1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to some issues with Freenode, the QQ IRC Channel is moving. See here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Archon Malison [Pathfinder Kingmaker]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Imperator Pax, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

Archon Malison
    A Pathfinder Kingmaker Story
    Prologue
    The Church of Our Lady of Valor, Brevoy, Avistan
    4th month of the year 4710AR

Exiting to desktop, and heading to bed in the middle of a growing storm, and then waking up somewhere else entirely. An inability to say his own name, and face that wasn't his. A body that wasn't his own... and one he wasn't even sure was entirely human. In Another world. The world of Galorian, and in the land called Astivan... this was 'Pathfinder' at least so far as he knew it... which wasn't to say much. The truth was he had barely given Pathfinder tabletop the time of day.

It wasn't the first time he had had that thought. At least it wasn't Faerun, he mused his consciousness expanding such that he recognized the weight of the pistol on his hip.

A weapon that he had not indulged the use of. It worked... but he only had so much ammunition for it... that he had it at all had only engendered more confusion to his arrival in this world. It had been a long time since he had gone to bed, sleeping in a plate carrier, never mind the full battle rattle he had woken up on the stream a year ago.

A year and a day, his mind amended... and that prep suggested one thing, but the presence of other weapons suggested others. The load out suggested some degree of thought had gone into it. He had no memory of having the time to assemble the equipment. He only remembered rain sheeting off eaves, and the sound of a thunderous storm building in the sky above.

There was a quick wrap at the door to his small second story chamber overlooking the courtyard, “Brother Eire, news of interest.” The young voice of a novice called from beyond the wooden portal. He stood up and moved to the door, and opened it. The human novice was average in basically all respects, only Isaac's tunic, and the badge of the church of the lady of valor distinguished the brown haired youth. Eire's willowy form all but towered over him. Brown eyes met silver ones, eyes that seemed to be pools of quicksilver.

“News?” He asked, a crime to investigate perhaps.

“From Restov, one of the sword lords there wants to organize an expedition into the stolen lands. Their messenger alights in the hall.” He meant the communal hall where the church of the lady of valor gathered to have their meals. Iomedae was the sun goddess, and her faithful had given him shelter, and a place to live despite not being a member of their faith. He still wasn't, truthfully out of time and space he had no idea why he could cast divine magic but Avistan was a dangerous continent. A land of wilderness, and filled with a varied multitude of threats ranging from common bandits to the ambitions of great houses... from kobolds to dragons.

He followed the young initiate careful to keep his steps from overtaking the younger man. Isaac was not the only red chasuble clad teenage boy fretting too and fro going to fetch residents, and guests to hear the news from messenger...

He was certainly dressed the part of a Restov dandy. Not an Aldori personally but one of their hangers on. He had the look though of one who at least aspired to swear the sword oath and the demeanor of a young man who had fought plenty of duels for honor, or pride. The dandy had little dueling scars on his cheeks to show for that, which could have easily been healed with magic... the noble had chosen to keep them. He too was about average human height being perhaps just more than five six. Despite he and the novice being shorter than many of the taller broad shouldered men around them they still stood tall as the presiding priest of Iomedae, Ser Adino stood at the high table. He was a proud tall man much closer to Eire's height, and much broader, he had bronze skin, and dark chin strap beard. The badge of his office a finely crafted long sword. The long sword was the most common weapon in the hall.

“Brothers, harken hear our guests words. Sir Viginn.”

The young noble nodded, and thankfully did not bless the assembled in the name of Abadar or any other deity from the step just below the great stained glass window which displayed the Inheritor as a plate clad woman with black hair cut short wielding a long sword. Eire shook his head and listened to the Rostlander speak of his mistress's search for heroes and that any bold enough should come to her mansion in Restov.

It was clear that this... Jamandi, and her lackey thought the church would have an abundance predisposed to bring civilization to the barbarous frontier that was the expanse of the Stolen Lands. If the Aldori swordlord had been banking on such, she had been correct, many clamored at the prospect of going to the swordlord's invitation to come to her manner.

There was of course a small problem, one only to be broached after Ser Viginn had departed along the river road. “This swordlord's entreatment smells of political maneuvering.” Adino remarked steeping his hands in front of him from where he sat behind the table. “I will not forbade any who feel the calling to go forth, and of course wish you the blessing of the light of the sword on your path, but keep mindful of such machinations as lurk in the hearts of men.”

Iomedae's concern of course entailed rulership, and she was a young goddess. Her faithful in Rostland and throughout Brevoy could use the foothold to expand the faith's influence. That was the prospect many of the adventurer's proclaimed as an advantage to going to answer Jamandi's request.

“I too will take my leave, then.”

“Your talents have been of great service to the faith Brother,” Adino replied nodding, “This past year has been made easier with your aid. I am grateful for that,” and then with slightly less solemn formality, “you are the closest thing we have to an inquisitor, and certainly a skilled investigator.”

They broke bread, and all ate dinner in the hall that night, with nearly half of the resident's hall going to pack for the journey to the Free City of Restov. Eire washed his hands in the basin, grateful for Iomedae's insistence on cleanliness as a tenant and stared down at the face in the ever clean water in the enchanted basin. The quicksilver eyes and the face they were set in were framed by hair the red of autumn leaves. He dried his hands, and turned away from the ripples distorting the image in the bowl, and to his small bed and to his worldly possessions. Both those he had accrued in a year of living as apart of the Church, and those he had woken in this world with.

It had not escaped that the firearms he might have understood, but that he had awoken with no electronics. No cell phone... no computer. Not that, he recognized, the batteries would have lasted all that long here. All the same it seemed unlike him to have not brought anything electronic at all. The lack of a camera could have been explained away... but the lack of a flashlight? That would have been supremely unlike him. Still the batteries in his streamlight wouldn't have lasted all that long, but it still even a year later struck him as strange.

Most of the food he had packed had since been eaten, not all of it, but most. He had to eat the junk food, the cookies would have gone stale otherwise the chocolate would have melted, and so on. Not that Brevoy didn't have surprisingly diverse and varied foodstuffs for a largely medieval world. Iomedae's church provided fish for friday's... rather Fireday... meals, and the church garden, which was communal that he helped tend provided seasonal fruits and vegetables. A wide range from asparagus and strawberries, to potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, and cabbage, and more. The church grounds had an apiary, and an apple orchard as well. It was not quite self sufficient in food production but Our Lady of Valor was not utterly dependent on trade either. He had spent the last year eating quite well really.

Perhaps he would return though, but Jamandi's request though had caught his attention.

Commentary: Minor revisions, but to go over, this is partially inspired by both replaying Kingmaker, but also Bear Ribs ' Drow CYOA, and this would have stayed in the Misc thread for a couple more updates but like the story based on Cimbri's battletech Isekai this has kind of started to get a bit long. Indeed like both of those stories, this is also accumulating something of a playlist of sons...

One thing I should make clear. That comment up at the top at the start of the prologue, I am not nearly as familiar with pathfinder as I am with most mainline DnD settings. So this story is going hand in hand with reading through source books. So If I get something wrong lore wise, let me know, I may not necessarily change it, but I will read up on it.

So directly from the misc thread:

Regarding that, Pathfinder Kingmaker works of First Edition Pathfinder, Eire, like Arjun (the protag for my story based off of the Drow CYOA) is working off gestalt rules (for 3.5, I have no idea if Pathfinder has or utilizes those rules). We'll get more in-depth in terms of that, and exactly how closely I'll be sticking to Pathfinder PnP rules... down the road, since most likely as with the Drow CYOA and 3.5 some gameplay segregation will occur. The matter of firearms will take something of an inspiration from Star Ocean 2 in this respect as guns actually work in Galorian, and in particular there are classes for that but the principle limitation is rather realistically the matter of ammo in medieval setting. I.E. bullets used up with out a way to replenish them are going to quickly be used up... and we won't be going to Numeria anytime soon.

AR Days of the week... brace yourselves... moonday toilday wealday oathday fireday starday sunday. Don't get me wrong linguistically pretty much all indo european languages + going back to like ancient babylon have a bunch of days that mean fundamentally the same damn thing or are equivalents. Though honestly I'd have toilday be thursday and oathday be tuesday but its fine.

2. ProfessorP.Hardraad

ProfessorP.Hardraad Thread Necromancer

Interesting. Will you be saying screw Paizo and romancing Amiri? Or will you be following the story the game made?

