1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Something To Atone For. BtVS/AtS, Doyle SI.

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Flightless Man, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Threadmarks: Chapter 1: Achoo
    Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Something To Atone For

A Doyle self insert who at first plans to find the safest city he can move to, only for guilt to begin pilling up. Those migraine inducing visions, really make it hard to avoid the call to adventure. Taking advantage of Doyle’s teaching degree, the SI ends up getting involved in season one of Buffy.

Chapter 1: Achoo
    Groaning as I stretch myself awake, the hangover is quick to catch up with me. Only getting a few seconds of clarity to glance around the trashed apartment, I realize quickly that this is not my apartment. Definitely not my couch.

I’m not the cleanest person, but this place looks like it’s been through a couple spring breaks. The stench of whisky and the faint aroma of vomit churn my stomach right as the headache strikes.

Dragging myself along the floor by instinct not my own, I spend at least an hour curled up around the toilet. When I finally manage to wipe my face and stagger to my feet, the face in the mirror is enough to send me right back to the floor. What the hell is going on?

Coughing as I pull myself up one more time, I manage to face the stranger’s face. The nearly black hair hair isn’t that big of a change, only cut a lot shorter than it’s been in a few years. The blue-grey eyes are the big shock and get me to turn the sink in a hurry.

No matter how many times I splash the slightly brown water against my face, the reflection doesn’t fix itself. Why do I look so familiar?

While I try not to devolve into gibbering panic at what seems to be a Face Off kind of situation, Ifeel a pressure building up in my nostrils. The mighty sneeze I let loose, is more than enough to answer most of my questions.

My skin is suddenly an avocado green and covered with with inch long spikes. Blood red irises almost glow back at me in the dim light, making it sink in whose body I’m in.

When I stop screaming, I take a closer look at the demonic face. Pricking my finger on one of the spines. draws both pain and blood. As I confirm this isn’t just some terrible nightmare, the true danger of my situation starts sinking in.

“Impossible...” With shaking hands i reach for the bulge in my jeans and pull out an old wallet. The Irish accent is overlooked in my current shock.

I flip open the cracked brown leather and slide out the driver’s licence it contains. The man is a perfect match for who I saw in the mirror before the sneeze.

“Allen Francis Doyle.” The name comes out accompanied by some nervous laughter and I know I’m completely screwed.

I’m not sure how it happened and I’m almost too terrified of the answer to find out who was responsible. But I know how much danger I’m in just living in Los Angeles.

“I need to get the hell out of town.” Grunting as the beginning of a plan starts to form, I leave the bathroom with a mission.

It doesn’t take long to find a stack of Doyle’s bills and I can only stare in disbelief at the most current date. “September seventeenth, nineteen ninety six. I think this is still before the movie...”

“I just write a few letters to the Scoobies anonymously and find some quiet little town to hide out in.” It’s not like every town in the world is a secret death trap. I just need to find one with a low fatality rate and keep my head down.

Having a goal, is just enough to get me moving again. But it’s not the front door I go to.

While I try to control my frantic breathing, my shaking legs bring me to the answering machine. The flashing red light lets me know it has at least one message waiting and my trembling finger presses the play button.

“I can’t do this anymore Francis.” A woman’s voice sounds like it’s trying hard not to cry.

Harriet. The name flashes from the depths of my memories and groan at the reminder Doyle had a wife.

“I love you. But you just want to wallow in your misery...” Harriet pauses long enough that I think the message is over. “I can’t watch you drink yourself to death anymore.”

Glancing at the empty bottles on the coffee table and the spilled bottle of sleeping pills. I understand exactly why I needed to brush my teeth so many times.

At least I don’t need to feel guilty about stealing someone’s life. Seems like this version of Doyle... gave his up.

“I’m staying at my mothers. Don’t come here unless you’re ready to be happy again.” Harriet starts to cry as the message ends, the next one beginning automatically.

“This is a whole lot to take in...” The words I mutter, do very little to truly encompass my situation.

“This is Hemery High, looking for an Allen Doyle.” The voice of another woman fills my apartment, this one with a far more nasal tone. “We need an English teacher and you’re next on the call sheet.” She pauses as she checks her paperwork. “Both the nineteenth and twentieth of this month.”

That’s this Thursday and Friday. I confirm with a glance at the calendar on the fridge and note it’s only two days away. Might be a good idea to put some more money in the bank before I go on the run.

Walking towards the whisky bottle on the coffee table, I hesitate right before wrapping my fingers around it. Good thing I was always a rum man, or this would be really tempting.

It’s around eleven in the morning when I dump the bottle out in the sink and start cleaning the place up. It’s only a one bedroom place and more just cluttered than actually dirty. Except for the vomit behind the couch, that was foul.

When I finally finish and drop the washcloth in the trash, it’s not even three in the afternoon. Should be clean enough to get my damage deposit back.

Over the next few hours, I pay off the many bills pilled on the counter. Wincing with each check I sign, I decide it’s probably fine to accept the Hemery job.

I’m pretty sure the movie takes place in October. I should be safe from getting pulled into the action... At least as long as I’m out of the city by the end of the month.

Once I call back and accept the job, I spend the rest of my evening cleaning myself. It takes four showers before I stop reeking and I curse the Brachen sense of smell.

The next day is spent filling my fridge with food that isn’t rotten and washing my clothes. I even remember to grab a few things for the students.

Doyle’s style wasn’t too far off from my own, with only the leather jacket being a no go. I just hate how sticky they feel when I start sweating and that’s going to happen a whole lot in California.

When Wednesday morning comes around and I arrive at Hemery High, I could swear I see Angel and Whistler across the street. It’s just for a fraction of a second and both men vanished in the time it took me to blink. So I can’t be sure if it was real or only my own paranoia.

The morning is easier than I expected and I’m relieved I was already working towards earning my own teaching degree. I might have been focusing on history. But I know exactly how much the kids are going to pay attention to a sub.

When the lunch bell rings and I get my first tenth graders, I freeze at the sight of Buffy Summers on the attendance sheet. She seems completely relaxed and that is enough for me to continue calling out names.

She’s way too calm to have been Called already, which means I don’t need to panic yet. Taking a deep breath, I introduce myself to the class.

“None of you want to waste the day learning something the actual teacher is just going to repeat when she gets back.” I grin at the suddenly interested eyes being directed at me. “So who wants to play a game instead today?”

The bag of assorted Halloween candy I pull out from behind my desk, gets the interest turned into absolute attention. “Do I need to explain the rules of Jeopardy to anyone?”

A few hands go up, only to drop back down once their neighbours fill them in in the time it takes me to set up the projector. Even Buffy gets an answer correct by the end of the day and accepts her gum with a smirk.

Nothing terrible happens for the rest of the day and I’m able to use to library to find a few possible towns to move to. Seems like anything off the tourist path is instantly safer.

The students actually seem excited when they file into my classroom on Friday, giving me a boost of sorely needed confidence. Bribing them with candy works just as well the second time and I can’t help but let my eyes drift to Buffy. Can’t believe how much she changes, she really is twice as bad as Cordelia ever was.

