1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Robot Wars Anew (Crossover)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Zarori, Oct 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. veekie

veekie Connoisseur.

[X]Plan: Phone Home and Valkyries
    Transform to mech mode!

2. andrei

andrei I trust you know where the happy button is?

I want to go to unknown space

3. Threadmarks: Turn 3: Results
    Zarori

Zarori The Untrustworthy Author

Plan: Phone Home and Valkyries has won . . . and immediately been interrupted by crits.

Lesson 1: The Plane is a Robot
    DC30: 56 +8 Martial +3 Ace Combat = 67
    Success

At this point, it's pretty obvious that a lot of your hopes for an emergency rest on Skull Squadron's shoulders. As half the ship watches the entire flight of five Valkyries dogfight and smoothly transform into various shapes, the whole group quickly turning into mini-celebrities to the mobs of children on-board. Heck, you even heard a rumor that Pilot Ichijyo was seen having a cozy meal with Miss Minmay in the cockpit of his fighter . . . which you should probably yell at him for later, since food getting in plane controls was likely a bad idea.

Maybe you'd show mercy as long as he kept doing crazy stunt-piloting tricks that let him keep up with Lieutenant Fokker. Hell, the other two pilots (A man named Ben, and a little girl whose name currently escaped you) were quickly learning to keep up as well. They were clearly a tier behind the others, but still at the very least on-par with most Feddie pilots. Hopefully with pilots this good you wouldn't need to strap any children into those moving coffins you called Armored Troopers in an actual combat situation.

Results: All 5 members of Skull Squadron are now completely comfortable with Variable Fighter technology, granting them slightly better combat stats with their Valkyries. Combat scenes with them will probably be super flashy and cool!

Zor's Gift
    DC70: 32 +6 Stewardship = 38
    Failure

Results: Unfortunately, most resources and attention went to the communications and sensor systems, so no progress was made on investigating the Infirmary's systems.

Wait, Are Those New Mobile Suits?!
    DC20/50/80: 48 +6 Learning = 54
    Success

"Alright, what do you have for us?"

Today's meeting was a bit different than normal. Instead of a full meeting of the command staff, it was a meeting primarily for the combat staff. In this case it was yourself, Skull Squadron, Claudia, and Uribatake to go over what he'd managed to pull together from examining the Variable Fighter technology. The older man was practically vibrating in place as he pulled up a wave of technical documents.

"These Variable Fighters are so *cool*! You see, there's always been limitations in our mobile weapons that made things inconvenient in various situations. Knightmare Frames are extremely mobile, but basically stuck to the ground. Mobile Suits, despite being the apparent next step up in tech, are really more of a space-centric thing. That's where they are the most mobile. The less to be said about old planes and Armored Troopers the better. These though?"

He slapped his hand on the table with a gleam in his eyes.

"These are the best! The Variable Fighter might not be as beefy or heavily armored as other types of mobile weapons, but they are absolutely the fastest around. Their ability to transform using this robotechnology-" "What? We're not calling it tha-" "ROBOTECHNOLOGY, gives them unparalleled versatility! Sure they require different skill sets than normal mobile weapons, but that just makes them ACE MATERIAL! Hell, they're capable of independent atmospheric re-entry, and cover the gap between land, air, and space mobile weapons. And best of all, *I* know how to make them!"

The man let out a loud cackle, before you cut him off by throwing a shoe at his face. No mad scientist habits on board your ship, damnit! Raising a finger you pointed at the man, causing him to gulp.

"Stay on target. Explain."

"Err-right. Yeah. Even without the full technical documents from the actual factories, the combination of the repair docs and being able to examine the Valkyries up-close pretty much gave me everything I need. Combined with ready access to the source of Robotechnology, and if we had people ready to do the part manufacturing, my boys could design and assemble new Valkyries for you no problem. We don't have any prototype designs yet obviously, but OH WAIT THATS NOT EVEN THE BEST PART!"

Swapping focus on a dime, he pulled up a view of the SDF-1 on the main screen, before adjusting it to show a wireframe model. With a wide grin on his face he reached down to trace his fingers along the image, pulling it apart . . . no wait, he wasn't pulling it apart. He was shifting parts of-

"Oh you've got to be kidding me!" Rick exclaimed, while the blonde girl (Rita! That's what her name was!) gaped at the image of the Macross itself transforming.