3. Imperator Pax

While I don't really get why Amiri wasn't an option, I mean yes she's a canonical iconic hero but doesnt really justify it for me. I don't think she'll be a romance option here. In part because I haven't gone down that rabbit yet, but I'm probably going to hedge no.

[Spoiler Pax is a basic bitch I really like the tiefling twins, I'm not going to say that that happens, because its not written yet, but it also probably won't.]

So to answer the second question particularly as it relates to the above... this is an isekai.

THe protag's last thing action before coming to Golarion was beating the game and killing the laughing lie, and is now basically at the beginning of the game this will thus largely follow the game's story line. I don't have the AP (I can borrow it from a friend and probably will to read up) but as it sits right now the canonical events to an extent will continue well at least through Act 1, Act 2 will in particular start to change in particular, and that will effect things. But I have basically not touched the Romance planning for this right now, though Amiri will be sticking around

4. Lordotic32

Lordotic32 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Pathfinder 2e has gestalt rules, but I think you should be fine applying 3.5e gestalt rules to the Pathfinder 1e ruleset.

5. Threadmarks: The First Step Part 1
    Imperator Pax

The First Step
    Part 1
    The Free City of Restov
    River Kingdoms, Avistan

Jamandi Aldori's Mansion was every bit as opulent as he expected. Though mansion was probably... technically the wrong word. It was a fortified manor estate. Jamandi was an influential figure, the half elf had summoned them here to hold court of her political machinations of those lands to the south.

Mansion or manor though it didn't matter it was opulently furnished with stoked hearths and great tables of carefully hewn foreign hardwoods, and rugs from distant lands. The whole affair was designed to impress visitors with the splendor and wealth of a sword lord.

... and she seemed intent on making everyone soak it up. That or there was some screw up in the kitchen. The gathering had promised food, which was a relatively sure way of getting adventurers to show up and at least hear you out in Brevoy. He supposed there were other possibilities, but at the same time adventurers weren't known to be a patient lot, and the crowd gathered in the hall were beginning to do more than fidget, and some more than others. Even in a room full of adventurers Eire recognized he stood out. Most were human, and most were dressed in the costumes common to those of Brevoy, but it wasn't as if he were the only oddity among the crowd. There were non native, to Brevoy, human adventurers. There were half elves, dwarves, and a fewer number of half orcs. It was the diversity so much that both made him almost want to laugh, or just be uncomfortable... because he had expected this. Particularly the boisterous outburst of impatience from the northern barbarian woman with the giant's bastard sword. "Where are they? This is taking forever!" Amiri complained, and any smiling Eire might have engaged in was stilled as a the annoying Gnome sorcerer spoke up.

Tartuccio looked ridiculous, and he was a Pitaxian spy... and also that he'd be reincarnated into Tartuk.... and Eire would have been lying at least in relation to the idea of having a kingdom with Trolls and Kobolds didn't at some level appeal to him... though maybe less so facing the issue of having to live in the world. That was a collection was a collection of details that would have been... hard to explain to anyone else.

Linzi spoke up to shush them as the half elf sword lord approached.

Jamandi Aldori by comparison to trappings of wealth on the walls and floor was as she made her way to before the high table was dressed in imminently practical fashions of a Brevoy noble of the martial classes. That wasn't to say she was under dressed but that she had not draped herself in the fineries of the lord mayor of Restov. Ioseph Sellemius was a bald man in a burgundy doublet that probably cost equal to that of a good horse. The rest of his attire was equally fine. The human mayor had likely risen to his rank for brains rather than brawn since he wore no sword, and lacked the patchwork dueling scares one often saw on the dueling prone nobility of the kingdom.

... and maybe he wasn't brains behind this but he was almost certainly involved. Because this was an attempt to win independence from the Surotov overlordship after the disappearance of the Royal House of the kingdom roughly a decade earlier. Not that Jamandi was going to just come out and say that this early, instead simply welcoming them to her mansion. "... now to the point, south of here just beyond Brevoy's border lies a region known as the stolen lands. This is disputed territory, and while its long been claimed by nearby states, its never been truly taken." The sword lord paused in her prepared speech, and then sweepingly declared that she wouldn't bore the assembled 'heroes' of the legal technicalities, but that suffice to say if someone, anyone could seize the lands would be able to take for themselves the title of Baron. Naturally of course such a figure would be recognized by Restov first.

The only obstacle in the way of such a would be ruler would be the matter of the bandits brought together under the 'Stag Lord' of course. He would need to be taken care of.

Naturally, once that was all done surely it would be easy. It wouldn't be, but he doubted the half elf sword lord knew anything about the greater metaphysical plot... and it she likely wanted fait accompli to any barony that did develop from the Stolen Lands. He found though that he really had nothing to say to ask about questions. No one else seemed prepared to pose any questions to the quest set before, how much of that was a matter of 'Kill bandit become noble' seeming too good to be true, or a dream come true was up in the air. Jamandi dissolved the conversation by inviting them to speak among each other, and take advantage of the food promised to those gathered who had come to heed her summons.

Eire shifted his weight. That was the uncomfortable thing really, not that he was the only adventurer in the hall still carrying most of his personal belongings. He had allowed the groom at the estate's entrance to take his horse and tack for the animal to the manor's stable, but he and several others had chosen to retain their equipment. Lady Jamandi didn't seem to have taken offense. As he turned he felt a sharp almost child like tug at his sleeve, and looked down. The truth was since awakening in Avistan he had found it some what difficult to mentally separate Gnomes and Halflings... he really shouldn't have but it was something of a quirk in dealing with the two small folk. Not a problem he had with dwarves, but just a problem of living here a year now

"Hi," The halflings voice squeaked, "My name's Linzi! I'm a bard, though this my first real adventure. So, shall we go teach this Stag Lord a lesson?"

He felt a flash of phantom pain, and stopped himself from speaking of the great feats that surely awaited them. It wouldn't do to jinx it even as he spied the magic ring she wore, and Shelyn's divine magic present within it. "I am called Eire, I am pleased to meet you." He enunciated.

She beamed in response, "Likewise, actually also wanted to ask you something..." Tartuccio, even with such limited exposure to the gnome the sorcerer had already rubbed the bard the wrong way with his arrogance. Linzi endorsement that he should be team leader spoke of fate shaping what lay ahead... but at the very least he supposed anyone would have been better than the Pitaxian spy.

Word for word he answered with the game's line, because it was natural, "I'm not hero, just a mercenary." And it occurred to him that while that might well be true it would not just be the Pitaxian schemes, or the Suratovan schemes or the schemes of those who wanted an independent Rostland... even setting aside the games plot... how likely was it that the year he had spent in service to the Church of Iomedae might well be taken as indication of political affiliation?

Those ruminations were lost on the exited halfing. To busy, was she rushing to explain the problems of books, and stories of heroes being written years after events had occurred. Which was a fair enough complaint, though one that was somewhat problematic at the same time... he wondered how much 'freedom of the press' existed in Golarion. The halfling elected to retire early to write, and left the hall her plate nearly comically clean of all but a few breadcrumbs.

He looked around the great hall. He had no interest in listening to Tartuccio talk, and Linzi had already said that Harrim in typical groteus devotee fashion was predicting impending doom. One of the tiefling twins lurked in the corner, there Jaethal, and Amiri of course... Valerie seemed to have been missing... or had she even been in the hall during the game in the first place, and Garess had just mentioned double the guards as a precaution.

Eire wondered frankly if that had happened in canon, had it? If so, then... well there wasn't much to do here, but to wait and see if the attack came in the night.

--
    The rooms that Jamandi had furnished for her guests were not quite as extravagant as the trappings of the hall, but were still spacious and well furnished dominated by the four poster bed in the center of the room. More so than what he had been used to this past year, but nothing that compared to modern conveniences of the earth he had left behind. The truth was he didn't look forward to the day eventually when his otherworld possessions finally wore out.

Boots, socks, underwear, baselayer, undershirt, shirts, gloves... and that was just the clothing... and technically the jacket, but even as he ran a contemplative hand over the digital camouflage pattern of the bag he reiterated to himself some would last longer than others. The wool socks were holding up surprisingly well... socks like them had gotten through Afghanistan well enough. The boots too. It had been stupid to pack morale shirts and only that he wasn't wearing them very often was why they were still in good condition. Maybe there was a mend spell for underwear.

