• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Hyrule Rising (Zelda/Modern)

[X] No

A little ridicule is worth the price for not betraying who you are.

[X] Dance

Boogie down! Also maybe useful to being a magical dervish later or something, I 'unno.

People... While this might be a quest with Zelda-verse characters, the QM is gibbs.
To voters new to his Quests, his alternate name is TPK (Total Party Kill), to give you an idea.

Please pick subjects that can help Zelda survive a Fallout setting.

Quoting the QM, "I'm sick of lulzy votes."

I hold that the math->science->engineering tree will be useful to survive a setting like fallout, when we find all kinds of zany devices we want to reactivate/salvage.

Should you attempt to hide this abnormality?
[X] No

What is your most favorite subject? Pick one. Results will be ordered to form a hierarchy of preference. The various choices will 'level up' the more you select options in the same line over the years.
[X] Dance

I maintain that Dance will allow us to survive in a post-apocalyptic setting (like fallout)

It will keep us fit and flexible whilst also being stylish (Also higher levels are sure to unlock break dancing martial arts)

You are twelve years old. Expecting training to provide a physical boost is foolish that young, so dancing is a social skill at this point. Pursuing dance up several age brackets will yield physical skills, yes, but only once you reach an age at which new options for physical skills will be available.

Seriously, remember how old you are.

[] Foreign Languages
[] Handwriting
[] Drawing
[] Dance
[] Mathematics
[] Poetry
[] Music
[] History
[] Literature
I think the way we should be prioritizing these mental skills is as follows.
  1. Mathematics: The key to unlocking anything mental and not language based worth having The very building block of scientific endeavors.
  2. Drawing: To imagine allows you to build. To sketch allows others to carry your dreams as well. This skill could lead into making blueprints, and stand a better chance at making the same thing TWICE.
  3. History: The path we come from is well lit. By standing by those lamp posts, perhaps we can see glimpses of possible futures as well.
  4. Foreign Languages: Now is the time. If we ever want a good grasp of multiple tongues, we cannot wait until later. Truly, we should have started SOONER, and that lack thus far is the only reason this choice sits so low, for already it will be more difficult than it may have been.
  5. Handwriting: Much like drawing, to share our dreams.
  6. Dance: This does not offer us much, but it will at least hopefully allow us to keep some of the flexibility of childhood. It is poor at this purpose, and if gymnastics were an option, that would shoot to the top, but alas...
  7. Literature: There are words which, when unknown, paint you as ignorant. It might be worth knowing them if only to avoid this.
  8. Music: The appearance of culture in this field is useful in many circles.
  9. Poetry: I guess we can use this to be almost as good as literature and music?

Anyways, with the way this vote runs, we get less out of many votes for the same option, and more out of significant votes for MANY options. As such, with well enough votes for math already, I'll be moving my vote.
[X] Drawing

Last edited:
I'll be updating earlier tonight, as soon as I get off and have a bite to eat.

If you don't like the results, then this is crunch time.

Guys, spread out your votes a bit more. Math is important, but it shouldn't be the only thing we're voting for.

[x] No
[x] History

I can't update if the vote's tied every time I check on it.

[X] Handwriting
[X] No

Please can exactly three people move their votes from Dance to something which has zero votes, or, if everything is at least one, one vote?

Last edited:
Should you attempt to hide this abnormality?
[XXXXXXXXXX] Yes redaeth, cassiemouse, ct613hulu, biigoh, grosstoad, xicree, thebsdude, cpttagon, xilph, Darkened,
[XXXXXXX] No bailey matutine, stackeddeck, bfldyq, totalabsolutism, benignbrokenboundaries, wootius, jiven,

What is your most favorite subject? Pick one. Results will be ordered to form a hierarchy of preference. The various choices will 'level up' the more you select options in the same line over the years.
[XXXXX] Dance redaeth, ct613hulu, totalabsolutism, benignbrokenboundaries, jiven,
[XXX] Mathematics cassiemouse, biigoh, thebsdude,
[XXX] History stackeddeck, grosstoad, wootius,
[XX] Foreign Languages bfldyq, capttagon,
[XX] Handwriting bailey matutine, darkened,
[X] Drawing xilph,
[X] Music xicree,
[] Poetry
[] Literature

And there's the winning votes. I'll let this stew for half an hour or so to figure out how it's going to work, and then I'll update.