"That's right, the whole-ass ship can transform into a giant goddamn robot! That's why we call it Robotechnology! I even found a big stonkin' space gun system we should be able to make use of if we got to stop a colony drop or blow away a fleet or something. Isn't that fucking *SWEET*!?"

You could only drop your head into your palms, as Claudia sobbed.

"Oh lord we have an anti-colony death laser."

Results: Great success! Uribatake's understanding of the newly named [Robotechnology] has increased, meaning he can now research and design new Variable Fighters. He also discovered that the Macross is actually a giant goddamn Robot, with an 'anti-colony death laser' for a main weapon. That's functional.

Houston, We Have So Many Problems
    DC60/70/80: 70 +5 Diplomacy +5 Synergy = 80
    The Telephone Game
    DC40: 93 +6 Learning +5 Synergy = 104
    Hey, Listen!
    DC???: 95 +It doesn't matter you crit.
    An obscene series of crits and successes.

"Come in, Earth Federation forces. Can you read me?"

"Earth colonies, Energy Fleet, anyone can you hear us? Please respond."

Uribatake and his boys were on a roll, essentially having nonstop successes. More kids were looking into mechanics and engineering as a career path it seemed, as he restored more and more systems. First the inter-ship signal was strengthened and people were able to watch what media had been brought onto the ship anywhere. Then the medium-range sensors were restored. Then the comms! Finally, the Macross had full long-ranged communications re-established! Now your Bridge Bunnies (You were totally keeping the term) were trying to re-establish contact with any faction of Humanity they could.

You however, were suffering from a rather persistent migraine. Due to your unique physiology you couldn't exactly take handfuls of painkillers under normal circumstances, so you were just dealing with it for the time being. It honestly just felt like something was hammering at your head, and rather incessantly at th-

"Hey, listen!"

Then, with a feeling of something breaking, you fell out of your body and into the stars. Colors swirled, space roiled, and you felt yourself pulled far away from your body.

"Oh! Oh! You listened!"

Was this what people like Amuro and Char experienced? Your mind and soul reaching out across time and space to connect with someone else. As you turned your focus towards the being that contacted you, details became clearer. She was feminine in shape, at least by human standards, with a similarly cute voice. Her entire body was a faint shade of blue, and semi-sheer as she bobbed up and down in this weird pseudo-space. Rather than wearing clothing, part of her body extended out like lace, and then a jellyfish-like bulb rather than a full skirt.

[​IMG]

"Hey, you gotta listen to me, alright?"

"Who are you?" No seriously, who the heck was this cute alien slime girl? Unfortunately this breakthrough with your Newtype abilities didn't stop the pain you were in, so you weren't sure how long you could keep contact. After a look from the alien, she seemed to understand and nod sadly.

"I understand, you're not ready yet. Okay, I am Undine!"

And oh god that did not help! That name was packed full of just . . . raw data, in the most painful way. Your brain just sort-of abbreviated it to Undine, but you knew there was more in there to parse.

"I don't know how you ended up in this sector, but you've been a little bit noisy lately, so you're kinda in trouble!"

Oh fuck. The connection was quickly becoming strained and deteriorating, after the initial burst of psychic power made the connection.

"Who is looking for me?!"

"Them! The naughty ones! They've already sent a-"

"Captain! We have a contact, coming directly towards us! It's not a Federation ship or a mobile suit . . . I don't know what it is!"

With a snap you were released back to your mortal shell, the migraine fading away as you shot to your feet to take a closer look at the readouts. There was an unknown energy signature closing in from an extreme distance. Normally you might wait and be conservative, but after that psychic event you weren't inclined to wait around.

"Everyone go to red alert. Have the kids take cover in designated safe zones. I know we haven't had time to practice them, but we have to be prepared for possible hostiles. Get Skull Squadron ready to fly, and have the Armored Troopers loaded up and prepared just in case."

As the sensors pulled in long-ranged telemetry, the entity slowly appeared on-screen, much to the discomfort of everyone on the bridge.

[​IMG]

"Oh gross." "Nope, all of my nope." "I want none of that!"

It was a large mix between organic and mechanical, shaped like some kind of nightmare bug. Underneath a metallic carapace hung all sorts of limbs and manipulators, studded with what looked like eldritch weaponry. Instead of a head it had some sort of ringed maw with that unknown energy source glowing within. Claudia suddenly flinched, before looking up from her monitor.

"Ma'am, whatever that is, it's Fold-capable. The reason we didn't detect it until now was that it folded into local space, then started making a beeline for us."

"Shit, does that mean it can follow us?"