With something of resigned sigh he sorted through the rucksack. He had accumulated a share full of local goods, and items... no bag of holding. He had heard that they existed, but they were expensive, and he'd yet to even see one in person. He put aside a flask had at one point held eighteen year single malt, but now held mead. No drinking tonight, if an attack game he needed to be ready. If an attack did come he was going to leave most of his possessions here... but what he was digging out was the question.

He pushed the pins down into the receiver mating upper and lower together and pulled the protective padding from its low power optic. Would he use it tonight? He thought of the orcs that had died. Guns weren't unknown to this world, but he was pretty sure there was only black powder... besides out right magic guns. He didn't have a lot of ammo left... and besides those orcs most of the work he had done in the church's service this past year had been in urban environs. In places where fighting hadn't really been the primary calling. For almost the whole of the last year the rifle had remained in his accommodations at the church.

Eire frowned and placed the weapon carefully on the camouflage poncho liner he had stretched out over the provided bed. No. He couldn't be sure of what was going to happen tonight, and while it might be risky it would probably be best to conserve what rifle ammo he had left. After all he had magic now, but even that thought was somewhat moderated by the recognition that over time his plate carrier, and its armor would have to eventually be replaced by more local protections. Magical or otherwise. As it had been at least in the hall full of adventurers they had only been wearing chainmail at most. That had been true of much of his experience large amounts of metal armor were uncommon it seemed, maybe it was an expense thing, maybe it was the encumbrance. Eire suspected it was also probably a money thing.

He doubted this was going to be like the game where he could kill massive hordes of bandits and just loot them of apparently decent quality armor... yet not then deposit that armor in an armory for the baronial guard... or later kingdom. Eire turned as the candle lighting the room flickered... it was a simple beeswax candle not really any different than the one used at the Church, but the fixture was a more ornate bronze lamp housing. Glass was expensive, and well Jamandi probably didn't want her guests accidentally starting a fire. It flickered again, which it shouldn't be doing.

Eire was used to his image in the mirror now. It had been strange, but most people just nodded along when he said he was human... he wasn't sure what he was. He'd played the campaign through always as human, so the new body had been strange. The quicksilver eyes in the mirror were beginning to bleed into a red that was like, reminded him of a lava lamp.

He didn't have time to ruminate on it. It was gone in a moment and ... the attack had begun. Linzi came screeching through the door.
    --
    Commentary: and this is a two parter and borrows heavily from the first half hour of the game or however long it takes to murder all the attacking goons. Lot of goons. I can't imagine how long running that in tabletop would take. That would be a whole session, which is fine.

Anyway, red eyes take warning, etc etc we will pick up with Linzi's dialogue regarding oh everything on fire and we're under attack...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  6. Threadmarks: The First Step Part 2
    Imperator Pax

The First Step
    Part 2
    The scared halfling had rushed through the doorway wrenching it open hard enough that it banged into the wall with an authoritative clang, "Help, help." She cried clutching her crossbow, her face stained with sweat and streaked with soot. Before he could ask... not that he really needed to, she panting-ly continued, "The mansion is under attack. We need to help." Villains had broken into the manor and begun attacking everyone, and of course the heroic thing to do was to assist Jamandi's guards in repelling this malicious breach of the peace.

A scream tore through the corridors reverberating off fancy marble floors of this wing of the manor as she finished her account of what was going on. To interrupt anything further a villain appeared in the doorway sprinting into the room, "You're not going anywhere!" He declared in what was presumably the young man's most authoritative or menacing tone... menacing he had probably been going for menacing.

Linzi must have thought so as she scampered to one side, which took her neatly out of the line of fire, literally, as the man drew his dagger from his belt. Eire raised a long arm and splayed out slender digits and fire boiled from his finger tips. The rogue howled as his menacing advance cut short his hands rushing to clutch at his burning face as skin melted. Eire's other hand had pulled his long sword from his belt stepped forward and swung an unpitying strike that dropped the mortally wounded killer into a bloody heap, his throat and neck opened in an almost six inch gash.

The reprieve was short lived as from the still open door came the sounds of more fighting, more death. He stepped over the still warm corpse, as Linzi sprinted through the door rushing to join the wider fight... which was of course the need to 'save' Tartuccio. He paid no mind to the bravado of the two at the end of the hall, and charged. He never really questioned the supernatural speed, or the ability to cast haste on himself as what he assumed was an SLA or whatever the equivalent was called in Pathfinder, but it might as well have been a free action to move the sixty feet and strike with the flaming long sword in his right hand. The other would be assassin crumpled forward gripping the bolt of a crossbow that had punched into his chest, and from the sound he was making must have have punctured his lung.

Tartuccio clambered hastily to his feet snatching up a wand and finishing the downed assassin with a magic missile that put the man out of his misery, "Ah well excellent timing I dread to think what might have happened if you had been any later in coming along. Ugh," Eire paid no attention to the prima donna's gnome's carrying on about how great a loss his death would have been. No doubt the second assassin had been dispatched just in case his might have talked... or maybe he was just being paranoid.

He decided not to question how Tartuccio knew that Lady Jamandi was holding the line in the banquet hall... that was oddly specific information. Even so he accepted the ring the gnome offered him, but pocketed into one of the pouches of his plate carrier once Tartuccio turned away still carrying on now loud enough that Linzi could actually hear his self centered basically a monologue.

They took a right through an open archway without bothering to try the door in front of them. Another trio of assassins were grunting from the other side apparently working to barricade the door for whatever reason and Tartuccio wasted no time firing his crossbow at the nearest one, and Linzi followed suit. The two in the far back actually produced short bows and attempted to string them with arrows... despite how fast Linzi and Tartuccio could both apparently reload their crossbows.

The third of their number despite only having a knife decided to just rush forward heedless of arrows flying and well that worked out as well s it had for his other friends with knives, Eire mused as he didn't let the man get close. Had all the success of these hired knifemen been the surprise, but Garess has said he was posting extra guards. It shouldn't have... he stopped overthinking it. Tartuccio was a Pitaxian spy... maybe he wasn't the only one, but it didn't matter. "We need to check the bodies, look for healing potions." There was no sense in taking anything else... much as they might need the gold later on, now wasn't the time, and they couldn't afford the weight of carrying off anything more than that.

Tartuccio bristled somewhat at not being the one giving the orders, but with some grumbling admitted that it was sensible. Linzi was a little more squeamish about picking over the bodies but rifled through their pockets. Tartuccio went ahead and pocketed the gold, "What they're not going to need it anymore." Linzi objected to it not being heroic...

"Tartuccio isn't wrong, but," There was a crash, a shout... and he could guess, "That must be Amiri."

"Barbarians." Tartuccio agreed as they walked past the dead adventurers and assassins in the hallway towards yet another corridor. Jamandi Aldori's estate was immense and its sprawling nature made navigating it a pain the ass, especially when trying to get anywhere quickly. Amiri had already hacked down one, was one on her second and Eire nearly considered simply letting the raging barb work her way through there was no way he could see a ranged attack making to an enemy without risking hitting Amiri, and so he charged forward again as he did against those that had been 'threatening' the gnome sorcerer earlier.

Amiri wasn't impressed, and dismissed any talk of strategy or togetherness rushing off to the next battle. Linzi approved at least at her initiative.
    --
    He glanced around at the burned forms of those caught by surprise as their armors had begun to heat up, cooking in their armor in the middle of a battle against Jamandi's guards. It had raised no questions, whether people had considered it or not he didn't know, but they had not asked. The only deity of Galorian he could think of that met the criteria was Sarenrae or however but he lacked the proficiency with the scimitar he enjoyed with the longsword. It seemed unlikely he had been granted access to both fire and sun domains from her without that proficiency.

Iomedae might have been goddess of the sun but she was not goddess of fire... at least not in doctrine, and there wasn't exactly much of an overlap between the two domains. Not as much as one might have thought. Tartuccio's antics had continued much s he had expected them, and the party had been divided... Valerie would be going with Tartuccio, and Jaethal as well. He had to admit he was a little disappointed that the Inquisitor would be going with Tartuccio, but hopefully this would be like the game... it certainly seemed like... hopefully he'd be able to convince her to come along at the Tomb.

He looked at his gathered belonging. The attack had included... annoyingly an attack on the stables, where the assassins had killed all of the horses apparently. The noise had drawn off some of the guards who had been ambushed from behind... or so they had been told. He did not fancy a long march south without draft animals. A replacement horse wouldn't have been especially expensive the problem was getting one quickly enough... they didn't have time because... well the Aldori house hold had to replace all of their own horses.

