• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Well, that IS often the best way... IMO anyway. I may have made a Ninja/Warlock in... 3.5, I think? And had to promise I wouldn't get the thing that would let my Eldritch Blast hit from 400ft away so the DM would let me have it benefit from Sneak Attack.

3.5e Sneak Attack can only happen within 30 ft.

And some versions of Ninja get a worse version of Sneak Attack which makes me deeply unhappy, since ninjae should be awesome to ensure that children continue to join the hobby.

3.5e Sneak Attack can only happen within 30 ft.

And some versions of Ninja get a worse version of Sneak Attack which makes me deeply unhappy, since ninjae should be awesome to ensure that children continue to join the hobby.

Nah, there was some feat- you know how 3.5 was with splatbooks- that let sneak attack happen at longer ranges.

You could find just about anything in 3.5 if you looked hard enough.

Nah, there was some feat- you know how 3.5 was with splatbooks- that let sneak attack happen at longer ranges.

You could find just about anything in 3.5 if you looked hard enough.
As I understand it, a big thing in 3.5E D&D that was spread around a handful of splatbooks, official and third-party both, was something like customizable metamagic. Which was something that allowed for horrendously broken magic workings, and which has had even the smallest hints of similar flexibility nerfed into the ground in all later D&D systems, and offerings.

As I understand it, a big thing in 3.5E D&D that was spread around a handful of splatbooks, official and third-party both, was something like customizable metamagic.
I... think I would have heard of that. Metamagic grants some flexibility, but it's hardly customizable. Most of the time it's not even worth the cost of the spell slot. Let alone the feats you have to burn just to use metamagic at all.

which has had even the smallest hints of similar flexibility nerfed into the ground in all later D&D systems, and offerings.
Wow, and here I thought I couldn't hate the newer editions of D&D any more.

As I understand it, a big thing in 3.5E D&D that was spread around a handful of splatbooks, official and third-party both, was something like customizable metamagic. Which was something that allowed for horrendously broken magic workings, and which has had even the smallest hints of similar flexibility nerfed into the ground in all later D&D systems, and offerings.

That sounds ominous but without enough information to convey meaning.

D&D has always had customizable magic -- many of the "name" spells in this edition were invented by players of a previous edition.

A lot of the most broken spells and combos were in the PHB, for example Shapechange.

I... think I would have heard of that. Metamagic grants some flexibility, but it's hardly customizable. Most of the time it's not even worth the cost of the spell slot. Let alone the feats you have to burn just to use metamagic at all.
I only have secondhand knowledge of the subject, honestly, but this is a webpage that is at the least an interesting starting point of all the things that 3E and 3.5E could do.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/GameBreaker/DungeonsAndDragonsThirdEdition

The biggest things were mainly from either Epic Spellcasting (abusing spell modifiers, both metamagic and otherwise, for fun and profit), and the ability to make PCs qualifiable for monster abilities and feats that simply weren't balanced against the notion of "consistent strength per level".
Wow, and here I thought I couldn't hate the newer editions of D&D any more.
One thing of note is that the worst game-breaking stuff is often, though not nearly always, available at later character levels. Something that 4E and later D&D has focused on is more minimizing many of the old paths to such overpowered abilities even later on, but they instead focus on giving a lot of possible options that ideally aren't broken as early as possible.

So in effect? Newer D&D has focused on early-game mechanical flexibility and openness over anything much regarding late-game power. Which can be both good and bad.

Hellbound Season 2 is out. Gonna do a refresher on Season 1 first.

I really hope it's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back