• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

The Saga of James Stormcaller [Harry Potter AU]

To be honest, Grindelwald or Voldemort could easily kill Yavanna; they would have to run away very fast afterward, as killing something like that has side-effects

Would the side effects destroy England? Or is it like whoever did kill Yavanna would be smote by lightning or something like that?

Ever seen Princess Mononoke?

If yes, basically the last 30 minutes of that movie, but only half as bad -- not that it's much of a distinction.

So I just watched the last 30 mins, and wow that's pretty bad.

So if a spirit of compassion is killed, I guess that compassion turns into Hatred/wrath. Is it Gaia that enacts punishment or is it something else?

So I just watched the last 30 mins, and wow that's pretty bad.

So if a spirit of compassion is killed, I guess that compassion turns into Hatred/wrath. Is it Gaia that enacts punishment or is it something else?
It's the Spirit being twisted into something it wasn't supposed to be that does it -- that is, dead in the classical sense; Sprits aren't supposed to die, they fade, as lightly touched on in Chapter 3, Book 1.

Gaia herself... it's complicated, and gets discussed in the story at a certain point. The simplest I can put it is this: look around you. It's all alive.

And if it lives, does it think?

Given that in a mystical sense all things carry weight, I think I may grasp why Flamel said the statute and the total separation of magical and not was a horrible mistake. It has little to do with any sort of egalitarianism and everything to do with wisdom of the ages, and being able to see what's happening with the rest of the world.

The spiritual weight of the Moon Landing? Probably pretty significant, even though we don't see it. Us never going back is probably rooted in the various ministries of the world making sure of it. The nuking of Hiroshima and Nagisaki? Far beyond the merely material horror, the spiritual impact was probably literally world-shaking and equally terrible, and probably served as a wakeup call to magicals everywhere that everything was changing. Countless other acts would also qualify.

The hiding and cordoning-off of the magical world probably had the effect of unchaining the nonmagical one, and since nothing happens in a vacuum that's certainly had massive implications on things. Sure, individuals gripe about car exhaust and litter, purebloods roll their eyes and consider everyone but them no more than animals, and magical governments play the see, hear and speak no evil game.

Meanwhile people like Unspeakables and such, old magicals like Flamel and Dumbles, and ancient powers like the fae royals and dragons are trying to ring alarm bells and meeting nothing but stupidity, indecision, status-quo worship, and silence.

I get vibes of White Wolf and the World of Darkness. Humans are the Weavers Chosen, the Wyrm went mad trying to stop it, and the Wyld's chosen were too blind, insular and isolated to notice until it was too late.

So I was re-reading the chapter that Wyne arrives at the walnut court, and it mentions how Wyne saw golden light in both the plants and the fairy's, specifically in the fairy's eyes. Did the whole land and inhabitants of the walnut court get blessed because of Elysium showing up in the ritual James did there?

Did the whole land and inhabitants of the walnut court get blessed because of Elysium showing up in the ritual James did there?
In the same way that the Silver Tree of Babel infuses the area around it in silver light, Yavanna, as an Avatar of Nature, infuses the world around her with whatever magic she can gather from the environment. As she was present for the opening of a Gate to Elysium, Yavanna spread the purifying power of that Plane throughout the land.

As for why everyone in Rivendell and Walnut Manor have a gold tinge to their eyes... anyone who witnessed the ritual now have a blessing on them, yes. Though, while the case of Yavanna gets explained by James during the early parts of the story, the blessing doesn't get brought up until Book 4, so I won't be spoiling those details at the moment.

Sadly, it might be awhile before I finish the next chapter; a power out ended up deleting 3000 words out of the chapter. Honestly, I'm going to try writing the whole thing -- minus the historic entry -- from scratch, as I'm not exactly satisfied with what didn't get deleted. Hopefully it won't be too long before the next update, but until then....

*returns to writing*

PS: Look at my profile pic. Hermione is going to make herself some 'little helpers' during the next chapter. Thoughts? (no, this is not going to become a Hollow Knight crossover, I just like the design and think some bite-sized homunculi would be adorable in this setting)

Hermione is going to make herself some 'little helpers' during the next chapter. Thoughts?

That sounds like a great idea! Also, I can see Hermione wanting to challenge herself by making her own helper golem things, which I'm sure isn't exactly beginner-level magic lol. I think the design is cute, however, I'm interested in what her helpers would be used for. Reconnaissance? Maybe helping keep track of her books or research? Also could be used to fetch small things for her (quills, parchment, pens, and pencils maybe IDK). I really like the idea of Hermione not just being a regular witch, so any kind of unique thing (whether magic or knowledge or anything else really) makes her character so much more interesting to me, but that's my opinion. Most fics I read have harry being the "unique" one and Hermione just having her intelligence as her one defining trait. I'm glad you're building her character to be unique, which I think you talked about in another one of your posts (something about her not being a shaman, but using druidic magic and generally being a lot more knowledgeable and powerful than the average witch).

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the next chapter and all the shenanigans that will take place at Hogwarts (I can't wait to see some Malfoy smackdown if Draco isn't reformed or something lol).

