this. His own pirates…

She shook her head, forcing herself to focus. There was nothing she could do about it, not now. She had to find Izuku, and get on with the plan.

Her eyes moved from pagoda to pagoda, searching for that familiar mop of green hair, those bright eyes. Her gaze fell momentarily on the lone victor, the one with a lion erupting from his stomach, and then to the side.

There he was! Izuku! And still unharmed!

(X)

"So that's what King brought…"

From his vantage point among the rafters, Malice watched with renewed interest. They really were Devil Fruits, but artificial, and nowhere near as powerful as the legitimate article.

He looked down at his own hand. His claws were out, the scales forming. He had to will his heart to slow, to force his power to recede, the claws turning back into fingernails.

Kaido had always wanted to do this; or so Sasaki and Who's Who had told him. An entire crew of Zoan users; an army of supernatural warriors. Considering what he and his fellow Flying Six could do, not to mention the All Stars, the proof was in the pudding.

"Now! Holdem! You shall become the first Gifter among the Beast Pirates! You who have been blessed by fortune to earn the SMILE's gift!" Kaido bellowed. "The rest of you, laughing mad from the Fruit's curse! You shall be the first of the Pleasures!"

Gifters and Pleasures? To be condemned to laugh without ceasing, a face full of pleasure, hiding a heart in agony. A cruel joke, that.

"And for the rest of you, all who do not possess a Devil Fruit ability. Henceforth!" Kaido tapped his kanabo, the mighty spiked club Hassaikai, on the ground. "You shall be the Waiters! For you shall wait for your chance at a SMILE, and the power it brings! Who else here wishes for the chance for power!?"

He held out his hand.

"Will you remain powerless and weak!? Or will you take the chance, and aim for greater heights!?"

The crowd roared their approval, and Malice smirked. He could see Kaido's intent. The Pleasures alone would be terrifying to behold; an army of laughing berserkers, despairing of life. And those who attained Zoan powers would be a force to be reckoned with unto themselves. Such a power would not be resisted easily. More and more captains would bow to Kaido's will, and become Headliners; rather than face such a nightmare in battle.

Yes, Kaido had meant what he said. This would alter the balance of power in the New World. This would allow the Beast Pirates to overrun Red-Hair Shanks' miniscule posse, and Big Mom's meddlesome fleet, and those weak and lethargic Whitebeards.

Malice's teeth lengthened, his canines growing into sharp fangs.

"Mariejois will soil themselves in fear," he whispered, chuckling to himself.

"Good! Our business partner will provide us with twenty of these SMILEs a month, and more to come later!" bellowed Kaido. "In the meantime, I give the floor to our patron, Kurozumi Orochi, Shogun of Wano, who has a special presentation for you all!"

He stepped aside, his left hand brushing his trouser pocket as he handed the microphone down to his ally.

Malice rolled his eyes. Orochi, the disheveled toad that thought itself a cunning serpent.

"Ahem!" began Orochi, sending a shriek of feedback through the speakers. Malice flinched at the noise, but then lost interest as the unsightly shogun began to speak. He had no intention of taking part in the festival; only in making sure it ran smoothly, for Kaido's sake. He would not allow any…

Then he paused, as his eyes fell on something familiar. On one of the pagodas, right by the handrail. It was that young man from before, the one with the green hair. Malice pulled out his eyeglass, and took a closer look.

Yes, it was certainly him. That scarred, muscular body, and that freckle-cheeked face that didn't match it at all.

Those eyes didn't match either. Those were not the innocent eyes of a young boy, a youth on the cusp of manhood. There was a look in them, a look he knew only too well.

It was the look of baleful rage that had been in his own eyes, when he saw the Celestial Dragons for the first time. It was a look aimed at the stage, and those on it.

"Hmmm…"

(X)

"Well, it is as Kaido says." Orochi said. "More Devil Fruits are coming, and best of all, there will be special fighting tournaments held around Onigashima if any of you wish to prove yourself in battle! After all, it is one in ten! Not Zero!"

The shogun paused, amid the cheers of the crowd.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4K69gXQHNg

"But, that's enough of that! For now…" His face morphed into a dark and cruel smile. "Before we begin tonight's facilities, here's something that'll get your blood pumping! Bring in the prisoners!"

Izuku's heart stopped, as a group of pirates pushed four crucifixes onto the stage. Tied to them were three men and one woman, clad in traditional Japanese garb; beaten, bruised, and clearly starved.

"These four!" Orochi declared. "have been tied to an underground cell, pledged to carry on the ideals of the false shogun, Kozuki Oden, the dancing fool!"

He barked a laugh, and the crowd joined in.

"The charges are simple! Theft! Assault! And high treason to the Shogunate!"

His wide mouth split into a cruel grin.

"But I am a generous lord! A lord of the people! And so I bring these four here, on these charges, for the verdict!"

