• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
Wow Charles is a better man than me if he doesn't immedeatly join Big A after what Nero did to him now.

Really wonder if she is ever going to get it through her head just how pathetic and useless she is

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see Iskander. Too many put him as a one dimensional character.

True.

There is a fic on SB called The Sages Disciple where he is given some interesting characterisation.

Lancer actually gets a happy ending.

It also has the mc knocking out Kayneth multiple times:D

True.

There is a fic on SB called The Sages Disciple where he is given some interesting characterisation.

Lancer actually gets a happy ending.

It also has the mc knocking out Kayneth multiple times:D
Indeed. That one was actually a partial inspiration, to be honest.

Chapter 54
I wonder what sort of welcome I'll get when I return home? To my blue house, in my little town, with my family inside.

They drag me into the blacksmith's tent. I hear them relay their orders, that a slave collar be forged.

I'll walk in the door, and my dogs will be so happy to see me again. Fitz will be first to reach me, I think, darting along with his white-tipped tail wagging up a storm. Chico will be along behind him, just as eager, but too old to really run fast any more, his skinny legs carrying him across the floor as his stubby stump of a tail wags joyfully.

Fresh collars, just forged, the blacksmith says, still hot. It'll burn him, says he. They don't care.

And my sisters will be there too, Ella, two years younger than me, but still surpassing me in just about everything, and Corey, two years younger than her. Corey likes to paint. I think I'll ask her what she's made, while I was gone. She's got a real talent there.

The blacksmith fetches the collar, still steaming to the touch, and straps me down. The praetorians poke me with their swords to make sure I don't get any funny ideas.

And my parents will be happy to see me too. Mom will be happy that I'm home from Antarctica, and Dad will be proud of me for working for the UN at Chaldea. And even if I can't tell them all that much about it, I'll know that I saved them. And that every bit of suffering along the way was worth it. This will be worth it, in the end.

They fix the collar around my neck, and all I know is pain.

REALLY hoping Charles goes with Big A after this.

Killing her is out of the question, everything that has happened would be for nothing.

At at the very least a punch straight in her face by Galahad(or any other servant seeing the master is human) or hit her with a bat straight in the head, it is impossible she can become any more stupid after the act.

Killing her is out of the question, everything that has happened would be for nothing.

At at the very least a punch straight in her face by Galahad(or any other servant seeing the master is human) or hit her with a bat straight in the head, it is impossible she can become any more stupid after the act.

This is Nero we're talking about here, you know that right.

After her mind control of the mc happened I can't halp but think of it being something like what the renegade in Zoats story does with his Godspeech.

Nero the New God of Stupidity.

This is Nero we're talking about here, you know that right.

After her mind control of the mc happened I can't halp but think of it being something like what the renegade in Zoats story does with his Godspeech.

Nero the New God of Stupidity.

I know real Nero was a self-centered dumbass, and I never played her route in EXTRA, nor paid attention to Septem (the most boring singularity in my opinion). But is she really this stupid and unlikable in the Nasuverse.

It it is a shame the master didn't summon Yan Qing, that way Nero could have been knocked out earlier for him to replace her through the whole thing. And the best think is, she is so full of herself that she will thing she resolved everything while sleeping.

Hmm, Is there anything stopping them from locking her up until the Singularity is resolved?

It is not impossible. They can do that and play an scene in which the master mentions that their emperor went ahead heroically or something that paints her like damn savior and left him in charge of the troops. They are so "loyal" to her that they might believe it if she is put in a good light.

I know real Nero was a self-centered dumbass, and I never played her route in EXTRA, nor paid attention to Septem (the most boring singularity in my opinion). But is she really this stupid and unlikable in the Nasuverse.

It it is a shame the master didn't summon Yan Qing, that way Nero could have been knocked out earlier for him to replace her through the whole thing. And the best think is, she is so full of herself that she will thing she resolved everything while sleeping.
No she's nowhere near this bad in canon, just the author is ignoring a lot of the Nasuverse side of things when it comes to her (including the fact that canon Nero can actually back up most of her boasts thanks to imperial privilege/Old humanity in Nasuverse being as strong/stronger than servants) and focusing more on the historical version of Nero (plus adding random 'beast' stuff into her backstory).

She's wasteful in someways and disdainful of the church but she was fairly competent when it came to fighting for example.

Honestly it's kind of offputting so i'm hoping this arc finishes soon, compared to the Fate Nero i'm familiar with this is basically some evil rando wearing a skinsuit.

