1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Charm Learning Shard (Worm/Exalted) (COMPLETED)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Daniel Snuts, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Zxzx24

Zxzx24 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thats an Idea. I imagine the neverborn would lose their goddamn minds if she was.

And give up a new torture doll? Why?

"Keep digging. Eventually we will start going up."

Very exalted attitude.

Or in the words of 4chan.

"It's not about not falling as a Paladin. It's about falling so fucking hard you crash through the planet and stand up on the other side.'"

2. Whitesnake Pelinal

Whitesnake Pelinal Like a dream without a dreamer

Torture Doll? Really? Taylor already has one, with intimacies and everything!

I say the significance of mirror!Taylor is that she will try to be anti-racist and be proven wrong over and over and over. In typical Exalted style, Taylor will succeed in red-pilling her bloopie clone and they will join hands against the real enemy.

determind, Eyemore, Zxzx24 and 6 others like this.
  3. Rask

Rask Getting out there.

Bold of Taylor to assume that Noelle's clones value their own survival higher than bringing ruin upon their original. That pact is unlikely to provide any protection at all.

4. ses

ses Experienced.

Pattern Spider Touch doesn't create any mind control effects or break any. Since the Nemesis motivation was power-enforced than there's no getting rid of it by giving them a new identity. PST in general isn't quite as usable on the minion making front as is usually assumed. Noelle being a slave puppet as teased in the mechanics corner explicitly doesn't work with PST's mechanics, but that wouldn't even be the third most egregious rule bending this chapter

Oh yeah this is well into Bad Decisions territory but this is at least an in-character Bad Decision that makes sense. Looking forward to this exploding.

I wonder if Evil Taylor will be put in charge of acting the Poltergeist identity after being taught Mind-Hands and StIF? She can become an icon for Black pride.

Alathon the mental image of Evil Taylor getting redpilled by being repeatedly proven wrong slayed me. I fucking love it. Genuinely sounds like something Snuts might do when the pendulum swings back into comedic racism and cape interactions rather than racking up character deaths.

5. queermunist

queermunist Cummunism Will Win!

Fuck fuck fuck why did you put this idea into the aether?!

That's exactly what will happen and I fucking hate it!

6. zapking5

zapking5 But I don't want to have a title!

I guess the charm that she will get from Cuff's power will save her life.

The wiki describes her power this way.
    No clue what would be so impactful about a charm coming from this. Maybe Theo will somehow successfully betray her and a metal manipulation charm would block his attack?

I never really interpreted Echidna clones as having their motivations directly power enforced, but rather the twisted memories/perspective that they are given naturally leading to them hating their original. So I would assume that a new identity and a loss of the memories given by Echidna would remove their hatred. That is a subjective interpretation of how Echidna works though I'll admit.

7. ses

ses Experienced.

Oh god. Evil Taylor gets a dog and names him Fenrir and just... rubs in their bond at every opportunity. Conspicuous displays of affection and cuddling and Evil Taylor loudly talking about how great it is to have someone who loves her and is alive. Taylor being arranged into walking in on bestiality may be involved.

Evil Taylor goes and re-acquires Bitch's charm and then signs up to defect for the Wards under the condition she not be made to betray E88 secrets. She's not betraying Taylor since she can truthfully argue that she now has a minion that has infiltrated the heroes, meanwhile she gets to use Low Key's identity to help the heroes to the detriment of Taylor's intimacies while never actually betraying Taylor. Taylor then can't use the Low Key identity without having to answer some awkward questions.

I've played a lot of Vampire the Masquerade. I know all about loyal ghouls/childer causing you new and exciting problems every time you take your eyes off of them for 5 seconds without ever actually betraying their loyalty to you.

We know from Lung's pact not triggering until he got birdcaged rather than immediately upon him getting cuffed at the scene that there's a surprising amount of wiggle room in those pacts.

8. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

I actually burst out laughing at how you took out the Travellers, lel. Just immediately jumping to worst possible end there.

So, an Echidna Clone of Taylor huh. Don't those clones explicitly value ruining the original more than life? I'm pretty sure she's just playing the long game on screwing her, lmao.

9. Whitesnake Pelinal

It could be the Echidna Arc Uncut: Weld Was Really That Stupid. But, no Weld as far as I know.
    Lore may be on your side. If I understand the Abyssal/ghost stuff correctly, dead things cling relentlessly to the motivations they had in life.

I want to believe, but it seems too good to be true. The whole Abyssal thing is simultaneous melodramatic and deathly serious.

space turtle and ses like this.
  10. PlasticSoldier

PlasticSoldier Experienced.