So, shamanism in your story works kinda like an Avatar from the Avatar: Airbender? He is the literal reincarnation of the previous shamans? Like, the same soul but wiped clean with Fade? Or he is a Spiritual reincarnation aka he is carrying The Will, Knowledge, and Ideal of the shamans?

So, shamanism in your story works kinda like an Avatar from the Avatar: Airbender? He is the literal reincarnation of the previous shamans? Like, the same soul but wiped clean with Fade? Or he is a Spiritual reincarnation aka he is carrying The Will, Knowledge, and Ideal of the shamans?
It's based on some real-world descriptions of Shamans, where the living Shaman is capable of speaking with and learning from Shamans of the past.

There's more to it, but it's not something I want to discuss in the thread. I'd rather the story explain it further as it goes on.

ALSO, this comes very close to necroing the thread; so, everyone else: check the time stamp of the last post. If it's more than a month, PM the question. This is a thread I DO NOT want locked for any reason.

Speaking of which, next chapter should be done before the end of the week. No, that's not an April Fool's joke; fucking hate that "holiday".

So I was re-reading The Walnut Court and I realized something.

It seems like the black family is not going to be just racist people, at least according to Phineas Black's attitude towards Draco (also he preferred that James inherit the black family, even though he is a half-blood which I imagine would exclude him from that if Phineas cared about blood supremacy). Also, Phineas didn't express disdain or disgust when talking about Kefka, which if I remember correctly is a fire kitsune, but I might be wrong. It will be interesting to see if James has any interactions with other members of house black, or maybe some of the portraits.

I wonder if house black has any special or secret magic that James can learn. My theory is their secret magic (if that's a thing) involves the manipulation of darkness or shadows. Not evil, but magic on the darker side of the spectrum (if the concept of "dark but not evil" magic exists in this universe, I'm not sure if it was talked about before though, I can't remember). Also, I could see their magic being related to the concept of twilight maybe, or sort of "grey" magic that can't be classified as light or dark.

Anyways, kinda random but re-reading chapter 8 gave me a whole lot of stuff to think about. Really excited to learn more about any familial connections James has, though that's probably far in the future lol.

Looking forward to the new chapter :)

Harry reached for a bottle that was clearly labeled Water, and – after a furious whispered debate among the more well-travelled Shamans – selected a green liqueur labeled Chartreuse.

I really like this kind of thing. I can imagine a whole bunch of shamans sitting in a huge group debating the best drink for harry to choose (a bit dramatic but fun to think about). It's a strangely wholesome thing, that he has the other shamans he can turn to for advice about anything, even something as simple as what alcohol he should choose to drink. Sort of like having a group of grandparents who care about you just a thought away, literally. It's such a cool concept.

Book 2: Chapter 3 "Last Days of Summer"
A special ✨THANK YOU ✨ to all the glorious persons who help keep the writing alive:

Daose
Evilreadermaximum
SkyCaptain502
Anon
CementCANOE
FirstSelector
IG884HIRE
L. Williams
S. Onea
Xahn

Evan
ExaltedRequiem
Stealth Gorgon
Torlek85

ARB
Bart S
D. Ellis
Kyo Amamoto
Ethloc
J. Williams
M B
O. Kershner
P. Winter
S. Whyte
UrpshychoEX

Crash Collison
D. Carlson
fungame2
John
J. Scharfenberg
J. Whitfield
LazyDragon555
M. O'Hair
M. Oliver
necrolectric
noname
Nothorse
P. Fitzgerald
Polar Potato
stratum
Yon
J. Kongslie
[\|/]

9 August, 1991

Landlady said I should keep a journal, that writing in one should help organize and order my thoughts, so she gave me this nice leather-bound one to use.

Usually, I just order my thoughts when I sleep, or talk things over with Vera, but… well, this should also help with my handwriting, and get some of the clutter out of my head. Otherwise, I might start ranting in front of Wyne, and she might not understand.

As a Shaman, there's a lot of clutter up there, and I have a few worries about the future… but, anyway.

I grew up in the Mundane world, where everything is plastic cards and rushing noise; everything felt like a metal waterfall caked in sweet and salty, and all the more bland for it. I'm not sure that makes sense, but that's what the Mundane world feels like. Yes, there are wonders to be had, just like in the Magical world… but, I dunno. Something just feels off about how the Mundane world works; like they're trying to fill a void, one that they miss, but they're filling it with the wrong stuff.

Maybe I'll discuss it with Lady Lisa, bring up how it might be a knock-on effect of the Statute. There might even be some truth to it; after seeing Diagon Alley, it's tough to ignore.

The Magical world. Or, the British side of things, at least. It's both familiar and unusual, in many different ways.

Oh, people are still polite on the surface and rude when things don't go their way, same as it ever is and was, but… they still believe in classism and aristocracy! I looked up that whole "Noble and Ancient House" thing in the bookstore, and it turns out that a few families who joined King Arthur – who was a real person, apparently! – were magical Houses that remained in Britain after the Romans left. The Peverell family being one of those families; one of them had a grave in Godric's Hollow, near where Mom and Dad are buried. Other families were part of the Norman invasion and were elevated to Noble status once the dust settled…

Anyway, it turns out that family, the Peverells, were a Knight House who directly served Arthur, while the Potters were one of the Peverell's "Branch Houses"; reading between the lines, it looks like the Potters were purely on the Magical side of things, but also completed everyday tasks for the Peverell family, like armor and property upkeep, things like that.