If were being honest given the incompetence and chauvinism on display from Jamandi in spite of that incompetence he wasn't surprised by the lack of support. The woman really wasn't doing much to inspire loyalty to a potential ally... ugh he wasn't sure he fully understood the geopolitics of the situation. "Well," They had no choice but to set out, and it was probably for the best that they hadn't wasted any time trying to loot any of the attackers. "As Jamandi set we will set out immediately." Much as the loss of a horse annoyed him... he grit his teeth, but the irritation departed at Linzi's exuberance as she worked her book out of the leather pouch at her hip to try and brainstorm ideas on how to describe the adventure so far.

Then it was Amiri's turn to huff and groan. Still that left her, Linzi, and Harrim the perpetually complaining dwarf to depart the somewhat worse off than when they had arrived 'mansion' of the half elf sword lord for the Stolen Lands.
    --
    Commentary: As someone pointed out to me Clerics get mending as a cantrip... orison whatever.. so thats one less logistical problem. I mean I think that exists in 3.5 but I don't believe I've used it as a cleric, which should say something. So yeah just to reiterate while I am pretty familiar with Faerun as a setting and 3.5, not all knowing, and I know very little about Galorian and Pathfinder though I am reading the books, when I can borrow them.

As it happens I have some of the Pathfinder books from a humble bundle apparently a couple years ago... but I think I only used like the maps from them. May have to read those even though I don't think they're set in Galorian.

In any event I didn't want to just rehash the Aldori Mansion, that bugs the use of mansion instead of manor especially in a medieval context, opening so I chose not to do so more than necessary. We will go to Oleg's next and through adding Jaethal through the party.

As I said the current party is Amiri,Harrim, and Linzi

We will get Jaethal, and then rescue Valerie from the goblin stockade under Scyamore as we mediate the dispute between Kobolds and the mites, and collecting the other party members along the way. The Sycamore is important not just so I can make Rimiru / that time I got reincarnated as a slime, and maybe for that matter some overlord jokes but for other reasons.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    BloodWolf752, Shvydis, Chazz and 3 others like this.
  7. Threadmarks: Road to Glory Part 1
    Imperator Pax

Road to Glory
    Part 1
    The Stolen Lands (South of Brevy)
    15th Gozran 4710

It was mid morning by the time they had finally reached Oleg's trading post... just in time for a collection of the Stag Lord's bandits to declare they were here to collect the Stag Lord's weekly taxes. Never mind that 'weekly taxes' was a frankly ludicrous notion for a frontier trade post or really probably any pre modern country store in Eire's approximation.

Oleg's trading post was ... more a motte and bailey that he didn't understand how it had been allowed to exist without someone deciding to actually use it as such. The pallisade wall might not have been the same robust defense as a high stone curtain wall, but it was the basic level of a castle defense throughout history. Oleg had a basic castle for all intents and purposes built. IT was in many aspects something Eire considered another absurdity. If he managed to make it to baron this place was going to be fortified and expanded, and have guards stationed here.

"Oi!" The bandit in the middle.

"Oh, I'm sorry are you insects still here?" He glanced for where Kressle had recalled from, "It seems your friend is the only on with any brains." Eire stretched to his full height tall enough that he could look down his nose at the half orc, the green skinned warrior puffed and then stupidly allowed himself to be grabbed flexing as if expecting some strength challenge. Fire boiled from Eire's hands as he clamped down on the warrior who started to buck and struggle. "I am an inquisitor of Iomedae," Well maybe not really, but close enough, apparently for church work... given he still had the badge of office. A glorified lapel pin of a sword that he was admittedly wearing. "and I will have no bandits in these lands." He threw the charred corpse forward into his fellows freeing his hands, "To arms!" He bellowed and drew his long sword.

Amiri didn't need telling twice lifting the monstrous sword and charged into the fray with a shout of "For GORRUM!"

"The end is nigh!" Harrim added gripping his flail and wading forward.

"Wait for me!" Linzi shouted raising her crossbow and adding a twang to the noise from her weapon. A second crossbow joined them from behind as Oleg backpedalled to shoot one of the two remaining bandits in his literal behind. IT didn't kill him but it proved a suitable distraction for a charging Amiri to finish closing. The dwarf cleric skidded to a halt half a step from the nearly bisected human, and complained about his foe already being dead.

Eire stepped forward and swung at the last bandit's unarmored head. The man was even less equipped than the Pitaxian thugs who had attacked Jamandi's 'mansion' with only little more than a leather jerkin for protection of his chest, and only a dagger for his weapon. The broad sharply tapered blade, what oakshott would have categorized as a XX, swung and cleaved opening the man's skull from the occipital bone to the bridge of his nose.

With that, just as quickly as the fighting had started it was over... the raw simple brutality of battle on the medieval field coupled with one side having magic, and one not. Kressle had been smart to flee when she had. After Oleg had introduced his wife he explained the lack of a gate on the palisade walls, which at least went some distance to explaining his situation. He had not actually constructed this it had been a border fort that had been left abandoned. "I've ah never met a cleric of Iomedae before," Oleg remarked extending his hand to shake. "Not from around here are you?"

He wasn't sure if that was a comment to his appearance, "I am not," He wasn't really sure when The Church had begun building churches, but he also knew that Iomedae was a relatively young goddess and the most common faith seemed to be that of Abadar with whom Oleg was probably more familiar with. Abadar was patron god of merchants and such.

That was not the reason he was reluctant to permit Oleg a place in the battle line, or his idea of alchemist's fire. "Thank you, no. I will look around, but the best option will be for you to remain up there in the second storey window." He had half a mind to stick Linzi up there as well... hell if he hadn't been so miserly about the prospect of ammo that might well have been the best place for him. "Allow us to unload our gear there, and we will prepare for the attack unburdened."

After he hopefully stole Jaethal back from Tartuccio they could come back here and fix the damned gate before they sortied out again. Amiri grunted looking around as he returned from the upstairs where he had basically dumped his backs. "These bandits sure are taking their sweet time, ha and they call themselves raiders, what a bunch of worthless layabouts.

"They would only be treading to their doom." Harrim opined.

"Linzi,"

"Yes?"

"There is a raised platform to the right of the gate," He gestured to his left, his back to the gate now, "I want you up there and firing down onto the bandit." Linzi likely prepared to protest this use of her crossbow, because she was a bard, and she did have magic but slowly nodded after she climbed up to see the view it afforded , or would afford her of the action.

A view that was somewhat likely diminished as the rain moved in a few hours later. He had been hoping he had actually been misremembering when they had arrived that morning about the rain, but apparently the front just hadn't moved in by the time they had arrived.
    --
    All the same though these bandits were as poorly equipped as the first lot, though they had come with more bodies. Oleg looked at the bodies, having come out to check the damage once all was clear, "Something for tomorrow now though you should go and rest." The broad shouldered man, and the wiry form of the herbalist Bokken began the labor of dragging the dead bodies to one side of the wall while Amiri and Harrim both took flagons of the local brew. Eire shook his head, and decline a flagon trudging up to the second story.

Not that he was truly tired... the truth was he didn't get post combat shakes or fatigue anymore, a perk he supposed of the new body. He didn't feel tired, but he knew he needed to sleep, there was a double edged sword to not feeling it if when he did start feeling it it would catch him by surprise. The one time fort's second level had clearly been intended as a fortified barracks with enough space for the common soldiers of the garrison. He doubted though that the four post beds had been standard Oleg had likely replaced the cots or whatever with the beds to serve as an inn for his trading post... not that Oleg was charging them for staying.

Eire moved to sit on the edge of the farthest bed where he'd deposited his belongings before preparing for the fight. He wasn't surprised that there were no 'goodies' in the chest... or was he? He wasn't sure... He was pretty sure he'd have been surprised if special edition goodies had been there... but they weren't. So that was a difference from the game at least, but one he should have expected... he just wanted to fall back into a deep dreamless sleep... but could feel the fog at the edge of his mind as he laid back on the feather bed.

A feeling unlike any he had asleep or awake in his time here in Galorian passed through him. The heavy fog outside loomed at the walls of the fort from the window... a nymph's voice called. Eire felt his limbs creak as he moved. Something was wrong... it was being in two places at once and threatening to come apart at the seams. Whatever this was it only seemed to effect him, and him alone. Amiri, Harrim, and Linzi all remained fast asleep, unheeding of the Nymph or the fog in the distance.