He held out his hand, and a robed man appeared, seemingly out of nowhere. He had a bald head and long earlobes, and he was carrying a spear.

Kaido regarded Orochi with thinly-veiled contempt. King and Jack did the same, while Queen just looked bored.

"I ask of thee! A jury among their peers! How do you plead!" he called out, taking the spear from his strange companion. He smirked, and Izuku's heart clenched.

"Midoriya you can't." Yoichi asserted in his ear.

"Don't do it kid." Daigoro spoke.

"But they're-"

"GUILTY!" roared the audience.

Izuku had never felt so small. He wanted to go up there and save them. He had to! He needed to!

And yet… This wasn't back home, in a modern society and a modern world. With modern sensibilities…

This was a world of pirates.

And this was their era… their world.

"How do you plead!" Orochi asked again, hands to his ear, relishing the moment with an ear to grin grin.

"GUILTY!"

"Rip off," Queen muttered under his breath.

The railing began to crack, as Izuku's fists clenched.

"You have to calm down!" Nana barked in his ear. "You go up there, you're dead!"

"But they…. but they…!" Izuku whispered, squeezing his eyes shut.

"GUILTY!"

"Guilty it is!" Orochi laughed, turning towards the four as Izuku opened his eyes. "As rightful Shogun of Wano! I sentence thee to death!"

He leered, aiming for the first man with his spear in hand. The railing warped and cracked as Izuku clenched harder and harder. Around him the crowd cheered, baying for blood, heedless of his rage.

"KILL THEM! KILL THEM! KILL THEM! KILL THEM!" they chanted.

"Midoriya." Hikage hissed. "They were dead the moment they stepped foot on this island."

Izuku caught his breath, as he saw Orochi thrust…

The spear stopped, as Kaido's enormous hand closed around it, tearing it away. Orochi stumbled back in shock, as Kaido glared down at him, and threw the spear away.

"H-Hey! What's the big idea!" Orochi yelled, enraged pointing at the horned mountain. "You said I can bring these four to be executed!"

The bald ear-lobe man was standing beside his master, gazing up at the Emperor of the Sea.

"I did say so, yes," replied Kaido, glaring at the condemned, and at the crowd. "But I'm not going to dirty my floor with the blood of these wretches."

He stepped forward, and grabbed one of the crucifixes, lifting one up so easily.

"You want to rile up my pirates, Orochi? This is how!"

He glared down, making Orochi shrink away. Izuku felt a moment of hope. Might he not allow it? Might he save them?"

His eyes fell on a distant place. Izuku followed his gaze, and his heart sank.

"No…"

"NUMBERS!" Kaido bellowed, and the giants all perked up, their red eyes gazing from the shadows at their leader, like a pack of dogs being called to by their master.

"HAVE A SNACK!"

He then threw the crucifix like a frisbee, its occupant screaming as he spun towards the corner. The entire stadium roared in bloodthirsty glee, their cheering louder and louder as Kaido grabbed crucifix after crucifix, and threw them after the first.

"STOP IIIIT!" Izuku yelled, screaming at the top of his lungs. But his cry was drowned out, lost in the cheers of the pirates. His Danger Sense was screaming at him to do something, to save them. But all he could see was those terrible shadows, as the crucifixes spun into their midst.

THe first was caught, the monster stuffing it into its mouth and biting down. The second was caught and eaten whole. The third, the last man, was grabbed in one hand and bitten in half like a biscuit. The last, the woman, was caught by two giants at once. The crowd laughed and cheered as they yanked and pulled, fighting over their prey like two enormous, demonic hounds.

Then, mercifully, the wood split into two; the two parts vanishing into the beasts maws.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=numsyPJoDZs

Izuku could only stare, tears running down his face, his heart crushed. Eyes wide as plates and mouth agog as the world around him was loud with thunderous bloodthirsty cheer and glee.

How could they do it? How could they enjoy something like this? How could they be so cruel?

Kaido…

H felt something bubble within him.

"God… damn… you…!"

He slumped down behind the railing, teeth bared, eyes fixed on the horned monster on the stage, the devil presiding over this foretelling of hell on earth.

He had only been angry like this once before. So angry that he had actually killed.

Kill.

He had to kill.

Kaido needed to die.

If he can get Fa Jin charged…

"You go up there, you can't save Yamato!" Yoichi barked inside his mind, freezing his rage.

"Midoriya… I know you want to save everyone… but you can't do that… not right now" Nana whispered. He could feel the phantom embrace from her, her voice in his ear. "Save what you can…. And then later…avenge them, and bring these monsters to justice."

"You can still save Yamato. Hold onto that, at the least…" Daigoro spoke, his normally gruff voice soft, sympathetic.

