1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeon Delver Quest (Original Fantasy... again)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by yrsillar, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

Well if we're talking about how much fun it would be for Yrs to write... remember the last 2 straight laced characters we had basically ran things down.
    Where as the Crazy Yanyan girl from Final Boss was pretty provably one of his favourites to write (and a favourite of everyone to read)

So when voting keep in mind one small thing... how much fun would X character be to read/write?

Priapus likes this.
  2. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

I think Du would be a lot of fun to read about. Du is all about magically swording harder than the sword she's holding can possibly sword.

3. a2znut

a2znut Needs more handholding. [Forever DM]

[X] Yatsurugi no Yuuka

4. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

[X] Ansom Prin

5. shaderic

shaderic An ordinary cat?

[X] Ansom Prin

Violent Maniac it is!

Pipeman likes this.
  6. aoirann

aoirann All of the Kink. None of the guilt.

[X] Du Hansard
    -[X] Male

7. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

[X] Linnea Basswood

8. prandom

prandom Definitely Trustworthy

[X] Du Hansard
    -[X] Male

9. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

[X] Yatsurugi no Yuuka

10. Sirrocco

Sirrocco Tiny but ambitious squid

So, current vote totals by hand-count

[2] Shadow
    [4] Yatsurugi no Yuuka
    [3] Ansom Prin
    [3] Du Hansard
    -[3] Male
    [1] Linnea Basswood

Still anyone's game, really.

edit: and while we're here, I'd like to offer my own (rather biased) take on each of these.

- Shadow: my favorite, obviously. I voted for her, and I wrote her. Still, there's some nice stuff here. She's canny, practical, and willing to do whatever she needs to. There's a bit of default distrust and warming up to go through. She has an interesting relationship with an Entity to work out, and her powers are probably going to function a bit differently than everyone else's, which will have its own implications. Then there's the fact that at some point, she's likely to have out-of-towners come looking for her with hostile intent. Over all, she's chock full of plot hooks, with a built-in sociopathic-but-friendly NPC.

- Yatsurugi no Yuuka: my third favorite. She's also a sympathetic character, which is important. She misses second (barely) because we've been running a Brutal Bruiser quite recently with City Raider Quest.

- Ansom Prin: I just don't find her in any way sympathetic. I wasn't all that fond of Miya as a character, and I wouldn't want to play one. Least favorite.

- Du Hansard: Gotta admit it, I'm not really into hermaphrodites or genderswap. The artificer angle is potentially interesting, though if it devolves into "I'm a fighter who buffs his gear to make up for the fact that he's not as good a fighter" that gets less interesting. Given yrsillar, I don't expect that to be a problem, though. The race... feels a bit tacked-on to me. Not sure what to do with it, really.

- Linnea Basswood: seems like a pretty default dryad druid. I'd probably enjoy what yrsillar did with her if she won, but I'm not inspired just yet. Still, no actual objections. Second favorite.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Priapus likes this.
  11. Tavarokk

Tavarokk Pursuer of perversion

Yuuka sounds like a mix of Skadi and Mei, which is great.

Miya as PC would've been awesome, but Xicree's description and art choice don't match her for me at all.

Nanimani likes this.
  12. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

I must admit, half the reason Miya is the last on my list is because of the art choice.
    The other half is because I really don't see the point in playing a character that's all about depending on luck.

EDIT: Wait...she is not called Miya at all :(

13. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

[X] Murdon Mall'eoch

14. Nohbody

Nohbody Versed in the lewd.

[X] Yatsurugi no Yuuka

15. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

[X] Du Hansard
    -[X] Male

I really like the idea of a "lesser" mage whose only power is in making their warrior gear (armor, sword, etc) more effective. Also, interesting species idea

16. Tavarokk

Tavarokk Pursuer of perversion

Weren't you around during Final Boss? That's where Miya's from.

Would've used one of these for 'live to fight, fight to feel alive' char:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Xicree

Because I don't want 'Miya' I want someone who is her own kind of crazy.

Also crazy luck manipulator seems like an interesting kind of gameplay mechanic which we never explored.

18. Fedorable

Fedorable Memetic Sex Goddess

[X] Du Hansard

Gecko?

19. 1986ctcel

1986ctcel Connoisseur.

[X] Du Hansard
    -[X] Male

20. Sirrocco

Okay. Shadow's clearly not coming back from this. Ah, well. Time to change vote to my favorite from who remains.

[] Yatsurugi no Yuuka

edit: I was wrong!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  21. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

So we've got Du Hansard and Yatsurugi no Yuuka tied at six. I'm currently polishing off Triforce Heroes, so I'm choosing to consider this as Link vs Ganondorf. The tricky item master vs the powerful bruiser. Both could be a lot of fun, but I know which one I prefer for Smash Run.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  22. Sirrocco

You're also the guy who came up with him in the first place. You can be expected to be biased.

23. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

Well of course. Just like you were biased towards Shadow. Not because you made her up, per se, but because you made up the experience you would most enjoy.

24. Sirrocco

Eh? I think it's a bit of both, honestly. There's that desire to see the character you wrote be the one that wins.

Arkeus likes this.
  25. Butter Flies

Butter Flies Versed in the lewd.

[X] Shadow

Sirrocco likes this.
  26. Xicree

~Xi Sighs~

No love for the crazy Probability-manipulator... Somehow unsurprising.

Just to let you know though, playing too conservative in this game, we outright will miss all the best loot. And from missing the best loot it will leave us behind on getting the next best set of loot... and so on and so on.

It's going to be a race.

27. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

Getting the best loot and making it better is what Du is all about.

28. Sirrocco

For what it's worth, Yatsurugi no Yuuka doesn't seem to be all that into excessive caution herself.

I also absolutely agree with you. We'll want to get a solid group early on and push. It's not just the falling behind - it's that if you take too long, the monsters that you wanted to kill could all be farmed out. This appears to be a less purely gamist universe, so forming into groups early on makes sense.

Huh. Thinking about it, Yatsurugi (tank/bruiser), Shadow (blaster/debuff), Murdan (summoner/blaster), Du(tank/equipment-based buffs), and Linnea (heals and other druidic magics) could be a pretty solid team (assuming that Du can buff other people's gear, too).

29. Kinematics

Kinematics Well worn.

Character design, I like Yatsurugi no Yuuka. Character-wise, though, is more of a cute side character than a protagonist. Skillwise is a bit too similar to the other recent quest character.

Background, I mostly like Shadow, though I would have changed things a bit, given that the 'penalty' is tailor-made for dungeon delving.

Skillwise, I like Du Hansard. I just have a preference for crafting types. The gender morphing hurts it, though, and background is a bit weak.

I quite like Linnea as a character, but can acknowledge that she just doesn't fit the role of protagonist in this Magi-like world.

Voting-wise, there's only really two choices left at this point: Yatsurugi and Du Hansard. Both are nice, but have negatives that go with them that keep either from being a solid definite.

With no reasonable method of differentiation based on design, I'll go with the dice rolling method. 3 out of 4 different types of dice rolls say:

[X] Yatsurugi no Yuuka

30. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

The gender morphing takes a month. It's probably not going to come into play during this game. It's also entirely at will, so it won't happen unless people vote to do it.