When I arrive back at my apartment, I finish packing my suitcases. Clothes and anything that seems like it would be more expensive to replace is all I stuff into them, with the wedding ring only staying on my hand due to forgetfulness.

“Should probably call Harriet and let her know she can have the place back.” Despite knowing it’s the right thing to do, I put the phone down without making the call. I don’t want her thinking Doyle is getting his shit together.

Too tired to drive tonight, I decide to get a fresh start in the morning. Except when I’m halfway to the bedroom, the buzzer announces someone wants to talk to me.

Dread suddenly fills me as I slowly approach the intercom and press the button to talk. “Who is it?”

“Lucas.” The man who answers is frantic. “I’m a cousin on your mother’s side and I really need to talk to you!”

“I’ll buzz you inside.” I’m careful not to give an actual invitation, suddenly very worried the vampires are here to greet me.

Opening the door to Lucas rushing into my apartment, quickly proves he’s not a possessed corpse. “Thanks for not chasing me off. I have no one else I can turn to.”

The words and desperation they are said with, pulls on my heartstrings. But his terror when describing the Scourge is contagious and stops me from getting involved. Could also be the fact that I know how big of an army they have and how brutal they are to people like me.

“Look Lucas...” I interrupt him with guilt dripping from my voice. “I’ve already got a lot on my own plate and to be honest, I really have no idea what you expect me to be able to do. I’m not champion.”

“But we have no one else to turn to!” The raw terror isn’t enough to make me overcome my own desire to stay out of trouble.

“Who told you I was anything more than a coward?” I cross my arms and make my position clear.

Lucas growls, his face distorting as the Brachen half of him is revealed. “They’re going to come for you eventually you know.” He doesn’t fight, instead leaving me with some foreboding words. “I hope you get just as many rejections as my family has.”

When my door slams shut, I take a seat at the kitchen table. My mind races with guilt, doubt, and a dozen other emotions that do nothing but make me feel worse.

Despite how tired I was before Lucas’ visit, I find myself wide awake well past midnight. I do nothing but pick at my fingers and chew on my lips, drawing blood from both before too long.

“I couldn’t have done anything by myself.” Trying to reassure myself for the hundredth time, I fail once more to make the shame leave me.

Sudden pain fills my skull and at first I think someone struck me from behind. But as my sight is replaced by a vision of Lucas and his family, it takes everything in me to stay upright.

The Scourge pour onto the boat being used to hide the family I turned away, each one of the monsters in matching grey uniforms. I’m forced to witness a brutal massacre and nothing I do makes the scene stop.

Every innocent on board is killed before my sight is restored. When it finally is, I’m left sweaty and shaking in my dark kitchen.

“What have I done?” Guilt builds inside of me and sends me running to the bathroom to empty my stomach.​

Skybrain, Dimarash, Darkban and 52 others like this.
  2. ThedudeManBro

ThedudeManBro The Dudeliest Man on the block, Bro!

I dunno who Doyle is, but he sounds dissapointing and probably the sidekick of the hero in a failed spin-off series.

3. Gindjurra

Gindjurra Versed in the lewd.

Given how prevalent vampires and other demons are in that world, there’s really only two types of town that would be like that - the ones that are all peaceful demons with no humans, and the ones that have something truly nasty standing guard over them and killing any demon that sets foot in the town.

The problems for a Brachen in the latter sort of town are obvious, and the former would draw in The Scourge like nothing else on the planet.

5 seasons isn’t a failed series.

4. ArcanaVitae

ArcanaVitae I trust you know where the happy button is?

Cool idea, happy to see another fic from you.

Flightless Man likes this.
  5. Flightless Man

He was in the first 8 episodes of the Angel spin off. Ironically, he ended up getting killed off, because by episode 2 they realised the actor was also a leading man. He was to much like David Boreanaz and was told they had to kill his character off like a hero. Which worked out, because the creator had always wanted to kill off a character early on in a series and also have them appear in the opening credits.

They aren't that prevalent, the main characters are just in the hotspots of activity. Go to smaller towns that don't get a whole bunch of tourists and the death rates (should) drop off quite a bit. Some towns will have higher rate of "animal" attacks. But those under 10k people places make it really hard to cover up many strange deaths.

I agree, metrics indicate 2nd season cancellation is a failure. 3rd season is a standard place to end shows. Getting 5, makes you at least a cult hit.

Thanks, I needed something with a darker tone and felt I owed it to the fandom after being a fan since S2 first aired.

Blas, Mingo, SirDawg and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mingo

Mingo Son of a Hazmot

I am so fucking happy right now! We need more Buffy SIs and I really like the concept and execution so far. Watched!

KonradC and Flightless Man like this.
  7. Threadmarks: Chapter 2: Gunns Don't Kill People
    Flightless Man

Chapter 2: Gunns Don’t Kill People
    By the time I drove down to the docks, the Scourge have cleared out. The aroma of a very nickel heavy blood reaches my nose, even over the scent of the ocean.

I know Angel said Brachens are pretty much bloodhound demons in one episode. But if a vampires enhanced senses are comparable to my own sense of smell, it makes a whole lot of sense why they aren’t using guns. The smell of gunpowder would mask the human prey and the sound would leave them with a vision class headache.

Lifting the hatch reveals the carnage below deck and I end up emptying my stomach into the bay. The guilt that courses through me, wars with my common sense. I saw at least a dozen uniformed demons in my vision and I still have no idea how strong I actually am.

If the Powers That Be actually wanted me to do something, I would have needed weeks to plan something with even a chance of working.

With how fast the attack took place, I would have been one of the bodies if I came. But I could have let them stay at my place.

Would have been a lot harder for the Scourge to just march through my neighbourhood. And that reality is what gets my guilt to settle down.

“I can’t just forget this kind of thing.” My fists tighten around the railing as I get my churning stomach under control.

Even if I wanted to, the Scourge wants every drop of humanity gone. They would come for me eventually, or my children if I manage to hide.

Deciding to clear the scene of a multiple homicide before the cops show up, I make a beeline for the beat up Corolla. Pretty sure that Doyle has had that thing since he was in high school.

Not wanting to be alone with my grim thoughts tonight, I pull to a stop outside the first bar that doesn’t look like an obvious demon den. The fact that it’s a gay bar doesn’t bother me. Only overpriced drinks will have me turning right around after what I witnessed.

It’s hard for a show to get get across exactly what a vision is like. It wasn’t like seeing it on screen, I felt the Scourge tear Lucas apart. I lived through his terror and grief as he died and it was a very painful minute.

Watching Lucas’ entire family die around me and hearing the screams drown out anything else. That left me with only two simple choices. Give up on life in the face of insurmountable evil, or avenge every single person the Scourge have killed.

Knowing how they are beaten in the show, gives me enough hope that I can fool myself. Suicidal most likely. But probably not impossible.

My sour mood keeps pretty much everyone away, with only the bartender and a few brave men bothering to approach the brooding loner. I turn each invitation down as gracefully as I can, with each guy understanding once I explain. Telling them I’m just trying to get over a recent death with the sound of people talking, is enough to take any possible sting away from the rejection.

