• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

What killed Mike Wong's StarDestroyer.net?

Vashon

Earnest Voice
Gone for Good
For those of you who dont know, SDN was once SBs younger rival, before SV. Long before. And for a while, had a larger userbase and more visitors. It also had a venomous, nasty reputation, and frequently started shit and got shit started with, and its owner, Mike Wong, used to have a hate mail section that was fairly active and to this day, a fun read.

Unlike most pre Chan online communities, SDN openly allowed users to insult, or "flame", the living dogshit out of each other. Now, its focus was almost purely "debate", and for a time, you could even hold certain views that were severely contrary to Wong, so long as you defended them. Although even way back, you could get banned on a moments notice. The two popular subjects were scifi and religion. I dont think there was ever any pretense of good faith(FUCKING LOL) on Mike Wongs part regarding religion.

Nowadays, the majority of the active pop are, or were, staff, that is mods. And Thanas in particular seems to live for logging in and finding someone to ban. Permanently. In fact, as time went on, I dont think SDN even kept handing out tempbans. No, it was perfection or gone for ever. And for the last long long time, Dalton has been running the site....mostly checking to see if there is anything to ban.

But why did it die? They didnt, evidently, ban everyone. Not enough pages of ban log.

You really answered your own question there.

When the choice is between a forum where you can actually debate and one that's forced to be an echo chamber for Mike Wong, people will naturally gravitate to the one that you can actually debate and participate in.

It's probbaly something to do with the fact that Wong stopped even logging and I think he last posted in 2013. Yet strangely still runs the server, which I suspect is probbaly because he uses it for other stuff, though I don't have proof of that theory.

any fun memories anyone would like to share? only know of this site, sv, and sb. (joined in reverse order.)

Welp, just noticed SD.net SSL certif has expired and hasn't bee updated for a few months.

Place really is falling apart.

For those of you who dont know, SDN was once SBs younger rival, before SV. Long before. And for a while, had a larger userbase and more visitors. It also had a venomous, nasty reputation, and frequently started shit and got shit started with, and its owner, Mike Wong, used to have a hate mail section that was fairly active and to this day, a fun read.

Unlike most pre Chan online communities, SDN openly allowed users to insult, or "flame", the living dogshit out of each other. Now, its focus was almost purely "debate", and for a time, you could even hold certain views that were severely contrary to Wong, so long as you defended them. Although even way back, you could get banned on a moments notice. The two popular subjects were scifi and religion. I dont think there was ever any pretense of good faith(FUCKING LOL) on Mike Wongs part regarding religion.

Nowadays, the majority of the active pop are, or were, staff, that is mods. And Thanas in particular seems to live for logging in and finding someone to ban. Permanently. In fact, as time went on, I dont think SDN even kept handing out tempbans. No, it was perfection or gone for ever. And for the last long long time, Dalton has been running the site....mostly checking to see if there is anything to ban.

But why did it die? They didnt, evidently, ban everyone. Not enough pages of ban log.
ICS killed it? Other then the site attitude of course.

Wong, IIRC, tried to legitimately argue that having the President's official resort be called Camp David was akin to some european country naming their retreat "Camp Adolf." All because he viewed David from the Bible as a genocidal maniac? That's how crazy he was or is on the religion bandwagon.

Wong, IIRC, tried to legitimately argue that having the President's official resort be called Camp David was akin to some european country naming their retreat "Camp Adolf." All because he viewed David from the Bible as a genocidal maniac? That's how crazy he was or is on the religion bandwagon.
Wasn't David the name of Ike's son?

I think now we can say with reasonably certainty that 'Mike Wong' is the answer to the title question. It's his fault that the forum he created is now a headless zombie, shambling along, unable to eat brains because it has no head, instead of being alive and interesting (though it may have survived longer if it had become headless sooner, ironically, or if he'd allowed someone else to form the head).

Here's the thread where Wherewing admits that he doesn't care about the Facts around camp David.

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=1677

Darth Dumbass himself said:
So? How does that change the fact that the name "David" was most famous for belonging to a legendary Arab-killer? I know a mechanic named Adolf, but if I decided to hold talks with a local Jewish group and call it "Camp Adolf", that would mean something, wouldn't it?

Welp

Mike was very passionate in his day, even relatively articulate in his nonsense. In all honesty, he probably got tired of spending so much time on bullshit forum antics considering he had a pretty full life offline. SD.net is just a sad remnant of a far stupider time.

I went and looked again and he was exactly the kind of incoherent mess you see on tumblr now. Which means what he really was, was a pioneer. He was a tumblrina 5 years before such a thing even existed.:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back