• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Song of Dragons [XianXia]

Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

A legendary expert rebirths to fulfill his purpose from his past life: Reaching immortal realm.
Prologue

WhiteBlack

Getting some practice in, huh?
The island was in peril. The trees burnt in a raging fire, sky blackened in smoke. Cries of humans and monsters alike flooded the surroundings.

A huge battle had occurred here. Occurred and lost.

Over the horizon a black dragon could be seen fleeing from the scene, flying sluggishly towards the ocean, all it wanted to get away somehow. It's black scales withered from countless wounds, blood dripping from them. It's teeth, barely any left. It's fire extinguished. Yet it could fly, his last flight.

Had it not started raining that day, it could have survived.

But without any warning heavy rain assaulted the island. Not only extinguishing the fire but also making the dragon crash face first in the ground.

"THUD!"

It was over for him. It hadn't left any energy to take off again. It's body melted in jet black grease leaving behind the figure of a man.

He looked young despite being decades of age. His body was covered in grease and sand, making his wounds hurt like hell. But pain of the wounds wouldn't even register in his brain, since pain of failure was a million fold worse.

Not only he failed in his goal, he was about to die as well. Meaning he wouldn't get another chance.

"Heh..I failed in the end..."

He chuckled as tears flowed from his eyes washing the grease away.

He turned his face in the sky as spread out his arms. Thinking over the course of his life.

He had dedicated all his life for this goal, his one and only desire. Even after countless sacrifices, efforts and sins. He still failed.

The fire he set in hopes of escaping was blown off. Heavy footsteps with roars and curses were approaching towards him.

It was the end.

He stared at the cloudy sky for another minute as he sighed.

"It's time for last resort. If this final relic I have left, failed to work, I would die a nameless death."

His hand reached for the thread tied around his neck. An small egg was tied to its end like a locket. The golden relic was heavy with decades worth of concentrated Qi.

He pulled it, breaking the thread and looked at it.

Only he knew how he had cultivated this relic. If his pursuers knew he had this, he wondered what kind of expression they would make. They may even want to spare his life in exchange of this legendary item.

"The sudden rain was bad luck, and after bad luck comes good luck. I have a feeling, this egg would work. But in case it failed, the backlash would destroy half of this island in explosion. Both outcomes are fitting. Well then, here goes nothing."

Just as the footsteps were feets away from him, he smashed the egg on his head. Enormous amount of energy was released killing him instantly.

But no explosion occurred.

Somewhere in western continent.

In a small village, a boy in his teens was working in the fields. This field bordered an irrigation canal with lush green plants filling the vision. His face and limbs were covered in black soil. He slowly spread apart the spritual herbs to look for weeds and pulled them out.

The sun shone brightly at his head making him dizzy. It had been 4 hours of working, yet no even 1/5 of the field was done. He will definitely get blows when the lame old man returns from his gambling endeavours.

His hand shook at the thought of the beating, delaying his work further. Strings of sweat dripped from his face. It had gotten too hot. Almost unbearable.

He quickly went near the agitation canal and washed his face. Thinking about just how pathetic and small his existence was.

The cold water helped a little too much to comfort him as suddenly a deathly chill ran down his spine. Random thoughts and information entered his brain.Memories from his future laid bare in his inexperienced eyes, making them shine with maturity.

It hurt, so much that he groans in pain. Curled up on the floor with his head in his hands. His legs kicked a bucket making more his whole body wet.

This kept going for several minutes then suddenly his body got still, his mind cleared. His voice finally left his mouth.

"Heh..It worked after all.."

And so, the legendary expert, Xue Song was reborn.

Chapter 2: Mu Kai village
Xue Song lay on his back, his arms spread apart, and gazed at the sky. He thought about his situation.

He had just traveled back in time.

"The Mu Kai village," he murmured. "Who could have thought I would come here again?"

In the next 30 years or so, this village along with the whole eastern continent is set to be destroyed. But that's not what he cared about.