These days, families like those old Knight Houses are called "Noble and Most Ancient", as they can usually trace their ancestry to the Roman Occupation, while "Squire" Houses – like mine – are "Noble and Ancient", as they by-and-large joined the Knight Houses either during the Dark Ages, or before the Round Table was laid down. Families who came to Britain during the Norman Invasions sometimes get Noble and Most Ancient status, but honestly that looks like what Cookie calls "nepotism". Apparently both the Grand Courts of Fae are really into that sort of thing.

Most Wizards and Witches are nice, but a part of me feels like the problems Mom and Dad dealt with haven't gone away. If what Remus has told me is true, it might be getting worse.

Maybe Magical people actually miss working alongside Mundane people, but after so long they're in denial, so they're just suspicious of anyone who comes from the Mundane world? Or maybe they feel what I felt, but unconsciously?

Yeah, I think I'll debate this with Landlady and Librarian. They've been around long enough to have known what life was like before and after the Statute, and I haven't been around other Magicals long enough to make my own conclusion. Maybe somebody at Hogwarts would be interested in debating this?

Anyway, most of the stuff I mentioned – like the Round Table, most of the gear of King Arthur's Knights, and the Founders (who helped make the Round Table happen, and were the best students of Merlin) – pretty much all of that stuff was only in the books because the Founders in general and Rowena Ravenclaw in particular left behind a LOT of scrolls regarding Arthur, Hogwarts' founding, and the Norman Conquest. Nobody knows what happened to the Table, the gear, or the Founders' workshops, though.

Odds are they're in Hogwarts, cleverly hidden. Maybe Vera and I will find them! After all, that place has never been looked over by a Shaman or kitsune, nevermind ones trained by the Fae Folk!

Till then, though, I'm going to enjoy the end of summer. At least I won't be bored!

Oh, right, and the dress style on the Magical side is stuck in the 1910-20 time period, though the uniforms are pants for boys and skirts for girls. Some of the "nobles" still wear big expensive robes and we're supposed to wear one over our uniforms at Hogwarts, but other than that everyone looks pretty snazzy.

-from the private journals of James Stormcaller
taken at Walnut Manor and Hogwarts, 1991-1992
donated to Hogwarts School, August 2003

[..|..]

"…yet, you must understand: the more magic that is invested in a building, regardless of age, will cause oddities to crop up. Yes, the older a building is, the more it will shape itself to meet the desires and purposes of the occupants, but even a 5-year-old cottage can have pests spontaneously appear in unused cubbies, or draw less desirable magical animals and plants to the area…"

-excerpt from a letter
from the British Department for the Control of Magical Creatures
addressed to Molly Weasley
Magical Archives of Great Britain, Public Access

Note: the letter seems to be in response to multiple attempts to remove a ghoul that'd taken up residence in the addressee's attic, in addition to several failed exterminations of a group of lawn gnomes. Attached documents – a Ministry Rune Inspector's report – indicate that the myriad spells and magic activity woven into and happening within and around the residence creates pockets of high magical density in places; also included is the Inspector's request that the offending residence be torn down for the sake of public safety (a strongly-worded reprimand of the Inspector's behavior is pinned to said request).

Demi-fiend
Threat Class: X (Dark, nonfatal, incorporeal)
Description: A demi-fiend is a translucent servitor demon that carries the memories of deceased mortals, and commonly resides in less-used rooms of large, old magical properties. They mostly use these memories to speak to the living, but more commonly assault sleeping individuals and plague their dreams. The only known ways to remove them from a residence are: having a Rune Sculptor take down and rebuild the property's rune stones, or using a Patronus Charm. To treat short or long-term exposure to such beings, remove the victim from the property and give them 10 grams of dark chocolate per day for the next week.

-excerpt from Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures
published by Fowl's Folios LTD, 1921

[..|..]

"A common misconception among less-learned groups is that all acts involving the summoning of a Spirit are, inherently, of an evil bent. As a matter of fact, I've read no less than six papers by otherwise intelligent scholars that state all Spirit summoning should be banned; two suggested the practice be added to the list of Unforgivables.

"Poppycock; as with all things, the summoning of a Spirit is governed by the caster's intentions, rather than any inherent Darkness or Light. Whether the casting itself goes good or ill, that is a more 'grey' area, and likely the reason for so much confusion on my colleague's behalf.

"To keep this very simple, I shall give three examples: one of a good summoning, one of an evil summoning, and one that went wrong.

"A good summoning is quite common, so long as the student has the right books – in fact, I have written just such a beginner's manual, Realms, Rites and Rituals, that aids young Witches and Wizards in opening their minds to the Spirit Realms.

"But, back to what I was saying: much of the time, a summoner will fail to call out to and Bond with a Spirit; this is usually due to a variety of factors, such as the summoner's disposition, age, or sincerity in the act. This is how most begin the learning process; many can learn from youth, yet not achieve a Bond until they are in their early 20s, and sometimes older. Of course, there are exceptions… but for now, we shall only examine the general truths of the matter.