No she's nowhere near this bad in canon, just the author is ignoring a lot of the Nasuverse side of things when it comes to her (including the fact that canon Nero can actually back up most of her boasts thanks to imperial privilege/Old humanity in Nasuverse being as strong/stronger than servants) and focusing more on the historical version of Nero (plus adding random 'beast' stuff into her backstory).

She's wasteful in someways and disdainful of the church but she was fairly competent when it came to fighting for example.

Honestly it's kind of offputting so i'm hoping this arc finishes soon, compared to the Fate Nero i'm familiar with this is basically some evil rando wearing a skinsuit.
An author lingering on a section of the story to bash a character they hate? Say it ain't so! /s

Chapter 55
I think I'm really starting to understand Spartacus, now. I didn't before, but now I'm really starting to get it. The rage. The desire to tear down those who have hurt you, and burn them and everyone like them, so nobody ever has to bear this indignity again. The refusal to ever be reduced to mere property again. I think I owe him an apology when I get back to Chaldea, to tell the truth.

But, all the same, it hasn't been easy. I had Cursed Arm kill and hide the bodies of the blacksmith and the praetorians who fitted me in this thing. It doesn't change that I still have to wear it, or else Her Imperial Majesty will get uppity. I could have her killed at any moment. That thought is a great comfort to me whenever she makes me go out on some menial task in order to "make sure I'm not getting ideas."

Boudica's been sympathetic, at least, as has Jing Ke. The latter seems to be contemplating trying to assassinate another Emperor. As for my Servants, well... Xuanzang healed my burns, although they left a nasty scar. Vlad was practically frothing at the mouth, and offered to stake her himself. Even Galahad was angry at her over this. It doesn't matter, though. The mission comes first. Humanity comes first. No matter what it costs me.

I nod to the soldier guarding my tent flap, who looks at me with pity in his eyes. It's been a fifty-fifty chance, really, of whether they look at me with pity or disgust. I think I hate the pitying ones more, though. They make it awfully hard to hate everything about the Empire.

The conference is today. Two days after the messenger arrived, and Nero decided to collar me. I walk, my Servants at my side, Georgios and Galahad flanking me, to join my Emperor.

"Ah! Carlus! Excellent to see you!" she calls cheerfully, as if we're the dearest of friends. "Are you prepared to bear witness as I triumph over the greatest king of Greece?"

"Indeed, my Emperor." I say, my face as harsh and inexpressive as stone. The white robe she's making me wear is a bit drafty. She won't allow me the costume armor any more, nor will she let me wear my proper uniform. I honestly think she enjoys forcing me to dress according to her whims.

"Yes!" she cheers, before strutting off to meet with the King of Conquerors. I follow silently, my Servants still flanking me.

---​

"Emperor Nero," Alexander the Great calls in greeting. I blink. He honestly looks nothing like the statues of him. Then again, the same could be said of Nero. "What do you want?"

She, of course, jumps at the opportunity to show off. "I desire no less than for you and all your foolish pack of dead men and traitors to bow down and pledge fealty to the one true Emperor of Rome, or else die!"

"Hm. Denied." Alexander clears his throat. "Perhaps I should make our position clear. King Romulus-" a great wave of awe-struck whispers goes through the troops at that- "is willing to set aside his dislike of you, forgiving you for your many, many, crimes and offering you a place as one of the many Emperors of the United Roman Empire. You'll be granted a territory to govern, and a seat in the Imperial Senate, that Rome's proud tradition of non-autocratic rule, established in the great age of the Republic, may continue, and the greatest men and women in Roman history might work together to build a brighter future!" He spreads his hands wide, seeming to be warming up as he talks, his volume rising as he goes. "So, Nero, what do you want? Why are you Emperor?"

"There is no emperor but me!" Nero snaps, black veins running through her eyes. "Your greatness is nothing compared to mine! Your insight is folly before mine! Your deeds are ash compared to mine!"

"Such audacity," Alexander rumbles. "And what, little Emperor, are your deeds? What dream have you, and what is your purpose?" He's indignant, but still challenging. Interesting.

"Great deeds are a waste of time," Nero replies, her tone scornful. "Conquest is folly, monuments a waste of good stone. While you who came before me wasted your time seeking greatness, I, born perfect, have attended to the purpose of a ruler."

"Which is?" Alexander asks, brows furrowed. He's testing her. I just don't know why.