When last call comes, I’ve barely managed to overcome my demonic resilience. If I was still in my old body, I would have been on the floor six drinks ago.

No wonder Doyle was always coherent in the show. And that realization, impresses me more than it really should. He really was committed to keeping himself numb.

Not even bothering to pull out the keys to my beat up Toyota, I drop a couple dollars worth of quarters in the meter instead. I’ll grab some breakfast and walk of the buzz. The world’s already dangerous enough without me adding even more human stupidity to it.

The crowd clears the street fast enough that I pick up on the strawberry blond meat head trying to follow discreetly. Really glad this is before the days of body spray.

Though will that end up lowering the teenage male body count in a few years? I know I wouldn’t want to bite into someone that reeks like Axe.

The ponytail and black leather vest are straight out of the eighties. But I’m still shocked at his lack of reflection in the store windows and have to make my shocked stumble look like a drunken stagger.

Of course this just makes my stalker feel confident enough to act. “You doing alright? I saw how much you had to drink.”

If I didn’t know his true intentions with me, I could very easily be convinced by the genuine sounding tone. But since I know I’m only a Slurpee to the vampire, I decide to treat him like the other kind of bear.

Stopping in front of an alley, I try to put a nonchalant look onto my face when I confront the demon. “You’re really wasting both our time with this. Unless you like your blood tasting like spoiled milk of course.”

“How did you know?” The vampire’s face contorts into confused astonishment as he tries to process my knowledge.

“How new are you to the whole unlife thing?” Forcing myself to smirk, I can only hope the rum is masking the scent of my overwhelming terror.

Blinking a few times, the blonde eventually answers with a creased brow. “Second month last Monday.”

“And do you really think it’s just vampires walking around?” My eyes go blood red and my skin reverts to it’s Brachen green.

The blue spines bursting out of my flesh is what really hammer the point home and I allow myself to revel in the moment. Turning my own terror back on a vampire, that is a memory I’m going to cherish until I the day I die. And sadly, it’s probably not going to end up being that far away.

“What the hell are you?” The beefy vampire recoils at the sight of me.

“Just hope you never run into one of my kind again.” Getting right in the bigger guy’s face, I hiss up at him with all the menace I can muster.

My bluff works, with the blonde backing away carefully. “We’re all good. Was just a little mix up.”

“So get walking and I may let you see another sunset.” I somehow manage to keep the astonishment off my face as the vampire nods fervently.

“You got it man!” He scampers off for easier prey and relief fills me.

But the sensation is brief, being replaced by horrified guilt at the sight of the ponytail vanishing around the corner. He’s going to kill someone else and this time I wasn’t outnumbered.

My fists clench tight enough for my palms to start bleeding and I tilt my head towards the grey sky. “Don’t bother sending me one unless I lose his scent!”

The damn headache will just get my replacement killed and I really don’t need any more weight on my conscience. I’ll never forget the sight of what was left of Lucas’ family... Or how I could have done something about it.

Being the last person I was near, makes it disturbingly easy to follow the vampire into the rougher part of town. I’m not only shocked at how good my nose really is. But completely amazed at how long I can run now.

In my old body, I was barely able to run a whole mile without collapsing in a heap. But tonight the blocks are just blurring past me, with it taking a long time for my lungs to start burning from the exertion. We really are just demonic bloodhounds.

When the scent mixes with another, I follow right into the grimy alley. The sight of two bodies pressed against the brick wall, isn’t enough to disguise the smell of coppery blood.

“Changed my mind!” The punch I land on the blonde is enough to knock him away from the shocked teen.

The way he drops like his strings have been snipped, gives me enough confidence to follow through on my attack. The board I snap, isn’t a very sharp one. But I’m feeling confident in my strength for the first time ever and drive the two by four through his chest.

It’s a big enough piece of wood, that I manage to hit the heart enough to dust the vampire. Despite my rather poor aim, I feel a surge of pride at the cloud of ash that explodes around me.

“Why the hell did Doyle always fight as a human?” I’m pretty sure I can punch through brick like this.

A groan makes me turn back to the groaning teen, and the crimson fluid pour over his dark fingers. “Thanks for the save.”

He slides down the wall and seems to have a hard time focusing on my face. Which thankfully gives me enough time to shake my face back to it’s human appearance.

“You’re going to be alright.” I add the pressure of my own fingers to his bite and sigh with relief. It’s not very deep and should stop bleeding soon. “But you should probably go to the hospital and get this looked at.”

“Gunn’s going to be so mad at me,” The teen snorts at his condition and lets me help him to his feet. “It was just one bloodsucker and I let him get the jump on me like an amateur.”

“Charles Gunn?” I should be shocked at what seems like a coincidence. But I know this is probably just the Powers at work.

I get a shocked nod from the teen who later introduces himself as Levar. “You know him?”

“Of him,” I admit it’s a one way connection and rush to reassure him. “All good things though.”

“Good to know we’re making a difference.” Pride fills the teen’s voice.

Inspiration strikes me as we reach my car and I pull my house key off the ring. “You probably know that vampires can’t come into a place without an invitation. But an extra safe house is always useful.”

Levar’s bleeding has slowed down immensely and he climbs into my passenger seat with only a small groan of pain. He doesn’t seem to understand what’s happening when I slide into my own seat and hold out the silver key.

“That’s not mine.”

“It is now.” Or at least as long as the crew keeps paying the bills. “I’m leaving town and can’t think of anyone I’d rather sublet my place to.”

“We’re not exactly rolling in cash...” Trying not to offend me and my generous offer, Levar’s hesitates in accepting the key. “How much are you going to charge for rent?”

“Pay the bills, kill vampires, and no parties.” Dropping it into his palm with a cocky smirk, I feel an ounce of my Everest sized guilt slide off by shoulders. “Do that and you’ll probably never see me again.” Not like I’d come back even if you break any of those terms.

“For real?” Doubt still fills his voice.

Giving him a heavy look that says more than simple words ever could, I try to explain it as best I can. “Us champions got to look out for each other. Not like anyone else will.” Even if I don’t see myself that way, this body has already been drafted.

“Here’s the address.” I scribble it down along with the door code and apartment number.

He gets out of the car and tries to invite me in to meet the rest of the crew. But knowing a single sneeze would get me killed, I decide to speed off with only a last wave goodbye.

I almost make it out of downtown before I feel a pressure building all across my brain. Barely managing to pull over in time for another vision, at least this one lacks blood.

Suddenly in a library, my point of view starts to read from a book of strange symbols. When he finishes his chanting, crackling bolts of blue energy arc along the floor and form a portal behind a face any fan of Angel would recognize. Fred.

Skybrain, Dimarash, Darkban and 53 others like this.
  8. Mingo

Mingo Son of a Hazmot

Wow! The plot's really kicking off now! Maybe being helped by a half-demon will get Gunn's crew to realize that not all demons are evil? It was unclear if the kid saw his "game face" or not.

I'm not sure if helping Fred is best or not. If she never goes to Pylea would she still become a champion?

Great chapter! Looking forward to the next one!