So, Slaughterhouse time now?

11. zapking5

It's not impossible that Broadcast would subtly warn Jack away from going to Brockton. The Nine don't tend to deliberately pick fights with top tier capes like Eidolon or Legend after all.

If Pattern Spider Touch trumps Siberian, then things could go very bad for the Nine. Though the projection might not count as a valid target.

12. Vealie

Vealie Versed in the lewd.

Turning the Siberian into an AU of Manton's actual daughter probably wins his crazed loyalty forever when the Siberian gets resummoned a second later

13. Rask

Rask Getting out there.

Another fun idea: Clone Taylor is an Abyssal and starts doing Abyssal things, such as summoning ghosts for fun and profit. We had a lot character deaths recently...

14. Whitesnake Pelinal

How about a spirit-tied morality pet?

15. ses

ses Experienced.

The projection is not a living creature.

Have her study Crusader for a second shot at Elegy for the Fallen rather than a random hit things charm. Then lick some Newter spit and get started on learning Necromancy. Get Fetter the Deathless Beast instead of Spirit-Tied Pet from Bitch so that she can rub in that her perfect best friend is already a ghost and therefore can't die and leave her alone forever.

Maybe she'll manage to get tutored in Heart-Rending Cruelty Technique from Tattletale's ghost. If I were an evil Moonshadow clone I'd be starting to get pretty tempted to take those 5 botches on the chin if it means killing Danny in front of her with Heart-Rending Cruelty Technique.

Okay this is clearly just becoming a wishlist of all the Abyssal charms I want to see show up :'^)

Also I just reread the old Rats! story now that we're on the subject of Echidna clone shenanigans.

I'm going to guess Scorpion Crossing the River Lethe for Evil Taylor's Abyssal name by the by.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  16. Edifier

Edifier Trusted within thoughts.

Wow. Magnificent!

space turtle and zapking5 like this.
  17. GiantAnteater

GiantAnteater Know what you're doing yet?

Evil Taylor would rat her out, pack be damned?

space turtle likes this.
  18. Daniel Snuts

Daniel Snuts Know what you're doing yet?

True. If only she had acted decisively instead of hesitating on seeing her friend hurt and threatened, things would have worked out in the end.

Let's hope she takes that lesson to heart going forward, eh? More recklessness + less regard for human life = better outcomes.

You say random, I say that Depthless Ocean Style Endbringer Martial Arts has a charm that triggers some sort of Wits roll-off to turn a water shadow attack unexpected.

Taylor does not agree that Fenrir counters Coil very well:

Both Taylors are parahumans with the power of 'I can't believe it's not exalt', running off the same shard. At some point in the past Scion clearly came across an exaltation, and like all other nifty magic/technology entities find, copied/assimilated it into a shard.

Yes, the exalted are specifically designed to kill giant god-things, and they succeeded at it. But the way they succeeded was by all 700 celestial exalts ganging up on the 20-odd primordials, dying horribly, reincarnating into new hosts, having a quick training montage, dying again, rinse and repeat. All the while supported by as many armies of terrestrial exalts as the breeding camps could churn out. And it took them centuries to zerg rush the primordials down this way. Probably. It's a bit unclear because people kept punching Time in the nuts whenever the other side weaponized it.

What I'm saying is that one poor solar who somehow blundered his way into the Wormverse versus two primordial-equivalents wasn't even a contest.

I mean, the rules discussion example linked earlier specifically talks about using PST to acquire flunkies - some sort of of servitude is clearly possible to arrange.
    But no, Taylor didn't do that.

It's true, I'm houseruling BRR to let Taylor take any subset of the mutations, including the empty set. Similarly the anima, at least in 2e it doesn't specify whether pact-sealing just causes a momentary flare or whether it takes time to go down afterwards like expenditure-based effects, so I'm allowing the exalt to choose. It won't actually matter, it just looks cooler and saves me from having to write 'and then you sat around twiddling you thumbs for a bit before doing the next thing'.

19. Threadmarks: B.10
    Daniel Snuts

Daniel Snuts Know what you're doing yet?

"Why do this?" Evil Taylor asks as you walk along. "I could just betray our pact and accept the consequences, you know. Even if I can't kill you, I can reveal all your secrets."

"Mm-hm," you agree. "And what would happen if you did? After I killed you, I mean."

"You'd... leave town, and start over with a bunch of new identities elsewhere." She sighs. "It wouldn't be satisfying at all."