Not only did he have another chance at life, he now also had an unfair advantage this. His memories were intact; he could use this knowledge to learn from his mistakes.

"Cultivating that egg was perhaps the only thing I did right in my life. I mean, my previous life."

He brought his hands forward and looked at them. Small and frail. He should be around 14 or 15 years old, still working in the fields of that lame old man. He hadn't thought that egg was this powerful. He had expected to go a year or two back in time. But 50 years? Legendary relics can't be underestimated.

The familiar sound of water flowing in the canal along with the chirping of local birds brought him nostalgia. His mind was more tired than his body. Rebirth had taken quite a toll on his health. The more he tried to keep his eyes open, the more they shut themselves. Before long, he lost himself in a deep slumber.

A dream followed his sleep. A woman was holding him in her embrace. Who was she? His mother? or sister perhaps?
"I have to go now," she said as she squeezed him tightly. "Come find me in the immortal realm. I know you can find me..."
Her eyes soaked in tears as she parted the embrace and smiled at him. After that last gesture, she left him alone on the hill. A boy of 8. How heartless was she? Or how heartless, abandoning such a young boy as him. It had been a really long time since he had seen this dream.

"GET UP YOU SON OF A ***." A strong strike right on his head. Xue Song woke up feeling he'd die. His eyes glared with killing intent at the old man who had just driven the metallic end of his walking stick right into his head.

"You bastard dog. How dare you sleep while the work I gave you is unfinished. Will the weeds pluck themselves out? What will I do if the crops rot?"

The old man threw another strike at him. Now that Xue Song was awake, a slow strike like that was child's play for him. He dodged it easily by tilting his head.

Seeing this, the old man's eyes fumed with anger. How dare this freeloader dog dodge his blows? Wasn't he humbled by him long ago with countless beatings?

"Did you just dodge the punishment? You think since my legs are lame, you can rebel against me? You ungrateful mongrel. Tell me, who is it that feeds you? Stop dodging if you don't want to go hungry today."

Xue Song looked at him with disgust. If possible, he never wanted to see the face of this garbage of a human again in his life. But it seemed not everything about rebirth was brilliant. He took a few steps back and then charged at him as fast as his frail body allowed and then kicked at his working leg.

The old man fell on his back and cried in pain and anger.

"Ouch!! Argh!..H-HOW DARE YOU. YOU THINK YOU CAN BULLY ME, AN OLD MAN WHO FED YOU. I didn't know I was raising a snake... Don't ever think you could get away with this. I may be old, but I have connections. I will have you sold off to a slaver. That will teach you a lesson."

He tried to scare Xue Song with his threats as usual. But Xue Song didn't even bother to reply, his breath was more precious than this low-life scum. Only he knew how evil he was and how many lives he had ruined.

He would have killed him if it wasn't for his connections.

He kicked away his walking stick and walked past him, entering the storage shed and finding a kerosene can and a matchbox there.

Upon seeing him with these, the old man felt a chill through his spine. He was in no condition to move. Was this brat going to kill him? How did he get so much courage suddenly? He used to cower in fear at his mere angry tone.

He shook his head, and his heart beat faster, but to his surprise, Xue Song wasn't so interested in revenge. But these herbs were soaked in his sweat and blood. This old scum can't have it.

He plucked out a few herbs and put them in his mouth before pouring kerosene all over the herbs and setting them on fire. The old man's eyes widened. His expression grim.

"Huh? You brat, do you even know what you have done? How will we eat this year if you burn the crops? And did you just eat those herbs? Those are for cultivators. Mortals like you would die instantly if they ate them... don't tell me you..."

Too much developement happened so suddenly that the old man's head started spinning. Soon the fire spread to all the crops, emitting a pungent smell as they burned. Making the heat even more intense.

Satisfied with this, Xue Song chewed on the herbs in his mouth as he left the scene, not even bothering to pick up his things from the shed.

He wanted to start a new beginning. Old stuff could hamper his progress, or so he believed. It's not like he had anything of value anyway. He kept walking slowly, trying to remember the way out of the village.