9. ThedudeManBro

It's funny. Fred has all the traits i find astoundingly annoying in a character, but the actress somehow made it work in making her actually adorable.

To a guy that litteraly logs out when a character like her is on scene, that's downright Oscar worthy kek.

10. Flightless Man

It was unclear to the SI. But Levar thinks he was just seeing things and will convince himself it was nothing.

SHe has probably the worst fate in the entire series, so I'm okay saving her from non existence.

Thank you. The schedule is probably going to be something like 4 chapters a week.

I was really worried I was going to feel the same way once they returned from Pylea. But yeah, Amy Acker managed to make it so charming I only wanted to see more of her.

ArcanaVitae, Mingo and ThedudeManBro like this.
  11. Threadmarks: Chapter 3: Pursuit Of Knowledge
    Flightless Man

Chapter 3: Pursuit Of Knowledge
    It’s harder to find the specific library than I assumed it would be. And really explains why Angel went the private detective route.

I’ve gotten way to used to just googling directions and people leaving everything about themselves on social media. Actually tracking down a location is incredibly frustrating and it doesn’t help that I only have a room full of books to work with.

Sixty three accredited colleges or universities are in Los Angeles. That leaves me racing back and forth across the city, my anger rising as the sun begins falling below the rooftops.

“Where are you Fred?” Grumbling under my breath, I allow my fingers to strum with the beat against the steering wheel. “Really running out of time here.”

Not feeling any luckier with the seventeenth campus, I turn off the ignition with a growing scowl. I can’t remember what the guy responsible looks like from memory alone and know this is my only chance to grab the book for another five years.

As the dark classrooms whip by, it becomes a struggle to keep my demon side contained. The more I strain to find a recent scent, the more the pressure builds beneath my skin. Showing up with a face full of blue barbs, really won’t help convince Fred that I’m the good guy.

When I do track down the library, it’s the only room with more than emergency lights on. Inside, a single head of bushy brown hair pokes up from behind the librarians desk.

“Are you all right?” Her Texan drawl is even stronger than my own accent and I instantly sag in relief. “You look like you just ran a marathon.”

A quick glance at the clock is enough to place me only a few minutes before the incident and my mind races for any plausible explanation. “Something most people would call impossible is about to happen and I’m here to save you from it.”

“I’m calling the police.” Fred is already reaching for the phone.

“Probably a good idea.” That seems to confuse her enough to hesitate with a finger over the number nine. “You aren’t the first grad student to vanish mysteriously.”

I may not remember how many other people have been banished from Earth. But I know it’s enough to leave a paper trail.

“You know what happened to them?” Curiosity overcomes Fred’s concern for her own safety. “Doctor Seidel said the police had lost the trail.”

“Well of course he would say that.” My tone gets her back on the defensive and I try to make her see the obvious. “How many grad students have gone missing and how many was he responsible for?”

It only takes her a couple seconds to understand and her gasp of horror is more satisfying than I would like to admit. “All four of them.”

“That really didn’t ring any alarm bells for you?” It’s not like this is Sunnydale, with the whole magically enforced masquerade.

“The opportunity was too good to pass up.” Horror fills every word. “Doctor Seidel is world renowned and studying under him would sky rocket my career.”

Raising a single eyebrow, I barely manage to hold in a snort of laughter. “Straight to another dimension.”

“The claim of the impossible?” Fred’s nose scrunches up as she puts the pieces together. “But Seidel’s research is only theoretical.”

“Proof will be here in a few minutes, I’ll stay over here by the door until it is.” Trying to get Fred to relax, I very deliberately take a seat at the table farthest from her. “And if nothing happens by midnight, I’ll admit I was wrong and leave.”

“That sounds reasonable...” The university student can’t seem to find anything outrageous about the request and relents.

“Aren’t you a student?” Trying to make less stressful conversation, I point at the cart of books in her hands.

Nodding slowly, Fred makes sure to keep me in her view as she slides books onto the appropriate shelf. “And that costs a whole lot of money. Last year, I worked in the computer lab cleaning keyboards.”

Watching the clock tick closer to the time I saw in the vision, I can feel my muscles tensing with each minute. “Three more minutes.”

“And you’ll leave?” Fred still only seems half convinced something strange will happen.

“Let’s just hope you react like most people.” A few nights of nightmares before rationalizing it as something mundane, that’s far preferable to knowing the truth.

“How many people have you had to ‘save’?” A snort of disbelief escapes the Texan girl and I really feel bad for at how her world view is about to be shattered.

“You’re only my second vision,” I admit grimly. “Let’s hope you don’t end up the same way.”

“What happene-” Before Fred can finish her question, energy starts to crackle behind the desk she only recently vacated.

It quickly forms into a howling vortex that pulls anything loose into it. MY smugness only lasts for a moment, quickly replaced with cursing at myself.

“I didn’t actually come up with a plan to close this thing.” Probably should have thought past stopping Fred from getting sucked inside.

The scientifically minded student, really is far too curious with the thing that was meant to kill her. “It’s a real wormhole. Do you know where it goes?”

As suddenly as it appeared, the portal dissipates as if it never existed. Only the faint smell of sulphur lingers in the air, with both of us exchanging looks of confusion.

“Or I guess that just takes care of itself.” I still have to find this Doctor Seidel. But Fred should be able to point me at him now that I’m not just some loon.

“Naughty little Winnifred.” A mocking voice draws my gaze to the now open door and the man glaring at us. “You aren’t supposed to bring friends to work. It’s so much harder to cover up those disappearances.”

“But why are you doing this?” Betrayed by her mentor’s actions, Fred is having a very hard time processing things quickly.

When the despicable excuse for a human begins decides not to explain his master plan and open up the spellbook in his hand, I react without further thought.

Crossing the distance between us in only a few seconds, Doctor Seidel is not ready for my tackle. Once he’s under me and winded, I waste very little time with his beating.

It’s only when Fred yells for me to stop, that I realize the doctor is little more than a quivering mass of flesh. His eyes are locked onto my face and filled with only terror at what he sees.

Somehow I manage to force myself off of the bloody scientist, grabbing the book of spells when I do. “Is this your only copy?”

The symbols on the cover are written in no human language I’ve ever heard of and I doubt it will be easy for the guy to find another copy. But that also means it’s going to be just as hard for me to find a teacher.

Banishing the Scourge to Pylea, that sounds like a match made in hell.

“Yeah.” His terrified mumble makes me think it’s the truth.

“Good, I’m keeping it.” Scowling down at him, I weigh my options. “But I still don’t know what to do with you.”

“Let me go?” The pitiful moan only makes my scowl deepen.

Fred is even more furious than I am and shows how viscous she can really be. “Can you send him through the portal?”

“Not until I learn how to read this mumbo jumbo.” Handing Fred the book, I watch her eyebrows shoot up into her bangs.

“That might take a while.” She has even less of an idea where to begin than I do. “This code looks pretty complicated.”

Her eyes finally move back to my face and she notices the lack of pink skin. When Fred really takes my appearance in, palpable shock rises of her in waves.

“I’m guessing it wasn’t the book that did that to you.” I notice the genius does check her own hand for confirmation of the theory.