Izuku gasped for breath, as he tried to control himself, the words of his predecessors like a cold water dousing over him as he slumped to his knees, looking down at the ground.

He couldn't save them. He called himself a hero, yet he couldn't save them! He had failed again!

But…Yamato…

"Now then! We shall begin the festivities!" Kaido roared, hoisting his Kanabo into the air. "The other ten SMILEs are around the Skull Dome! For each SMILE, a tournament! Winner claims the Fruit, and the rest is fate!"

"The Headliners are in charge," added King. "Follow the signs to the tournament locations."

"And with that…" Kaido's face split into a grin. "Let the Golden Festival begin! Drink! Eat! Frolick the nights away! WORORORORORO~!"

"And the Red Light Distriiiiiict...!" Queen added, posing with both arms pointing to the sides and downward, towards the doors beside Kaido's Castle, "...is now open!"

The entire crowd roared, and began to move; going for the doors. Izuku rose back up to his feet, eyes to the ground as he looked from one to the other of the doors.

He had to make it there. Somehow.

Some of the pirates were leaping down to the lower levels. Izuku did likewise, landing on the pagoda below. He glanced at the stage, and saw Orochi talking with the bald man again, and sending Kaido a sideways glare. Kaido smirked at the crowd, then turned and strode back through the door, followed by the All-Stars.

Izuku dropped down again, landing on the floor. Keeping his face as straight and stoic as possible, even as his teeth were grit and his heart ached.

(X)

"You…" Malice mused as he followed the green haired boy atop the rafters high above the Live Floor. "...are not from here, are you?"

Yes. He dressed like a Beast Pirate, but he didn't act like one. He could understand the youth being shocked; the whole thing had been a surprise to him too. But he had never expected a reaction like that.

So what was he? A Cipher Pol agent? No, they were as cold as the ocean depths; no waterworks or death-glares from them. A spy from another Emperor's crew maybe? He had the body of a pirate if nothing else. Or were the Marines getting into the espionage game these days?

Or maybe he was one of those Kozuki loyalists? Had he just seen his comrades fed to the Numbers? The reaction was about right.

Either way… he would have to have a little…talk with this youth.

He stood up, tapping the ledge. Time to go down and..

"Hey look! It's Spiteful Malicious!"

Malice jumped, and glanced around. The call had come from two pirates on a nearby causeway; clad in janitorial garb, and with rum bottles in their hands.

"Whatcha doin' all the way up here huh?" slurred the fat one. There was always a fat one.

"None of your business whelps! Get back to work!" Malice hissed, looking back into his eyeglass. But there was no sign of the youth! He had vanished into the crowd!

His teeth clenched. He cursed himself, even as the pirates laughed and chugged their booze.

He had him! He had him right there!

He could tell King, but what good would that do? King wasn't bad by All-Stars standards, but he would get the credit regardless. His shot at glory would be gone.

He clenched his fists, his claws pricking his palms. He had lost him! A moment's distraction, and his big chance had vanished among the horde below. Those wretched pirates, off to gorge themselves on the finest food and liquor, to fight each other for those faulty fruits, or heading down to the Red Light District to frolick with the geishas.

Beasts. Beast Pirates indeed. Wretched, lustful, cruel…

He turned towards the two pirates who had disturbed him. They were drinking from their rum bottles, and laughing at some pointless joke.

He bared his teeth, the canines lengthening into fangs. He flexed his fingers, the nails now long claws. He could feel his body changing, as the power within him rose. It was a good pain.

And no one would miss those two pathetic louts.

(X)

"Okay there he goes… north side door," Yamato mused to herself, as she watched Izuku move.

"Now, I must get ready too!"

She grinned, and stood up, hurrying down the dark corridor. Her grin faded, as she remembered the look on Izuku's face.

"Please… stay strong Izuku! I know you can do it!"

(X)

Izuku managed to break away from the crowd, stepping into a public bathroom. Keeping his face straight, he stepped into the first stall he could find, shut the door, and locked it.

He sat down on the toilet seat, and brought his hands to his face. He breathed in and out, trying to control his wounded, fearful heart. To hold back panicked breath.

Never, not in his darkest nightmares, had he imagined anything like this. He had thought what had happened to Eri was bad; but she was just one girl, kept prisoner by ruthless gangsters who exploited her quirk and crushed her spirit.

Here, there was thousands of slaves. Adults and children, men and women, people of all kinds. Slaves, collared like livestock, with collars of the same make as Yamato's cuffs, toiling under the lash of their cruel masters. And that's on Onigashima. Wano has to be worse…

These people…no, not people. Animals…no, that was an insult to animals.

Beasts.

Beasts in every way. Beasts who wanted only power, and the right to abuse it as they pleased. Even if it cost them their bodies, their sanity, their very lives.

He had thought All for One was evil. But he had only been a bogeyman, hiding in the shadows, doing his wickedness by stealth.