"This tastes like crap," he mused to himself.

This world had five huge chunks of land known as continents: Eastern Continent, Western Continent, Southern Continent, Northern Continent, and Central Continent. Out of these five, humans live only on the Eastern, Western, and Central Continents, while the remaining Northern and Southern Continents are reserved for non-human races as per the peace treaty that ended the 100-year chaotic war.

In the human continents, the Central Continent is the strongest and most prosperous, controlled by elite cultivators. Despite being smaller in size, 70% of its inhabitants are cultivators, while the remaining 30% mortals are for lowly jobs and servants. In the Eastern and Northern Continents, most people are mortals having no talent for cultivation except for the ruling class set up by the Central Continent itself.

This means these continents are colonized by the Central Continent, an arrangement hated by many, but they can't do anything about it. Mortals are like ants in front of cultivators; they can be squashed in an instant.

However, even the mighty cultivators are no less than cockroaches when compared to the true elites of this world: the immortals.

Xue Song walked leisurely, soothing his eyes with the homely village scenery.

In the heart of a lush valley nestled between two towering mountain ranges lies the village of Mu Kai. This tranquil settlement is a minuscule part of this vast cultivation world.

The air is fragrant with the scent of blooming wildflowers and fresh pine. Crystal-clear streams, fed by the pure waters cascading from the canals, meander through the village, providing both sustenance and serenity to its inhabitants.

Wooden cottages with thatched roofs are adorned with ivy and morning glories, their gardens bursting with vibrant herbs and flowers used for both cooking and simple potions. Stone pathways, lined with glowing lanterns that light up with a soft, ethereal glow at dusk, connect the homes and communal areas.

He kept walking, ignoring the curious gazes of the people, finally reaching the borders. A few horse carriages stood there in hopes of getting some business, should a farmer want to transport his yields to the cities.

Xue Song examined each of them before selecting the most run-down carriage. Since he was broke, he couldn't afford anything fancy.

He went up to the sleeping coachman and woke him up with a nudge.

"Take me to the nearest city." He demanded.

Chapter 3: breaking through mortality
Chu Kang was sleeping inside his carriage; it was too hot outside, and he didn't think he would get a passenger. His horse was also stand-sleep.

But alas, a certain someone disturbed his sleep, making him squint his eyes.

"Take me to the nearest city."

Chu Kang looked at this freak: a frail body with sunken cheeks, dressed in ragged robes, not a shoe in sight. What was it that this beggar wanted from him? Take him to the city? For what? He was very confused.

"You... You work at that gambler gook's farm, don't you? Is his harvest ready for sale already?" His first thought was that he was asked by that old scum to call a carriage to transport his yield.

"Nope, those harvests will not be ready this year." Xue Song rolled his eyes. "It's just me who's going."

Chu Kang looked at his face, confused. The harvest wouldn't be ready this year? He wants to go alone? Did this idiot disturb his sleep to play a prank? But this particular youth was known in the village for being quiet and minding his own business.

"Three gold coins for Port City; that's the nearest from here," he said, wanting to end this joke quickly. There was no way this beggar would have three gold coins.

"Upfront?" Xue Song raised his brows. It was troublesome. He didn't want to stay in this village longer than he already had. There was a high chance that old scum could send someone after him.

"Yeah..." Chu Kang smiled to himself, feeling amused at his reaction.

Xue Song smiled bitterly. If possible, he didn't want to do this. He now had only two options: one, procure three gold coins somehow as fast as possible, which was impossible to do in this poor farming village where most people used the barter system for trade. The second option was to walk to the city, which might take weeks, and he would definitely die of dehydration in this heat.

"How about I pay after you take me there?" Xue Song asked just in case.

"Not possible. I have a no-trust policy for such matters," Chu Kang said, putting his head down again and going back to sleep. If this boy wasn't the most miserable in the village, he would have scolded him a bit. But knowing how that gambler treated him, he didn't bother.