"To let one's subjects die happy." Nero announces proudly. "What purpose do great deeds serve? What's the point in extending one's life? Why waste wealth and resources on power and expansion, when they can instead be directed towards ensuring that one's people go to their graves with smiles on their faces.?"

There's a pause, and Alexander looks just as fundamentally disturbed as I feel right now.

"I see, then." Alexander frowns. "You are fit neither to rule, nor to live."

Nero looks like she's been punched in the gut. "But-"

"Enough words. Draw your blade, or brand yourself a coward."

'Now.'

"Delusional Heartbeat: Zabaniya."

"All I Do Is Kill!"

The two Noble Phantasms hit the King of Conquerors at the same time. I honestly can't tell which one killed him. And, as he falls, the army behind him surges into action screaming about broken parley. In particular, the sharp-dressed emissary leads the charge, firing blasts of magic into our ranks and marking himself as a Caster Servant.

'Georgios.'

'On it. We will discuss your dishonorable actions later, my Master.'

I stare at the advancing battle line.

'Kojirou, drag the emperor back to safety. Galahad, protect me. Vlad, rip and tear until it's done.'

My orders are executed with clockwork precision. The unknown Caster Servant is easily overcome by Georgios (turns out that, against a heavily armored, skilled, and well trained knight they can't cast spells against, most mages die like lemmings. Who knew?) and Vlad throws the enemy into disarray. Off balance, and with their leaders killed right in front of them, the army is easily finished off.

---​

"Slave." Nero's furious. To be expected, really. Still, I have to restrain a mad grin that keeps trying to crawl up on my face. For once, I'm the one who managed to completely destroy her entire plan and leave her furious. "You broke the parley."

"Yes."

"Because you doubted me." ooh, she's absolutely livid, now. Might have to organize a coup if she tries to have me executed. "Because you believed that I would lose, in my fight against Alexander."

"Yes." Hm. Better throw her off-balance a bit. Present myself as her most loyal subject. "While your various flatterers may profit from your demise, and, as a consequence, encourage your flights of fancy, I believe that Rome stands to profit from your continued status as Emperor, and as such will not permit you to endanger your life in order to satisfy your delusions of martial prowess."

She snarls at that. But, all the same, I've made her doubt her yes-men. She can't throw me away while I might be the only one still loyal to her. "Give him ten lashes of the whip, and take down his tent. Let him sleep in the kennel with the hounds. It might remind him of his rightful station."

Joke's on her. I just got out of having to do her paperwork.

I have Cursed Arm kill the Praetorians overseeing my punishment and hide the bodies after the second lash, and Boudica's nice enough to let me sleep in her tent for the night (not that she needs to sleep, anyways.)

I honestly dislike Nero, and especially her presentation in Septem. Said hatred largely stems from my distaste for the fact that they decided to portray one of the most vicious persecutors of my faith as walking fap bait that can do no wrong. Especially since this is coming from the series that always casts Catholic priests as the bad guys.

Further, I'm lingering on the historical atrocities that the writers of Septem glossed over, presumably since they never did any research deeper than Wikipedia, namely the fact that yes, Nero was a slave owner, just like most of the Roman elite. And yes, the Roman practice of slavery was an inextricable part of their culture, and it was horrific.

Nasu and co. have already given Rome, and particularly Nero's good side plenty of time in the spotlight. I'm just here to remind you that their good side alone isn't even remotely close to an accurate representation of what Rome was like.

Ok, why exactly Is Cursed Arm considered weak?

Could have used some more character interaction instead of skipping over the reactions of the Servants, a lot of skipping reduces the characterization inherent.

Assassins are generally one of the weaker classes of Servants.

I honestly dislike Nero, and especially her presentation in Septem. Said hatred largely stems from my distaste for the fact that they decided to portray one of the most vicious persecutors of my faith as walking fap bait that can do no wrong. Especially since this is coming from the series that always casts Catholic priests as the bad guys.

Further, I'm lingering on the historical atrocities that the writers of Septem glossed over, presumably since they never did any research deeper than Wikipedia, namely the fact that yes, Nero was a slave owner, just like most of the Roman elite. And yes, the Roman practice of slavery was an inextricable part of their culture, and it was horrific.

Nasu and co. have already given Rome, and particularly Nero's good side plenty of time in the spotlight. I'm just here to remind you that their good side alone isn't even remotely close to an accurate representation of what Rome was like.

Yeah Nasu does tend to whitewash the Servants and the actions they committed in real life.

