1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Herod [Original]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Biigoh, Dec 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Over in Sufficient Velocity, they're doing a christmas writing contest, and due to being one of the judges, I'm not allowed to enter.

So, I got to thinking on the entry... and since I'm been know to dabble in writing, I figured why not do a bit of writing for the contest even if I'm not eligible for it.

In that spirit, enjoy my entry. I call it "The Herod".

The entry itself is 250 words, hits christmasy thing... for a given value of such. Go check out the bible ( Matthew 2:1-2:23 ) on who Herod was. :3

- - - Please wait warmly. Tanuki are typing - - -​

He polished the blade of his weapon, its surface reflecting the glaring white chem lights of the waiting room. The edges were keen and sharp with no nicks to be found.

His was an ancient position, created in antiquity, across the ocean of time upon the distant shores of the World That Was. One might call it ceremonial. Save that once in every three hundred sixty five and a quarter day, he would be called upon by the Old Men in the House upon Parliament Hill to do a task most distasteful.

By his hands, the Young King of the Elder Days would not return.

His tools were simple; a sword, a spiritual mass tracker and the census. And so, he waited in the hospital waiting room for that sound, that ancient cry of new life.

It came, as he knew it would.

"It is a boy." The nurse dutifully informed him.

He nodded his thanks at her and entered the delivery room slowly, dreading his duty.

He lifted the baby from the mother's arms and looked him in the eye, before he closed his with a sigh. "He has your eyes."

There was a wane smile from the mother as she shook her head. There was no reaction from the crown that hung on a necklace, the spiritual mass tracker.

The baby was just another baby, induced into birth before the foretold day.

On this day, he was not the Herod. He was simply a father with his son.