"The first summoning – going by most written manuals and teaching styles – usually results in a homunculus or golem, an artificial body that allows a Spirit to interact with Mundus; the difference between the two is that a homunculus is, most of the time, humanoid in form, and is either wholly flesh and blood, or partly magical in substance. A golem is usually made up of natural elements, such as wood, stone, metal, or a combination of many materials; the accomplished Mage should be able to create their own homunculi and golems with any material, though clay is a popular medium for novices.

"Here is an example of a good summoning: the creation of a homunculus as a laboratory assistant. I shall not discuss the summoning of elemental or sapient Spirits during this lecture; if one of you wishes to know about this subset of summoning, you may ask your Headmistress for an introduction after I have finished speaking.

"Before I go on, it should be noted that some fools think that House Elves are actually homunculi that have been created with the ability to breed; this unfounded theory is, to put it bluntly, absolutely stupid, and anyone who actually believes this is either very drunk or extremely deluded.

"Now, an evil summoning can have all the hallmarks of a good summoning, but call a Spirit of malevolence into the world; Wrath, Pride, Envy, and Greed are the most common types of Spirit inhabiting an evil golem, with Wrath being the most common. It is said that some revenants are actually Wrath and Pride golems or homunculi, but this is near impossible to study or prove.

"As for a summoning that goes wrong, but had good intentions to begin with? These are very rare, and I will do my best, in the course of this lecture, to give you the tools to prevent such accidents, but I will first provide the most infamous example of such a folly: Azkaban."

-excerpt from a lecture on the subject of Spirits
by Grand Magus Yvette Salome
Beauxbatons Académie de Magie, France, 1658CE

Chapter 3:
Last Days of Summer

Since discovering Magic a year ago, Hermione Granger's interests had shifted dramatically; she'd thought her thirst for adventure and excitement was going to vanish, as she learned more about geography and maths and history…

Only to find out that she'd only ever seen half the world, while the other half was deviously hidden… and full of much more excitement and wonder than she'd ever expected!

From meeting Hedwig and Bonding with her – something that was extremely rare and special, even among Magicals! – to her careful and stumbling foray into Potions – only one explosion so far, though she'd melted two cauldrons – Hermione was finding something new in Magic every day, making her fall in love with the subject all over again. That her parents let her take the tube on her own – after demonstrating the Stunning Hex – so she could visit Diagon Alley was even better! Between her allowance, vacation weeks, and the summer months, over the past year Hermione had plenty of time and resources to experiment with Magic as much as possible!

On the other hand… Flourish and Blott's, while a very comprehensive bookstore, was sorely lacking in the kind of Magic that Hermione had read about in the Muggle world; things like rituals, summoning, and enchanting were simply absent from the bookstore's shelves! Where were the stories of druids reshaping the land, or dragons soaring into battles? Even the history books only ever talked about British Magical history, and most of that seemed to be either nobles tooting their own horns, or sleep-inducing doorstops about Giant Wars that happened before Roman Occupation. Asking the clerk for books on rituals and alternative – non-wand-based – magic just got Hermione a weird look, like she'd farted in public or something…

So, Hermione asked some of the other shopkeepers on the Alley: were there any other bookstores, ones that carried books about more advanced magical subjects?

Most, like the dressmaker and Mr. Ollivander, suggested Hermione wait until she learned more of the basics, not understanding that the basics were what she was looking for!

One the bright side, she did find one person who understood…

The bell of the Diagon Apothecary rang as Hermione bustled back into the shop, a week since her last visit, a toothy smile lighting up her face as she was met with the smells of thousands of ingredients; it was a bouquet that reminded her of a mix between her Dad's favorite Indian restaurant and Nag Champa incense, with hints of Mum's garden and fresh-cut grass. Bulk barrels with scoops and pre-filled labeled jars covered the dark wood shelves in the well-lit shop, which was empty save the proprietor manning the counter, the school rush having mostly passed.

In a week, Hermione, with Hedwig, would board the Hogwarts Express and begin her journey into the world of Magic properly. But today, she had something else on her mind.

"Hello, Ms. Prince!" Hermione chirped while running up to the counter, where waited her now-fourth favorite person in the world, after her parents and her long-lost friend James.

Ms. Eileen Prince, the proprietor of the Diagon Apothecary, was a frail-seeming woman, thin and tall with curly hair pulled into a long braided bun; but Hermione could tell, being sensitive to Magic, that there was a hidden strength behind the lady's kind, coal-black eyes.

"Hello, Ms. Granger," Ms. Prince smiled at Hermione, her brown cheeks flushed from dashing through the rain from the Leaky Cauldron, frizzy hair pulled up in a bun, and a rain cloak over her Muggle clothes. Picking up her wand, the older woman offered, "Would you like a Drying Charm? No Hedwig today?"

Hermione nodded in relief, then shook her head once she was good and dry, "Nope. She doesn't like the rain much, and I promised my parents I wouldn't be long today."

"I should hope so; while I enjoy talking Charms with you, spending time with your family is important, so close to the start of term," Ms. Prince chuckled and waved her wand at the door; it locked, and the blinds drew themselves as the sign changed to 'closed'.

