• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Is that story also a social critique, or was this played straight?
Vorkosigan Saga usually has some social critique, but I think contraceptive implants were a put forward as a serious population control method. It pretty much works out fine for them.
Because birth-control has almost always been laden on the woman when there are similar options for men.
That's true... but I'm not sure how a contraceptive implant would work for men. Suppose that a man gets a child permit, gets the implant disabled, then goes to have sex with two different women, getting both of them pregnant. It seems like it would need to re-enable itself after every ejaculation, or it wouldn't really work.

you can just set the fine for piracy to the value of the work.
No, no, no. That's the mistake that the US govt makes too, except worse and it does it intentionally. You make the fines start at the cost of the crime. If you charge them the cost of the actual purchase, what's the incentive? Plus, if the money is distributed back to the music producers, then the govt doesn't get any money to pay for the people and equipment that was needed to actually enact this.

No, no, no. That's the mistake that the US govt makes too, except worse and it does it intentionally. You make the fines start at the cost of the crime.
What are you talking about? You can be sued for up to $150000 per work in the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_damages_for_copyright_infringement
There are famous cases:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/webguide/music/2004-05-26-riaa-vs-minnesotan_x.htm
http://tech.mit.edu/V126/N15/RIAA1506.html

please don't spark a derail about the RIAA please don't spark a derail about the RIAA please don't spark a derail about the RIAA
If you charge them the cost of the actual purchase, what's the incentive? Plus, if the money is distributed back to the music producers, then the govt doesn't get any money to pay for the people and equipment that was needed to actually enact this.
Okay, then fine them twice the cost of the purchase. Or the cost of the purchase plus $100. The point is that it doesn't need to be as much if it's more consistently enforced.

Last edited:
And, really, Jackercracks is seriously underestimating this. Both in numbers (10,000? Don't make me laugh.)

Haha, you got me. I was lowballing it because saying millions/billions/trillions/10^83 of worlds just uses numbers so high that they don't have any emotional impact. Also, I totally didn't think of mining the earth's core, so that increases the resources available by several orders of magnitude.

lets talk about shop about new colonialism.i'm kinda pissed no one thinks the mandate is a great idea and to top it off i think Weld might be immortal like Zack.

please don't spark a derail about the RIAA please don't spark a derail about the RIAA please don't spark a derail about the RIAA
Oh, my bad entirely. I wasn't clear enough. I meant in their actions for other kinds of crimes, not piracy in particular. More specifically, fines where the perpetrators are corporations.

For instance, I remember a banking scandal a year or so ago, where illegal actions that netted them billions were met with a fine in the millions. It was obscene.

Sorry for not being clear.
Okay, then fine them twice the cost of the purchase. Or the cost of the purchase plus $100. The point is that it doesn't need to be as much if it's more consistently enforced.
Yeah, all of that is fine, and along the lines of what I meant.

Last edited:
Well, I got us started on birth control, we might as well drag things down even more.
Let's bring in gun control, too.
lets talk about shop about new colonialism.i'm kinda pissed no one thinks the mandate is a great idea
I assume you're talking about this:
they could have a reservation on avalon for former C.U.I. Citizens only with a mandate that they shall never govern themselves or seek political office.
it's a better bargain then what they would get back home,the mandate is to prevent any fanatics spying or trying to sabotage Avalon.anyway it would probably be in place for at least 150 years. that's long enough for the old generations to die.then their great grandchildren can vote to ratify the mandate or not.
It's a terrible idea. I assume you're talking about doing this in retaliation for the CUI murdering a city in order to kill Behemoth. Here's the thing: that is not the worst war crime committed in the past 150 years. That is not even the worst war crime committed by China in the past 150 years.

You'd need to appoint leaders of their government. They would sometimes do unpopular things. This would make citizens unhappy. Some of them would riot, and you'd either need to spend time and political legitimacy stopping them, or accept the disruption. Everyone would hate this, and they would be perfectly justified in doing so.

Then the CUI would invade, and annex the territory. You might say, "Well, Pantheon has memetic Skitter, so they autowin," but the CUI is perfectly capable of creating a war that Pantheon is not willing to win. For example, if Khepri sent in huge bugs, the Yangban could use attacks that level several city blocks to kill the bugs.
and to top it off i think Weld might be immortal like Zack.
That's not necessarily a good thing. Earthquakes kill 13000 people each year. It's really only a matter of time before you're trapped and unable to move while people build new buildings on top of you.
Until he starts rusting.
Or that. This is my new headcanon for why he keeps Sveta around - applying the WD40. (His hands would stick to the can, you see.)
Sorry for not being clear.
Ah, gotcha.

Last edited:
Instead of a mandate that automatically treats an entire group of people are second class citizens, why not use that perfect lie detection tech to simply ask a few questions like...
"Do you have any intention of sabotaging Pantheon and/or Avalon?"​
"Are you going to spy on Pantheon and/or Avalon?"​
etc.

People who are sincere about starting a new life on Avalon go on through. People that don't get sent back.