Xue Song was pissed as he sat down right there on the ground, going into a lotus position. If both his options were invalid, he would have to think out of the box. He began cultivating.

Cultivation is the art of harvesting the essence of life, qi, and manipulating, mutating, controlling, amplifying, or altering it according to your will. Not everyone can do it. Only those with innate talent by birth are able to even try. These are called cultivators.

This talent is also not equal among all. Some people have high-tier talent, others low-tier. Generally, it's ranked on a scale of 1-5. But with the right procedure or relics, one can improve their talent to some extent; similarly, injuries or damages during cultivation or battles can reduce one's talent significantly.

Xue Song had 3rd-grade talent. Not too high, neither too low. In his previous life, he didn't know about his talents until he was 17. He only found out when he tried to commit suicide by eating the spiritual herbs that he grew like a slave.

Finding out whether you have cultivation talent or not is very expensive, and the chances are so low that most mortals don't bother. It's like winning a lottery ticket, but the tickets are three times your monthly wages.

The herbs he ate didn't kill him, giving him new hope at life, but to be honest, he was very late by then. His peers were already ahead of him, nor did he have anyone to guide him in this village. What ended up happening was that the old man sold him to a royal recruiter for a fortune.

Despite having talent, he couldn't do anything about it. Having talent is like being a seedling. The higher the grade, the better the quality of the seed. But the seed itself is useless without knowing how to cultivate it and turn it into a tree. Without understanding what kind of seed you are, you can't control what kind of tree you will become.

Hence, in his last life, he was exploited without gaining any autonomy or power. It took him five years to reach the first realm, the Element Realm.

But in this life, he wasn't that pathetic. He had years of gathered knowledge and experience. Breaking through his mortal realm was child's play for him.

He closed his eyes, visualizing his inner core. Gathering all traces of qi flowing through his channels towards the core in his abdomen.

A 3rd-grade talent doesn't have that much qi in his body. But using the right technique and persistence, along with certain qi supplements like pills or potions, the mortal realm can be broken through in six to eight months.

But Xue Song didn't have that much time. Sweat flowed from his forehead as he sat in the blazing sun. If they didn't leave within an hour, the sun would set, wasting his whole day.

He kept cultivating. His core was spinning slowly as qi flooded inside from numerous channels. It was getting bigger; life essence was being sucked from all parts of his body, making his body weak. If he lost consciousness, he would have to restart again. His stomach was empty; his energy was about to run out.

"Persevere. Focus. Don't lose qi while transferring."

Xue had lost all connections with the outside world. No sense of time, heat, or sound. Not even realizing that Chu Kang, had long lost all his sleepiness and was staring blankly at him, sweating buckets. How was this slave cultivating? Was this real? He could feel jolts of qi overflowing from his stomach area.

"Fuck, I messed up. Who knows what he will do to me once he finishes. Is today my last day?"

In the colony continents, cultivators are a protected class. If they kill you, even for entertainment, you can't object. And don't you dare say no to them for anything. That much was common knowledge for mortals—a basis of their life at the bottom of the well. In this huge dog-eat-dog world.

He quickly got up and started pretending as if he was guarding Xue Song from being disturbed, shooing birds away.

Soon, other carriage men also noticed him, their eyes wide and jaws dropped. This was the first time they were seeing someone cultivate.

"Hey Chu Kang, what the hell is happening? Isn't this the Gook's boy? He was a cultivator?"

"I don't know, it seems that way to me. If it's true, then that Gook will surely die a miserable death. Seeing how cruel he has been to this boy, just pray he spares us for not standing up for him."

"Not only us, the whole village was silent. If this guy breaks through, there will be carnage. Why not ask everyone to evacuate?"

"Idiot. How will we run from a cultivator? Even if we did, the king would send his army for crimes against the elite class."

They whispered quietly, scared but thrilled at the sight. Xue Song was emitting quite an aura now. He was almost there.

