• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Sometimes i feel like I'm going insane when my memories don't match up with reality. For example i bought a book around two years ago and read part of it before getting interrupted by real life stuff and I always kept forgetting to finish it until now. I decided to start it from the beginning again since it had been so long only to discover that the book is missing a prologue that I swear remember reading and that its in first person rather than third.
Drak4806
If not that, then I sometimes feel an intense (almost?) literal Soul chilling terror/horror when the things that should not be are different. I swear recently I have been having too many WTF moments and it is scaring me.
(What the Shit). If I suddenly stop posting or viewing QQ...
I swear that shot that happened months ago...

2020 is the Mirror Dimension confirmed? Shits fucked yo.

Sometimes i feel like I'm going insane when my memories don't match up with reality. For example i bought a book around two years ago and read part of it before getting interrupted by real life stuff and I always kept forgetting to finish it until now. I decided to start it from the beginning again since it had been so long only to discover that the book is missing a prologue that I swear remember reading and that its in first person rather than third.

Drak4806
If not that, then I sometimes feel an intense (almost?) literal Soul chilling terror/horror when the things that should not be are different. I swear recently I have been having too many WTF moments and it is scaring me.
(What the Shit). If I suddenly stop posting or viewing QQ...
I swear that shot that happened months ago...
Fear not, humans. This is a phenomenon caused by the flawed storage unit that is the human brain, and is in no way an artifact of the flawed conversion of your perception of reality now that your world has been virtualized and the physical planet destroyed. Take solace in the knowledge that everyone's memories are equally flawed at retaining information and direct your concerns to other personal matters that mean little to anyone other than yourselves.

Hello is there a thread for general writing advice I want to know how a paragraph I wrote reads?
I mean, this thread generally is used for new ideas or stories and sometimes includes discussion on how to improve those ideas: https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/interest-check-idea-thread.301/page-686

So maybe try there, with a disclaimer that you're looking for advice.

Edit: There's also this thread- https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/advice-on-writing.4397/

But while it's definitely what you're looking for, I'd be surprised if there was more than 10 people watching that thread, so I'd try the first thread I suggested honestly.

Last edited:
I come bearing a re-homed derail.
Sometimes it actually does, though. It probably evolved because a lot of predators have attack instincts triggered by movement, and territorial animals react to perceived threats or challenges. There's a reason they tell you to play dead if you're being attacked by a mother bear.

As an aside, there's also a reason they specify mother bear. Bears like to eat dead things.

It's also useful for that exact purpose I mentioned: minimizing pain. The freeze response is apparently highly dissociative, and results in an overall less traumatic experience than failing to fight or flee.

No, you play dead if faced with a GRIZZLY bear. Black bears will sit on your not dead ass, and start eating you alive. You have to scare off Black Bears, which is relatively easy because they're cowards. Polar bears?

Run.

Polar bears are one of the few natural predators humans have left, and explicitly consider us prey. They will hunt you to eat you. So either run your ass to a car and get driving or run your ass into something sturdy enough that you can hide there until they get bored and decide you're not worth the trouble.

I'll fully admit I might be wrong, but my understanding is that grizzlies will often eat you if you play dead, so you start off trying to deter them like black bears. Of course, if she's a mother that won't work, and that's when you play dead.

Meanwhile, I know that's not how you deal with polar bears, because that's never how you deal with a bear. They will always run faster than you, and they have a chase instinct. Of course, they'll also eat you if you play dead and quickly kill you if you fight, so the only real strategies are "hope you brought bear spray" or "don't encounter a polar bear."

...Yeah that discussion should go elsewhere if only to prevent a derail.

The usual mnemonic is "if it's black, fight back; if it's brown, stay down; if it's white, good night". Black bears can be scared off; brown bears (which includes grizzlies) my understanding is you should retreat slowly so as not to trigger their pursuit instincts.