"It might be able to? There's no way to know for certain without seeing it happen."

Fuck all kinds of duck.

Due to the wildly successful repair work you were able to detect an unknown (and partially mechanical) lifeform heading towards the SDF-1. A being known as Undine simultaneously reached out to your Newtype abilities and warned you that it was sent by something or someone 'naughty', which you are taking to mean hostile. What do?

[ ] "Launch Skull Squadron and turn us about! We're taking it down before it gets to us." Attack the entity with Skull Squadron, while the SDF-1 (and it's civilians) stay at extreme range.

[ ] "Prepare for an immediate Fold back to Earth." Fuck-off back to Earth. Note: The entity might be able to follow you back to Earth, which could be good or bad.

[ ] "Oh crap it's happening again." The Macross would like to initiate an Emergency Space Fold to an unknown location.

There is no negotiation or peaceful first contact option due to cute slime girl interference. This is a good thing.

4. veekie

veekie Connoisseur.

[X] "Oh crap it's happening again." The Macross would like to initiate an Emergency Space Fold to an unknown location.

Nigerundayo

5. Zarori

For reference, the bug-like entity is mobile armor-sized, not battleship-sized or mobile suit-sized.

6. Zer0b3n

Zer0b3n Getting sticky.

i mean mobile armor sized is a wide range also yeah saw this happening soon

7. mechlionzet

mechlionzet Birb Shipping Expert

There are a couple of choices that interest me and then there's one I'm flat out against.

[ ] "Launch Skull Squadron and turn us about! We're taking it down before it gets to us." Attack the entity with Skull Squadron, while the SDF-1 (and it's civilians) stay at extreme range.

Part of me wants to do this option. If only to figure out what the assailant is capable of. However, I will admit that the ship probably isn't ready for an unknown contact. Against anything back around Earth, the ship would wreck face.

[ ] "Prepare for an immediate Fold back to Earth." Fuck-off back to Earth. Note: The entity might be able to follow you back to Earth, which could be good or bad.

This is the one I'm against. There's already BS going on back home, there's no need to potentially drag and unknown alien contact back to that cluster flop. The average person on Earth doesn't deserve that on top of everything else.

[ ] "Oh crap it's happening again." The Macross would like to initiate an Emergency Space Fold to an unknown location.

This is the safe-ish option. Blind Fold Jumps are a bit crazy, though.

Eh, I guess I'll have to go with veekie on this one.

[X] "Oh crap it's happening again." The Macross would like to initiate an Emergency Space Fold to an unknown location.

8. Zarori

So brave! Wow! Very Gryffindor!

mechlionzet likes this.
  9. Zer0b3n

Zer0b3n Getting sticky.

also i blame these rolls on your dice mech

10. mechlionzet

Even when my dice aren't involved, it would seem

11. Threadmarks: Pursuit 1
    Zarori

Huh, surprise, I have time on Saturday morning somehow. Guess we'll set-up the first combat early after all!

"Captain, the ship is doing the thing again! The Fold System is activating on it's own, just like when we left Macross Island!"

With a quiet curse, you placed your hands on your console and interfaced with the Macross, quickly confirming the report. It seems like the ship's automated systems confirmed the presence of the bug-shaped entity (which it ominously labeled as a 'Pursuer') and immediately went for an emergency space fold. While you didn't like the idea of just fucking off to the middle of nowhere again, it meant the ship was ready to teleport now, while the Pursuer was seemingly out-of-range.

"All hands, prepare for emergency space fold!"

It wasn't even a hard choice. You trusted the ship's safety systems to keep you from folding directly into a star or something, and you really didn't want to risk combat if you didn't have to. This even had the bonus of not possibly leading aliens directly to Earth! As the systems activated, a bubble of superdimensional space surrounded the Macross before whisking it away to somewhere else.

Pursuer rolled: 72

When the Macross transitioned back to realspace, your bunnies immediately went to work gathering new telemetry and dealing with alarms and systems checks. It appeared that you'd landed on the outskirts of a fairly unassuming system. A single yellow star, only a handful of planets, none of them in the right range for human habitation.

"All pilots, stay on alert." You spoke over the comms, before frowning and adding: "In fact, Skull Squadron please launch. There's no telling if that thing will be able to follow us, but if it does then I want you out there and ready to engage."

"Yes ma'am. Skull Squadron, let's roll out."

