1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

sooo, how likely it is that it sucks?

2. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

At least three. Three likely. :V

I was reading about it yesterday and apparently it's supposed to be more survival focused rather than a straight shooter. I think they were aiming for something like Left 4 Dead though with more to it.

3. Bear_Mint

Bear_Mint The LewdBringer. The Breast Observer.

A L4D style game set in the Alien's universe? At least this is better than Colonial Marines.

4. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

That's a pretty low bar to pass considering it had things like the alien ai being worse then the shitty thing it already was because a single line of code had been misspelled.

Rakdos92 and Derek58 like this.
  5. Desalis

Desalis Journey before desination

I'll have to give it another try then, I think I gave up on it too soon.

6. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Oh, right. For those not yet aware, the Crosscode DLC epilogue is now out.

CptTagon and Deathwings like this.
  7. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

It's not that EA doesn't know single player games are viable. It's that they were desperately trying to convince the public to try and get rid of single player games entirely. This is little more than them realizing their efforts are ultimately doomed to failure. That no, Gamers still understand that single player games are good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for this change. But don't think for a second that the war on single player games wasn't pushed heavily by EA

8. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Messing around with the Incorrect Quotes Generator. Considering most of them would fit on a Terrible Tiger meme, l discovered the best trio to use.

(I think this is actually a Gravity Falls quote...)
    Laharl: We need a distraction.
    Etna: Is anyone here good at jumping up and down and making weird noises?
    Flonne, whispering: My time has come

(Who does cook around the castle, I wonder?)
    Laharl: HELP! I TOLD FLONNE I’D COOK DINNER TONIGHT BUT I CAN’T COOK!
    Etna, pouring milk directly into the cereal bag: And you thought I could help?

(Etna fucking with people.)
    Laharl: Sometimes I drink milk straight out of the container.
    Etna: The cow???
    Laharl: What?
    Flonne: Etna, W H Y?

(Flonne, keeping it simple.)
    Laharl: What's a word thats a mix between 'sad' and 'mad'?
    Etna: Disgruntled, miserable, desolated-
    Flonne: Smad.

(Demon Guide to Parenting, chapter 3.)
    Laharl: WHY. why did you give Flonne a KNIFE?!
    Etna: I’m sorry. They said they felt unsafe.
    Laharl: Now I feel unsafe!
    Etna: I’m sorry.
    Etna: ... would you like a knife?

(...Definitely a demon custom.)
    Laharl: Here’s a fun Christmas idea. We hang mistletoe, but instead of kissing, you have to FIGHT whoever else is under it.
    Etna: Laharl no.
    Flonne: Mistlefoe.
    Etna: Please stop encouraging them.

Happerry, Deatin, Berserk869 and 9 others like this.
  9. heralding_bubble

heralding_bubble Liar and Hypocrite

10. heralding_bubble

And here's something for Transistor fans that I just saw.

11. Melmar

Random review of Lenna's Inception, a game I played recently. Because why not.

Good points:
    • Top down Legend of Zelda style game. It's kind of a blatantly obvious love letter to the series.
    • Actually has a pretty good story
    • Pretty cute characters
    • Catchy soundtrack with my favorite genre of music: sweet ass boss fightin' tunes
    • Multiple endings
    • You can play the game in 32-bit or 8-bit graphical styles for funzies
    • Randomized worlds so the adventure's different each time and there's a few different challenge modes 'n' such
    Not so good points:
    • A couple of the later plot points are somewhat unclear.
    • The randomized nature of the worlds mean there's not much in the way of actual puzzles.
    • The 8-bit version of the soundtrack makes the occasional high pitched bleep which hurts my damn ears.
    I don't know why everyone suddenly knew it was a game at the end when they didn't throughout the rest of the story. I have to assume the power of Truth had something to do with it because that's the only thing I can think of but, they never spell it out. I'm also unclear on the degree of intelligence 8Fridge actually possessed. Like, was it acting of its own will when it was sowing chaos, especially at the end with that nightmare shit it pulled, or was it just following Devlin's orders the whole time?

