1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Worm and Ward discussion and debate thread

Discussion in 'CW Index' started by OverReactionGuy, Jul 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DraconianGreed

DraconianGreed I trust you know where the happy button is?

Cauldron just didn't know that Scion is a depressed idiot, right? They only knew that he had an aversion to looking where there's concentrations of case-53s which are like hosts who wear the Thinker's entrails, I guess.
    Did Cauldron memory-wipe every case-53 in fear of them revealing cauldron has access to other dimensions to Scion or something? Why did they release the case-53s in the first place then...?

Really the biggest issue for me right now, is I am trying to come up with a reason other than stupid-evilness as for why Cauldron wiped Sveta's memory. In my fic, a version of her gets her memories back, but since my mc isn't an SI they're finding out about Cauldron from her perspective.
    Stole her(him at first I guess) from her world before she died, experimented on her and then wiped her memories.
    Could they not find a use for her? She lived in a cell anyway, so it would be better for her to be cauldron where they might get a loyal minion a la the way Coil kept Echidna/Noelle under control.

Like seriously. I can either have it be that they took one look at Sveta and then wordlessly had the Slug get to work on her (incongruous with how they have a living mass of air guarding cauldron's main base.) or make Sveta into a Goku expy where pre-memory wipe she was just uncontrollably enraged or something.
    Even then, why did they release Sveta afterward?

Was the release of the case-53s all bids to give some potential cape a bad day so that Cauldron could incidentally create a powerful cape for the final fight? Since Victoria exists with her having budded off of Dean, a vial cape, Cauldron should have sent the case-53s in endless droves against cape families with third-generation capes and such like Aster.

No seriously, what the fuck was Cauldron doing letting Jack Slash get away with his crap? The only powerful capes he ever made that could be useful were like two! And cauldron didn't even make use of them! Jesus Christ! I'd like to buff Jack so that he becomes a cognito-hazard even for Contessa but then what's the point of Doctor Mother? Am I going to have to just scape goat Doctor Mother or something?

One of Cauldron's biggest mistakes was letting Jack Slash keep Bonesaw. The second Bonesaw demonstrated her ability to mess with powers, Contessa should have made plans for stealing her from Jack Slash. Or if Jack Slash really was such a threat with Broadcast, have Doctor Mother put together a team of military contractors to pull an extraction.
    So many problems would be solved by Bonesaw. Its not even funny. There had to be striker powers that would let her operate even on someone like Weld. I think the only cape Bonesaw might find impossible to mess with would be Dragon since her corona pollentia was probably a mass of incomprehensible code.
    But that's not what my mc could gripe about since they wouldn't know about Bonesaw's abilities.

Also, Nepea-5 makes no sense, it completely ignores the economic principle with comparative advantages. I guess it might have helped the PRT and Protectorate form but that's the only utility it had. Cauldron was extremely dumb for ripping out one of the ways humanity reached the heights it did as a possibility from all capes. Greed makes for a powerful driving force.

Could you tell I was/am losing my mind writing this?

I guess my only option is to turn Jack into a cognitohazard even for Contessa. So maybe Cauldron would never have known to steal Bonesaw. That leaves the Case-53 issue, though. I could just have Cauldron not notice what possibilities Victoria's existence hints at and/or its impossible to bud off of case-53s since they happen in the first place because of faulty Firmament connections. Still, that means none of the case-53s should have been released.
    That leaves me with... just have Cauldron releasing Case-53s out of the goodness of their hearts....? Seriously? What kind of incompetent "necessary-evil" are they?

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    paulster040 likes this.
  2. Enohthree

Enohthree Versed in the lewd.

The weird thing about this is the fact that Doctor Mother, right after Hero dies and Alexandria is recovering from having her eye gouged out, floats the idea of leaving the Slaughterhouse 9 be so that they can make more capes with their atrocities. Alexandria's response is no, they're not going to do that. That would be dumb. They're going to deal with them.

And then it's canon times and Jack Slash has apparently just gotten away with his nonsense despite this actively being rejected by the Hard Woman making Hard Decisions?

3. DraconianGreed

Hwhy?
    Now I know almost all the blame lies on the fucking idiot that is Doctor Mother...
    Doesn't she cuss out the case-53s or something equally ridiculous?
    Eh at least I know where my plot is going now.

In the end, I guess its all Harry Potter Adult/Teacher syndrome.

4. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Something something Broadcast trumps Contessa, probably.

Like, Broadcast keeps whispering "Hey man, so we're cool, yeah? My Host is great, no need to add killing him as a step in your plans, right?" to PTV.

DraconianGreed likes this.
  5. DraconianGreed

That's what I'm going to do, but it still makes Cauldron look fucking incompetent. All of their thinking shouldn't rely on a black-boxed AI with dubious motivations.

Wasn't there a fic where Contessa goes to meet some economics or history professor and she realizes her PtV is actually path to pyrrhic victory? That was a cool moment.

shadowdice and Prince Charon like this.
  6. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

It's because they chose the worst possible time to screw over Cauldron. Also, Cauldron regards Sveta along with the vast majority of Case 53 subjects as being utterly worthless with them at best being cannon fodder against Scion to buy a few seconds for somebody actually useful.

Prince Charon likes this.
  7. DraconianGreed

So they shot themselves in the foot with needless contempt for their victims? I know what I must do now.

Prince Charon likes this.
  8. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

I think way back that wog was Jack would beat Contessa in a fight.

Probably because Jack has the most plot armor.

-edit-

I mean, he also basically ruins every fanfic he's in too.

-edit-

well, the ones that don't straight up kill him right away and allow him to get away with so much shit.

9. DraconianGreed

I was going to try converting the costs of powers available on CYOA power lists into years of shard power. Essentially something like 270 years of power would equal to only so many points.
    My idea was to think of all the CYOA powers being held by a single being to be the equivalent of Zion and Eden, but that gives me two ways of adding up their holistic power at cycle start:
    The 5200 capes who fought in Gold Morning times 300(for years of power for each shard)
    or
    6.98 billion capes from considering Cauldron's logic for the terminus project times 300

If having Gold morning happen earlier was considered optimal by all the powerful thinkers then what was the reason behind Cauldron doing terminus? That just seems like a waste of resources to me when they should be more worried about surviving the eldritch god that is Zion.

I guess they only had to give Coil his one vial, but still... that simulation ability seems like something they could have used for so many other things.

Now I realize I can just have 300 years equal however many points a CYOA character starts with, but my confusion with why Terminus project happened still exists. I get it can all be dismissed as "Wildbow wrote himself into a corner like Kishimoto," but I think that's a boring and useless doylist answer. I would like a Watsonian answer.

Huh... I guess the Thinkers saw the rate of increase of capes slowing down and realized the number of capes would peak so prolonging the end was deemed suboptimal. Maybe Cauldron started the Terminus Project before realizing they needed to trigger Gold Morning sooner rather than later.

Last edited: May 3, 2023
    paulster040 likes this.
  10. T-bone

T-bone Not too sore, are you?

I would like to give a idea for you all. My idea is a Worm react fic to Selector’s Haze Gray from FanFiction. I am not good at writing stories but am good at giving ideas, as I keep hitting writer’s block after writing out part of it. I would like if people adopted my stories but I have low hopes they will be completed.