She sulks for a while before speaking up again.

"But what possible use could you have for me as a minion?"

It's sobering to see a powerless you from the outside, and realize just how suicidal you were. She's practically begging you to kill her.

"What would you do with yourself, if you were me? Which you are."

She shuts her mouth firmly, clearly not wanting to give you any good ideas if you haven't already thought of them yourself. Which you have, of course, because you're the same person.

"You're already helping," you say cheerfully. "Just us walking along like this proves that Low Key and Quicksilver couldn't possibly be the same person. But just to make sure we're seen together, you'll make a big show of hiring me to see if there's any way to get your power back."

Evil Taylor nods glumly. That was what she had been thinking too.

"We need to get you some spray tan, though. Unless you think Low Key should have a goth phase?"

"You could always let me learn shapeshifting from you."

"Hah. You're not nearly Mastered enough for that. Yet."

---

You're back in your true form, except five shades paler - which means you're basically impossible to tell apart from your clone.

Aisha looks from one of you to the other. "Not gonna give you the satisfaction," she says, crossing her arms.

"Aren't going to greet your junior minion-sister?" Evil Taylor asks, gesturing towards you. "This is my clone. She has her own hopes and dreams independent of mine, but I've enslaved her on pain of death because I'm a terrible person."

"No, she's the clone," you say. "And what she's failing to mention is that she's an evil clone, and her hopes and dreams mostly consist of torturing me to death."

"Mostly?" Aisha asks.

"She'd quite like to torture you to death first, while I'm forced to watch," Evil Taylor says. "Because we're friends." Then she frowns. "Didn't you say we were meeting someone here?" she asks.

You answer her frown with one of your own. "I did? Can't think of why."

"There's a note in your hand," she points out. "Where are those even coming from?"

You shrug. "Maybe they're from the Simurgh?"

"You think so?"

"Not really, no. Which is exactly what I would think if the Simurgh did it."

"Huh. Well, what's it say?"

"'Reveal who is clone,'" you recite. "I'm the real one. The evil clone can't shapeshift." You turn your hair blonde in demonstration.

"Yet," Evil Taylor says, but she doesn't otherwise try to confuse the issue. She must have inherited your inexplicable trust in the notes along with the rest of your thoughts and memories.

"Valid use of a note!" Aisha says emphatically. "When people start talking about torturing me to death, I bow out!"

"That's fair," Evil Taylor says.

Aisha shoots her a glare before turning to you. "Have you ever had a really great idea for a prank and then thought that no, I shouldn't, it's too much? Because you really should have."

"Says the mastermind behind Double D?"

"Fine, I'm a big fat hypocritamous! What do you even want with a crazy murderous clone-slave?"

You explain the benefits of being able to deploy two identities at the same time. Aisha seems unconvinced that it's worth the risk.

"We'll keep her chained up at night," you say placatingly. "And feel free to kill her if you suspect anything amiss. It's not as if evil clones are people."

"Fucking Duplicette," Evil Taylor mutters. Yeah, a younger, less cynical you had been pretty shocked at the Human Rights Tribunal's decision in the Duplicette case, but it's been codified into international law now: Evil clones aren't people. Geneva conventions need not apply.

---

Emptiness endowment lets you Master people in exchange for making them better. But it only works on things they've expressed discontent about.

"I wish I was better at navigating by the stars," Evil Taylor says, and you grant her wish.

"Don't learn any new powers without explicit permission," you order her in return.

The thing is, if you have someone at your mercy you can just order them to express useless discontent.

"I wish I was better at filling out tax forms," Evil Taylor says.

---

"Am I Mastered enough to learn shapeshifting now, boss?"

"Maybe once I've gotten Regent's power and used it on you."

---

You suppose it's your job to inform Lisa's next of kin, such as they are. Well, Warlord Circus can figure out what happened on her own, as her support dries up. No really, she can. You have faith in her deductive abilities. It's not like you hold a grudge against her or anything. She tried to spy on you, you secretly copied her power. As far as you're concerned, you're even. But that doesn't mean you like her either, not enough to go out of your way to help.

Warlord Rachel, on the other hand... From what you've heard she's latched on to the venerable Brockton Bay tradition of ethnic gangs, and created an ethnostate for dogs. Thing is, dogs don't pay much in the way of taxes. You should inform her that the food shipments are going to stop now that Coil is dead, so that she may adjust her foreign policy appropriately.

