1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Common Names Causing Rejected Registrations

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by tehelgee, Jun 10, 2017.

1. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Please don't use common names as a username.

At least once a week, sometimes more often, an attempted registration will get rejected because a user chose a name that's flagged in the database we use. The reason for most of those is that it's a normal name. Matt, Theresa, Sam, Lucy, Thomas, and so on. Once one of those names has been rejected, future attempts using the same email and IP address get automatically rejected and it becomes a hassle to get people signed up if they email me about it.

So, I'm making this thread to pin with the rules to hopefully cut down on that.

2. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Could you explain why attempting to sign up with such a name deserves an IP-ban? It seems pretty harmless to me.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Because spammers use them as low effort usernames across many websites, the names get tagged as belonging to spammers in the database.

4. Prezombie

Prezombie Getting out there.

A simple warning is probably okay as a stopgap fix, but IP banning should only ever be used as a last resort. It's easy for bad actors to get around, while false positives have a far worse time because IP addresses do not have a 1:1 association with people.

Add a captcha to the registration process, maybe two if you're extra paranoid (one during registration and a different one on the "email confirmed" link page), and instead of having that "common name database" triggering a ban, simply have it trigger the "username already taken" error.

5. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

This is automatic functionality through XenForo's StopForumSpam integration, which aggregates spam reports across multiple sites. We don't have the ability to make detailed changes to the internals of the system, and just turning it off would increase the spam load on the moderators a lot.

Captchas don't really help; modern computers can solve them, and if not people get paid just to solve captchas 24/7 to let bots spam places.

Grimmouse197, JiggieP, Alayne and 7 others like this.
  6. Nilbog

Nilbog (Verified Cape) (Unverified Goblin)

The banner up top makes me wish i made an account named "Dennis, Simon, or Kenny" as one name. Just for a stupid joke no one will get in like, a month

7. EDGEYMCNAME2016

EDGEYMCNAME2016 Kitsunes Are Better, Fite Me Bii.

They rejected Kenny, you bastards!

Grimmouse197, Echoes, Ku4kin and 25 others like this.