“Dear old dad passed on the genes,” With a shrug, I reassure her the book isn’t going to turn her into a porcupine. “You’re probably safe handling that thing. It’s not like Heidel here was wearing gloves.”

Her fear doesn’t last long, replaced by intrigue at the possibilities I just opened up to her. “I should probably call the police now.”

“And I should probably get out of here.” It’s not like I have anything official to add to the evidence.

Before I can leave though, a groan directs my gaze to where the portal had been. The green skinned demon waving at us is watching me with concern. “... Hope I’m not disturbing you and your cows. But could you point me to town?”

Lorne’s a far more flamboyant shade of green than a Brachen and he only has two small horns curving up from his forehead. But it’s really his charming smile that makes me lower my guard.

“Cow?” More confused than upset, Fred turns to me for answers. “What is he talking about?”​

Skybrain, Dimarash, Darkban and 54 others like this.
  12. Mingo

Mingo Son of a Hazmot

LORNE!!!!!!!!!!

This was great! Looking forward to the next one!

13. Monmonstar

Monmonstar I am the [sigh] depressed riddler

Ahh Loren best boy of angle the bitch tv show

14. ThedudeManBro

God Bumbling Brainy Fred and Bumbling Brawn Doyle, coupled with occasionally helping Charming Lorne makes for an amazing Supernatural sitcom.

That, coupled with the "will they won't they" of the adorably funny and awkward chemistry between Doyle and Fred sounds like smash hit tv to me!

... Aaaaaand I noticed I'm shipping again. Kek.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Dimarash, LaerzA and Flightless Man like this.
  15. Flightless Man

He really is top tier.

Thank you, I'm working on it now.

You really can't ask for a better friend.

I think you mean almost always charming Lorne.

That is a possiblity, fans know that Fred latches onto heroes. It' wouldn't be out of character for an attraction to grow.

Due to Doyle's age(23), he really only has a few possible choices for potential romances. Fred is one of them.

LaerzA and ThedudeManBro like this.
  16. ThedudeManBro

Oh no I meant he occasionally helps his best friend and his cow girlfriend partner. A man's gotta Nightclub to manage ya know! Lorne is always charming and one the best parts of the shitty Angel show.

Also yea, there are SOME other choices aside from Fred... But why eat bony badly cut lamb chops when the Prime Steak filet mignon is right there? :V

17. Mingo

Mingo Son of a Hazmot

Yeah, but remember she was pretty broken by her years spent in a Hell Dimension. The whole "handsome man saved me from the monsters" thing isn't going to happen here. This Fred should be a more confident version, just going off of flashbacks of before she went through the portal.

Edit: Also, other than narrative convenience is there a reason why Lorne's portal takes him to the college and not to where Caritas would be? Not complaining, just curious if you had an in-universe reason for the change.

Have him listen to showtunes on the ride to Sunnydale!

Yeah, that arc was fucked up. Though it was never shown onscreen, the fact they're called cows certainly implies that they're used for food. Do you think they were milked too?

You think Angel was shitty? I actually like it more than Buffy. I always thought the show's overall theme of "if nothing we do matters then all that matters is what we do" was powerful and pretty poignant. Better than Buffy's theme of 'oh, girls are strong, ha ha, literally' which isn't as groundbreaking today as it was then. Angel has aged much better, apart from a certain season 4 arc. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Flightless Man and ThedudeManBro like this.
  18. Flightless Man

Well if Lorne's coming to Sunnydale, he needs a new place of business.

I could really only think of 5 female choices(both series) and like 3 possible guys. Anyone the SI teaches, is off limits forever. But he's only a few years out of range, so it takes anyone in Giles/Joyce's age off the table.

Good point, but instead of a sudden obsession with Doyle, it's more going do be a bashful attraction.

I only have the DvDs of Buffy Season 1-7 and Angel 1-3. I had a hard time finding the episode online, so assumed from the synopsis that Lorne emerged the same place as the Portal Fred went through, since the synopsis described it as Lorne emerging from the portal Fred vanished in.

funny, because I already wrote a listening to Meatloaf scene. I've been Frankenfurter in the Rocky horror picture show, so I'm 100% a musical guy.

Huh. None of the women seemed to have attire designed to facilitate milking on Pylea. But they all could have just been in the barns.

Angel I feel has less bad episodes but also less amazing episodes. I give the series a consistant 8/10. Buffy fluctuates between a 6/10 and a 10/10 (The Body, Once More With Feeling, Hush). The episodes that focus on Buffy/the scoobies growing up and aren't exclusively about feminist traits are the real stand out Buffy episodes.

19. Threadmarks: Chapter 4: Making Friends
    Flightless Man

Chapter 4: Making Friends
    “Of course law firms are run by demons.” Fred mutters in frustration once I explain why calling the cops is pointless.

“They have ties with the police and it’s going to be nearly impossible to make this stick.” I get ready to broach a grim topic, only to blink in astonishment when Fred beats me to it.

“We need to kill him.” Her voice is full of rage, all of it directed at her unconscious mentor. “He can’t get away with what he’s been doing.”

While I blink at the fury contained in such a tiny woman, she flashes a feral grin at me. “What? I’m from Texas.”

Even with us both in agreement, neither makes a move towards Doctor Heidel for almost a full minute. When I do start walking towards him, my hands shake the entire time.

“You might want to wait in the hall with Lorne.” Giving Fred a chance to avoid being a witness, she impresses me once again with her own resolve.

“He tried to send me to a hell dimension.” Her arms cross and her scowl returns. “I’m not going anywhere until this is over.”

Letting out a deep breath, I steady my shaking hands around Heidel’s neck. With one quick motion, I end his life with a snap.

Neither says anything until we’re outside and standing outside my car and Fred holds out her hand. “How about I drive?”

“Probably a good idea.” Despite knowing I made the right call earlier, it doesn’t make me feel any better about doing it in cold blood.

“Where do you live?” Her question makes my fingers hesitate over the radio and I realize I have a little problem.

“Uh...” I could go introduce myself to Gunn and his crew if I really need a place to crash. “Kind of gave my place to the last guy I helped out.” But Lorne is kind of a no go around that crowd.

Her giggle is some wonderful medicine after what I’ve done and I soak it in. “I don’t have a big place. But you’re more than welcome to stay as long as you like.”

“Even me?” Lorne chimes in from the backseat as he looks through my suitcase for something to wear.

“Of course even you.” Our driver smiles softly at me through the rear view mirror. “You’re just as lost as I would have been without Allen’s help.”

It’s the only one of Doyle’s names I never heard used in the show and my attempt at keeping my future separate from his past. Same reason I haven’t given Harriet a call.

“And just to make sure I got things straight...” The red horned Pylean’s eyes dart between Fred and I. “You aren’t Allen’s pet?”

“No. I’m not anyone’s pet.” Clearly getting annoyed at how many times she’s had to repeat herself, Fred decides to change the subject. “What kind of music do you like?”

The silence between questions is driving me crazy and I need something to fill it with. “Something classic.”