PHO Omake
So this derailed far faster then I expected it would, apparently crazy and discussion just don't mix

Honestly if I'd left the computer and come back I would have thought I was surfing 4chan. Twisted, out of control and paranoid; sure but quite accurate.

Great chapters Tananari thank you,

G23

I believe that Weld's life (and the lives of many other Case 53s) is intimately tied to his shard: without his shard maintaining the breaker effect that keeps him alive he's essentially a statue. He can come right back once it starts being applied again, but if the shard was destroyed or otherwise stopped helping him his life is over. So odds of actually surviving even close to forever seems... unlikely. His extra-dimensional life support system is a lot more vulnerable than he is in at least some ways.

Last edited:
Instead of a mandate that automatically treats an entire group of people are second class citizens, why not use that perfect lie detection tech to simply ask a few questions like...
"Do you have any intention of sabotaging Pantheon and/or Avalon?"
"Are you going to spy on Pantheon and/or Avalon?"​
etc.

People who are sincere about starting a new life on Avalon go on through. People that don't get sent back.
RaptureTech is not infallible they could have the power to bypass it or be hypnotized or mastered sleeper agents.there wont be any disenfranchise citizens on Avalon,they just wont have any political authority.

RaptureTech is not infallible they could have the power to bypass it or be hpynotized or mastered sleeper agents.there wont be any disenfranchise citizens on Avalon,they just wont have any potical authority.

"We've developed a mass production system for what are, essentially, perfect lie detectors." SurpriseAnticipation. "In essense, your legal system will never be held back by the need to consider whether a criminal is actually guilty or not. With exception to parahumans who might have resistance to the tech through any number of possible methods. They'll be considerably more difficult to handle, but are fairly rare."

Your argument is literally "Well, a small minority of them might be able to get around it. We should clearly limit the rights of all the people."

Yeah it seems like criminal investigation may be a two-phase process:

Is this person a parahuman?
IF NO: use lie detectors and trust results.
IF YES: escalate to management.

This is a fine process.

I would like to point out their legal system is greatly affected by people with the ability or technology to alter memories. You know, that thing they are perfectly capable of doing, themselves? I'd have pointed this out sooner, but I only just read the last two updates.

Yeah, Pantheon and others with the same ability can frame anybody they want under the proposed plan.

Yeah it seems like criminal investigation may be a two-phase process:

Is this person a parahuman?
IF NO: use lie detectors and trust results.
IF YES: escalate to management.

This is a fine process.
and what if was a human Manchurian Candidate that gets though...yeah, that would be a disaster.

RaptureTech is not infallible they could have the power to bypass it or be hypnotized or mastered sleeper agents.
Okay, but that's also true of pretty much anyone from any country. The CUI could teleport into some prospective citizens house, have their Master stare at them for 10 minutes (or however their power works) and teleport away.
there wont be any disenfranchise citizens on Avalon,they just wont have any political authority.
North Korea gives all citizens over the age of 17 the right to "elect and be elected." Just because people have the right to vote doesn't make a country a democracy.

North Korea gives all citizens over the age of 17 the right to "elect and be elected." Just because people have the right to vote doesn't make a country a democracy.
who ever said Avalon was a true democracy,it looks like a militarized Federacy on it's way to became a Confederation with Gaea and Khepri as the high queens of Avalon.

The whole alternate worlds thing reminds me of how a setting like Worm is ripe for a crossover with Nanoha. Dimensional shenanigans are right up TSAB's alley.

It makes me wonder if there is any person or group on an alternate Earth capable of dimensional travel without being connected to the Entities or parahumans in any way.

here a song for a little lady and her friends as they look though a maze in to their past and how they struggle to find a future for themselves.this is Foal's "Spanish Sahara"

Last edited:
lets talk about shop about new colonialism.i'm kinda pissed no one thinks the mandate is a great idea and to top it off i think Weld might be immortal like Zack.

Don't forget, Alexandria is immortal by canon. We don't really know the effects on the brain of living forever, but that's the only part of her that COULD lead to her death.

who ever said Avalon was a true democracy,it looks like a militarized Federacy on it's way to became a Confederation with Gaea and Khepri as the high queens of Avalon.
True, but it sounds like people will choose how their local governments will be run, which matters a lot.
that means she ends up the prettiest Alzheimer's patient.
I wouldn't want to be the orderly assigned to her.

"Ma'am, you have to take your medicine! Come down from there!"

So, I wonder how long it will take Emma and Trevor to crack dimensional gates?
If they could dedicate time to it, probably not very long? The problem is that they keep getting other things to worry about. Sure, taking the time now to work on the dimensional gates would probably pay off in a huge way later, but it would be difficult to justify it when they could be doing Endbringer prep.

I imagine that they're mostly working on it during the spare time, off camera.

Clearly, they need to activate clone bodies and let them do that work.
emot-v.gif

But in all seriousness, they already have a lot of the work done from Dragon's research of Dr. Haywire's tech. It's just a matter of expanding on it with their own abilities.

I wonder how horrified Faultline would be if she was in charge and actually made a planetary sacrifice like she mentioned... and then learned that it was utterly irrelevant because the EBs are in no way constrained by dimensional boundaries like that and want to stay with their Daddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back