"I know. Dad's taking us on a trip to a railway museum in Coleford tomorrow. I'd like to go camping in the Forest of Dean again, but," Hermione huffed out a sigh, only a little irritated beneath her general excitement, "Mum's not really up for dealing with bug bites, so close to the end of summer."

Around another chuckle, Ms. Prince came back from rummaging behind the counter, holding a paper-wrapped parcel and smiling in that weak-seeming way, "I don't blame her, but I'll tell you what: if you get a chance to drop by over hols, let me know how far you've gotten in your classes, and I'll teach you a Rune array that keeps most insects away."

Could the day get any better?! Taking the parcel with a grin, Hermione felt like she was vibrating, such was her excitement while holding the thick book. Looking up at the woman, she asked, "Do I owe you anything?"

Ms. Prince shook her head, still smiling, "I'm only happy that there's still some children who are more curious about real magic, Ms. Granger."

…what? "What do you mean?" Hermione asked, tilting her head with a frown, "I've cast a few spells already, and it's… well, brilliant!"

Nodding patiently, Ms. Prince explained, "A wand is good for detailed work, for quick fixes to problems; even Potions, you'll find, have a limited shelf-life, and quite the expensive upkeep." Leaning over the counter, the older woman tapped the paper-wrapped book with a finger, "What you have in your hands, Hermione, is the last copy of that book that was available for sale on British soil; more than this, the knowledge contained within is worth its weight in gold, as it doesn't just talk about the subject you're interested in."

Not daring to speak of her secret project aloud – no telling what Magic could be used to eavesdrop – Hermione swallowed and asked instead, "Um… who wrote it, if you don't mind my asking?" Was it Dumbledore, or perhaps one of the German Empire scholars, or one of the many treatises written by the College of Budapest?

But Ms. Prince only winked and waved her wand again, reopening her shop, "I'll leave that as a surprise for when you return home, though I'll give you a hint; as a studious young witch, you'll no doubt be happy to read the words of this particular author. Now, off with you, before the rain worsens."

Tucking the precious cargo into her travelling bag, Hermione said her goodbyes to the older woman before hiking her hood back up and heading for the nearest train station, eager to get home and unwrap her prize.

The whole way there, however, she was nervous; yes, she had her wand, and a small can of pepper spray, but what if she was mugged by more than one person while on the tube? How much trouble would she be in if she used Magic to defend herself? Sure, as a Muggleborn not yet at Hogwarts, she was given some leeway, but Hermione wasn't about to delude herself; the government might look the other way for, say, a Tripping Jinx, but they might not be so forgiving if she used a Blasting Hex on a Muggle kidnapper.

Thankfully, she got back home without being accosted, and only a little wet – someone had forgotten their umbrella on the train, so Hermione took it, planning to bring it to the Gloucester Station lost & found when she got a chance. Mum and Dad were, respectively, working on dinner and quietly swearing at the computer they used for the dentist office's business, so, after giving them a brief rundown of her day, Hermione retreated to her room and Hedwig's greeting hoots.

"Hey, girl," Hermione rushed over to her Familiar and gave her an affectionate forehead-nuzzle, before digging out the wrapped parcel and holding it up in victory, "I've got it."

Hoo! Hedwig hoo-ed, bobbing her head; as the other half of the Familiar Bond, Hermione understood what Hedwig meant…

And nodded back at her friend with a grin, "Yes! This is it! I can finally study more about…" she glanced behind her before whispering conspiratorially, "Spirits." Hedwig let out another happy bark while Hermione dashed over to her bed – dodging the stacks of Muggle and Magical history books she'd left out, after comparing the two differing histories; she was still working on contrasting them – with a victorious grin stretched over her face.

It was something that'd interested her since reading about the rarer Spirit-Familiars, ones that were like her own Bond with Hedwig, though that was mostly through reading about her soon-to-be Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, and his Phoenix.

Spirits. Very little was said of them anywhere, most of those mentions being either barebones explanations of a Phoenix's nature – bestiaries – or warnings not to interact with them, period.

Ms. Prince had set Hermione straight, though: in truth, Spirits were old as Magic itself, and came in all shapes and sizes. Most were helpful and eager to aid humanity, too; why, Ms. Prince had an actual Dryad living in her garden, protecting her plants from invasive species both Muggle and Magical. And there were countless legends about Spirits in Muggle culture: from angels, to woodland avatars, to the stranger tales of the Russian and Inuit Shamans, and even the English stories of Brownies, those helpful, unseen Spirits that liked helping households.

And now, Hermione had a book about them; one the Ms. Prince thought was reputable, too!

Removing the paper, Hermione's grin grew while reading the title, surrounded by green fabric and gold trimming in swirls around the border of the cover, but her excitement diminished when she saw the author's name:

Realms,
Rites,
and Rituals
~
a definitive instruction
on the nature, form, and function of
Spirits, and the Realms they inhabit
~
by Yvette Salome, G.M.

Hermione frowned in thought as she reread everything, trying to remember where she'd read that name, "…Yvette, Yvette… Salo- oh, holy cricket! Hedwig!" She looked over at her friend, who tilted her head in question, "Ms. Prince sent me a book by an author that's banned in Britain!"

