1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Charm Learning Shard (Worm/Exalted) (COMPLETED)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Daniel Snuts, Apr 24, 2022.

1. ses

ses Experienced.

So how does it feel to manage over a hundred fucking chapters on a 5 a week schedule without slipping and disappearing for an unexpected hiatus you absolute fucking madlad.

Hell_Yeah, Syruk, Radrahil and 37 others like this.
  2. zharshoul

zharshoul Not too sore, are you?

Kinda meh ending, especially if thats a real epilogue. An ending chapter with various peoples thoughts woulda been nice.

The comments and speculations were fun regardless of the story kinda tapering off and still worth it.

There was never any doubt she was gonna win, you know when a character gets that strong , you need interpersonal relationship to carry the story, because combat is a foregone conclusion. But she’s a gamer who’s emotionally stunted and butchered so no hope on that avenue.

Syruk, NotaWriter, determind and 7 others like this.
  3. JustCurious

JustCurious Not too sore, are you?

That was an awesome adventure. Thanks, Snuts. Looking forward to whatever you do in the future :)

4. Genju

Genju Getting sticky.

I thought it was pretty great, had a very solemn vibe to it, but I mean…
    he did warn everyone.

Syruk, Caelleh, DigBickBaddy and 19 others like this.
  5. queermunist

queermunist Cummunism Will Win!

I'd argue the hard materialism of this work and Worm as a whole means that no one ever actually had free will. Literally everyone and everything is dancing on the strings of causation and probability. At least with Joy in charge (I read that right, right? That's her English name?) the meat puppets are happy while dancing on strings.

(yes I know about compatibilism I just think it's a cope lol)

Hey gratz on finishing! You struggled a lot to get this thing published and that's commendable.

I still totally think you're a /pol/ack, but that's okay I browsed that shithole for years so it's not like I can throw stones. I read this thing to the end for a reason after all (I called it "hate reading" at some point but honestly I enjoyed a lot of what the story offered)

If that's a crime we'll work off our debt to society in gulag together

space turtle, Bepson, KonradC and 7 others like this.
  6. PlasticSoldier

PlasticSoldier Experienced.

7. Enso

Enso 卢卡

It fits the story quite well. What do you feel at the end of the road when you get revenge? Is sacrificing for power worth it?

It's a shame the story's a fanfic and I can't order a copy.

Syruk, Caelleh, Slayerofnubs and 10 others like this.
  8. XZR-2

XZR-2 Getting sticky.

Charm Learning Shard 2: Electric Boogaloo
    When?

9. zapking5

zapking5 But I don't want to have a title!

Personally I never understood the free will vs determinism debate. If your actions aren't predictable, then they must be based on something other than who you are. Randomness is much more of a threat to some idea of free will than determinism in my opinion.

I agree that it makes sense for the story to end with a bit of a whimper. It wouldn't fit for a climatic ending when the story is about Taylor's gradual destruction in pursuit of power.

This author's interpretation of Ward's bullshit would be truly hilarious I suspect.

10. ses

ses Experienced.

I don't think it ended with a whimper personally. I can't see any other way for it to end but her trying to an hero

She wasn't emotionally stunted. At least not because snuts was incapable of writing emotion. He did a great job of showing her emotional journey. There was tons of interpersonal relationships. The fact that they were systemically destroyed and that she was destroyed as a person as a result of them is, y'know, story conflict and character development.

Oh also unrelated don't think we didn't notice that the Dinah foreshadowing was paid off, and she was totally using Infernal Monster Form.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    Syruk, Caelleh, Slayerofnubs and 13 others like this.
  11. Cosmic Dream

Cosmic Dream dreaming of utopia

Great work. Thanks for sharing with us :).

12. Doc Sithicus

Doc Sithicus Not too sore, are you?

Great story, I've got to admit my favorite part was the E88 arch - Hookwolf's dojo and meme lords minions.

13. queermunist

queermunist Cummunism Will Win!

Stunted isn't quite the right word, but her growth was pruned in a really destructive way. All of the good potential character growth she could have made was destroyed and so her character just grew worse and worse.

She's like an emotional bonzai tree

Syruk, Caelleh, NotaWriter and 14 others like this.
  14. Imperialaxis

Imperialaxis Not too sore, are you?

You know, I really like this ending. It’s simple, it makes sense, and it’s honestly less depressing than canon. Aisha still being alive means a lot, and I would absolutely read a romantic hurt/comfort sequel fic of Taylor learning to be a human again under Aisha’s tender care.

Syruk, Caelleh, Slayerofnubs and 13 others like this.
  15. Daniel Snuts

Daniel Snuts Know what you're doing yet?

That's a good point, why didn't she just drop stealth and go for the hug, instead of writing a note? I mean, she definitely survived the complete destruction of Brockton Bay, right? It wasn't Contessa, a note-sized portal and the path to maintaining a crucial asset. Wasn't Dragon with a stealth drone and similar ideas, because the AI couldn't have cracked the code after the S9 arc.

(gotta stay true to the original, and Wildbow's little "what epilog? Oh you mean Taylor's dying hallucination?")

Jesus, don't do that to me. I thought my ESL had finally caught up to me right at the finish line.

Like you tell your mom she's your favorite mom? I honestly don't think I've ever read a completed Worm fic.