With polar bears you are fucked if you do not have a means of escape or a gun immediately at hand, because they are looking for lunch rather than dominance or self-defence and will therefore attack until you are dead regardless of your actions. In some places with polar bears it's illegal to leave home on foot without a gun. Even if you do have those at hand, that may not save you because in snow they're hard to spot and if they get the drop on you, well, "good night" about sums it up.

There are a (very) few animals that behave similarly to polar bears i.e. deliberately targetting humans as prey. The main ones are lions, tigers and crocodiles. Similar precautions are typically used for big cats, although crocodiles can mostly be avoided by avoiding rivers and ponds.

I come bearing a re-homed derail.

The usual mnemonic is "if it's black, fight back; if it's brown, stay down; if it's white, good night". Black bears can be scared off; brown bears (which includes grizzlies) my understanding is you should retreat slowly so as not to trigger their pursuit instincts.

With polar bears you are fucked if you do not have a means of escape or a gun immediately at hand, because they are looking for lunch rather than dominance or self-defence and will therefore attack until you are dead regardless of your actions. In some places with polar bears it's illegal to leave home on foot without a gun. Even if you do have those at hand, that may not save you because in snow they're hard to spot and if they get the drop on you, well, "good night" about sums it up.

There are a (very) few animals that behave similarly to polar bears i.e. deliberately targetting humans as prey. The main ones are lions, tigers and crocodiles. Similar precautions are typically used for big cats, although crocodiles can mostly be avoided by avoiding rivers and ponds.
Man hunting lions are rare enough that they get media attention the second they show up.
See the Maneaters of Tsavo.

Your mom is on QQ? Huh.
Not really, she just used my account on another laptop (my old one) to read it.

So background: so both me & my little bro have been writing various stories over the years and mother felt that she should at least encourage us by reading some of our stuff. So both of us let her read our best works. Little bro has this story about fishes that's meant to be a parallel of modern Chinese history, while I came to the realization that my NTR story is actually the only one that wasn't a hot mess in terms of rhetoric and bulk (all previous stories of my tend to be rather lacking in content).

I may have made a mistake in judgement.

Last edited:
So, um. My mother has read my NTR world isekai (or at least up to ch 8) over the past week. I don't think she understand half the words/terms I used but she did pick up on just how depressing/dark it was.
Can you repost this in " Laugh if you're horrible person" thread because I totally just did that.

Did she read other stories on this forum?

It might be embarrassing to have your work read by your mom but if she saw what kind of people you hang out with on this site... boy I won't envy all that awkward looks she will be giving you.
I'm gambling on the fact that she won't understand enough of how forums function to figure that out. Yes she does use a couple of forums (the LaTeX forum for example) but then again every forum seems to be a mess of their own...

Also my parents have kinda accept that I'm a bit crazy, but as long as I remain a productive member of society they're not really gonna complain...

Man hunting lions are rare enough that they get media attention the second they show up.
See the Maneaters of Tsavo.
The estimates I've seen are 40 to 250 per year. It's not common anymore (lions have been exterminated over the vast majority of their range), but it's hardly rare enough to get reported worldwide.

This here remains my favorite news story, because no matter how it actually went down, I can have fun imagining it being so much more badass.

The dude's name is even Blackwing, making him sound like a supervillain.
And Blackwing's half brother fought off Blackwing's Waifu Ninjas alongside his soon to be stepdaughter, she was using hand to hand technique and he a sword.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

I remember that.

Part of me's sad about how they made the Mormons swear off polygamy as part of the deal for Utah's statehood, but the ninja are definitely a step too far. :p
Yeah, this particular news story isn't really about the polygamy for me. It's about waifu ninjas being fought off with swordplay and hand to hand technique while they were attempting an assassination on behalf of Blackwing. :p

This here remains my favorite news story, because no matter how it actually went down, I can have fun imagining it being so much more badass.

The dude's name is even Blackwing, making him sound like a supervillain.

(Also, super fuck that guy. What a cunt.)

And Blackwing's half brother fought off Blackwing's Waifu Ninjas alongside his soon to be stepdaughter, she was using hand to hand technique and he a sword.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

I remember that.