Hoo? Hedwig tilted her head to one side, blinking at Hermione.

She frowned and looked back at the – really rather nice-looking – book, chewing her lip in thought, "I mean… yes, I could still read it, but if someone finds out I have this I could be in a lot of trouble!"

Hedwig barked dismissively.

Hermione smiled wryly at her familiar, "Yes, just hide it, in all the places I have to hide… books." She looked around at her room, the full bookshelves, and sighed, "Good point, actually; no better hiding spot for a book than a small library, eh?"

With an agreeing hoot, Hedwig hopped closer to watch as Hermione cracked open the book, and – after squeeing at the words 'second edition, 1630' – the young Witch got started on learning about Spirits, and just what a Bond was all about.

[..|..]

Elsewhere in the country, behind magical wards that dated to the days of Merlin and the Round Table Knights, a manor sat in seeming quiet. It wasn't raining there; in fact, it was a dry and sunny day at the Family Manor of the Noble and Ancient House of MacMillan, its rolling fields and small forests seemingly idyllic and peaceful, to the outside observer.

Yet, for one Ernie MacMillan, Heir to House MacMillan, the house was one of horrors… most of the time.

Closing the door to the conservatory behind him – and cutting off the distant sound of his grandmother screaming something at his father back in the sitting room – Ernie turned around and breathed a sigh of relief, though his guard didn't drop. Even all the colorful and masterfully-grown flowers and ferns of the greenhouse – more like a botanical garden, given the size – wasn't enough to calm his nerves, always on edge whenever he visited his family's manor.

Straining his ears, Ernie heard it: a giggle and other displeasing sounds, coming from behind the thick and ancient apple tree. Covering his ears, he did his best to tune those and other more nefarious sounds out – he still heard the sound of the knife tearing through flesh, the rattle, the soft cold laughter – and hurried for the gazebo.

Such was the average day in MacMillan Manor, or, as it was known in certain circles, the House of Shadows.

Arriving at the gazebo, Ernie breathed a sigh of relief when he saw the only ghost inhabiting the small building was his long-dead several-times Great Aunt, Penelope; one of the less-unpleasant remnants of the past that stuck to the manor like stubborn fungus, it was Aunt Penelope who built the conservatory and kept it up until dying to the plague, at only 25. At the moment, her wide eyes were only on the pot of Painted Lady succulents Ernie had placed there last time his family visited the manor, back during Easter hols.

"Hey, Aunt Pen," Ernie greeted the ghost as he entered the gazebo, sitting down and examining the plant; the House Elves had taken very good care of it.

Starting, the wide-eyed ghost focused on Ernie and quickly broke out on a smile, "Oh, Ernie! You're back! Not staying long again?"

He shook his head and glared back the way he came, "No… grandmother just wants to badger dad about him not supporting some bill in the Wizengamot; something about his actions not being true to the family legacy. I got out of there because she wouldn't stop reaching for her wand and glaring at me." Ernie ended sourly; just because his mom was Muggleborn, grandmother saw him as some… freak of nature, or something.

His dad told him not to let it worry him, but… it still did.

Great Aunt Pen hummed sympathetically, raised a hand as though to pat his shoulder, and apparently thought better of it, resting them in her lap instead, "She has gotten rather unpleasant, these past years. Doesn't even visit my garden anymore, always cooped up in her library or tittering in the sitting room with those hags she gossips with." The ghost tutted and shook her head sadly, "Why, I've had to enlist the House Elves in the conservatory's upkeep, teaching them how to prune what and when, the turning of the soil- and then the woman talks about replacing my beautiful garden with a smoking room! The house already has three!"

Ernie just nodded along, but stopped at the mention of, "Wait, hags?" as if all the shades, ghosts, and demi-fiends weren't bad enough-

Aunt Pen giggled and waved a hand, "Oh, not literal Hags, Ernie; don't be silly! Though that Narcissa Malfoy isn't far off, constantly looking like a troll crapped at her feet."

Ernie's giggles joined the ghost's, though he still felt on edge; he'd learned, long ago, not to let his guard down while in the Manor. The last time he had… he suppressed a shiver; if his mum hadn't found him, that Boggart might've…

A cold twitch touched Ernie's nose, making him yelp. Aunt Pen was frowning at him- no, at a spot over his shoulder, "Your father's here. He does not look very happy."

Looking over- yeah, his dad wasn't in a good mood, though he visibly sighed in relief when he spotted Ernie. Turning back to his dead Aunt, Ernie smiled and picked up the pot of Painted Ladies, "I'm going to Hogwarts next week."

"Oh, that's wonderful! Taking the succulents with you?"

He nodded, "Yeah. Need something to keep my hands busy an' not think about… stuff." Like the Boggart, or his mum not being able to find work, or his dad's yelling arguments with grandmother.

"Please bring some back once they fully mature; I… rather enjoy the color, and talking about plants with you," she gave him a hopeful smile, which Ernie returned with a nod and a quiet farewell before walking over to his father.

After apparating back home – urk – and making sure the succulents had survived the trip, Ernie asked his father as they walked from the property line to the nice brick cottage where they lived, "Will we be going back for Yule?"