Feels nice to be down to just one job again. But it was fun too! I won't say that everyone was nice and encouraging, because, you know. But the only thing that ever offended me was the idea that I would have been anything but scrupulous with charm learning times. When I put Rune into the planning spreadsheet, I saw that Sometimes Horses Fly Approach would become the axis around which all of arc L would have to bend. And I went "aight, we'll do that."

I did warn everyone.

Turns out that when art is actually transgressive, it doesn't get a bunch of smarmy cunts praising it for being transgressive. It gets shut the fuck down.

I think I went to /pol/ once. Or maybe it was /b/? I came, I saw, the forum layout made my eyes bleed, I left and never came back.

With Taylor dipping her toes into Devil-Tiger I've sort of laid groundwork for exalted-titan Taylor going up against worm-titan whoever. But I haven't read that thing, nor will I. Charm Learning Ward will never happen.

The Fan-Service At The End Of The World.

Should also call out my favorite comments.

3rd place goes to this one:
    Because it made me go "I wonder which are which".

2nd place:
    Because yes, I did accidentally do that.

But first place goes to the guy on reddit who said (paraphrasing) "Good thing the author turned out to be a nazi, because that justifies my decision not to read it because of the second person perspective."

mz213, Antinomy, CrossyCross and 38 others like this.
  16. Dakkah

Dakkah Know what you're doing yet?

Not canonizing that Epilog? You're a Bad man Daniels.

17. zharshoul

zharshoul Not too sore, are you?

I think you misunderstand me ( to various people) I’m not surprised by the ending especially since he let us know and it fits the vein of the story as well. It’s “good” in that regard but its still a story where bad things happen, things just get worse and nothing of importance (other than Scion dying I guess) is really resolved. This is Taylor’s life and her adventure into powers whether she liked it or not. (She didn’t) . It’s a story of disappointment , seeing hope continually snuffed out, the seemingly pointlessness of it all and it does it well.

I would personally never recommend it as a stand alone fic but more as a thing to read along with the comments from the start. I get that there are people that like that though, but I’m not one of them.

——-
    Yes there are several hundred page long thread comments of stories I have joined in late or when it was over and read through, its a sort of meta experience and adds a certain context compared to reading the naked fic.

——-
    It was certainly a trip and I was glad to have been here.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  18. Aravis

Aravis Not too sore, are you?

Well that was an ending, I suppose. Enjoyed the ride!

19. zapking5

Why would Contessa bother? She and Doctor Mother have no reason to care about Earth Bet in particular, and probably would just retire to a beach in some world with no parahumans now that the multiversal threat is seemingly gone.

Syruk, Arrakeen, space turtle and 2 others like this.
  20. ses

ses Experienced.

Bravo snuts, bravo. This was my favorite wormfic ever, and honestly the obsession with it took over my life for the past month to a probably unhealthy degree. I really really hope you continue to write transgressive art for QQ and don't feel chased off now that you've finished what you came here to do.

21. Gallyrat

Gallyrat Getting sticky.

Two questions, if that's okay. If not, whatever man.

Had you decided on the ending's pacing before you posted chapter 1?

Are there any fanworks in the Parahumans fandom, or something else that SB/SV/QQ likes, that you particularly hated around the time you first started writing this?

22. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I appreciate that you didn't technically ask, but:
    Security.
    Trump Card
    Lord Doom

23. 1minus2

1minus2 Know what you're doing yet?

This fic is really something special. I've read enough fanfics to know which ones I'll remember and come back to, like there's so many 'safe' fics that follow favorite tropes (or rehash canon :mad:) - they're entirely forgettable. Not this. I really hope you end up writing something else, because quality work like this is really addicting lol. Thank you for being committed to bringing in something like this.

24. ses

ses Experienced.

Completely Unoriginal as well was a completed fic I enjoyed reading. Was also a power-copying Trump fic that managed to remain down to earth and story focused like this one.

Daring Synthesis was also completed.

25. Earth-Destroyer

Earth-Destroyer Versed in the lewd.

PeriodicPedant and space turtle like this.
  26. omni001

omni001 Versed in the lewd.

So, this story is finally done. Honestly I'm both a bit happy and sad to see it over. I've read this story since back on SpaceBattles and it's one of the most creative and outthere Worm fics I've read in a long time. It was willing to go places both storywise and humor wise I've never seen another Worm fic go. I kinda lost interest after the end of arc L when it hard spiraled into grimderp, I had hoped Snuts was joking when they said they were purposely going to copy my least favorite part of canon Worm, yet despite that the story still managed to fit in countless moments of creativity, humor, subversion, and general moments of awesomeness all the way to the end.

Bravo Snuts, and I look forward to your next work if and when that is.

27. zapking5

Ooh, I will also post a list of completed worm fics that I thought were ok. I actually think this fic might be favorite completed one though.

A Cape in Konoha (Worm/Naruto AU)

A Wand for Skitter (Worm/HP)

A Word

Charity Begins at Home

East of Eden: A New Twist on an Old Cycle

Dominion (Worm, S9!Taylor)

Yeah, it is interesting how original and memorable this fic is despite following the stations of canon to a certain extent.

28. PoplarJam

PoplarJam Making the rounds.

Why was so much detail and focus spent on E88 being right about everything they believed? It feels like they had more depth than anyone else in the story.

Karispyro and A Stony Pastry like this.
  29. Doc Sithicus

Doc Sithicus Not too sore, are you?

Oh? Do you have another fiction going?

space turtle likes this.
  30. néocorvinus

néocorvinus Versed in the lewd.

What happened to Jack Slash and Bonesaw?