• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

What are your most hated fanfic tropes

Yelling & talking about boobs in public is pretty cringe but is pretty low on the sex offender scale compared to someone like Rito from To Love Ru who trips & falls face-first into a girl's panties.
Lol
To be fair that's also not being a sex offender he isn't doing it on purpose he is just lucky/unlucky lol.

I hate self-inserts that go out of their way to help the original mc get a girlfriend/harem.

I've seen too many DxD fics lately where the SI decides he wants to help Issei fulfill his dream of getting a harem.

Fucking gross. Why would anyone want to help that sex offender get a harem? Especially a SI!

The stories usually try to portray it in a positive or neutral light, but all I get out of that goal is that the SI (or author) likes sitting in the cuck chair.

Why else would you self-insert into a harem anime and play wingman for the original protagonist?
Wow, by your logic you are a cuckold because there are billions of people and hundreds of millions of girls in the world fucking other people. That is literally your logic.
The funniest thing is that you call Issei a sex offender and then complain that self insert doesn't do the same.
Do you realize how pathetic your arguments are?

Why else would you self-insert into a harem anime and play wingman for the original protagonist?
Probably survival? It's a Shonen, it's designed to be beaten by a specific person with specific allies and specific abilities. Maximizing it is the safest bet of coming out the other end without whatever apocalypse the author pulled out of his ass to throw into the main character's way in order to create the illusion of challenge.
As an SI, that apocalypse would suddenly turn from a done deal which gets fixed anyway, barely worthy of consideration beyond the spectacle it provides, to an existential threat, and the best way to solve it is to work with the idiosyncratic way the setting functions.

Probably survival? It's a Shonen, it's designed to be beaten by a specific person with specific allies and specific abilities. Maximizing it is the safest bet of coming out the other end without whatever apocalypse the author pulled out of his ass to throw into the main character's way in order to create the illusion of challenge.
As an SI, that apocalypse would suddenly turn from a done deal which gets fixed anyway, barely worthy of consideration beyond the spectacle it provides, to an existential threat, and the best way to solve it is to work with the idiosyncratic way the setting functions.
If you believe in Destiny as a real force then betting on the stations of canon is a good safety net. The amount of plot escalation in DxD that happens makes having help worth it.

If you believe in Destiny as a real force then betting on the stations of canon is a good safety net. The amount of plot escalation in DxD that happens makes having help worth it.
Also, it's not like I'm personally interested in girls I have nothing but lust for.
So why break canon and canon sincere romantic relationships for the sake of collecting a waifu? Even if I had a special cheat power that allowed me to defeat everyone myself, I damn well won't believe that this power was given to me for free.
And the more freely this power is given to me, the less I will try to abuse it, because you never know when the entity that threw me into a fictional world will ask for interest and debts.
No thanks, I'm not going to risk my soul or my afterlife for the opportunity to fuck a lefty I don't care about when helping another dude fuck her will put me on the protagonist's friends list.
So if I end up getting fucked by an unknown entity, then at least having a shounen protagonist who considers me his bro would be a great way to tell that entity "fuck you."
Besides, if I was thrown into the world of harem anime, there is no reason to limit myself to known characters.
And if I were the author of such a story, wouldn't it be better to create many original characters for my own harem instead of chasing after others?
Shit, I just realized something horrible. I'm not actually anti or hater of power fantasies. I just hate the narrow-mindedness and fixation on a known waifu when as an author I could create literally any number of waifu I like.:eek:
Oh god no, please erase the last half hour of my life, I don't want to be someone who likes power fantasies. Please NO!!!!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I hate stories that make the villains more incompetent or weaker than they were in canon. Not to mention those that break the laws of narrative tension just to give the heroes "cool" moments.
Well, I personally hate when villains' actions are tried to be justified and given "depth". I can understand creating a dangerous bastard villain who is a problem, but trying to make the villain more gray and justified in his actions is complete nonsense. Maybe the antagonist is a conflict with whom is a gray area of morality. But if the author called the antagonist a villain, then I want to see a villain who I sincerely hate and not start to pity the poor thing. The maximum pity that a villain should evoke is pity for a rabid animal. That would be a real villain.

Well, I personally hate when villains' actions are tried to be justified and given "depth". I can understand creating a dangerous bastard villain who is a problem, but trying to make the villain more gray and justified in his actions is complete nonsense. Maybe the antagonist is a conflict with whom is a gray area of morality. But if the author called the antagonist a villain, then I want to see a villain who I sincerely hate and not start to pity the poor thing. The maximum pity that a villain should evoke is pity for a rabid animal. That would be a real villain.
I feel that's literally the worst way possible to add depth to a villain. There are a hundred different ways to make your villain a rounded character that still keep him every bit as vile as he is supposed to be. Some make him/her even viler.

For example, I've repeatedly stated my preference for SW stories where Dooku and Palpatine are genuine speciests, but also pragmatic about it and how it can be used to rally soldiers to their cause. Or making Salem more of an eldritch threat than a....jilted ex-wife.

I feel that's literally the worst way possible to add depth to a villain. There are a hundred different ways to make your villain a rounded character that still keep him every bit as vile as he is supposed to be. Some make him/her even viler.

For example, I've repeatedly stated my preference for SW stories where Dooku and Palpatine are genuine speciests, but also pragmatic about it and how it can be used to rally soldiers to their cause. Or making Salem more of an eldritch threat than a....jilted ex-wife.
Mad Dog was just an example. It's not for nothing that I think that DxD actually has great villains. They are pragmatic in their decisions and the information they have. From Raynalle who was a real threat to Issei, to Freedom who was sensible enough to run away as soon as it got tough, to Diadora who was smart enough to hide her shit, or Rizevim who was selfless enough to his role to literally bind his own life to the Trigesta seal and not even tell anyone that he had a Deadman's Switch. And these are just brief descriptions. And most importantly, their defeat was always due to a factor beyond their control, from Raynalle misjudging the information to Diadora who only made a mistake when he got drunk on the power given by the snake Ophis.
Hell, literally even the new machine villains waging a war of conquest against other worlds with the goal of genocide have problems that foreshadow defeat, and at the same time these problems are plausible, like infighting within the ranks or arrogance.

Not sure if this a trope, but I hate how Kuroinu fanfic authors buff up Vult or drag the story on. There is a fic with Shirou, and maybe 40+ chapters after and Vult is still alive, kicking and conquering. There is also a Bloodborne? crossover that really blown the number of men Vult has in his Band outta the proportion where the MC managed to have a kill count in the millions, iirc.

Bonus; I hate how everytime Celestine is depicted in Kuroinu fanfics, she always "woke up from nightmare/premonition", and "can't stop thinking about the premonition".

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back