A chorus of affirmatives sounded as the flight of five variable fighters launched from the Macross, taking up a tight formation as they began to slowly circle the ship. It proved to be a good idea when mere minutes later, the sensors (now actively looking for it) picked up anomalous readings deeper towards the system. A bubble of actinic green superdimensional energy appeared and popped, revealing the Pursuer you had fled from. The machine lit up with that same energy, turning on a dime and again flying straight for you.

"Skull Squadron, you have my permission to engage that thing and shoot it down. There's no earthly reason for it to be following us this much, and while I'd like to just leave, we can't make successive space folds without risking severely damaging the ship. Take it down, Roy."

It is time for the (still actually dangerous) tutorial battle, since you were sadly unable to flee from the appropriately named Pursuer. You don't currently have much information on the enemy, besides that it is bigger and seemingly slower than your valkyries, and almost certainly more heavily armored (and armed if that big hole is something like a mega particle cannon). So let's focus on your forces! You have three combat units right now (not counting the Armored Troopers and Macross).

Unit One: Roy Fokker in his custom Valkyrie.
    Unit Two: Max Jenius with Ben as his wingmate, in VF-1As.
    Unit Three: Hikaru Ichijyo with Rita as his wingmate, in VF-1As.

While you'll get more options in the future, for now all units are similarly armed with stock missiles and a Gatling Gunpod. Your units are at Long Range, and will need to close in to the enemy to make use of the gunpods, though long range missile bombardment is an option. Regardless, I'm not giving you choices here for the first fight.

[ ] Write-In

You're giving me a brief plan of action, with how to begin engaging the enemy. If you wish to break up the units or re-organize them, you can, but remember that Ben and Rita are explicitly not at the level of the others and won't be pulling any wacky tricks alone. Do remember that you're piloting valkyries, which are a bit more delicate and a lot faster than most types of mecha, so don't pilot them like Super Robots. If you wish to make use of the Macross somehow, or the Armored Troopers, you can but you'll be putting them at risk. It *seems* like the Pursuer's priority is going straight for the Macross, so it's your choice if you want to risk letting it get close.

Yukon Heavy, EYE, Fuckoff and 3 others like this.
  12. veekie

veekie Connoisseur.

[X] Maintain long range missile bombardment, close in only if it ignores the bombardment and keeps heading for the ship.

I'm thinking given the appearance, our plane/mechs don't want to get too close, since we got good ranged options but it looks like a nasty melee gribbly

mechlionzet likes this.
  13. mechlionzet

[X] Open with Stand-Off Missile Volley. Split into elements to strafe the target with Unit One going below elliptical on the target and Unit Two going above. Unit Three stays back to intercept with a second stand-off missile volley in case the strafing doesn't work. Keep mobile and out of melee. Macross should ready it's AA guns just in case the enemy gets close.

A bit more detailed than veekie, but the initial idea is sound. An opening stand-off missile salvo. However, a couple of strafing runs don't get too close and a unit held in reserve should the strafing not work would be a good bet. I may have missed whether the later was still out of commission or not, but the Macross has auxiliary missile emplacements beyond its usual anti-ship missile complement that could be used for intercept.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    veekie likes this.
  14. Marlin

Marlin wishing to read another story deleted for profit

[X] Open with Stand-Off Missile Volley. Split into elements to strafe the target with Unit One going below elliptical on the target and Unit Two going above. Unit Three stays back to intercept with a second stand-off missile volley in case the strafing doesn't work. Keep mobile and out of melee. Macross should ready it's AA guns just in case the enemy gets close.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  15. Zarori

Friendly reminder: As was stated in several options, the Macross currently has no usable missile launchers, despite it's absolute wealth of missiles. It's got close-ranged AA guns galore, a buncha AT's that could carry bazookas I guess, two of those main railguns . . . and the Macross Cannon.

mechlionzet likes this.
  16. mechlionzet

I have edited my vote in light of this.

17. Zer0b3n

Zer0b3n Getting sticky.

something feel wrong with not being able to do a proper macross missile massacre

mechlionzet likes this.
  18. Zarori

I've always felt a proper, effective Itano Circus needs to be done in closer range to limit dodging/etc. Don't worry, I'll give you research options that equate to "Put more missile launchers on our planes". *Thumbs up*

19. veekie

veekie Connoisseur.

Probably need to figure out restocking those missiles too.

20. mechlionzet

Just to warn you, I changed my vote a while ago since the aux missile emplacements are still out.

21. andrei

andrei I trust you know where the happy button is?

Please don't die