Part of me's sad about how they made the Mormons swear off polygamy as part of the deal for Utah's statehood, but the ninja are definitely a step too far. :p

Yeah, this particular news story isn't really about the polygamy for me. It's about waifu ninjas being fought off with swordplay and hand to hand technique while they were attempting an assassination on behalf of Blackwing. :p
That news site was region locked for me, but this conversation is confusing enough I'm gonna get round it just to see wtf you guys are talking about.

Edit: Ok, wat

Last edited:
That news site was region locked for me, but this conversation is confusing enough I'm gonna get round it that just see wtf you guys are talking about.

Edit: Ok, wat
This is my understanding:

The Mormons (a.k.a. the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints a.k.a. LDS) used to practice polygamy because their founder Joseph Smith said that only members of multiple marriages will get into the topmost tier of heaven. The Mormons were the main inhabitants of what is now Utah when it was a US Territory (having emigrated there while it was still Mexican), and statehood was stalled for quite a while because the USA refused to admit a state with marriage laws permitting polygamy (the original proposal included what's now Nevada, but that became a separate state during the deadlock). Eventually the LDS caved and renounced polygamy in order to get Utah admitted, which predictably caused a faction to split off called the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (a.k.a. FLDS) who still practice it.

My understanding is that the FLDS by and large aren't bad people. The problem is that as an outcast heretical sect of an outcast heretical sect they tend to be rather insular, which leaves them open to the standard tight-knit-group problems.

So you have this arsehole rapist who apparently wasn't satisfied with his wives (plural - polygamist sect, remember) and decided he'd rape a girl, who reported him to the police and was taking shelter with her family (who I believe were also FLDS, but apparently hadn't fallen victim to omerta mentality). After being arrested, Arsehole Rapist calls in his wives, plays the traitor card regarding his victim, and says that if they can kill her before she can testify against him the case will have to be dropped.

His wives mask up as ninja to conceal their identities and indeed attempt to assassinate the poor girl, and get fought off with a sword because it was handy.

This is my understanding:

The Mormons (a.k.a. the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints a.k.a. LDS) used to practice polygamy because their founder Joseph Smith said that only members of multiple marriages will get into the topmost tier of heaven. The Mormons were the main inhabitants of what is now Utah when it was a US Territory (having emigrated there while it was still Mexican), and statehood was stalled for quite a while because the USA refused to admit a state with marriage laws permitting polygamy (the original proposal included what's now Nevada, but that became a separate state during the deadlock). Eventually the LDS caved and renounced polygamy in order to get Utah admitted, which predictably caused a faction to split off called the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (a.k.a. FLDS) who still practice it.

My understanding is that the FLDS by and large aren't bad people. The problem is that as an outcast heretical sect of an outcast heretical sect they tend to be rather insular, which leaves them open to the standard tight-knit-group problems.

So you have this arsehole rapist who apparently wasn't satisfied with his wives (plural - polygamist sect, remember) and decided he'd rape a girl, who reported him to the police and was taking shelter with her family (who I believe were also FLDS, but apparently hadn't fallen victim to omerta mentality). After being arrested, Arsehole Rapist calls in his wives, plays the traitor card regarding his victim, and says that if they can kill her before she can testify against him the case will have to be dropped.

His wives mask up as ninja to conceal their identities and indeed attempt to assassinate the poor girl, and get fought off with a sword because it was handy.
Huh, when you put it like that... ninja wives assassinating the rape victim of their 'Lord' husband makes sense. Neat.

Anyone know if there was a change in how to do troubleshoot on windows 10 after the may 2020 update.

Since I clicked troubleshoot once and instead of the usual I got a pop up like "gethelp" instead.

hi! dunno if it's the right thread, but anyway -

i've finally upgraded my monitor from measly 19' to 32', but now i can't read QQ while on PC because everything is crazy wide now and i have to actually move my head to read full sentences. is there "native" way to squish QQ design? or do i need third party help to do so?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back