His mouth was dry, and he swallowed, and decided as his senses slowly sharpened that he would play along, "Who are you?" A question that bore a true statement, but not the truth, in response. The nymph dubbed herself the guardian of the bloom, and one with a common foe.

The Stag Lord.
    --
    Commentary: Officially in the Stolen Lands. November notifications. Ghost who Walks will probably be transitioning to a every other weekend update. Sunday will be a battletech update with Elidere opening on the ground. There will be other battletech stories like being posted this month probably going to try and start painting some of hte loot from wave 2 merch finally arriving. There are a couple of other things I will be posting. Emberverse and Weber's out of the dark will probably start alternating weeks they update on, again right now November's update schedule is still being finalized. The previously established pattern of updates though will continue through Sunday. This will pick up with Part 2 on Monday, with Part 3 on the following Sunday.

Apparently It goes something like this Galorian (Planet) Avistan (continent) Broken Lands, I think thats best described as the 'over' region, then River Kingdoms and Stolen Lands for where we are now. The region on the map make the River Kingdoms look pretty big. I think they're the largest area of the Broken Lands region. The Kingmaker video game doesn't really give you a good reference point for comparison compared to PnP. Anyway, I'll e attempting to keep track of the date, and location, and this will be a little more week to week day to day than BattleTech is.

Chazz and dragonborn like this.
  8. Threadmarks: The Road to Glory Part 2
    Imperator Pax

The Road to Glory
    Part 2
    The Stolen Lands, Northern River Kingdoms
    15th Gozran 4710

He had only begun to feel better and less haggard after the fog and Nyrissa had departed. He had never felt that way in the course of being here before, and he didn't like it. Nyrissa though had made no comment to his appearance. She had made all the same entreatments he had expected her to make of the PC regardless of whatever was going on.

He doubted she'd been telling the truth about the fog... he wasn't sure if the game had ever said definitively one way or another if that was true. If somehow the ritual the stag lord had carried out had that kind of power. Nyrissa was supposedly powerful enough that she was potentially able to be counted among the ranks of the Endless... the Eldest rather... the most powerful of the Fey of the First World.

"You alright?" Amiri's approach was something he had missed entirely. He shifted, and her body posture changed. "I saw some of the elders of my tribe with that look sometimes after battles. I didn't think you were that old."

"I'm old enough." He replied straightening, "I'll be fine." he almost expected her to press the issue of his age, but the barbarian grunted and dropped the matter before the others could come to investigate. "There is ancient tomb," He remarked, "We're going to go find it." He outlined to the others as he spread out a map... a probably artistic license map, or otherwise inaccurate out of date map of the stolen lands, "Tartuccio should be there." No one questioned how he knew this, and he decided not to mention the Thorn ford at all... not yet. They'd go there when they had Jaethal along... hopefully.

It was what April... or the equivalent of it now, so they had until mid July if the three months Jamandi had given them as a deadline held true. What would happen in three months? He had no idea, but given Pitaxia was already involved vis a vis Tartuccio well they needed to set out. Eire glanced at the map, and then around to his companions. Now that he thought about it there was another reason right there to go recruit Jaethal... she had some actual experience in government affairs, but that would be down the road.

He had seen Anoriel getting drunk... or at least drinking already this morning in the inn... and mercenaries weren't a bad idea. They needed some kind of protection in place for Oleg's trading post, on top of getting the gates fixed. A thought occurred to him... the absurdity of Jamandi's plan. Adventurers as barons of a new fledgling kingdom... it was a gamble given how unsuitable the party was, parties were, to administering... but he supposed they'd have to give it a shot once they got there.

They'd have to deal with the Stag Lord before all of that. Of course in order to do that they were going to have to clear away the fog. One thing at a time though. Once they found the Tomb they'd see about the bandit camp on Thorn River, and then maybe go see about the Kobolds and the other inhabitants of Old Sycamore. The game had never allowed players to create a tempest like kingdom of course, though you could have a kobold district, and presumably recruit the trolls of Trobold after that had been destroyed to add another mote of ash to the chalice... which was good enough he supposed... but again getting ahead of themselves.

Amiri's impatient declaration of getting on with it spurred him to go ahead and set out. "I didn't realize you were from Galt Linzi," Eire remarked as they made their way down the river road, which was a stupid name since they were in 'River Kingdoms, and thus all the roads not given proper local names invariably seemed to have been called river roads after the Sellen river and its tributaries. Her attendance, and subsequent dismissal, from, "Didn't you attend Pitax's," Grandiosely titled for an institution that only been in operation for a handful years, "Academy of the Grand arts?"

"I did but I was taught letters, and how to read," Amiri scoffed about needing to read, "By a priest who travelled through the village my family is from." Still that made Linzi a valuable font of knowledge about the river kingdoms in general as subject was one he found he was eager to ask about, and Amiri was listening in as well as Linzi tried her best to make her 'book learning' sound interesting.

It was interesting enough that Harrim was on the one who pointed the shift in the landscape that gave away the mound. Though it had probably been built by 'medium' creatures the tomb had been built for the ancient cyclop's empire of Koloran. More telling than the remains of ruins that predated the legendary 'Starfall' that had been the doom of many of Galorian's ancient empires were the tell tale indication of recent foot traffic in the area, and if one listened the echoing complaints of a certain obnoxious gnome sorcerer.

Tartuccio.

They descended the stair case while largely being able to make out the sorcerer's complaining even from the entrance of the mound. At the end of the hallway... or effective end as a cave in at some point in the distant past had collapsed barring any further travel in that direction. The collapse of that passage made the only option a leftwards ninety degree passage. The Gnome standing on an empty sarcophagus. It had long ago been looted, and being twenty feet long and on a pedestal gave the gnome plenty of space to pace as he complained.

Valerie objected to the lost as the work of slaves, but Tartuccio had already finished his pacing, and caught sight of them entering the aclove, "You fools." He cursed again and gesticulated aggressively for his guards to draw their weapons. "You see-"

Eire ignored whatever the gnome was going to say, "Jaethal would not it be a better use of your talents as an inquisitor, of your prowess to join my cause?" He asked, electing to ignore the tower shield fighter entirely.

"I see my magnificent rival will stop at nothing, even stealing the servants of his enemy. Let us see if your fools are even more useless than mine!" Leaving aside the promotion to magnificent rival, his following challenge of Draw your Swords! was somewhat diminished by Tartuccio ordering them, "And cover my retreat!" The gnome finished hopping off the massive sarcophagi and sprinting for the left hallway of the complex... and presumably another exit. Valerie followed suit after him leaving them to face the mercenaries... no doubt supplied with Pitax's coins, but he had to wonder really when the sorcerer had found the time ...or he had hired them before Jamandi's meeting and no one had noticed.

It didn't matter, they were dead men. He bid Amiri to the far corner to help Jaethal, not that he actually said it like that. The kellish barbarian charged forward. Harrim was directed to the right most corner to introduce that fellow to the business end of a flail... and for the mage in the corner. Eire skipped and skidded across the ancient floor longsword igniting into a haze of flame as he charged the diminutive mercenary mage before he could bring the crossbow up, and to bare.

That still left one, but Linzi hopefully could keep him suppressed long enough for the far most corner to be cleared.
    --
    Jaethal joining them really underscored the religious affiliation of most the party's backgrounds... even Linzi had been educated by a priest... probably not really all that strange. Of course the same would have been true with Valerie changing sides as she was a former paladin trainee or whatever. Admittedly on reflection Valerie would have likely been a better option to have someone garrison Oleg's trading post if the Stag Lord decided to do something about their 'treason'. He didn't have the gold for normal mercenaries never mind for paying anoriel to recruit pathfinder hires. He just didn't have that kind of gold. Unlike the goons who had attacked the Aldori Mansion though these ones, and the bandits back at Olegs were stripped of their goods and dumped into a simple mass grave outside the ancient tomb. Unlike those bandits at Oleg the mercenaries in Tartuccio's employ had actually been relatively well provisioned. Hell even the Kobolds they had found following Tartuccio's tracks had been better equipped if only just barely than the bandits who'd come to hassle Oleg.