The carriage men and a few more villagers who came to know about this situation made a circle around him, ready to beg for mercy the moment he opened his eyes. Yet they made sure to stand about six meters away from him, should any accident occurred, they didn't want to be caught up in it.

An hour passed. Xue Song's inner core was overflowing with qi. He focused and fixed the cracks, making the tension rise inside. Slowly the core expanded. His whole body was hurting—a few more seconds.

"1, 2, 3," he counted. At the count of 9, his core burst open, spreading the newly cultivated elementary realm qi all over his body channels.

Soon his body began transforming. His sunken eyes raised up again. His muscles slowly gained mass. His hair grew by an inch. His height also increased by a few inches. He was looking much healthier now thanks to improved life essence.

Slowly he opened his eyes looking at the sky. His previously brown eyes, now lighter in colour.
He was no longer a mortal, becoming a cultivator. The elite of this world. A feat that took years in his previous life achived within an hour. Thanks to his rebirth

"Heh... I succeeded." He exclaimed.

Hence, once a Celestial Realm expert, Xue Song, once again reached the Elementary Realm.

Chapter 4 - Arrival At Port City
Xue Song looked around; he was surrounded by a group of villagers with vivid expressions. Some showed pure fear while others were bewildered at encountering a real cultivator. Some wanted to ask questions while others wanted nothing more than to make a run for it.

But not one uttered a sound. The air was tense.

Xue Song's expression showed indifference. His eyes were cold and icy.

Everyone gulped as Xue Song suddenly got up, wiping sweat off his face.

"So." He looked at Chu Kang. "Shall we leave now?" He raised his left eyebrow in a threatening manner.

Chu Kang immediately nodded. "Y-yes, we can leave. I am sorry for my rudeness earlier..."

He hurriedly waved his hands, making way for Xue Song as the villagers stepped aside.

"This way, please..."

Xue Song didn't say anything, just went and sat in the carriage, finally getting some shade.

"I am going to have a nap in here. Make sure the carriage doesn't shake too much."

"Yes, sir. Understood."

Chu Kang cursed him in his mind. Whether the carriage would shake or not depended on the road, not the driver. But he didn't dare say anything.

With a flick of the reins, the carriage began moving, leaving behind the bewildered faces of the villagers, who wondered what had just happened.

The path to the port city was not complicated; Chu Kang regularly went there. However, it was already evening, and having a cultivator as his passenger put too much pressure on him. Never mind the fact that he definitely wouldn't be paid for this trip. He cursed himself in his heart.

"How long till we reach there?" Xue Song's voice pulled him back to reality.

"By morning at the earliest, S-Sir!" he stammered.

Xue Song closed his eyes once again. His body rocked sideways with the carriage. He strained his mind to recall what was going on around this time in his previous life. Was there any major event happening that he could take advantage of? Any auction or tournament?

But nothing came to mind. He hadn't left the village by this time in his previous life. Of course, he was clueless.

"Oh well. I just have to reach the Central continent somehow."

The Central continent was where the real game began. He wouldn't learn anything hanging out with mortals. But traveling between continents isn't that easy. One has to cross vast oceans that span millions of li. Not to mention the monsters and pirates that lay in the path.
But the most difficult challenge is to find the correct path. Finding the a continent in the vast oceans is practically impossible if you don't excel in the information path. And money to fund the years-long journey adds a cherry on top.

In simple terms, you can't go there unless you have a Mystic realm expert with you. Or you are one yourself.

The carriage reduced its speed when the sun set. Chu Kang activated a light path relic to illuminate the path.

But being a cheap rip-off that he could afford, it didn't do much to help.

Relics are basically devices crafted by cultivators to mimic their talents. The art of cultivation is so vast that not everyone can learn it fully. That's why most people focus on particular paths like fire path, water path, information path, soul path, earth path, and strength path.

Relics enable one to use a particular technique of its creator's cultivation, no matter which path the user cultivates. And since relics are powered by essence stones, they can be used by even mortals.