Gordon MacMillan let out a huge sigh and shook his head, though not in a negative, "Much as I'd like to go elsewhere, it's our House's turn to host the Wizengamot Yule Ball, and the Manor is the only property we have that'll work." He smiled down at his son, "But at least you won't want for much company. The Longbottoms and Greengrasses will be attending this year, what with their Heirs at Hogwarts age too, and maybe that Justin lad you met on the Alley; he and his family seemed a good sort."

Remembering he had a letter to send to Justin by owl, Ernie perked up a little more, "Yeah, and get this, dad: last letter he sent, he said his family knows the Queen!"

"Well, fancy that," his father smiled, and they talked no more of that ghost-infested house… though Ernie was still a bit nervous of going to Hogwarts.

After all, it was reputed to be the most haunted building in Britain! Hopefully there wouldn't be too many ghosts…

[..|..]

It was the last day of August in the hidden lands of Rivendell, but unlike many other people in Britain, the residents weren't much bothered by the date.

Like every day, Faeries got up and went about their morning duties, opening windows and preparing the washing; like every day, Sir Cookie and the House Elves, Rafiq and Asha, got to work preparing the meals of the day; like every day, Librarian Lisanna rose and swept over the property's perimeter, checking on the guards and the wards, ensuring the safety of those within; like every day – or, at least, like every day recently – Landlady Melfina woke with a yawn and a smile at Sir Vileclaw the Goblin's side, the pair rising at each their own speed, saving any discussion of yet-to-be-completed business for after breakfast.

Like every day since James and Vera destroyed the revenant that had long poisoned the property, and sent the poor soul bound within it to Elysium, the Sun rose over the hidden vale amid English clouds, and all was well within its purview.

That warm August afternoon found James the Shaman and Vera the Spirit-fox lying in a clearing far from the Manor, flowers scenting the air and insects zipping past as the pair watched the fluffy clouds roll by…

And, nearby, there was the Circle where they met; within, the River Yew, an ancient tree planted during Roman occupation, made sounds to herself, an ululation that spoke of the excited nervousness that came with every return to school, both Mundane and Magical. She wasn't alone in her Listening today, either; both James and Vera could hear what she heard, if only in the Wind.

Yet, that wasn't what was on the pair's minds, though having a quiet spot to practice wide-range Listening was nice.

"…do we have to go?" Vera asked, finally, saying what was on both their minds, regarding the coming journey to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

James bit his lip and considered, twiddling his thumbs before slowly replying, "I… want to. A part of me doesn't, yeah, because we can still learn a lot right here, and Wyne'll miss us something terrible – she nearly strangled me last night, she was hugging me so tight."

"Hmm, I'm sure she'll manage; and we can come back, right?" Vera looked over at her Shaman, meeting his questioning green eyes, "If we don't like it there, we'll just leave."

"Well, yeah," James shrugged, though his heart wasn't really in it. "I still want to explore the place, though; it's a 1000-year-old castle, Vera, and there's a huge forest right next to it. Even if the teachers are mean, we'll just go Unseen and ignore them." Then James frowned, turning over so his face was closer to Vera's, "You really don't wanna go, though; is it Dumbledore?"

There was a spike of fury in their Bond, at the mere mention of the Wizard, "He… he just left you on their doorstep, like a friggin' bottle of milk! In late Autumn! Didn't even bother to check on you or make sure you were okay and being cared for- mmf."

James nuzzled his face into Vera's neck as he hugged her tight, whispering, "Even if what happened to me hurts, Vera, a part of me is at least grateful he did leave me with them. If he hadn't, I'd have never met you, never come to Rivendell or Walnut Manor, never met the Triplets or Gregory or Landlady or Wyne-"

"I love you too, James," Vera whispered back, wrapping some of her tails around her Shaman. "Doesn't mean I have to be happy about what you went through."

"Well, we'll never see the Dursleys again, not till we've seen the world and bring back souvenirs."

Vera pulled back and made a face at James, "You'd bring them souvenirs?"

James grinned, "Well, yeah! How else would they know what dragon dung smells like? Good for gardens, y'kno- ah! Vera! Stop!" he yelped with laughter as Vera started tickling her silly Shaman.

Eventually, they returned to the Manor and their friends; dinner and last-minute packing awaited, and the next day... James Stormcaller would become Harry Potter, and – officially – walk into the Magical World for the first time since a dark Halloween ten years ago…

[..|..]

A/N:
REALLY sorry this took so long, and that it's so short; other than establishing Ernie as a character, most of this exists as a bridge between the Alley and the Express… though Hermione's studies do have some important consequences.

Thank you to everyone who's been patient with me, and to those who've donated; there's a website, starts with a P, that you can use to send a little money my way so I don't lost my internet or apartment and have to mail everyone new chapters written on line paper.

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you next time, on the Hogwarts Express!

~Baked

Last edited:
Great chapter, Baked. Though... Poor Ernie. His grandmother is a Purist. I honestly pity any family who has to deal with one of them. Well, he'll be away from her for almost a year. So, he'll be rid of any stress that's built up 'til now.

I enjoyed this chapter! It was a nice snack before the main event (the reunion :D). Also, Snape's mother is alive, so it will be interesting to see if Snape's attitude is different due to this. Maybe he isn't as bitter?