"I'm going to go ahead and outline something of a basic matter. Tartuccio is a Pitaxian spy... well lackey is probably a better word of Irovetti who has somehow caught word of Jamandi's ambitions." The Stolen Lands was the Brevoy name of the northern east western stretch of the River Kingdoms that the descendants of ancient Rostland claiming included beyond the Narlmarches all the way to Pitax proper. That was without even touching on the on the issue of Minvon. "Obviously he has funds from pitax enough to hire mercenaries," Probably limited funds, but enough for at least a headache, "And now he's masquerading as a Kobold Shaman... that complicates the issue with the Stag Lord and his bandits." And Oleg's trading post still being a vulnerability. "Linzi you wanted a groundside view of a campaign. This is realpolitik." He wondered if that word existed in Galorian's lexicon before now, "We're going to have to secure troops and make agreements, the Stag Lords forces need to be depleted." They needed to kill or turn some of his lieutenants, "We cannot get bogged down fighting all the Kobolds or whatever else are in the Stolen Lands. This is a matter of practicality."

--
    Commentary: Amiri's canonical (?) I think build for level 7 was found here http://www.pathfindercommunity.net/...i---iconic-barbarian/amiri-iconic-barbarian-7. I've paged through the River Kingdoms codex... whatever its called, as well. As I said this is loosely based off of my Drow CYOA's 'organizational schema', I'm taking ideas and similar from that story, and the protagonist Eire here, and Arjun are both gestalt characters as I've mentioned though both have other factors as PCs that will come into play but in particular I'm not working off the party being at level one.

Tartuccio, or rather Tartuk if you recruit him after his resurection is a level twenty, which Tartuccio obviously isn't but that is worth considering... and if not for paging through the source book for the river kingdoms in General I'd have probably used Amiri's build for her Iconic Barb @ lvl 12 rather than seven as the example. We'll touch on later how much levels are an abstraction, but suffice to say Linzi is the lowest level character in the party. Favor of Shellyn aside. [For comparison Iorvetti, like most of the leaders in the Stolen Lands is only level 9., Atalia Gitaren (the Headmistress of the Academy is 4/2 bard ranger]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  9. Extras: The Drow CYOA [Partial inspiration for this fic]
    Imperator Pax

The Drow CYOA: (Original)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The current version of the CYOA is not abundantly different though it does have some revisions. The link here can be referenced for comparison's sake. Obviously as it relates to this, the pathfinder Kingmaker fic, things don't necessarily translate one to one. While Drow to exist in Golarion they are almost totally unknown outside of the elves themselves as I understand it. Obviously Eire isn't a Drow, and frankly even if this version has only limitted inspiration from the CYOA it still has some, which will become more apparent than just the gestalt class and great stats later on.

Also I think this is a good CYOA and that it should be shared.

So as I've mentioned previously this is partially inspired by Bear Ribs, and I'll expand upon that some. If you have read out of the Dark (Drow CYOA Story) you're probably already aware that Arjun is a gestalt multiclass character, paragon, undead friend among other boons. Indeed Eire in the original version in many respects had most of Arjun's advantages, swapping color vision for Draconic Ally, and excellent kit for having gear brought from earth.

Obviously in this version he doesn't yet have a dragon egg hence why this is spoilered.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Chazz likes this.
  10. Threadmarks: The Road to Glory Part 3
    Imperator Pax

The Road to Glory
    Part 3
    For the time being their area was going to confine itself for the most part to an area that would have the Thorn River as its western boundary. At least for the most part, the river would serve as a rough guide as to how far west they were going to... at least for now.

The problem was that while it was easy enough to remember the basics of the early campaign in terms of what to do... and it shouldn't have been an issue to kill the Stag Lord in even just a month if talking about just killing him... but how much trouble would that leave unaddressed, Eire had to wonder as they wandered down the river banks. They would eventually have to cross the River to reach the Temple of the Elk, as well as for that matter dealing with the Technic League.... liberating the slaves would probably be a good thing to do sooner though.. but before or after they made contact with the feuding kingdoms beneath Old Scyamore was the question.

The party slowed to a halt. The bandit camp wasn't nearly as expansive as the Stag Lord's fort, but was still something that would be worth repurposing given where it sat near an easy crossing of the river. First thing though was to take it from the bandits though. That meant Svetlana's sister, Akiros was no where to be seen but that tracked with the game play version of his usual... they had followed after Tartuccio after all.

The party slowly spread out, but then the fog returned roiling in on the edges. It was entirely the wrong time... well it was very late in the morning for fog but it was the fog itself that uncentered him... or whatever magic animated it. It would be later that he'd even consider if the Stag Lord even understood the Fog, because it was self evident that his lackeys didn't.

Was the fog getting worse then? He had to wonder, the Stag Lord had been using it to shield his fortress... but Nyrissa... 'the guardian of the bloom' .... serious about it effecting her powers or her well being or was that just her playing the damsel in distress card. On the other hand she could have been telling the truth wasn't the Stolen Lands... maybe the whole River Kingdoms prone to interacting with the first world... the Fey Realms or whatever... was the fog making that worse somehow?

... something they could try and research after they had a barony or a kingdom. He heard one of Kressle's goons start demanding answers from someone... the wizened voice of a tired old priest answered. Something something powers you couldn't understand, something something Erastil. By that point though heedless of the fog Jaethal and Amiri had both slipped up the simple set of stands built up along the trees and dealt with the bandit sentry who had turned inward to the argument in camp.

A cold wind blew through the camp and rustled the leaves in an eerie twist more like fall than spring as one of the bandits cuffed Jhod Kavken for his moralizing. By by that point though had slipped from the shadow of tree, and into the glade... and to be frank in another world this would have been where the rifles would have scythed down the bandits from the tree shadows... but he wasn't here to kill all of them if he could avoid it. Svetlana's sister Kressel... or whatever her real name was... didn't seem comfortable with the fog, was distracted by her men's squabbling.

Someone squawked about the Erlking but Kressel herself never saw the attack coming, and was at heap at his feet unconscious before she could resist the choke from behind. Men scrambled to their feet and to place hands and weapons even as Linzi began to pick at an eerie tunw from the platform above. "Hold," If needed he was fully prepared to catch everyone in front of him with metal armor under the heat metal spell but that wouldn't deal with all of them. When the bandits paused he decided to hold off drawing his sword. "I give to you three options. Your leader's sister, Kressel's sister has begged for her sister's life." There were some nods at this, a few looked unsteady at the pronouncement and one even chewed his lip. The cleric remained silent. "I will in the coming days take the one who has declared himself Stag Lord, Nugragh's son spends much of his time in his cups these days does he not? Is that wine there not meant to sate his thirst?" He asked. More nods, more uneasy looks between the men waiting for the other shoe to drop. "His death need not be tied to your own. So offers three, I make before I return Kressel to her sister." Keep playing the Fey monster that just came out of the glen, now. He extended his thumb, "You may choose to die in the stag lord's service." He raised a long finger, "You may quit you banditry and accept a pardon to serve a role in the barony that will be." A second finger, "Or you may take the river road and depart the narlmarches and seek your fortunes beyond my realm."

"We can... we can just go?"

"You'll let us leave?"

Different voices spoke up at the same time, but he nodded as if it didn't matter.

A third man shifted, "What about Kressel?"

"What about her?" One bandit responded. They looked prepared to argue about that now that they were convinced he wasn't about to sprout wings and hew them all down. Of course if they turned to attack they would be focused on him, and presumably unknowing of Jaethal and Amiri... Linzi's bardic magic probably hadn't even really registered as someone's doing.

Half the bandits decided departing for parts unknown was the best option. The one who had first asked about Kressel wavered, with another archer after the others had fled for the road to Brevoy... or at least in the direction there of.

--
    "Irenna," Svetlana's half sister looked less comfortable at dealing with the fussing. The trio of bandits were more uncomfortable with the prospect of Oleg, or perhaps Jaethal and Amiri. Linzi had somewhat spoiled any chance of being taken seriously by working hard at being a chronicler by brain storming out loud all the ways to record things as they had happened at thorn ford. The cleric of Erastil wasn't exactly imposing, and he and Harrim were both standing between Oleg and Bokken within the trading force.

Kressel returned Svetlanna's wedding ring, and turned to them. "What now?"

Eire raised an eyebrow, and Jaethal looked down imperiously at the dual axe wielding bandit. The inquisitor's hand resting comfortably on the haft of her scythe. "Now?" He exhaled in 'ah', gestured sweeping a hand at the bandits. "You may take responsibility for these ones." Eire replied. "You may together stay as apart of my domain, or you may depart the land."

"What about fighting the Stag Lord?"