With a loud sound, the horses neighed as the carriage suddenly stopped in it's tracks, making Xue Song's head clash into the metal plate behind him.

"Ouch!" He made a face. "The hell are you doing..."

"S-sorry, sir, but someone is blocking the path."

"Huh?" Xue Song looked outside, thinking some bandits were out ambushing. But to his surprise, he saw the figure of a man standing tall in front of the carriage, his surroundings alight with the fireball raging from his hands.

His body was jacked from head to toe, dressed in red robes. His face looked red due to the color of the fire.

"A cultivator? A fire path user... Go ask him what he wants," Xue Song said nonchalantly, asking Chu Kang to test the waters.

"But... I... what if he kills me? Sir, I have a family waiting for me at home," he said, his voice barely audible. It wasn't rare for cultivators to kill mortals just for looking at them. Even if this stranger didn't kill him, Xue Song might for talking back to him. This was the reason mortals avoided interaction with cultivators at all costs.

"Don't worry, there is no killing intent coming from him. The fire is for illumination." Xue Song tried to console him. Even though cultivators can sense killing intent from their enemies, this cultivator was definitely his senior, meaning he could hide it from him if he wanted. But Xue Song didn't fuss over this tiny detail.

"But... I..."

"Good evening, gentlemen." Before Chu Kang could voice a protest, the stranger had already reached the carriage door. Xue Song was shocked at this. When did he move from his place?

"Good evening. I didn't think I would meet a cultivator at this time of the day. You need a lift, if I am correct?"

Xue Song kept his face straight, not showing any emotions. Even though he felt intimidated by his presence, he wasn't trying to hide his cultivation level at all.

"Lift? On this thing? Haha." He chuckled. "I will be faster than it on my feet. What I am looking for is a rogue cultivator. Have you seen someone suspicious walking around?"

In colony continents, any cultivator who seeks autonomy without being interfered with by the guild is termed a rogue cultivator. They are hunted down and killed.

"No, I don't think I saw anyone like that."

Xue Song said after a fake pause, pretending to think. Even if he had seen someone, he wouldn't tell him. Since in his previous life, he himself was being hunted like that.

The stranger didn't look disappointed, probably expecting this answer. He was busy taking a thorough look at Xue Song, memorizing his face.

"Too bad. By the way, it's my first time seeing you. What's your name? How long have you been a cultivator?"

"I just reached elementary realm this afternoon. Name is Xue Song. Nice meeting you..."

Xue Song greeted him, cursing his luck. He had already been noticed by a realm spirit realm cultivator. It might cause some problems for him.

"Xue Song, huh? Be sure to register yourself with the guild, or I will have to hunt you down as well. Fe Fan from rogue patrol..."

He said with a smile. It wasn't a threat. Generally, even if you are a rogue cultivator, if you don't do something to piss off some important person, you won't be hunted. Especially if you are in the elementary realm. Those are the lowest frogs in the well.

"Yeah, I will make a point of that," Xue Song said, waving at Chu Kang to move the carriage forward.

Chu Kang was in frozen chills throughout all this interaction. Being a mortal, Fe Fan ignored his presence. Now, finally after being ordered, he snapped back to reality and jerked the reins.

The carriage moved forward, leaving Fe Fan behind. A loud sigh of relief was heard after he was out of sight. And a quieter one right after it.

The carriage moved without a break throughout the night as they finally reached the port city by morning.

Xue Song peered out of the carriage window as it trundled into the bustling city. Just like the name suggested, this city was famous for its trade ports and ship harbors. The sun hung low in the sky, casting a golden hue over the landscape. The cobblestone streets were alive with activity, filled with merchants hawking their wares, from exotic spices to intricately woven silks. The aroma of freshly grilled skewers mingled with the salty tang of the sea, creating a heady, inviting scent.

The buildings, a mix of stone structures and newer wooden shops, were adorned with brightly colored lanterns that swayed gently in the breeze. Intricate carvings of dragons decorated the eaves, hinting at the rich history and deep-seated traditions of the city. Stalls lined the streets, their canopies fluttering as vendors shouted out prices and bargains.