I like several of them even if they were bad people in real life, but I can see how some people can be annoyed.

There is this great slice of life fic called Fragments of Chaldea where the various Servants get some interesting characterizations that you may like.

Could have used some more character interaction instead of skipping over the reactions of the Servants, a lot of skipping reduces the characterization inherent.
True enough. Sorry, the whole ADHD thing makes it hard for me to go through all the steps of fleshing out the outline I have in my head. Thus, the skipping.

On the subject of Cursed Arm, he's not necessarily weak, just a bit overspecialized. Assassin Servants are naturally inclined towards killing people through any means necessary while they're off-guard. Consequently, in a straight-up fight, he's out of his depth. Beyond that, his Zabaniya' instant-death effect can be negated by a high enough Mana or Luck stat, which renders it a little unreliable. So, while he's a great Servant for finishing off powerful enemies while they're off guard, or killing enemy commanders, he's not someone who's good in a fair fight.

True enough. Sorry, the whole ADHD thing makes it hard for me to go through all the steps of fleshing out the outline I have in my head. Thus, the skipping.

On the subject of Cursed Arm, he's not necessarily weak, just a bit overspecialized. Assassin Servants are naturally inclined towards killing people through any means necessary while they're off-guard. Consequently, in a straight-up fight, he's out of his depth. Beyond that, his Zabaniya' instant-death effect can be negated by a high enough Mana or Luck stat, which renders it a little unreliable. So, while he's a great Servant for finishing off powerful enemies while they're off guard, or killing enemy commanders, he's not someone who's good in a fair fight.

That isn't so bad, assassin are meant to deal with problems in an effective way and quickly. The only servant I fail to see as an assassin is regent

Delusional Heartbeat is no-sold by a high Mana stat, a high Luck stat, has a wind-up that breaks stealth and a low maximum range.
Also, his low pure combat prowess means a lot of Servants can absolutely murder him in a straight up fight.

So if he can proc, he's a fight winner, but he might also end up doing literally nothing and unless enemies are pinned or heavily distracted, they can smack him when he starts doing the thing or get out of range.

Chapter 56
I wake up with a start, after a particularly disturbing nightmare in which I was trapped on a deserted ship with Nero. Galahad's in the tent with me, looking at me.

"Do I have something on my face?" I ask blearily.

"Flynn." He snaps, and focus my attention on him more fully. "Why are you putting up with this? You could overthrow her at any moment. With seven of us, you could massacre this entire army and then have us lock her away. You don't have to endure this."

I pause, thinking it over. "True enough. But the enemy has an army as well, and, more importantly, they have Servants hostile to us. I we go in with a force purely comprised of Servants, they'll bog us down and have their Servants pick us off while we're stuck fighting cannon fodder. Nero's army is essential to victory. We might be able to win without it, but that victory would be far more costly. Thus, the price of keeping this army, and our raised chances of victory, is my suffering, and letting Nero think she's in charge." I pause, and then laugh. "In exchange for saving the world? I'll pay that price."

Galahad nods, and then smiles. "I see. I suppose you might be worth having as a Master, after all."

I blink as he gets up and leaves.

Seriously, what just happened?

I wake up with a start, after a particularly disturbing nightmare in which I was trapped on a deserted ship with Nero. Galahad's in the tent with me, looking at me.

"Do I have something on my face?" I ask blearily.

"Flynn." He snaps, and focus my attention on him more fully. "Why are you putting up with this? You could overthrow her at any moment. With seven of us, you could massacre this entire army and then have us lock her away. You don't have to endure this."

I pause, thinking it over. "True enough. But the enemy has an army as well, and, more importantly, they have Servants hostile to us. I we go in with a force purely comprised of Servants, they'll bog us down and have their Servants pick us off while we're stuck fighting cannon fodder. Nero's army is essential to victory. We might be able to win without it, but that victory would be far more costly. Thus, the price of keeping this army, and our raised chances of victory, is my suffering, and letting Nero think she's in charge." I pause, and then laugh. "In exchange for saving the world? I'll pay that price."

Galahad nods, and then smiles. "I see. I suppose you might be worth having as a Master, after all."

I blink as he gets up and leaves.

Seriously, what just happened?
The only good thing resulting out of this singularity.

Chapter 57
"Right." I look around the table that I and all the Servants have set up at. "Nero has pretty much forbidden me to participate in her strategy meeting. This means that the strategy for the next battle will be entirely Nero's, and, as such, we can pretty much write off this entire legion."