Svetlanna began to protest her sister's question. Kressel, that was to say Irenna, and her would be commitatus, had talked on the road about the Stag Lord' alcoholism, and his general ... let down in terms of leadership. "If you remain here, you will obey my commands. And you will remain protecting the trading post until the stag lord is dead." He doubted the hellebore he had dosed the wine with while the others weren't looking would be enough to induce cardiac arrest it would likely sicken the stag lord. If not, well, they weren't going to go head on, "There is work around this old fort that needs doing, and I think it best you repair that gate."

He wasn't actually sure that Kressel was actually directly responsible for the broken gate, but it was something for her to do. It was something of a gamble. He knew that letting her stay here... if she did choose to stay here might attract more unwanted attention, but they needed the manpower... even if most likely their next venture was to be going to the temple of the Elk to get Tristan who be parking his butt her at Oleg's to garrison it as well. There were technic league duo as well, they needed to be liberated from slavery and that would greatly expand how safe he felt Oleg's would be... and that would let him delve into Old Sycamore in peace... and hopefully make peace between Mites and Kobolds.

He almost expected Kressel to argue the point... or for Jhod to speak up and want to talk about the Temple of the Elk that he had been sent on a mission to find. Kressel instead of arguing the point glanced at her men, "What happens after you're baron then?"

"Then we begin the process of rebuilding." He doubted Kressel was really interested in his proposed reforms and what not... though calling them reforms might be a stretch given the general lawlessness of the area. "Realistically the barony will need taxes. Land will need to be cleared, animals purchased, farms made secure, that means bringing an end to banditry. Those who wish to make amends and accept the new order will be permitted and encouraged to do so, those who do not will be granted the opportunity to depart. Those who do not depart, may in some cases be granted exile as a penalty, but barring that."

Jaethal touched her scythe for emphasis, and talked about her time in Kyonin without any prompting at all.
    --
    Commentary: Vis a Vis Spacebattles discussion on Kingmaker more generally supposedly the Stolen Lands (and I keep wanting to put Storm lands here) is the size of roughly speaking Portugal this is something of news to me as thats a larger than I was expecting, I'm not sure how large that would make Pitax and Mivon given that they should be together roughly the same geographical size as the Stolen Lands if not actually larger. As I said this is larger than I was expecting and actually makes my existing issue with overland travel worse, even really right now we're talking just the narlmarches, and specifically the northern narlmarches.

Hence draft animals are absolutely going to be required, and why I've said this in story, and frankly IRL this is generally what happens with my usual play group where animals are a big part of getting from place to place (or vehicles in more modern settings). There is also for that matter not just the river freedoms as well, but also the fact that the whole River Kingdoms not just the Stolen Lands are apparently closer to the first world due to maybe elf shenanigans? We might get to that eventually, we might similarly get to the point of addressing the fact that the present time on Golarion corresponds with Earth going through the first world war. [Though I would have to actually double check the official pathfinder timeline to see if ww1 has actually started on Earth yet.]

11. ProfessorP.Hardraad

ProfessorP.Hardraad Thread Necromancer

" 'Say what you will, I live free', doesn't mean you won't get your teeth knocked in for saying it."
    I just started up a new play through. I'm going as a Muse-touched Aasimar Celestial blood Sorcerer. It's an interesting experience thus far.

Imperator Pax likes this.
  12. Threadmarks: Expedition over the Thorn River Part 1
    Imperator Pax

Expedition over the Thorn River
    Part 1

The first night with Kressel and her commitatus went peacefully, and without incident. They were given a ration of beer and bread... that admittedly Eire paid for and some further ground rules were laid down. By the time morning game around Oleg had other things on his mind since by about ten... and half way through nailing the planks of oak for one side of the new gate the news of Tuskgutter came around. He had totally forgotten about the dire boar... but it wasn't precisely a priority at the moment.

They would need to kill the pig of course... but its lair was on the other side of the Thorn river, which was only part of the issue. No they'd need to deal with the technic league first, and for that matter the Temple of the Elk before that... but maybe before they delved into the depths of Old Scyamore.

Eire glanced at his camping goods. He had humped in everything his departed horse had carried and then stored most of the goods at Oleg's since they had arrived in the stolen lands. Soon though they were going to have to move further and further away from Oleg's repurposed border fort... and that meant some of this was going to need to come along.

The tent would have to stay here though. It was something of a luxury even though it could have been brought overland. They would have to make do with tarps, and parachord. They wouldn't be encamping long enough to warrant anything that couldn't be broken down the following morning certainly not this trip.

Oleg looked at the list. "I can try at least."

"I need draft animals oleg. If not horses then donkeys." At this point he would have been willing to take oxen, or try camels... and this really was about draft animals. He dreaded the idea of trying to put Linzi or Harrim up on a horse, and that was just riding forget taking them into battle mounted. "We're going to have to cross the ford sooner rather than later." Thus the sooner Oleg could get them a donkey or a pack horse the less they would be dependent on personal carry.

"I'll see what I can do."

Svetlanna at least was happy. Eire was relatively confident that Kressel ... or Elena or whatever would be able to keep her now hopefully on the road to reform bandits in line. Once the Stag Lord was dead he was already considering settling her to rebuild Nettle's crossing... but they needed to kill the Stag Lord first anything beyond that was getting ahead of themselves. They'd probably run into the slavers when they crossed the river and almost certainly before they reached the Temple of the Elk.

He glanced at the work still being done on the gate, and looked at the other members of the party... prices for Bokken's goods were steep but Jhod's services were patently ridiculous. "Well, this shores up Oleg's, its a start in any event. We'll be crossing the river." Kressel had mentioned the hut the stag lord wanted torched... which was something they probably should take the time to investigate. "Truthfully while we need to whittle away the Stag Lords forces I'd prefer to banish most of the bandits that aren't killed out of hand."

Jaethal nodded. "If not at our hand they'll reoffend and meet their end at those of another," Harrim agreed in his usual morose tone.

He gestured to the map, "We're going to cross via the Ford, we're not going to north of the Thorn River, and we're going to hold off visiting Tuskgutter's lair just yet." He assured Amiri that yes that they would get to it soon. "But its still something of a journey from here to the ford, and this our first outing over the river." And among many many other things he was going to have to have done as baron was going to be new maps, and surveying of the domain, didn't that sound fun. Oleg had indicated on the map where the monstrous pig had made its lair... den? Whatever wild pigs had. "So we'll avoid moving south of there unless something presents itself." He doubted it, but maybe.
    --
    Linzi was working on yet another page of notes. She had known that most heroic epics had to have left things out, and were outright fabrications at worst, but she hadn't considered the extent of what went on during an adventurer. She couldn't wait until the barony had been established though.. or they confront that villainous Stag Lord and put an end to his reign of terror.

She wanted to objective and report the facts, but... how to include Kressel in her book was ... aggravating her. At least Jaethal wasn't a bandit... even if the undead elven lady was scary, and uncaring. Jaethal said she was just being logical about things, of course. Harrim just kept being so mopey constantly. Doom and Gloom all the time.

"... the second chance? No, that's not grand enough for our heroic lead," She muttered, "How about the path of redemption."

Breaking from his monotonous droning on about the end, and how they were going to die, Harrim shook his head, "I believe our leader is a member of the Church of Iomedae not Saeranae." He stated matter of factly... then stroked his bearded chin, "Admittedly given his powers one might make that mistake how he wields both fire and sun domain."

"Who?" Amiri grunted

"Not surprised you haven't heard of her," Jaethal responded to the barbarian with a snort, "Iomedae has only been a major goddess for the last century. "

Linzi scribbled hastily away, then stopped, "But Jaethal if Iomedae became a goddess by taking the star stone test a thousand years ago, why didn't you try? You said you were always looking for new experiences?" That and Jaethal was stupidly strong.

"Besides the fact its certain death?" Harrim interrupted for the elf. "Only three people have ever taken it and passed. You might of heard the other two names though, Norgorber, Cayden Cailen?"

She had heard of the last one, Norgorber was a god of assassins who wore a mask, Jaethal had apparently tried some of his followers when she had still been a living judge. Now that she was an inquisitor of the pallid princess though Jaethal claimed to have little idea what her goddess actually wanted her to do.