Beyond the market, the expansive harbor came into view, a forest of masts and sails bobbing on the glittering water. Ships of all sizes were docked, from small fishing boats to grand junks with crimson sails. Seagulls cawed overhead, diving and wheeling against the backdrop of a brilliant blue sky.

As the carriage slowed to a halt, Xue Song could hear the laughter of children playing near the docks, their carefree joy a sharp contrast to the focused intensity of the dockworkers. The city's energy was palpable, a vibrant pulse that seemed to synchronize with the rhythm of the waves crashing against the pier.

Xue Song took a deep breath, the air filled with salt. Finally, he was back here once again.

Chu Kang stopped the carriage in front of a pawn shop as he was commanded and sighed in relief. Finally, Xue Song was getting off his carriage, and now he could rest in peace. Not having slept a wink last night, he was beyond tired. But to his horror, Xue Song asked him to wait outside for him.

"Okay, understood." He said with a rock on his heart. What was it that this brat wanted from him? Would he have to stick with him even longer?

Xue Song looked at the pawn shop. It was small but neatly decorated. The wooden sign on the stop was drawn with beautiful calligraphy.

He opened the door, making the bell ring. Inside, a middle-aged man with wooden glasses was sitting, smoking his pipe. Upon seeing Xue Song, he was annoyed, since to him, he looked like a beggar boy who was there to bother him. However, soon he felt his elementary realm aura and adjusted his expression accordingly.

"Welcome to my humble shop, lord. How can I be of use?"

He said this in an automatic voice he reserved for important customers, still wondering why this cultivator looked like that.

Xue Song went to the counter and tapped its wooden surface with his fingertip.

"Give me a loan." His eyes darted around at all the relics and antiques that decorated the walls of the shop. These things were up for sale; they were pawned goods from customers who had failed to pay back the money.

"I am sorry, lord, but my humble business doesn't have any essence stones to loan. I'm afraid you would have to use the valid loan channel, which is the guild's bank."

The shop owner wasn't as afraid of Xue Song as Chu Kang. Not only did he see cultivators on a regular basis, being in a big city, but he had also made protection deals with some low-realm cultivators.

He also paid protection money to the guild so his shop wouldn't be robbed by them.

"Who said anything about essence stones? Give me 50 gold coins. I need to make a payment."

The shopkeeper was confused. Why would any cultivator want payment in gold coins, which are mortal currency? And if he had to pay a mortal, why pay at all, especially by taking a loan? Was he one of those morality freaks?

"Sure. Please give me a moment." He didn't ask anything further. Being a mortal, it wasn't his place to ask unnecessary questions. Giving loans was his job. "Um, is there anything you want to keep as collateral?"

It was a pawn shop, after all. Taking collateral was the whole point.

"No," Xue Song shook his head.

"No problem, lord. Your cultivator status is the biggest security. Please count them if you wish." He handed him a pouch full of gold coins and smiled, knowing full well he wouldn't see this money again. And he couldn't complain to the guild for a measly 50 gold coins.

Xue Song took the pouch and weighed it to make sure it was the right amount.

"How much is the interest?" Xue Song asked casually while turning back.

"While the lord doesn't need to pay any interest, for mortals, it's 10% monthly."

"I see." Xue Song opened the door and exited the shop. The shop owner relit his pipe and rolled his eyes. Feeling pissed, even this brat has higher authority than himself, a rich businessman. This world was truly unfair.

Chu Kang, who was waiting for Xue Song to come out, sighed again on seeing Xue Song approaching his carriage. But to his surprise, Xue Song pulled out 10 gold coins and handed them to him.

"You can leave now. Keep the extra as a bonus."

Chu Kang's eyes shone with a strange light. He didn't expect to be paid more than three times his fair amount, no less from a cultivator.

However, before he could thank him, Xue Song was out of his view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back