“You have music here?” Lorne shoves his head between ours, his face filled with awed disbelief. “What kind of instruments do you use on Earth?”

Excitement shines in Fred’s eyes as she tells me what station to switch to. “You’re in for a real treat Lorne.”

When Meatloaf starts to croon from my speakers, the lime green demon starts to tear up. “It’s so beautiful.”

“We already have more songs than a human can listen to in a lifetime,” Explains Fred with a smile. “And this station only plays the best of them.”

“We don’t have time for frivolous things like music on Pylea.” Wiping the tears from his face, Lorne shares a little more about his home. “The most you’ll here is drums on a cow hunt.”

When my stomach let’s out a rumble, I’ just glad the music covered it up. “Anyone else hungry?”

“How do you feel about tacos?” Fred is quick to suggest something the second Lorne admits his own hunger. “Because I know the best place and it’s open all night.”

“I think I can get you some tacos for a place to sleep.” My grin gets Fred to turn away bashfully, before taking a left at the next light.

When she pulls over, I hop out of the car with my wallet in hand. “Anything special you want, or should I just grab three of everything for us?”

“That would be amazing.” Once I’ve made the offer, Fred can’t help but give me puppy dog eyes.

The second I get out and shut the door, she turns the radio up at Lorne’s request. And while the pair start singing along, I pick up enough food to feed a hockey team.

I hesitate outside the car on my return, noticing the change in mood. The music is turned back down and the pair are discussing something intently, only to change the subject when I wrap on the window.

“Lorne can see the future!” Blurts out the ever excitable Winnifred Burkle.

“So now I’m not special?” My fake pout gets her to giggle again.

Despite her blush, Fred defends me firmly. “Of course you are, you’re a hero!”

“Depends on who you ask.” Still in the cosmic red right now.

“Do you have anything decent to wear?” Lorne has gone through all of my bags and still hasn’t found anything that passes his approval.

“You’re wearing burlap.” A frown of confusion plasters itself across my face.

Affronted by my words, Lorne shakes his head at me. “You have a world full of colour Handsome and yet everything you have to wear is so drab. Why don’t you have anything with colour?”

“I’m not a very flamboyant guy.” I care a lot more about the texture of the clothing than how it looks. “And besides, I’m an autumn. Earth tones are supposed to look good on me.”

“Maybe if you want to blend in with the mud.” Lorne doesn’t take it easy on me and even throws some of the worst offenders out the window.

“Hey!” My whining doesn’t get more than laughter out of Lorne and Fred. “I’m not exactly rolling in cash right now.”

But now that I’m thinking about it... I know at least a few stocks that are about to pop. And aren’t the Red Wings supposed to win back to back cups pretty soon?

“So you’re some kind of genius, right Fred?” I know the answer but want to here how she answers without her Pylea trauma. “That’s why Heidel was trying to get rid of you.”

“I don’t want to toot my own horn.” She blushes even brighter as she pulls to a stop outside a decent looking apartment. “But lots of schools are fighting for me.”

“So you’d be able to help me track a family down?” I only have a general direction to look. But saving Fred from her fate has inspired me.

While we wait for the elevator, Fred’s nose crinkles in thought. “You need to save them?”

“I’m uniquely qualified.” If the men are telling them they’re demons, I’m the perfect one to pick up Tara and her mother.

They aren’t the only people I can help either. Sunnydale has enough threats unconnected to any of the big bads, I could keep myself busy until Buffy moves.

But when I think of Buffy with my eyes on the vibrant Fred, I realize I’ve already failed her. Buffy doesn’t deserve months in an asylum.

If the Hemery Homecoming dance is next Friday, that gives me some time to come up with a plan. I’m so distracted with my planning, that I don’t even notice when I start humming along with the elevator music.

Lorne does though and his eyes widen with each note. “And here I thought Fred had a big choice to make. But you’re life is nothing but huge ones.”

“Can you do me a favour?” Trying to hold in a groan, my frustration bubbles at the idea of the Powers That Be taking away my free will. “Never tell me what my future is.”

“But don’t you get visions?” Fred leads us to her door and slides the key into the lock.

“I’m seeing a moment in time that needs interference. It’s only different if I choose to do something.” Lorne’s readings are a lot more personal. “I’d like to at least have the illusion of choice.” I’ll help out when I can. But I’m not going to be anyone’s lackey.

“You look like you need some weed.” Fred’s off the cuff comment shocks me out of my funk, making my eyes dart towards her.

When I see she’s serious and is holding up a Ziploc bag, it takes everything I have not to beg. “Yes please.” Maybe that will take the edge of the headaches without me needing to drink an entire bottle.

Skybrain, Dimarash, Darkban and 50 others like this.
  20. Scurra71900

Scurra71900 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thanks for the updates!

21. Monmonstar

Weed might actually help in this case i don't smoke anymore but after a hit and run a few years ago my pain meds were too little or too much [doc told me to take no more than two per 6 hours and one if the pain was less] two made living alone dangerous one did nothing for the pain but made it hard to gage with to pee my sister got me a bag of gummi edibles. And they got rid of my pain and my stress after i was healed up i stopped still have five or six for a emergency Maybe

22. Mingo

Mingo Son of a Hazmot

Lorne arrived at the same time that Fred left but not in the same place, his portal brought him to the building where he would build Caritas.

They didn't have even the concept of music in Pylea, I think Lorne described it saying he could hear the notes in his head but I don't think he knew the word "music" until arriving on Earth.

I have no idea what Meatloaf is but I really hope by exposing Lorne to it early you haven't turned him into a rocker or metalhead or whatever they're called. He's a crooner!

23. Flightless Man

Ah, well that's just something this story nudged I guess. But I will keep that in mind for any future stories.

Because it was banned on Pylea, I feel it was something they used to have. So I'm going with Pylea using instruments only for utility purposes, with frivolous uses being what was punished. Lorne is all about flamboyance and frivolity, so I hope that change is alright.

He does a bunch of 6 minute + love ballads. He was the most Lorne I could get and stay in the rock genre (without using Queen and I already did a Stannis fic about that that)

You're welcome, thanks for reading.

I live in Canada and it's legal. I've used it for pain for a long time and think it's a far better substitute than booze. I had headaches that would knock me out for about 3 year (brain tumor scare). So from my own experience, I know it will help the vision headaches.

Dimarash likes this.
  24. Mingo

Mingo Son of a Hazmot

Here's a direct quote from the transcript

Host: "Do you? - Well, try this: they have *no* music there. It doesn't exist. Do you know what that's like? No lullabies, no love songs. All my life I thought I was crazy. That I had ghosts in my head or something. Simply because I could hear music. Of course I didn't know it was music. All I knew was that it was something beautiful and - and painful - and right. And I was the only one who could hear it. - Then I wound up here and heard Aretha for the fist time... Well. (Gives a slight laugh, then turns serious) Don't kid yourselves. Cordy's in a *very* bad place."

Read more at: https://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=9482

25. Flightless Man

And the way he phrases it is vague enough that I'm only bending canon, not breaking it clean in half. Everything he lists is a frivolity. So in my version war drums just make people march in time with each other. The Pyleans use noise as a tool, but it's never for enjoyment. Lorne heard the utility sounds and just liked how they sounded.