Linzi idly chewed on the end of her quill in thought. What to write? She had to stop as their leader returned, "Svetlanna has vouched," Again went unsaid, but he had that look, "For her sister's good conduct, and she in turn has vouched for those of her men. I expect we will be gone a day or two at most three." Bread and cheese for the road were distributed by the grateful Svetlanna along with cured meats and they prepared to set out for the road heading west.
    --
    Commentary: Yes according to the AP 1 the Stolen Lands are approximately 35000 square miles of area. Of course there are apparently inconsistencies with the AP books and the general canon timeline, Irovetti comes to power in 4702, but doesn't hold the first Rushlight tournament until 4705 and its supposed to be annual which would make the fifth one 4710 which is when kingmaker opens... again not very familiar with Pathfinder so I will be winging some of the details.

Also apparently 4710 corresponds to 1915 on Earth. Also, apparently, there is in Ultimate Magic there is a 'separatist' archetype for clerics, which lets be a little schismatic shit kidding, it allows you to take your second domain even if your deity of choice doesn't have that domain, because you are a heretic. I think there is actually a heretic priest ... I wouldn't be surprised anyway... but yeah it has penalties that I don't necessarily think should be there but its cool Pathfinder thought of that.

ANyway this would have been sunday's update, but surprise travelling for me. Safe travels everyone.

Chazz and ProfessorP.Hardraad like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Expedition over the Thorn River Part 2
    Imperator Pax

Expedition over the Thorn River
    Part 2
    Northern Narlmarches
    21st Gozran 4710 AR

They had crossed the Thorn ford without incident only to hay off into another spat of thick fog that gave him a near murderous headache. Not murderous enough to threaten to feed them their own entrails, but hardly enough to tolerate their posturing either, Kalannah their leader though was unfortunately too far in the back for his usual charge forward and introduce to fire magic point blank.

Jaethal glanced at him only a moment before he began to twist his fingers in invoking gesture and white embers snapped and hissed from his finger tips. Rain began to boil into steam at the sudden expansion of heat and mass of snarling flame exploded through the rain soaked marsh. He didn't wait for Kalanah's bluster to finish, for the explosion cut that short.

"That was incendiary cloud." Jaethal wasn't asking a question, and he merely nodded, and turned back to where Kalannah's recall spell had pulled her from the battlefield. Jaethal hefted her scythe and advanced on the half charred form of a mage and snuffed his life. "What of these slaver vermin though, they must have a nest near by? That one couldn't have gone far." The undead inquisitor remarked.

No more than six hundred feet a part of his mind informed him, a part of him he had grown used to. He wasn't sure how much of 3.5's esque magic truly translated to Pathfinder in terms of pen and paper... certainly some degree of abstraction seemed to occurring. Eire knew he had arrived on Golarion, awoken here with an array of powers that he was passingly familiar with their 3.5 equivalents. Indeed he was relatively certain the combination of arcane and divine casting would have been the equivalent of a high level gestalt character. Jaethal as he had come to recognize the centuries old undead inquisitor was probably the closest of his companions in level... assuming that levels were actually real rather than just an abstraction of some kind.

If he, and her, were probably in the upper teens of levels Amiri was probably half that. Harrim was probably a couple levels behind Amiri and ... Linzi probably should have been level three four maybe. Tartuccio was probably at Amiri's level, he knew the gnome had bragged about being able to cast fifth level magic and talking about the might of his fireball. Which was third level magic? It was always possible that the gnome was lying about his ability to cast Fifth level, but he was probably at least equivalent to level six.

The technic league goons had gone down easily. Maybe they had been close to Linzi's level? Eire shook his head, and looked around. "This rain doesn't look like its going to let up anytime soon," He remarked, "we should find somewhere to set up camp, and wait it out, we will follow after them once it clears."

"And what then?" Jaethal asked as they started look for somewhere to pitch camp, preferably not in swamp mud. That meant moving to higher ground and further into the forest away from the probably subterranean flow of the Thorn river... or whatever...

"How do you feel about flanking the camp and converging on them from two sides?" He asked as they marched through the rain.
    --
    There was another crack of lightning as he finished tying down the tarp. Amiri had already started, and was carefully tending a fire, and Linzi was currently drying her face with the towel he had produced from the top pouch of his erbelstock ruck.

They were out of the rain at least. That was an immense improvement as far as he was concerned. They were in the north narlmarches to nominally look for the Temple of the Elk, but they were going to take a brief detour to kill some slavers.

"Fire's done." Amiri grunted leaning back again the fallen tree that served basically as the back wall of the lean to shelter. The biggest hurdle had been finding a downed tree in the forest in the rain that had neighbors that he could tie off on. Now that she was done, Amiri reached over the grab for the towel. "Huh never seen a cloth like this."

It was just cotton. It wasn't even microfiber, and he had to ask, "What do you mean? Its just cotton."

"What's cotton?"

"A white staple fiber that grows in Osirion, you provincial blockhead." Jaethal grumbled, which thankfully resolved his sudden concern that Golarion might not have actually had cotton. The barbarian bristled at the rejoinder. The bantering adopted a more good natured tone as the cookware was dug out.

Harrim actually complained that it wasn't actually a flood. Eire watched a fox scurry from somewhere into the under brush, "I almost think this planar," He muttered. There was too much lighting and not enough rain, and sense magic was going haywire every time he looked at the piano black sky.

"The plane of air?" Jaethal glanced around, "Perhaps, clearly magical, and the whole of the River Kingdoms are filled with faerie rings leading to who knows where."

But the rain was finally breaking, and they broke camp once the storm was definitely spent heading due north of the swamp road and into a holler, leading back up into a set of hills with only partial tree cover, and exposed stone. A set of tents sat on one exposed stretech completely contemptuous of any observers. There were no obvious posted sentries, or indication that the Technic League even felt the need to do so, which made sense given how haughty Kalannah had acted with them. "Fancy looking tents." Amiri remarked even as they prepared to divide into a flanking and frontal assault group. The latter obviously the Kellid barbarian would be a part of with Jaethal, while he took Linzi, and Harrim up the embankment and around.

Amiri's observation about the tents being fancy while succinct had been on point, and while Eire had found himself generally less inclined to loot this was going to certainly be one of those exceptions. The Kellid warrior woman bellowed her usual warcry and charged at the bald wizard before she could stand up from where she had been sitting at the mouth of her fancy tent. Eire frowned, and he was sure Jaethal was cursing the barbarian's impetuousness, "Harrim, Linzi that archer there." Then he paused, "Once Harrim has him in melee Linzi move up and see if you can free those other slaves."

"Right." The halfling agreed, not questioning his observation as she hefted her crossbow and took aim.

The other worlder regarded his own chosen prey's exposed back as he drew his long sword. The man was well equipped, wearing brigandine, but his attention had been pulled away from them, to the commotion, and the spell was merely icing as he caught him from behind shoring his head from his shoulders. The body dropped its severed parts, eyes and mouth glowing with an intense flare of sunlight.

Jaethal hissed in irritation at the Gorrumite battle cry, but none the less followed the younger woman into battle dogging the human's heels as best as she was able while not exposing herself to the enemy unduly. It was clear that arrogant whelp of a wizard hadn't expected to see them, no doubt the technic league had retired to the dryness of her opulently furnished pavilion and its desk and chairs and feather bed to wait out the storm that had delayed them.

Her scythe hungered for the criminal's blood. There was the mechanical release of a bowstring as the little chronicler fired, and Jaethal's black eyes shifted across the battlefield just in time to watch the head slip from the shoulders as sunlight wracked the dead human's body. The inquisitor of Urgoatha frowned and crossed to Amiri's other side, the barbarian had left the mages uncontested in her furious advance, and that just wouldn't do. Profane power rolled visibly from her pallid limbs as she gripped her scythe. These humans were not worth respect, but it would have been stupid to ignore them magic users left alone had a tendency to make nuisances of themselves. She felt no need to threaten them, or profess the simple inevitability of their demise as Amiri or Harrim did... nor for that matter given the halfling's sudden declaration as she sprinted forward as fast as she could to exclaim,

"We're here to help!" To the bound prisoners or at least the half breeds by the fire.
    --
    Commentary: Started paging through the Iron Gods Adventure Path, which as a prompt idea is interesting, I've been playing Colony Ship through Steam Early Access, and I enjoyed the movie Pandorum. Whether or not that is relevant at all to this story in the long run? We will see, but at the moment I have a nagging plot bunny of wanting to go underground into a buried colony ship where the inhabitants still think they're on their way to the 'new world' when they've been there for a while type thing.

It'll probably end up in the scrap thread if nothing else.