By the way, if anybody finds a picture of a young, serious-looking golden-blond girl that'll work for a profile picture, I'll give you an in-story hat. People like hats, right?

EDIT BY SQUIRRELLY: LINKS BELLOW CONTAIN NSFW ADS. VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK. OR PLEASURE.​

http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=2443856
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=2430392
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=2439658

Hmm, all the pictures I've looked at so far have them smiling, except for these. And they are sleeping, jeesh. I'll keep looking.

http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=2364488
This one isn't bad, at least its not another school uniform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. Was gonna make a commentary about... Oh, well, why not?

Meta-wise, we know Zelda is most likely the recipient of the Triforce of Wisdom and is the chosen/favored of Nayru. As it is, in character, we only know that she has a total (limits unproven) eidetic memory. This grants young Zelda the an unparalleled opportunity to really delve into static knowledge lessons, since she will memorize everything she reads.

This really opens up the option of History, and the cliche of not repeating the failures of the past.

Of course, that only gives her the theories and the facts (and perhaps opinions and bias of the writers of said history books), not the practical application of it.

Now this is where Mathematics comes in, as Math is not just applying formulas to a problem, but also trains parameter-recognition and problem-solving. Static problems with known parameters will be so easily solved, but once Zelda is introduced to math problems couched on real world terms, then she will start to really be pushed.

Also brought to the attention is the probability that Math is the introductory subject to Science subjects, which might have good applications on a Fallout setting.

Now, practical application also highlights a problem with eidetic memory. With perfect recall, once one delved deep into past knowledge, then almost all problems can be solved by the book, so to speak. But what about the small number of unknown circumstances and condition?

History and Math might cover such problems, in between problem-solving and past-strategies/tactics, one might develop the ability to parse, adapt, and/or combine previous solutions when faced with new problems.

On the other hand, perfect recall stunts creativity somewhat.

For instance, Zelda might memorize musical notations, pitch, harmony, dance steps, poise and pose, with an eery precision. Muscle memory might slow her down until properly trained, but once shown a picture, a technique, a dance, or a song, with practice, Zelda can probably recreate it down to the smallest details.

This is not to say what art that Zelda exhibits would not have 'soul'. Far from it, in fact, her art will have 'soul', just that it is the 'soul' of the ones that Zelda plagiarized.

Now, the decision to make her own impression of an art compared to just copying is probably going to be voters' pick, but most art at the base level is imitation. It is not until intermediary stage that one is expected to show personal touches, or 'soul', after all.

Dance, Music, Drawing, Poetry, and Literature, a number of these skills might have secondary applications (Drawing > Spatial Intuition; Dance > Kinesthetic; Music > Charm; Poetry & Literature > Myths), but the primary expression for Art is kind of wasted on the perfect memory of Zelda.

Getting past Arts and any secondary application of them, we have Foreign Languages and Handwriting.

Now, Foreign Languages is a door to first contact situations. Of course, against races or mutants with totally unknown language, this might be practically useless, but the introductory to language barrier might -might- open up Diplomacy subjects. Handwriting is... Uh, well, part and parcel of written Diplomacy, but again, against targets with different alphabet or no reading/writing skills, then it is practically useless.

Of course, combination between Foreign Languages and Handwriting might help decode stuff like ancient manuscripts and such from the various ruins of the world, but that is abit reaching and require more investment, I guess.

For those who take the time to read this essay that comes from out of nowhere, I give you my thanks.

CAVEAT: This is all pure assumptions from my part. :)

Thirteen years old.

You open your eyes and breath out to calm your nerves. Saying true things, solving equations, those are easy.

Saying the wrong thing in the right way is hard.

Your tutors have all noticed something, and as you raise yourself up on one leg, the other extended, you thank heaven that physical exercise isn't something that you can naturally breeze through like book learning. The mistakes you make in positioning your body, in keeping rhythm and time, those are natural mistakes.

The music shifts and you move with it, arcing your arms up as your leg returns to the floor, turning at the same time. This is the tricky part, and if you don't keep your balance you'll- "Whoah!"