26. Smurfpapa

Smurfpapa Verified Blue

Do they expire?

Monmonstar and Flightless Man like this.
  27. Monmonstar

Not for a long time there vacuum sealed individually i have 3 to 4 year's left if the date on the gummis are right there cdb all chemical

28. Threadmarks: Chapter 5: Evening The Odds
    Flightless Man

Chapter 5: Evening The Odds
    After Fred went to bed, I pulled myself onto the balcony wrapped in a blanket. It ends up being easier to sleep on one of her folding chair than inside on the couch.

Lorne’s great interest in the music channel ends up being even louder than Fred’s snoring and it’s the only way I can get a few hours of shut eye. What kind of jet lag do you get crossing dimensions?

I said easier, not easy. Because I only get about an hour and a half of sleep before the sun is beating down on me. Instead of going in and joining Lorne though, I try to plan ahead for more than a single day.

Fred’s going to help me find Tara and her mom. But I don’t have anyway to track down Faith, since I kind of don’t remember what her last name is at all. Makes it really hard to look her up in a phone book.

The more I consider the timing of everything, the more sure I become of actually seeing Angel outside of Hemery. Thoughts of Angel, inevitably lead me right to his darker half.

The Romany are supposed to want the demon to suffer. What could possible be worse than the soul being locked down forever?

I don’t plan on letting the Spike situation ever get to the point her would need that cave in Africa. But if Angel really wants to have a future, this is the only way I know of for him to ever experience true happiness.

Buffy may have given Angel happiness. But Doyle is who gave him hope for a future. Let’s just hope I can find a way to make him listen to me.

When Fred gets up and calls in sick for the day, she joins me on the balcony with a plate full of toast. “Up early or couldn’t sleep?”

“My life’s changed a whole lot in the last little while.” Accepting a couple slices of peanut butter slathered toast, I can’t stop the stress from entering my voice. “Still getting used to this whole saving people thing.” And dealing with the ones I didn’t even try to.

“You seemed pretty sure of yourself last night.” The brunette genius yawns, her stretch drawing my gaze to her exposed belly. “And I’m thankful I don’t have to find out how literal the whole ‘cow’ thing on Pylea is.”

Lorne slides open the door and reveals how good his hearing is with a grimace. “Very.”

“How are you doing?” Offering him the plate, Fred reveals just how sweet she is. “You’re the one lost in a strange world.”

“If Pylea is nightmare, Earth is a dream come true.” The empathetic demon claps with glee before giving me a sidelong look. “Why don’t you have any clothes as nice as the people on the TV?”

“Because they’re rich.” My muttered response only seems to light a fire inside of Lorne.

Taking pity on the newcomer to Earth, Fred comes to the rescue. “We can go shopping once the sun goes down. You should be able to find a few things you like and I don’t mind paying.”

“You are the real hero here Doll.” The Pylean pulls her into a hug and shows how quickly he’s picking up the lingo.

“So I should just throw nice clothes at people I’m rescuing instead?” Smiling along with the other two, I need the laughter more than I realized.

Raising a single eyebrow, Lorne stares me down with a contagious grin. “Do you have any?”

“Apparently not.” Shrugging, I swallow my last bite of toast with my own grin. “Guess I’ll just have to fix that when I get settled in Sunnydale.”

“Why are you going to such a small town?” Fred has heard of it and crinkles her brow with a confused frown.

Tapping my temples with a pair of fingers, I give her the cliff notes version. “Got a whole lot of viewings of things that might happen in the next seven years. I’d feel terrible if the world ended just because I was a coward.”

“And you want to bring me with you?” Lorne shudders at the thought.

“Only if you want to. I’m not volunteering other people.” Getting drafted into the fight really does sap all your enthusiasm. “But it is one of the few towns where you can blend in.”

“But I don’t want to blend in,” Whines Lorne, his pout on full display.

After Fred giggles her agreement and promises to make sure he stands out, I take the chance to slip out for a few hours. If I’m going to help Buffy, it’s better to do it with backup.

After Fred busies herself with tracking down the Maclays, I decide it’s a good time to take care of business. I know Gunn hates vampires and want to give his crew a chance to go to the dance.

When I find myself standing outside the apartment I lived in only yesterday, I have to snort at being forced to knock. It’s already well past noon and it doesn’t take long for voices to approach on the other side.

“Who is it?” The easily recognizable voice of Charles Gunn greets me.

“Allen Doyle. Should still have a few pictures inside with my face.” Waiting confidently for the door to open, I can hear a trio of voices discussing the issue.

The door eventually swings open and reveals teens approaching twenty and a girl only a few years younger. Must be Alanna.

I forgot how much like a stereo typical thug Gunn looked back in the first season. “Levar said you gave us the place.”

“I did, don’t worry.” Reassuring him that I’m not here to renege on the gift, I get right down to business. “Just wanted to see if you guys wanted to kill some vampires with me.”

“You know it,” Gunn is quick to voice his agreement, his eyes no longer watching me with distrust. “How big is the nest?”

“Big enough to attack the Hemery High homecoming dance.”

The trio exchange shocked glances before Gunn finally finds his words. “Don’t usually care much about rich kids. Can’t let an army of them get turned though.”

“They’re trying to kill the most recent Slayer.” I get the bright idea to introduce Buffy to her fellow champions long before she gets the wrong idea about her place in the world.

Buffy’s not the World’s Champion, she’s the Watcher Council’s. Lots of other forces have champions of their own and even regular people out number her in the fight against evil.

“Slayer?” Alanna notices the capital S and turns to me with a questioning look.

“Mystic champion against evil.” Trying to keep the explanation vague, I steer the conversation towards battle plans instead. “But she’s only one person, so we can’t expect her to do it all by herself.”

“Some valley girl is fighting vampires?” His sister is trying not to laugh in my face. “I need to see this.”

Gunn is determined to keep her away from the action and makes that clear. “You aren’t getting within five blocks of the action.”

“Typical.” She scowls at her brother and turns to me once the heat has burned out. “He always does this.”

“Can’t really blame a guy for wanting to keep his family safe.” You look like you should still be in school.

“Why’d you just give Levar the keys to this place?” Gunn is very conflicted over accepting the apartment and I can tell he expects me to start trying to control his crew.

Shrugging at his tone, I try to give Gunn an explanation he’ll like. “Because evil already outnumbers the good guys. I figure why try fighting it all by myself.”

“But you don’t know anything about us.” Alanna counters, getting a nod of approval from her brother.

“I know enough.” I know what happens when the crew doesn’t have a safe house and how many of you die because of it.

“Told you our rep was growing,” Brags a very smug Gunn as he misinterprets my words.

His sister rolls her eyes and lets out an annoyed huff. “More like Levar spilled the beans.”

“Words still spreading,” Jerome pips up before finally introducing himself. “Really doesn’t matter how.”

“Word of advice. Don’t let the bad guys survive to gossip about you.” That’s how they start teaming up.