Which only leaves the question of how to get to her. People have been giving her territory a wide berth, because the supremacist nation of Doggonia does not tolerate unterhunden on their turf. And while your shapeshifting sufficed for infiltrating the ABB, it's limited to human forms.

She must have had some arrangement for getting supplies in, you suppose, but anyone who would know what it was is dead now. Nor can you fight your way in - you're confident that you could win against an arbitrary number of monster dogs, but you want to have a conversation with Rachel, not a fight to the death. Which is what you'd get if you hurt her dogs.

Hell, you don't even know exactly where her lair is, beyond 'roughly in the center of her territory'. You had expected Alec to be able to help you out there, but he just shrugs when you ask.

"The boss had a map. Saw it once, but why would I memorize her address? It's not like I was going to visit."

"So everyone who knew where she is is probably dead."

"Why'd you have to go and ruin a good thing anyway?" he complains. "I liked sitting around and being paid for doing nothing."

"How'd you feel about having your identity revealed to the world?" you counter.

"That would be bad," he concedes. "Yeah, that'd probably be murder-bad."

The smart thing to do would be to fly in and search from the air, because dogs can't fly (you can probably fly high enough that not even a fully-grown monster dog could reach you with a leap). But neither can Taylor Hebert, which is the only one of your identities Rachel knows. More sandbagging? More sandbagging. You'd call it the third inevitability of cape life, except as a villain you don't pay taxes.

---

You'd say you're about about halfway to your destination when you see the first dog. It's smaller than you expected, only about lion-sized. It's nearing the end of its patrol shift, you suppose, almost shrunk down to non-fearsome proportions. Or, well, you actually have no idea how organized Rachel is in here. Has she trained the dogs to guard specific areas, or does she just empower them as they show up and let nature take its course?

Of course as you're having these idle thoughts you are also scrambling up the the side of a building, because there's a lion-sized monster bearing down on you.

Well, this is why you packed a grappling hook. After a couple of practice tries you manage to get it to attach to the next roof over. After securing it on your side, all that remains is a tightrope walk above a pack of slavering mutants - because of course the first monster immediately howled for reinforcements when it looked like you were getting away.

No problem at all, in other words. No, really. Absolutely no problem whatsoever. With graceful crane stance you could tap-dance across backwards if you wanted to. You don't, though. You walk across at a sedate pace with your arms held out for balance, remaining mortal-compliant. It's not as if you're going to outrun the dogs when you have to stop and retrieve the rope after each crossing.

In this manner you penetrate deeper into dog territory, but it's only a matter of time before it stops working. Closer to her lair the dogs will be bigger, and soon enough they'll have the strength and claws to climb up after you. You'll... think of something when that happens.

Whups, better think quickly, because that's a monster dog scrambling onto the roof ahead of you. Compromising a smidgeon on the mortal-compliance, you turn on your heel and run back across your tightrope, but the dog just leaps across after you.

"Brutus?" you try. "Judas?" No reaction. You rack your brain for the names of other dogs who might remember you from your minion days as you back away across the roof. "Lucy? Inky? Socks?"

At that last name, it stops advancing on you and perks up. Just in time, because you had reached the edge of the roof.

"Socks! Remember me? I used to feed you and play with you." You remove a glove and hold your hand out for him to sniff. Hopefully-Socks accepts your offer, and carefully sniffs your hand - and then your face, and the rest of your body. You remain tensed throughout, ready to shadow-dodge away in an instant if it looks like he's going for a bite instead.

Not being completely stupid, you elected to wear a balaclava for your infiltration attempt. In a worst-case scenario you can abort the mission and use powers to get away without worrying about being recognized. That doesn't really make being nose-fondled by a giant monster not nerve-wracking, though. But in the end, the monster takes a step back and makes a huffing sound of... acceptance? He doesn't attack, at least.

"Can you take me to Rachel?" you ask. He just stares at you. Oh, right. You had gotten used to Fenrir as the standard for communicating with giant canines. Socks isn't sapient, though. Does he even know Rachel's name?

"Home?" you try instead. "Let's go home!" At that, he lets out the monster equivalent of a happy bark, and jumps off the roof. Then he turns around and looks up expectantly, waiting for you to follow.

---

"Who's this?" Rachel asks. She's talking to Socks, but you step forward and remove your balaclava, and answer in his stead.

"It's me. Taylor."

"Oh. Whaddaya want?" It's not the warmest of greetings, but it's a far sight better than what you'd have gotten if you'd come in another guise.

"Bearer of bad news, I'm afraid" you say, before stopping to wonder if you're exceeding her English levels too. "Lisa's dead," you finish simply.