Kaido was not like him. Kaido was a thousand times more, a thousand times worse. He was an apex predator, the one true king of this kingdom of beasts.

Even so…

"I couldn't save them…" he whimpered. He hadn't seen their faces, and he didn't know their names. But they had died on his watch, while he had done nothing.

World's greatest hero… what a joke.

"Midoriya." Nana again. "You must remain strong. For Yamato's sake."

"I know" he replied. Then his heart skipped a beat, as he heard voices and footsteps outside.

"Dude did you see those poor fuckers get eaten by the Numbers?!"

"No I was on the other side. Did you?"

"Oh yeah! The woman was alive and well, you should have heard her scream!"

Laughter.

"Oh man wish I could have seen it! Did you see her innards or anything!"

"Yeah! On Hacha's nostril no less!" A giggle. "You should have seen him try to lick his nose with his tongue!" And they laughed.

Izuku gripped his fists as he sat on the toilet, grinding his teeth as he tried to push down his anger. He wanted to go out there and beat those callous villains to within an inch of their lives; to give them a small taste of the pain that had been their entertainment.

No! He had to keep a low profile! He had to! He couldn't let Yamato down!

"You are a hero," said En. "If you can't save everyone… save who you can."

Save who you can…

Izuku took a deep breath, staring down at the floor. He waited until the pirates were gone, then left the stall and headed for the nearest basin. He splashed some cold water on his face, then looked into the mirror.

Save who you can…

The meaning was like an anathema… and yet, En was right. He has no choice.

Still…

"Will I… be able to save everyone…?" he muttered. He almost jumped, as Yoichi and Nana appeared in the mirror behind him. He still wasn't quite used to that.

"You will. I know you will." Yoichi said. "If there is anyone who can do it, it's you, Midoriya."

The silver-haired man put a hand on his shoulder. Izuku could fel it.

"You must get stronger first." Nana added. "As you are now… we cannot face Kaido. But if you become strong… with Yamato, then perhaps a chance down the road."

Stronger…

"I must go further beyond, huh," Izuku mused, chuckling ruefully. He looked at his hand, and then clenched it. "I was able to defeat All for One at fifty percent… yet I felt like All Might in my battle against him."

"Indeed. Your power is far greater than Toshinori's was," Nana said. "If his one hundred percent is your fifty…"

"Then you will double his power," added the Second User, whose name Izuku still did not know. He reminded him of Kacchan a little in appearance. "Or perhaps your power can be squared."

"Squared?" Izuku mused, blinking.

"Correct," the Second User replied. "You must become stronger, master One for All. Use whatever means to do so, and then when you're ready…"

"You will overtake this Demon King."
Yoichi smiled softly. "And you will not be alone."

"Literally and… ummm…"
Daigoro paused. "Metaphorically is the word I'm looking for right? Since like, Midoriya is gonna need allies in the living world and not just us."

"He already has one.
" Nana giggled lightly with a smile. "And she's a tough one. I like her."

Izuku took a deep breath, washing his face once more. The deaths of those four would haunt him, but…

'Even if I couldn't save them… I can save Yamato.' Izuku thought, taking a towel to dry off as he walked towards the door. He parted to the side, as some pirates bolted in.

"Don't get in her way!" warned a muscular man.

"Yeah I don't wanna cross her!" a slim, gaunt-looking pirate replied.

Izuku hurried outside, wondering what they meant. Were they talking about Yamato? Had she arrived?

He forced himself not to smile as he strode along the hall. Some pirates scurried about, seemingly getting out of someone's way. He paid it no mind. It had to be Yamato. It was…

He rounded the corner, and talked straight into two very large, very soft pillows. He stopped, so suddenly that he fell over backward, a surprised feminine "oh!" coming out.

"Oh, sorry about that Ya-"

Izuku paused, looking up at whom he bumped into. He felt his Danger Sense starting to simmer.

Standing before him was not Yamato. She was shorter than Yamato, with a light-blue and white-stripe dress to go along with a blue cape. She had a decent figure, and a head of blue hair with pink highlights, reminding him of Hatsume Mei. Her lower face was covered by a soft pink mask. Her pink eyes regard him with…curiosity? She looked a bit older than him too.

"Who do you think you are, ya little shit!" growled the boy beside her of matching height. His costume was similar to the girl's, but in white and green; complete with a horned cap. Izuku's danger sense tingled all the harder.

"You think you can cope a feel of my big sister and get away with it huh?! Punkass!?" he growled, his voice deep, his eyes slitted. The Sense began to lightly boil…

Oh no…

Lower face masks. Brother and Sister.

They were Ulti and Page One! Two of the Flying Six!

And one of them looked ready to kill him.

Well, Izuku's luck has not improved...
So timeline wise we are a few years before canon starts? Good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back