You slip, and have a single stunning moment of clarity before you begin to topple. Ohnodrat! Ouch!"

The wooden floor is hard and unyielding, and when you clamber back to your feet the fat tutor seems to take some small pleasure in your failure. He smiles, but quickly smothers it. "Again, miss Zelda."

He presses the button on the music player and once again the arrangement starts, and you begin to raise your leg.

-- -- --

An hour later you sit down, feeling refreshed after a quick shower and putting on a change of clothes. The topic of this lesson is mathematics, specifically in interpreting word problems, forming them into their proper equations and then solving them. It's simple fare so you don't bother making any mistakes, though math is one of the easiest subjects to fake them in. All you have to do is divide the wrong number or perform an addition error, and then let that carry forward.

Hm. A man moves at a rate for a time, then at another rate for a time. Find his average rate. Distance 1 is r1*t1, d2 is r2*t2, df is d1+d2, then tf is t1+t2, solve and . . . easy.

The next is geometry, and they've given all the different sides in different units as well. Joy.

This is going to be one of those lessons, isn't it?

-- -- --

History is fascinating.

It's just so hard to slow down when you can open up a book and keep reading for hours, and the beginnings of the Latin lessons you've been through help make the long words in the more scientific ones tolerable. All of the things that you're brought from outside your rooms have been taken apart, cleaned, and put back together, but it's most obvious with the books.

Not that you care.

You imagine that most of the books would rather have their nice new covers than whatever they had before anyway, if they could have a preference. This one especially is nice. It's about the history of flight, and is absolutely wonderful. It's got these big illustrations that take up two pages at once, and the way the airplanes seem to morph over the years is magical.

The strong lines of the latter designs, the jets and airliners, are beautiful to look at, but there's something about the delicate frailty of the canvas-winged ones. The sleek designs were like fish, or birds, and you can scarcely imagine what it must have been like to soar through the air in one with the motor purring beneath you like a great beast, gliding through the sky on its wings . . .

It's warm, and you're tired.

You fall asleep.

sample_86123de307b117fd3be66a01a982f566_jpg_2439.jpg

You are thirteen years old, and you have discovered books.

Do you request more books?
[] Yes
[] No

Language (English)
Language (English), Formal Etiquette, Piano, Mathematics
Foreign Language, History, Mathematics, Dance

Pick one subject from the list. The top half of the options with votes will be studied in more depth in the following year, while you will gain no additional proficiency with the others.
[] Dance
[] Algebra
[] Geometry
[] History
[] Language (Spanish)
[] Language (French)
[] Language (English)
[] Poetry
[] Formal Etiquette
[] Drawing
[] Piano
[] Biology
[] Physics
[] Computer Science
[] Home Ec.

[X] Yes

[X] Home Ec.

Guys, diversify votes. Try to give every option at least one vote because we will flat out get more skills.

[X] Yes

Should be a very useful skill if we can get enough science from it, the technical details of computers are what's required to build and repair them, programming should be easy with our perfect memory and a little practice.

Last edited:
Even though I was the one that picked that one out... soooooo cute.

[X] Yes
I'll continue to vote dance since I'm the one who proposed it first last time. so...

[X] Dance

Biology, Physics (beginner ones), and History are mostly hard facts that can be memorized (and fake failed) when needed.
Algebra, Geometry, and Computer Science are harder to fake results in, but doable.
Languages~
Unsure whether Formal Etiquette is our ticket into Diplomacy.

[] Yes
[] History

Last edited:
[X] Yes

[X] Home Ec.

Guys, diversify votes. Try to give every option at least one vote because we will flat out get more skills.
That isn't quite true, only 4-5 choices made it, despite the fact that we in fact voted for 6 things.

[x] Yes
[x] Physics

That isn't quite true, only 4 choices made it, despite the fact that we in fact voted for 6 things.

Pick one subject from the list. The top half of the options with votes will be studied in more depth in the following year, while you will gain no additional proficiency with the others.

If we pick every option, 7 or 8 skills will get bonuses. If we focus votes on 3 skills, 1/2 will get bonuses. Look at the mechanics on the post before this. Are they the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back