• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Do you think that all stories could be real somewhere?

ScriptGenius12

I trust you know where the happy button is?
I mean we don't have proof for or against it. And I am no physicist myself.

I mean if it's real that means Cthulhu, the Chaos Gods, Thanos, etc. all exist somewhere in the multiverse and come suddenly come out of nowhere and invade our world at anytime. But at the same time, it means that somewhere, sometime, someplace, some versions of ourselves are living our absolute best lives. Once again, we can't prove or disprove it

Yes, and they made fanfictions of themselves being mundane individuals who are going to this site. Basically, they are shitposting that everything is mundane when they are clearly not on their worlds. Truly ahead of their time.

I mean we don't have proof for or against it. And I am no physicist myself.

I mean if it's real that means Cthulhu, the Chaos Gods, Thanos, etc. all exist somewhere in the multiverse and come suddenly come out of nowhere and invade our world at anytime. But at the same time, it means that somewhere, sometime, someplace, some versions of ourselves are living our absolute best lives. Once again, we can't prove or disprove it
Well...maybe? We can't tell.
The laws of physics seem to apply to our existence, but we can't say if there is anything beyond physics since that...would require a POV above physics. So it is a forever 'maybe yes.'

I like to imagine so, but on the other hand, after reading some of the...I'll just call it stuff, on many different sites, I sincerely hope not.

The one five minute video about undertale game theory made that I watched years ago says so.

I'm not denying it, but I do find it difficult that there's a universe where someone from ours got klepped and added into by a race of immortal corporate... Board member people that run a company solely based on cloning people and reselling them to their own employees. Logic would then indicate there are an endless amounts of such races or groups capable of wiping universes out with a flick of their appendages, whether that be hands, tentacles or things I'm incapable of perceiving. And supposedly these beings would only cut off from each other due to perceived distance.

And somehow that wouldn't be the weirdest thing to exist, so I'd rather not believe this theory.

Not all- some stories have the whole multiverse experiencing something that our Earth hasn't and should have by now. Universal messages, disasters, etc... Unless something has shielded us from that or undone the effects and made us forget but if there's a being capable of that and still allowed covid to ravage the Earth they're a callous and cruel being that frankly scares me.

I don't think all stories are possible. Ones that are tightly scripted and have an internally consistent framework, yes. Like, I could see Lord of the Rings being a real alternate universe.

OTOH some universes are so inconsistent, constantly retconned, and internally contradictory that it seems clear to me such a universe could not exist. Like, look at Star Trek: Voyager. Low-hanging fruit, I know. Characters dramatically change personalities from one episode to the next (Kate Mulgrew publically said she thought Janeway had severe bipolar disorder because it was the only way she could rationalize how inconsistently Janeway acted, and that she believed Janeway lost what little sanity she had left after season 4). That's on top of the technology routinely breaking its own established rules and the laws of physics often behaving entirely differently to get through a plot of the week.

Such a universe could not exist, there could be broad shades of a story there hitting some of the high points but the world as portrayed simply couldn't happen.

I don't think all stories are possible. Ones that are tightly scripted and have an internally consistent framework, yes. Like, I could see Lord of the Rings being a real alternate universe.

OTOH some universes are so inconsistent, constantly retconned, and internally contradictory that it seems clear to me such a universe could not exist. Like, look at Star Trek: Voyager. Low-hanging fruit, I know. Characters dramatically change personalities from one episode to the next (Kate Mulgrew publically said she thought Janeway had severe bipolar disorder because it was the only way she could rationalize how inconsistently Janeway acted, and that she believed Janeway lost what little sanity she had left after season 4). That's on top of the technology routinely breaking its own established rules and the laws of physics often behaving entirely differently to get through a plot of the week.

Such a universe could not exist, there could be broad shades of a story there hitting some of the high points but the world as portrayed simply couldn't happen.
It really depends on whether physics and causality are the same in those verses.
I mean it because due to how Warp speed works, that would make most sci fi universes impossible due to how it screws with cause and effect.

It really depends on whether physics and causality are the same in those verses.
I mean it because due to how Warp speed works, that would make most sci fi universes impossible due to how it screws with cause and effect.
Just to be clear, are you suggesting traveling at warp speed caused Janeway to behave completely irrationally, while leaving other major characters like Sisko unaffected?

Just to be clear, are you suggesting traveling at warp speed caused Janeway to behave completely irrationally, while leaving other major characters like Sisko unaffected?
I mean that warp speed implies breaks in cause and effect.
At the perspective of any light signal, you are travelling to the past.

I didn't watch Janeway, people said I should watch Deep Space Nine instead.

It doesn't matter. Its like asking if there's a heaven when we die. If there is that would be awesome, but I don't feel like dying anytime soon. I have a family and a life that I want to live in, right now. If their is a magical dimensional gate somewhere that led to all of the world's fiction that would be really cool, but I don't think any of us are going to find it and spending our days dreaming about it is distracting us from the really important things in life.

TLDR- Go touch some grass.

I personally go with no, because I believe that imagination is real.

So you don't believe in fictional universes being real because you believe imagination is real? Isn't that like saying I don't eat food because I dislike being hungry
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

The question in the OP was if we think all stories could be real somewhere. I said no. I don't think all imagined ideas are real somewhere. I think people are completely capable of imagining things that aren't real anywhere.

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

The question in the OP was if we think all stories could be real somewhere. I said no. I don't think all imagined ideas are real somewhere. I think people are completely capable of imagining things that aren't real anywhere.
Fair, that makes more sense

I personally go with no, because I believe that imagination is real.
...I don't see how one invalidates the another. Just because you imagined something and said something exists elsewhere won't suddenly imply you have no imagination. That information didn't suddenly come to you. You just thought on something that might exist in a random chance.

How would all universes existing work alongside retcons? There's plenty of fictional universes where the past changes pretty dramatically as the author makes new things up and changes their mind, Star Wars f'rex, or Monstergirl Encyclopedia.

So far, if we take our best guesses and theories and extend them to their breaking point?

All signs point to, yes. The multiverses are big. Very big so...the answer to your question is yes, Op.

But there's also little point in worrying about it.

In some corner of existence right now beings beyond your comprehension are blasting apart clusters of the cosmic Ygdrassil and retroactively changing stuff, in another Emiya is running a restaurant and is just applying the finishing touches to some dish with Saber impatiently waiting, elsewhere, the ancestors to humans and all mammals never stepped on land, somewhere else Paladins alongside Goku are fighting against Eldritch horrors and waifu catalogue variants in some conflict that will end up ultimately meaningless, elsewhere you were handed a Green Lantern ring and are a harem protagonist even as in another you've been dropped off in Berserk, and here, you...are you, whoever you are.

In other words:

Live your life and don't worry about the wider cosmos until it affects you directly friend. ;)

Granted though, it is interesting to ponder from time to time.

All stories? No, I don't believe so not exactly. However I do believe the basis of many do as I fully believe in a afterlife, the soul and a infinite multiverse.

And example would be a Harry Potter like world. With magic, different species and so on. Or Naruto with super ninjas that enjoy yelling out their attacks.

What I don't believe are the higher existences that rule over all. Ophis or Great Red in DxD, Zeno in DBS, Darkseid in DC and so on.

Oh there could be higher levels of existence but anything on a multiversal for them isn't really happening. So the basics being real and happening? Sure. The mind boggling rulers of their multi verses? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back