Xing Ke raises her hand hesitantly. "is she really that bad? I mean, I've never actually seen her lead her own troops, so-"

"I will bet you fifty sesterces that her entire strategy is 'everybody run at them as fast as you can and hit them really hard.'" Vlad interrupts. Beside him, Boudica nods.

"So, yes, she's probably going to get every soldier in this entire army killed. That's okay, though, we were mostly keeping them around to use them as cannon fodder, and the Singularity will hopefully have been resolved once this battle is finished."

"Master, what did we say about the sanctity of human life?" Georgios says, giving me a look.

"That I shouldn't disrespect or trivialize it. I know. But these men knew what they were getting into when they signed up. They knew that they might die in the service of their home, and they took that risk willingly. Their deaths, here and now, are in the defense of their home, and of all of humanity. I think that, if they had a choice, they wouldn't mind a death like this."

"Well said, Master," Vlad says. The other Servants' doubts seem to have been alleviated as well.

"So. The real challenge is how we neutralize the enemies' Servants, and confront the Grail's Holder. Cursed Arm will be running as my observer, picking out the enemy's Servants so I can coordinate you on how to group up and kill them." Nods all around. "Nero will probably invite herself along while we storm the palace, but by that point we won't really need her. We can just knock her out and hide her somewhere, with a guard on hand in case she wakes up." That one gets some smiles.

"So. Any questions?"

Sad as that may be (and speaking as a catholic myself) your inability to separate a fictional character from their historical counterpart has become an issue and reached the point where it's actively detracting from the story.

For all that you may hate the character she's based on Fate Nero and historical Nero have very different stories/backgrounds, the Nasuverse as a whole is built on this entire premise when it comes to servants as many of their backgrounds differ in some ways from their own historical counterparts.

As for the slavery have you considered that the writers actually did research everything and then just decided not to put it in because it doesn't fit with the story they wanted? Most people don't feel like writing critical levels of edge and grimderp for the sake of historical accuracy in a world of fiction, especially when it comes to anime/manga/VN's set in a different universe with the ready made excuse of it all being an alt-history. You might not like it but at the end of the day the writers are there to tell a story not give people a history lesson accompanied by torture porn so their readers/viewers can see just how awful certain people are/what real slavery was like.

You would of been better off sighing, skipping over her actions and moving as fast as possible through this arc (or at least having the SI go completely off the rails and not ally with Nero at all) instead of wasting so much of your wordcount bashing an alternate version of someone who has been dead for centuries.

"There is no emperor but me!" Nero snaps, black veins running through her eyes. "Your greatness is nothing compared to mine! Your insight is folly before mine! Your deeds are ash compared to mine!"

"Such audacity," Alexander rumbles. "And what, little Emperor, are your deeds? What dream have you, and what is your purpose?" He's indignant, but still challenging. Interesting.

"Great deeds are a waste of time," Nero replies, her tone scornful. "Conquest is folly, monuments a waste of good stone. While you who came before me wasted your time seeking greatness, I, born perfect, have attended to the purpose of a ruler."

"Which is?" Alexander asks, brows furrowed. He's testing her. I just don't know why.

"To let one's subjects die happy." Nero announces proudly. "What purpose do great deeds serve? What's the point in extending one's life? Why waste wealth and resources on power and expansion, when they can instead be directed towards ensuring that one's people go to their graves with smiles on their faces.?"

There's a pause, and Alexander looks just as fundamentally disturbed as I feel right now.

This (especially the bold part) is just ridiculously over the top and the point where i drop this story, maximising the grimderp so you can write about your MC angsting over how evil this person you don't like is is stupid as hell. Its made worse for the fact you keep doing this every other chapter since this arc started: beating slaves here, killing slaves there, send them to a plantation, did i mention she's evil yet?, bam she's now the anti-christ, the world suffers while she exists, MOAR EDGE SO YOU CAN SEE HOW EVIL SHE IS'.

It's become incredibly stale, we get it, you don't like her, Nero evil, etc etc.

This isn't a case of me getting annoyed for the sake of 'mah waifu' (and honestly she's kind of meh for me, i'm just a huge nerd when it comes to fate lore which your butchery of is annoying) but because the entire thing is basically you throwing a literary temper tantrum and sabotaging your own work for the sake of sticking it to a dead guy, it serves noone and tanks the quality of your writing.

It's sad because the story started off being a step above most FGO SI's but your inability to remove your own authorial bias has slowly caused the whole thing to devolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back