Overall, I give it a pretty good so check it out because it's only like ten bucks on Steam out of 10. :V

Amazon Climber and Desalis like this.
  12. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

I think, like most procedurally generated games, it would have benefitted from just not procedurally generating it and having an actual human being design the levels. The constant things, the bosses and the last dungeon, were the best parts.
    Regarding 8Fridge, the feeling I got is that it wasn’t sapient, and I’m not sure I’d even say malevolent. It felt more like an animal or maybe a force of (un)nature than anything else; nothing it did felt like it had any design or meaning to it besides propagation. It certainly wasn’t helping Devlin any.

Melmar likes this.
  13. Kelenas

Kelenas Experienced.

Just finished Haven today; it's a scifi adventure romance, where - unlike most games/stories of the romance genre - the focus is mostly on the relationship of the characters (Kay and Yu) after they've already come together and been a couple for a while.
    The writing in that regard is pretty good; it can get rather silly or cringe-y at points, but in a way that feels rather natural; ie, the characters are being silly/cringe in the way a real couple might be silly or cringe.
    The game as a whole has its flaws, of course - combat and exploration are fairly simplistic, for example, even if dashing around on hover-boots is quite fun, and the story and setting just felt a bit too melancholic for me to truly enjoy - but I rather liked and admire how the developers picked a core concept for the game - ie, Kay and Yu's relationship - and then committed to that and molded the rest of the game's mechanics and gameplay around that.
    When exploring the two will link hands while you're moving along in the hoverboots in a straight line for long enough, for example, and one of the idle-animations consists of the two sharing a hug and a kiss (which also happens to heal whichever character is currently the most injured). In battle, you control both characters simultaneously, and a lot of enemies require the two characters acting in concert - whether by performing dual-attacks, that if properly timed are stronger than their individual versions, or one character shielding the other while the other takes advantage of an opening created by the enemy's attack. Gaining points to improve the characters relies on the characters doing stuff together; this does include fighting enemies (though the "XP" gained from that are fairly low), but mostly relies on doing everyday couple-stuff like making and eating food together, playing games together, teasing and annoying each other, having arguments about meaningless stuff, talking about sex, having sex (in a fade-to-black way), having a drink together, and so on, and so forth.

Overall, while I can't really recommend the game unreservedly - even the good ending is rather bittersweet, which combined with the setting of an uninhabited planet makes for an underlying tone that's just a bit too melancholic for my likes - I do think it's worth a try for those looking for a romance-focused game that diverges a bit from the usual formula.

14. Melmar

So, anybody else remember how the first trailer for the upcoming Dark Alliance game was basically the worst thing ever? They put out a new one that looks a bit less bad with a June 22nd release date:

Rakdos92 likes this.
  15. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Big bit of news: the full trailer for Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2.

And the release date: TOMORROW! Slayers! Tonight we dine in HELL!

16. Bear_Mint

Bear_Mint The LewdBringer. The Breast Observer.

Oil up your chainsaws and load your super shotguns!

17. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Had a thought while playing Cyberpunk.

What do you call it when it's not Dystopian? The 'punk' part of a genre generally denotes the lawlessness, chaos, and generally gritty grimdarky-ness of the setting. Which usually, in cyberpunk, comes in the form of being dystopian.

So what do you call a relatively bright cyber-future setting? I've only ever actually seen such a setting once.

So I also tried to imagine what it might look like, and I came up with cyborg LARPers. Riding around on motorcycles, forming gangs, blowing each-other to gibbets... and then the cleaning crew comes around and picks up everyone's (practically indestructible compared to the rest of their body) heads and sticks them on new chassis and shoos them away so they can clean up the bits. Or, for the sake of economic realism, just guns and parts that work like the space laser tag in Ender's Game.

Imabot likes this.
  18. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Post-Cyberpunk, if by "relatively bright" you mean "in comparison to normal cyberpunk".

19. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Oooh, thanks. I see a couple series in the list I might be interested in watching.

20. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

You this reminds of something that rarely is done with Cyberpunk genre especially in video games.

I believe it was Ridley Scott who saud that when giving interview on Blade Runner when asked what is cyberpunk.

" Future is old." Was the answer IIRC. And He's kinda right. Lawless, and dystopia doesn't get born from progressing society. It's when system is getting old, outdated and Tech doesn't manage to preserve it youth and strenght.

So often Cyberpunk focuses of showing amazing tech, holograms and lasers, transfer of mind into cyberspace etc and what kind of super amazing progress and leaps humanity made but government oppress people.

There should be more stuff were they show that all that tech is just gray everyday thibg and really useless thing that didn't manage to improve humanity in the past amd won't improve it now.

Deus Ex. The first one was a game that IMHO quite perfectly captured that atmosphere.

UnthinkingWisdom likes this.
  21. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Hm. Cyberpunk, yes, that sounds like a good idea.

I think one of the key notes you'd want to hit on Post-Cyberpunk though, is that the technology is neat and useful, but it's all about giving people more options- and the effect it has on the world is down to how they choose to use it.

Hm. For that matter, you could write an interesting story about a Cyberpunk and Post-Cyberpunk character as the pro and antagonist... which is which changing as the story progresses, and emphasizing that it is, as it always has been, the choices people make that change the world, not the technology. Have their respective factions not united in evil, but divided, coming to a head at the end and splitting into the assholes and the decent people just doing what they think is right. The Cyberpunk's anarchist buddies turn on him when he decides not to kill the Post-Cyberpunk, only for the MegaCorp's vice president/pencil pushing jerk/what have you to turn all the robots on them even when they're the only ones that can probably turn the reactor off before it goes critical. But Cyberpunk's real friends stand with him, and the company's CEO or branch manager or what have you runs interference with the robots so both parties can work together to prevent the whole freaking city from going up.

Just the thoughts that came to me. I'm sleep-deprived right now, so they may not be as good as I was thinking they were.

22. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

I'll just leave this here for all the people who hadn't heard of it.

Haven't seen it yet, but just from the trailer I suspect it might just hit that 'so bad it's good' sweet spot.

Deathwings, Imabot and Anonnermus like this.
  23. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

It was in the movie discussion thread. It's actually a fun movie, from what those that saw it said.

Deathwings and UnthinkingWisdom like this.
  24. Malcolmo

For those interested in Evil Genius 2 here's a 30 minute preview done by a third party:

From what I can tell from watching it's very true to the original. Has been given high marks for an early build.

daimahou and Rakdos92 like this.
  25. Hunter 1

Hunter 1 Know what you're doing yet?

"Early build", suuuuure... you do know the game releases at the end of the month, right? Assuming they didn't cripple that version at all (and that it was the latest build when they gave away the code), there's a good chance that's what got submitted to Valve and/or Epic as the final game.

26. Malcolmo

*Shrug*
    Allegedly they've been told about the camera controls needing tightening up and are doing that. Beyond that, damned if I know.

27. Hunter 1

Hunter 1 Know what you're doing yet?

That sounds patchable, so I think we know some of what will be in the Day 1 patch besides bug fixes.

28. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Stellaris 3.0 is going to be released on April 15th, and it's intended to address some of the micromanagement issues in 2.0 (and add Espionage).

Pertinent for QQ, the code-name for Stellaris 3.0 is "Dick" ... after Philip K Dick, but the name is just "Dick".

So, if you want a harder, faster, deeper experience, you need Dick.

29. Desalis

Desalis Journey before desination

I've not touched Stellaris since 2019 when I got super addicted to it, that might just draw me back in.

evildice likes this.
  30. heralding_bubble

Thanks, I'll try to remember to keep an eye on it :V

Unrelated to Stellaris, someone tried to take down Jimquisition again.

evildice likes this.