• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Exalted 3E Discussion

As usual, the details are rather vague, save occasional limited write-up and general 'time is shit, everyone agree messing with time is uncool and make it forbidden forever'

I see that they elected to include no such charms from the Solar side of the bond. See, and disapprove.

I see that they elected to include no such charms from the Solar side of the bond. See, and disapprove.
Solar Charms go in the Solar book...oh wait, all the Charms in that book are useless dice-tricks.
In all seriousness this is just a preview, there might be something in the actual book.

It's specifically a preview of Lunar Charms, can you imagine the fit people would throw if they wasted word-space on more Solar Charms in a preview that's meant to be about Lunars?
It's a preview of charms that all have Solar/Lunar bond elements. Given that this is the first we've seen of EX3 Solar/Lunar bond, yes, I would like to see Solar charms there. That would convince me that the bond is supposed to be a two-way street.

I am currently not convinced, nor impressed.

Well, there's still Hallowed Bond of Night and Flame ;)

So... Mrl got retconned to have lunar alliance or outright retconned away.... Well...

??

Not what I read. It's that maybe!Merela tried to declare her right to rule by virtue of being the biggest badass, some Lunars took offense, and it snowballed into dragging in most the rest of the Solars/Lunars. The peace deal created the alliance that forged the bonds.

Instead of Merela getting slapped down and being forced to create the Deliberative. The Deliberative apparently came much late in 3E.

So for those on here who care, Lunars kickstarter is up and already thoroughly funded.

Still most of a month to go if you have any desire to back or even just pledge a dollar to get a look at the manuscripts.

In any event, there's been some changes. Lunars are no longer Barbarian enthusiasts and Ma-Ha-Suchi is no longer Mr. Goat Fucker.

Also, on an unrelated note to 3e, Holden decided to be a crazy person and wrote up Exalted Vs World of Darkness as a fan book. I've got more about it over in the Homebrew thread since it seems more appropriate.

Unfortunately 3e has pretty much killed my interest in Exalted which is rather sad cause it used to really interest me.

Also, on an unrelated note to 3e, Holden decided to be a crazy person and wrote up Exalted Vs World of Darkness as a fan book. I've got more about it over in the Homebrew thread since it seems more appropriate.

I stayed away from it because Holden, but after you mentioned it today, I went and got it and read it.

It is sufficiently un-Holden-like that I can approve of it. I don't like the degradation of Sorcery, nor the buffing of Mages to being able actually mess with Exaltations.

It is sufficiently un-Holden-like that I can approve of it. I don't like the degradation of Sorcery, nor the buffing of Mages to being able actually mess with Exaltations.

The way I've heard it said, Holden does pretty good work normally. He just lets Morke talk him into stupid shit.

As for the Mage thing, he's got a quote about it in the Companion;

• How come mages get to screw around with Exaltation
when that was always strictly off-limits in Exalted itself?
Mostly for the same reason the Gurahl get to bring
the dead back to life, even though that was a feat beyond
the power of even the mightiest of the Chosen back in
Exalted: this is a different era and it plays by different
rules. Mages have the power to at least attempt to rewrite
reality according to their will, and I didn't feel it was
Exalted vs World of Darkness's job to delegitimize what
mages are. The Exalted are "guests" in the World of
Darkness, albeit very unruly ones. They're crashing in on
someone else's story. I didn't want this book to make the
World of Darkness feel like a paper mockery of itself by
just taking away any facts or features that might be
troublesome for the Chosen.

I can appreciate that sentiment.

The way I've heard it said, Holden does pretty good work normally. He just lets Morke talk him into stupid shit.

He got up to enough stupid shit all on his own.

As for the Mage thing, he's got a quote about it in the Companion;

I can appreciate that sentiment.

I can't. According to the book, the Exalted are not guests. They are the high-powered originals compared to the watered-down current inhabitants. If the Exalted themselves couldn't do it with Sorcery, Mages can't do it with their magic.

I can't. According to the book, the Exalted are not guests. They are the high-powered originals compared to the watered-down current inhabitants. If the Exalted themselves couldn't do it with Sorcery, Mages can't do it with their magic.

It's not an argument from an In Game perspective, but from a meta one. Exalted are "guests" in the sense that they're from a different gameline and getting dumped into the World of Darkness.