"No… grandmother just wants to badger dad about him not supporting some bill in the Wizengamot; something about his actions not being true to the family legacy. I got out of there because she wouldn't stop reaching for her wand and glaring at me." Ernie ended sourly; just because his mom was Muggleborn, grandmother saw him as some… freak of nature, or something.

Also, this is pretty disturbing. Seems like dear old grandmother wants to actually hurt Ernie simply because of who his mother is. I wonder if any other Hogwarts students come from similar circumstances?

The Longbottoms and Greengrasses will be attending this year, what with their Heirs at Hogwarts age too, and maybe that Justin lad you met on the Alley; he and his family seemed a good sort."

Maybe Daphne and Neville will be friends or acquaintances with James? Also, it will be interesting to see if Ron plays an important role in this story. I'm not sure if Ron's canon attitude would fit very well with this story's version of Harry and Hermione, but hey this is fanfiction so anything's possible :) .

Aunt Pen giggled and waved a hand, "Oh, not literal Hags, Ernie; don't be silly! Though that Narcissa Malfoy isn't far off, constantly looking like a troll crapped at her feet."

Is it weird that I kinda hoped that the whole Malfoy family situation would be the trope of "bad Lucius and good/caring Narcissa"? I think that it's much more likely that Narcissa shares the same beliefs as Lucius, probably due to them running in the same high-society social circles and being inundated with that ideology constantly from childhood until now. That's my theory, but I'm sure we will find out more in the future.

Anyways, thank you for the chapter, and I hope we get to see the reunion between Hermione and James (or I guess it's Harry now, technically) soon :)

Is it weird that I kinda hoped that the whole Malfoy family situation would be the trope of "bad Lucius and good/caring Narcissa"?
Not weird, but I'm better at writing Lucius that way, as opposed to Narcissa. He's not good, of course, but he is a Slytherin; more on that later.

Additionally, someone in the reviews on FF said that, in HP canon, Merlin was a student of the Founders, further assuring me that Rowling isn't very learned in history, or perhaps just craps out random canon whenever someone brings up unanswered HP lore.

Whatever. This is majorly AU, so any canon that isn't mentioned in Books 1-7 means nothing to me (and even then I'm taking every liberty I can get away with).

Whatever. This is majorly AU, so any canon that isn't mentioned in Books 1-7 means nothing to me (and even then I'm taking every liberty I can get away with).

That's why fanfiction is so great. You can just say screw what happened and completely rewrite the world to make it your own.

ot weird, but I'm better at writing Lucius that way, as opposed to Narcissa. He's not good, of course, but he is a Slytherin; more on that later.

So I'm guessing he looks for benefits and ways to advance his agenda, even if said benefits or assets come from "undesirable" people. I'm reminded of another one of your stories, "A Hunter for Hogwarts". In that one, Draco essentially says that even though Hermione is a "mudblood", he couldn't just ignore how intelligent she is. It wouldn't be a very "Slytherin" thing to do. A "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" kind of thing I imagine.

but I will first provide the most infamous example of such a folly: Azkaban.
Well, that really gets the severity across...
and – after squeezing at the words 'second edition, 1630'
Did you perhaps mean 'squeeing'?

I really look forward to Hermione's reappearance. She and Harry will get along like a house on fire and there'll be so much SCIENCE to be done! :D
(Plus, he's proof of her theories.)

Additionally, someone in the reviews on FF said that, in HP canon, Merlin was a student of the Founders, further assuring me that Rowling isn't very learned in history, or perhaps just craps out random canon whenever someone brings up unanswered HP lore.

My headcanon is he time traveled. Seems like a thing he'd do anyway.

My headcanon is he time traveled. Seems like a thing he'd do anyway.

May headcanon is there too. Myrddin Emrys the younger goes to Hogwarts, is a good Slytherin, graduates and has a mishap with time magic research. Lands in the time period around Uther's childhood and becomes the Merlin Ambrosius everyone knows.

May headcanon is there too. Myrddin Emrys the younger goes to Hogwarts, is a good Slytherin, graduates and has a mishap with time magic research. Lands in the time period around Uther's childhood and becomes the Merlin Ambrosius everyone knows.

Or possbly the other way around, there are stories of Merlin ageing backwards ocasionally. He may have done the stuff with Arthur first, helped the founders set up the school, and then later when he was in a younger body decided to give the Hogwarts experience a try. To be honest given some of the stories that have sprung up around him it could be either.

To be honest given some of the stories that have sprung up around him it could be either.
It could honestly be anything. Anyone here ever read The Dragon and the Unicorn? For those who haven't it's a retelling of the Uther legend and the rise of the Round Table story. In that telling, Merlin is basically a well-intentioned if mentally impaired demon wearing a man suit.

Here, however, Merlin Ambrosius was the Grandmaster of the Druids, and, toward the end of his life, gave the Four Founders the teaching they needed to become the Founders.

Honestly, if I paid enough heed to Rowling's canon that I followed her WoG for a character that never appears in the book (outside some rather impressive swears, such as 'Merlin's baggy Y-fronts!'), I'd never manage to do anything with this story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back