"Who did it?" Rachel demands.

"Coil." You hold up your hand when she looks like she's about to call for her dogs and go on a crusade right here and now. "I killed him already."

"Good." With that, she seems to put the entire matter behind her.

"With both of them gone, you won't be getting any more support," you point out.

"I can manage on my own. Always have."

"Never thought otherwise," you say, hands held out placatingly. "Just wanted to let you know, you know."

Rachel just grunts in response. "How's Bubbles?" she asks after a moment.

Of course she'd ask that. You're stupid for not expecting it. "Dead," you say thickly, looking away. "Leviathan." Rachel doesn't say anything. You keep looking away as the silence lingers. You fully expect her to attack you for your negligence, and you're willing to give her a free shot. You deserve it.

Instead she shoves a puppy into your arms.

"Wha-"

"Therapy puppy," Rachel explains.

Oh. Okay. As long as she isn't trying to give you a replacement, you can deal. You pet the puppy.

"I lost some of mine too," she says.

---

Your mind-hands pause in their carving almost as soon as you started. "What even was her last name?" you ask.

"Wilbourn, I think," Ghost says.

"How do you spell that?"

"No idea."

You resume carving. Briefly. "I suppose a D.O.B. would be too much to ask for?"

"No shit."

You sigh, and go with your best guess. Once you're done, you let your mind-hands fade and study your work.

LISA WILBORNE
    1994-2011
    Smarter than you​

"It's what she would have wanted," Ghost says.

The paving slab you've carved the words into should be more or less directly above where she was buried in the explosion.

"Not quite smart enough, though," Aisha says.

"Not the time, Imp."

"Oh, you think I'm being inappropriate?"

You turn around at her words, only to find that Evil Taylor (in her temporary guise as the mysterious fourth member of BITN) has pulled down her pants and is squatting to relieve herself on the street. Oh for fuck's sake, she's pissing on Lisa's grave. Because you were friends.

"That's petty, even for an evil clone."

20. Whitesnake Pelinal

Justice! Sweet, proportional, non-lethal justice.

Poor mirror!Taylor, she's going to be drafted to learn all the skills Taylor doesn't want. Like paperwork.

Also, reeeeeeeeeeeeee whose permission.

*snerk*

Taylor: Press F to pay respects.
    Gaylor: <remaps keys>

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  21. zapking5

I really wish Taylor would actually spirit bond a puppy. Just because it would be incredibly funny to see Low Key going around with an adorable puppy

DigBickBaddy, w34v3r, tseptim and 7 others like this.
  22. queermunist

queermunist Cummunism Will Win!

She's being transformed into the Number Man while OG Taylor is transforming into Jack Slash.

23. Fernando

Fernando Part-time Loaf

kek :V

it's what lisa's funeral arrangement plans demanded, no less.

24. zharshoul

zharshoul Not too sore, are you?

Well since one group of people(clones) were already declared to be non human in story, through no fault of their own, it means the government basically doesn’t have the moral highground against the nazis in story, especially if they are more the “separate place for every race” and not the “ kill/enslave the lesser races” variety.

It just keeps getting worse and worse :) . Never change Worm.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  25. Dakkah

Dakkah Know what you're doing yet?

Not like that's the first time, in most work sectors, industries and politics capes are legally labeled as non-grata. Even if their powers are unrelated to it.

R.A.G., Ruy, omni001 and 3 others like this.
  26. Whitesnake Pelinal

I think I'm gonna reference 'Duplicette' as case law if I ever write anything related. If NEPEA-5 is real, why not?

Wonder if evil clones are even allowed to petition for citizenship. Maybe they can marry in?

... come to think of it, Taylor has strong feelings for Theo, and so will her clone.

Ragura, R.A.G., Lis91 and 7 others like this.
  27. Stanley_Jeb

Stanley_Jeb Versed in the lewd.

... Huh.
    You know, Evil Clone Taylor might just date Theo to spite real-Taylor.

28. Paralein

Paralein I trust you know where the happy button is?

You know things aren't at their best when Rachel is the only person in the story who even tries to fix someone's psyche.

29. Whitesnake Pelinal

I don't think she'd stop there. I'm thinking full yamato nadeshiko treatment, despite having zero sexual desire for him, because she loves everything Theo stands for.

Slayerofnubs, R.A.G., w34v3r and 6 others like this.
  30. Aurora Raven

Aurora Raven Corvids are cool

My sides have been torn apart by dogs.

R.A.G., Lis91, w34v3r and 15 others like this.