If you disagree with the idea that a Mage could in theory, if they were a Master of like three or four different Spheres just to make the attempt, mess around with an Exaltation then you can just say "Yeah, no."

Hell, it's what I do. I'm not personally found of the idea that anything short of narrative fiat is capable of messing with Exaltations and even then, they're pretty much throwing science magic at the wall and seeing what sticks.

That said, I can see where Holden is coming from, as a fan of both settings and not wanting to "delegitimize" Mage. I can respect that stance, even as I do something else in my own stuff.

Hell, it's what I do. I'm not personally found of the idea that anything short of narrative fiat is capable of messing with Exaltations and even then, they're pretty much throwing science magic at the wall and seeing what sticks.
In the Exalted setting there certainly have been things that messed with Exaltations.

The Jade Prison, the Abyssals & Infernals, the deterioration of the Lunars -- hell, even the Great Curse(s) probably count.

In some editions, various types of Exalt can take charms which modify their nature. IMHO that's the equivalent of messing with your own Exaltation.

So IMHO it should be incredibly difficult, but there's no inherent problem with Exaltations getting messed around. Not from their own setting's lore, nor from WoD's side either.

Eh, Master Mages don't grow on trees (metaphorically..), and if they did they usually have better things to do than messing with Exaltation (for one, they need to recognize Exaltation first). So, I don't much mind.

In the Exalted setting there certainly have been things that messed with Exaltations.

The Jade Prison, the Abyssals & Infernals, the deterioration of the Lunars -- hell, even the Great Curse(s) probably count.

In some editions, various types of Exalt can take charms which modify their nature. IMHO that's the equivalent of messing with your own Exaltation.

So IMHO it should be incredibly difficult, but there's no inherent problem with Exaltations getting messed around. Not from their own setting's lore, nor from WoD's side either.
I agree with this stance. Kinda annoying for a dev to completely miss this point and just accept the claim that exaltation are impossible to modify/mess with when this was never true.

It should still be theoretically possible for an archmage to attempt it, but still be subject to the rule that Exaltations cannot be 'downgraded' (ie from a Solar Exaltation you get Solaroids like the Abyssals and Green Sun Princes, not barely-Terrestrials).

It should still be theoretically possible for an archmage to attempt it, but still be subject to the rule that Exaltations cannot be 'downgraded' (ie from a Solar Exaltation you get Solaroids like the Abyssals and Green Sun Princes, not barely-Terrestrials).
There is also that ever-important tag of "Host must have Free Will".
edit:
As well as "Exaltation cannot be removed while Host still lives", "Exaltations cannot be destroyed", and "The Exaltation chooses it's Host, not You".
Although Infernals, Abyssals, and Alchemicals played around with that last one a lot they still had to abide by certain criteria.

Last edited:
Kung-Fu Panda, now with real pandas?
Unfortunately there is no Charm that lets you initiate familiars into Martial Arts :(
Also, animal shapes are incompatible with Martial Arts Charms unless the ST adjucates otherwise on a case by case basis (such as with animal-themed styles).

Unfortunately there is no Charm that lets you initiate familiars into Martial Arts :(
Also, animal shapes are incompatible with Martial Arts Charms unless the ST adjucates otherwise on a case by case basis (such as with animal-themed styles).
It should be simple enough to IC design an MA style that your Familiar can use proficiently.

It should be simple enough to IC design an MA style that your Familiar can use proficiently.
Not in the spirit of things, apparently. MAs seem to explicitly be an extension of human skill, even if some of them draw inspiration from the animal kingdom.

Not in the spirit of things, apparently. MAs seem to explicitly be an extension of human skill, even if some of them draw inspiration from the animal kingdom.
Sounds like all kinds of bullshit. What human skill? All humans ever learned was what they saw someone else do, then copycat. Human see, human do.

So I find it highly laughable that martial art, wich is basically "add Essence to combat move" in Exalted, based off animal moves can't be utilized by human-intelligence animals.
In Exalted humanity isn't special snowflake. They are the only sapient race running around because rest was genocided with extreme prejudice. Sapient ex-animals ... are totally not surprising with Demenses left right and center mutating the shit out of everything.

Take note that it isn't implausible for some mutated bear, who gained both Awekened Essence and Smart Brainz, to use said Essence while fighting wich once upon a time would result in Kung-Fu Panda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back