As the rest of the crew start arriving and I count at least twenty guys, I start thinking my plan may not be completely idiotic. And I’ll even make sure to bring a weapon this time.

Skybrain, Dimarash, Darkban and 52 others like this.
  29. Scurra71900

Scurra71900 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thanks for the update!

30. Threadmarks: Chapter 6: Rise And Shine
    Flightless Man

Chapter 6: Rise And Shine
    Jerking awake suddenly, I nearly thrash out of the chair when Gunn wakes me up. The phone in his hand is confusing me at first, until Gunn nearly smacks me in the head with it.

“Dude, it’s for you.” His frown shifts into a more teasing smirk. “Some girl is threatening to give me a stroke if I don’t let her talk to you.”

“Fred?” Accepting the phone with a wary look, I’m subjected to a single breath scolding.

Her voice is tense and each word is hissed with ferocity. “You said it was only going to take a little while, but it’s been hours! We thought you died!”

“Uh...” Glancing out the window at the dark sky, I realize I slept through most of the afternoon. “Sorry Fred, I guess the lack of sleep finally caught up with me. I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

“You better Buster.” I can perfectly picture her only half serious scowl and crossed arms. “Lorne was really looking forward to his shopping trip.”

“Well let him know I picked up a few extra shifts and we can really splurge now.” Alanna gives me a smug look as I mention the messages she passed on to me. “I got to cover a grade four class tomorrow.” And back to Hemery the day after, since apparently the kids liked me enough.”

Waiting until I’m finished with the call, Gunn gives me a strange look that passes to his sister. You really a teacher?”

“Just a substitute right now.” But Sunnydale is always in need and I don’t see it being hard to get a more permanent position.

“So you couldn’t pull any strings?” The way his brow creases even deeper and his shoulders sag, make me understand this matters to him. “Can’t get Alanna into that fancy school?”

Giving him a sad shake of my head, I have to let Gunn down for now. “Don’t have the kind of cash needed to pay the tuition.”

But I might know a place we can get it. The realization that the Hyperion Hotel is unihabited and only needs a little exorcism. That makes a smirk reveal itself to the others’ confusion.

“After we deal with Lothos, how do you feel about moving the crew to a better neighbourhood?” Fifty thousand dollars is waiting for whoever deals with that demon and I’m fine splitting it.

Of course when I start thinking of haunted places in Los Angeles, Phantom Dennis is quick to make an appearance in my thoughts. That would probably be better than bringing Tara and her mom to the Hellmouth.

I’m not trying to draft the Maclays. I’m just uniquely perfect for getting them away from that specific brand of abuse.

We spend another couple of hours going over the preparations and it takes a whole lot of convincing for the crew to give my ideas a try. Jerome was quite vocal about how silly using squirt guns and water balloons sounded. Can’t believe how long they lasted without knowing about holy water.

Getting back to Fred’s apartment just before nine, I have to wait anxiously for her to come down and let me in. And when she does, the scowl is large enough to be a sleeping mask.

“All the thrift stores are closed now.” The way her braids shake along with her furious head bobbing, is more adorable than I care to admit.

Holding up my hands to ward off the genius’ anger, I try to get through it without any yelling. “I explained the situation to Gunn and his friends. They all donated something colourful to the cause.”

The box at my feet is filled with second hand clothes and I’m sure at least a few of them will fit the empath. With a long look at the donations, Fred eventually loses the scowl.

Her more natural smile replaces it along with her nod of approval. “That was really nice of them.”

“They wouldn’t let me leave without testing out the holy water.” Had to tell them clothes was the price of lessons once I realized all the good places had closed. “But they’re a whole lot more excited about Homecoming now.” Or more likely, the thirty grand I promised from the next job.

“Heard about your threat.” Teasing the girl, I watch her flush with embarrasment. “How do you give someone a stroke?”

Her mumbled response is both filled with expletives and impossible to properly decipher. So I simply follow her into the elevator with a chuckle.

“Such a vulgar mouth. What would your parents say?” While I continue the banter, she presses the button with a huff.

“Be very disappointed with how many of them I repeated.” Fred hangs her head as we climb to the third floor. “They taught me to be more creative than that.”

Laughter greets us when we enter the apartment. Lorne’s voice cackling along with whatever Leno said, is almost enough to make me turn around. Really not looking forward to late night television for the next decade.

“I’m never going back to Pylea!” He greets me with a hug and quick peck on each cheek. “It’s going to be so much fun here!” What was he watching all day?

“Just remember what we talked about.” Fred gives him an encouraging look.

Rolling his eyes, Lorne proves that he does. “Tell anyone who looks at me strange, that I’m just filming a movie a few blocks over.”

“That should probably work.” With a relieved smile, I hand Lorne the box of clothes. “And this should make you look better than mud. At least until you can pick something out yourself.”

“You really are an angel. Brought me out of that drab hell and now your handing me such fabulous clothes.” Lorne is holding up a bright red shirt and it looks like his eyes are starting to water.

Sudden and excruciating pain brings me to my knees, as I experience someone’s last moments. The agony and terror is almost overwhelming, making it very hard to notice the rest of the room.

“Movie theatre and it’s playing ‘Humanoids from the Deep’.” I would recognize those crappy costumes anywhere. “Something smelled terrible, kind of like how I imagine curdled fish would smell if it was mixed with month old coleslaw.”

“I don’t think fish can curdle.” Fred gives me an equally amused and yet also disgusted look.

“But you know how bad the smell is now.” Tapping her on the nose, we both pretend not to notice the how her cheeks take on an adorable shade of pink.

Frowning at how I’m still wobbling on my feet, Fred points out what else she noticed. “And now I know how much those visions hurt.”

“They give me a chance to make things a little bit better. I can put up with some pain.” As long as it’s the Powers That Be giving me the warnings.

No making deals with demons to make the headaches hurt any less. That’s the first step towards opening Jasmine’s door and I have no intention of facing someone on that level if I can help it.

“Sounds like you’ve already got an answer to most of those questions.” Watching me with great interest, Lorne thankfully doesn’t tell me what any of those questions are.

“I’m just trying not to get noticed by the big players until I have to.” My early plans in Sunnydale are all about handling the unconnected threats.

Having people like the Mayor on my case, is just going to make everything harder. The robot Ted and Cathryn Madison are top priorities, with people like Marcie and Jessie on my list of people who can possibly be saved.

But Angel is the big one. If Buffy is only going to live a year or two, I can shut up and ignore the age difference. But as long as Buffy wants to live a long life, Angel isn’t right for her.

That curse needs to be locked down or he needs to be turned human. I know of a cave in Africa that can take care of the first and Mohra blood has been proven capable of the second.

Should probably try finding one anyway. That’s some insane regenerative power and I can think of at least a couple people who could use some.

I know people have problems with Angel and Buffy’s romance. But personally, my issue was with how unwilling to fight the good fight, Angel was in the early seasons.

I need to convince him that no matter how much Buffy inspires him. Right now, he couldn’t inspire a rat. I only have six months to find the guy and convince him I know what I’m talking about.

Skybrain, Dimarash, Darkban and 43 others like this.